|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of the noises in the wall?
2. How does Mr. Grouch get in and out of the house?
3. What are Mr. Grouch's least agreeable characteristics?
4. Jerome is happy to camp out, and it makes him feel...
5. Why does Jerome check his fireplace before lighting a fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Donald is spying on Jerome Kildee's house from the woods. What might this tell us about the time of history in which the book was written?
2. What is different now about Emma Lou's dinner invitation?
3. After carving Charmine's gravestone, what is Jerome inspired to do next? Why?
4. When Jerome wakes up, the little fawn is hungry. What makes this passage humorous?
5. What does Jerome gather from Old Grouch's behavior while the baby skunks are under the house? What might his conclusions reveal about his own past?
6. What do we learn in this chapter about Jerome's marital status?
7. There is a telling sentence about Jerome's relationships with women in the description of Emma Lou. Do a close reading and discuss some possible meanings.
8. What breaks the ice between Jerome Kildee and Emma Lou Eppy?
9. What does Jerome assume about the status of Papa skunk when the new babies arrive?
10. Discuss Jerome's camping experience.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Montgomery deal with the authoritative nature of Jim Hinkle? Is Hinkle an aggressive or over-zealous enforcer of the law? How does Emma Lou's attitude change toward game wardens after spending a day with Jim Hinkle? Why would HInkle come from Santa Cruz all the way up to the redwoods to check on this complaint?
Essay Topic 2
The dogs in this story are functional members of their owners' farms. They are not coddled or groomed, but perform work to earn their keep. Write an essay on the history of using dogs for hunting in earlier decades. What other jobs were performed by hounds and Dobermans? Compare them to the same breeds today, and discuss their function in today's household.
Essay Topic 3
Is Jerome simply a former stonecutter? Discuss how his true talents come out in his old age, and what inspires him to become more creative. Why did he not use his creativity as much when he was working? What gap in his life might this new creativity fill?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)