|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tasty dessert did Jerome make for Emma Lou?
2. Emma feels that Roger Donald is...
3. Why did Donald Roger pay a visit to Jerome?
4. How is Jerome able to tolerate skunks in the house?
5. What are the raccoons doing that keeps Jerome awake all night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the sense of mourning in the house over Charmine's demise.
2. What can we learn about the Eppy family, based on the description of their arrival at the redwood grove which would become their home?
3. What makes Jerome feel better about the lonesomeness of his home?
4. Why does Emma Lou, initially, want to pay a visit to Jerome?
5. When Jerome wakes up, the little fawn is hungry. What makes this passage humorous?
6. There is a telling sentence about Jerome's relationships with women in the description of Emma Lou. Do a close reading and discuss some possible meanings.
7. How does Jerome deal with the rats who have nested in his wall?
8. How does Emma Lou know the mountain lion is gone? Why doesn't she tell Jerome?
9. To what is Jerome referring, when he tells Old Grouch, "I have missed much."
10. What might Jerome mean when he tells Old Grouch that he was "licked" when he arrived here?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of taming wild raccoons. Research to find out what kinds of problems, laws and other issues face people who allow raccoons to become pets. In conclusion, advise and convince your audience as to your educated opinion on domesticating raccoons.
Essay Topic 2
Is Jerome simply a former stonecutter? Discuss how his true talents come out in his old age, and what inspires him to become more creative. Why did he not use his creativity as much when he was working? What gap in his life might this new creativity fill?
Essay Topic 3
How does Montgomery deal with the authoritative nature of Jim Hinkle? Is Hinkle an aggressive or over-zealous enforcer of the law? How does Emma Lou's attitude change toward game wardens after spending a day with Jim Hinkle? Why would HInkle come from Santa Cruz all the way up to the redwoods to check on this complaint?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)