|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tasty dessert did Jerome make for Emma Lou?
2. How does Jerome manage to protect his food?
3. To what strange place does Mrs. Grouch move her children?
4. How did Charmine punish the runt of her litter?
5. By chewing up his letters, what do the mice accomplish for Jerome?
Short Essay Questions
1. There is a telling sentence about Jerome's relationships with women in the description of Emma Lou. Do a close reading and discuss some possible meanings.
2. Why does Jerome consider taking a floorboard out?
3. Why would a person use a store window for the front of his home?
4. Donald is spying on Jerome Kildee's house from the woods. What might this tell us about the time of history in which the book was written?
5. Looking back at this chapter, what stands out as ironic, given the outcome of the story?
6. Why is it nerve-wracking for Donald Roger to show up at Jerome's house in this chapter?
7. Write a short essay about the subtle clues regarding Jerome's life. This is something of a fantasy story, but there are real life elements that are only mentioned in passing. What are they, and what do they indicate?
8. To what is Jerome referring, when he tells Old Grouch, "I have missed much."
9. Why does Emma Lou, initially, want to pay a visit to Jerome?
10. What makes Jerome feel better about the lonesomeness of his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several life lessons implied in this story. In terms of Kildee himself, what has he learned from the animals and children? Are these life lessons normally learned in old age? How could a man go through his life and not learn them until he is elderly? What might the conditions be?
Essay Topic 2
There are many clues throughout the story that suggest that Donald Cabot comes from a wealthy family, including his dog who is of the "bluest blood." Do a careful reading and determine what kind of people the Cabots are, and what kind of kid Donald is. Is he spoiled and indulged? Does he take for granted his resources and his family's position? Prove your point with text.
Essay Topic 3
Written in 1948, Montgomery mentions Kildee's use of Dutch Cleanser and Clorox bleach. These products are still available to American consumers. However, there is much that has changed since this story was written. Comb through the story and find at least three examples of ideas and things that would be out of place if this story were written today. Compare and contrast Montgomery's story with a similar story that might be written today. You may need to do some research on the region of the northern California Redwoods.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)