Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The skunks and Emma Lou are...
2. The Eppy house was located...
3. How does Jerome feel about carving a headstone for Charmine?
4. Moving Runt's box requires Jerome to...
5. Who is Emma Lou Eppy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Looking back at this chapter, what stands out as ironic, given the outcome of the story?
2. What does Jerome assume about the status of Papa skunk when the new babies arrive?
3. Briefly summarize up the happy-ending pieces to this story.
4. How do Jim Hinkle and Jerome become friends?
5. Why has Donald come to visit Jerome?
6. What can the reader deduce about Jerome's cooking skills? Why?
7. Although Jerome has given up stonecutting, his reaction to making Charmine's gravestone is interesting. Discuss what might be happening in this regard.
8. Discuss Jerome's scheme. Was he taking a risk? Why, or why not?
9. What makes Jerome feel better about the lonesomeness of his home?
10. Is there some symbolism in Jerome experiencing the huge storm that moved his redwood tree?
Write an essay on the subject of taming wild raccoons. Research to find out what kinds of problems, laws and other issues face people who allow raccoons to become pets. In conclusion, advise and convince your audience as to your educated opinion on domesticating raccoons.
Based upon the date the story was written, speculate the origins of the Eppy family. Could they have been refugees from the dust bowl disaster? Consider Emma Lou's propensity to carry on a feud, as well as her family yell. Compose a fictional account of the Eppys' journey to northern California.
Explore the first real turning point in the story that bonds Kildee and Emma Lou, and drives an even more severe wedge between Emma Lou and Donald Cabot. What is the real source of Emma's and Jerome's grief? Why do they become so upset to lose one of the raccoons, when they have so many to enjoy? What qualities have they assigned to Charmine? Why do they not grieve, for example, the death of the pack rats who are killed by skunks?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)