|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a team effort, Donald and Emma Lou share the task of...
(a) Setting the table
(b) Mashing the potatoes
(c) Gathering up corn cobs
(d) Husking the corn and feeding the raccoons
2. Now out on his own, Monarch ...
(a) No longer visits the house
(b) Is Donald's best friend
(c) Has disappeared from the area
(d) Wanders around in the yard
3. Why does Donald not want to fight with Emma Lou?
(a) He is afraid of hurting her
(b) He doesn't want a scene
(c) He would never live it down
(d) He knows she is stronger than him
4. To make sure there are no fur farmers among the buyers who want the animals,...
(a) Donald's father is having them checked out
(b) The Eppys are interviewing every one of them
(c) Emma will threaten them with her rifle
(d) Ben Eppy will question them
5. It worries Jerome that Donald might...
(a) Report him again to Hinkle
(b) Step on the baby raccoons
(c) Encounter Emma Lou on his visits
(d) Take away all the animals
Short Answer Questions
1. Jerome is weary from...
2. Emma Lou and Donald...
3. As food for the raccoons, Donald has brought...
4. The skunks startle and run out the door when...
5. When the children leave together, Jerome realizes that...
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jerome generate the spirit of Christmas in preparation for the party? Again, compare this to a Christmas party you might have at home.
2. Why does Donald choose to go to the country school where Emma goes? Does he have hidden motives?
3. Discuss the pipe smoking among the Eppy men. Would this seem unusual today?
4. Is there some symbolism in Jerome experiencing the huge storm that moved his redwood tree?
5. What new thing does the reader learn about Jerome Kildee in this chapter?
6. What can the reader deduce about Jerome's cooking skills? Why?
7. Discuss what Emma has managed to teach the skunks to do as tricks.
8. With the entire Eppy family present, and the large amounts of food on the table, how has Jerome's small house been transformed?
9. Briefly summarize up the happy-ending pieces to this story.
10. Discuss Emma Lou's response to the discovery that Donald has been visiting Jerome. How is Jerome affected?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)