|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jerome seems now to be needing...
(a) More sunshine
(b) More food
(c) More sleep
(d) A housekeeper
2. Emma Lou gives Jerome a present for Christmas that...
(a) She traded her beany for
(b) She carved from stone
(c) She has made for him
(d) She bought for him in town
3. Jerome's house seems ...
(a) Unusually messy
(b) Dark and dank
(c) Cold and unwelcoming
(d) More crowded than usual
4. Regarding the Eppys' long walk home,...
(a) Jerome frets about their safety
(b) Jerome decides to check on them
(c) Jerome wishes they had stayed
(d) Jerome is not worried
5. Jerome decides to give Emma...
(a) Ten dollars and Old Grouch
(b) Ten dollars and dinner
(c) Ten dollars and an ornament
(d) Ten dollars and his statue of Old Grouch
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jerome not enjoying the spring weather?
2. Emma Lou promises to return at 7 p.m. to...
3. Now out on his own, Monarch ...
4. Jerome is waiting for Emma Lou to...
5. While Jerome and Emma decorate the house,...
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there some symbolism in Jerome experiencing the huge storm that moved his redwood tree?
2. Discuss Emma Lou's response to the discovery that Donald has been visiting Jerome. How is Jerome affected?
3. What becomes clear about Donald's need to compete with Emma Lou? What is his problem with her?
4. Why has Donald come to visit Jerome?
5. What can the reader deduce about Jerome's cooking skills? Why?
6. Discuss what Emma has managed to teach the skunks to do as tricks.
7. Emma Lou's life is busier than today's students'. Describe her day and compare it to your own.
8. When Emma proves that Monarch's mother was killed by a lion, how does she react? How does she feel about her reaction?
9. Discuss Jerome's scheme. Was he taking a risk? Why, or why not?
10. Discuss Donald's idea for solving Jerome's animal population explosion.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)