|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jerome seems now to be needing...
(a) More sunshine
(b) More sleep
(c) A housekeeper
(d) More food
2. The original idea to pen the deer was that of ...
(b) Donald Roger's
(c) Emma Lou's
3. Emma asks Jerome if she can fix...
(a) A piece of venison for the brood
(b) An egg and bacon for herself
(c) His cabinet openers
(d) A slice of toast for him
4. All of the Eppy men, including young Ben, decide to ...
(a) Smoke a pipe
(b) Rest for a while
(c) Enjoy the tree
(d) Interrogate Jerome
5. Regarding the Eppys' long walk home,...
(a) Jerome decides to check on them
(b) Jerome is not worried
(c) Jerome frets about their safety
(d) Jerome wishes they had stayed
Short Answer Questions
1. Emma Lou has been eating quite a bit of...
2. Jerome asks Emma to come the following evening...
3. On one of his visits, Donald brought...
4. For Christmas presents, Jerome...
5. Emma Lou and Donald...
Short Essay Questions
1. Discus Jerome's developing attitude toward Donald. Why does he not go ahead and welcome Donald to come visit?
2. Why does Donald choose to go to the country school where Emma goes? Does he have hidden motives?
3. What is it about the spotted skunks that is special?
4. Jerome is more comfortable with Emma Lou and Donald now. Why?
5. Poor Jerome is discouraged. How do we know this?
6. Why is Jerome feeling stressful?
7. Why does Jerome decide to give Emma money for Christmas, rather than a gift?
8. Is there some symbolism in Jerome experiencing the huge storm that moved his redwood tree?
9. What becomes clear about Donald's need to compete with Emma Lou? What is his problem with her?
10. Discuss the pipe smoking among the Eppy men. Would this seem unusual today?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)