|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Donald arrives at Jerome's house, carrying...
(a) Lunch for everyone
(b) Papa skunk
(c) A handful of paper
(d) A bag of corn
2. Donald apologizes to Jerome for having been...
3. Jerome needs a walk, but he sits, instead, because...
(a) He is waiting for company
(b) He is too weary to walk
(c) He is afraid the raccoons will eat his mattress
(d) He cannot leave the baby skunks
4. At this point, Jerome is housing...
(a) Fifteen babies
(b) Twenty-five pack rats
(c) Twenty-five skunks
(d) Twenty-five raccoons
5. As food for the raccoons, Donald has brought...
(a) Chicken scraps
(b) Fresh eggs
(c) Green corn
(d) Canned corn
Short Answer Questions
1. For the first time in many years, Jerome...
2. To find out about shipping the animals, Donald has written to...
3. Emma sees the corn cobs on the floor and...
4. Why does Donald not want to fight with Emma Lou?
5. Jerome wants to consider...
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Jerome's scheme. Was he taking a risk? Why, or why not?
2. What can the reader deduce about Jerome's cooking skills? Why?
3. How do Jim Hinkle and Jerome become friends?
4. Why is Jerome feeling stressful?
5. What becomes clear about Donald's need to compete with Emma Lou? What is his problem with her?
6. Is there some symbolism in Jerome experiencing the huge storm that moved his redwood tree?
7. Discuss the pipe smoking among the Eppy men. Would this seem unusual today?
8. What is it about the spotted skunks that is special?
9. Why does Donald choose to go to the country school where Emma goes? Does he have hidden motives?
10. How does Jerome generate the spirit of Christmas in preparation for the party? Again, compare this to a Christmas party you might have at home.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)