|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jerome begins to be aware of the fact that...
(a) Emma Lou is becoming a constant visitor
(b) His house desperately needs cleaning
(c) The animal population in his house is going to grow
(d) Winter is coming on
2. Why does Emma Lou dislike the other neighbor, Donald?
(a) He is mean and aggressive
(b) He is cold to Jerome Kildee
(c) He does not respect women
(d) His dog kills wildlife
3. When Donald Roger hears Emma Lou approaching the cabin, he...
(a) Hides under the table
(b) Climbs up into the chimney
(c) Hides under Jerome's bed
(d) Runs out into the woods
4. Mama and Papa are taking their babies out at night to...
(a) Play freely
(b) Help them learn to see in the dark
(c) Teach them to hunt
(d) Teach them defense skills
5. The figure of Charmine on the stone looks like Charmine when she...
(a) Went on guard to protect her babies
(b) Tried to wake Jerome in the morning for breakfast
(c) Peeked over the edge of her box at Jerome
(d) Stalked prey for food
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emma Lou feel about Donald?
2. A luxury Jerome enjoys now that he is retired is...
3. Donald Roger has made a habit of...
4. What made Emma Lou finally decide to go to Jerome's door?
5. The Eppys like to have...
Short Essay Questions
1. What can we learn about the Eppy family, based on the description of their arrival at the redwood grove which would become their home?
2. Why does Emma Lou, initially, want to pay a visit to Jerome?
3. What makes Jerome feel better about the lonesomeness of his home?
4. When Jerome wakes up, the little fawn is hungry. What makes this passage humorous?
5. After carving Charmine's gravestone, what is Jerome inspired to do next? Why?
6. What is different now about Emma Lou's dinner invitation?
7. Why does Jerome consider taking a floorboard out?
8. Why does Strong Heart come barking toward Jerome's house? What happens to him?
9. Although Jerome has given up stonecutting, his reaction to making Charmine's gravestone is interesting. Discuss what might be happening in this regard.
10. What can we assume about Emma, based on her trip through the blackberry patch and her prized beany?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)