|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emma Lou has been helping her mother, Cilly, by...
(a) Turning the washer ringer
(b) Hanging out clothes
(c) Cooking breakfast
(d) Scrubbing floors
2. Who is Ben Eppy?
(a) Emma's brother in law
(b) Emma's father
(c) The Eppys' youngest son
(d) An uncle to Emma
3. Why does Emma Lou dislike the other neighbor, Donald?
(a) He is cold to Jerome Kildee
(b) He is mean and aggressive
(c) His dog kills wildlife
(d) He does not respect women
4. What are the raccoons doing that keeps Jerome awake all night?
(b) Going in and out
5. What breed is Strong-Heart?
(c) Pit bull
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Eppy family arrived in the redwood forest, they were a family of
2. What is the history of Jerome's stonecutting business?
3. Where are Jerome's stonecutting tools?
4. How does Jerome feel about Emma arming herself with a rifle?
5. Emma Lou has moved away from her childhood dreams of...
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jerome wakes up, the little fawn is hungry. What makes this passage humorous?
2. Although Jerome is proud of the fireplace he built, he has walled up his stonemason's tools inside. Discuss why that might be.
3. What makes Emma so contentious and determined to battle with Donald Cabot?
4. How does Jerome deal with the rats who have nested in his wall?
5. What is different now about Emma Lou's dinner invitation?
6. How does Emma Lou know the mountain lion is gone? Why doesn't she tell Jerome?
7. What do we learn in this chapter about Jerome's marital status?
8. Jerome tells Old Grouch that he dealt with sad people. What was so sad about Jerome's profession?
9. Why would a person use a store window for the front of his home?
10. Discuss Jerome's camping experience.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)