|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Jerome's stonecutting tools?
(a) Behind the last stone in the fireplace
(b) In a cupboard
(c) Buried nearby
(d) In a knot in the redwood tree
2. How does Jerome feel about carving a headstone for Charmine?
(a) He is eager, and happy to be working
(b) He is frustrated over his diminishing skill
(c) He is too sad to do much work on it
(d) He thinks it is unnecessary
3. After coffee and a smoke, Ben tells Jerome...
(a) He will help him any time
(b) He has to leave for school
(c) He wants to be part of the circus
(d) Thanks for watching his sister
4. Donald Roger has made a habit of...
(a) Watching the Kildee house
(b) Stalking the fawn
(c) Stalking Emma Lou
(d) Counting the pets at the Kildee house
5. Emma Lou's intention is to use her rifle to...
(a) Protect Jerome from Donald Roger
(b) Poach deer for her family
(c) Frighten Donald Roger away for good
(d) Shoot Donald Roger's dog
Short Answer Questions
1. Jerome thinks that Old Grouch is...
2. Who takes up caring for Mrs. Grouch's babies?
3. How do Mr. and Mrs. Grouch respond to Jerome's talking?
4. Emma Lou has moved away from her childhood dreams of...
5. What does Jerome regret about the people he encountered in his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jerome deal with the rats who have nested in his wall?
2. What can the reader deduce about Jerome's cooking skills? Why?
3. What can we learn about the Eppy family, based on the description of their arrival at the redwood grove which would become their home?
4. What breaks the ice between Jerome Kildee and Emma Lou Eppy?
5. What does Jerome seem to realize after Donald's appearance in this chapter? Why does he invited him for dinner?
6. After carving Charmine's gravestone, what is Jerome inspired to do next? Why?
7. Why is it nerve-wracking for Donald Roger to show up at Jerome's house in this chapter?
8. What might Jerome mean when he tells Old Grouch that he was "licked" when he arrived here?
9. Something new about Emma Lou comes out in this chapter. Discuss the revelation.
10. What does Jerome gather from Old Grouch's behavior while the baby skunks are under the house? What might his conclusions reveal about his own past?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)