|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During this first visit with Jerome, Emma Lou...
(a) Brings her dog, Ma Grady
(b) Ridicules Jerome for having animals
(c) Remains quiet and withdrawn
(d) Demonstrates her large appetite
2. Jerome thinks that Old Grouch is...
(a) Pining for his wife
(b) Preparing to die
(c) Missing Emma Lou
(d) Looking for Strong Heart
3. Who is Amby?
(a) The youngest Eppy boy
(b) A boy from school
(c) A boy from town
(d) The oldest Eppy boy
4. What kinds of foods does Jerome provide for the animals?
(a) Raw potatoes and carrots
(b) Eggs and Spam
(c) Fruit and vegetables
(d) Cakes and cereal
5. Jerome attempts to get the skunky smell out of the cabin by...
(a) Spraying ammonia
(b) Cooking a meal
(c) Leaving the door open
(d) Lighting a pipe
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Eppy family arrived in the redwood forest, they were a family of
2. The figure of Charmine on the stone looks like Charmine when she...
3. The hungry fawn is very attracted to...
4. Jerome is a bit worried at the end of this chapter because...
5. What appeals to Jerome about Emma?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would a person use a store window for the front of his home?
2. What can we learn about the Eppy family, based on the description of their arrival at the redwood grove which would become their home?
3. Discuss the sense of mourning in the house over Charmine's demise.
4. What makes Emma so contentious and determined to battle with Donald Cabot?
5. What is it about the spotted skunks that is special?
6. Discuss Donald's idea for solving Jerome's animal population explosion.
7. With the entire Eppy family present, and the large amounts of food on the table, how has Jerome's small house been transformed?
8. Discuss Jerome's scheme. Was he taking a risk? Why, or why not?
9. What can we assume about Emma, based on her trip through the blackberry patch and her prized beany?
10. What gives Jerome happiness in this first chapter of the story?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)