|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Jerome able to tolerate skunks in the house?
(a) They keep him warm at night
(b) They do not use their weapons on him
(c) They listen to him talk
(d) They are polite and do not want to stay
2. Now that Mrs. Grouch is gone, who will have to care for the children?
(b) Emma Lou
(d) Mr. Grouch
3. What are Mr. Grouch's least agreeable characteristics?
(a) He is selfish and lazy
(b) He sleeps all day
(c) He is fat and hungry
(d) He is a slow mover
4. Why does Emma Lou dislike the other neighbor, Donald?
(a) He is cold to Jerome Kildee
(b) His dog kills wildlife
(c) He is mean and aggressive
(d) He does not respect women
5. How does Emma Lou feel about Donald?
(a) She wants to bump into him in the woods
(b) She is fascinated by him
(c) She feels rage toward him for letting his dog kill animals
(d) She has a heartfelt desire to see him move away
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes up caring for Mrs. Grouch's babies?
2. When Donald Roger hears Emma Lou approaching the cabin, he...
3. The skunks and Emma Lou are...
4. What does Emma Lou discover in the blackberry patch?
5. Jerome is a bit worried at the end of this chapter because...
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Jerome's camping experience.
2. When Jerome wakes up, the little fawn is hungry. What makes this passage humorous?
3. Why does Emma Lou, initially, want to pay a visit to Jerome?
4. Why does Jerome consider taking a floorboard out?
5. What does Jerome gather from Old Grouch's behavior while the baby skunks are under the house? What might his conclusions reveal about his own past?
6. Although Jerome has given up stonecutting, his reaction to making Charmine's gravestone is interesting. Discuss what might be happening in this regard.
7. There is a telling sentence about Jerome's relationships with women in the description of Emma Lou. Do a close reading and discuss some possible meanings.
8. Donald is spying on Jerome Kildee's house from the woods. What might this tell us about the time of history in which the book was written?
9. What might Jerome mean when he tells Old Grouch that he was "licked" when he arrived here?
10. After carving Charmine's gravestone, what is Jerome inspired to do next? Why?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)