|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The cabin smells so bad, that Jerome decides to...
(a) Burn a fire inside
(b) Camp out for a while
(c) Go into town
(d) Wash everything down
2. Emma Lou has been helping her mother, Cilly, by...
(a) Hanging out clothes
(b) Cooking breakfast
(c) Scrubbing floors
(d) Turning the washer ringer
3. How does Old Grouch demonstrate his indifference as a parent?
(a) He chooses to care for Ma and Pa's babies
(b) He eats the babies' food
(c) He takes over the babies' nest for himself
(d) He leaves the cabin
4. Jerome secretly assumes that the Eppy family has...
(a) Many hounds for hunting
(b) A criminal background
(c) Too many children
(d) Been poaching deer
5. Who is Emma Lou Eppy?
(a) A hunter who stops by to visit
(b) The only girl in the neighboring Eppy family of nine
(c) A park ranger who keeps an eye on the property
(d) A college student who is studying Jerome Kildee
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma Lou's brother, Ben, pay a visit to Jerome?
2. Who takes care of the noises in the wall?
3. Emma is teaching the young skunks to...
4. To what strange place does Mrs. Grouch move her children?
5. What tasty dessert did Jerome make for Emma Lou?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might Jerome mean when he tells Old Grouch that he was "licked" when he arrived here?
2. What can we learn about the Eppy family, based on the description of their arrival at the redwood grove which would become their home?
3. Although Jerome is proud of the fireplace he built, he has walled up his stonemason's tools inside. Discuss why that might be.
4. What does Jerome assume about the status of Papa skunk when the new babies arrive?
5. After carving Charmine's gravestone, what is Jerome inspired to do next? Why?
6. What makes Emma so contentious and determined to battle with Donald Cabot?
7. Discuss Jerome's camping experience.
8. What gives Jerome happiness in this first chapter of the story?
9. Why does Strong Heart come barking toward Jerome's house? What happens to him?
10. There is a telling sentence about Jerome's relationships with women in the description of Emma Lou. Do a close reading and discuss some possible meanings.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)