|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emma's choice of clothing, instead of frilly dresses, was...
(a) Long black pants
(b) Hooded raincoats
(c) Rolled up jeans
(d) Tights and boots
2. Papa's reaction to the sound of barking is to...
(a) Bare his teeth
(b) Hide under the bed
(c) Lift his tail
(d) Run to meet the dog
3. What is keeping Jerome awake at night?
(a) The skunks crying for food
(b) Owls hooting overhead
(c) The noise from rats in the wall
(d) The sounds of the racoons
4. On what side of the nest does Mr. Grouch sleep?
(a) The hard flat side
(b) The side where the babies are
(c) The dry side
(d) The cushioned side
5. Donald Roger has made a habit of...
(a) Stalking the fawn
(b) Stalking Emma Lou
(c) Watching the Kildee house
(d) Counting the pets at the Kildee house
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of foods does Jerome provide for the animals?
2. To what strange place does Mrs. Grouch move her children?
3. The skunks and Emma Lou are...
4. The Eppy house was located...
5. Emma Lou's mother is...
Short Essay Questions
1. What can we assume about Emma, based on her trip through the blackberry patch and her prized beany?
2. Why would a person use a store window for the front of his home?
3. Why does Emma Lou, initially, want to pay a visit to Jerome?
4. Discuss Ben's visit to Jerome. What do we learn about the Eppys and Ben in this chapter?
5. Discuss Jerome's camping experience.
6. Although Jerome is proud of the fireplace he built, he has walled up his stonemason's tools inside. Discuss why that might be.
7. Why does Strong Heart come barking toward Jerome's house? What happens to him?
8. What does Jerome gather from Old Grouch's behavior while the baby skunks are under the house? What might his conclusions reveal about his own past?
9. Looking back at this chapter, what stands out as ironic, given the outcome of the story?
10. How does Jerome deal with the rats who have nested in his wall?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)