|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The skunks and Emma Lou are...
(c) Very close friends
(d) Afraid of one another
2. Jerome thinks that Old Grouch is...
(a) Preparing to die
(b) Pining for his wife
(c) Looking for Strong Heart
(d) Missing Emma Lou
3. Emma feels that Roger Donald is...
(a) A terrorist
(b) A good friend
(c) A wildlife lover
(d) A murderer
4. Jerome is a bit worried at the end of this chapter because...
(a) Old Grouch has not awakened
(b) The baby raccoons have not returned
(c) The baby skunks are under the bed
(d) His pack rats have gone silent
5. During this first visit with Jerome, Emma Lou...
(a) Demonstrates her large appetite
(b) Ridicules Jerome for having animals
(c) Remains quiet and withdrawn
(d) Brings her dog, Ma Grady
Short Answer Questions
1. Jerome decides to use his stonecutter's tools to make...
2. Emma tries to teach the raccoons, using...
3. The Eppys like to have...
4. What does Emma Lou do while she walks alone in the woods?
5. Emma's choice of clothing, instead of frilly dresses, was...
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Emma Lou, initially, want to pay a visit to Jerome?
2. What gives Jerome happiness in this first chapter of the story?
3. Why does Jerome consider taking a floorboard out?
4. There is a telling sentence about Jerome's relationships with women in the description of Emma Lou. Do a close reading and discuss some possible meanings.
5. Something new about Emma Lou comes out in this chapter. Discuss the revelation.
6. Why is it nerve-wracking for Donald Roger to show up at Jerome's house in this chapter?
7. Why would a person use a store window for the front of his home?
8. How does Emma Lou know the mountain lion is gone? Why doesn't she tell Jerome?
9. Donald is spying on Jerome Kildee's house from the woods. What might this tell us about the time of history in which the book was written?
10. What does Jerome gather from Old Grouch's behavior while the baby skunks are under the house? What might his conclusions reveal about his own past?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)