|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The hungry fawn is very attracted to...
(a) The baby skunks
(b) The outside
(c) Jerome's feet
(d) Jerome's coat
2. Emma Lou has moved away from her childhood dreams of...
(a) Running a campground
(b) Being a farmer
(c) Owning a veterinary hospital
(d) A knight on a white horse
3. Emma feels that Roger Donald is...
(a) A murderer
(b) A terrorist
(c) A good friend
(d) A wildlife lover
4. Why does Jerome check his fireplace before lighting a fire?
(a) The family of spotted skunks may be hiding there
(b) He wants to be sure the draft is right
(c) He wants to be sure he has used up the wood from the last fire
(d) A rat resides in the chimney
5. How did Charmine punish the runt of her litter?
(a) She left her behind when the family went to the spring
(b) She whipped her with her tail
(c) She gave her less food than the others
(d) She nipped at her and growled
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma Lou do while she walks alone in the woods?
2. Where are Jerome's stonecutting tools?
3. Emma Lou's mother is...
4. Emma Lou has skills that Jerome does not have, including...
5. During this first visit with Jerome, Emma Lou...
Short Essay Questions
1. What can we assume about Emma, based on her trip through the blackberry patch and her prized beany?
2. Why does Emma Lou, initially, want to pay a visit to Jerome?
3. Something new about Emma Lou comes out in this chapter. Discuss the revelation.
4. Why would a person use a store window for the front of his home?
5. How does Jerome deal with the rats who have nested in his wall?
6. Why does Jerome consider taking a floorboard out?
7. What makes Jerome feel better about the lonesomeness of his home?
8. There is a telling sentence about Jerome's relationships with women in the description of Emma Lou. Do a close reading and discuss some possible meanings.
9. Donald is spying on Jerome Kildee's house from the woods. What might this tell us about the time of history in which the book was written?
10. How does Emma Lou know the mountain lion is gone? Why doesn't she tell Jerome?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)