|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Mr. Grouch's least agreeable characteristics?
(a) He sleeps all day
(b) He is fat and hungry
(c) He is selfish and lazy
(d) He is a slow mover
2. A luxury Jerome enjoys now that he is retired is...
(a) Living in his pajamas
(b) Lying in bed after he is awake
(c) Working at his own pace
3. What does Emma Lou use for a weapon?
(a) A bat
(b) A beany
(c) A peashooter
(d) A pellet gun
4. Why does Jerome take his tools out of the wall?
(a) To make a headstone for Charmine
(b) To stabilize his front door
(c) To fix the wall damaged by packrats
(d) To secure his home from Strong Heart
5. What name did Emma Lou and Jerome assign to Mrs. Grouch?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Emma go to visit her aunt?
2. What does Emma Lou do while she walks alone in the woods?
3. Emma refers to her parents as...
4. Why did Donald Roger pay a visit to Jerome?
5. Moving Runt's box requires Jerome to...
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Ben's visit to Jerome. What do we learn about the Eppys and Ben in this chapter?
2. Although Jerome has given up stonecutting, his reaction to making Charmine's gravestone is interesting. Discuss what might be happening in this regard.
3. What can we learn about the Eppy family, based on the description of their arrival at the redwood grove which would become their home?
4. Discuss Jerome's camping experience.
5. What is different now about Emma Lou's dinner invitation?
6. Why would a person use a store window for the front of his home?
7. Discuss the sense of mourning in the house over Charmine's demise.
8. What do we learn in this chapter about Jerome's marital status?
9. Write a short essay about the subtle clues regarding Jerome's life. This is something of a fantasy story, but there are real life elements that are only mentioned in passing. What are they, and what do they indicate?
10. Something new about Emma Lou comes out in this chapter. Discuss the revelation.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)