|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emma Lou use for a weapon?
(a) A pellet gun
(b) A beany
(c) A peashooter
(d) A bat
2. What does Jerome consider his last masterpiece as a stone cutter?
(a) The large fireplace in his house
(b) His well
(c) His front steps
(d) His monument
3. Now that Mrs. Grouch is gone, who will have to care for the children?
(b) Mr. Grouch
(c) Emma Lou
4. Jerome thinks that Old Grouch is...
(a) Preparing to die
(b) Looking for Strong Heart
(c) Missing Emma Lou
(d) Pining for his wife
5. Jerome finds that the baby deer is a...
(c) Food source
Short Answer Questions
1. What is keeping Jerome awake at night?
2. Emma Lou has been helping her mother, Cilly, by...
3. What name did Emma Lou and Jerome assign to Mrs. Grouch?
4. Where are Jerome's stonecutting tools?
5. How does Jerome feel about the woodland animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Something new about Emma Lou comes out in this chapter. Discuss the revelation.
2. Why does Jerome consider taking a floorboard out?
3. Discuss the sense of mourning in the house over Charmine's demise.
4. Discuss Ben's visit to Jerome. What do we learn about the Eppys and Ben in this chapter?
5. What does Jerome gather from Old Grouch's behavior while the baby skunks are under the house? What might his conclusions reveal about his own past?
6. What might Jerome mean when he tells Old Grouch that he was "licked" when he arrived here?
7. Why is it nerve-wracking for Donald Roger to show up at Jerome's house in this chapter?
8. What makes Jerome feel better about the lonesomeness of his home?
9. Looking back at this chapter, what stands out as ironic, given the outcome of the story?
10. When Jerome wakes up, the little fawn is hungry. What makes this passage humorous?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)