|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the history of Jerome's stonecutting business?
(a) His grandfather and father had both owned it
(b) He worked there as an apprentice for his uncle
(c) He was employed by the funeral home
(d) His grandfather employed him
2. What drew Cilly to the ramshackle house in the grove?
(a) The ambience
(b) Wooden floors
(c) Big windows
(d) The smell of wildlife
3. The hungry fawn is very attracted to...
(a) The outside
(b) Jerome's coat
(c) Jerome's feet
(d) The baby skunks
4. The figure of Charmine on the stone looks like Charmine when she...
(a) Stalked prey for food
(b) Peeked over the edge of her box at Jerome
(c) Went on guard to protect her babies
(d) Tried to wake Jerome in the morning for breakfast
5. What kinds of foods does Jerome provide for the animals?
(a) Raw potatoes and carrots
(b) Eggs and Spam
(c) Cakes and cereal
(d) Fruit and vegetables
Short Answer Questions
1. Emma Lou's intention is to use her rifle to...
2. What breed is Strong-Heart?
3. What tasty dessert did Jerome make for Emma Lou?
4. When Emma threatens to bring a rifle...
5. Jerome secretly assumes that the Eppy family has...
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the pipe smoking among the Eppy men. Would this seem unusual today?
2. Why does Jerome decide to give Emma money for Christmas, rather than a gift?
3. How do Jim Hinkle and Jerome become friends?
4. Jerome tells Old Grouch that he dealt with sad people. What was so sad about Jerome's profession?
5. Something new about Emma Lou comes out in this chapter. Discuss the revelation.
6. There is a telling sentence about Jerome's relationships with women in the description of Emma Lou. Do a close reading and discuss some possible meanings.
7. Poor Jerome is discouraged. How do we know this?
8. What becomes clear about Donald's need to compete with Emma Lou? What is his problem with her?
9. How does Monarch respond to his new freedom? Is he typical of a deer?
10. How does Jerome generate the spirit of Christmas in preparation for the party? Again, compare this to a Christmas party you might have at home.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)