|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emma Lou Eppy could be described as...
(a) A future fashion model
(b) A tom boy
(c) A diva
(d) A gang member
2. What does Jerome regret about the people he encountered in his work?
(a) He has not stayed in touch with them
(b) They were not pleased with his work
(c) They were sad and he was unable to comfort them
(d) They were unable to talk with him
3. The Eppy house was located...
(a) In the local suburbs
(b) Closer to town
(c) In a grove of redwoods
(d) In a pasture below the mountains
4. What are the raccoons doing that keeps Jerome awake all night?
(a) Going in and out
5. What is the lifestyle change that Jerome makes when he moves to his hundred acres in the woods?
(a) He chops wood for a living
(b) He no longer works
(c) He relies on others for food
(d) He becomes a land realtor
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma Lou discover in the blackberry patch?
2. Jerome thinks that Old Grouch is...
3. After coffee and a smoke, Ben tells Jerome...
4. Donald Roger has made a habit of...
5. To what strange place does Mrs. Grouch move her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Jerome is proud of the fireplace he built, he has walled up his stonemason's tools inside. Discuss why that might be.
2. Why would a person use a store window for the front of his home?
3. Discuss Ben's visit to Jerome. What do we learn about the Eppys and Ben in this chapter?
4. What can we learn about the Eppy family, based on the description of their arrival at the redwood grove which would become their home?
5. After carving Charmine's gravestone, what is Jerome inspired to do next? Why?
6. What does Jerome assume about the status of Papa skunk when the new babies arrive?
7. How does Emma Lou know the mountain lion is gone? Why doesn't she tell Jerome?
8. There is a telling sentence about Jerome's relationships with women in the description of Emma Lou. Do a close reading and discuss some possible meanings.
9. What might Jerome mean when he tells Old Grouch that he was "licked" when he arrived here?
10. How does Jerome deal with the rats who have nested in his wall?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)