|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emma Lou do while she walks alone in the woods?
(a) She hunts for owls
(b) She makes up rhymes
(c) She thinks about things
(d) She cries
2. Now that Mrs. Grouch is gone, who will have to care for the children?
(b) Mr. Grouch
(c) Emma Lou
3. By chewing up his letters, what do the mice accomplish for Jerome?
(a) They provide warmth
(b) He does not have to burn them now
(c) He no longer needs to think about the past
(d) They clean out the box under his bed for him
4. How do Mr. and Mrs. Grouch respond to Jerome's talking?
(a) They quietly leave the house
(b) They fall to sleep
(c) They become frightened
(d) They begin to sing
5. Jerome attempts to get the skunky smell out of the cabin by...
(a) Cooking a meal
(b) Lighting a pipe
(c) Spraying ammonia
(d) Leaving the door open
6. How does Emma Lou feel about Donald?
(a) She wants to bump into him in the woods
(b) She feels rage toward him for letting his dog kill animals
(c) She has a heartfelt desire to see him move away
(d) She is fascinated by him
7. Emma Lou has been helping her mother, Cilly, by...
(a) Turning the washer ringer
(b) Scrubbing floors
(c) Hanging out clothes
(d) Cooking breakfast
8. What drew Cilly to the ramshackle house in the grove?
(a) The ambience
(b) Wooden floors
(c) Big windows
(d) The smell of wildlife
9. Emma Lou's intention is to use her rifle to...
(a) Shoot Donald Roger's dog
(b) Protect Jerome from Donald Roger
(c) Poach deer for her family
(d) Frighten Donald Roger away for good
10. Moving Runt's box requires Jerome to...
(a) Rewire the room's lighting
(b) Move the wood stove
(c) Change the wiring of the cabinet
(d) Renovate the living room
11. What is Emma's weapon of choice?
(a) A rock
(b) A beany
(c) A spear
(d) A gun
12. The hungry fawn is very attracted to...
(a) Jerome's coat
(b) The outside
(c) The baby skunks
(d) Jerome's feet
13. What tasty dessert did Jerome make for Emma Lou?
(b) Fresh bread
(c) Berry scones
14. How does Jerome feel about the woodland animals?
(a) They are his private property
(b) They do not own the woods
(c) They do not belong to him
(d) They are unwanted guests
15. Why does Jerome check his fireplace before lighting a fire?
(a) A rat resides in the chimney
(b) He wants to be sure he has used up the wood from the last fire
(c) The family of spotted skunks may be hiding there
(d) He wants to be sure the draft is right
Short Answer Questions
1. What appeals to Jerome about Emma?
2. What do we know about Jerome's past?
3. Who is Mr. Grouch?
4. Jerome begins to be aware of the fact that...
5. Emma Lou has skills that Jerome does not have, including...
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)