|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name did Emma Lou and Jerome assign to Mrs. Grouch?
2. Papa's reaction to the sound of barking is to...
(a) Lift his tail
(b) Bare his teeth
(c) Hide under the bed
(d) Run to meet the dog
3. Who is Mr. Grouch?
(a) A neighbor at the foot of the mountain
(b) A big rat in the wall
(c) The male raccoon who lives in the redwood tree
(d) A spotted skunk
4. What tasty dessert did Jerome make for Emma Lou?
(a) Fresh bread
(c) Berry scones
5. Emma Lou has skills that Jerome does not have, including...
(a) Spelling and grammar
(b) Knowledge of how to get rid of skunk smell
(c) The ability to set up a camp
(d) Surviving through the winter
6. Emma saves an orphaned deer from being killed by...
(a) Roger Donald
(b) A cougar
(d) Strong Heart
7. Strong Heart intends to eat Papa, however...
(a) Papa tricks him
(b) Papa runs faster
(c) Papa sprays him
(d) Papa cowers under the bed
8. To what does Jerome compare the pack rats' clumping noise?
(a) A small train
(b) A man on stilts
(c) Kettle drums
(d) A thundercloud
9. During this first visit with Jerome, Emma Lou...
(a) Remains quiet and withdrawn
(b) Brings her dog, Ma Grady
(c) Ridicules Jerome for having animals
(d) Demonstrates her large appetite
10. Where are Jerome's stonecutting tools?
(a) Behind the last stone in the fireplace
(b) Buried nearby
(c) In a cupboard
(d) In a knot in the redwood tree
11. What kinds of foods does Jerome provide for the animals?
(a) Fruit and vegetables
(b) Raw potatoes and carrots
(c) Eggs and Spam
(d) Cakes and cereal
12. Emma Lou's solution to Jerome's problems is to...
(a) Turn the fawn out into the woods
(b) Build a corral
(c) Put up fencing
(d) Build a wing onto the house
13. Who is Amby?
(a) A boy from town
(b) The youngest Eppy boy
(c) A boy from school
(d) The oldest Eppy boy
14. Who is Ben Eppy?
(a) Emma's father
(b) Emma's brother in law
(c) An uncle to Emma
(d) The Eppys' youngest son
15. Who is Emma Lou Eppy?
(a) A college student who is studying Jerome Kildee
(b) The only girl in the neighboring Eppy family of nine
(c) A park ranger who keeps an eye on the property
(d) A hunter who stops by to visit
Short Answer Questions
1. The cabin smells so bad, that Jerome decides to...
2. On what side of the nest does Mr. Grouch sleep?
3. Where did Emma go to visit her aunt?
4. Why does Jerome check his fireplace before lighting a fire?
5. Jerome attempts to get the skunky smell out of the cabin by...
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)