|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Jerome's stonecutting tools?
(a) In a knot in the redwood tree
(b) In a cupboard
(c) Behind the last stone in the fireplace
(d) Buried nearby
2. A luxury Jerome enjoys now that he is retired is...
(a) Living in his pajamas
(c) Lying in bed after he is awake
(d) Working at his own pace
3. What are Mr. Grouch's least agreeable characteristics?
(a) He sleeps all day
(b) He is a slow mover
(c) He is fat and hungry
(d) He is selfish and lazy
4. What does Emma Lou discover in the blackberry patch?
(a) A skunk
(b) A raccoon
(c) A bobcat
(d) A small fawn
5. On what side of the nest does Mr. Grouch sleep?
(a) The hard flat side
(b) The side where the babies are
(c) The dry side
(d) The cushioned side
6. What does Emma Lou do while she walks alone in the woods?
(a) She makes up rhymes
(b) She hunts for owls
(c) She thinks about things
(d) She cries
7. Jerome thinks that Old Grouch is...
(a) Missing Emma Lou
(b) Pining for his wife
(c) Looking for Strong Heart
(d) Preparing to die
8. After coffee and a smoke, Ben tells Jerome...
(a) He wants to be part of the circus
(b) Thanks for watching his sister
(c) He has to leave for school
(d) He will help him any time
9. What is the fate of Mrs. Grouch?
(a) She leaves and never returns
(b) Stronheart kills her
(c) She finds a home on a different property
(d) She has more children
10. Emma Lou has moved away from her childhood dreams of...
(a) A knight on a white horse
(b) Being a farmer
(c) Owning a veterinary hospital
(d) Running a campground
11. What made Emma Lou finally decide to go to Jerome's door?
(a) He invited her for lunch
(b) Her anger gave her the courage to go
(c) He smiled at her in the post office
(d) She liked the look of his front window
12. Old Grouch's children arrive...
(a) With a supply of food
(b) With a couple of new children
(c) With more aggressive attitude
(d) With new spouses
13. What do we know about Jerome's past?
(a) He was a happy man
(b) He has not been able to connect with people
(c) He has been a mediocre stone cutter
(d) He was married for years
14. How does Jerome manage to protect his food?
(a) He makes latches that can be opened by pulling a string
(b) He trains the animals to stay out of the cupboards
(c) He puts his food in a safe
(d) He puts everything under lock and key
15. The figure of Charmine on the stone looks like Charmine when she...
(a) Went on guard to protect her babies
(b) Peeked over the edge of her box at Jerome
(c) Tried to wake Jerome in the morning for breakfast
(d) Stalked prey for food
Short Answer Questions
1. Jerome is happy to camp out, and it makes him feel...
2. Emma Lou has skills that Jerome does not have, including...
3. When Emma threatens to bring a rifle...
4. What are the raccoons doing that keeps Jerome awake all night?
5. How did Charmine punish the runt of her litter?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)