|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Emma threatens to bring a rifle...
(a) Jerome is relieved
(b) Jerome hides
(c) Jerome is alarmed
(d) Jerome becomes excited
2. The cabin smells so bad, that Jerome decides to...
(a) Wash everything down
(b) Go into town
(c) Camp out for a while
(d) Burn a fire inside
3. Donald Roger has made a habit of...
(a) Stalking the fawn
(b) Stalking Emma Lou
(c) Counting the pets at the Kildee house
(d) Watching the Kildee house
4. What are Mr. Grouch's least agreeable characteristics?
(a) He is selfish and lazy
(b) He sleeps all day
(c) He is a slow mover
(d) He is fat and hungry
5. Jerome is a bit worried at the end of this chapter because...
(a) His pack rats have gone silent
(b) Old Grouch has not awakened
(c) The baby skunks are under the bed
(d) The baby raccoons have not returned
6. Emma is teaching the young skunks to...
(a) Hunt for their own food
(b) Eat outdoors
(c) Form a single line
(d) Perform circus tricks
7. What does Jerome consider his last masterpiece as a stone cutter?
(a) His monument
(b) His front steps
(c) His well
(d) The large fireplace in his house
8. What does Emma Lou discover in the blackberry patch?
(a) A raccoon
(b) A bobcat
(c) A skunk
(d) A small fawn
9. Emma Lou's mother is...
10. What change does Jerome make in the presence of Mr. and Mrs. Grouch?
(a) He learns how to sing like animals
(b) He begins to talk about himself and his past
(c) He sleeps better when they are there
(d) He fixes better meals so he can share with them
11. During this first visit with Jerome, Emma Lou...
(a) Brings her dog, Ma Grady
(b) Ridicules Jerome for having animals
(c) Remains quiet and withdrawn
(d) Demonstrates her large appetite
12. What are the raccoons doing that keeps Jerome awake all night?
(d) Going in and out
13. Runt's new partner is...
(a) Very hungry
(b) Lazy and slow
(c) As big as Old Grouch
(d) Mean and snappish
14. What tasty dessert did Jerome make for Emma Lou?
(c) Berry scones
(d) Fresh bread
15. How does Old Grouch demonstrate his indifference as a parent?
(a) He chooses to care for Ma and Pa's babies
(b) He takes over the babies' nest for himself
(c) He eats the babies' food
(d) He leaves the cabin
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emma Lou's brother, Ben, pay a visit to Jerome?
2. Jerome finds that the baby deer is a...
3. Who takes up caring for Mrs. Grouch's babies?
4. Mama and Papa are taking their babies out at night to...
5. How does Jerome feel about Emma arming herself with a rifle?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)