|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After coffee and a smoke, Ben tells Jerome...
(a) Thanks for watching his sister
(b) He has to leave for school
(c) He wants to be part of the circus
(d) He will help him any time
2. What is unique about Jerome's front wndow?
(a) It is the size of a storefront window
(b) It is made of stained glass
(c) It is covered with draperies
(d) It is a sliding glass door
3. What do we know about Jerome's past?
(a) He was married for years
(b) He has not been able to connect with people
(c) He has been a mediocre stone cutter
(d) He was a happy man
4. Emma Lou has been helping her mother, Cilly, by...
(a) Scrubbing floors
(b) Cooking breakfast
(c) Hanging out clothes
(d) Turning the washer ringer
5. Who is Ben Eppy?
(a) The Eppys' youngest son
(b) Emma's brother in law
(c) An uncle to Emma
(d) Emma's father
6. Mama and Papa are taking their babies out at night to...
(a) Play freely
(b) Help them learn to see in the dark
(c) Teach them to hunt
(d) Teach them defense skills
7. What are Mr. Grouch's least agreeable characteristics?
(a) He is selfish and lazy
(b) He is a slow mover
(c) He sleeps all day
(d) He is fat and hungry
8. What characteristic makes Jerome Kildee want to live in the middle of the forest?
(a) He is speech impaired
(b) He is a silent man
(c) He is afraid of people
(d) He is a forager
9. Who is Amby?
(a) The youngest Eppy boy
(b) A boy from school
(c) A boy from town
(d) The oldest Eppy boy
10. What does Jerome regret about the people he encountered in his work?
(a) They were unable to talk with him
(b) They were not pleased with his work
(c) He has not stayed in touch with them
(d) They were sad and he was unable to comfort them
11. The cabin smells so bad, that Jerome decides to...
(a) Wash everything down
(b) Go into town
(c) Burn a fire inside
(d) Camp out for a while
12. Emma Lou probably gets her tough-guy attitude from...
(a) Going to a bad school
(b) Having all brothers
(c) Having mean parents
(d) Being raised in the woods
13. How does Jerome feel about Emma arming herself with a rifle?
(a) It is worrisome to him
(b) He wants to see her hit her target
(c) He hopes she is a good shot
(d) He hopes it will help fend off Donald Roger
14. What made Emma Lou finally decide to go to Jerome's door?
(a) Her anger gave her the courage to go
(b) He smiled at her in the post office
(c) She liked the look of his front window
(d) He invited her for lunch
15. Papa's reaction to the sound of barking is to...
(a) Run to meet the dog
(b) Bare his teeth
(c) Lift his tail
(d) Hide under the bed
Short Answer Questions
1. Jerome attempts to get the skunky smell out of the cabin by...
2. What name did Emma Lou and Jerome assign to Mrs. Grouch?
3. Who is Emma Lou Eppy?
4. Strong Heart intends to eat Papa, however...
5. How do Mr. and Mrs. Grouch respond to Jerome's talking?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)