|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fate of Mrs. Grouch?
(a) She leaves and never returns
(b) Stronheart kills her
(c) She finds a home on a different property
(d) She has more children
2. During this first visit with Jerome, Emma Lou...
(a) Remains quiet and withdrawn
(b) Demonstrates her large appetite
(c) Ridicules Jerome for having animals
(d) Brings her dog, Ma Grady
3. How does Jerome feel about the woodland animals?
(a) They are unwanted guests
(b) They are his private property
(c) They do not own the woods
(d) They do not belong to him
4. Why did Donald Roger pay a visit to Jerome?
(a) To look at the inside of the cabin
(b) To pay him for the racoon his dog killed
(c) To get some ideas for building a shack
(d) To discuss Emma Lou's rage toward him
5. What does Emma Lou do while she walks alone in the woods?
(a) She hunts for owls
(b) She cries
(c) She thinks about things
(d) She makes up rhymes
6. What appeals to Jerome about Emma?
(a) Her laugh
(b) Her red hair
(c) Her demure nature
(d) She is not a typical girl
7. What is keeping Jerome awake at night?
(a) The skunks crying for food
(b) The noise from rats in the wall
(c) The sounds of the racoons
(d) Owls hooting overhead
8. What tasty dessert did Jerome make for Emma Lou?
(a) Berry scones
(c) Fresh bread
9. How does Jerome feel about carving a headstone for Charmine?
(a) He thinks it is unnecessary
(b) He is too sad to do much work on it
(c) He is frustrated over his diminishing skill
(d) He is eager, and happy to be working
10. How does Jerome manage to protect his food?
(a) He trains the animals to stay out of the cupboards
(b) He makes latches that can be opened by pulling a string
(c) He puts everything under lock and key
(d) He puts his food in a safe
11. What does Emma Lou discover in the blackberry patch?
(a) A small fawn
(b) A bobcat
(c) A skunk
(d) A raccoon
12. Another food source for the skunks is...
(b) Baby raccoons
13. What name did Emma Lou and Jerome assign to Mrs. Grouch?
14. What does Jerome consider his last masterpiece as a stone cutter?
(a) The large fireplace in his house
(b) His front steps
(c) His well
(d) His monument
15. What is the lifestyle change that Jerome makes when he moves to his hundred acres in the woods?
(a) He no longer works
(b) He relies on others for food
(c) He becomes a land realtor
(d) He chops wood for a living
Short Answer Questions
1. Runt's new partner is...
2. Emma Lou does not tell Jerome that she and Ben..
3. Emma Lou's mother is...
4. Now that Mrs. Grouch is gone, who will have to care for the children?
5. Emma Lou has been helping her mother, Cilly, by...
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)