|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Now that Mrs. Grouch is gone, who will have to care for the children?
(a) Emma Lou
(c) Mr. Grouch
2. What does Emma Lou do while she walks alone in the woods?
(a) She makes up rhymes
(b) She thinks about things
(c) She hunts for owls
(d) She cries
3. Emma refers to her parents as...
(a) Job and Cilly
(b) The old folks
(c) Her jailers
(d) The bosses
4. When Emma threatens to bring a rifle...
(a) Jerome becomes excited
(b) Jerome is alarmed
(c) Jerome is relieved
(d) Jerome hides
5. During this first visit with Jerome, Emma Lou...
(a) Brings her dog, Ma Grady
(b) Remains quiet and withdrawn
(c) Ridicules Jerome for having animals
(d) Demonstrates her large appetite
6. Another food source for the skunks is...
(b) Baby raccoons
7. After coffee and a smoke, Ben tells Jerome...
(a) Thanks for watching his sister
(b) He has to leave for school
(c) He wants to be part of the circus
(d) He will help him any time
8. Why does Emma Lou dislike the other neighbor, Donald?
(a) His dog kills wildlife
(b) He is cold to Jerome Kildee
(c) He is mean and aggressive
(d) He does not respect women
9. Emma Lou's intention is to use her rifle to...
(a) Poach deer for her family
(b) Shoot Donald Roger's dog
(c) Protect Jerome from Donald Roger
(d) Frighten Donald Roger away for good
10. Mama and Papa are taking their babies out at night to...
(a) Teach them defense skills
(b) Teach them to hunt
(c) Help them learn to see in the dark
(d) Play freely
11. Emma Lou does not tell Jerome that she and Ben..
(a) Saw the lion in town
(b) Spent a long time hunting the lion
(c) Sicced a hound on the lion
(d) Killed the mountain lion
12. Jerome secretly assumes that the Eppy family has...
(a) Been poaching deer
(b) Too many children
(c) Many hounds for hunting
(d) A criminal background
13. The Eppy house was located...
(a) In a pasture below the mountains
(b) In a grove of redwoods
(c) In the local suburbs
(d) Closer to town
14. Emma is teaching the young skunks to...
(a) Perform circus tricks
(b) Hunt for their own food
(c) Form a single line
(d) Eat outdoors
15. To what strange place does Mrs. Grouch move her children?
(a) Jerome's bed
(b) The bathroom
(c) Jerome's oven
(d) The cupboard
Short Answer Questions
1. By chewing up his letters, what do the mice accomplish for Jerome?
2. Who is Ben Eppy?
3. Jerome decides to use his stonecutter's tools to make...
4. What breed is Strong-Heart?
5. On what side of the nest does Mr. Grouch sleep?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)