|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the 20th Congress reconvene?
2. What do JFK's advisers suggest he avoid during a meeting with Khrushchev in Vienna?
(a) Talk of West Berlin.
(b) Talk of Cuba.
(c) Signing any treaties.
(d) Idealogical arguments.
3. In the beginning of Chapter 14, who is indicated as the USSR's leading war hero?
4. When is Khrushchev's first press conference?
(a) November 27, 1958.
(b) October 1, 1958.
(c) November 10, 1958.
(d) September 14, 1958.
5. What U.S. pilot is captured by the Soviets after parachuting out of his downed plane?
6. What is Khrushchev's reaction to the vote by the Presidium in 1959?
(a) Reverses it.
(b) Makes various addendums.
(c) He is not made aware of it until 1960.
(d) Accepts it.
7. What does every U-2 mission require?
(a) Khrushchev's approval.
(b) A practice run.
(c) Presidential authorization.
(d) Five soldiers.
8. What do planners of Operation Grandslam hope keeps the Soviets unprepared?
(a) False hope for peace.
(b) Poor intelligence.
(c) May Day.
(d) Failing economy.
9. On May 22, what country does Khrushchev claim the USSR will overtake?
10. How many citizens march for Stalin in his home of Georgia?
11. Who is responsible for writing Khrushchev's speeches?
(c) The Press Group.
(d) The Writers Guild.
12. What is Khrushchev's logic for getting nuclear weapons into Cuba?
13. In what year does the Red Army invade Poland?
14. Who does Khrushchev send to Havana?
15. In 1956, what does Cairo nationalize?
(c) The Suez Canal.
(d) The Czech Republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Discussed in Chapter 13, what does Khrushchev feel that Germany, France, and Italy will do?
2. Who do the people blame for the food shortages in 1961?
3. Who is blamed for proposing the first nuclear strike?
4. How does the U.S. respond to the U-2 incident that led to the capture of a U.S. pilot?
5. Whose views does Khrushchev denounce in Chapter 17?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)