|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abe say helps Joshua?
2. Who responds when Cassius whistles at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
3. What does Abe urge Tommy to do after the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
4. Why doesn't Joshua want to pull men out of the Blue Star mine in Play Eight?
5. At the beginning of Play Eight, from what branch of the military is Scotty discharged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace Mary Anne Rowen's journey of transformation from downtrodden miner's wife to union activist and mythic figure. Is her role typical or atypical for women of her rural background in her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Show how the relationship of coal miners and the mining companies for which they work changes over the years in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments and be sure to trace the industry from Play Six, Tall Tales, to Joshua Rowen's experiences in Play Nine, The War on Poverty.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Morning Star, Sallie Biggs, and Mary Anne Rowen in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)