|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Anne do when J.T. is attacked in Play Six?
2. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
3. In Scene Two of Play Eight, who does Joshua call "the Mother Jones of Howsen County"?
4. Who beats another miner in an informal boxing match in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
5. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Morning Star, Sallie Biggs, and Mary Anne Rowen in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Rowen family's gold pocket watch is a recurring motif throughout The Kentucky Cycle. Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
Essay Topic 3
The Kentucky Cycle contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the plays and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)