|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
2. After the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven, what does Tommy tell Andrew he wants?
3. How much money does Tommy have to pay the fee for which the preacher asks?
4. What does Mary Anne do when J.T. is attacked in Play Six?
5. Who attacks J.T. in Play Six upon seeing him kiss Mary Anne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Revenge is one of the themes in The Kentucky Cycle. Pick any three of the plays in the book and discuss what you think the author is trying to say about revenge in each one. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Kentucky Cycle contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the plays and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in The Kentucky Cycle. Give three examples of symbolism in the plays in this book and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)