|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to most of Mary Anne's children?
2. To Joshua's shock in Play Eight, whose name is on the list of men who are in the mind when the explosion occurs?
3. How much does the preacher want for his services?
4. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
5. What does Cassius Biggs do to make money in Play Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Michael Rowen, Patrick Rowen, and Joshua Rowen in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Pick three of the following marriages and compare and contrast the relationships: Lallie and Jed Rowen, Michael Rowen and Morning Star, Joshua and Margaret Rowen, and Mary Anne Rowen and Tommy Jackson. Do any of these relationships seem happy? What historical events or conflicts do some of these marriages reflect? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of women in The Kentucky Cycle. Do the men in the plays treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Does the treatment of women change over the course of the cycles? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)