|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, set?
2. In Play Seven, what document allows Joshua to work in the mines?
3. How much money does Tommy have to pay the fee for which the preacher asks?
4. What does Mary Anne do at the end of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
5. In Play Eight, what issue does Scotty tell Joshua the miners are upset about in the new contract with the mining company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace Mary Anne Rowen's journey of transformation from downtrodden miner's wife to union activist and mythic figure. Is her role typical or atypical for women of her rural background in her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from The Kentucky Cycle: Sallie Biggs, Jessie Biggs, Cassius Biggs, Sureta Biggs, and Franklin Biggs. Do the African American characters face different challenges than the Caucasian characters do throughout the cycle? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
The Rowen family's gold pocket watch is a recurring motif throughout The Kentucky Cycle. Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)