|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene Two of Play Six, Tall Tales, who joins the Rowen family for dinner?
2. How much money does Tommy have to pay the fee for which the preacher asks?
3. What does Mary Anne do at the end of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
4. In Play Eight, what issue does Scotty tell Joshua the miners are upset about in the new contract with the mining company?
5. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy in Play Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rowen family's gold pocket watch is a recurring motif throughout The Kentucky Cycle. Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from The Kentucky Cycle: Sallie Biggs, Jessie Biggs, Cassius Biggs, Sureta Biggs, and Franklin Biggs. Do the African American characters face different challenges than the Caucasian characters do throughout the cycle? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Trace the relationship of the Talbert family with the Rowen family through The Kentucky Cycle, starting with Joe and Rebecca Talbert and ending with James Talbert Winston. Are the two families at peace by the end of the cycle? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)