|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proof does Joshua offer in Play Seven that Tommy is the one who has betrayed the miners?
2. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
3. When it's clear in Play Eight that miners are pulled out of the Blue Star mine, what does Joshua urge James Talbert to do?
4. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
5. In what year is Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What character flaws and strengths do you see in the Rowen family through the generations depicted in The Kentucky Cycle? Select at least three characters from the nine plays and discuss how these flaws and strengths help or hinder the characters in dealing with the conflicts in their relationships and in their historical eras. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of women in The Kentucky Cycle. Do the men in the plays treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Does the treatment of women change over the course of the cycles? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Pick three of the following marriages and compare and contrast the relationships: Lallie and Jed Rowen, Michael Rowen and Morning Star, Joshua and Margaret Rowen, and Mary Anne Rowen and Tommy Jackson. Do any of these relationships seem happy? What historical events or conflicts do some of these marriages reflect? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)