|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sallie Rowen serve for dinner in Play Six?
2. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
3. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into doing in Play Six?
4. Why don't the Rowens rip up the contract for the mineral rights?
5. Who buys the winner of the boxing match in Play Seven a beer to celebrate the victory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Show how the relationship of coal miners and the mining companies for which they work changes over the years in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments and be sure to trace the industry from Play Six, Tall Tales, to Joshua Rowen's experiences in Play Nine, The War on Poverty.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Michael Rowen, Patrick Rowen, and Joshua Rowen in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from The Kentucky Cycle: Sallie Biggs, Jessie Biggs, Cassius Biggs, Sureta Biggs, and Franklin Biggs. Do the African American characters face different challenges than the Caucasian characters do throughout the cycle? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)