|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sureta Biggs suggests in Play Seven that someone sells out the miners, who does Tommy blame?
2. Why don't the Rowens rip up the contract for the mineral rights?
3. Why does Andrew say it's too late to give Tommy what he wants?
4. What does Tommy do when he sees what Joshua is reading aloud in Play Seven?
5. Why does Margaret Rowen mention drinking so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom and independence is one of the themes in The Kentucky Cycle. Pick any three of the plays in the book and discuss what you think the author is trying to say about freedom and independence in each one. Does the historical era of a play limit or expand the freedom of women or minorities from what it is in previous or subsequent plays? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The land motivates members of the Rowen family from Michael Rowen in Play One to Joshua Rowen in Play Nine. Discuss the relationship of the Rowens and their land and how this relationship parallels the history of the coal industry in the state of Kentucky. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from The Kentucky Cycle: Sallie Biggs, Jessie Biggs, Cassius Biggs, Sureta Biggs, and Franklin Biggs. Do the African American characters face different challenges than the Caucasian characters do throughout the cycle? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)