Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joshua's relationship with Lana in Play Eight?
2. Who buys the winner of the boxing match in Play Seven a beer to celebrate the victory?
3. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
4. At the end of Play Eight, who does everyone turn to look at when James Talbert reads the names of the missing miners and announces Scotty's?
5. What is wrong with Joshua at the beginning of Play Seven?
Essay Topic 1
The Rowen family's gold pocket watch is a recurring motif throughout The Kentucky Cycle. Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
Essay Topic 2
What character flaws and strengths do you see in the Rowen family through the generations depicted in The Kentucky Cycle? Select at least three characters from the nine plays and discuss how these flaws and strengths help or hinder the characters in dealing with the conflicts in their relationships and in their historical eras. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Several murders occur in The Kentucky Cycle. Discuss Michael Rowen's murder of Sam, Patrick Rowen's murders of Michael Rowen and Joe Talbert, and Jed Rowen's murder of Richard Talbert. What motivates each of these killings and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)