|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Joshua want to pull men out of the Blue Star mine in Play Eight?
2. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
3. Which of the following is not a point that Joshua raises with James Talbert when discussing the union contract with the mining company in Play Eight?
4. What does Tommy offer Andrew in Play Seven to obtain what he wants?
5. Why does Andrew say it's too late to give Tommy what he wants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams are a recurring motif throughout The Kentucky Cycle. Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
Essay Topic 2
Trace Mary Anne Rowen's journey of transformation from downtrodden miner's wife to union activist and mythic figure. Is her role typical or atypical for women of her rural background in her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from The Kentucky Cycle: Sallie Biggs, Jessie Biggs, Cassius Biggs, Sureta Biggs, and Franklin Biggs. Do the African American characters face different challenges than the Caucasian characters do throughout the cycle? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)