|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not a reason J.T. wants Mary Anne to ask her father to rip up the contract for the mineral rights to the Rowen farm at the end of Play Six?
2. At the end of Play Eight, who does everyone turn to look at when James Talbert reads the names of the missing miners and announces Scotty's?
3. Who promises Scotty to personally take care of the safety concerns at the mines in Play Eight?
4. Why doesn't Joshua want to pull men out of the Blue Star mine in Play Eight?
5. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three plays from The Kentucky Cycle. Discuss how the titles of the plays relate to the plots and characters in each play. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Pick three of the following marriages and compare and contrast the relationships: Lallie and Jed Rowen, Michael Rowen and Morning Star, Joshua and Margaret Rowen, and Mary Anne Rowen and Tommy Jackson. Do any of these relationships seem happy? What historical events or conflicts do some of these marriages reflect? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Show how the relationship of coal miners and the mining companies for which they work changes over the years in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments and be sure to trace the industry from Play Six, Tall Tales, to Joshua Rowen's experiences in Play Nine, The War on Poverty.
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)