|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Anne offer to do when J.T. is ready to leave the Rowen home?
2. What do the other miners tease Tommy and Joshua about when Joshua arrives at the mine in Play Seven?
3. Why does Mary Anne give Abe the Rowen family watch in Play Seven?
4. When Tommy relates some of the family history to Joshua in Play Seven, what does he say is the only thing he ever wants?
5. When the union presidents meet with Joshua in Play Eight, what does Calvin say he is complaining about for months at the Blue Star mine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Kentucky Cycle by Robert Schenkkhan begins during the rugged frontier era. What do you think Schenkkan is saying about frontier life and the men and women who find our country through the frontier-era plays: Play One, Masters of the Trade; Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star; and Play Three, The Homecoming? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Dreams are a recurring motif throughout The Kentucky Cycle. Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
Essay Topic 3
Show how the relationship of coal miners and the mining companies for which they work changes over the years in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments and be sure to trace the industry from Play Six, Tall Tales, to Joshua Rowen's experiences in Play Nine, The War on Poverty.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)