|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to most of Mary Anne's children?
2. What does Mary Anne offer to do when J.T. is ready to leave the Rowen home?
3. When it's clear in Play Eight that miners are pulled out of the Blue Star mine, what does Joshua urge James Talbert to do?
4. When Tommy relates some of the family history to Joshua in Play Seven, what does he say is the only thing he ever wants?
5. What does Cassius Biggs do to make money in Play Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What character flaws and strengths do you see in the Rowen family through the generations depicted in The Kentucky Cycle? Select at least three characters from the nine plays and discuss how these flaws and strengths help or hinder the characters in dealing with the conflicts in their relationships and in their historical eras. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Select three plays from The Kentucky Cycle. Discuss how the titles of the plays relate to the plots and characters in each play. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Kentucky Cycle contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the plays and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)