|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy want from the preacher in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
2. At the end of Play Eight, what does James Talbert want to tell the press about the explosion?
3. What happens in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, when Tommy sets a fuse while working with Cassius Biggs and Mackie?
4. What happens to most of Mary Anne's children?
5. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of women in The Kentucky Cycle. Do the men in the plays treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Does the treatment of women change over the course of the cycles? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Several murders occur in The Kentucky Cycle. Discuss Michael Rowen's murder of Sam, Patrick Rowen's murders of Michael Rowen and Joe Talbert, and Jed Rowen's murder of Richard Talbert. What motivates each of these killings and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Kentucky Cycle by Robert Schenkkhan begins during the rugged frontier era. What do you think Schenkkan is saying about frontier life and the men and women who find our country through the frontier-era plays: Play One, Masters of the Trade; Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star; and Play Three, The Homecoming? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)