|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys the winner of the boxing match in Play Seven a beer to celebrate the victory?
2. Why does Joshua think the water tastes funny in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
3. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
4. What does Sallie Rowen serve for dinner in Play Six?
5. When Sureta Biggs suggests in Play Seven that someone sells out the miners, who does Tommy blame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom and independence is one of the themes in The Kentucky Cycle. Pick any three of the plays in the book and discuss what you think the author is trying to say about freedom and independence in each one. Does the historical era of a play limit or expand the freedom of women or minorities from what it is in previous or subsequent plays? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Michael Rowen, Patrick Rowen, and Joshua Rowen in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Kentucky Cycle by Robert Schenkkhan begins during the rugged frontier era. What do you think Schenkkan is saying about frontier life and the men and women who find our country through the frontier-era plays: Play One, Masters of the Trade; Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star; and Play Three, The Homecoming? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)