|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who promises Scotty to personally take care of the safety concerns at the mines in Play Eight?
2. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy in Play Seven?
3. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
4. Who leaves the union meeting in Play Eight to pull the miners out of the unsafe mine?
5. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
Essay Topic 1
What character flaws and strengths do you see in the Rowen family through the generations depicted in The Kentucky Cycle? Select at least three characters from the nine plays and discuss how these flaws and strengths help or hinder the characters in dealing with the conflicts in their relationships and in their historical eras. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Kentucky Cycle by Robert Schenkkhan begins during the rugged frontier era. What do you think Schenkkan is saying about frontier life and the men and women who find our country through the frontier-era plays: Play One, Masters of the Trade; Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star; and Play Three, The Homecoming? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of women in The Kentucky Cycle. Do the men in the plays treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Does the treatment of women change over the course of the cycles? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)