|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who responds when Cassius whistles at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
2. What happens in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, when Tommy sets a fuse while working with Cassius Biggs and Mackie?
3. When it's clear in Play Eight that miners are pulled out of the Blue Star mine, what does Joshua urge James Talbert to do?
4. Which of the following is not a point that Joshua raises with James Talbert when discussing the union contract with the mining company in Play Eight?
5. In what year is Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The land motivates members of the Rowen family from Michael Rowen in Play One to Joshua Rowen in Play Nine. Discuss the relationship of the Rowens and their land and how this relationship parallels the history of the coal industry in the state of Kentucky. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of women in The Kentucky Cycle. Do the men in the plays treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Does the treatment of women change over the course of the cycles? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Michael Rowen, Patrick Rowen, and Joshua Rowen in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)