|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who responds when Cassius whistles at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
2. When the union presidents meet with Joshua in Play Eight, what does Calvin say he is complaining about for months at the Blue Star mine?
3. In Play Seven, what advice does Tommy give Joshua about his coat on Joshua's first day at the mines?
4. At the beginning of Play Eight, from what branch of the military is Scotty discharged?
5. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Show how the relationship of coal miners and the mining companies for which they work changes over the years in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments and be sure to trace the industry from Play Six, Tall Tales, to Joshua Rowen's experiences in Play Nine, The War on Poverty.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from The Kentucky Cycle: Sallie Biggs, Jessie Biggs, Cassius Biggs, Sureta Biggs, and Franklin Biggs. Do the African American characters face different challenges than the Caucasian characters do throughout the cycle? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams are a recurring motif throughout The Kentucky Cycle. Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)