|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, when Tommy sets a fuse while working with Cassius Biggs and Mackie?
2. At the end of Play Eight, what does James Talbert want to tell the press about the explosion?
3. In Play Eight, what do the local union presidents want to discuss with Joshua about the contract with the mining company?
4. What brings Abe Steinman to Mary Anne's door?
5. Who leaves the union meeting in Play Eight to pull the miners out of the unsafe mine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Kentucky Cycle by Robert Schenkkhan begins during the rugged frontier era. What do you think Schenkkan is saying about frontier life and the men and women who find our country through the frontier-era plays: Play One, Masters of the Trade; Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star; and Play Three, The Homecoming? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from The Kentucky Cycle: Sallie Biggs, Jessie Biggs, Cassius Biggs, Sureta Biggs, and Franklin Biggs. Do the African American characters face different challenges than the Caucasian characters do throughout the cycle? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
The Kentucky Cycle contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing in the plays and how it is used to indicate events to come.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)