|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy do when he sees what Joshua is reading aloud in Play Seven?
2. Which of the following statements is not a reason J.T. wants Mary Anne to ask her father to rip up the contract for the mineral rights to the Rowen farm at the end of Play Six?
3. What is Abe mending in Scene Five of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
4. What is the cause of the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
5. Who unexpectedly witnesses the events at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
Essay Topic 1
Show how the relationship of coal miners and the mining companies for which they work changes over the years in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments and be sure to trace the industry from Play Six, Tall Tales, to Joshua Rowen's experiences in Play Nine, The War on Poverty.
Essay Topic 2
Trace Mary Anne Rowen's journey of transformation from downtrodden miner's wife to union activist and mythic figure. Is her role typical or atypical for women of her rural background in her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Kentucky Cycle contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the plays and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)