|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joshua's relationship with Lana in Play Eight?
2. Who buys the winner of the boxing match in Play Seven a beer to celebrate the victory?
3. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
4. At the end of Play Eight, who does everyone turn to look at when James Talbert reads the names of the missing miners and announces Scotty's?
5. What is wrong with Joshua at the beginning of Play Seven?
Essay Topic 1
The land motivates members of the Rowen family from Michael Rowen in Play One to Joshua Rowen in Play Nine. Discuss the relationship of the Rowens and their land and how this relationship parallels the history of the coal industry in the state of Kentucky. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Show how the relationship of coal miners and the mining companies for which they work changes over the years in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments and be sure to trace the industry from Play Six, Tall Tales, to Joshua Rowen's experiences in Play Nine, The War on Poverty.
Essay Topic 3
Freedom and independence is one of the themes in The Kentucky Cycle. Pick any three of the plays in the book and discuss what you think the author is trying to say about freedom and independence in each one. Does the historical era of a play limit or expand the freedom of women or minorities from what it is in previous or subsequent plays? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)