|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other miners tease Tommy and Joshua about when Joshua arrives at the mine in Play Seven?
2. What proof does Joshua offer in Play Seven that Tommy is the one who has betrayed the miners?
3. What is wrong with Joshua at the beginning of Play Seven?
4. What does Cassius Biggs do to make money in Play Seven?
5. When the union presidents meet with Joshua in Play Eight, what does Calvin say he is complaining about for months at the Blue Star mine?
Essay Topic 1
Dreams are a recurring motif throughout The Kentucky Cycle. Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
Essay Topic 2
The Kentucky Cycle contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing in the plays and how it is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 3
Trace the relationship of the Talbert family with the Rowen family through The Kentucky Cycle, starting with Joe and Rebecca Talbert and ending with James Talbert Winston. Are the two families at peace by the end of the cycle? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)