|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other miners tease Tommy and Joshua about when Joshua arrives at the mine in Play Seven?
2. Who identifies what's wrong with Joshua?
3. At the end of Play Seven, what happens to Abe at the Treaty Oak?
4. Why does Joshua think the water tastes funny in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
5. In Scene two of Play Eight, what does Joshua give Scotty to welcome him to his new job as union field representative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Michael Rowen, Patrick Rowen, and Joshua Rowen in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Kentucky Cycle by Robert Schenkkhan begins during the rugged frontier era. What do you think Schenkkan is saying about frontier life and the men and women who find our country through the frontier-era plays: Play One, Masters of the Trade; Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star; and Play Three, The Homecoming? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Trace the relationship of the Talbert family with the Rowen family through The Kentucky Cycle, starting with Joe and Rebecca Talbert and ending with James Talbert Winston. Are the two families at peace by the end of the cycle? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)