|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Margaret Rowen mention drinking so much?
2. Who buys the winner of the boxing match in Play Seven a beer to celebrate the victory?
3. How does Abe respond when Mary Anne and Tommy argue in Play Seven?
4. In Play Eight, what issue does Scotty tell Joshua the miners are upset about in the new contract with the mining company?
5. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into doing in Play Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Michael Rowen, Patrick Rowen, and Joshua Rowen in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Revenge is one of the themes in The Kentucky Cycle. Pick any three of the plays in the book and discuss what you think the author is trying to say about revenge in each one. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Kentucky Cycle contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the plays and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)