|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy offer Andrew in Play Seven to obtain what he wants?
2. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
3. In Play Eight why does Joshua tell Scotty he can't tell the miners everything that is going on with the mining company?
4. How old do you have to be to work in the mines?
5. How many stories does J.T. tell over dinner in Play Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast three of the following African American characters from The Kentucky Cycle: Sallie Biggs, Jessie Biggs, Cassius Biggs, Sureta Biggs, and Franklin Biggs. Do the African American characters face different challenges than the Caucasian characters do throughout the cycle? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
The Rowen family's gold pocket watch is a recurring motif throughout The Kentucky Cycle. Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in The Kentucky Cycle. Give three examples of symbolism in the plays in this book and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)