|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Joe Talbert, Star's lover, at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
2. What is Earl Tod's country of origin?
3. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, what does Michael Rowen say happens at Zion?
4. What does the prologue in Play Six, Tall Tales, discuss?
5. Who does Jed shoot with Richard Talbert's pistol in Play Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there in Chapters Four to Seven of Play Seven that Tommy Jackson is not interested in supporting a coal miners' union?
2. At the beginning of Play Six, Tall Tales, why is Mary Anne Rowen reminiscing about how beautiful and colorful spring is in the Kentucky mountains?
3. How do the stories J.T. tells at supper in Scene Two of Play Six, Tall Tales, indicate he does not always tell the truth.
4. Explain the significance of the fact that Earl Tod speaks Cherokee in Play One, Masters of the Trade, when he first hears someone approaching him from the woods.
5. What thought does Morning Star think she and her newborn son share?
6. What character flaw do Patrick Rowen and his father Michael share and what dark act does it lead each of them to commit?
7. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into selling in Scene Two of Play Six and does Jed fully understand what he is selling?
8. Discuss how Tommy helps Abe get hired at the mines in Scene Two of Play Seven.
9. How does the mining accident in Scene Nine of Play Seven influence Mary Anne's opinion about the union?
10. Explain the significance of the title of Play Six, Tall Tales.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the relationship of the Talbert family with the Rowen family through The Kentucky Cycle, starting with Joe and Rebecca Talbert and ending with James Talbert Winston. Are the two families at peace by the end of the cycle? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in The Kentucky Cycle. Give three examples of symbolism in the plays in this book and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 3
The Kentucky Cycle contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing in the plays and how it is used to indicate events to come.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)