|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jed shoot with Richard Talbert's pistol in Play Five?
2. Why is Randall Talbert running away in Play Five?
3. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
4. What is the name of the tree under which Mary Anne's great-great-grandfather, Michael Rowen, buys his land from the Indians?
5. What does Michael Rowen say he wants when he appears at Earl Tod's campfire in Play One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how Tommy helps Abe get hired at the mines in Scene Two of Play Seven.
2. What evidence is there in Chapters Four to Seven of Play Seven that Tommy Jackson is not interested in supporting a coal miners' union?
3. What kind of soldier is Richard Talbert once he gets to the battle field in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
4. How do the stories J.T. tells at supper in Scene Two of Play Six, Tall Tales, indicate he does not always tell the truth.
5. What does the incident with the train in Scene Eleven of Play Seven indicate about the conflict between the coal miners and the mining company?
6. From where does Tommy take the Rowen family pocket watch in Scene Eight of Play Seven and with what is the pocket watch always associated?
7. Mary Anne Rowen tells Joshua at the end of Play Seven that the union is now his family. In what ways is the coal miners' union like a family to the miners?
8. What does Patrick Rowen tell Rebecca in Play Three, The Homecoming, that his father does to his baby sister?
9. At the beginning of Play Seven, what is wrong with Mary Anne's son, Joshua, and how is Mary Anne coping with it?
10. What does Michael Rowen mean when he tells Morning Star he learns early that blood is the "coin of the realm"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the relationship of the Talbert family with the Rowen family through The Kentucky Cycle, starting with Joe and Rebecca Talbert and ending with James Talbert Winston. Are the two families at peace by the end of the cycle? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Trace Mary Anne Rowen's journey of transformation from downtrodden miner's wife to union activist and mythic figure. Is her role typical or atypical for women of her rural background in her era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Kentucky Cycle contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the plays and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
This section contains 2,174 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)