|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play Five, which Talberts does Ezekiel tell Jed they kill?
2. What does Michael Rowen tell Earl Tod he does in Georgia before coming to Kentucky?
3. Why is Rebecca Talbert unhappy with Patrick Rowen at the beginning of Play Three, The Homecoming?
4. In Play Four, to whom does Patrick Rowen owe money now that his bank folds?
5. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen claim he does when he is just seven years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Play Eight, in what ways does Scotty's experience in the Korean War seem to influence his opinions about the mining company and the union?
2. Explain the significance of the title of Play Six, Tall Tales.
3. Who is Mother Jones in Play Seven?
4. Explain how Scene Three of Play Eight reflects the civil rights movement occurring in America during the mid-1950s when the play is set.
5. At the beginning of Play Seven, what is wrong with Mary Anne's son, Joshua, and how is Mary Anne coping with it?
6. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into selling in Scene Two of Play Six and does Jed fully understand what he is selling?
7. Who is the old man Jeremiah summons from the woods at the end of Play Four, Ties That Bind, and what does he want?
8. Why do the union and the mining company have to share responsibility for the mining accident at the end of Play Eight?
9. What is the significance of a wolf howl occurring both at the beginning of The Kentucky Cycle in Play One and at the end of the Kentucky Cycle in Play Nine?
10. Why are Mary Anne and Tommy willing to take Abe Steinman in as a boarder, even though he is a stranger and involved with the union?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Morning Star, Sallie Biggs, and Mary Anne Rowen in The Kentucky Cycle. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Select three plays from The Kentucky Cycle. Discuss how the titles of the plays relate to the plots and characters in each play. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Kentucky Cycle by Robert Schenkkhan begins during the rugged frontier era. What do you think Schenkkan is saying about frontier life and the men and women who find our country through the frontier-era plays: Play One, Masters of the Trade; Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star; and Play Three, The Homecoming? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)