|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen claim he does when he is just seven years old?
2. Why is Rebecca Talbert unhappy with Patrick Rowen at the beginning of Play Three, The Homecoming?
3. In what year does Play Six, Tall Tales, take place?
4. In what year does Play Four, Ties That Bind, take place?
5. What happens in Lawrenceburg, Kansas in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jed Rowen agree to join the Confederate Army with Richard Talbert?
2. Describe the mining incident with Mackie in Scene One of Play Seven.
3. Discuss how Tommy helps Abe get hired at the mines in Scene Two of Play Seven.
4. Do things improve for the coal miners between the formation of the union in 1920 and Joshua Rowen's speech in Union Hall in 1954 at the beginning of Play Eight?
5. Explain how Jeremiah's name foreshadows the fate of the Rowen family in Play Four, Ties That Bind.
6. What solution does Abe suggest in Scene Three of Play Seven for reducing Joshua's fever and what does he suggest Mary Anne do to prevent further such fevers?
7. Why doesn't Tommy Jackson trust J.T. in Scene One of Play Six, Tall Tales?
8. Why are Mary Anne and Tommy willing to take Abe Steinman in as a boarder, even though he is a stranger and involved with the union?
9. Discuss the significance of the title of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, both literally and figuratively.
10. How is Ezekiel Rowen's nickname of Preacher ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom and independence is one of the themes in The Kentucky Cycle. Pick any three of the plays in the book and discuss what you think the author is trying to say about freedom and independence in each one. Does the historical era of a play limit or expand the freedom of women or minorities from what it is in previous or subsequent plays? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Select three plays from The Kentucky Cycle. Discuss how the titles of the plays relate to the plots and characters in each play. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Pick three of the following marriages and compare and contrast the relationships: Lallie and Jed Rowen, Michael Rowen and Morning Star, Joshua and Margaret Rowen, and Mary Anne Rowen and Tommy Jackson. Do any of these relationships seem happy? What historical events or conflicts do some of these marriages reflect? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)