|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen claim he does when he is just seven years old?
2. What is the Cherokee term for Morning Star?
3. What happens to Joe Talbert, Star's lover, at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
4. What is the only thing Ezekiel Rowen takes from the Talbert home at the end of Play Five?
5. In what year does Play Four, Ties That Bind, take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. From where does Joshua get the Rowen gold watch in Play Nine, what does he do with it and what do his actions symbolize?
2. What character flaw do Patrick Rowen and his father Michael share and what dark act does it lead each of them to commit?
3. What evidence in Play Eight indicates that Margaret Rowen is an alcoholic?
4. What deal does Tommy make with Andrew in Scene Eight of Play Seven and why does he make it?
5. Why does Lana want to break off her affair with Joshua?
6. In Play Eight, in what ways does Scotty's experience in the Korean War seem to influence his opinions about the mining company and the union?
7. What is the significance of a wolf howl occurring both at the beginning of The Kentucky Cycle in Play One and at the end of the Kentucky Cycle in Play Nine?
8. What happens when Jed tells Mary Anne the truth about the contract he persuaded her father to sign in Scene Three of Play Six?
9. What evidence is there in Chapters Four to Seven of Play Seven that Tommy Jackson is not interested in supporting a coal miners' union?
10. Discuss Richard Talbert's attempt in Play Five, God's Great Supper, to persuade Jed Rowen to resolve their family differences.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rowen family's gold pocket watch is a recurring motif throughout The Kentucky Cycle. Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
Essay Topic 2
Pick three of the following marriages and compare and contrast the relationships: Lallie and Jed Rowen, Michael Rowen and Morning Star, Joshua and Margaret Rowen, and Mary Anne Rowen and Tommy Jackson. Do any of these relationships seem happy? What historical events or conflicts do some of these marriages reflect? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Trace the relationship of the Talbert family with the Rowen family through The Kentucky Cycle, starting with Joe and Rebecca Talbert and ending with James Talbert Winston. Are the two families at peace by the end of the cycle? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,501 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)