|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, how does Michael Rowen say he injures his ankle?
(a) In a fall from his horse.
(b) His foot gets caught in a bear trap.
(c) He falls down some steps.
(d) In a tumble down a hill.
2. Why is Rebecca Talbert unhappy with Patrick Rowen at the beginning of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) She catches him kissing another woman.
(b) He refuses to marry her.
(c) He doesn't tell his father he wants to marry Rebecca.
(d) He beats up her brother in a fight.
3. What do Rebecca Talbert and Patrick Rowen want to do?
(a) Learn to speak Cherokee.
(b) Start a business.
(c) Build a house.
(d) Get married.
4. In Play Five, how does Randall's father, Richard, punish the boy for running away?
(a) He makes Randall tend the family mules.
(b) He withholds Randall's monthly allowance.
(c) He makes Randall work the fields with the sharecroppers.
(d) He whips Randall's hand and sends him home.
5. What is the name of the tree under which Mary Anne's great-great-grandfather, Michael Rowen, buys his land from the Indians?
(a) Treaty Oak.
(b) Cherokee Oak.
(c) Indian Maple.
(d) Cherokee Birch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael Rowen say he wants when he appears at Earl Tod's campfire in Play One?
2. In Scene Four of The Courtship of Morning Star, how does Morning star respond when Michael Rowen pulls her into his lap and begins kissing her?
3. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Rowen plan to do if Morning Star has a girl instead of a boy when she delivers the baby she is expecting?
4. In Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star, why can't the Indian woman escape?
5. Why does Jed initially resist Richard's arguments about joining the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jed's dream change at the end of Play Five, God's Great Supper, from what it is at the beginning of the play?
2. Why does Lana want to break off her affair with Joshua?
3. Why does Jed Rowen agree to join the Confederate Army with Richard Talbert?
4. What is the significance of the pock marks on Morning Star's skin in Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star?
5. What is the significance of Morning Star's statement in Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, that her baby is "born with teeth"?
6. What does the incident with the train in Scene Eleven of Play Seven indicate about the conflict between the coal miners and the mining company?
7. Why do the union and the mining company have to share responsibility for the mining accident at the end of Play Eight?
8. In Play Four, Ties That Bind, why does Patrick Rowen seem to favor his younger son, Zach, over his older son, Zeke?
9. What evidence is there in Chapters Four to Seven of Play Seven that Tommy Jackson is not interested in supporting a coal miners' union?
10. Discuss how Tommy helps Abe get hired at the mines in Scene Two of Play Seven.
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)