|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Indian woman in Scene One of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) She drowns in the river.
(b) She develops a fever.
(c) She falls in love with Michael Rowen.
(d) Michael Rowen drags her into his cabin against her will.
2. Who does Michael Rowen bring back from Louisville with him in Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) A black female slave.
(b) A British soldier.
(c) A doctor.
(d) His Irish mother.
3. Once Jed agrees to join the Confederate Army with Richard and Richard leaves, what do Ezekiel and Jed reveal?
(a) Jed gets one of Richard's daughters pregnant.
(b) They can't repay their debts and are fleeing Kentucky.
(c) They plan for Jed to join the Army to kill Richard.
(d) They poisen Richard's wells.
4. What secret does Jeremiah reveal at the end of Play Four, Ties That Bind?
(a) He is Patrick's half brother.
(b) He is Joe Talbert's son getting revenge for his pa's murder.
(c) He is building a new bank to replace the failed one.
(d) He is a Rowen.
5. In Play Five, who does Ezekiel find hiding under the Rowen porch and overhearing his conversation with Jed about killing Richard?
(a) Randall Talbert.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Talberts survive the attack on their home in Play Five?
2. Why does J.T. claim he is saving Mary Anne's life or at least her soul?
3. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
4. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, how does Michael Rowen say he injures his ankle?
5. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen claim he does when he is just seven years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jed Rowen agree to join the Confederate Army with Richard Talbert?
2. Why do the union and the mining company have to share responsibility for the mining accident at the end of Play Eight?
3. Discuss how J.T. fascinates Mary Anne Rowen in Play Six, Tall Tales.
4. Who is Mother Jones in Play Seven?
5. Discuss Joshua's dream at the beginning of Play Nine and what it symbolizes.
6. Discuss Richard Talbert's attempt in Play Five, God's Great Supper, to persuade Jed Rowen to resolve their family differences.
7. What kind of soldier is Richard Talbert once he gets to the battle field in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
8. What is the significance of the pock marks on Morning Star's skin in Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star?
9. From where does Tommy take the Rowen family pocket watch in Scene Eight of Play Seven and with what is the pocket watch always associated?
10. Why does Tommy want to hire the preacher to produce a fake birth certificate in Scene Seven of Play Seven, even though Mary Anne can produce Joshua's true birth certificate?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)