|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Cherokee term for Morning Star?
(a) O si yo.
(b) Gado adi.
(c) Knox Sanale.
(d) Didi luga.
2. When Jed returns home at the end of Play Five, what do he and his father and friends do?
(a) Go into hiding from Sherman's Yankee army.
(b) Have a celebratory dinner.
(c) Switch sides and fight for the Yankees.
(d) Attack the Talbert home, burning and killing.
3. What happens to the Indian woman in Scene One of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) She drowns in the river.
(b) She falls in love with Michael Rowen.
(c) Michael Rowen drags her into his cabin against her will.
(d) She develops a fever.
4. Who does Rebecca Talbert tell Patrick Rowen his mother Star is visiting?
(a) Her Cherokee tribe.
(b) The local preacher.
(c) A neighbor woman.
(d) Rebecca's father, Joe Talbert.
5. Why does Patrick Rowen have three loans from a local bank in Play Four?
(a) To build a new house.
(b) To buy farm equipment.
(c) To buy horses.
(d) To expand the Rowen land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Talberts survive the attack on their home in Play Five?
2. When Talbert and his men retreat to the river during their first battle in Play Five, what happens to Talbert?
3. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Rowen plan to do if Morning Star has a girl instead of a boy when she delivers the baby she is expecting?
4. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, what does Michael Rowen say happens at Zion?
5. In Play Four, what does Jeremiah call Zeke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the incident with the train in Scene Eleven of Play Seven indicate about the conflict between the coal miners and the mining company?
2. What kind of soldier is Richard Talbert once he gets to the battle field in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
3. Discuss how J.T. fascinates Mary Anne Rowen in Play Six, Tall Tales.
4. Why does Tommy attack J.T. in Scene Three of Play Six and what is Mary Anne's response when he does?
5. Why doesn't Joshua want the miners to walk out of the unsafe Blue Star Mine in Play Eight?
6. From where does Joshua get the Rowen gold watch in Play Nine, what does he do with it and what do his actions symbolize?
7. Mary Anne Rowen tells Joshua at the end of Play Seven that the union is now his family. In what ways is the coal miners' union like a family to the miners?
8. Why are Mary Anne and Tommy willing to take Abe Steinman in as a boarder, even though he is a stranger and involved with the union?
9. Discuss the significance of the title of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, both literally and figuratively.
10. What do Taskwan's statement that the land Michael Rowen wants is cursed and Dragging Canoe's statement that the land is dark and bloody in Play One, Masters of the Trade foreshadow?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)