|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Scene One of Play Six, what does J.T. do while Mary Anne Rowen is at the stream?
(a) Hums a song.
(b) Clears his throat to introduce himself.
(c) Whistles at her.
(d) Tosses a pebble over her shoulder and into the water.
2. Who gives an inspirational speech when Talbert's army first heads off to battle?
(a) Richard Talbert.
(b) Jed Rowen.
(c) Patrick Rowen.
(d) Ezekiel Rowen.
3. What is Zeke's relationship to Zach in Play Four, Ties that Bind?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) They are friends.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are neighbors.
4. In Scene Five of The Courtship of Morning Star, what one thought does Morning Star think she and her infant son share?
(a) Love of Rowen.
(b) A desire to run away from Rowen.
(c) Death to Rowen.
(d) A desire to return to the Cherokee.
5. In Play Four, what does Patrick Rowen ask Jessie to do with the circuit court's mules, if any shooting occurs during the court's visit?
(a) Make the mules hard to find.
(b) Feed the mules.
(c) Shoot the mules.
(d) Drown the mules.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play Three, The Homecoming, what does Patrick Rowen do to his father Michael during their argument while Michael bathes?
2. Who does Rebecca Talbert tell Patrick Rowen his mother Star is visiting?
3. What happens in Lawrenceburg, Kansas in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
4. What is the name of the tree under which Mary Anne's great-great-grandfather, Michael Rowen, buys his land from the Indians?
5. What happens to Morning Star's leg in Scene Five of The Courtship of Morning Star?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how Tommy helps Abe get hired at the mines in Scene Two of Play Seven.
2. What is the significance of a wolf howl occurring both at the beginning of The Kentucky Cycle in Play One and at the end of the Kentucky Cycle in Play Nine?
3. Is there any evidence in the text to suggest that the miners and Andrew know that Joshua Rowen is underage when he starts working at the mine in Scene Eight of Play Seven?
4. Is there any evidence that Morning Star's marriage to Michael Rowen is any happier in Play Three, The Homecoming, than it is in Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star?
5. Explain how Scene Three of Play Eight reflects the civil rights movement occurring in America during the mid-1950s when the play is set.
6. What kind of soldier is Richard Talbert once he gets to the battle field in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
7. Explain the significance of the title of Play Six, Tall Tales.
8. What happens when Jed tells Mary Anne the truth about the contract he persuaded her father to sign in Scene Three of Play Six?
9. From where does Joshua get the Rowen gold watch in Play Nine, what does he do with it and what do his actions symbolize?
10. In Play Four, Ties That Bind, why does Patrick Rowen seem to favor his younger son, Zach, over his older son, Zeke?
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)