Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Play Five, once Jed forces his way onto the crowded ferry with the injured Richard Talbert?
(a) Jed abandons Talbert once they get across the river.
(b) Jed shoots everyone on the ferry and takes over the boat.
(c) Jed pushes Talbert overboard and watches him drown.
(d) Jed flees the army and becomes a deserter.
2. Why does J.T. claim he is saving Mary Anne's life or at least her soul?
(a) The devil is said to hide in the muddy bottom of streams.
(b) Indians are lurking in the woods nearby.
(c) She can fall into the stream and drown.
(d) He is a preacher.
3. Who does Rebecca Talbert tell Patrick Rowen his mother Star is visiting?
(a) A neighbor woman.
(b) Her Cherokee tribe.
(c) The local preacher.
(d) Rebecca's father, Joe Talbert.
4. What does Earl Tod do before he offers Michael Rowen food and water?
(a) He offers Rowen whiskey.
(b) He demands money for his hospitality.
(c) He knocks Rowen down and searches him for weapons.
(d) He introduces Rowen to Sam.
5. Who gives an inspirational speech when Talbert's army first heads off to battle?
(a) Richard Talbert.
(b) Patrick Rowen.
(c) Ezekiel Rowen.
(d) Jed Rowen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose raiders does Jed join after he leaves Talbert's army in Play Five?
2. How old is Patrick Rowen in Play Five?
3. In Play Five, who heads the wrong way, while riding out to Bowling Green when Talbert's army first heads off to battle?
4. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
5. When Jed returns home at the end of Play Five, what do he and his father and friends do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the old man Jeremiah summons from the woods at the end of Play Four, Ties That Bind, and what does he want?
2. What is the significance of a wolf howl occurring both at the beginning of The Kentucky Cycle in Play One and at the end of the Kentucky Cycle in Play Nine?
3. Do things improve for the coal miners between the formation of the union in 1920 and Joshua Rowen's speech in Union Hall in 1954 at the beginning of Play Eight?
4. What is the significance of Morning Star's failure to tell her son about her visits to Joe Talbert?
5. Describe Jed Rowen's dream at the beginning of Play Five, God's Great Supper.
6. What is Jeremiah's motivation for wanting control of Patrick Rowen's land?
7. Which Talberts does Jed let live when his family attacks the Talbert homestead in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
8. What does Michael Rowen claim his life is like prior to coming to Kentucky?
9. How is Ezekiel Rowen's nickname of Preacher ironic?
10. What solution does Abe suggest in Scene Three of Play Seven for reducing Joshua's fever and what does he suggest Mary Anne do to prevent further such fevers?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)