|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, how does Michael Rowen say he injures his ankle?
(a) In a tumble down a hill.
(b) His foot gets caught in a bear trap.
(c) He falls down some steps.
(d) In a fall from his horse.
2. Why does J.T. claim he is saving Mary Anne's life or at least her soul?
(a) Indians are lurking in the woods nearby.
(b) He is a preacher.
(c) The devil is said to hide in the muddy bottom of streams.
(d) She can fall into the stream and drown.
3. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen claim he does when he is just seven years old?
(a) Go to jail.
(b) Become an indentured servant.
(c) Kill his first man.
(d) Rob a merchant.
4. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy Jackson in Play Six?
(a) Tommy is her cousin.
(b) Tommy is her friend.
(c) Tommy is her boyfriend.
(d) Tommy is her brother.
5. Whose raiders does Jed join after he leaves Talbert's army in Play Five?
(a) A Union officer's raiders.
(b) A group of Kentucky raiders.
(c) A group of black raiders.
(d) Quantrill's raiders.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does the narrator of the prologue in Play Six no longer believe ?
2. What does the Indian woman try to hit Michael Rowen with in Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star?
3. How old is Patrick Rowen in Play Five?
4. What happens to the Indian woman in Scene One of The Courtship of Morning Star?
5. In what year is Play One, Masters of the Trade, set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of a wolf howl occurring both at the beginning of The Kentucky Cycle in Play One and at the end of the Kentucky Cycle in Play Nine?
2. How does the mining accident in Scene Nine of Play Seven influence Mary Anne's opinion about the union?
3. What happens when Jed tells Mary Anne the truth about the contract he persuaded her father to sign in Scene Three of Play Six?
4. What is the significance of Morning Star's failure to tell her son about her visits to Joe Talbert?
5. What is the significance of Morning Star's statement in Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, that her baby is "born with teeth"?
6. Discuss how J.T. fascinates Mary Anne Rowen in Play Six, Tall Tales.
7. What does Michael Rowen mean when he tells Morning Star he learns early that blood is the "coin of the realm"?
8. What thought does Morning Star think she and her newborn son share?
9. What evidence in Play Eight indicates that Margaret Rowen is an alcoholic?
10. Discuss Joshua's dream at the beginning of Play Nine and what it symbolizes.
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)