|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, what does Michael Rowen say happens at Zion?
(a) Daniel Boone visits the settlement.
(b) A new general store opens.
(c) Cherokee attack and wipe out the settlement.
(d) A new mayor is elected.
2. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy Jackson in Play Six?
(a) Tommy is her boyfriend.
(b) Tommy is her friend.
(c) Tommy is her brother.
(d) Tommy is her cousin.
3. What happens in Play Five, once Jed forces his way onto the crowded ferry with the injured Richard Talbert?
(a) Jed flees the army and becomes a deserter.
(b) Jed abandons Talbert once they get across the river.
(c) Jed pushes Talbert overboard and watches him drown.
(d) Jed shoots everyone on the ferry and takes over the boat.
4. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen want now that he is prosperous?
(a) A stable of thoroughbred horses.
(b) A fancy wardrobe.
(c) A big house.
(d) A wife and family.
5. What does Earl Tod do before he offers Michael Rowen food and water?
(a) He knocks Rowen down and searches him for weapons.
(b) He introduces Rowen to Sam.
(c) He demands money for his hospitality.
(d) He offers Rowen whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michael Rowen's country of origin?
2. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
3. What is the only thing Ezekiel Rowen takes from the Talbert home at the end of Play Five?
4. In Play Five, how does Randall's father, Richard, punish the boy for running away?
5. In Scene Five of The Courtship of Morning Star, what one thought does Morning Star think she and her infant son share?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Morning Star's failure to tell her son about her visits to Joe Talbert?
2. Which Talberts does Jed let live when his family attacks the Talbert homestead in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
3. What do Taskwan's statement that the land Michael Rowen wants is cursed and Dragging Canoe's statement that the land is dark and bloody in Play One, Masters of the Trade foreshadow?
4. At the beginning of Play Six, Tall Tales, why is Mary Anne Rowen reminiscing about how beautiful and colorful spring is in the Kentucky mountains?
5. From where does Joshua get the Rowen gold watch in Play Nine, what does he do with it and what do his actions symbolize?
6. What is the significance of the pock marks on Morning Star's skin in Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star?
7. What is the significance of Morning Star's statement in Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, that her baby is "born with teeth"?
8. Discuss Joshua's dream at the beginning of Play Nine and what it symbolizes.
9. What is Jeremiah's motivation for wanting control of Patrick Rowen's land?
10. Is there any evidence in the text to suggest that the miners and Andrew know that Joshua Rowen is underage when he starts working at the mine in Scene Eight of Play Seven?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)