|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, in what language does Earl Tod initially speak?
2. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, how does Michael Rowen say he injures his ankle?
(a) He falls down some steps.
(b) His foot gets caught in a bear trap.
(c) In a tumble down a hill.
(d) In a fall from his horse.
3. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) A lock of her hair.
(b) A silver rattle.
(c) The gold pocket watch Rowen took from Earl Tod.
(d) A cornshuck doll.
4. What does Patrick Rowen offer the fat judge upon his arrival in Play Four, Ties That Bind?
(a) A drink of whiskey.
(b) A meal.
(c) A drink of water.
(d) A seat on the family's best cane bottom chair.
5. In what year does Play Six, Tall Tales, take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Richard tell Jed they should bury their differences?
2. Who is wresting as Play Four, Ties That Bind, opens?
3. Which Talberts survive the attack on their home in Play Five?
4. Why is Rebecca Talbert unhappy with Patrick Rowen at the beginning of Play Three, The Homecoming?
5. Once Jed agrees to join the Confederate Army with Richard and Richard leaves, what do Ezekiel and Jed reveal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there any evidence that Morning Star's marriage to Michael Rowen is any happier in Play Three, The Homecoming, than it is in Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star?
2. Why does Jed Rowen agree to join the Confederate Army with Richard Talbert?
3. Is there any evidence in the text to suggest that the miners and Andrew know that Joshua Rowen is underage when he starts working at the mine in Scene Eight of Play Seven?
4. How does Jed's dream change at the end of Play Five, God's Great Supper, from what it is at the beginning of the play?
5. What is the significance of a wolf howl occurring both at the beginning of The Kentucky Cycle in Play One and at the end of the Kentucky Cycle in Play Nine?
6. How is Ezekiel Rowen's nickname of Preacher ironic?
7. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into selling in Scene Two of Play Six and does Jed fully understand what he is selling?
8. Who is Mother Jones in Play Seven?
9. Why does Tommy want to hire the preacher to produce a fake birth certificate in Scene Seven of Play Seven, even though Mary Anne can produce Joshua's true birth certificate?
10. What is the significance of the pock marks on Morning Star's skin in Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)