|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Randall Talbert running away in Play Five?
(a) To get married.
(b) To avoid punishment for stealing.
(c) To fight the Yankees.
(d) To escape his father's abuse.
2. What is the only thing Ezekiel Rowen takes from the Talbert home at the end of Play Five?
(a) Talbert's military sword.
(b) A Bible.
(c) Richard Talbert's Colt pistols.
(d) The gold pocket watch that is once his father Patrick's.
3. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, how does Michael Rowen say he injures his ankle?
(a) In a tumble down a hill.
(b) He falls down some steps.
(c) His foot gets caught in a bear trap.
(d) In a fall from his horse.
4. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, what does Michael Rowen say happens at Zion?
(a) Daniel Boone visits the settlement.
(b) A new general store opens.
(c) A new mayor is elected.
(d) Cherokee attack and wipe out the settlement.
5. What does Michael Rowen take from Earl Tod's belongings after Tod's death?
(a) Five hundred dollars in gold and silver.
(b) A love letter to Tod's wife.
(c) A gold pocket watch.
(d) A wanted poster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Star at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
2. Which Talberts survive the attack on their home in Play Five?
3. Who is wresting as Play Four, Ties That Bind, opens?
4. In Play Five, which Talberts does Ezekiel tell Jed they kill?
5. Who does Michael Rowen bring back from Louisville with him in Play Three, The Homecoming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Joshua's dream at the beginning of Play Nine and what it symbolizes.
2. What solution does Abe suggest in Scene Three of Play Seven for reducing Joshua's fever and what does he suggest Mary Anne do to prevent further such fevers?
3. Do things improve for the coal miners between the formation of the union in 1920 and Joshua Rowen's speech in Union Hall in 1954 at the beginning of Play Eight?
4. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into selling in Scene Two of Play Six and does Jed fully understand what he is selling?
5. What character flaw do Patrick Rowen and his father Michael share and what dark act does it lead each of them to commit?
6. Discuss how Tommy helps Abe get hired at the mines in Scene Two of Play Seven.
7. Mary Anne Rowen tells Joshua at the end of Play Seven that the union is now his family. In what ways is the coal miners' union like a family to the miners?
8. What thought does Morning Star think she and her newborn son share?
9. What is Jeremiah's motivation for wanting control of Patrick Rowen's land?
10. Why does Tommy attack J.T. in Scene Three of Play Six and what is Mary Anne's response when he does?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)