|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What deal does Michael Rowen make with the Cherokee warriors Dragging Canoe and Taskwan in Play One, Masters of the Trade?
(a) A trade of beads for horses.
(b) A trade of powder, shot and blankets for fur pelts.
(c) A trade of whiskey for women.
(d) A trade of whiskey for fresh fish and game.
2. When Talbert and his men retreat to the river during their first battle in Play Five, what happens to Talbert?
(a) He is captured by a Union lieutenant.
(b) He develops dysentery.
(c) He falls and breaks his ankle.
(d) He is wounded by a Union bullet.
3. In what year does Play Five, God's Great Supper, take place?
4. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, what does Michael Rowen say happens at Zion?
(a) Daniel Boone visits the settlement.
(b) A new general store opens.
(c) Cherokee attack and wipe out the settlement.
(d) A new mayor is elected.
5. How long after the first play does the second play, The Courtship of Morning Star, take place?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Twenty-five years.
(c) One year.
(d) One hundred years.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does the narrator of the prologue in Play Six no longer believe ?
2. In the prologue of Play Six, who stands off to the side while 14-year-old Mary Anne Rowen sits at the creek?
3. In what year does Play Four, Ties That Bind, take place?
4. What is wrong with the blankets Michael Rowen gives Dragging Canoe and Taskwan?
5. Who does Michael Rowen bring back from Louisville with him in Play Three, The Homecoming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tommy want to hire the preacher to produce a fake birth certificate in Scene Seven of Play Seven, even though Mary Anne can produce Joshua's true birth certificate?
2. What happens when Jed tells Mary Anne the truth about the contract he persuaded her father to sign in Scene Three of Play Six?
3. What does the incident with the train in Scene Eleven of Play Seven indicate about the conflict between the coal miners and the mining company?
4. Mary Anne Rowen tells Joshua at the end of Play Seven that the union is now his family. In what ways is the coal miners' union like a family to the miners?
5. From where does Tommy take the Rowen family pocket watch in Scene Eight of Play Seven and with what is the pocket watch always associated?
6. How do the stories J.T. tells at supper in Scene Two of Play Six, Tall Tales, indicate he does not always tell the truth.
7. Discuss how J.T. fascinates Mary Anne Rowen in Play Six, Tall Tales.
8. Why do the union and the mining company have to share responsibility for the mining accident at the end of Play Eight?
9. What solution does Abe suggest in Scene Three of Play Seven for reducing Joshua's fever and what does he suggest Mary Anne do to prevent further such fevers?
10. What character flaw do Patrick Rowen and his father Michael share and what dark act does it lead each of them to commit?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)