|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jed returns home at the end of Play Five, what do he and his father and friends do?
(a) Attack the Talbert home, burning and killing.
(b) Switch sides and fight for the Yankees.
(c) Go into hiding from Sherman's Yankee army.
(d) Have a celebratory dinner.
2. In Scene Five of The Courtship of Morning Star, what one thought does Morning Star think she and her infant son share?
(a) Love of Rowen.
(b) A desire to run away from Rowen.
(c) A desire to return to the Cherokee.
(d) Death to Rowen.
3. Whose raiders does Jed join after he leaves Talbert's army in Play Five?
(a) Quantrill's raiders.
(b) A Union officer's raiders.
(c) A group of black raiders.
(d) A group of Kentucky raiders.
4. What does Michael Rowen tell Earl Tod he does in Georgia before coming to Kentucky?
(a) He is a preacher.
(b) He is a schoolmaster.
(c) He is a soldier.
(d) He is an indentured servant.
5. Who is wresting as Play Four, Ties That Bind, opens?
(a) Zeke and Zach.
(b) Jessie and Zeke.
(c) Patrick and Jessie.
(d) Jessie and Zach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cities does J.T. claim to visit in Play Six?
2. In what does the narrator of the prologue in Play Six no longer believe ?
3. What does the prologue in Play Six, Tall Tales, discuss?
4. When Patrick Rowen tells his father he wants to marry Rebecca Talbert, how does Michael Rowen react?
5. What does the Indian woman try to hit Michael Rowen with in Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution does Abe suggest in Scene Three of Play Seven for reducing Joshua's fever and what does he suggest Mary Anne do to prevent further such fevers?
2. What evidence in Play Eight indicates that Margaret Rowen is an alcoholic?
3. Why does Joshua hesitate to sell his property in Play Nine and is this how he always feels or is it indicative of a change in his character?
4. Describe the mining incident with Mackie in Scene One of Play Seven.
5. What do Taskwan's statement that the land Michael Rowen wants is cursed and Dragging Canoe's statement that the land is dark and bloody in Play One, Masters of the Trade foreshadow?
6. Is there any evidence that Morning Star's marriage to Michael Rowen is any happier in Play Three, The Homecoming, than it is in Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star?
7. How does Jed's dream change at the end of Play Five, God's Great Supper, from what it is at the beginning of the play?
8. Why are Mary Anne and Tommy willing to take Abe Steinman in as a boarder, even though he is a stranger and involved with the union?
9. At the beginning of Play Six, Tall Tales, why is Mary Anne Rowen reminiscing about how beautiful and colorful spring is in the Kentucky mountains?
10. In Play Eight, in what ways does Scotty's experience in the Korean War seem to influence his opinions about the mining company and the union?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)