|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, how does Michael Rowen say he injures his ankle?
(a) He falls down some steps.
(b) In a fall from his horse.
(c) His foot gets caught in a bear trap.
(d) In a tumble down a hill.
2. When Patrick Rowen and his father Michael argue in Play Three, The Homecoming, what does Star deliberately do to Michael in his bath?
(a) Tries to drown him.
(b) Puts soap in his eyes.
(c) Freezes him with cold water.
(d) Scalds him with hot water.
3. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy Jackson in Play Six?
(a) Tommy is her friend.
(b) Tommy is her boyfriend.
(c) Tommy is her brother.
(d) Tommy is her cousin.
4. Who gives an inspirational speech when Talbert's army first heads off to battle?
(a) Patrick Rowen.
(b) Jed Rowen.
(c) Ezekiel Rowen.
(d) Richard Talbert.
5. In Play Five, who does Ezekiel find hiding under the Rowen porch and overhearing his conversation with Jed about killing Richard?
(a) Randall Talbert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cities does J.T. claim to visit in Play Six?
2. Who does Rebecca Talbert tell Patrick Rowen his mother Star is visiting?
3. In what year does Play Five, God's Great Supper, take place?
4. Why does J.T. claim he is saving Mary Anne's life or at least her soul?
5. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, what does Michael Rowen say happens at Zion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michael Rowen mean when he tells Morning Star he learns early that blood is the "coin of the realm"?
2. Mary Anne Rowen tells Joshua at the end of Play Seven that the union is now his family. In what ways is the coal miners' union like a family to the miners?
3. Why does Tommy want to hire the preacher to produce a fake birth certificate in Scene Seven of Play Seven, even though Mary Anne can produce Joshua's true birth certificate?
4. What deal does Tommy make with Andrew in Scene Eight of Play Seven and why does he make it?
5. Explain the significance of the title of Play Six, Tall Tales.
6. What do Taskwan's statement that the land Michael Rowen wants is cursed and Dragging Canoe's statement that the land is dark and bloody in Play One, Masters of the Trade foreshadow?
7. Why does Joshua hesitate to sell his property in Play Nine and is this how he always feels or is it indicative of a change in his character?
8. In Play Four, Ties That Bind, why does Patrick Rowen seem to favor his younger son, Zach, over his older son, Zeke?
9. What solution does Abe suggest in Scene Three of Play Seven for reducing Joshua's fever and what does he suggest Mary Anne do to prevent further such fevers?
10. Why does Jed Rowen agree to join the Confederate Army with Richard Talbert?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)