|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to J.T. at the beginning of Play Six, who sometimes takes the shape of a channel catfish?
(a) The devil.
(b) A Cherokee Indian spirit.
(c) A water nymph.
(d) The ghost of Joe Talbert.
2. In what year is Play One, Masters of the Trade, set?
3. Why does Richard want Jed to join his troops?
(a) Jed is a big man who can fight well.
(b) Jed's a good shot and good with horses.
(c) Jed knows the countryside in which they are fighting.
(d) It keeps Jed away from the Talbert women.
4. How old are Rebecca Talbert and Patrick Rowen in Play Three, The Homecoming?
5. What happens to Star at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) Patrick shoots her.
(b) Patrick orders her off his land and she vows to see him hang.
(c) She marries Joe Talbert.
(d) She gets a new horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does J.T. claim he is saving Mary Anne's life or at least her soul?
2. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, in what language does Earl Tod initially speak?
3. What happens in Play Five, once Jed forces his way onto the crowded ferry with the injured Richard Talbert?
4. What does Jed do when Talbert asks for his help in getting off the battle field in Play Five?
5. What cities does J.T. claim to visit in Play Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tommy want to hire the preacher to produce a fake birth certificate in Scene Seven of Play Seven, even though Mary Anne can produce Joshua's true birth certificate?
2. Why does Jed Rowen agree to join the Confederate Army with Richard Talbert?
3. From where does Tommy take the Rowen family pocket watch in Scene Eight of Play Seven and with what is the pocket watch always associated?
4. Discuss how J.T. fascinates Mary Anne Rowen in Play Six, Tall Tales.
5. What does the incident with the train in Scene Eleven of Play Seven indicate about the conflict between the coal miners and the mining company?
6. What does Patrick Rowen tell Rebecca in Play Three, The Homecoming, that his father does to his baby sister?
7. Do things improve for the coal miners between the formation of the union in 1920 and Joshua Rowen's speech in Union Hall in 1954 at the beginning of Play Eight?
8. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into selling in Scene Two of Play Six and does Jed fully understand what he is selling?
9. Discuss the significance of the title of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, both literally and figuratively.
10. At the beginning of Play Six, Tall Tales, why is Mary Anne Rowen reminiscing about how beautiful and colorful spring is in the Kentucky mountains?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)