|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Rebecca Talbert unhappy with Patrick Rowen at the beginning of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) He doesn't tell his father he wants to marry Rebecca.
(b) He refuses to marry her.
(c) She catches him kissing another woman.
(d) He beats up her brother in a fight.
2. Why does Richard tell Jed they should bury their differences?
(a) To unite against a common foe, the Yankees.
(b) He's tired of the bad blood between them.
(c) He wants to marry Jed's sister.
(d) He is running for office and wants Jed's vote.
3. What happens to the Indian woman in Scene One of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) Michael Rowen drags her into his cabin against her will.
(b) She develops a fever.
(c) She falls in love with Michael Rowen.
(d) She drowns in the river.
4. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Rowen plan to do if Morning Star has a girl instead of a boy when she delivers the baby she is expecting?
(a) Sell the child as an indentured servant.
(b) Celebrate the girl's birth with a big party.
(c) Leave the baby girl on a mountain to die.
(d) Send the child to live with the Indians.
5. Whose raiders does Jed join after he leaves Talbert's army in Play Five?
(a) Quantrill's raiders.
(b) A group of black raiders.
(c) A Union officer's raiders.
(d) A group of Kentucky raiders.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Scene One of Play Six, what does J.T. do while Mary Anne Rowen is at the stream?
2. When Patrick Rowen tells his father he wants to marry Rebecca Talbert, how does Michael Rowen react?
3. In what year does Play Five, God's Great Supper, take place?
4. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy Jackson in Play Six?
5. In what does the narrator of the prologue in Play Six no longer believe ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Scotty's tragic flaw?
2. Who is Mother Jones in Play Seven?
3. Discuss the significance of the title of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, both literally and figuratively.
4. Discuss Richard Talbert's attempt in Play Five, God's Great Supper, to persuade Jed Rowen to resolve their family differences.
5. What happens when Jed tells Mary Anne the truth about the contract he persuaded her father to sign in Scene Three of Play Six?
6. What solution does Abe suggest in Scene Three of Play Seven for reducing Joshua's fever and what does he suggest Mary Anne do to prevent further such fevers?
7. What kind of soldier is Richard Talbert once he gets to the battle field in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
8. What does Michael Rowen mean when he tells Morning Star he learns early that blood is the "coin of the realm"?
9. What do Taskwan's statement that the land Michael Rowen wants is cursed and Dragging Canoe's statement that the land is dark and bloody in Play One, Masters of the Trade foreshadow?
10. What is Jeremiah's motivation for wanting control of Patrick Rowen's land?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)