|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Play Eight, from what branch of the military is Scotty discharged?
(a) The Coast Guard.
(b) The Marines.
(c) The Army.
(d) The Navy.
2. What does Sallie Rowen serve for dinner in Play Six?
(a) Fried chicken.
(b) Ham and red-eyed gravy.
(c) Pinto beans and turnip greens.
(d) Biscuits and gravy.
3. At the end of Play Eight, what does Joshua want to tell the press about the explosion?
(a) That it is a bomb.
(b) The truth, that the company ignores safety concerns.
(c) That it is an accident.
(d) That it is an earthquake.
4. At the end of Play Seven, what happens to Abe at the Treaty Oak?
(a) The mining company thugs shoot him.
(b) He falls and breaks his arm.
(c) He meets a woman.
(d) He gets bit by a snake.
5. How does Tommy excuse his role in what happens at the Treaty Oak?
(a) He says it is an accident.
(b) He says he does it to protect his family from the Army.
(c) He says he doesn't believe in the union.
(d) He says Andrew and the mining company threaten him.
6. How many stories does J.T. tell over dinner in Play Six?
7. What does Tommy do when he sees what Joshua is reading aloud in Play Seven?
(a) Asks the boy to read the pamphlet to him.
(b) Rips the pamphlet out of Joshua's hand.
(c) Reads the pamphlet for himself.
(d) Punches Abe in the face.
8. Who attacks J.T. in Play Six upon seeing him kiss Mary Anne?
(a) Jed Rowen.
(c) Sallie Rowen.
(d) Mary Anne's brother.
9. In Play Eight, what issue does Scotty tell Joshua the miners are upset about in the new contract with the mining company?
(a) The health benefits.
(b) The pension.
(c) The work hours.
(d) The wages.
10. What happens to most of Mary Anne's children?
(a) They all work the mines.
(b) They are in college.
(c) They die of fevers.
(d) They are sent to live with relatives.
11. How old do you have to be to work in the mines?
12. What is Abe mending in Scene Five of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) His jacket.
(b) Joshua's quilt.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His pants.
13. Who arrives drunk at the Union Hall at the end of Play Eight?
(d) Franklin Biggs.
14. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
(b) Bicarbonate of soda.
(c) Ice water.
15. At the end of Play Eight, who does everyone turn to look at when James Talbert reads the names of the missing miners and announces Scotty's?
(b) James Talbert.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play Eight, when Stucky arrives at the Union Hall with a man wounded in the explosion, what word does the wounded miner scrawl on a piece of paper to explain the reason for the explosion?
2. Why does Margaret Rowen mention drinking so much?
3. In Play Seven, what advice does Tommy give Joshua about his coat on Joshua's first day at the mines?
4. Why does Mary Anne give Abe the Rowen family watch in Play Seven?
5. What tragedy happens while Tommy and Joshua are at the mine in Play Seven?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)