|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
(a) Bicarbonate of soda.
(b) Ice water.
2. What does Tommy want from the preacher in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) A baptismal service for Abe.
(b) Prayers for Joshua's recovery from the fever.
(c) A prayer for his eternal salvation.
(d) A birth certificate to allow Joshua to work in the mines.
3. What does Sallie Rowen serve for dinner in Play Six?
(a) Pinto beans and turnip greens.
(b) Biscuits and gravy.
(c) Ham and red-eyed gravy.
(d) Fried chicken.
4. When Sureta Biggs suggests in Play Seven that someone sells out the miners, who does Tommy blame?
(c) Mary Anne.
5. How many children does Mary Anne have in Play Seven?
6. Who buys the winner of the boxing match in Play Seven a beer to celebrate the victory?
(d) Cassius Biggs.
7. When Mary Anne argues with Tommy over what he wants the preacher to do in Play Seven, how does Tommy respond?
(a) He agrees with Mary Anne.
(b) He hits Mary Anne hard enough to knock her down.
(c) He leaves Mary Anne.
(d) He threatens Mary Anne with his rifle.
8. Which of the following is not a point that Joshua raises with James Talbert when discussing the union contract with the mining company in Play Eight?
(a) The union backing off of safety concerns.
(b) The wages paid to miners.
(c) The number of layoffs, the majority of which are blacks.
(d) The opening of a hospital for miners that accepts blacks.
9. Why does Mary Anne give Abe the Rowen family watch in Play Seven?
(a) To purchase more medicine for Joshua.
(b) To buy guns to fight the mining company.
(c) As a token of her esteem.
(d) He is her long lost brother.
10. What does Mary Anne do at the end of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) Leaves Howsen County.
(b) Abandons Tommy and becomes a union organizer.
(c) Gives up on the union.
(d) Becomes a coal miner.
11. What happens in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, when Tommy sets a fuse while working with Cassius Biggs and Mackie?
(a) Tommy sabotages the mine.
(b) Tommy dies in a mine explosion.
(c) Tommy gets injured in the resulting fire.
(d) The mine collapses, trapping Mackie.
12. What does Tommy offer Andrew in Play Seven to obtain what he wants?
(b) Moonshine whiskey.
(c) The names of the union organizers.
(d) A bribe.
13. What does Mary Anne offer to do when J.T. is ready to leave the Rowen home?
(a) Introduce J.T. to the neighbors.
(b) Guide J.T. back to the road.
(c) Loan him a horse.
(d) Pack J.T. some leftovers to take with him.
14. Who responds when Cassius whistles at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(b) The gun sellers he is expecting.
(d) Thugs who work for the mine.
15. What is Abe mending in Scene Five of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) His shirt.
(b) Joshua's quilt.
(c) His pants.
(d) His jacket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Abe and Cassius supposed to do at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
2. Who unexpectedly witnesses the events at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
3. In Play Seven, what advice does Tommy give Joshua about his coat on Joshua's first day at the mines?
4. Why does Margaret Rowen mention drinking so much?
5. At the end of Play Seven, what happens to Cassius?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)