|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings Abe Steinman to Mary Anne's door?
(a) He is a traveling salesman.
(b) He is ill and needs a doctor.
(c) He is a preacher.
(d) He needs a place to stay while looking for work at the mine.
2. Why does Joshua think the water tastes funny in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) It has sugar in it.
(b) He is still ill with a fever.
(c) His mother is boiling it to keep him free of fever.
(d) It has medicine in it.
3. When Mary Anne argues with Tommy over what he wants the preacher to do in Play Seven, how does Tommy respond?
(a) He leaves Mary Anne.
(b) He agrees with Mary Anne.
(c) He hits Mary Anne hard enough to knock her down.
(d) He threatens Mary Anne with his rifle.
4. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy in Play Seven?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are neighbors.
(d) They are friends.
5. How many children does Mary Anne have in Play Seven?
6. How old is Joshua in Play Seven?
7. In Play Eight why does Joshua tell Scotty he can't tell the miners everything that is going on with the mining company?
(a) It might cost him his life.
(b) He is working under cover for the FBI.
(c) Only people who need to know can know.
(d) He doesn't know what's gong on.
8. In Scene Two of Play Six, Tall Tales, who joins the Rowen family for dinner?
(c) J.T. and Tommy.
(d) Richard Talbert.
9. How does Tommy excuse his role in what happens at the Treaty Oak?
(a) He says he does it to protect his family from the Army.
(b) He says he doesn't believe in the union.
(c) He says Andrew and the mining company threaten him.
(d) He says it is an accident.
10. After the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven, what does Tommy tell Andrew he wants?
(b) A promotion.
(c) To leave Howsen County.
(d) His job back and his family to be safe.
11. When the union presidents meet with Joshua in Play Eight, what does Calvin say he is complaining about for months at the Blue Star mine?
(a) Dust, which is a safety issue.
(b) Poor wages.
(c) Not enough miners working each shift.
12. How does Abe respond when Mary Anne and Tommy argue in Play Seven?
(a) He hits Tommy for hitting Mary Anne.
(b) He tells Mary Anne to be patient and not give up hope.
(c) He agrees with Tommy.
(d) He offers to run away with Mary Anne.
13. At the beginning of Play Eight, from what branch of the military is Scotty discharged?
(a) The Army.
(b) The Coast Guard.
(c) The Navy.
(d) The Marines.
14. How much does the preacher want for his services?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
15. What does Cassius Biggs do to make money in Play Seven?
(a) He is a miner.
(b) He is a politician.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a gun dealer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
2. How much money does Tommy have to pay the fee for which the preacher asks?
3. Who beats another miner in an informal boxing match in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
4. At the end of Play Eight, what does Joshua want to tell the press about the explosion?
5. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)