|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene two of Play Eight, what does Joshua give Scotty to welcome him to his new job as union field representative?
(a) A new car.
(b) A check for five hundred dollars.
(c) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
(d) A party.
2. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy in Play Seven?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are neighbors.
(d) They are cousins.
3. What happens to most of Mary Anne's children?
(a) They all work the mines.
(b) They are in college.
(c) They are sent to live with relatives.
(d) They die of fevers.
4. In Scene Two of Play Six, Tall Tales, who joins the Rowen family for dinner?
(c) Richard Talbert.
(d) J.T. and Tommy.
5. What does Mary Anne do when J.T. is attacked in Play Six?
(a) Runs away and hides.
(b) Runs for help.
(c) Helps his attacker.
(d) Helps him fend off his attacker.
6. In Play Eight, what do the local union presidents want to discuss with Joshua about the contract with the mining company?
(a) The wages.
(b) The pensions.
(c) The layoffs and safety.
(d) The work hours.
7. What does Mary Anne offer the doctor in lieu of cash?
(a) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
(b) Her homemade preserves.
(c) Rowen land.
(d) Chickens and eggs.
8. What is Abe mending in Scene Five of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) His pants.
(b) Joshua's quilt.
(c) His jacket.
(d) His shirt.
9. Why does Margaret Rowen mention drinking so much?
(a) She likes to drink socially.
(b) It is the holiday season and she is having a party.
(c) She is an alcoholic.
(d) She owns the local bar.
10. In Scene Two of Play Eight, who does Joshua call "the Mother Jones of Howsen County"?
(a) Sureta Biggs.
(b) James Talbert's wife.
(c) His mother, Mary Anne.
11. During dinner in Play Six, what does Mary Anne say makes her father a hero?
(a) He rides with Robert E. Lee.
(b) He fights for the Union.
(c) He fights for the Confederacy.
(d) He fights with Quantrill and saves Quantrill's life.
12. When a huge explosion occurs at the mine in Play Eight, what does James Talbert initially think causes it?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A bomb.
(c) A mining accident.
(d) The safety problems at the mine.
13. How many children does Mary Anne have in Play Seven?
14. What are Abe and Cassius supposed to do at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(a) Steal a car.
(b) Sell moonshine.
(c) Buy guns.
(d) Hold a pro-union rally.
15. In what year is Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, set?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Joshua want to pull men out of the Blue Star mine in Play Eight?
2. What is the cause of the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
3. Who promises Scotty to personally take care of the safety concerns at the mines in Play Eight?
4. To Joshua's shock in Play Eight, whose name is on the list of men who are in the mind when the explosion occurs?
5. In Play Eight why does Joshua tell Scotty he can't tell the miners everything that is going on with the mining company?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)