|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Andrew say it's too late to give Tommy what he wants?
(a) Andrew is leaving Howsen County.
(b) Someone else already has the promotion.
(c) The mining company intends to fire Tommy.
(d) Andrew calls in the Army.
2. What brings Abe Steinman to Mary Anne's door?
(a) He is a traveling salesman.
(b) He is ill and needs a doctor.
(c) He needs a place to stay while looking for work at the mine.
(d) He is a preacher.
3. At the end of Play Eight, what does James Talbert want to tell the press about the explosion?
(a) It is a bomb.
(b) It is an earthquake.
(c) It is an accident.
(d) The union doesn't pull its miners out despite safety concerns.
4. Who attacks J.T. in Play Six upon seeing him kiss Mary Anne?
(a) Jed Rowen.
(b) Sallie Rowen.
(c) Mary Anne's brother.
5. Who responds when Cassius whistles at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(c) The gun sellers he is expecting.
(d) Thugs who work for the mine.
6. To Joshua's shock in Play Eight, whose name is on the list of men who are in the mind when the explosion occurs?
7. At the beginning of Play Eight, from what branch of the military is Scotty discharged?
(a) The Marines.
(b) The Coast Guard.
(c) The Army.
(d) The Navy.
8. What do the other miners tease Tommy and Joshua about when Joshua arrives at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) Their clumsiness at mining.
(b) Joshua's blonde hair.
(c) Their stuttering.
(d) Joshua's shortness.
9. Who leaves the union meeting in Play Eight to pull the miners out of the unsafe mine?
(a) James Talbert.
(d) Franklin Biggs.
10. What does Tommy want from the preacher in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) A baptismal service for Abe.
(b) A birth certificate to allow Joshua to work in the mines.
(c) Prayers for Joshua's recovery from the fever.
(d) A prayer for his eternal salvation.
11. Which of the following statements is not a reason J.T. wants Mary Anne to ask her father to rip up the contract for the mineral rights to the Rowen farm at the end of Play Six?
(a) Everything he says about the mineral rights is a lie.
(b) He is afraid of Tommy.
(c) The mining company destroys the land.
(d) The rights are worth a lot more than J.T. pays for them.
12. How many stories does J.T. tell over dinner in Play Six?
13. At the end of Play Eight, what does Joshua want to tell the press about the explosion?
(a) That it is an accident.
(b) That it is a bomb.
(c) That it is an earthquake.
(d) The truth, that the company ignores safety concerns.
14. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
(a) A miner.
(b) Joshua's wife and Scotty's mother.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A mining company executive.
15. After the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven, what does Tommy tell Andrew he wants?
(b) His job back and his family to be safe.
(c) A promotion.
(d) To leave Howsen County.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Joshua at the beginning of Play Seven?
2. Why does Joshua think the water tastes funny in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
3. Who buys the winner of the boxing match in Play Seven a beer to celebrate the victory?
4. What does Tommy do when he sees what Joshua is reading aloud in Play Seven?
5. At the end of Play Eight, who does everyone turn to look at when James Talbert reads the names of the missing miners and announces Scotty's?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)