|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leaves the union meeting in Play Eight to pull the miners out of the unsafe mine?
(a) Franklin Biggs.
(b) James Talbert.
2. What is the cause of the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) The miners hit a gas pocket in the mine.
(b) The company doesn't cut support beams strong enough.
(c) Union organizers sabotage the mine with a bomb.
(d) A miner started a fire in the mine.
3. When Sureta Biggs suggests in Play Seven that someone sells out the miners, who does Tommy blame?
(d) Mary Anne.
4. Why doesn't Joshua want to pull men out of the Blue Star mine in Play Eight?
(a) It is a wildcat strike which violates the union contract.
(b) He doesn't think the issue poses an imediate danger.
(c) He doesn't think there is a safety issue.
(d) He is paid a bribe not to pull them out.
5. When Mary Anne argues with Tommy over what he wants the preacher to do in Play Seven, how does Tommy respond?
(a) He threatens Mary Anne with his rifle.
(b) He hits Mary Anne hard enough to knock her down.
(c) He leaves Mary Anne.
(d) He agrees with Mary Anne.
6. What is wrong with Joshua at the beginning of Play Seven?
(a) He has cancer.
(b) He is delirious with the same fever that kills his brothers.
(c) He has a broken ankle.
(d) He is deaf.
7. What does Mary Anne offer to do when J.T. is ready to leave the Rowen home?
(a) Loan him a horse.
(b) Pack J.T. some leftovers to take with him.
(c) Introduce J.T. to the neighbors.
(d) Guide J.T. back to the road.
8. Why does Mary Anne give Abe the Rowen family watch in Play Seven?
(a) To buy guns to fight the mining company.
(b) He is her long lost brother.
(c) To purchase more medicine for Joshua.
(d) As a token of her esteem.
9. What tragedy happens while Tommy and Joshua are at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) A train wreck.
(b) An auto crash.
(c) A child drowns.
(d) A coal bump or collapse of the mine.
10. Who buys the winner of the boxing match in Play Seven a beer to celebrate the victory?
(b) Cassius Biggs.
11. In Scene two of Play Eight, what does Joshua give Scotty to welcome him to his new job as union field representative?
(a) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
(b) A check for five hundred dollars.
(c) A party.
(d) A new car.
12. During dinner in Play Six, what does Mary Anne say makes her father a hero?
(a) He fights for the Union.
(b) He rides with Robert E. Lee.
(c) He fights with Quantrill and saves Quantrill's life.
(d) He fights for the Confederacy.
13. How much money does Tommy have to pay the fee for which the preacher asks?
(a) One dollar.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) Ten dollars.
14. How much does the preacher want for his services?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
15. How many children does Mary Anne have in Play Seven?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play Seven, what advice does Tommy give Joshua about his coat on Joshua's first day at the mines?
2. Who promises Scotty to personally take care of the safety concerns at the mines in Play Eight?
3. When it's clear in Play Eight that miners are pulled out of the Blue Star mine, what does Joshua urge James Talbert to do?
4. In Play Eight, what issue does Scotty tell Joshua the miners are upset about in the new contract with the mining company?
5. Who unexpectedly witnesses the events at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)