|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year is Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, set?
2. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
(a) Ice water.
(c) Bicarbonate of soda.
3. Who buys the winner of the boxing match in Play Seven a beer to celebrate the victory?
(a) Cassius Biggs.
4. In what year does Play Eight, Which Side Are You On, occur?
5. How does Tommy excuse his role in what happens at the Treaty Oak?
(a) He says he does it to protect his family from the Army.
(b) He says it is an accident.
(c) He says Andrew and the mining company threaten him.
(d) He says he doesn't believe in the union.
6. How old is Joshua in Play Seven?
7. Which of the following statements is not a reason J.T. wants Mary Anne to ask her father to rip up the contract for the mineral rights to the Rowen farm at the end of Play Six?
(a) Everything he says about the mineral rights is a lie.
(b) He is afraid of Tommy.
(c) The mining company destroys the land.
(d) The rights are worth a lot more than J.T. pays for them.
8. What is Joshua's relationship with Lana in Play Eight?
(a) She's his secretary and he's having an affair with her.
(b) She's a neighbor.
(c) She's his cousin.
(d) She's a miner's wife.
9. How much does the preacher want for his services?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
10. What do the other miners tease Tommy and Joshua about when Joshua arrives at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) Joshua's shortness.
(b) Their clumsiness at mining.
(c) Joshua's blonde hair.
(d) Their stuttering.
11. In Play Seven, what advice does Tommy give Joshua about his coat on Joshua's first day at the mines?
(a) Keep it near him while working in the mine.
(b) Take it off while working and put it on when sitting.
(c) Don't let anyone steal it.
(d) Keep it clean while in the mine.
12. Which of the following is not a point that Joshua raises with James Talbert when discussing the union contract with the mining company in Play Eight?
(a) The union backing off of safety concerns.
(b) The wages paid to miners.
(c) The number of layoffs, the majority of which are blacks.
(d) The opening of a hospital for miners that accepts blacks.
13. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
(a) In France.
(b) In Canada.
(c) In Mexico.
(d) In Spain.
14. What are Abe and Cassius supposed to do at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(a) Hold a pro-union rally.
(b) Buy guns.
(c) Steal a car.
(d) Sell moonshine.
15. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy in Play Seven?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are neighbors.
(d) They are friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sureta Biggs suggests in Play Seven that someone sells out the miners, who does Tommy blame?
2. Why does Andrew say it's too late to give Tommy what he wants?
3. What brings Abe Steinman to Mary Anne's door?
4. Who unexpectedly witnesses the events at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
5. What happens when J.T. tells a story about two feuding families and a man named Jack killing his rival, Thomas?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)