|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abe offer as an advance on his rent?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) Payment of the doctor's fee for Joshua.
(c) A horse.
(d) Medicine for Joshua.
2. When it's clear in Play Eight that miners are pulled out of the Blue Star mine, what does Joshua urge James Talbert to do?
(a) Shut the mine down temporarily and clean it out.
(b) Permanently close the mine.
(c) Expand the mine.
(d) Fire the old miners and hire new ones.
3. In Play Eight, what issue does Scotty tell Joshua the miners are upset about in the new contract with the mining company?
(a) The pension.
(b) The health benefits.
(c) The wages.
(d) The work hours.
4. What does Sallie Rowen serve for dinner in Play Six?
(a) Pinto beans and turnip greens.
(b) Ham and red-eyed gravy.
(c) Fried chicken.
(d) Biscuits and gravy.
5. Who responds when Cassius whistles at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(b) Thugs who work for the mine.
(c) The gun sellers he is expecting.
6. Who beats another miner in an informal boxing match in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
7. What proof does Joshua offer in Play Seven that Tommy is the one who has betrayed the miners?
(a) Testimony of other miners.
(b) The gun in Tommy's arms.
(c) The Rowen gold pocket watch in Tommy's pocket.
(d) The blood on Tommy's hands.
8. What does Mary Anne offer to do when J.T. is ready to leave the Rowen home?
(a) Introduce J.T. to the neighbors.
(b) Guide J.T. back to the road.
(c) Pack J.T. some leftovers to take with him.
(d) Loan him a horse.
9. When a huge explosion occurs at the mine in Play Eight, what does James Talbert initially think causes it?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) The safety problems at the mine.
(c) A bomb.
(d) A mining accident.
10. Why does Joshua think the water tastes funny in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) It has medicine in it.
(b) He is still ill with a fever.
(c) It has sugar in it.
(d) His mother is boiling it to keep him free of fever.
11. At the end of Play Eight, who does everyone turn to look at when James Talbert reads the names of the missing miners and announces Scotty's?
(a) James Talbert.
12. What tragedy happens while Tommy and Joshua are at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) A train wreck.
(b) An auto crash.
(c) A child drowns.
(d) A coal bump or collapse of the mine.
13. How much does the preacher want for his services?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
14. In what year is Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, set?
15. What does Abe urge Tommy to do after the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) Get some guns and fight the mining company.
(b) Work more hours in the mine.
(c) Leave Howsen County.
(d) Leave Mary Anne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the Rowens rip up the contract for the mineral rights?
2. What happens when J.T. tells a story about two feuding families and a man named Jack killing his rival, Thomas?
3. In Play Eight why does Joshua tell Scotty he can't tell the miners everything that is going on with the mining company?
4. Why does Mary Anne give Abe the Rowen family watch in Play Seven?
5. How much money does Tommy have to pay the fee for which the preacher asks?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)