|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tommy excuse his role in what happens at the Treaty Oak?
(a) He says he doesn't believe in the union.
(b) He says he does it to protect his family from the Army.
(c) He says Andrew and the mining company threaten him.
(d) He says it is an accident.
2. What does Abe offer as an advance on his rent?
(a) A diamond necklace.
(b) A horse.
(c) Medicine for Joshua.
(d) Payment of the doctor's fee for Joshua.
3. When Sureta Biggs suggests in Play Seven that someone sells out the miners, who does Tommy blame?
(a) Mary Anne.
4. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
(a) A reporter.
(b) Joshua's wife and Scotty's mother.
(c) A miner.
(d) A mining company executive.
5. How old is Joshua in Play Seven?
6. How old do you have to be to work in the mines?
7. When a huge explosion occurs at the mine in Play Eight, what does James Talbert initially think causes it?
(a) A mining accident.
(b) A bomb.
(c) The safety problems at the mine.
(d) An earthquake.
8. What is wrong with Joshua at the beginning of Play Seven?
(a) He has a broken ankle.
(b) He has cancer.
(c) He is delirious with the same fever that kills his brothers.
(d) He is deaf.
9. What does Abe say helps Joshua?
(a) An elixir made from mountain laurel.
(b) Boiling the family drinking water, which causes the fever.
(c) A certain herb.
(d) Keeping him warm.
10. In Play Eight, what issue does Scotty tell Joshua the miners are upset about in the new contract with the mining company?
(a) The health benefits.
(b) The pension.
(c) The wages.
(d) The work hours.
11. In Play Seven, what document allows Joshua to work in the mines?
(a) The fake birth certificate the preacher makes for him.
(b) His great height and strength.
(c) His age.
(d) His father's position as a miner.
12. What does Mary Anne do at the end of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) Becomes a coal miner.
(b) Abandons Tommy and becomes a union organizer.
(c) Gives up on the union.
(d) Leaves Howsen County.
13. What does Tommy do when he sees what Joshua is reading aloud in Play Seven?
(a) Reads the pamphlet for himself.
(b) Punches Abe in the face.
(c) Rips the pamphlet out of Joshua's hand.
(d) Asks the boy to read the pamphlet to him.
14. Who arrives drunk at the Union Hall at the end of Play Eight?
(a) Franklin Biggs.
15. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
(a) Ice water.
(b) Bicarbonate of soda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joshua's relationship with Lana in Play Eight?
2. In what year does Play Eight, Which Side Are You On, occur?
3. Why does Margaret Rowen mention drinking so much?
4. In Play Seven, what advice does Tommy give Joshua about his coat on Joshua's first day at the mines?
5. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)