|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary Anne offer the doctor in lieu of cash?
(a) Her homemade preserves.
(b) Chickens and eggs.
(c) Rowen land.
(d) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
2. What does Abe say helps Joshua?
(a) Keeping him warm.
(b) A certain herb.
(c) An elixir made from mountain laurel.
(d) Boiling the family drinking water, which causes the fever.
3. What does Tommy want from the preacher in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) A birth certificate to allow Joshua to work in the mines.
(b) A prayer for his eternal salvation.
(c) A baptismal service for Abe.
(d) Prayers for Joshua's recovery from the fever.
4. Who responds when Cassius whistles at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(b) Thugs who work for the mine.
(c) The gun sellers he is expecting.
5. Who leaves the union meeting in Play Eight to pull the miners out of the unsafe mine?
(b) Franklin Biggs.
(d) James Talbert.
6. Who attacks J.T. in Play Six upon seeing him kiss Mary Anne?
(a) Mary Anne's brother.
(c) Jed Rowen.
(d) Sallie Rowen.
7. Who arrives drunk at the Union Hall at the end of Play Eight?
(a) Franklin Biggs.
8. What does Cassius Biggs do to make money in Play Seven?
(a) He is a gun dealer.
(b) He is a politician.
(c) He is a miner.
(d) He is a farmer.
9. In Scene Two of Play Eight, who does Joshua call "the Mother Jones of Howsen County"?
(a) His mother, Mary Anne.
(c) James Talbert's wife.
(d) Sureta Biggs.
10. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
(a) In France.
(b) In Mexico.
(c) In Canada.
(d) In Spain.
11. What does Abe ask Joshua to read aloud in Play Seven?
(a) One of Mother Jones' pamphlets.
(b) A schoolbook.
(c) A magazine.
(d) The Bible.
12. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
(a) Out of work miners.
(b) His family.
(c) Howsen County voters.
(d) Franklin Biggs and James Talbert.
13. In Play Eight, what do the local union presidents want to discuss with Joshua about the contract with the mining company?
(a) The work hours.
(b) The pensions.
(c) The wages.
(d) The layoffs and safety.
14. At the end of Play Eight, what does Joshua want to tell the press about the explosion?
(a) The truth, that the company ignores safety concerns.
(b) That it is an accident.
(c) That it is a bomb.
(d) That it is an earthquake.
15. In Scene two of Play Eight, what does Joshua give Scotty to welcome him to his new job as union field representative?
(a) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
(b) A new car.
(c) A check for five hundred dollars.
(d) A party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Joshua in Play Seven?
2. What does Tommy offer Andrew in Play Seven to obtain what he wants?
3. What tragedy happens while Tommy and Joshua are at the mine in Play Seven?
4. When Mary Anne argues with Tommy over what he wants the preacher to do in Play Seven, how does Tommy respond?
5. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)