|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cause of the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) The miners hit a gas pocket in the mine.
(b) The company doesn't cut support beams strong enough.
(c) A miner started a fire in the mine.
(d) Union organizers sabotage the mine with a bomb.
2. Who beats another miner in an informal boxing match in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
3. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
(a) Bicarbonate of soda.
(c) Ice water.
4. What happens to most of Mary Anne's children?
(a) They are in college.
(b) They are sent to live with relatives.
(c) They die of fevers.
(d) They all work the mines.
5. What is Joshua's relationship with Lana in Play Eight?
(a) She's his cousin.
(b) She's a neighbor.
(c) She's a miner's wife.
(d) She's his secretary and he's having an affair with her.
6. At the end of Play Seven, what happens to Cassius?
(a) He escapes.
(b) He is arrested.
(c) He gets shot by mining company thugs.
(d) He gets bit by a snake.
7. At the end of Play Eight, what does Joshua want to tell the press about the explosion?
(a) That it is an earthquake.
(b) The truth, that the company ignores safety concerns.
(c) That it is a bomb.
(d) That it is an accident.
8. How many stories does J.T. tell over dinner in Play Six?
9. When a huge explosion occurs at the mine in Play Eight, what does James Talbert initially think causes it?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A mining accident.
(c) The safety problems at the mine.
(d) A bomb.
10. In Play Eight, what do the local union presidents want to discuss with Joshua about the contract with the mining company?
(a) The work hours.
(b) The wages.
(c) The layoffs and safety.
(d) The pensions.
11. In Play Eight, when Stucky arrives at the Union Hall with a man wounded in the explosion, what word does the wounded miner scrawl on a piece of paper to explain the reason for the explosion?
12. Why does Mary Anne give Abe the Rowen family watch in Play Seven?
(a) To purchase more medicine for Joshua.
(b) To buy guns to fight the mining company.
(c) He is her long lost brother.
(d) As a token of her esteem.
13. Who attacks J.T. in Play Six upon seeing him kiss Mary Anne?
(a) Jed Rowen.
(b) Sallie Rowen.
(d) Mary Anne's brother.
14. What does Abe offer as an advance on his rent?
(a) Payment of the doctor's fee for Joshua.
(b) A horse.
(c) A diamond necklace.
(d) Medicine for Joshua.
15. What does Mary Anne offer the doctor in lieu of cash?
(a) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
(b) Rowen land.
(c) Chickens and eggs.
(d) Her homemade preserves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy do when he sees what Joshua is reading aloud in Play Seven?
2. What do the other miners tease Tommy and Joshua about when Joshua arrives at the mine in Play Seven?
3. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
4. In Play Eight why does Joshua tell Scotty he can't tell the miners everything that is going on with the mining company?
5. What is Abe mending in Scene Five of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)