|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Abe and Cassius supposed to do at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(a) Hold a pro-union rally.
(b) Sell moonshine.
(c) Buy guns.
(d) Steal a car.
2. What do the other miners tease Tommy and Joshua about when Joshua arrives at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) Their clumsiness at mining.
(b) Joshua's blonde hair.
(c) Joshua's shortness.
(d) Their stuttering.
3. Why does Margaret Rowen mention drinking so much?
(a) She likes to drink socially.
(b) She is an alcoholic.
(c) It is the holiday season and she is having a party.
(d) She owns the local bar.
4. What does Tommy offer Andrew in Play Seven to obtain what he wants?
(a) A bribe.
(b) Moonshine whiskey.
(d) The names of the union organizers.
5. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
(a) A miner.
(b) A reporter.
(c) Joshua's wife and Scotty's mother.
(d) A mining company executive.
6. What does Mary Anne offer to do when J.T. is ready to leave the Rowen home?
(a) Pack J.T. some leftovers to take with him.
(b) Introduce J.T. to the neighbors.
(c) Loan him a horse.
(d) Guide J.T. back to the road.
7. In Play Eight, when Stucky arrives at the Union Hall with a man wounded in the explosion, what word does the wounded miner scrawl on a piece of paper to explain the reason for the explosion?
8. What does Sallie Rowen serve for dinner in Play Six?
(a) Pinto beans and turnip greens.
(b) Fried chicken.
(c) Ham and red-eyed gravy.
(d) Biscuits and gravy.
9. What does Abe ask Joshua to read aloud in Play Seven?
(a) A magazine.
(b) One of Mother Jones' pamphlets.
(c) The Bible.
(d) A schoolbook.
10. How many stories does J.T. tell over dinner in Play Six?
11. In what year does Play Eight, Which Side Are You On, occur?
12. To Joshua's shock in Play Eight, whose name is on the list of men who are in the mind when the explosion occurs?
13. Why doesn't Joshua want to pull men out of the Blue Star mine in Play Eight?
(a) He doesn't think there is a safety issue.
(b) He doesn't think the issue poses an imediate danger.
(c) He is paid a bribe not to pull them out.
(d) It is a wildcat strike which violates the union contract.
14. What does Abe offer as an advance on his rent?
(a) Medicine for Joshua.
(b) Payment of the doctor's fee for Joshua.
(c) A diamond necklace.
(d) A horse.
15. Who attacks J.T. in Play Six upon seeing him kiss Mary Anne?
(b) Jed Rowen.
(c) Mary Anne's brother.
(d) Sallie Rowen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves the union meeting in Play Eight to pull the miners out of the unsafe mine?
2. What is wrong with Joshua at the beginning of Play Seven?
3. When Mary Anne argues with Tommy over what he wants the preacher to do in Play Seven, how does Tommy respond?
4. What does Cassius Biggs do to make money in Play Seven?
5. At the end of Play Eight, what does Joshua want to tell the press about the explosion?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)