|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abe ask Joshua to read aloud in Play Seven?
(a) A schoolbook.
(b) One of Mother Jones' pamphlets.
(c) The Bible.
(d) A magazine.
2. How old is Joshua in Play Seven?
3. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
(a) Franklin Biggs and James Talbert.
(b) His family.
(c) Howsen County voters.
(d) Out of work miners.
4. What does Mary Anne do when J.T. is attacked in Play Six?
(a) Runs away and hides.
(b) Helps his attacker.
(c) Helps him fend off his attacker.
(d) Runs for help.
5. Who promises Scotty to personally take care of the safety concerns at the mines in Play Eight?
(a) James Talbert.
(b) Franklin Biggs.
6. Why doesn't Joshua want to pull men out of the Blue Star mine in Play Eight?
(a) He doesn't think there is a safety issue.
(b) It is a wildcat strike which violates the union contract.
(c) He doesn't think the issue poses an imediate danger.
(d) He is paid a bribe not to pull them out.
7. Who arrives drunk at the Union Hall at the end of Play Eight?
(c) Franklin Biggs.
8. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
(a) In Canada.
(b) In France.
(c) In Mexico.
(d) In Spain.
9. Why does Mary Anne give Abe the Rowen family watch in Play Seven?
(a) As a token of her esteem.
(b) He is her long lost brother.
(c) To buy guns to fight the mining company.
(d) To purchase more medicine for Joshua.
10. Who leaves the union meeting in Play Eight to pull the miners out of the unsafe mine?
(c) Franklin Biggs.
(d) James Talbert.
11. In Play Seven, what advice does Tommy give Joshua about his coat on Joshua's first day at the mines?
(a) Keep it near him while working in the mine.
(b) Keep it clean while in the mine.
(c) Don't let anyone steal it.
(d) Take it off while working and put it on when sitting.
12. At the end of Play Seven, what happens to Abe at the Treaty Oak?
(a) He meets a woman.
(b) He gets bit by a snake.
(c) He falls and breaks his arm.
(d) The mining company thugs shoot him.
13. What does Cassius Biggs do to make money in Play Seven?
(a) He is a gun dealer.
(b) He is a politician.
(c) He is a farmer.
(d) He is a miner.
14. What proof does Joshua offer in Play Seven that Tommy is the one who has betrayed the miners?
(a) The Rowen gold pocket watch in Tommy's pocket.
(b) The gun in Tommy's arms.
(c) Testimony of other miners.
(d) The blood on Tommy's hands.
15. Who unexpectedly witnesses the events at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(a) Mary Anne.
(d) The sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the union presidents meet with Joshua in Play Eight, what does Calvin say he is complaining about for months at the Blue Star mine?
2. When it's clear in Play Eight that miners are pulled out of the Blue Star mine, what does Joshua urge James Talbert to do?
3. Who responds when Cassius whistles at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
4. What does Sallie Rowen serve for dinner in Play Six?
5. In Play Eight, what do the local union presidents want to discuss with Joshua about the contract with the mining company?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)