|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
(a) Howsen County voters.
(b) Out of work miners.
(c) Franklin Biggs and James Talbert.
(d) His family.
2. When Mary Anne argues with Tommy over what he wants the preacher to do in Play Seven, how does Tommy respond?
(a) He leaves Mary Anne.
(b) He hits Mary Anne hard enough to knock her down.
(c) He agrees with Mary Anne.
(d) He threatens Mary Anne with his rifle.
3. Who promises Scotty to personally take care of the safety concerns at the mines in Play Eight?
(a) James Talbert.
(d) Franklin Biggs.
4. How does Abe respond when Mary Anne and Tommy argue in Play Seven?
(a) He agrees with Tommy.
(b) He tells Mary Anne to be patient and not give up hope.
(c) He offers to run away with Mary Anne.
(d) He hits Tommy for hitting Mary Anne.
5. In Play Eight, what do the local union presidents want to discuss with Joshua about the contract with the mining company?
(a) The layoffs and safety.
(b) The wages.
(c) The work hours.
(d) The pensions.
6. What is Abe's real reason for coming to Howsen County?
(a) He wants to find a bride.
(b) He is a union organizer.
(c) He wants to preach.
(d) He wants to buy land.
7. Who identifies what's wrong with Joshua?
(a) Mary Anne.
(d) The doctor.
8. What does Mary Anne offer the doctor in lieu of cash?
(a) Rowen land.
(b) Her homemade preserves.
(c) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
(d) Chickens and eggs.
9. At the end of Play Eight, who does everyone turn to look at when James Talbert reads the names of the missing miners and announces Scotty's?
(d) James Talbert.
10. What does Abe say helps Joshua?
(a) A certain herb.
(b) Keeping him warm.
(c) Boiling the family drinking water, which causes the fever.
(d) An elixir made from mountain laurel.
11. What are Abe and Cassius supposed to do at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(a) Hold a pro-union rally.
(b) Steal a car.
(c) Sell moonshine.
(d) Buy guns.
12. At the end of Play Seven, what happens to Abe at the Treaty Oak?
(a) The mining company thugs shoot him.
(b) He falls and breaks his arm.
(c) He gets bit by a snake.
(d) He meets a woman.
13. At the end of Play Seven, what happens to Cassius?
(a) He gets bit by a snake.
(b) He gets shot by mining company thugs.
(c) He escapes.
(d) He is arrested.
14. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into doing in Play Six?
(a) Selling the mineral rights to the Rowen land.
(b) Going into business with him.
(c) Getting drunk.
(d) Buying more land.
15. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
(a) A miner.
(b) A mining company executive.
(c) Joshua's wife and Scotty's mother.
(d) A reporter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Joshua at the beginning of Play Seven?
2. Why does Joshua think the water tastes funny in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
3. When a huge explosion occurs at the mine in Play Eight, what does James Talbert initially think causes it?
4. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
5. Who beats another miner in an informal boxing match in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)