|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abe respond when Mary Anne and Tommy argue in Play Seven?
(a) He agrees with Tommy.
(b) He offers to run away with Mary Anne.
(c) He tells Mary Anne to be patient and not give up hope.
(d) He hits Tommy for hitting Mary Anne.
2. What does Abe urge Tommy to do after the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) Work more hours in the mine.
(b) Leave Howsen County.
(c) Get some guns and fight the mining company.
(d) Leave Mary Anne.
3. During dinner in Play Six, what does Mary Anne say makes her father a hero?
(a) He fights with Quantrill and saves Quantrill's life.
(b) He fights for the Confederacy.
(c) He rides with Robert E. Lee.
(d) He fights for the Union.
4. What is Abe's real reason for coming to Howsen County?
(a) He wants to buy land.
(b) He wants to preach.
(c) He wants to find a bride.
(d) He is a union organizer.
5. In Scene two of Play Eight, what does Joshua give Scotty to welcome him to his new job as union field representative?
(a) A new car.
(b) A check for five hundred dollars.
(c) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
(d) A party.
6. When the union presidents meet with Joshua in Play Eight, what does Calvin say he is complaining about for months at the Blue Star mine?
(b) Poor wages.
(c) Not enough miners working each shift.
(d) Dust, which is a safety issue.
7. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
(a) Howsen County voters.
(b) Franklin Biggs and James Talbert.
(c) Out of work miners.
(d) His family.
8. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
(b) Ice water.
(c) Bicarbonate of soda.
9. In Play Eight why does Joshua tell Scotty he can't tell the miners everything that is going on with the mining company?
(a) It might cost him his life.
(b) He doesn't know what's gong on.
(c) He is working under cover for the FBI.
(d) Only people who need to know can know.
10. Who is Mother Jones in Play Seven?
(a) A character in a fictional story.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A West Virginia union organizer Abe talks about.
(d) A woman in Howsen County who has lots of children.
11. In Play Seven, what advice does Tommy give Joshua about his coat on Joshua's first day at the mines?
(a) Don't let anyone steal it.
(b) Keep it near him while working in the mine.
(c) Keep it clean while in the mine.
(d) Take it off while working and put it on when sitting.
12. What are Abe and Cassius supposed to do at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(a) Steal a car.
(b) Hold a pro-union rally.
(c) Buy guns.
(d) Sell moonshine.
13. What is Joshua's relationship with Lana in Play Eight?
(a) She's a miner's wife.
(b) She's his secretary and he's having an affair with her.
(c) She's his cousin.
(d) She's a neighbor.
14. When Sureta Biggs suggests in Play Seven that someone sells out the miners, who does Tommy blame?
(d) Mary Anne.
15. How does Tommy excuse his role in what happens at the Treaty Oak?
(a) He says it is an accident.
(b) He says Andrew and the mining company threaten him.
(c) He says he doesn't believe in the union.
(d) He says he does it to protect his family from the Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play Seven, what document allows Joshua to work in the mines?
2. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy in Play Seven?
3. What does Tommy do when he sees what Joshua is reading aloud in Play Seven?
4. Why does Margaret Rowen mention drinking so much?
5. How old do you have to be to work in the mines?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)