|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cause of the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) Union organizers sabotage the mine with a bomb.
(b) A miner started a fire in the mine.
(c) The company doesn't cut support beams strong enough.
(d) The miners hit a gas pocket in the mine.
2. Which of the following is not a point that Joshua raises with James Talbert when discussing the union contract with the mining company in Play Eight?
(a) The wages paid to miners.
(b) The number of layoffs, the majority of which are blacks.
(c) The union backing off of safety concerns.
(d) The opening of a hospital for miners that accepts blacks.
3. What does Mary Anne offer to do when J.T. is ready to leave the Rowen home?
(a) Guide J.T. back to the road.
(b) Pack J.T. some leftovers to take with him.
(c) Introduce J.T. to the neighbors.
(d) Loan him a horse.
4. Who unexpectedly witnesses the events at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(b) The sheriff.
(c) Mary Anne.
5. What does Mary Anne do at the end of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) Becomes a coal miner.
(b) Abandons Tommy and becomes a union organizer.
(c) Gives up on the union.
(d) Leaves Howsen County.
6. Who beats another miner in an informal boxing match in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
7. At the end of Play Eight, what does Joshua want to tell the press about the explosion?
(a) The truth, that the company ignores safety concerns.
(b) That it is an earthquake.
(c) That it is an accident.
(d) That it is a bomb.
8. What brings Abe Steinman to Mary Anne's door?
(a) He is a preacher.
(b) He needs a place to stay while looking for work at the mine.
(c) He is ill and needs a doctor.
(d) He is a traveling salesman.
9. How much does the preacher want for his services?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Fifty dollars.
10. What does Tommy do when he sees what Joshua is reading aloud in Play Seven?
(a) Reads the pamphlet for himself.
(b) Rips the pamphlet out of Joshua's hand.
(c) Punches Abe in the face.
(d) Asks the boy to read the pamphlet to him.
11. In Play Eight, what issue does Scotty tell Joshua the miners are upset about in the new contract with the mining company?
(a) The health benefits.
(b) The wages.
(c) The work hours.
(d) The pension.
12. When Sureta Biggs suggests in Play Seven that someone sells out the miners, who does Tommy blame?
(b) Mary Anne.
13. What are Abe and Cassius supposed to do at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(a) Hold a pro-union rally.
(b) Sell moonshine.
(c) Steal a car.
(d) Buy guns.
14. How old do you have to be to work in the mines?
15. Why don't the Rowens rip up the contract for the mineral rights?
(a) A lawyer advises them not to destroy it.
(b) They don't want to believe J.T. tells the truth about lying.
(c) The contract is illegal.
(d) The contract is fake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tragedy happens while Tommy and Joshua are at the mine in Play Seven?
2. When a huge explosion occurs at the mine in Play Eight, what does James Talbert initially think causes it?
3. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
4. Who identifies what's wrong with Joshua?
5. At the end of Play Eight, what does James Talbert want to tell the press about the explosion?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)