|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who unexpectedly witnesses the events at the Treaty Oak at the end of Play Seven?
(a) Mary Anne.
(c) The sheriff.
2. What does Mary Anne do when J.T. is attacked in Play Six?
(a) Runs for help.
(b) Runs away and hides.
(c) Helps his attacker.
(d) Helps him fend off his attacker.
3. Why doesn't Joshua want to pull men out of the Blue Star mine in Play Eight?
(a) He doesn't think the issue poses an imediate danger.
(b) He is paid a bribe not to pull them out.
(c) He doesn't think there is a safety issue.
(d) It is a wildcat strike which violates the union contract.
4. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
(a) His family.
(b) Out of work miners.
(c) Howsen County voters.
(d) Franklin Biggs and James Talbert.
5. Who attacks J.T. in Play Six upon seeing him kiss Mary Anne?
(a) Sallie Rowen.
(b) Mary Anne's brother.
(d) Jed Rowen.
6. After the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven, what does Tommy tell Andrew he wants?
(a) To leave Howsen County.
(b) A promotion.
(c) His job back and his family to be safe.
7. Who is Mother Jones in Play Seven?
(a) A woman in Howsen County who has lots of children.
(b) A West Virginia union organizer Abe talks about.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A character in a fictional story.
8. In Play Eight why does Joshua tell Scotty he can't tell the miners everything that is going on with the mining company?
(a) Only people who need to know can know.
(b) It might cost him his life.
(c) He is working under cover for the FBI.
(d) He doesn't know what's gong on.
9. What brings Abe Steinman to Mary Anne's door?
(a) He needs a place to stay while looking for work at the mine.
(b) He is ill and needs a doctor.
(c) He is a traveling salesman.
(d) He is a preacher.
10. When Tommy relates some of the family history to Joshua in Play Seven, what does he say is the only thing he ever wants?
(a) A job in the mines.
(b) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
(c) Mary Anne.
(d) A fine house.
11. Why does Mary Anne give Abe the Rowen family watch in Play Seven?
(a) As a token of her esteem.
(b) To buy guns to fight the mining company.
(c) To purchase more medicine for Joshua.
(d) He is her long lost brother.
12. Why don't the Rowens rip up the contract for the mineral rights?
(a) A lawyer advises them not to destroy it.
(b) The contract is fake.
(c) The contract is illegal.
(d) They don't want to believe J.T. tells the truth about lying.
13. Who leaves the union meeting in Play Eight to pull the miners out of the unsafe mine?
(b) Franklin Biggs.
(d) James Talbert.
14. How old is Joshua in Play Seven?
15. What is Abe mending in Scene Five of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) His jacket.
(b) Joshua's quilt.
(c) His pants.
(d) His shirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other miners tease Tommy and Joshua about when Joshua arrives at the mine in Play Seven?
2. At the end of Play Eight, who does everyone turn to look at when James Talbert reads the names of the missing miners and announces Scotty's?
3. What does Abe ask Joshua to read aloud in Play Seven?
4. What does Tommy offer Andrew in Play Seven to obtain what he wants?
5. What happens to most of Mary Anne's children?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)