|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Joshua want to pull men out of the Blue Star mine in Play Eight?
(a) It is a wildcat strike which violates the union contract.
(b) He doesn't think there is a safety issue.
(c) He is paid a bribe not to pull them out.
(d) He doesn't think the issue poses an imediate danger.
2. In Play Eight, what do the local union presidents want to discuss with Joshua about the contract with the mining company?
(a) The work hours.
(b) The pensions.
(c) The wages.
(d) The layoffs and safety.
3. Who buys the winner of the boxing match in Play Seven a beer to celebrate the victory?
(b) Cassius Biggs.
4. What tragedy happens while Tommy and Joshua are at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) A coal bump or collapse of the mine.
(b) A train wreck.
(c) An auto crash.
(d) A child drowns.
5. Who arrives drunk at the Union Hall at the end of Play Eight?
(d) Franklin Biggs.
6. At the end of Play Eight, what does Joshua want to tell the press about the explosion?
(a) That it is a bomb.
(b) That it is an earthquake.
(c) The truth, that the company ignores safety concerns.
(d) That it is an accident.
7. Which of the following statements is not a reason J.T. wants Mary Anne to ask her father to rip up the contract for the mineral rights to the Rowen farm at the end of Play Six?
(a) He is afraid of Tommy.
(b) The rights are worth a lot more than J.T. pays for them.
(c) Everything he says about the mineral rights is a lie.
(d) The mining company destroys the land.
8. At the end of Play Seven, what happens to Abe at the Treaty Oak?
(a) He falls and breaks his arm.
(b) He meets a woman.
(c) He gets bit by a snake.
(d) The mining company thugs shoot him.
9. At the beginning of Play Eight, from what branch of the military is Scotty discharged?
(a) The Army.
(b) The Navy.
(c) The Coast Guard.
(d) The Marines.
10. During dinner in Play Six, what does Mary Anne say makes her father a hero?
(a) He fights with Quantrill and saves Quantrill's life.
(b) He fights for the Union.
(c) He fights for the Confederacy.
(d) He rides with Robert E. Lee.
11. How does Tommy excuse his role in what happens at the Treaty Oak?
(a) He says he does it to protect his family from the Army.
(b) He says he doesn't believe in the union.
(c) He says it is an accident.
(d) He says Andrew and the mining company threaten him.
12. What does Tommy do when he sees what Joshua is reading aloud in Play Seven?
(a) Punches Abe in the face.
(b) Rips the pamphlet out of Joshua's hand.
(c) Asks the boy to read the pamphlet to him.
(d) Reads the pamphlet for himself.
13. Who attacks J.T. in Play Six upon seeing him kiss Mary Anne?
(a) Jed Rowen.
(b) Sallie Rowen.
(d) Mary Anne's brother.
14. Why does Joshua think the water tastes funny in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) He is still ill with a fever.
(b) It has sugar in it.
(c) It has medicine in it.
(d) His mother is boiling it to keep him free of fever.
15. What is Abe mending in Scene Five of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) Joshua's quilt.
(b) His jacket.
(c) His pants.
(d) His shirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy offer Andrew in Play Seven to obtain what he wants?
2. What proof does Joshua offer in Play Seven that Tommy is the one who has betrayed the miners?
3. What does Mary Anne offer the doctor in lieu of cash?
4. What is Joshua's relationship with Lana in Play Eight?
5. In Scene two of Play Eight, what does Joshua give Scotty to welcome him to his new job as union field representative?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)