|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
(a) A mining company executive.
(b) A miner.
(c) A reporter.
(d) Joshua's wife and Scotty's mother.
2. How old is Joshua in Play Seven?
3. At the end of Play Eight, what does James Talbert want to tell the press about the explosion?
(a) It is a bomb.
(b) It is an accident.
(c) The union doesn't pull its miners out despite safety concerns.
(d) It is an earthquake.
4. During dinner in Play Six, what does Mary Anne say makes her father a hero?
(a) He rides with Robert E. Lee.
(b) He fights with Quantrill and saves Quantrill's life.
(c) He fights for the Union.
(d) He fights for the Confederacy.
5. Who beats another miner in an informal boxing match in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
6. When a huge explosion occurs at the mine in Play Eight, what does James Talbert initially think causes it?
(a) The safety problems at the mine.
(b) A bomb.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A mining accident.
7. What does Abe offer as an advance on his rent?
(a) Payment of the doctor's fee for Joshua.
(b) A diamond necklace.
(c) Medicine for Joshua.
(d) A horse.
8. In Play Eight why does Joshua tell Scotty he can't tell the miners everything that is going on with the mining company?
(a) He is working under cover for the FBI.
(b) Only people who need to know can know.
(c) It might cost him his life.
(d) He doesn't know what's gong on.
9. To Joshua's shock in Play Eight, whose name is on the list of men who are in the mind when the explosion occurs?
10. What does Abe ask Joshua to read aloud in Play Seven?
(a) A schoolbook.
(b) A magazine.
(c) One of Mother Jones' pamphlets.
(d) The Bible.
11. Who arrives drunk at the Union Hall at the end of Play Eight?
(c) Franklin Biggs.
12. What happens in Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, when Tommy sets a fuse while working with Cassius Biggs and Mackie?
(a) The mine collapses, trapping Mackie.
(b) Tommy dies in a mine explosion.
(c) Tommy sabotages the mine.
(d) Tommy gets injured in the resulting fire.
13. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into doing in Play Six?
(a) Getting drunk.
(b) Going into business with him.
(c) Buying more land.
(d) Selling the mineral rights to the Rowen land.
14. Which of the following statements is not a reason J.T. wants Mary Anne to ask her father to rip up the contract for the mineral rights to the Rowen farm at the end of Play Six?
(a) He is afraid of Tommy.
(b) The rights are worth a lot more than J.T. pays for them.
(c) Everything he says about the mineral rights is a lie.
(d) The mining company destroys the land.
15. Why does Mary Anne give Abe the Rowen family watch in Play Seven?
(a) To purchase more medicine for Joshua.
(b) As a token of her esteem.
(c) He is her long lost brother.
(d) To buy guns to fight the mining company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Andrew say it's too late to give Tommy what he wants?
2. At the end of Play Eight, who does everyone turn to look at when James Talbert reads the names of the missing miners and announces Scotty's?
3. What brings Abe Steinman to Mary Anne's door?
4. At the end of Play Seven, what happens to Abe at the Treaty Oak?
5. To whom does Joshua give a speech in the prologue of Play Eight?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)