|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the union presidents meet with Joshua in Play Eight, what does Calvin say he is complaining about for months at the Blue Star mine?
(a) Dust, which is a safety issue.
(b) Not enough miners working each shift.
(d) Poor wages.
2. When a huge explosion occurs at the mine in Play Eight, what does James Talbert initially think causes it?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A bomb.
(c) The safety problems at the mine.
(d) A mining accident.
3. Why don't the Rowens rip up the contract for the mineral rights?
(a) They don't want to believe J.T. tells the truth about lying.
(b) A lawyer advises them not to destroy it.
(c) The contract is fake.
(d) The contract is illegal.
4. Which of the following statements is not a reason J.T. wants Mary Anne to ask her father to rip up the contract for the mineral rights to the Rowen farm at the end of Play Six?
(a) The rights are worth a lot more than J.T. pays for them.
(b) Everything he says about the mineral rights is a lie.
(c) He is afraid of Tommy.
(d) The mining company destroys the land.
5. What do the other miners tease Tommy and Joshua about when Joshua arrives at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) Their clumsiness at mining.
(b) Their stuttering.
(c) Joshua's blonde hair.
(d) Joshua's shortness.
6. What does Abe urge Tommy to do after the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) Leave Mary Anne.
(b) Leave Howsen County.
(c) Work more hours in the mine.
(d) Get some guns and fight the mining company.
7. How many children does Mary Anne have in Play Seven?
8. When Sureta Biggs suggests in Play Seven that someone sells out the miners, who does Tommy blame?
(c) Mary Anne.
9. In Scene Two of Play Six, Tall Tales, who joins the Rowen family for dinner?
(b) J.T. and Tommy.
(d) Richard Talbert.
10. In Scene Two of Play Eight, who does Joshua call "the Mother Jones of Howsen County"?
(a) His mother, Mary Anne.
(b) James Talbert's wife.
(d) Sureta Biggs.
11. To Joshua's shock in Play Eight, whose name is on the list of men who are in the mind when the explosion occurs?
12. How much does the preacher want for his services?
(a) Ten dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Three dollars.
13. In Play Eight why does Joshua tell Scotty he can't tell the miners everything that is going on with the mining company?
(a) He is working under cover for the FBI.
(b) Only people who need to know can know.
(c) It might cost him his life.
(d) He doesn't know what's gong on.
14. When it's clear in Play Eight that miners are pulled out of the Blue Star mine, what does Joshua urge James Talbert to do?
(a) Expand the mine.
(b) Fire the old miners and hire new ones.
(c) Permanently close the mine.
(d) Shut the mine down temporarily and clean it out.
15. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
(b) Ice water.
(d) Bicarbonate of soda.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves the union meeting in Play Eight to pull the miners out of the unsafe mine?
2. What does Mary Anne offer the doctor in lieu of cash?
3. When Tommy relates some of the family history to Joshua in Play Seven, what does he say is the only thing he ever wants?
4. What is Abe's real reason for coming to Howsen County?
5. How many stories does J.T. tell over dinner in Play Six?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)