|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into doing in Play Six?
(a) Going into business with him.
(b) Selling the mineral rights to the Rowen land.
(c) Getting drunk.
(d) Buying more land.
2. Who arrives drunk at the Union Hall at the end of Play Eight?
(d) Franklin Biggs.
3. What is the cause of the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) The company doesn't cut support beams strong enough.
(b) The miners hit a gas pocket in the mine.
(c) Union organizers sabotage the mine with a bomb.
(d) A miner started a fire in the mine.
4. To Joshua's shock in Play Eight, whose name is on the list of men who are in the mind when the explosion occurs?
5. What does Abe say helps Joshua?
(a) A certain herb.
(b) Boiling the family drinking water, which causes the fever.
(c) Keeping him warm.
(d) An elixir made from mountain laurel.
6. What does Mary Anne do when J.T. is attacked in Play Six?
(a) Runs away and hides.
(b) Helps him fend off his attacker.
(c) Runs for help.
(d) Helps his attacker.
7. In Play Seven, what document allows Joshua to work in the mines?
(a) The fake birth certificate the preacher makes for him.
(b) His great height and strength.
(c) His age.
(d) His father's position as a miner.
8. What does Abe urge Tommy to do after the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) Leave Howsen County.
(b) Work more hours in the mine.
(c) Leave Mary Anne.
(d) Get some guns and fight the mining company.
9. In what year is Play Seven, Fire in the Hole, set?
10. Which of the following statements is not a reason J.T. wants Mary Anne to ask her father to rip up the contract for the mineral rights to the Rowen farm at the end of Play Six?
(a) Everything he says about the mineral rights is a lie.
(b) The mining company destroys the land.
(c) He is afraid of Tommy.
(d) The rights are worth a lot more than J.T. pays for them.
11. What brings Abe Steinman to Mary Anne's door?
(a) He needs a place to stay while looking for work at the mine.
(b) He is a preacher.
(c) He is a traveling salesman.
(d) He is ill and needs a doctor.
12. Which of the following is not a point that Joshua raises with James Talbert when discussing the union contract with the mining company in Play Eight?
(a) The wages paid to miners.
(b) The union backing off of safety concerns.
(c) The number of layoffs, the majority of which are blacks.
(d) The opening of a hospital for miners that accepts blacks.
13. In Scene two of Play Eight, what does Joshua give Scotty to welcome him to his new job as union field representative?
(a) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
(b) A party.
(c) A new car.
(d) A check for five hundred dollars.
14. How old is Joshua in Play Seven?
15. What happens to most of Mary Anne's children?
(a) They die of fevers.
(b) They all work the mines.
(c) They are sent to live with relatives.
(d) They are in college.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Play Eight, what does Joshua want to tell the press about the explosion?
2. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
3. What does Mary Anne do at the end of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
4. During dinner in Play Six, what does Sallie make Jed add to his whiskey?
5. What is wrong with Joshua at the beginning of Play Seven?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)