|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mother Jones in Play Seven?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A character in a fictional story.
(c) A woman in Howsen County who has lots of children.
(d) A West Virginia union organizer Abe talks about.
2. What does Mary Anne do when J.T. is attacked in Play Six?
(a) Runs for help.
(b) Runs away and hides.
(c) Helps him fend off his attacker.
(d) Helps his attacker.
3. Which of the following statements is not a reason J.T. wants Mary Anne to ask her father to rip up the contract for the mineral rights to the Rowen farm at the end of Play Six?
(a) He is afraid of Tommy.
(b) The mining company destroys the land.
(c) The rights are worth a lot more than J.T. pays for them.
(d) Everything he says about the mineral rights is a lie.
4. Why don't the Rowens rip up the contract for the mineral rights?
(a) The contract is fake.
(b) A lawyer advises them not to destroy it.
(c) They don't want to believe J.T. tells the truth about lying.
(d) The contract is illegal.
5. When Mary Anne argues with Tommy over what he wants the preacher to do in Play Seven, how does Tommy respond?
(a) He leaves Mary Anne.
(b) He threatens Mary Anne with his rifle.
(c) He agrees with Mary Anne.
(d) He hits Mary Anne hard enough to knock her down.
6. At the end of Play Eight, what does James Talbert want to tell the press about the explosion?
(a) The union doesn't pull its miners out despite safety concerns.
(b) It is a bomb.
(c) It is an earthquake.
(d) It is an accident.
7. What is Joshua's relationship with Lana in Play Eight?
(a) She's his cousin.
(b) She's his secretary and he's having an affair with her.
(c) She's a neighbor.
(d) She's a miner's wife.
8. How much does the preacher want for his services?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Three dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
9. In Scene two of Play Eight, what does Joshua give Scotty to welcome him to his new job as union field representative?
(a) A new car.
(b) A check for five hundred dollars.
(c) A party.
(d) The Rowen family's gold pocket watch.
10. In Scene Two of Play Eight, who does Joshua call "the Mother Jones of Howsen County"?
(b) Sureta Biggs.
(c) His mother, Mary Anne.
(d) James Talbert's wife.
11. How many children does Mary Anne have in Play Seven?
12. What does J.T. talk Jed Rowen into doing in Play Six?
(a) Selling the mineral rights to the Rowen land.
(b) Getting drunk.
(c) Going into business with him.
(d) Buying more land.
13. Which of the following is not a point that Joshua raises with James Talbert when discussing the union contract with the mining company in Play Eight?
(a) The number of layoffs, the majority of which are blacks.
(b) The union backing off of safety concerns.
(c) The opening of a hospital for miners that accepts blacks.
(d) The wages paid to miners.
14. Who leaves the union meeting in Play Eight to pull the miners out of the unsafe mine?
(a) James Talbert.
(d) Franklin Biggs.
15. What does Mary Anne do at the end of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) Abandons Tommy and becomes a union organizer.
(b) Leaves Howsen County.
(c) Becomes a coal miner.
(d) Gives up on the union.
Short Answer Questions
1. When it's clear in Play Eight that miners are pulled out of the Blue Star mine, what does Joshua urge James Talbert to do?
2. To Joshua's shock in Play Eight, whose name is on the list of men who are in the mind when the explosion occurs?
3. What does Sallie Rowen serve for dinner in Play Six?
4. What does Tommy offer Andrew in Play Seven to obtain what he wants?
5. What does Abe ask Joshua to read aloud in Play Seven?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)