|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who promises Scotty to personally take care of the safety concerns at the mines in Play Eight?
(a) Franklin Biggs.
(c) James Talbert.
2. Where does Cassius Biggs, a black man, once find the kind of liberty he never experiences in America?
(a) In Spain.
(b) In Canada.
(c) In Mexico.
(d) In France.
3. In Play Eight why does Joshua tell Scotty he can't tell the miners everything that is going on with the mining company?
(a) Only people who need to know can know.
(b) He doesn't know what's gong on.
(c) It might cost him his life.
(d) He is working under cover for the FBI.
4. What does Mary Anne do at the end of Play Seven, Fire in the Hole?
(a) Leaves Howsen County.
(b) Gives up on the union.
(c) Abandons Tommy and becomes a union organizer.
(d) Becomes a coal miner.
5. What does Sallie Rowen serve for dinner in Play Six?
(a) Pinto beans and turnip greens.
(b) Ham and red-eyed gravy.
(c) Fried chicken.
(d) Biscuits and gravy.
6. At the end of Play Eight, what does Joshua want to tell the press about the explosion?
(a) That it is an earthquake.
(b) The truth, that the company ignores safety concerns.
(c) That it is an accident.
(d) That it is a bomb.
7. Why does Margaret Rowen mention drinking so much?
(a) It is the holiday season and she is having a party.
(b) She likes to drink socially.
(c) She owns the local bar.
(d) She is an alcoholic.
8. In Scene Two of Play Eight, who does Joshua call "the Mother Jones of Howsen County"?
(a) James Talbert's wife.
(b) Sureta Biggs.
(c) His mother, Mary Anne.
9. In Play Eight, who is Margaret Rowen?
(a) A miner.
(b) A reporter.
(c) Joshua's wife and Scotty's mother.
(d) A mining company executive.
10. How many stories does J.T. tell over dinner in Play Six?
11. At the end of Play Seven, what happens to Cassius?
(a) He gets shot by mining company thugs.
(b) He escapes.
(c) He gets bit by a snake.
(d) He is arrested.
12. What does Mary Anne offer to do when J.T. is ready to leave the Rowen home?
(a) Guide J.T. back to the road.
(b) Pack J.T. some leftovers to take with him.
(c) Loan him a horse.
(d) Introduce J.T. to the neighbors.
13. When it's clear in Play Eight that miners are pulled out of the Blue Star mine, what does Joshua urge James Talbert to do?
(a) Shut the mine down temporarily and clean it out.
(b) Expand the mine.
(c) Permanently close the mine.
(d) Fire the old miners and hire new ones.
14. What does Abe urge Tommy to do after the tragedy at the mine in Play Seven?
(a) Leave Howsen County.
(b) Work more hours in the mine.
(c) Get some guns and fight the mining company.
(d) Leave Mary Anne.
15. What is Abe's real reason for coming to Howsen County?
(a) He wants to find a bride.
(b) He wants to buy land.
(c) He wants to preach.
(d) He is a union organizer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks J.T. in Play Six upon seeing him kiss Mary Anne?
2. In what year does Play Eight, Which Side Are You On, occur?
3. Which of the following statements is not a reason J.T. wants Mary Anne to ask her father to rip up the contract for the mineral rights to the Rowen farm at the end of Play Six?
4. How much does the preacher want for his services?
5. In Play Seven, what document allows Joshua to work in the mines?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)