|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Rowen plan to do if Morning Star has a girl instead of a boy when she delivers the baby she is expecting?
(a) Celebrate the girl's birth with a big party.
(b) Leave the baby girl on a mountain to die.
(c) Sell the child as an indentured servant.
(d) Send the child to live with the Indians.
2. Why does Richard tell Jed they should bury their differences?
(a) To unite against a common foe, the Yankees.
(b) He's tired of the bad blood between them.
(c) He wants to marry Jed's sister.
(d) He is running for office and wants Jed's vote.
3. Who does Rebecca Talbert tell Patrick Rowen his mother Star is visiting?
(a) The local preacher.
(b) A neighbor woman.
(c) Her Cherokee tribe.
(d) Rebecca's father, Joe Talbert.
4. Why does Patrick Rowen have three loans from a local bank in Play Four?
(a) To buy horses.
(b) To build a new house.
(c) To expand the Rowen land.
(d) To buy farm equipment.
5. When Tommy confronts him in Chapter Six, who does J.T. say he comes to visit?
(a) Sallie Rowen.
(b) Mary Anne Rowen.
(d) Jed Rowen.
6. Who gives an inspirational speech when Talbert's army first heads off to battle?
(a) Jed Rowen.
(b) Ezekiel Rowen.
(c) Richard Talbert.
(d) Patrick Rowen.
7. Who does Jed shoot with Richard Talbert's pistol in Play Five?
(a) A slave.
(d) A Union soldier.
8. What is wrong with the blankets Michael Rowen gives Dragging Canoe and Taskwan?
(a) They're infected with smallpox.
(b) They're torn and ragged.
(c) They're dirty and long overdue for a washing.
(d) They're filled with fleas and lice.
9. If Patrick Rowen scratches his head before sending Zeke and Zach to the house during the court's visit, what are Zeke and Zach to do?
(a) Fetch their rifles.
(b) Flee the cabin on horseback.
(c) Bring another jug of whiskey for the court officials.
(d) Bring food for the court officials.
10. When Jed returns home at the end of Play Five, what do he and his father and friends do?
(a) Switch sides and fight for the Yankees.
(b) Have a celebratory dinner.
(c) Go into hiding from Sherman's Yankee army.
(d) Attack the Talbert home, burning and killing.
11. What happens to Joe Talbert, Star's lover, at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) Patrick shoots him to avoid hanging or going to jail.
(b) He gets typhoid fever.
(c) He becomes wealthy.
(d) He runs off with Star.
12. What does the prologue in Play Six, Tall Tales, discuss?
(a) The beauty of spring in the mountains.
(b) The history of the Rowen family.
(c) Coal mining.
(d) The history of the Talbert family.
13. What happens to Morning Star's leg in Scene Five of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) Morning Star breaks it during a fall down some stairs.
(b) Rowen cuts her tendon so she can't run away.
(c) It develops a red rash.
(d) A snake bites it.
14. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, how does Michael Rowen say he injures his ankle?
(a) He falls down some steps.
(b) In a fall from his horse.
(c) In a tumble down a hill.
(d) His foot gets caught in a bear trap.
15. Why is Rebecca Talbert unhappy with Patrick Rowen at the beginning of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) He doesn't tell his father he wants to marry Rebecca.
(b) She catches him kissing another woman.
(c) He refuses to marry her.
(d) He beats up her brother in a fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does J.T. claim he is saving Mary Anne's life or at least her soul?
2. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
3. In the prologue of Play Six, who stands off to the side while 14-year-old Mary Anne Rowen sits at the creek?
4. Once Jed agrees to join the Confederate Army with Richard and Richard leaves, what do Ezekiel and Jed reveal?
5. Who makes up what Jed calls Talbert's army in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)