|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene Five of The Courtship of Morning Star, what one thought does Morning Star think she and her infant son share?
(a) Death to Rowen.
(b) Love of Rowen.
(c) A desire to run away from Rowen.
(d) A desire to return to the Cherokee.
2. Who does Michael Rowen bring back from Louisville with him in Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) A black female slave.
(b) His Irish mother.
(c) A British soldier.
(d) A doctor.
3. When Patrick Rowen tells his father he wants to marry Rebecca Talbert, how does Michael Rowen react?
(a) He tells Star to get a preacher to conduct the wedding.
(b) He disapproves and refuses to give Patrick land.
(c) He says he wants Rebecca for himself.
(d) He gives Patrick his blessing.
4. What deal does Michael Rowen make with the Cherokee warriors Dragging Canoe and Taskwan in Play One, Masters of the Trade?
(a) A trade of whiskey for fresh fish and game.
(b) A trade of powder, shot and blankets for fur pelts.
(c) A trade of whiskey for women.
(d) A trade of beads for horses.
5. What happens to the Indian woman in Scene One of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) She drowns in the river.
(b) She develops a fever.
(c) She falls in love with Michael Rowen.
(d) Michael Rowen drags her into his cabin against her will.
6. Who is wresting as Play Four, Ties That Bind, opens?
(a) Patrick and Jessie.
(b) Jessie and Zeke.
(c) Jessie and Zach.
(d) Zeke and Zach.
7. What happens to Joe Talbert, Star's lover, at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) He becomes wealthy.
(b) Patrick shoots him to avoid hanging or going to jail.
(c) He runs off with Star.
(d) He gets typhoid fever.
8. Why is Rebecca Talbert unhappy with Patrick Rowen at the beginning of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) He beats up her brother in a fight.
(b) He refuses to marry her.
(c) She catches him kissing another woman.
(d) He doesn't tell his father he wants to marry Rebecca.
9. What happens in Lawrenceburg, Kansas in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
(a) Talbert gets shot.
(b) Jed falls in love with a Yankee girl.
(c) Jed gets captured by the Yankees.
(d) Jed watches as Quantrill executes innocent civilians.
10. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen want now that he is prosperous?
(a) A big house.
(b) A wife and family.
(c) A fancy wardrobe.
(d) A stable of thoroughbred horses.
11. What does the prologue in Play Six, Tall Tales, discuss?
(a) The history of the Talbert family.
(b) Coal mining.
(c) The history of the Rowen family.
(d) The beauty of spring in the mountains.
12. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) A cornshuck doll.
(b) The gold pocket watch Rowen took from Earl Tod.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) A silver rattle.
13. What does Michael Rowen say he wants when he appears at Earl Tod's campfire in Play One?
(a) Food and warmth from the fire.
(d) A horse.
14. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy Jackson in Play Six?
(a) Tommy is her boyfriend.
(b) Tommy is her brother.
(c) Tommy is her friend.
(d) Tommy is her cousin.
15. If Patrick Rowen scratches his head before sending Zeke and Zach to the house during the court's visit, what are Zeke and Zach to do?
(a) Flee the cabin on horseback.
(b) Fetch their rifles.
(c) Bring another jug of whiskey for the court officials.
(d) Bring food for the court officials.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, how does Michael Rowen say he injures his ankle?
2. In what year does Play Four, Ties That Bind, take place?
3. Why does Richard want Jed to join his troops?
4. In Play Five, who heads the wrong way, while riding out to Bowling Green when Talbert's army first heads off to battle?
5. What does Michael Rowen tell Earl Tod he does in Georgia before coming to Kentucky?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)