|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Michael Rowen's country of origin?
2. What happens to Joe Talbert, Star's lover, at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) He runs off with Star.
(b) He gets typhoid fever.
(c) He becomes wealthy.
(d) Patrick shoots him to avoid hanging or going to jail.
3. What happens to the Indian woman in Scene One of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) She develops a fever.
(b) She drowns in the river.
(c) Michael Rowen drags her into his cabin against her will.
(d) She falls in love with Michael Rowen.
4. In the prologue of Play Six, who stands off to the side while 14-year-old Mary Anne Rowen sits at the creek?
(a) Morning Star Rowen.
(b) The adult Mary Anne.
(c) Michael Rowen.
(d) Jed Rowen.
5. In Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star, why can't the Indian woman escape?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She has no horse.
(c) She is locked in a cell.
(d) Her wrist is tied to Michael Rowen's with a rawhide thong.
6. If Patrick Rowen scratches his head before sending Zeke and Zach to the house during the court's visit, what are Zeke and Zach to do?
(a) Bring another jug of whiskey for the court officials.
(b) Bring food for the court officials.
(c) Flee the cabin on horseback.
(d) Fetch their rifles.
7. What cities does J.T. claim to visit in Play Six?
(a) Chicago and St. Louis.
(b) San Francisco and Paris, France.
(c) Atlanta, Georgia and New York City.
(d) London and Madrid.
8. What is the only thing Ezekiel Rowen takes from the Talbert home at the end of Play Five?
(a) A Bible.
(b) The gold pocket watch that is once his father Patrick's.
(c) Richard Talbert's Colt pistols.
(d) Talbert's military sword.
9. When Tommy confronts him in Chapter Six, who does J.T. say he comes to visit?
(b) Sallie Rowen.
(c) Jed Rowen.
(d) Mary Anne Rowen.
10. What happens in Play Five, once Jed forces his way onto the crowded ferry with the injured Richard Talbert?
(a) Jed shoots everyone on the ferry and takes over the boat.
(b) Jed pushes Talbert overboard and watches him drown.
(c) Jed abandons Talbert once they get across the river.
(d) Jed flees the army and becomes a deserter.
11. What deal does Michael Rowen make with the Cherokee warriors Dragging Canoe and Taskwan in Play One, Masters of the Trade?
(a) A trade of whiskey for fresh fish and game.
(b) A trade of beads for horses.
(c) A trade of whiskey for women.
(d) A trade of powder, shot and blankets for fur pelts.
12. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) The gold pocket watch Rowen took from Earl Tod.
(b) A cornshuck doll.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) A silver rattle.
13. What is Zeke's relationship to Zach in Play Four, Ties that Bind?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are friends.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are neighbors.
14. In what does the narrator of the prologue in Play Six no longer believe ?
(d) True love.
15. When Patrick Rowen tells his father he wants to marry Rebecca Talbert, how does Michael Rowen react?
(a) He tells Star to get a preacher to conduct the wedding.
(b) He disapproves and refuses to give Patrick land.
(c) He says he wants Rebecca for himself.
(d) He gives Patrick his blessing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play Four, what does Jeremiah call Zeke?
2. Why is Rebecca Talbert unhappy with Patrick Rowen at the beginning of Play Three, The Homecoming?
3. Who does Michael Rowen bring back from Louisville with him in Play Three, The Homecoming?
4. What happens to Star at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
5. How many years after Play Two does Play Three, The Homecoming, take place?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)