|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Scene One of Play Six, what does J.T. do while Mary Anne Rowen is at the stream?
(a) Whistles at her.
(b) Hums a song.
(c) Tosses a pebble over her shoulder and into the water.
(d) Clears his throat to introduce himself.
2. When Jed Rowen tells his father that Randall Talbert is just a kid in Play Five, how does Ezekiel respond?
(a) Kids need to be punished.
(b) Kids should be seen and not heard.
(c) Little snakes grow into big snakes.
(d) A Talbert is a Talbert.
3. When Patrick sells Jessie to Jeremiah in Play Four, what secret does Sallie reveal?
(a) Patrick is not Michael Rowen's son.
(b) Sallie has money to pay off Patrick's debts.
(c) Michael Rowen steals his land from Earl Tod.
(d) Jessie is Patrick's half brother.
4. Why does Patrick Rowen have three loans from a local bank in Play Four?
(a) To buy horses.
(b) To expand the Rowen land.
(c) To build a new house.
(d) To buy farm equipment.
5. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen claim he does when he is just seven years old?
(a) Become an indentured servant.
(b) Rob a merchant.
(c) Go to jail.
(d) Kill his first man.
6. Why does J.T. claim he is saving Mary Anne's life or at least her soul?
(a) She can fall into the stream and drown.
(b) Indians are lurking in the woods nearby.
(c) He is a preacher.
(d) The devil is said to hide in the muddy bottom of streams.
7. What does the Indian woman try to hit Michael Rowen with in Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) A log.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A broom.
(d) A coffee pot.
8. Why does Jed initially resist Richard's arguments about joining the war?
(a) He wants to be a preacher and doesn't want to kill anyone.
(b) He says it's a rich man's war and he's not rich.
(c) He can't afford a uniform.
(d) He fears getting shot.
9. In Play Five, which Talberts does Ezekiel tell Jed they kill?
(a) All of them.
(b) The men.
(c) The women.
(d) Richard and Randall.
10. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, how does Michael Rowen say he injures his ankle?
(a) He falls down some steps.
(b) In a fall from his horse.
(c) In a tumble down a hill.
(d) His foot gets caught in a bear trap.
11. What is wrong with the blankets Michael Rowen gives Dragging Canoe and Taskwan?
(a) They're infected with smallpox.
(b) They're dirty and long overdue for a washing.
(c) They're torn and ragged.
(d) They're filled with fleas and lice.
12. What does Michael Rowen tell Earl Tod he does in Georgia before coming to Kentucky?
(a) He is a soldier.
(b) He is a preacher.
(c) He is an indentured servant.
(d) He is a schoolmaster.
13. Which of the following statements does not describe an aspect of Jed Rowen's dream at the beginning of Play Five?
(a) Jed's grandfather, Patrick, dies.
(b) His father Ezekiel preaches from Revelations.
(c) Jed eats at a church picnic in an orchard.
(d) Two women read a list of men's names including his.
14. Why does Richard want Jed to join his troops?
(a) Jed knows the countryside in which they are fighting.
(b) Jed is a big man who can fight well.
(c) Jed's a good shot and good with horses.
(d) It keeps Jed away from the Talbert women.
15. What does Patrick Rowen offer the fat judge upon his arrival in Play Four, Ties That Bind?
(a) A drink of water.
(b) A meal.
(c) A seat on the family's best cane bottom chair.
(d) A drink of whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arrangement does Jeremiah make with Patrick in Play Four for payment of Patrick's debts?
2. In what year does Play Four, Ties That Bind, take place?
3. Who does Michael Rowen order to bathe him when he returns home from Louisville in Play Three, The Homecoming?
4. Why does Richard tell Jed they should bury their differences?
5. In Play Five, who heads the wrong way, while riding out to Bowling Green when Talbert's army first heads off to battle?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)