|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Indian woman in Scene One of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) She develops a fever.
(b) She drowns in the river.
(c) She falls in love with Michael Rowen.
(d) Michael Rowen drags her into his cabin against her will.
2. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen claim he does when he is just seven years old?
(a) Go to jail.
(b) Become an indentured servant.
(c) Rob a merchant.
(d) Kill his first man.
3. What does Michael Rowen take from Earl Tod's belongings after Tod's death?
(a) A wanted poster.
(b) A gold pocket watch.
(c) Five hundred dollars in gold and silver.
(d) A love letter to Tod's wife.
4. What is the name of the tree under which Mary Anne's great-great-grandfather, Michael Rowen, buys his land from the Indians?
(a) Cherokee Oak.
(b) Treaty Oak.
(c) Indian Maple.
(d) Cherokee Birch.
5. What happens to Star at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) She gets a new horse.
(b) Patrick shoots her.
(c) Patrick orders her off his land and she vows to see him hang.
(d) She marries Joe Talbert.
6. In Play Five, who heads the wrong way, while riding out to Bowling Green when Talbert's army first heads off to battle?
(a) Jed Rowen.
(b) Ezekiel Rowen.
(c) Richard Talbert.
(d) William Clarke Quantrill.
7. In what does the narrator of the prologue in Play Six no longer believe ?
(b) True love.
8. In Play Five, which Talberts does Ezekiel tell Jed they kill?
(a) The women.
(b) The men.
(c) Richard and Randall.
(d) All of them.
9. What does Earl Tod do before he offers Michael Rowen food and water?
(a) He demands money for his hospitality.
(b) He offers Rowen whiskey.
(c) He knocks Rowen down and searches him for weapons.
(d) He introduces Rowen to Sam.
10. Who does Jed shoot with Richard Talbert's pistol in Play Five?
(b) A Union soldier.
(d) A slave.
11. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, in what language does Earl Tod initially speak?
12. In Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star, why can't the Indian woman escape?
(a) She is locked in a cell.
(b) She is ill.
(c) Her wrist is tied to Michael Rowen's with a rawhide thong.
(d) She has no horse.
13. What does the prologue in Play Six, Tall Tales, discuss?
(a) The history of the Rowen family.
(b) The beauty of spring in the mountains.
(c) Coal mining.
(d) The history of the Talbert family.
14. What happens to Morning Star's leg in Scene Five of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) A snake bites it.
(b) Rowen cuts her tendon so she can't run away.
(c) Morning Star breaks it during a fall down some stairs.
(d) It develops a red rash.
15. What happens to Joe Talbert, Star's lover, at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) He runs off with Star.
(b) Patrick shoots him to avoid hanging or going to jail.
(c) He becomes wealthy.
(d) He gets typhoid fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe an aspect of Jed Rowen's dream at the beginning of Play Five?
2. What cities does J.T. claim to visit in Play Six?
3. What is Zeke's relationship to Zach in Play Four, Ties that Bind?
4. When Jed returns home at the end of Play Five, what do he and his father and friends do?
5. What is the only thing Ezekiel Rowen takes from the Talbert home at the end of Play Five?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)