|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Indian woman in Scene One of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) Michael Rowen drags her into his cabin against her will.
(b) She develops a fever.
(c) She falls in love with Michael Rowen.
(d) She drowns in the river.
2. In Play Five, how does Randall's father, Richard, punish the boy for running away?
(a) He makes Randall tend the family mules.
(b) He whips Randall's hand and sends him home.
(c) He makes Randall work the fields with the sharecroppers.
(d) He withholds Randall's monthly allowance.
3. When Patrick Rowen and his father Michael argue in Play Three, The Homecoming, what does Star deliberately do to Michael in his bath?
(a) Freezes him with cold water.
(b) Scalds him with hot water.
(c) Puts soap in his eyes.
(d) Tries to drown him.
4. What happens in Lawrenceburg, Kansas in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
(a) Jed gets captured by the Yankees.
(b) Jed falls in love with a Yankee girl.
(c) Jed watches as Quantrill executes innocent civilians.
(d) Talbert gets shot.
5. In Scene Five of The Courtship of Morning Star, what one thought does Morning Star think she and her infant son share?
(a) A desire to return to the Cherokee.
(b) Death to Rowen.
(c) Love of Rowen.
(d) A desire to run away from Rowen.
6. What is wrong with the blankets Michael Rowen gives Dragging Canoe and Taskwan?
(a) They're dirty and long overdue for a washing.
(b) They're infected with smallpox.
(c) They're filled with fleas and lice.
(d) They're torn and ragged.
7. In what year does Play Five, God's Great Supper, take place?
8. How many years after Play Two does Play Three, The Homecoming, take place?
(a) Sixteen years.
(b) One hundred years.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Two years.
9. What does Jed do when Talbert asks for his help in getting off the battle field in Play Five?
(a) Picks up Talbert's pistol and aims it at Talbert.
(b) Helps Talbert get back to Kentucky.
(c) Tends Talbert like a slave would.
(d) Abandons Talbert.
10. Why does Richard want Jed to join his troops?
(a) It keeps Jed away from the Talbert women.
(b) Jed is a big man who can fight well.
(c) Jed's a good shot and good with horses.
(d) Jed knows the countryside in which they are fighting.
11. What is Zeke's relationship to Zach in Play Four, Ties that Bind?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) They are friends.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are neighbors.
12. In Play Four, what does Jeremiah call Zeke?
(a) Good sir.
(b) Master Rowen.
(c) Mr. Preacher Man.
(d) Little gentleman.
13. What happens to Star at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) She gets a new horse.
(b) Patrick shoots her.
(c) Patrick orders her off his land and she vows to see him hang.
(d) She marries Joe Talbert.
14. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, how does Michael Rowen say he injures his ankle?
(a) His foot gets caught in a bear trap.
(b) In a tumble down a hill.
(c) He falls down some steps.
(d) In a fall from his horse.
15. When Jed Rowen tells his father that Randall Talbert is just a kid in Play Five, how does Ezekiel respond?
(a) Kids need to be punished.
(b) Little snakes grow into big snakes.
(c) Kids should be seen and not heard.
(d) A Talbert is a Talbert.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Patrick Rowen scratches his head before sending Zeke and Zach to the house during the court's visit, what are Zeke and Zach to do?
2. Which Talberts survive the attack on their home in Play Five?
3. In Play Four, to whom does Patrick Rowen owe money now that his bank folds?
4. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
5. According to J.T. at the beginning of Play Six, who sometimes takes the shape of a channel catfish?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)