|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jed do when Talbert asks for his help in getting off the battle field in Play Five?
(a) Tends Talbert like a slave would.
(b) Helps Talbert get back to Kentucky.
(c) Abandons Talbert.
(d) Picks up Talbert's pistol and aims it at Talbert.
2. When Patrick Rowen and his father Michael argue in Play Three, The Homecoming, what does Star deliberately do to Michael in his bath?
(a) Puts soap in his eyes.
(b) Scalds him with hot water.
(c) Freezes him with cold water.
(d) Tries to drown him.
3. Who does Michael Rowen order to bathe him when he returns home from Louisville in Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) His doctor.
(b) His wife, Star.
(c) The black female slave.
(d) A neighbor woman.
4. In Play Five, how does Randall's father, Richard, punish the boy for running away?
(a) He makes Randall tend the family mules.
(b) He withholds Randall's monthly allowance.
(c) He whips Randall's hand and sends him home.
(d) He makes Randall work the fields with the sharecroppers.
5. In Play Four, what does Jeremiah call Zeke?
(a) Little gentleman.
(b) Good sir.
(c) Master Rowen.
(d) Mr. Preacher Man.
6. What does Earl Tod do before he offers Michael Rowen food and water?
(a) He introduces Rowen to Sam.
(b) He offers Rowen whiskey.
(c) He demands money for his hospitality.
(d) He knocks Rowen down and searches him for weapons.
7. Once Jed agrees to join the Confederate Army with Richard and Richard leaves, what do Ezekiel and Jed reveal?
(a) They can't repay their debts and are fleeing Kentucky.
(b) Jed gets one of Richard's daughters pregnant.
(c) They poisen Richard's wells.
(d) They plan for Jed to join the Army to kill Richard.
8. According to J.T. at the beginning of Play Six, who sometimes takes the shape of a channel catfish?
(a) The devil.
(b) The ghost of Joe Talbert.
(c) A water nymph.
(d) A Cherokee Indian spirit.
9. If Patrick Rowen scratches his head before sending Zeke and Zach to the house during the court's visit, what are Zeke and Zach to do?
(a) Flee the cabin on horseback.
(b) Bring another jug of whiskey for the court officials.
(c) Bring food for the court officials.
(d) Fetch their rifles.
10. What does Michael Rowen take from Earl Tod's belongings after Tod's death?
(a) A love letter to Tod's wife.
(b) Five hundred dollars in gold and silver.
(c) A wanted poster.
(d) A gold pocket watch.
11. Why is Rebecca Talbert unhappy with Patrick Rowen at the beginning of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) He beats up her brother in a fight.
(b) He refuses to marry her.
(c) He doesn't tell his father he wants to marry Rebecca.
(d) She catches him kissing another woman.
12. Why is Randall Talbert running away in Play Five?
(a) To avoid punishment for stealing.
(b) To get married.
(c) To escape his father's abuse.
(d) To fight the Yankees.
13. Who makes up what Jed calls Talbert's army in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
(a) Jed and some Irish immigrants.
(b) Talbert's wife and daughters.
(c) Twenty white men from Talbert's county.
(d) Jed, Talbert's house slave, and a handful of sharecroppers.
14. What does the Indian woman try to hit Michael Rowen with in Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A log.
(c) A coffee pot.
(d) A broom.
15. Which of the following statements does not describe an aspect of Jed Rowen's dream at the beginning of Play Five?
(a) Jed eats at a church picnic in an orchard.
(b) Jed's grandfather, Patrick, dies.
(c) His father Ezekiel preaches from Revelations.
(d) Two women read a list of men's names including his.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael Rowen say he wants when he appears at Earl Tod's campfire in Play One?
2. At the beginning of Scene One of Play Six, what does J.T. do while Mary Anne Rowen is at the stream?
3. Why does J.T. claim he is saving Mary Anne's life or at least her soul?
4. What happens in Play Five, once Jed forces his way onto the crowded ferry with the injured Richard Talbert?
5. In the prologue of Play Six, who stands off to the side while 14-year-old Mary Anne Rowen sits at the creek?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)