|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Patrick Rowen offer the fat judge upon his arrival in Play Four, Ties That Bind?
(a) A meal.
(b) A drink of whiskey.
(c) A seat on the family's best cane bottom chair.
(d) A drink of water.
2. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy Jackson in Play Six?
(a) Tommy is her cousin.
(b) Tommy is her brother.
(c) Tommy is her friend.
(d) Tommy is her boyfriend.
3. In Play Five, how does Randall's father, Richard, punish the boy for running away?
(a) He whips Randall's hand and sends him home.
(b) He makes Randall tend the family mules.
(c) He makes Randall work the fields with the sharecroppers.
(d) He withholds Randall's monthly allowance.
4. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Rowen plan to do if Morning Star has a girl instead of a boy when she delivers the baby she is expecting?
(a) Send the child to live with the Indians.
(b) Celebrate the girl's birth with a big party.
(c) Sell the child as an indentured servant.
(d) Leave the baby girl on a mountain to die.
5. What does Jed do when Talbert asks for his help in getting off the battle field in Play Five?
(a) Abandons Talbert.
(b) Tends Talbert like a slave would.
(c) Helps Talbert get back to Kentucky.
(d) Picks up Talbert's pistol and aims it at Talbert.
6. When Jed returns home at the end of Play Five, what do he and his father and friends do?
(a) Attack the Talbert home, burning and killing.
(b) Have a celebratory dinner.
(c) Switch sides and fight for the Yankees.
(d) Go into hiding from Sherman's Yankee army.
7. What does the Indian woman try to hit Michael Rowen with in Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) A coffee pot.
(b) A broom.
(c) A log.
(d) A rifle.
8. What is the name of the tree under which Mary Anne's great-great-grandfather, Michael Rowen, buys his land from the Indians?
(a) Treaty Oak.
(b) Cherokee Oak.
(c) Indian Maple.
(d) Cherokee Birch.
9. In what does the narrator of the prologue in Play Six no longer believe ?
(a) True love.
10. What happens to Joe Talbert, Star's lover, at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) He gets typhoid fever.
(b) Patrick shoots him to avoid hanging or going to jail.
(c) He becomes wealthy.
(d) He runs off with Star.
11. In Play Five, who heads the wrong way, while riding out to Bowling Green when Talbert's army first heads off to battle?
(a) Jed Rowen.
(b) Richard Talbert.
(c) Ezekiel Rowen.
(d) William Clarke Quantrill.
12. Once Jed agrees to join the Confederate Army with Richard and Richard leaves, what do Ezekiel and Jed reveal?
(a) Jed gets one of Richard's daughters pregnant.
(b) They poisen Richard's wells.
(c) They can't repay their debts and are fleeing Kentucky.
(d) They plan for Jed to join the Army to kill Richard.
13. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, in what language does Earl Tod initially speak?
14. Why does J.T. claim he is saving Mary Anne's life or at least her soul?
(a) He is a preacher.
(b) Indians are lurking in the woods nearby.
(c) The devil is said to hide in the muddy bottom of streams.
(d) She can fall into the stream and drown.
15. When Patrick Rowen and his father Michael argue in Play Three, The Homecoming, what does Star deliberately do to Michael in his bath?
(a) Puts soap in his eyes.
(b) Tries to drown him.
(c) Freezes him with cold water.
(d) Scalds him with hot water.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, what does Michael Rowen say happens at Zion?
2. Why does Patrick Rowen have three loans from a local bank in Play Four?
3. At the beginning of Scene One of Play Six, what does J.T. do while Mary Anne Rowen is at the stream?
4. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
5. What arrangement does Jeremiah make with Patrick in Play Four for payment of Patrick's debts?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)