|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen want now that he is prosperous?
(a) A fancy wardrobe.
(b) A wife and family.
(c) A stable of thoroughbred horses.
(d) A big house.
2. What is Zeke's relationship to Zach in Play Four, Ties that Bind?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are neighbors.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are cousins.
3. Why does Jed initially resist Richard's arguments about joining the war?
(a) He can't afford a uniform.
(b) He wants to be a preacher and doesn't want to kill anyone.
(c) He fears getting shot.
(d) He says it's a rich man's war and he's not rich.
4. What deal does Michael Rowen make with the Cherokee warriors Dragging Canoe and Taskwan in Play One, Masters of the Trade?
(a) A trade of whiskey for women.
(b) A trade of whiskey for fresh fish and game.
(c) A trade of beads for horses.
(d) A trade of powder, shot and blankets for fur pelts.
5. In Play Four, what does Patrick Rowen ask Jessie to do with the circuit court's mules, if any shooting occurs during the court's visit?
(a) Drown the mules.
(b) Make the mules hard to find.
(c) Feed the mules.
(d) Shoot the mules.
6. Why does Richard want Jed to join his troops?
(a) Jed knows the countryside in which they are fighting.
(b) Jed is a big man who can fight well.
(c) It keeps Jed away from the Talbert women.
(d) Jed's a good shot and good with horses.
7. When Jed returns home at the end of Play Five, what do he and his father and friends do?
(a) Go into hiding from Sherman's Yankee army.
(b) Attack the Talbert home, burning and killing.
(c) Have a celebratory dinner.
(d) Switch sides and fight for the Yankees.
8. Who is wresting as Play Four, Ties That Bind, opens?
(a) Jessie and Zeke.
(b) Patrick and Jessie.
(c) Jessie and Zach.
(d) Zeke and Zach.
9. How long after the first play does the second play, The Courtship of Morning Star, take place?
(a) One hundred years.
(b) One year.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twenty-five years.
10. What does Morning Star dangle over her baby son at the end of Scene Six of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) A cornshuck doll.
(b) A lock of her hair.
(c) The gold pocket watch Rowen took from Earl Tod.
(d) A silver rattle.
11. What does Earl Tod do before he offers Michael Rowen food and water?
(a) He introduces Rowen to Sam.
(b) He knocks Rowen down and searches him for weapons.
(c) He offers Rowen whiskey.
(d) He demands money for his hospitality.
12. How old is Patrick Rowen in Play Five?
13. What does Michael Rowen tell Earl Tod he does in Georgia before coming to Kentucky?
(a) He is a preacher.
(b) He is a schoolmaster.
(c) He is a soldier.
(d) He is an indentured servant.
14. In Play Three, The Homecoming, what does Patrick Rowen do to his father Michael during their argument while Michael bathes?
(a) Hits him with his fists.
(b) Stabs him to death.
(c) Scalds him with hot water.
(d) Drowns him.
15. What arrangement does Jeremiah make with Patrick in Play Four for payment of Patrick's debts?
(a) Jeremiah takes half the Rowen land, not all of it.
(b) Patrick must sharecrop the land he once owns.
(c) Jeremiah pays the debts in full for Patrick.
(d) Jeremiah accepts Patrick's slaves as payment in full.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Jeremiah reveal at the end of Play Four, Ties That Bind?
2. When Patrick Rowen and his father Michael argue in Play Three, The Homecoming, what does Star deliberately do to Michael in his bath?
3. What does J.T. claim the letters in his name stand for?
4. In Scene Four of The Courtship of Morning Star, how does Morning star respond when Michael Rowen pulls her into his lap and begins kissing her?
5. In what year does Play Six, Tall Tales, take place?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)