|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Play Five, who does Ezekiel find hiding under the Rowen porch and overhearing his conversation with Jed about killing Richard?
(b) Randall Talbert.
2. When Patrick Rowen tells his father he wants to marry Rebecca Talbert, how does Michael Rowen react?
(a) He gives Patrick his blessing.
(b) He disapproves and refuses to give Patrick land.
(c) He tells Star to get a preacher to conduct the wedding.
(d) He says he wants Rebecca for himself.
3. What is the Cherokee term for Morning Star?
(a) Gado adi.
(b) O si yo.
(c) Knox Sanale.
(d) Didi luga.
4. What happens to Star at the end of Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) She marries Joe Talbert.
(b) Patrick shoots her.
(c) She gets a new horse.
(d) Patrick orders her off his land and she vows to see him hang.
5. At the beginning of Scene One of Play Six, what does J.T. do while Mary Anne Rowen is at the stream?
(a) Hums a song.
(b) Tosses a pebble over her shoulder and into the water.
(c) Whistles at her.
(d) Clears his throat to introduce himself.
6. According to J.T. at the beginning of Play Six, who sometimes takes the shape of a channel catfish?
(a) The ghost of Joe Talbert.
(b) The devil.
(c) A water nymph.
(d) A Cherokee Indian spirit.
7. Which of the following statements does not describe an aspect of Jed Rowen's dream at the beginning of Play Five?
(a) Jed's grandfather, Patrick, dies.
(b) Jed eats at a church picnic in an orchard.
(c) His father Ezekiel preaches from Revelations.
(d) Two women read a list of men's names including his.
8. In Play One, Masters of the Trade, in what language does Earl Tod initially speak?
9. Who does Michael Rowen order to bathe him when he returns home from Louisville in Play Three, The Homecoming?
(a) His doctor.
(b) The black female slave.
(c) A neighbor woman.
(d) His wife, Star.
10. In what year does Play Four, Ties That Bind, take place?
11. What is the name of the tree under which Mary Anne's great-great-grandfather, Michael Rowen, buys his land from the Indians?
(a) Treaty Oak.
(b) Indian Maple.
(c) Cherokee Oak.
(d) Cherokee Birch.
12. If Patrick Rowen scratches his head before sending Zeke and Zach to the house during the court's visit, what are Zeke and Zach to do?
(a) Flee the cabin on horseback.
(b) Bring food for the court officials.
(c) Fetch their rifles.
(d) Bring another jug of whiskey for the court officials.
13. In Play Four, what does Patrick Rowen ask Jessie to do with the circuit court's mules, if any shooting occurs during the court's visit?
(a) Shoot the mules.
(b) Make the mules hard to find.
(c) Feed the mules.
(d) Drown the mules.
14. In what does the narrator of the prologue in Play Six no longer believe ?
(c) True love.
15. When Patrick Rowen and his father Michael argue in Play Three, The Homecoming, what does Star deliberately do to Michael in his bath?
(a) Scalds him with hot water.
(b) Freezes him with cold water.
(c) Puts soap in his eyes.
(d) Tries to drown him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives an inspirational speech when Talbert's army first heads off to battle?
2. What does Michael Rowen say he wants when he appears at Earl Tod's campfire in Play One?
3. In what year does Play Six, Tall Tales, take place?
4. Which Talberts survive the attack on their home in Play Five?
5. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen want now that he is prosperous?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)