|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Richard want Jed to join his troops?
(a) Jed's a good shot and good with horses.
(b) Jed knows the countryside in which they are fighting.
(c) It keeps Jed away from the Talbert women.
(d) Jed is a big man who can fight well.
2. In Scene Four of The Courtship of Morning Star, how does Morning star respond when Michael Rowen pulls her into his lap and begins kissing her?
(a) She bursts into tears.
(b) She pulls a knife on Rowen.
(c) She tells Rowen she loves him.
(d) She breaks a chair over Rowen's head.
3. What happens in Lawrenceburg, Kansas in Play Five, God's Great Supper?
(a) Jed gets captured by the Yankees.
(b) Jed falls in love with a Yankee girl.
(c) Talbert gets shot.
(d) Jed watches as Quantrill executes innocent civilians.
4. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Rowen plan to do if Morning Star has a girl instead of a boy when she delivers the baby she is expecting?
(a) Send the child to live with the Indians.
(b) Celebrate the girl's birth with a big party.
(c) Sell the child as an indentured servant.
(d) Leave the baby girl on a mountain to die.
5. What do Rebecca Talbert and Patrick Rowen want to do?
(a) Start a business.
(b) Learn to speak Cherokee.
(c) Get married.
(d) Build a house.
6. In Play Five, which Talberts does Ezekiel tell Jed they kill?
(a) The women.
(b) All of them.
(c) Richard and Randall.
(d) The men.
7. In what year does Play Four, Ties That Bind, take place?
8. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Michael Rowen claim he does when he is just seven years old?
(a) Become an indentured servant.
(b) Rob a merchant.
(c) Go to jail.
(d) Kill his first man.
9. What does the prologue in Play Six, Tall Tales, discuss?
(a) Coal mining.
(b) The history of the Talbert family.
(c) The history of the Rowen family.
(d) The beauty of spring in the mountains.
10. In what does the narrator of the prologue in Play Six no longer believe ?
(a) True love.
11. In Play Five, who does Ezekiel find hiding under the Rowen porch and overhearing his conversation with Jed about killing Richard?
(d) Randall Talbert.
12. What secret does Jeremiah reveal at the end of Play Four, Ties That Bind?
(a) He is Joe Talbert's son getting revenge for his pa's murder.
(b) He is building a new bank to replace the failed one.
(c) He is a Rowen.
(d) He is Patrick's half brother.
13. Why does Richard tell Jed they should bury their differences?
(a) To unite against a common foe, the Yankees.
(b) He wants to marry Jed's sister.
(c) He's tired of the bad blood between them.
(d) He is running for office and wants Jed's vote.
14. How long after the first play does the second play, The Courtship of Morning Star, take place?
(a) Twenty-five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) One hundred years.
15. In Scene Five of The Courtship of Morning Star, what one thought does Morning Star think she and her infant son share?
(a) Love of Rowen.
(b) A desire to return to the Cherokee.
(c) Death to Rowen.
(d) A desire to run away from Rowen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Play Five, once Jed forces his way onto the crowded ferry with the injured Richard Talbert?
2. At the beginning of Scene One of Play Six, what does J.T. do while Mary Anne Rowen is at the stream?
3. In Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star, why can't the Indian woman escape?
4. When Tommy confronts him in Chapter Six, who does J.T. say he comes to visit?
5. Who does Michael Rowen order to bathe him when he returns home from Louisville in Play Three, The Homecoming?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)