|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael Rowen take from Earl Tod's belongings after Tod's death?
(a) A love letter to Tod's wife.
(b) A wanted poster.
(c) Five hundred dollars in gold and silver.
(d) A gold pocket watch.
2. What is Zeke's relationship to Zach in Play Four, Ties that Bind?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are neighbors.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are friends.
3. What does the Indian woman try to hit Michael Rowen with in Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A broom.
(c) A log.
(d) A coffee pot.
4. According to J.T. at the beginning of Play Six, who sometimes takes the shape of a channel catfish?
(a) A Cherokee Indian spirit.
(b) The ghost of Joe Talbert.
(c) The devil.
(d) A water nymph.
5. In the prologue of Play Six, who stands off to the side while 14-year-old Mary Anne Rowen sits at the creek?
(a) Michael Rowen.
(b) The adult Mary Anne.
(c) Jed Rowen.
(d) Morning Star Rowen.
6. What is Earl Tod's country of origin?
7. When Patrick Rowen tells his father he wants to marry Rebecca Talbert, how does Michael Rowen react?
(a) He says he wants Rebecca for himself.
(b) He disapproves and refuses to give Patrick land.
(c) He tells Star to get a preacher to conduct the wedding.
(d) He gives Patrick his blessing.
8. How old is Patrick Rowen in Play Five?
9. In Play Five, which Talberts does Ezekiel tell Jed they kill?
(a) The women.
(b) The men.
(c) Richard and Randall.
(d) All of them.
10. Whose raiders does Jed join after he leaves Talbert's army in Play Five?
(a) Quantrill's raiders.
(b) A group of black raiders.
(c) A Union officer's raiders.
(d) A group of Kentucky raiders.
11. Who does Rebecca Talbert tell Patrick Rowen his mother Star is visiting?
(a) Her Cherokee tribe.
(b) The local preacher.
(c) A neighbor woman.
(d) Rebecca's father, Joe Talbert.
12. What does J.T. claim the letters in his name stand for?
(a) Joshua Thomas.
(b) John Tucker.
(c) Joyful Thaddeus.
(d) Just Terrific.
13. Who does Jed shoot with Richard Talbert's pistol in Play Five?
(a) A slave.
(c) A Union soldier.
14. What happens in Play Five, once Jed forces his way onto the crowded ferry with the injured Richard Talbert?
(a) Jed abandons Talbert once they get across the river.
(b) Jed pushes Talbert overboard and watches him drown.
(c) Jed flees the army and becomes a deserter.
(d) Jed shoots everyone on the ferry and takes over the boat.
15. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Rowen plan to do if Morning Star has a girl instead of a boy when she delivers the baby she is expecting?
(a) Celebrate the girl's birth with a big party.
(b) Send the child to live with the Indians.
(c) Leave the baby girl on a mountain to die.
(d) Sell the child as an indentured servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary Anne's relationship with Tommy Jackson in Play Six?
2. What happens to the Indian woman in Scene One of The Courtship of Morning Star?
3. When Tommy confronts him in Chapter Six, who does J.T. say he comes to visit?
4. When Patrick Rowen and his father Michael argue in Play Three, The Homecoming, what does Star deliberately do to Michael in his bath?
5. Why does J.T. claim he is saving Mary Anne's life or at least her soul?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)