|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what does the narrator of the prologue in Play Six no longer believe ?
(b) True love.
2. Which Talberts survive the attack on their home in Play Five?
(a) Young Randall and his grandmother.
(b) The two Talbert women.
(c) Young Randall and his mother.
(d) Richard Talbert and his mother.
3. When Patrick Rowen tells his father he wants to marry Rebecca Talbert, how does Michael Rowen react?
(a) He says he wants Rebecca for himself.
(b) He gives Patrick his blessing.
(c) He tells Star to get a preacher to conduct the wedding.
(d) He disapproves and refuses to give Patrick land.
4. In Play Five, who does Ezekiel find hiding under the Rowen porch and overhearing his conversation with Jed about killing Richard?
(d) Randall Talbert.
5. What does the Indian woman try to hit Michael Rowen with in Scene Two of The Courtship of Morning Star?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A broom.
(c) A log.
(d) A coffee pot.
6. What does Michael Rowen tell Earl Tod he does in Georgia before coming to Kentucky?
(a) He is an indentured servant.
(b) He is a preacher.
(c) He is a soldier.
(d) He is a schoolmaster.
7. In Play Four, what does Patrick Rowen ask Jessie to do with the circuit court's mules, if any shooting occurs during the court's visit?
(a) Drown the mules.
(b) Shoot the mules.
(c) Feed the mules.
(d) Make the mules hard to find.
8. Why does Richard tell Jed they should bury their differences?
(a) To unite against a common foe, the Yankees.
(b) He's tired of the bad blood between them.
(c) He wants to marry Jed's sister.
(d) He is running for office and wants Jed's vote.
9. In Play Two, The Courtship of Morning Star, what does Rowen plan to do if Morning Star has a girl instead of a boy when she delivers the baby she is expecting?
(a) Celebrate the girl's birth with a big party.
(b) Leave the baby girl on a mountain to die.
(c) Send the child to live with the Indians.
(d) Sell the child as an indentured servant.
10. When Patrick sells Jessie to Jeremiah in Play Four, what secret does Sallie reveal?
(a) Sallie has money to pay off Patrick's debts.
(b) Michael Rowen steals his land from Earl Tod.
(c) Patrick is not Michael Rowen's son.
(d) Jessie is Patrick's half brother.
11. When Jed returns home at the end of Play Five, what do he and his father and friends do?
(a) Have a celebratory dinner.
(b) Switch sides and fight for the Yankees.
(c) Attack the Talbert home, burning and killing.
(d) Go into hiding from Sherman's Yankee army.
12. What is wrong with the blankets Michael Rowen gives Dragging Canoe and Taskwan?
(a) They're infected with smallpox.
(b) They're filled with fleas and lice.
(c) They're dirty and long overdue for a washing.
(d) They're torn and ragged.
13. Why does Patrick Rowen have three loans from a local bank in Play Four?
(a) To buy farm equipment.
(b) To expand the Rowen land.
(c) To build a new house.
(d) To buy horses.
14. If Patrick Rowen scratches his head before sending Zeke and Zach to the house during the court's visit, what are Zeke and Zach to do?
(a) Bring food for the court officials.
(b) Fetch their rifles.
(c) Flee the cabin on horseback.
(d) Bring another jug of whiskey for the court officials.
15. Why is Randall Talbert running away in Play Five?
(a) To escape his father's abuse.
(b) To get married.
(c) To fight the Yankees.
(d) To avoid punishment for stealing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the prologue of Play Six, who stands off to the side while 14-year-old Mary Anne Rowen sits at the creek?
2. What arrangement does Jeremiah make with Patrick in Play Four for payment of Patrick's debts?
3. Why is Rebecca Talbert unhappy with Patrick Rowen at the beginning of Play Three, The Homecoming?
4. What happens to the Indian woman in Scene One of The Courtship of Morning Star?
5. What does Michael Rowen take from Earl Tod's belongings after Tod's death?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)