|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a woman at Greenhaven believe when Mariah was there?
2. Where did Colin send Mariah after his first infidelity?
3. What does Mariah make for a living?
4. What does Mariah find at home when she picks Faith up from school on September 30?
5. What does Faith do to her grandmother when she gets to the room where her grandmother lies dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Father MacReady explain the words that Faith was speaking when she collapsed because her hands and side were bleeding?
2. When is the only time Mariah remembers Faith asking about God?
3. Who is Malcom Metz?
4. What reasons does Ian give for calling Allen McManus?
5. What does Joan Standish say in Mariah's defense at the custody hearing?
6. Why does Malcom Metz say that the custody of Faith is a life and death matter?
7. How is Faith injured at the circus?
8. Why does Father Joseph call Monsignor O'Shaughnessy?
9. What happened the first time Mariah found Colin in bed with another woman?
10. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Mariah feels as she has never measured up in her marriage. Explain why Mariah feels that she never quite measured up.
Essay Topic 2
For Christians, the Old Testament of the Bible represents the old covenant between man and God, and the New Testament represents a new covenant between man and God. Explain why the author might have divided the book into two parts: "The Old Testament" and "The New Testament".
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Mariah explains that she leaves nothing to chance with her dollhouses because she nails everything down so nothing can move, get lost, or be damaged. Explain whether or not Mariah tried to leave nothing to chance in her life when she was married to Colin.
This section contains 1,624 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)