|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a clown paint on Mariah's face?
2. What book does a college librarian recommend that Mariah read?
3. Where were Mariah and Colin married?
4. What is Colin's job?
5. Mariah reads a book at a college library. Who does she read about from Lourdes, France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rabbi Weissman say about Faith's vision?
2. How does Mariah have to give Faith her Risperdal?
3. Why does Mariah tell her mother about drowning Priscilla?
4. Why, from the beginning, did Mariah believe that she and Colin were not meant to be together?
5. In Chapter 3, does Mariah believe that Faith may be talking to God?
6. How does the librarian figure out what book Faith wants?
7. What are certain things that Mariah does not like to talk about?
8. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
9. What questions does Dr. Keller ask when she presents Faith's case at a psychiatric symposium?
10. What does Faith see in her dreams on the night of August 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, Faith's hands begin to bleed for no apparent reason. Argue why these wounds are or are not stigmata. Use arguments the characters use in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, Millie tells Mariah that Faith will see her through the crises in Mariah's life. Explain whether Millie means Faith, the child; faith, a belief in something; or that both faith and Faith will see Mariah through the troubles in her life. Also explain how Millie believes Faith and/or faith will help Mariah.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Chapter 15, Picoult uses a quote from Sophocles. Explain how the novel shows that "[c]hildren are the anchors that hold a mother to life."
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)