|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mariah begin building dollhouses?
2. Where did Colin and Mariah meet?
3. Why are Mariah and Faith home at the beginning of the novel?
4. What book does Faith want to find?
5. What does Millie Epstein think about the people who surround Mariah's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does James Wilton tell Ian Fletcher that now would be a good time to start praying?
2. How does Mariah have to give Faith her Risperdal?
3. How does a clown entertain Faith before the show?
4. In Chapter 3, does Mariah believe that Faith may be talking to God?
5. What did Mariah do when she attended a circus the year she was seven?
6. What questions does Dr. Keller ask when she presents Faith's case at a psychiatric symposium?
7. Why, from the beginning, did Mariah believe that she and Colin were not meant to be together?
8. What happened the first time Mariah found Colin in bed with another woman?
9. What does Faith realize when her mother begins saying, "Oh, God. God. Oh my God."?
10. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, the author begins with a quote from Ian Fletcher that says, "Sure, lots of people believe in God. Lots of people used to believe the world was flat, too." Explain the meaning of this phrase and why Ian would compare a belief in God to a belief that the world is flat.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether a faith in God is a blind faith. Use examples from the novel to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Chapter 1, the author quotes Milton saying, "Millions of spiritual creatures walk the earth [u]nseen, both when we wake and when we sleep." How is the quote a theme in the novel? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)