|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faith have to be at one o'clock on Wednesdays?
2. What does the guard do when Faith says she has a pain?
3. How did Mariah's dollhouses become famous?
4. What is Colin's job?
5. Why do Mariah and Faith need to go back to the house at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mariah have to give Faith her Risperdal?
2. Why is Dr. De Vries qualified to diagnose Faith's illness?
3. What happened the first time Mariah found Colin in bed with another woman?
4. What does Rabbi Weissman say about Faith's vision?
5. What are certain things that Mariah does not like to talk about?
6. Why does Mariah agree to take Faith to the library to get the book her guard told her about?
7. What does Faith see in her dreams on the night of August 30?
8. What did Mariah do when she attended a circus the year she was seven?
9. Why, from the beginning, did Mariah believe that she and Colin were not meant to be together?
10. Why does Mariah tell her mother about drowning Priscilla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Motherhood is a frequent theme in the novel. At one point, Millie states that motherhood is a work in process. Discuss whether motherhood is or is not a work process.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Millie tells Mariah that "being a family isn't a social construct, but an instinct." Using examples from the novel, explain why family is not a social construct, but an instinct.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Faith's hands begin to bleed for no apparent reason. Argue why these wounds are or are not stigmata. Use arguments the characters use in the novel.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)