|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mariah receive in the mail on September 23?
2. Who do Marian and Faith find at home when they return?
3. At the end of September, why doesn't Faith want to go to school anymore?
4. Why do Mariah and Faith need to go back to the house at the beginning of the book?
5. How many stitches does Faith need after the circus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mariah's home.
2. How does a clown entertain Faith before the show?
3. In Chapter 3, does Mariah believe that Faith may be talking to God?
4. Why is Dr. De Vries qualified to diagnose Faith's illness?
5. Why does Mariah agree to take Faith to the library to get the book her guard told her about?
6. Why does James Wilton tell Ian Fletcher that now would be a good time to start praying?
7. Why does Mariah want Faith to talk to a Priest?
8. What questions does Dr. Keller ask when she presents Faith's case at a psychiatric symposium?
9. How does Mariah have to give Faith her Risperdal?
10. When is the only time Mariah remembers Faith asking about God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Mariah explains that she leaves nothing to chance with her dollhouses because she nails everything down so nothing can move, get lost, or be damaged. Explain whether or not Mariah tried to leave nothing to chance in her life when she was married to Colin.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Millie tells Mariah that "being a family isn't a social construct, but an instinct." Using examples from the novel, explain why family is not a social construct, but an instinct.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Faith's hands begin to bleed for no apparent reason. Argue why these wounds are or are not stigmata. Use arguments the characters use in the novel.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)