|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the guard do when Faith says she has a pain?
2. When did Mariah begin building dollhouses?
3. What is Colin's job?
4. What grade is Faith in?
5. Where does Faith have to be at one o'clock on Wednesdays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mariah tell her mother about drowning Priscilla?
2. What does Faith see in her dreams on the night of August 30?
3. How is Faith injured at the circus?
4. What happened the first time Mariah found Colin in bed with another woman?
5. Why did Mariah not tell anyone she was pregnant when she went to Greenhaven?
6. Why does Mariah agree to take Faith to the library to get the book her guard told her about?
7. What questions does Dr. Keller ask when she presents Faith's case at a psychiatric symposium?
8. How does a clown entertain Faith before the show?
9. Why is Dr. De Vries qualified to diagnose Faith's illness?
10. What does Faith realize when her mother begins saying, "Oh, God. God. Oh my God."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, Faith's hands begin to bleed for no apparent reason. Argue why these wounds are or are not stigmata. Use arguments the characters use in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, Millie tells Mariah that Faith will see her through the crises in Mariah's life. Explain whether Millie means Faith, the child; faith, a belief in something; or that both faith and Faith will see Mariah through the troubles in her life. Also explain how Millie believes Faith and/or faith will help Mariah.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, the author begins with a quote from Ian Fletcher that says, "Sure, lots of people believe in God. Lots of people used to believe the world was flat, too." Explain the meaning of this phrase and why Ian would compare a belief in God to a belief that the world is flat.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)