|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On September 29, what wakes Faith in the night?
2. Why does Faith want to go to the library?
3. How long does Colin wait before he files for divorce?
4. On September 20, how long had it been since Mariah worked on her dollhouses?
5. What book does a college librarian recommend that Mariah read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mariah's dream when she cannot visit Faith in the hospital.
2. Why should Mariah and Faith not have been home when her mother called?
3. What did Mariah do when she attended a circus the year she was seven?
4. Why does James Wilton tell Ian Fletcher that now would be a good time to start praying?
5. Why does Father MacReady think Faith sees God as female?
6. Why does Mariah want Faith to talk to a Priest?
7. How does Mariah have to give Faith her Risperdal?
8. Why did Ian's grandmother wear her religion like a Kevlar vest?
9. How is Faith injured at the circus?
10. What does Ian tell Mariah about his childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel, Millie tells Mariah that Faith will see her through the crises in Mariah's life. Explain whether Millie means Faith, the child; faith, a belief in something; or that both faith and Faith will see Mariah through the troubles in her life. Also explain how Millie believes Faith and/or faith will help Mariah.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses both first person and third person point of view in the novel. Discuss whether you learn more about Mariah through the portions of the novel that are written in third or in first person.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether a faith in God is a blind faith. Use examples from the novel to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,625 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)