|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1997, who invited Ian to his home?
2. What did Millie call days when she would let Mariah skip school?
3. In August, why is Colin at a playground during the lunch hour?
4. What does Faith say to Ian in the emergency room after her grandmother collapses?
5. What is the name of Ian's company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Ian believe that Michael was healed?
2. What does Joan Standish say in Mariah's defense at the custody hearing?
3. Why is Father Joseph MacReady stunned when only eight people attend early morning mass?
4. Describe Mariah's dream when she cannot visit Faith in the hospital.
5. Why does Mariah agree to take Faith to the library to get the book her guard told her about?
6. What does the MotherGod Society do when they first hear of Bishop Andrews' official denunciation of Faith?
7. What does Ian say about Mariah on the witness stand?
8. What reasons does Ian give for calling Allen McManus?
9. Why does Kenzie call Mariah at early in the morning on December 2?
10. Why did Ian's grandmother wear her religion like a Kevlar vest?
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether a faith in God is a blind faith. Use examples from the novel to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Mariah explains that she leaves nothing to chance with her dollhouses because she nails everything down so nothing can move, get lost, or be damaged. Explain whether or not Mariah tried to leave nothing to chance in her life when she was married to Colin.
Essay Topic 3
For Christians, the Old Testament of the Bible represents the old covenant between man and God, and the New Testament represents a new covenant between man and God. Explain why the author might have divided the book into two parts: "The Old Testament" and "The New Testament".
This section contains 1,665 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)