|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What show do Mariah and Millie watch on September 6?
2. What does Faith's guard say about a pain Faith has the night of September 29?
3. What book does a college librarian recommend that Mariah read?
4. What magazine in July, 1997, featured Ian on the cover?
5. Mariah reads a book at a college library. Who does she read about from Lourdes, France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rabbi Weissman say about Faith's vision?
2. Why does Mariah agree to take Faith to the library to get the book her guard told her about?
3. What happened to Mariah's kitten when she was eight?
4. Why is Dr. De Vries qualified to diagnose Faith's illness?
5. How is Faith injured at the circus?
6. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
7. What are certain things that Mariah does not like to talk about?
8. Why should Mariah and Faith not have been home when her mother called?
9. In Chapter 3, does Mariah believe that Faith may be talking to God?
10. How does the librarian figure out what book Faith wants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, the author begins with a quote from Ian Fletcher that says, "Sure, lots of people believe in God. Lots of people used to believe the world was flat, too." Explain the meaning of this phrase and why Ian would compare a belief in God to a belief that the world is flat.
Essay Topic 2
Several "miracles" happen in the novel. The author recounts Millie's apparent death from a heart attack, a couple who reconcile, a baby that is healed, and Ian's autistic brother. Using arguments that the characters use in the novel, argue whether or not any of these incidents could be considered miracles.
Essay Topic 3
For Christians, the Old Testament of the Bible represents the old covenant between man and God, and the New Testament represents a new covenant between man and God. Explain why the author might have divided the book into two parts: "The Old Testament" and "The New Testament".
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)