|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mariah find at home when she picks Faith up from school on September 30?
2. What does Jessica tell Colin at the beginning of September?
3. Who is assigned to cover a psychiatric symposium?
4. How many dollhouses has Mariah built?
5. What does Faith ride at the circus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the first time Mariah found Colin in bed with another woman?
2. In Chapter 3, does Mariah believe that Faith may be talking to God?
3. Why does Mariah want Faith to talk to a Priest?
4. How is Faith injured at the circus?
5. Why does Mariah agree to take Faith to the library to get the book her guard told her about?
6. What are certain things that Mariah does not like to talk about?
7. How does Mariah have to give Faith her Risperdal?
8. Describe Mariah's home.
9. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
10. Why should Mariah and Faith not have been home when her mother called?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of Chapter 15, Picoult uses a quote from Sophocles. Explain how the novel shows that "[c]hildren are the anchors that hold a mother to life."
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Mariah explains that she leaves nothing to chance with her dollhouses because she nails everything down so nothing can move, get lost, or be damaged. Explain whether or not Mariah tried to leave nothing to chance in her life when she was married to Colin.
Essay Topic 3
Motherhood is a frequent theme in the novel. At one point, Millie states that motherhood is a work in process. Discuss whether motherhood is or is not a work process.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)