|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Mariah's kitten when she was eight?
2. What does Faith do to her grandmother when she gets to the room where her grandmother lies dead?
3. What color clothing do the members of the Order of the Great Passion wear?
4. On September 29, what wakes Faith in the night?
5. What happens to Millie after talking to Ian Fletcher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ian pretending to testify as a witness for Metz?
2. What does Joan Standish say in Mariah's defense at the custody hearing?
3. What does Faith see in her dreams on the night of August 30?
4. Why does Mariah get extremely angry when Ian takes Faith fishing?
5. Why does Mariah tell her mother about drowning Priscilla?
6. How does Metz win his cases?
7. What happened to Mariah's kitten when she was eight?
8. Why does James Wilton tell Ian Fletcher that now would be a good time to start praying?
9. What does Kenzie see when she goes to the White's home?
10. Why did Ian's grandmother wear her religion like a Kevlar vest?
Essay Topic 1
For Christians, the Old Testament of the Bible represents the old covenant between man and God, and the New Testament represents a new covenant between man and God. Explain why the author might have divided the book into two parts: "The Old Testament" and "The New Testament".
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Chapter 15, Picoult uses a quote from Sophocles. Explain how the novel shows that "[c]hildren are the anchors that hold a mother to life."
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Faith's hands begin to bleed for no apparent reason. Argue why these wounds are or are not stigmata. Use arguments the characters use in the novel.
This section contains 1,658 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)