|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faith have to be at one o'clock on Wednesdays?
2. What has Mariah's mother just purchased at the beginning of the novel?
3. Who do Marian and Faith find at home when they return?
4. Who does Rabbi Weissman see after the last counseling session he has with a couple?
5. Who does Millie want Mariah to talk to about Faith's vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mariah do when she attended a circus the year she was seven?
2. Why does James Wilton tell Ian Fletcher that now would be a good time to start praying?
3. When is the only time Mariah remembers Faith asking about God?
4. How does Mariah have to give Faith her Risperdal?
5. What questions does Dr. Keller ask when she presents Faith's case at a psychiatric symposium?
6. Why is Dr. De Vries qualified to diagnose Faith's illness?
7. How is Faith injured at the circus?
8. What happened to Mariah's kitten when she was eight?
9. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
10. What happened the first time Mariah found Colin in bed with another woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mariah hires Joan Standish to handle her divorce from Colin, Joan says that Colin has done Mariah a favor this time. Explain what Joan means by this statement and argue whether Colin did or did not do Mariah a favor by filing for divorce.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Chapter 15, Picoult uses a quote from Sophocles. Explain how the novel shows that "[c]hildren are the anchors that hold a mother to life."
Essay Topic 3
Although Mariah White might be considered the main character in the novel, other characters might also be considered a main character. Explain what other character(s) are vital to the development and resolution of the conflict and why they might be a main character.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)