|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Colin and Mariah meet?
2. What was the name of Mariah's kitten when she was eight?
3. What group of people come to New Canaan looking for a Messiah?
4. What does Faith ride at the circus?
5. What does Mariah hear in the night when she thinks she hears Colin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
2. Why did Teresa Civernos decide to contact Petra Saganoff?
3. Why does Malcom Metz say that the custody of Faith is a life and death matter?
4. How does Father MacReady explain the words that Faith was speaking when she collapsed because her hands and side were bleeding?
5. How does Metz win his cases?
6. What did Mariah do as a child when a classmate told her she would go to hell if she was not baptized?
7. Why does Father Joseph call Monsignor O'Shaughnessy?
8. Why is Ian pretending to testify as a witness for Metz?
9. What happened to Mariah's kitten when she was eight?
10. Why should Mariah and Faith not have been home when her mother called?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On August 30, Faith "knows that truth can cause a sharp pain behind your eyes and that love sometimes feels like a fist around your throat. Explain how truth can cause pain and how love can be compared to a fist around the throat. Use examples from the novel that show when Faith might have experienced times when truth was painful and times when love felt like it was strangling her.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, characters question whether God and the supernatural are real. Choose one of the characters from the novel and use their arguments to argue whether God and the supernatural are real or not. Use examples and dialogue that the character uses in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, the author begins with a quote from Ian Fletcher that says, "Sure, lots of people believe in God. Lots of people used to believe the world was flat, too." Explain the meaning of this phrase and why Ian would compare a belief in God to a belief that the world is flat.
This section contains 1,690 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)