|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does a college librarian recommend that Mariah read?
2. What is the name of Ian's company?
3. What network picks up the story about Faith's grandmother?
4. What happened to Mariah's kitten when she was eight?
5. Who does Rabbi Weissman see after the last counseling session he has with a couple?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is the only time Mariah remembers Faith asking about God?
2. How does a clown entertain Faith before the show?
3. Why does James Wilton tell Ian Fletcher that now would be a good time to start praying?
4. Describe Mariah's home.
5. What does Rabbi Weissman say about Faith's vision?
6. Why is Dr. De Vries qualified to diagnose Faith's illness?
7. What questions does Dr. Keller ask when she presents Faith's case at a psychiatric symposium?
8. What are certain things that Mariah does not like to talk about?
9. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
10. Why, from the beginning, did Mariah believe that she and Colin were not meant to be together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel, Millie tells Mariah that Faith will see her through the crises in Mariah's life. Explain whether Millie means Faith, the child; faith, a belief in something; or that both faith and Faith will see Mariah through the troubles in her life. Also explain how Millie believes Faith and/or faith will help Mariah.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, Faith's hands begin to bleed for no apparent reason. Argue why these wounds are or are not stigmata. Use arguments the characters use in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
For Christians, the Old Testament of the Bible represents the old covenant between man and God, and the New Testament represents a new covenant between man and God. Explain why the author might have divided the book into two parts: "The Old Testament" and "The New Testament".
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)