|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mariah find at home when she picks Faith up from school on September 30?
2. What book did Ian write in 1997?
3. In August, why is Colin at a playground during the lunch hour?
4. What is Colin's job?
5. Where was Mariah's mother living seven years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is the only time Mariah remembers Faith asking about God?
2. In Chapter 3, does Mariah believe that Faith may be talking to God?
3. What happened the first time Mariah found Colin in bed with another woman?
4. What does Faith realize when her mother begins saying, "Oh, God. God. Oh my God."?
5. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
6. Why is Dr. De Vries qualified to diagnose Faith's illness?
7. What questions does Dr. Keller ask when she presents Faith's case at a psychiatric symposium?
8. How does the librarian figure out what book Faith wants?
9. Why did Mariah not tell anyone she was pregnant when she went to Greenhaven?
10. How does Mariah have to give Faith her Risperdal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of Chapter 1, the author quotes Milton saying, "Millions of spiritual creatures walk the earth [u]nseen, both when we wake and when we sleep." How is the quote a theme in the novel? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
A common topic of discussion in the novel is Mariah's and Colin's relationship and failed marriage. Discuss the factors that played a part in the failure of Mariah's and Colin's marriage. Was one of them more to blame than the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether a faith in God is a blind faith. Use examples from the novel to support your arguments.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)