|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faith's guard say about a pain Faith has the night of September 29?
2. What network picks up the story about Faith's grandmother?
3. What does an MRI and a CT scan reveal about Faith?
4. On September 20, how long had it been since Mariah worked on her dollhouses?
5. What is Mariah's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mariah tell her mother about drowning Priscilla?
2. Why should Mariah and Faith not have been home when her mother called?
3. Why does James Wilton tell Ian Fletcher that now would be a good time to start praying?
4. What happened the first time Mariah found Colin in bed with another woman?
5. Describe Mariah's home.
6. How does the librarian figure out what book Faith wants?
7. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
8. When is the only time Mariah remembers Faith asking about God?
9. Why did Mariah not tell anyone she was pregnant when she went to Greenhaven?
10. What are certain things that Mariah does not like to talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Motherhood is a frequent theme in the novel. At one point, Millie states that motherhood is a work in process. Discuss whether motherhood is or is not a work process.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, the author begins with a quote from Ian Fletcher that says, "Sure, lots of people believe in God. Lots of people used to believe the world was flat, too." Explain the meaning of this phrase and why Ian would compare a belief in God to a belief that the world is flat.
Essay Topic 3
At one point in the novel, Millie tells Mariah that Faith will see her through the crises in Mariah's life. Explain whether Millie means Faith, the child; faith, a belief in something; or that both faith and Faith will see Mariah through the troubles in her life. Also explain how Millie believes Faith and/or faith will help Mariah.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)