|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Faith had not spoken since her father left. What is the first word that she says?
2. In 1997, who invited Ian to his home?
3. Mariah reads a book at a college library. Who does she read about from Lourdes, France?
4. Why does Faith want to go to the library?
5. What does Faith ride at the circus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the first time Mariah found Colin in bed with another woman?
2. What did Mariah do when she attended a circus the year she was seven?
3. What does Rabbi Weissman say about Faith's vision?
4. How does the librarian figure out what book Faith wants?
5. When is the only time Mariah remembers Faith asking about God?
6. Why did Mariah not tell anyone she was pregnant when she went to Greenhaven?
7. What does Faith realize when her mother begins saying, "Oh, God. God. Oh my God."?
8. In Chapter 3, does Mariah believe that Faith may be talking to God?
9. Describe Mariah's home.
10. Why does Mariah's mother tell her that Faith will help her get through this crisis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses both first person and third person point of view in the novel. Discuss whether you learn more about Mariah through the portions of the novel that are written in third or in first person.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Chapter 11, is a quote from Isaiah 40:18, "To whom then will ye like God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?" Explain why Faith may see God as a female.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether a faith in God is a blind faith. Use examples from the novel to support your arguments.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)