|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Katherine has great reservations about marrying Robert Sutton, now one of Lincoln's "foremost citizens". Why?
2. What does Father Oswald suggest for Katherine?
3. How does Katherine feel about being back at Kettlethorpe?
4. Where does Katherine feel she should now return?
5. What does Brother William say John Ball is now preaching to the serfs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What state of mind is the duke now in?
2. When the news arrives that Trastamare and the king of France are dead, Spain and France are essentially both leaderless. The throne of Castile is now within the duke's grasp. Although Katherine worries about being around Costanza, what does she realize most about the duke's ambitions?
3. Katherine goes to the Pessoners for safety. What she discover there?
4. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
5. It is ironic that Katherine goes back to Kettlethorpe?
6. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
7. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
8. The Duke has grown quite mad with his obsession over his heritage. While Katherine talks to him, she learns that someone is at the root of John's fears. Who is this person?
9. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
10. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it ironic that in Bordeaux, while Katherine tends to her ailing husband and the duke declares his undying love for her, she says she cannot be unfaithful to Hugh? Talk about the internal, emotional tug-of-war that Katherine experiences when it comes to her love for the duke and her feelings toward her abusive husband Hugh.
Essay Topic 2
Anya Seton's "Katherine" is what is commonly referred to as historical fiction. In the "Author's Note", she says that she never distorted time, place or characters to suit her fiction. She did copious research in writing the story. She could have written about the famous Duke of Lancaster. "And yet Katherine was extremely important to English history". Why do you think she wrote this story? What do you think she wanted people to understand most about Katherine? About woman in medieval England? About English history?
Essay Topic 3
Despite his charisma, John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster, has many insecurities. Describe these insecurities and how they shape his character.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)