|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. King Richard rides right up the front line of rebels and tells them that he is now their leader as they wished him to be. How do the rebels react?
2. At Our Lady of Walsingham's shrine, what miracle does Katherine pray for?
3. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
4. Right before John leaves for Scotland, Katherine has a fit and says:
5. What worries Katherine when she learns that both Trastamare and King Charles of France have died?
Short Essay Questions
1. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
2. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
3. Why does Katherine risk revealing her true identity in front of the other peasants in order to save Cob?
4. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
5. What comment does Baron de la Pole make about Katherine that displeases the duke but might be very true politically?
6. When the news arrives that Trastamare and the king of France are dead, Spain and France are essentially both leaderless. The throne of Castile is now within the duke's grasp. Although Katherine worries about being around Costanza, what does she realize most about the duke's ambitions?
7. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
8. Describe Katherine's appearance after she decides she is responsible for the friar's death and her daughter's disappearance.
9. It is ironic that Katherine goes back to Kettlethorpe?
10. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nirac the Gascon and loyal servant to the Duke of Lancaster is one of the more interesting characters in the entire story. Loyalty is a theme that recurs throughout the story on many levels. Explain why Nirac is originally very loyal to the duke and why that loyalty is eventually tested. Could things have turned out differently for Nirac?
Essay Topic 2
At the start of Katherine's story, she leaves the convent for the Queen's court in the company of two nuns and the lustful Long Will. Katherine has great hopes for her life and for finding love. Yet the author writes: "It was a sad pity she could hope for no great marriage". Why does the author say this? Is Katherine doomed?
Essay Topic 3
What are your thoughts on King Richard? Although he's very young, is he cleverer than he leads others to think? In the end, from what you know after reading this story, does he get what he deserves? Or did he end up being another victim in the royal infighting?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)