|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Richard of Bordeaux when he's coronated?
2. Katherine manages to stop the duke on his rampage by telling him she no longer wears his ring because:
3. What happens when Richard asks Thomas Swynford to try on the heavy crown?
4. In a conversation with Katherine, Brother William tells her that Pieter and the two monks have been banished to Cyprus. He also tells her to:
5. Who tries to help Katherine and Blanchette escape from the angry mobs?
Short Essay Questions
1. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
2. What comment does Baron de la Pole make about Katherine that displeases the duke but might be very true politically?
3. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
4. Who is Lady Julian and what does she help Katherine do?
5. Does Katherine have a "happy ever after" ending?
6. While Katherine stays in a pilgrim hostel in Waltham, she learns that the king will soon be arriving there, too. What do some of the people there believe the king will be doing?
7. Although Katherine and the duke are still not married, they openly show their relationship. What are some examples of how they do that?
8. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
9. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
10. Katherine goes to the Pessoners for safety. What she discover there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Katherine go back to Kettlethorpe? Why is it important that this is where she and the duke reunite and eventually marry?
Essay Topic 2
Anya Seton's "Katherine" is what is commonly referred to as historical fiction. In the "Author's Note", she says that she never distorted time, place or characters to suit her fiction. She did copious research in writing the story. She could have written about the famous Duke of Lancaster. "And yet Katherine was extremely important to English history". Why do you think she wrote this story? What do you think she wanted people to understand most about Katherine? About woman in medieval England? About English history?
Essay Topic 3
Brother William the friar is an interesting and important character until his death. Why does he harbor suspicions and resentment toward Katherine? And despite this, why does he stay in service to the duke? How would Katherine's life turned out differently if Brother William had not told her of his beliefs regarding Hugh's death?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)