|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocking news does Katherine learn about the king's plans?
2. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine, he brings with him a letter from his father. On it is a seal which indicates:
3. John Ball leads mobs across England, demanding the heads of:
4. What worries Katherine when she learns that both Trastamare and King Charles of France have died?
5. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Alice Perrers is free again and with the king, this status is short-lived when what happens? And what does she do?
2. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
3. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
4. Although Katherine and the duke are still not married, they openly show their relationship. What are some examples of how they do that?
5. Katherine regains her memory of the events following Brother William's death and the flight of Blanchette. Where and to whom does she go to seek help in finding Blanchette?
6. What state of mind is the duke now in?
7. Does Katherine have a "happy ever after" ending?
8. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
9. Describe Katherine's appearance after she decides she is responsible for the friar's death and her daughter's disappearance.
10. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are numerous ironic moments and events in this story, but by far, one of the most ironic is the friendship that develops between Katherine and Blanche, the Duchess of Lancaster. Explain how this friendship starts, how the two women get along, and why in the end it is deeply ironic.
Essay Topic 2
Is it ironic that in Bordeaux, while Katherine tends to her ailing husband and the duke declares his undying love for her, she says she cannot be unfaithful to Hugh? Talk about the internal, emotional tug-of-war that Katherine experiences when it comes to her love for the duke and her feelings toward her abusive husband Hugh.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances in which Katherine and Costanza finally meet, and the duke's reaction (or lack of reaction) to the meeting. How does Seton portray these two women? Are they both sympathetic characters? Pathetic characters? Likeable? And in what light does she cast the duke in this instance?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)