|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Savoy explodes and peasants pillage its wine cellars, Cob stares at Katherine lying unconscious on the ground. He considers stealing her purse but stops. Why?
2. What initially saves Katherine and Blanchette from the mob when they break into the palace?
3. What does Richard do after the Duke of Lancaster's death?
4. Katherine's daughter Joan says her brother Thomas hates the king, saying he describes the king as:
5. How old is Katherine now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are numerous ironic moments and events in this story, but by far, one of the most ironic is the friendship that develops between Katherine and Blanche, the Duchess of Lancaster. Explain how this friendship starts, how the two women get along, and why in the end it is deeply ironic.
Essay Topic 2
Is it ironic that in Bordeaux, while Katherine tends to her ailing husband and the duke declares his undying love for her, she says she cannot be unfaithful to Hugh? Talk about the internal, emotional tug-of-war that Katherine experiences when it comes to her love for the duke and her feelings toward her abusive husband Hugh.
Essay Topic 3
By the time John Ball has led mobs of angry peasants into London, it's clear that there is a great disconnect between the royals and the serfs. The serfs are fed up with their lot and can no longer take it. Can you think of protest in American history that is similar to the peasant's protests against the poll tax and feudalism of medieval England?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)