|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What controversial statement does John Wyclef make about the sacredness of Mass?
2. What initially saves Katherine and Blanchette from the mob when they break into the palace?
3. Katherine receives a letter from the duke in which he requests she bring his daughter Philippa to Savoy for what reason?
4. Who tries to help Katherine and Blanchette escape from the angry mobs?
5. At Our Lady of Walsingham's shrine, what miracle does Katherine pray for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Katherine have a "happy ever after" ending?
2. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
3. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
4. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
5. It is ironic that Katherine goes back to Kettlethorpe?
6. Why does Katherine risk revealing her true identity in front of the other peasants in order to save Cob?
7. Who is Lady Julian and what does she help Katherine do?
8. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
9. Where is Katherine now?
10. Katherine regains her memory of the events following Brother William's death and the flight of Blanchette. Where and to whom does she go to seek help in finding Blanchette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nirac the Gascon and loyal servant to the Duke of Lancaster is one of the more interesting characters in the entire story. Loyalty is a theme that recurs throughout the story on many levels. Explain why Nirac is originally very loyal to the duke and why that loyalty is eventually tested. Could things have turned out differently for Nirac?
Essay Topic 2
There are numerous ironic moments and events in this story, but by far, one of the most ironic is the friendship that develops between Katherine and Blanche, the Duchess of Lancaster. Explain how this friendship starts, how the two women get along, and why in the end it is deeply ironic.
Essay Topic 3
Anya Seton's "Katherine" is what is commonly referred to as historical fiction. In the "Author's Note", she says that she never distorted time, place or characters to suit her fiction. She did copious research in writing the story. She could have written about the famous Duke of Lancaster. "And yet Katherine was extremely important to English history". Why do you think she wrote this story? What do you think she wanted people to understand most about Katherine? About woman in medieval England? About English history?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)