|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is John Ball punished for inciting revolt against the poll tax?
2. Lady Julian helps Katherine realize and feel the real love of God. Katherine then surprises herself by returning to:
3. Where is the trial of John Wyclef held, and why there?
4. As the Savoy explodes and peasants pillage its wine cellars, Cob stares at Katherine lying unconscious on the ground. He considers stealing her purse but stops. Why?
5. Whose life does Katherine save during the king's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Katherine now?
2. The Duke has grown quite mad with his obsession over his heritage. While Katherine talks to him, she learns that someone is at the root of John's fears. Who is this person?
3. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
4. Describe Katherine's appearance after she decides she is responsible for the friar's death and her daughter's disappearance.
5. While Katherine stays in a pilgrim hostel in Waltham, she learns that the king will soon be arriving there, too. What do some of the people there believe the king will be doing?
6. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
7. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
8. Katherine goes to the Pessoners for safety. What she discover there?
9. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
10. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are your thoughts on King Richard? Although he's very young, is he cleverer than he leads others to think? In the end, from what you know after reading this story, does he get what he deserves? Or did he end up being another victim in the royal infighting?
Essay Topic 2
Is it ironic that in Bordeaux, while Katherine tends to her ailing husband and the duke declares his undying love for her, she says she cannot be unfaithful to Hugh? Talk about the internal, emotional tug-of-war that Katherine experiences when it comes to her love for the duke and her feelings toward her abusive husband Hugh.
Essay Topic 3
Religion plays a large role in the daily lives of people in the middle ages. Explain how two of Katherine's experiences--when she sees the "pyx" pass the Chaucer home and when Hugh's sword falls to the floor at the abbey-- demonstrate this point.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)