|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Richard asks Thomas Swynford to try on the heavy crown?
2. Where is Costanza while the duke and Katherine publicly travel around England together?
3. In a conversation with Katherine, Brother William tells her that Pieter and the two monks have been banished to Cyprus. He also tells her to:
4. Who is now the master at Kettlethorpe?
5. Right before Brother William dies, what does he tell Katherine about Hugh's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
2. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
3. How does Thomas, Katherine's first child and her son with Hugh, feel about her?
4. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
5. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
6. What state of mind is the duke now in?
7. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
8. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
9. Katherine goes to the Pessoners for safety. What she discover there?
10. What comment does Baron de la Pole make about Katherine that displeases the duke but might be very true politically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the start of Katherine's story, she leaves the convent for the Queen's court in the company of two nuns and the lustful Long Will. Katherine has great hopes for her life and for finding love. Yet the author writes: "It was a sad pity she could hope for no great marriage". Why does the author say this? Is Katherine doomed?
Essay Topic 2
When Katherine first arrives at the castle with Blanche's funereal procession, the king is described as sad. not just because of the Duchess's death, but also because he recently became a widower himself. Yet, a short while later, the king's mistress, Alice Perrers, turns the royal dinner, held ostensibly to honor the life of Blanche, into a circus. First, describe the dinner setting. Although Alice doesn't have an official title or rank in the royal court, does this event demonstrate power she has over the king, and therefore also over the court?
Essay Topic 3
Despite his charisma, John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster, has many insecurities. Describe these insecurities and how they shape his character.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)