|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Right before Brother William dies, what does he tell Katherine about Hugh's death?
2. What initially saves Katherine and Blanchette from the mob when they break into the palace?
3. At one point, Cob whispers to himself: "I didn't rightly believe 'twould ever happen." What did he not believe would happen?
4. John Ball leads mobs across England, demanding the heads of:
5. While staying at the Pessoners' home for her safety, Katherine discovers that Hawise's husband is gathering arms to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Katherine's appearance after she decides she is responsible for the friar's death and her daughter's disappearance.
2. While Katherine stays in a pilgrim hostel in Waltham, she learns that the king will soon be arriving there, too. What do some of the people there believe the king will be doing?
3. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
4. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
5. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
6. What does the duke learn when he is denied re-entry into England?
7. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
8. Why does Katherine risk revealing her true identity in front of the other peasants in order to save Cob?
9. When the news arrives that Trastamare and the king of France are dead, Spain and France are essentially both leaderless. The throne of Castile is now within the duke's grasp. Although Katherine worries about being around Costanza, what does she realize most about the duke's ambitions?
10. Katherine regains her memory of the events following Brother William's death and the flight of Blanchette. Where and to whom does she go to seek help in finding Blanchette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Katherine's long romance with the duke starts shortly after Hugh dies. However, there are already indications that their romance will be ill-fated. What lies ahead that makes them an ill-fated pair?
Essay Topic 2
By the time John Ball has led mobs of angry peasants into London, it's clear that there is a great disconnect between the royals and the serfs. The serfs are fed up with their lot and can no longer take it. Can you think of protest in American history that is similar to the peasant's protests against the poll tax and feudalism of medieval England?
Essay Topic 3
Symbols play a great part in the lives of people during the medieval years. Choose three symbols from the story and explain their significance to the characters involved.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)