|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brother William say John Ball is now preaching to the serfs?
2. As the Savoy explodes and peasants pillage its wine cellars, Cob stares at Katherine lying unconscious on the ground. He considers stealing her purse but stops. Why?
3. Katherine and John visit Hugh's tomb. After which, what happens?
4. Who is now the master at Kettlethorpe?
5. King Richard and his queen are about to travel through England on a goodwill tour to boost his popularity. Their visit to Lincoln will be their first in how many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
2. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
3. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
4. Where is Katherine now?
5. It is ironic that Katherine goes back to Kettlethorpe?
6. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
7. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
8. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
9. Why does Katherine risk revealing her true identity in front of the other peasants in order to save Cob?
10. Who is Lady Julian and what does she help Katherine do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Katherine first arrives at the castle with Blanche's funereal procession, the king is described as sad. not just because of the Duchess's death, but also because he recently became a widower himself. Yet, a short while later, the king's mistress, Alice Perrers, turns the royal dinner, held ostensibly to honor the life of Blanche, into a circus. First, describe the dinner setting. Although Alice doesn't have an official title or rank in the royal court, does this event demonstrate power she has over the king, and therefore also over the court?
Essay Topic 2
Katherine versus Costanza. What does each woman bring to the duke? And what do we learn about the duke's ambitions and his insecurities by marrying Costanza?
Essay Topic 3
Nirac the Gascon and loyal servant to the Duke of Lancaster is one of the more interesting characters in the entire story. Loyalty is a theme that recurs throughout the story on many levels. Explain why Nirac is originally very loyal to the duke and why that loyalty is eventually tested. Could things have turned out differently for Nirac?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)