|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Our Lady of Walsingham's shrine, what miracle does Katherine pray for?
2. Richard has no heir, which raises his suspicions toward Katherine. Why?
3. Who tries to help Katherine and Blanchette escape from the angry mobs?
4. Katherine initially decides against seeing John again. But Harry convinces her to be a part of the reunion because:
5. Two nuns arrive at the castle to see Katherine. One is name Ursula, who in fact turns out to be the long-lost Blanchette. Blanchette says she has returned because:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the duke learn when he is denied re-entry into England?
2. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
3. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
4. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
5. When the news arrives that Trastamare and the king of France are dead, Spain and France are essentially both leaderless. The throne of Castile is now within the duke's grasp. Although Katherine worries about being around Costanza, what does she realize most about the duke's ambitions?
6. Although Alice Perrers is free again and with the king, this status is short-lived when what happens? And what does she do?
7. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
8. What state of mind is the duke now in?
9. How does Thomas, Katherine's first child and her son with Hugh, feel about her?
10. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are your thoughts on King Richard? Although he's very young, is he cleverer than he leads others to think? In the end, from what you know after reading this story, does he get what he deserves? Or did he end up being another victim in the royal infighting?
Essay Topic 2
Was it necessary for Katherine to punish herself so severely after the death of Brother William and the subsequent disappearance of her Blanchette? Given the manner in which she was raised, do you think that she could have handled the situation any other way?
Essay Topic 3
Symbols play a great part in the lives of people during the medieval years. Choose three symbols from the story and explain their significance to the characters involved.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)