|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomas Swynford is now nineteen and a knight. Who does he serve?
2. What announcement does Katherine make to John in the spring?
3. Henry returns to England and Richard is forced to:
4. What shocking news does Katherine learn about the king's plans?
5. The Duke challenges Percy to mortal combat. Who shows up to fight him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
2. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
3. Although Alice Perrers is free again and with the king, this status is short-lived when what happens? And what does she do?
4. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
5. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
6. What does the duke learn when he is denied re-entry into England?
7. Where is Katherine now?
8. Katherine regains her memory of the events following Brother William's death and the flight of Blanchette. Where and to whom does she go to seek help in finding Blanchette?
9. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
10. How does Thomas, Katherine's first child and her son with Hugh, feel about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Nirac had any concept that putting the poison in Hugh's medicine would have such far-reaching consequences? By the time he dies, do you think he had any regrets about his past actions? Or does he feel he has done everything with honor?
Essay Topic 2
Katherine's long romance with the duke starts shortly after Hugh dies. However, there are already indications that their romance will be ill-fated. What lies ahead that makes them an ill-fated pair?
Essay Topic 3
Fate is a theme that threads throughout the novel. Despite Katherine's dislike for Hugh, she resigns herself to marrying him. How does this example illustrate the concept of accepting one's fate?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)