|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John realize is causing his insanity?
2. Where does Richard die?
3. Because Katherine doesn't deny that she had hoped for Hugh's death, what does Blanchette now believe?
4. Where is the trial of John Wyclef held, and why there?
5. The king reads the message from John and decides:
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lady Julian and what does she help Katherine do?
2. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
3. Katherine regains her memory of the events following Brother William's death and the flight of Blanchette. Where and to whom does she go to seek help in finding Blanchette?
4. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
5. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
6. When the news arrives that Trastamare and the king of France are dead, Spain and France are essentially both leaderless. The throne of Castile is now within the duke's grasp. Although Katherine worries about being around Costanza, what does she realize most about the duke's ambitions?
7. Where is Katherine now?
8. The Duke has grown quite mad with his obsession over his heritage. While Katherine talks to him, she learns that someone is at the root of John's fears. Who is this person?
9. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
10. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Katherine go back to Kettlethorpe? Why is it important that this is where she and the duke reunite and eventually marry?
Essay Topic 2
Katherine versus Costanza. What does each woman bring to the duke? And what do we learn about the duke's ambitions and his insecurities by marrying Costanza?
Essay Topic 3
Nirac the Gascon and loyal servant to the Duke of Lancaster is one of the more interesting characters in the entire story. Loyalty is a theme that recurs throughout the story on many levels. Explain why Nirac is originally very loyal to the duke and why that loyalty is eventually tested. Could things have turned out differently for Nirac?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)