|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cob do to reawaken the unconscious Katherine?
2. In a conversation with Katherine, Brother William tells her that Pieter and the two monks have been banished to Cyprus. He also tells her to:
3. Who offers to take a message to the king on John's behalf?
4. Richard has no heir, which raises his suspicions toward Katherine. Why?
5. Who orders Katherine to Kennington?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
2. The Duke has grown quite mad with his obsession over his heritage. While Katherine talks to him, she learns that someone is at the root of John's fears. Who is this person?
3. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
4. Who is Lady Julian and what does she help Katherine do?
5. Although Katherine and the duke are still not married, they openly show their relationship. What are some examples of how they do that?
6. While Katherine stays in a pilgrim hostel in Waltham, she learns that the king will soon be arriving there, too. What do some of the people there believe the king will be doing?
7. Where is Katherine now?
8. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
9. Katherine goes to the Pessoners for safety. What she discover there?
10. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was it necessary for Katherine to punish herself so severely after the death of Brother William and the subsequent disappearance of her Blanchette? Given the manner in which she was raised, do you think that she could have handled the situation any other way?
Essay Topic 2
Despite his charisma, John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster, has many insecurities. Describe these insecurities and how they shape his character.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Nirac had any concept that putting the poison in Hugh's medicine would have such far-reaching consequences? By the time he dies, do you think he had any regrets about his past actions? Or does he feel he has done everything with honor?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)