|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to help Katherine and Blanchette escape from the angry mobs?
2. What controversial statement does John Wyclef make about the sacredness of Mass?
3. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
4. Who does Philippa call an "ill-tempered virgin"?
5. In a quiet, blissful moment, John and Katherine hear a shrill trumpet followed by the sight of a king's herald galloping toward the castle. John's tone changes into a "down-dragging voice". Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
2. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
3. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
4. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
5. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
6. Who is Lady Julian and what does she help Katherine do?
7. Describe Katherine's appearance after she decides she is responsible for the friar's death and her daughter's disappearance.
8. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
9. While Katherine stays in a pilgrim hostel in Waltham, she learns that the king will soon be arriving there, too. What do some of the people there believe the king will be doing?
10. What state of mind is the duke now in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Katherine's long romance with the duke starts shortly after Hugh dies. However, there are already indications that their romance will be ill-fated. What lies ahead that makes them an ill-fated pair?
Essay Topic 2
Religion plays a large role in the daily lives of people in the middle ages. Explain how two of Katherine's experiences--when she sees the "pyx" pass the Chaucer home and when Hugh's sword falls to the floor at the abbey-- demonstrate this point.
Essay Topic 3
Nirac the Gascon and loyal servant to the Duke of Lancaster is one of the more interesting characters in the entire story. Loyalty is a theme that recurs throughout the story on many levels. Explain why Nirac is originally very loyal to the duke and why that loyalty is eventually tested. Could things have turned out differently for Nirac?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)