|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John turn down the idea that he should stay in Scotland because the people here love him and will likely give him an army?
2. What does Father Oswald refuse to grant Katherine after she confesses?
3. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
4. Guy Pessoner visits Katherine and tells her that the king, Princess Joan, the archbishop, the treasurer, and a few other lords have hidden themselves in the tower because:
5. Katherine tries to get John to reveal the root of his fear. When he feels he can completely trust her with what is troubling him, he says her:
Short Essay Questions
1. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
2. Where is Katherine now?
3. How does Thomas, Katherine's first child and her son with Hugh, feel about her?
4. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
5. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
6. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
7. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
8. Although Alice Perrers is free again and with the king, this status is short-lived when what happens? And what does she do?
9. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
10. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fate is a theme that threads throughout the novel. Despite Katherine's dislike for Hugh, she resigns herself to marrying him. How does this example illustrate the concept of accepting one's fate?
Essay Topic 2
Symbols play a great part in the lives of people during the medieval years. Choose three symbols from the story and explain their significance to the characters involved.
Essay Topic 3
Was it necessary for Katherine to punish herself so severely after the death of Brother William and the subsequent disappearance of her Blanchette? Given the manner in which she was raised, do you think that she could have handled the situation any other way?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)