|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
2. Katherine visits the Pessoner home only to be suddenly called away by:
3. Initially, John tells Katherine he has called for her because:
4. What does Roger DeCheyne ask Katherine for?
5. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
2. What is Richard's reaction when the duke--who calls himself King of Castile--pledges his allegiance to him? Why?
3. Katherine's sister Philippa is engaged to the writer Geoffrey Chaucer and her future seems set. While Philippa is concerned about her younger sister's welfare, she's also jealous of her. Why?
4. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
5. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
6. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
7. Katherine meets her future husband Hugh Swyndon in this chapter of the story. Why does Katherine have reservations about marrying this man?
8. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
9. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
10. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the duke leaves the church where he attended a commemorative mass for Blanche, he encounters a mob that accuses him of being the son of a Flemish butcher and not the king's son. Why is this accusation so divisive? Why must the duke fight so hard to prove this accusation wrong?
Essay Topic 2
Symbols play a great part in the lives of people during the medieval years. Choose three symbols from the story and explain their significance to the characters involved.
Essay Topic 3
Nirac the Gascon and loyal servant to the Duke of Lancaster is one of the more interesting characters in the entire story. Loyalty is a theme that recurs throughout the story on many levels. Explain why Nirac is originally very loyal to the duke and why that loyalty is eventually tested. Could things have turned out differently for Nirac?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)