|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
2. When John returns to celebrate St. George's Day, what does Katherine find Hawise doing in her bedroom?
3. The Duke goes into seclusion after Blanche's burial, permitting only this person to see him:
4. When Hugh returns to Kettlethorpe from war, we discover he suffers from?
5. What does Geoffrey Chaucer feel about Katherine's relationship with John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
2. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
3. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
4. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
5. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
6. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
7. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
8. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
9. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
10. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Katherine go back to Kettlethorpe? Why is it important that this is where she and the duke reunite and eventually marry?
Essay Topic 2
When the duke leaves the church where he attended a commemorative mass for Blanche, he encounters a mob that accuses him of being the son of a Flemish butcher and not the king's son. Why is this accusation so divisive? Why must the duke fight so hard to prove this accusation wrong?
Essay Topic 3
Was it necessary for Katherine to punish herself so severely after the death of Brother William and the subsequent disappearance of her Blanchette? Given the manner in which she was raised, do you think that she could have handled the situation any other way?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)