|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katherine tell Hugh before he leaves for war?
2. Hugh takes the drink from Katherine and soon thereafter dreams of the Kettlethorpe Pooka Hound with "fiery-red eyes." What does the Pooka Hound symbolize?
3. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
4. What does Roger DeCheyne ask Katherine for?
5. Who sets the playful tone by dancing a dog on the table at Blanche's funeral dinner hosted by the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it foolish of Katherine to refuse an escort back to Kettlethorpe? Why or why not?
2. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
3. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
4. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
5. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
6. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
7. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
8. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
9. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
10. Shortly after her wedding, Katherine and Hugh stop at Waltham Abbey, where they visit a shrine containing a large black cross. What happens to Hugh at the shrine that foreshadows dark events to come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Katherine first arrives at the castle with Blanche's funereal procession, the king is described as sad. not just because of the Duchess's death, but also because he recently became a widower himself. Yet, a short while later, the king's mistress, Alice Perrers, turns the royal dinner, held ostensibly to honor the life of Blanche, into a circus. First, describe the dinner setting. Although Alice doesn't have an official title or rank in the royal court, does this event demonstrate power she has over the king, and therefore also over the court?
Essay Topic 2
Katherine's long romance with the duke starts shortly after Hugh dies. However, there are already indications that their romance will be ill-fated. What lies ahead that makes them an ill-fated pair?
Essay Topic 3
Is it ironic that in Bordeaux, while Katherine tends to her ailing husband and the duke declares his undying love for her, she says she cannot be unfaithful to Hugh? Talk about the internal, emotional tug-of-war that Katherine experiences when it comes to her love for the duke and her feelings toward her abusive husband Hugh.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)