|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugh is initially suspicious as to why the duke has forgiven his debts. When Katherine reassures him that it must be the Duke's way of thanking her for taking care of the Duchess, how does Hugh react?
2. Also at the House of Commons, Alice Perrers is accused of:
3. Who, to Katherine's dismay, is in attendance at the ceremony commemorating the death of Blanche, the duke's first wife?
4. Who is John interested in marrying?
5. Why does Hugh order Katherine to stay away from Nichola?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
2. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
3. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
4. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
5. What is Richard's reaction when the duke--who calls himself King of Castile--pledges his allegiance to him? Why?
6. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
7. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
8. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
9. Who breaks up the fight between Roger DeCheyne and Hugh Swynford? And how does Katherine react to this?
10. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are numerous ironic moments and events in this story, but by far, one of the most ironic is the friendship that develops between Katherine and Blanche, the Duchess of Lancaster. Explain how this friendship starts, how the two women get along, and why in the end it is deeply ironic.
Essay Topic 2
When Katherine first arrives at the castle with Blanche's funereal procession, the king is described as sad. not just because of the Duchess's death, but also because he recently became a widower himself. Yet, a short while later, the king's mistress, Alice Perrers, turns the royal dinner, held ostensibly to honor the life of Blanche, into a circus. First, describe the dinner setting. Although Alice doesn't have an official title or rank in the royal court, does this event demonstrate power she has over the king, and therefore also over the court?
Essay Topic 3
Is it ironic that in Bordeaux, while Katherine tends to her ailing husband and the duke declares his undying love for her, she says she cannot be unfaithful to Hugh? Talk about the internal, emotional tug-of-war that Katherine experiences when it comes to her love for the duke and her feelings toward her abusive husband Hugh.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)