|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Duke's pious daughter Philippa worries about her father's relationship with Katherine because:
2. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
3. Katherine goes back to the Pessoners' and asks Hawise to:
4. All of the duke's men are happy except for Baron de la Pole. The Baron gets sent away for openly expressing his concerns to the duke. On his way to Havering, he meets Brother William Appleton who tells him something interesting about the duke. What does he tell Baron?
5. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
2. Although Alice Perrers is free again and with the king, this status is short-lived when what happens? And what does she do?
3. Who breaks up the fight between Roger DeCheyne and Hugh Swynford? And how does Katherine react to this?
4. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
5. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
6. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
7. Katherine goes to the Pessoners for safety. What she discover there?
8. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
9. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
10. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Katherine go back to Kettlethorpe? Why is it important that this is where she and the duke reunite and eventually marry?
Essay Topic 2
Despite his charisma, John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster, has many insecurities. Describe these insecurities and how they shape his character.
Essay Topic 3
Brother William the friar is an interesting and important character until his death. Why does he harbor suspicions and resentment toward Katherine? And despite this, why does he stay in service to the duke? How would Katherine's life turned out differently if Brother William had not told her of his beliefs regarding Hugh's death?
This section contains 1,798 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)