|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the local bishop call Katherine after meeting her?
2. The Friar, Brother William, doesn't suspect Katherine of foul play in Hugh's death. Instead, he believes that:
3. After the queen finally meets Katherine, what does she order for the convent?
4. To whom is Hugh indebted?
5. How does Nirac describe Costanza's appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Katherine's sister Philippa is engaged to the writer Geoffrey Chaucer and her future seems set. While Philippa is concerned about her younger sister's welfare, she's also jealous of her. Why?
2. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
3. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
4. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
5. Who breaks up the fight between Roger DeCheyne and Hugh Swynford? And how does Katherine react to this?
6. Describe changes in Katherine now from the Katherine introduced at the start of this story:
7. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
8. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
9. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
10. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it ironic that in Bordeaux, while Katherine tends to her ailing husband and the duke declares his undying love for her, she says she cannot be unfaithful to Hugh? Talk about the internal, emotional tug-of-war that Katherine experiences when it comes to her love for the duke and her feelings toward her abusive husband Hugh.
Essay Topic 2
What are your thoughts on King Richard? Although he's very young, is he cleverer than he leads others to think? In the end, from what you know after reading this story, does he get what he deserves? Or did he end up being another victim in the royal infighting?
Essay Topic 3
Fate is a theme that threads throughout the novel. Despite Katherine's dislike for Hugh, she resigns herself to marrying him. How does this example illustrate the concept of accepting one's fate?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)