|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katherine realize about herself after hearing Geoffrey read the love poem?
2. All of the duke's men are happy except for Baron de la Pole. The Baron gets sent away for openly expressing his concerns to the duke. On his way to Havering, he meets Brother William Appleton who tells him something interesting about the duke. What does he tell Baron?
3. Nirac overhears John's declaration to Katherine. He decides to take matters into his own hands by:
4. Nirac's feelings toward Katherine go from loyalty to hatred. Resigned that he'll never be greatly admired by John, what does he do?
5. Why is Costanza eager to make a pilgrimage to Canterbury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who breaks up the fight between Roger DeCheyne and Hugh Swynford? And how does Katherine react to this?
2. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
3. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
4. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
5. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
6. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
7. Was it foolish of Katherine to refuse an escort back to Kettlethorpe? Why or why not?
8. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
9. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
10. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances in which Katherine and Costanza finally meet, and the duke's reaction (or lack of reaction) to the meeting. How does Seton portray these two women? Are they both sympathetic characters? Pathetic characters? Likeable? And in what light does she cast the duke in this instance?
Essay Topic 2
Brother William the friar is an interesting and important character until his death. Why does he harbor suspicions and resentment toward Katherine? And despite this, why does he stay in service to the duke? How would Katherine's life turned out differently if Brother William had not told her of his beliefs regarding Hugh's death?
Essay Topic 3
When Katherine first arrives at the castle with Blanche's funereal procession, the king is described as sad. not just because of the Duchess's death, but also because he recently became a widower himself. Yet, a short while later, the king's mistress, Alice Perrers, turns the royal dinner, held ostensibly to honor the life of Blanche, into a circus. First, describe the dinner setting. Although Alice doesn't have an official title or rank in the royal court, does this event demonstrate power she has over the king, and therefore also over the court?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)