|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite telling the Captal that he only loves Katherine, what must John do?
2. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
3. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
4. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
5. What mode of transport does Katherine use when leaving the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
2. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
3. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
4. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
5. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
6. Who breaks up the fight between Roger DeCheyne and Hugh Swynford? And how does Katherine react to this?
7. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
8. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
9. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
10. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the duke leaves the church where he attended a commemorative mass for Blanche, he encounters a mob that accuses him of being the son of a Flemish butcher and not the king's son. Why is this accusation so divisive? Why must the duke fight so hard to prove this accusation wrong?
Essay Topic 2
When Katherine first arrives at the castle with Blanche's funereal procession, the king is described as sad. not just because of the Duchess's death, but also because he recently became a widower himself. Yet, a short while later, the king's mistress, Alice Perrers, turns the royal dinner, held ostensibly to honor the life of Blanche, into a circus. First, describe the dinner setting. Although Alice doesn't have an official title or rank in the royal court, does this event demonstrate power she has over the king, and therefore also over the court?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances in which Katherine and Costanza finally meet, and the duke's reaction (or lack of reaction) to the meeting. How does Seton portray these two women? Are they both sympathetic characters? Pathetic characters? Likeable? And in what light does she cast the duke in this instance?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)