|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Katherine's reaction to the pyx when it passes the Chaucer home?
2. What is disturbing John most at this point in his life?
3. Why is Costanza eager to make a pilgrimage to Canterbury?
4. Katherine visits the Pessoner home only to be suddenly called away by:
5. Katherine goes back to the Pessoners' and asks Hawise to:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
2. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
3. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
4. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
5. Alice Perrers experiences the House of Commons's most viral attack. Of what do they accuse her?
6. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
7. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
8. Katherine's sister Philippa is engaged to the writer Geoffrey Chaucer and her future seems set. While Philippa is concerned about her younger sister's welfare, she's also jealous of her. Why?
9. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
10. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was it necessary for Katherine to punish herself so severely after the death of Brother William and the subsequent disappearance of her Blanchette? Given the manner in which she was raised, do you think that she could have handled the situation any other way?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Nirac had any concept that putting the poison in Hugh's medicine would have such far-reaching consequences? By the time he dies, do you think he had any regrets about his past actions? Or does he feel he has done everything with honor?
Essay Topic 3
Katherine versus Costanza. What does each woman bring to the duke? And what do we learn about the duke's ambitions and his insecurities by marrying Costanza?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)