|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Duke's pious daughter Philippa worries about her father's relationship with Katherine because:
2. Who does Katherine encounter on the ship to Bordeaux?
3. Where does the duke take Katherine?
4. How does Katherine know the plague has contaminated Bolingbroke when she arrives?
5. Who is John interested in marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
2. Despite seeing the cross at the entrance to Bolingbroke that indicates the estate has been contaminated by the Plague, Katherine goes in. Why does she take such a risk?
3. Alice Perrers experiences the House of Commons's most viral attack. Of what do they accuse her?
4. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
5. Was it foolish of Katherine to refuse an escort back to Kettlethorpe? Why or why not?
6. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
7. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
8. Katherine's sister Philippa is engaged to the writer Geoffrey Chaucer and her future seems set. While Philippa is concerned about her younger sister's welfare, she's also jealous of her. Why?
9. What is Richard's reaction when the duke--who calls himself King of Castile--pledges his allegiance to him? Why?
10. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Katherine first arrives at the castle with Blanche's funereal procession, the king is described as sad. not just because of the Duchess's death, but also because he recently became a widower himself. Yet, a short while later, the king's mistress, Alice Perrers, turns the royal dinner, held ostensibly to honor the life of Blanche, into a circus. First, describe the dinner setting. Although Alice doesn't have an official title or rank in the royal court, does this event demonstrate power she has over the king, and therefore also over the court?
Essay Topic 2
Nirac the Gascon and loyal servant to the Duke of Lancaster is one of the more interesting characters in the entire story. Loyalty is a theme that recurs throughout the story on many levels. Explain why Nirac is originally very loyal to the duke and why that loyalty is eventually tested. Could things have turned out differently for Nirac?
Essay Topic 3
There are numerous ironic moments and events in this story, but by far, one of the most ironic is the friendship that develops between Katherine and Blanche, the Duchess of Lancaster. Explain how this friendship starts, how the two women get along, and why in the end it is deeply ironic.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)