|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katherine realize about herself after hearing Geoffrey read the love poem?
2. Who, to Katherine's dismay, is in attendance at the ceremony commemorating the death of Blanche, the duke's first wife?
3. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
4. The meeting of the House of Commons yields several major accusations. The King's chamberlain, Lord Latimer, is accused of:
5. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
2. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
3. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
4. Despite seeing the cross at the entrance to Bolingbroke that indicates the estate has been contaminated by the Plague, Katherine goes in. Why does she take such a risk?
5. Katherine meets her future husband Hugh Swyndon in this chapter of the story. Why does Katherine have reservations about marrying this man?
6. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
7. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
8. Describe changes in Katherine now from the Katherine introduced at the start of this story:
9. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
10. Alice Perrers experiences the House of Commons's most viral attack. Of what do they accuse her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it ironic that in Bordeaux, while Katherine tends to her ailing husband and the duke declares his undying love for her, she says she cannot be unfaithful to Hugh? Talk about the internal, emotional tug-of-war that Katherine experiences when it comes to her love for the duke and her feelings toward her abusive husband Hugh.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the circumstances in which Katherine and Costanza finally meet, and the duke's reaction (or lack of reaction) to the meeting. How does Seton portray these two women? Are they both sympathetic characters? Pathetic characters? Likeable? And in what light does she cast the duke in this instance?
Essay Topic 3
Katherine versus Costanza. What does each woman bring to the duke? And what do we learn about the duke's ambitions and his insecurities by marrying Costanza?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)