|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Katherine's reaction to the pyx when it passes the Chaucer home?
2. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
3. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
4. How does Katherine respond to John's amorous declaration?
5. Initially, John tells Katherine he has called for her because:
Short Essay Questions
1. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
2. Katherine meets her future husband Hugh Swyndon in this chapter of the story. Why does Katherine have reservations about marrying this man?
3. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
4. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
5. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
6. Describe changes in Katherine now from the Katherine introduced at the start of this story:
7. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
8. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
9. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
10. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the time John Ball has led mobs of angry peasants into London, it's clear that there is a great disconnect between the royals and the serfs. The serfs are fed up with their lot and can no longer take it. Can you think of protest in American history that is similar to the peasant's protests against the poll tax and feudalism of medieval England?
Essay Topic 2
Despite his charisma, John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster, has many insecurities. Describe these insecurities and how they shape his character.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances in which Katherine and Costanza finally meet, and the duke's reaction (or lack of reaction) to the meeting. How does Seton portray these two women? Are they both sympathetic characters? Pathetic characters? Likeable? And in what light does she cast the duke in this instance?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)