|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
2. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
3. What does Katherine try to prevent the servants from doing shortly before she gives birth?
4. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
5. The Duke manages to get Katherine to go to Aquitaine under what pretense?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
2. Describe changes in Katherine now from the Katherine introduced at the start of this story:
3. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
4. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
5. Was it foolish of Katherine to refuse an escort back to Kettlethorpe? Why or why not?
6. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
7. Katherine meets her future husband Hugh Swyndon in this chapter of the story. Why does Katherine have reservations about marrying this man?
8. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
9. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
10. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion plays a large role in the daily lives of people in the middle ages. Explain how two of Katherine's experiences--when she sees the "pyx" pass the Chaucer home and when Hugh's sword falls to the floor at the abbey-- demonstrate this point.
Essay Topic 2
Symbols play a great part in the lives of people during the medieval years. Choose three symbols from the story and explain their significance to the characters involved.
Essay Topic 3
Nirac the Gascon and loyal servant to the Duke of Lancaster is one of the more interesting characters in the entire story. Loyalty is a theme that recurs throughout the story on many levels. Explain why Nirac is originally very loyal to the duke and why that loyalty is eventually tested. Could things have turned out differently for Nirac?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)