|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the duke take Katherine?
2. Who prevents Nichola from drowning the newborn baby?
3. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
4. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
5. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
2. Describe Katherine's appearance after she decides she is responsible for the friar's death and her daughter's disappearance.
3. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
4. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
5. Does Katherine have a "happy ever after" ending?
6. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
7. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
8. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
9. The Duke has grown quite mad with his obsession over his heritage. While Katherine talks to him, she learns that someone is at the root of John's fears. Who is this person?
10. While Katherine stays in a pilgrim hostel in Waltham, she learns that the king will soon be arriving there, too. What do some of the people there believe the king will be doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brother William the friar is an interesting and important character until his death. Why does he harbor suspicions and resentment toward Katherine? And despite this, why does he stay in service to the duke? How would Katherine's life turned out differently if Brother William had not told her of his beliefs regarding Hugh's death?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the circumstances in which Katherine and Costanza finally meet, and the duke's reaction (or lack of reaction) to the meeting. How does Seton portray these two women? Are they both sympathetic characters? Pathetic characters? Likeable? And in what light does she cast the duke in this instance?
Essay Topic 3
Is it ironic that in Bordeaux, while Katherine tends to her ailing husband and the duke declares his undying love for her, she says she cannot be unfaithful to Hugh? Talk about the internal, emotional tug-of-war that Katherine experiences when it comes to her love for the duke and her feelings toward her abusive husband Hugh.
This section contains 1,795 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)