|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because Katherine doesn't deny that she had hoped for Hugh's death, what does Blanchette now believe?
(a) Her mother murdered her father
(b) Life is short and one must savor every moment
(c) There must have been a good, solid reason for Katherine's actions
(d) Brother William could have saved her father's life but didn't try
2. Katherine receives a letter from the duke in which he requests she bring his daughter Philippa to Savoy for what reason?
(a) To discuss marriage negotiations
(b) He wants to find a good university for her
(c) He wants to tell her in person that she's going to a convent
(d) Costanza likes her and wants her at Savoy
3. In a conversation with Katherine, Brother William tells her that Pieter and the two monks have been banished to Cyprus. He also tells her to:
(a) Give up her love for John because he foresees it ending in disaster
(b) Get on the next ship to anywhere because there's a reward for her head
(c) Give up her love for John because he's really in love with Costanza
(d) Find a way to convince the king to allow unmarried couples to live without shame
4. What announcement does Katherine make to John in the spring?
(a) She's no longer in love with him
(b) She's pregnant
(c) She's ill and dying
(d) She's giving him up and becoming a nun
5. Henry returns to England and Richard is forced to:
(a) Share the throne with Henry
(b) Abdicate the throne in favor of Henry
(c) Publicly apologize for lying to peasants
(d) Divorce his eight-year-old wife
Short Answer Questions
1. Katherine's daughter Joan says her brother Thomas hates the king, saying he describes the king as:
2. As Katherine approaches Walsingham, she thinks of one word to describe her life since leaving the convent. What is that word?
3. What happens when Richard asks Thomas Swynford to try on the heavy crown?
4. The king reads the message from John and decides:
5. According to the Baron de la Pole, what two things did the duke do for Katherine to express his everlasting love and respect for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What state of mind is the duke now in?
2. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
3. Although Katherine and the duke are still not married, they openly show their relationship. What are some examples of how they do that?
4. How does Thomas, Katherine's first child and her son with Hugh, feel about her?
5. Does Katherine have a "happy ever after" ending?
6. While Katherine stays in a pilgrim hostel in Waltham, she learns that the king will soon be arriving there, too. What do some of the people there believe the king will be doing?
7. What does the duke learn when he is denied re-entry into England?
8. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
9. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
10. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)