|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
(a) Guy le Pessoner, fishmonger
(b) His uncle John, Duke of Lancaster
(c) Little Hotspur, Percy's son
(d) His uncle Thomas, Duke of Gloucester
2. What initially saves Katherine and Blanchette from the mob when they break into the palace?
(a) Their big English hats. It conceals their faces.
(b) Their fake cockney accents, which make them sound like peasants.
(c) Their plain faces without makeup. They are unrecognizable without color.
(d) Their dull grey clothing. It conceals who they are.
3. In a quiet, blissful moment, John and Katherine hear a shrill trumpet followed by the sight of a king's herald galloping toward the castle. John's tone changes into a "down-dragging voice". Why?
(a) He thinks his Castilian daughter has sent a mean message
(b) He thinks the king is calling him to another dinner he doesn't want to attend
(c) He has a foreboding of danger
(d) He wants to stay in the garden with Katherine
4. What is the main message or theme of this chapter?
(a) If you're powerful, you will go crazy.
(b) Always question who your parents are.
(c) That love conquers all.
(d) That when you're stressed out, it's good to rest and wake up hungry
5. Katherine receives a letter from the duke in which he requests she bring his daughter Philippa to Savoy for what reason?
(a) Costanza likes her and wants her at Savoy
(b) He wants to tell her in person that she's going to a convent
(c) He wants to find a good university for her
(d) To discuss marriage negotiations
Short Answer Questions
1. John has one request in his letter to Katherine:
2. Katherine has great reservations about marrying Robert Sutton, now one of Lincoln's "foremost citizens". Why?
3. Although Richard has remarried to an eight year old, he occasionally thinks of his dead wife Anne. What are his thoughts regarding her?
4. At Our Lady of Walsingham's shrine, what miracle does Katherine pray for?
5. Right before Brother William dies, what does he tell Katherine about Hugh's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
2. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
3. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
4. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
5. Katherine regains her memory of the events following Brother William's death and the flight of Blanchette. Where and to whom does she go to seek help in finding Blanchette?
6. Why does Katherine risk revealing her true identity in front of the other peasants in order to save Cob?
7. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
8. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
9. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
10. Katherine goes to the Pessoners for safety. What she discover there?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)