|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
(a) Guy le Pessoner, fishmonger
(b) Little Hotspur, Percy's son
(c) His uncle Thomas, Duke of Gloucester
(d) His uncle John, Duke of Lancaster
2. Right before Brother William dies, what does he tell Katherine about Hugh's death?
(a) He believes John's sister Isabel was behind it
(b) He believes Geoffrey Chaucer poisoned Hugh's medicine
(c) He believes she and the duke orchestrated it
(d) He wishes it had happened sooner
3. Who orders Katherine to Kennington?
(a) Princess Joan, John's sister and mother of Prince Richard
(b) The King
(c) The Duke
4. What initially saves Katherine and Blanchette from the mob when they break into the palace?
(a) Their fake cockney accents, which make them sound like peasants.
(b) Their plain faces without makeup. They are unrecognizable without color.
(c) Their big English hats. It conceals their faces.
(d) Their dull grey clothing. It conceals who they are.
5. Two years later the Duke of Lancaster dies after only how many years of being legitimately married to Katherine?
Short Answer Questions
1. Katherine's daughter Joan says her brother Thomas hates the king, saying he describes the king as:
2. King Richard and his queen are about to travel through England on a goodwill tour to boost his popularity. Their visit to Lincoln will be their first in how many years?
3. Who does Philippa call an "ill-tempered virgin"?
4. After signing truce agreements with Scotland, the duke suddenly learns he cannot:
5. What does Brother William say John Ball is now preaching to the serfs?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is ironic that Katherine goes back to Kettlethorpe?
2. While Katherine stays in a pilgrim hostel in Waltham, she learns that the king will soon be arriving there, too. What do some of the people there believe the king will be doing?
3. The Duke has grown quite mad with his obsession over his heritage. While Katherine talks to him, she learns that someone is at the root of John's fears. Who is this person?
4. When the news arrives that Trastamare and the king of France are dead, Spain and France are essentially both leaderless. The throne of Castile is now within the duke's grasp. Although Katherine worries about being around Costanza, what does she realize most about the duke's ambitions?
5. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
6. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
7. What comment does Baron de la Pole make about Katherine that displeases the duke but might be very true politically?
8. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
9. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
10. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)