|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard do after the Duke of Lancaster's death?
(a) He confiscates all of the Lancastrian estates
(b) He kicks Katherine and her children out of Windsor
(c) He executes every last member of the Lancaster clan
(d) He goes into seclusion in the tower and mourns his death for six months
2. Whose life does Katherine save during the king's visit?
(a) Percy of Northumberland
(c) Father Oswald
(d) Cob o'Fenton, a loyal servant to the Swyndons
3. Guy Pessoner visits Katherine and tells her that the king, Princess Joan, the archbishop, the treasurer, and a few other lords have hidden themselves in the tower because:
(a) The mobs of peasants, angry over the tax poll and feudalism, are after them
(b) The king and his coterie enjoy literally looking down on the peasants
(c) The king feels he's neglected the tower and wants to revisit it
(d) The king needs help getting over his fear of heights
4. King Richard rides right up the front line of rebels and tells them that he is now their leader as they wished him to be. How do the rebels react?
(a) They remain quiet, and one of them says they need to consider his statement
(b) They attack him
(c) They cheer, because he has fulfilled their wishes
(d) They are quiet because they remain suspicious
5. What is the reaction of the servants to Katherine's return to Kettlethorpe?
(a) They are happy and hopeful for the future
(b) Skeptical because they're all new and have no idea what to expect of her
(c) They don't react much, because Robert Sutton is the real boss
(d) Disappointed because she reminds them of the ugly past
Short Answer Questions
1. Katherine's daughter Joan says her brother Thomas hates the king, saying he describes the king as:
2. Where is Costanza while the duke and Katherine publicly travel around England together?
3. What does Brother William say John Ball is now preaching to the serfs?
4. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
5. Katherine tries to get John to reveal the root of his fear. When he feels he can completely trust her with what is troubling him, he says her:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
2. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
3. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
4. Although Katherine and the duke are still not married, they openly show their relationship. What are some examples of how they do that?
5. Who is Lady Julian and what does she help Katherine do?
6. Katherine goes to the Pessoners for safety. What she discover there?
7. What comment does Baron de la Pole make about Katherine that displeases the duke but might be very true politically?
8. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
9. Although Alice Perrers is free again and with the king, this status is short-lived when what happens? And what does she do?
10. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)