|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Katherine now?
(b) It's unclear. The narrator doesn't ever reveal Katherine's true age
2. Katherine's daughter Joan says her brother Thomas hates the king, saying he describes the king as:
(a) Womanish, soft-bellied and two-tongued
(b) Scarier than the devil
(c) So sickly he could knock him down by just touching him
(d) Uglier than the Hunchback of Notre Dame
3. Where is the trial of John Wyclef held, and why there?
(a) Wembley Stadium, since it's large enough to hold the massive crowds
(b) St. Paul's Cathedral, as huge crowds are attending
(c) Windsor Castle, since it's large enough for the throngs attending
(d) Savoy Castle, as John insisted on having it on his territory
4. Two years later the Duke of Lancaster dies after only how many years of being legitimately married to Katherine?
5. Katherine initially decides against seeing John again. But Harry convinces her to be a part of the reunion because:
(a) Leaving might prejudice the children against him
(b) He has hired a portrait artist to paint all of them together
(c) He is afraid of being alone with John
(d) He hasn't had time to arrange an escort for her to go elsewhere
Short Answer Questions
1. King Richard rides right up the front line of rebels and tells them that he is now their leader as they wished him to be. How do the rebels react?
2. Katherine tries to get John to reveal the root of his fear. When he feels he can completely trust her with what is troubling him, he says her:
3. Where is Costanza while the duke and Katherine publicly travel around England together?
4. What does John realize is causing his insanity?
5. Now legitimately married to John, and their children legitimized as well, Katherine is back at Windsor Castle. But are the ladies in court happy to have her back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Katherine have a "happy ever after" ending?
2. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
3. Although Katherine and the duke are still not married, they openly show their relationship. What are some examples of how they do that?
4. What state of mind is the duke now in?
5. Where is Katherine now?
6. The Duke has grown quite mad with his obsession over his heritage. While Katherine talks to him, she learns that someone is at the root of John's fears. Who is this person?
7. When the news arrives that Trastamare and the king of France are dead, Spain and France are essentially both leaderless. The throne of Castile is now within the duke's grasp. Although Katherine worries about being around Costanza, what does she realize most about the duke's ambitions?
8. Katherine regains her memory of the events following Brother William's death and the flight of Blanchette. Where and to whom does she go to seek help in finding Blanchette?
9. How does Thomas, Katherine's first child and her son with Hugh, feel about her?
10. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)