|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Katherine take Geoffrey to tell him about the guilt she feels and everything she now believes has gone wrong in her life?
(a) The Pessoners' back yard
(b) To see Brother William's head
(c) To the ruins of Savoy
(d) To Blanche's tomb
2. Where does Katherine feel she should now return?
(a) Sheppey, the convent
(b) Savoy, to rebuild it
(c) Swynford, her husband's home
3. In a conversation with Katherine, Brother William tells her that Pieter and the two monks have been banished to Cyprus. He also tells her to:
(a) Give up her love for John because he's really in love with Costanza
(b) Find a way to convince the king to allow unmarried couples to live without shame
(c) Give up her love for John because he foresees it ending in disaster
(d) Get on the next ship to anywhere because there's a reward for her head
4. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
(a) Guy le Pessoner, fishmonger
(b) Little Hotspur, Percy's son
(c) His uncle Thomas, Duke of Gloucester
(d) His uncle John, Duke of Lancaster
5. What confession does Pieter make when surrounded by Appleton and others?
(a) That Katherine and John are actually siblings
(b) That Bishop Courtenay is in fact John's father
(c) He says that the Bishop Courtenay paid him to make placards about the falseness of John's heritage
(d) That Alice Perrers is John's real mother
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Katherine now?
2. How does Katherine feel about being back at Kettlethorpe?
3. Two years later the Duke of Lancaster dies after only how many years of being legitimately married to Katherine?
4. As the Savoy explodes and peasants pillage its wine cellars, Cob stares at Katherine lying unconscious on the ground. He considers stealing her purse but stops. Why?
5. What announcement does Katherine make to John in the spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the duke learn when he is denied re-entry into England?
2. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
3. How does Thomas, Katherine's first child and her son with Hugh, feel about her?
4. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
5. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
6. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
7. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
8. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
9. Who is Lady Julian and what does she help Katherine do?
10. What state of mind is the duke now in?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)