|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Katherine manages to stop the duke on his rampage by telling him she no longer wears his ring because:
(a) It has lost its meaning
(b) It's too large
(c) It's too small
(d) She discovered he gave the same one to Costanza
2. In a conversation with Brother William, what does Katherine discover about the preacher John Ball?
(a) He was released from prison for good behavior and is running for a seat in the House of Commons
(b) He has been released from prison and is starting riots in Kent
(c) He has given up inciting riots and is just planning to assassinate the duke in Scotland
(d) He has escaped the salt mines in Russia and is on his way to Scotland
3. What does Katherine find at the duke's gatehouse that brands him a traitor?
(a) A four-foot high cross, painted red
(b) A ten-foot high cross, painted in black
(c) The Duke's shield, painted in red
(d) The duke's shield, turned upside down
4. Who tries to help Katherine and Blanchette escape from the angry mobs?
(a) Princess Joan
(b) The Earl of March
(c) Brother William
(d) The Duke of Lancaster
5. Henry returns to England and Richard is forced to:
(a) Abdicate the throne in favor of Henry
(b) Divorce his eight-year-old wife
(c) Share the throne with Henry
(d) Publicly apologize for lying to peasants
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
2. Where does Katherine feel she should now return?
3. In a conversation with Katherine, Brother William tells her that Pieter and the two monks have been banished to Cyprus. He also tells her to:
4. Suddenly, Blanchette becomes ill for a month. Who looks after her during her illness?
5. Although Wat the tiler dresses up for his meeting with the king and tries to befriend the king, the king's squire calls Wat, "the greatest knave and robber in all Kent" because he shows no respect for the king. What happens to Wat after the squire's statement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
2. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
3. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
4. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
5. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
6. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
7. What state of mind is the duke now in?
8. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
9. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
10. What does the duke learn when he is denied re-entry into England?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)