|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Katherine receives a letter from the duke in which he requests she bring his daughter Philippa to Savoy for what reason?
(a) He wants to tell her in person that she's going to a convent
(b) Costanza likes her and wants her at Savoy
(c) He wants to find a good university for her
(d) To discuss marriage negotiations
2. What is the main message or theme of this chapter?
(a) That when you're stressed out, it's good to rest and wake up hungry
(b) If you're powerful, you will go crazy.
(c) Always question who your parents are.
(d) That love conquers all.
3. As the Savoy explodes and peasants pillage its wine cellars, Cob stares at Katherine lying unconscious on the ground. He considers stealing her purse but stops. Why?
(a) He knows that without her purse, Katherine stands less of a chance at survival than him
(b) The purse reminds him of his long family history of stealing and he wants to break the cycle
(c) He sees the Swynford coat of arms which remind him of home and his long family history of loyalty to the Swynfords
(d) He would become a target of other peasants if the purse is found on him
4. What does Cob do to reawaken the unconscious Katherine?
(a) He waves ammonia under her nose
(b) He rolls her into a nearby brook
(c) He slaps her a few times
(d) He shakes her violently
5. The king reads the message from John and decides:
(a) Percy of Northumberland did the right thing and will be rewarded
(b) He cannot decipher John's strange message so nothing happens
(c) Percy of Northumberland's actions had no royal sanction, so he welcomes John back to England
(d) John will stay in Scotland and Percy will be welcomed to England
Short Answer Questions
1. After signing truce agreements with Scotland, the duke suddenly learns he cannot:
2. How have John's concerns about his heritage affected him?
3. How does Katherine feel about being back at Kettlethorpe?
4. At Our Lady of Walsingham's shrine, what miracle does Katherine pray for?
5. In a quiet, blissful moment, John and Katherine hear a shrill trumpet followed by the sight of a king's herald galloping toward the castle. John's tone changes into a "down-dragging voice". Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the news arrives that Trastamare and the king of France are dead, Spain and France are essentially both leaderless. The throne of Castile is now within the duke's grasp. Although Katherine worries about being around Costanza, what does she realize most about the duke's ambitions?
2. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
3. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
4. Although Alice Perrers is free again and with the king, this status is short-lived when what happens? And what does she do?
5. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
6. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
7. It is ironic that Katherine goes back to Kettlethorpe?
8. What does the duke learn when he is denied re-entry into England?
9. Katherine regains her memory of the events following Brother William's death and the flight of Blanchette. Where and to whom does she go to seek help in finding Blanchette?
10. How does Thomas, Katherine's first child and her son with Hugh, feel about her?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)