|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Katherine manages to stop the duke on his rampage by telling him she no longer wears his ring because:
(a) She discovered he gave the same one to Costanza
(b) It's too small
(c) It has lost its meaning
(d) It's too large
2. What announcement does Katherine make to John in the spring?
(a) She's no longer in love with him
(b) She's pregnant
(c) She's giving him up and becoming a nun
(d) She's ill and dying
3. Katherine receives a letter from the duke in which he requests she bring his daughter Philippa to Savoy for what reason?
(a) He wants to find a good university for her
(b) To discuss marriage negotiations
(c) He wants to tell her in person that she's going to a convent
(d) Costanza likes her and wants her at Savoy
4. Suddenly, Blanchette becomes ill for a month. Who looks after her during her illness?
(a) Ralph of Hastings and his mother
(b) Katherine and Brother William
(c) Katherine and Costanza
(d) Henry of Bolingbroke and his new bride
5. Whose life does Katherine save during the king's visit?
(a) Cob o'Fenton, a loyal servant to the Swyndons
(b) Father Oswald
(d) Percy of Northumberland
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Katherine take Geoffrey to tell him about the guilt she feels and everything she now believes has gone wrong in her life?
2. What is the reaction of the servants to Katherine's return to Kettlethorpe?
3. Who does the king's squire, Robin, think is a challenge for the duke?
4. Who is making bloody threats against the king?
5. What worries Katherine when she learns that both Trastamare and King Charles of France have died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Katherine and the duke are still not married, they openly show their relationship. What are some examples of how they do that?
2. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
3. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
4. The Duke has grown quite mad with his obsession over his heritage. While Katherine talks to him, she learns that someone is at the root of John's fears. Who is this person?
5. Does Katherine have a "happy ever after" ending?
6. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
7. Why does Katherine risk revealing her true identity in front of the other peasants in order to save Cob?
8. What state of mind is the duke now in?
9. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
10. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)