|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Duke challenges Percy to mortal combat. Who shows up to fight him?
(a) Percy's son, Little Hotspur
(b) Percy of Northumberland, as promised
(c) No one, John stands in a field waiting and waiting
(d) A mob of angry peasants
2. Because Katherine doesn't deny that she had hoped for Hugh's death, what does Blanchette now believe?
(a) Her mother murdered her father
(b) Brother William could have saved her father's life but didn't try
(c) Life is short and one must savor every moment
(d) There must have been a good, solid reason for Katherine's actions
3. In a quiet, blissful moment, John and Katherine hear a shrill trumpet followed by the sight of a king's herald galloping toward the castle. John's tone changes into a "down-dragging voice". Why?
(a) He wants to stay in the garden with Katherine
(b) He thinks his Castilian daughter has sent a mean message
(c) He thinks the king is calling him to another dinner he doesn't want to attend
(d) He has a foreboding of danger
4. Two years later the Duke of Lancaster dies after only how many years of being legitimately married to Katherine?
5. Henry returns to England and Richard is forced to:
(a) Divorce his eight-year-old wife
(b) Abdicate the throne in favor of Henry
(c) Share the throne with Henry
(d) Publicly apologize for lying to peasants
Short Answer Questions
1. Robin, playing the Lord of Misrule, shouts "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He then kisses:
2. In a conversation with Katherine, Brother William tells her that Pieter and the two monks have been banished to Cyprus. He also tells her to:
3. Where does Katherine feel she should now return?
4. How have John's concerns about his heritage affected him?
5. What does Brother William say John Ball is now preaching to the serfs?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Duke has grown quite mad with his obsession over his heritage. While Katherine talks to him, she learns that someone is at the root of John's fears. Who is this person?
2. What state of mind is the duke now in?
3. Does Katherine have a "happy ever after" ending?
4. Why does Katherine risk revealing her true identity in front of the other peasants in order to save Cob?
5. Although Katherine and the duke are still not married, they openly show their relationship. What are some examples of how they do that?
6. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
7. It is ironic that Katherine goes back to Kettlethorpe?
8. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
9. Describe Katherine's appearance after she decides she is responsible for the friar's death and her daughter's disappearance.
10. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)