|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two nuns arrive at the castle to see Katherine. One is name Ursula, who in fact turns out to be the long-lost Blanchette. Blanchette says she has returned because:
(a) She could no longer live with her hatred for Katherine
(b) She has been ordered by the church to take Katherine to the convent
(c) She has no money or home and nowhere else to go
(d) She has been given unprecedented power to absolve Katherine of her sins
2. Katherine's daughter Joan says her brother Thomas hates the king, saying he describes the king as:
(a) Scarier than the devil
(b) Womanish, soft-bellied and two-tongued
(c) Uglier than the Hunchback of Notre Dame
(d) So sickly he could knock him down by just touching him
3. Who is making bloody threats against the king?
(a) John's brother of Gloucester
(b) Katherine's son Thomas
(c) Blanchette, who appears out of nowhere
(d) Catalina, daughter of Costanza and John
4. On what day of what year does Henry of Bolingbroke get married?
(a) July 15, 1380
(b) New Year's Day, 1380
(c) March 15, 1380
(d) Christmas Day, 1380
5. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
(a) Poisons herself and climbs into his tomb
(b) Goes insane and locks herself up in a tower
(c) Makes a pass at his brother
(d) Takes some of his jewelry and flees
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Katherine meet who helps her change her life around?
2. The Duke challenges Percy to mortal combat. Who shows up to fight him?
3. Katherine and John visit Hugh's tomb. After which, what happens?
4. What does John discover upon his return to England?
5. King Richard and his queen are about to travel through England on a goodwill tour to boost his popularity. Their visit to Lincoln will be their first in how many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
2. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
3. King Richard turned out to be quite deceptive. Do you think he got what he deserved in the end?
4. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
5. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
6. When the news arrives that Trastamare and the king of France are dead, Spain and France are essentially both leaderless. The throne of Castile is now within the duke's grasp. Although Katherine worries about being around Costanza, what does she realize most about the duke's ambitions?
7. Although Katherine and the duke are still not married, they openly show their relationship. What are some examples of how they do that?
8. What state of mind is the duke now in?
9. Katherine goes to the Pessoners for safety. What she discover there?
10. What does the duke learn when he is denied re-entry into England?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)