|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Janet, Katherine's daughter-in-law, has a theory about why Katherine doesn't see her son Thomas much. What is Janet's theory?
(a) Katherine prefers her illegitimate children with thedDuke to her natural children with Hugh
(b) Katherine doesn't like Janet
(c) Katherine thinks Thomas is unpleasant like his late father
(d) Katherine is removing herself from society
2. What does Father Oswald refuse to grant Katherine after she confesses?
(a) Annulment of her marriage to Hugh
(c) A meeting with the Pope
3. How is John Ball punished for inciting revolt against the poll tax?
(a) He is sent to the salt mines of Russia
(b) He is sent to labor in the grape yards of Italy
(c) He is imprisoned in Kent
(d) He is banished from England
4. What does Richard do after the Duke of Lancaster's death?
(a) He goes into seclusion in the tower and mourns his death for six months
(b) He kicks Katherine and her children out of Windsor
(c) He executes every last member of the Lancaster clan
(d) He confiscates all of the Lancastrian estates
5. Although Wat the tiler dresses up for his meeting with the king and tries to befriend the king, the king's squire calls Wat, "the greatest knave and robber in all Kent" because he shows no respect for the king. What happens to Wat after the squire's statement?
(a) The king tells his squire he is greatly mistaken, then fires his squire
(b) Nothing. Everyone, including the king, ignores the squire
(c) The king slaps Wat and tells him to kneel on the ground before him
(d) He gets killed by the king's men
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomas Swynford is now nineteen and a knight. Who does he serve?
2. Katherine tries to get John to reveal the root of his fear. When he feels he can completely trust her with what is troubling him, he says her:
3. Where is the trial of John Wyclef held, and why there?
4. How old is Katherine now?
5. Who offers to take a message to the king on John's behalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Katherine and John enjoy only three married years together. She lives another four years, during which Richard confiscates all Lancastrian estates and watches her son Henry return to England and fight for his rights. Did you ever think she should have just remained at Kettlethorpe and not married the duke?
2. What state of mind is the duke now in?
3. Why does Katherine risk revealing her true identity in front of the other peasants in order to save Cob?
4. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
5. To what country is the duke assigned, and to do what?
6. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
7. Where is Katherine now?
8. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
9. Although Alice Perrers is free again and with the king, this status is short-lived when what happens? And what does she do?
10. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)