|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reaction of the servants to Katherine's return to Kettlethorpe?
(a) They don't react much, because Robert Sutton is the real boss
(b) Skeptical because they're all new and have no idea what to expect of her
(c) Disappointed because she reminds them of the ugly past
(d) They are happy and hopeful for the future
2. How does Katherine feel about being back at Kettlethorpe?
(a) It makes her sick but she has to push herself to endure being there
(b) She is punishing herself with memories of Hugh
(c) She now appreciates it
(d) She sees it as a chance to decorate it her way
3. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
(a) Takes some of his jewelry and flees
(b) Makes a pass at his brother
(c) Poisons herself and climbs into his tomb
(d) Goes insane and locks herself up in a tower
4. How is John Ball punished for inciting revolt against the poll tax?
(a) He is sent to labor in the grape yards of Italy
(b) He is banished from England
(c) He is sent to the salt mines of Russia
(d) He is imprisoned in Kent
5. Katherine stays in a pilgrim hotel in Waltham. She hears the king will be arriving and hopes:
(a) That the Duke of Lancaster will be with him
(b) That he has seen Blanchette
(c) That he doesn't recognize her
(d) That he will bring her back into the royal fold
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
2. Katherine's daughter Joan says her brother Thomas hates the king, saying he describes the king as:
3. Who offers to take a message to the king on John's behalf?
4. What shocking news does Katherine learn about the king's plans?
5. Katherine tries to get John to reveal the root of his fear. When he feels he can completely trust her with what is troubling him, he says her:
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Baron de la Pole make about Katherine that displeases the duke but might be very true politically?
2. Cob o'Fenton goes to quite a lot of trouble to help Katherine get to safety after the angry peasants break into and destroy Savoy. However, what does he say when they are safe at the Pessoners and she drinks from his mug of ale?
3. What state of mind is the duke now in?
4. Katherine regains her memory of the events following Brother William's death and the flight of Blanchette. Where and to whom does she go to seek help in finding Blanchette?
5. At the raucous wedding of Henry of Bolingbroke to Anne of Bohemia, Robin, playing a comic character called the Lord of Misrule shouts: "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He kisses Katherine. How does the duke respond to this incident?
6. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
7. Why does Katherine risk revealing her true identity in front of the other peasants in order to save Cob?
8. Katherine goes to the Pessoners for safety. What she discover there?
9. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
10. The Duke has grown quite mad with his obsession over his heritage. While Katherine talks to him, she learns that someone is at the root of John's fears. Who is this person?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)