|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John realize is causing his insanity?
(a) He still has no idea. He thinks he's fine and that everyone around him has some silly idea he's crazy
(b) The women in his life
(c) His lack of war victories
(d) Deep grief from childhood. Isolda promised him she wouldn't leave him then died
2. King Richard and his queen are about to travel through England on a goodwill tour to boost his popularity. Their visit to Lincoln will be their first in how many years?
3. Although Richard has remarried to an eight year old, he occasionally thinks of his dead wife Anne. What are his thoughts regarding her?
(a) He should have married someone else
(b) He has suspicions that she was murdered
(c) He wishes she were alive and that his current wife could be his mistress
(d) He misses her laughter
4. What shocking news does Katherine learn about the king's plans?
(a) He will suggest that all of Europe merge into one, creating a union
(b) He will soon strip all royalty and landed gentry of their titles
(c) He lied to the serfs to stop the riots but has no intention of setting them free permanently
(d) He lured the duke back to England to execute him
5. What does Richard do after the Duke of Lancaster's death?
(a) He confiscates all of the Lancastrian estates
(b) He kicks Katherine and her children out of Windsor
(c) He goes into seclusion in the tower and mourns his death for six months
(d) He executes every last member of the Lancaster clan
Short Answer Questions
1. What initially saves Katherine and Blanchette from the mob when they break into the palace?
2. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
3. At one point, Cob whispers to himself: "I didn't rightly believe 'twould ever happen." What did he not believe would happen?
4. What worries Katherine when she learns that both Trastamare and King Charles of France have died?
5. What is the main message or theme of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Katherine have a "happy ever after" ending?
2. Why is the preacher John Ball imprisoned?
3. What state of mind is the duke now in?
4. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
5. It is ironic that Katherine goes back to Kettlethorpe?
6. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine at Kettlethorpe, what does he tell her?
7. Describe Katherine's appearance after she decides she is responsible for the friar's death and her daughter's disappearance.
8. What comment does Baron de la Pole make about Katherine that displeases the duke but might be very true politically?
9. Where is Katherine now?
10. Over time Geoffrey and Philippa have come to live apart. When we see Philippa at this point in the story, how is she?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)