|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John interested in marrying?
(a) Elizabeth, Queen of England
(b) Costanza, Queen of Castile
(c) Alice Walker
(d) Alice Perrers
2. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
(a) John owes them money
(b) John is actually not English, but French
(c) John is not the king's son but the son of a Flemish butcher
(d) John is not the king's son but the son of a French tailor
3. What worries Hawise about the affair between John and Katherine?
(a) That Katherine might take another lover
(b) That she will not have enough energy to look after the many children they plan to have
(c) That if something goes wrong, she will be in trouble
(d) That John will tire of Katherine
4. To whom is Philippa engaged?
(a) The Duke of Lancaster
(b) Geoffrey Chaucer
(c) The King's Squire
(d) Roger DeCheyne
5. Do Katherine and Blanche get along?
(a) Yes. They enjoy singing and sewing together
(b) Blanche is too busy to spend any time with Katherine, so it's hard to say
(c) Not at all. Blanche sees Katherine as another maid and treats her as such
(d) They are civil to one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
2. In addition to dystentery, what else plagues Hugh?
3. Why do the servants resent the pregnant Katherine?
4. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
5. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
2. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
3. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
4. Shortly after her wedding, Katherine and Hugh stop at Waltham Abbey, where they visit a shrine containing a large black cross. What happens to Hugh at the shrine that foreshadows dark events to come?
5. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
6. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
7. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
8. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
9. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
10. Katherine meets her future husband Hugh Swyndon in this chapter of the story. Why does Katherine have reservations about marrying this man?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)