|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John has a dream in which he "felt the touch of the sacred oil as the archbishop anointed him and he had felt, vivid as in waking, the holy pressure" of a certain country's crown. What country's crown?
2. Katherine soon discovers the real reason she has been called upon:
(a) The Duke is making arrangements to send her back to the convent
(b) The Duke wants to declare his love for her
(c) The Duke suspects her of killing Blanche
(d) The Duke wants to banish her from England
3. What does Katherine tell Hugh before he leaves for war?
(a) She's leaving him and not to look for her
(b) He must stop at the Lancaster estate for a blessing first
(c) That she's pregnant
(d) She has discovered that she cannot have children
4. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
(b) He vows to give England to Castile
(c) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
(d) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
5. What does the local bishop call Katherine after meeting her?
(a) A goddess
(b) Princess Katherine
(c) A barmaid
(d) A charity wench
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geoffrey Chaucer feel about Katherine's relationship with John?
2. Nirac overhears John's declaration to Katherine. He decides to take matters into his own hands by:
3. All of the duke's men are happy except for Baron de la Pole. The Baron gets sent away for openly expressing his concerns to the duke. On his way to Havering, he meets Brother William Appleton who tells him something interesting about the duke. What does he tell Baron?
4. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
5. What happens when Hugh looks up at the black cross in Waltham Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
2. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
3. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
4. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
5. Katherine meets her future husband Hugh Swyndon in this chapter of the story. Why does Katherine have reservations about marrying this man?
6. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
7. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
8. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
9. Katherine's sister Philippa is engaged to the writer Geoffrey Chaucer and her future seems set. While Philippa is concerned about her younger sister's welfare, she's also jealous of her. Why?
10. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)