|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John interested in marrying?
(a) Alice Walker
(b) Elizabeth, Queen of England
(c) Alice Perrers
(d) Costanza, Queen of Castile
2. What is the name of the illness that the Prince of Wales has?
3. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
(a) There is almost no difference. The estates were built by the same architect
(b) Uglier and the property much smaller
(c) It is beautiful, alive and welcoming
(d) It is newer but has no distinct characteristics
4. Katherine soon discovers the real reason she has been called upon:
(a) The Duke wants to banish her from England
(b) The Duke is making arrangements to send her back to the convent
(c) The Duke suspects her of killing Blanche
(d) The Duke wants to declare his love for her
5. The Friar, Brother William, doesn't suspect Katherine of foul play in Hugh's death. Instead, he believes that:
(a) Hugh didn't want to live anymore
(b) Hugh died of internal bleeding
(c) Hugh might have had a heart attack
(d) Hugh's bowel burst
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Hugh looks up at the black cross in Waltham Abbey?
2. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
3. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
4. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
5. How does Katherine know the plague has contaminated Bolingbroke when she arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
2. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
3. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
4. Describe changes in Katherine now from the Katherine introduced at the start of this story:
5. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
6. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
7. Alice Perrers experiences the House of Commons's most viral attack. Of what do they accuse her?
8. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
9. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
10. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)