|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hugh takes the drink from Katherine and soon thereafter dreams of the Kettlethorpe Pooka Hound with "fiery-red eyes." What does the Pooka Hound symbolize?
(b) Nothing. He's just a crazy dog
(d) Long life and prosperity
2. What happens when Hugh looks up at the black cross in Waltham Abbey?
(a) He suddenly has a religious epiphany and decides to become a cleric
(b) The clasp on his necklace chain comes udone and his pendant falls to the ground
(c) The buckle holding his scabard comes lose and his sword falls to the ground
(d) He faints
3. What worries Hawise about the affair between John and Katherine?
(a) That if something goes wrong, she will be in trouble
(b) That John will tire of Katherine
(c) That Katherine might take another lover
(d) That she will not have enough energy to look after the many children they plan to have
4. What important event takes place in April 1369?
(a) Castile is declared the capital of continental Europe
(b) France surrenders to England
(c) England declares war with France again
(d) The king gets the bishop to stop the rain from falling
5. How does Nirac describe Costanza's appearance?
(a) So repulsive that it would be best to look elsewhere in her presence
(b) Shabby, bony, flat-chested with a hair shirt to remind her of her father
(c) Plain and forgetful
(d) Exquisite, voluptuous, dressed in the most beautiful dresses
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
2. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
3. Who was Isolda?
4. In addition to dystentery, what else plagues Hugh?
5. Initially, John tells Katherine he has called for her because:
Short Essay Questions
1. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
2. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
3. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
4. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
5. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
6. What is Richard's reaction when the duke--who calls himself King of Castile--pledges his allegiance to him? Why?
7. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
8. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
9. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
10. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)