|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Katherine is resigned to marrying Hugh, what does she give him?
(a) A bible
(b) A piece of her sleeve to wear in the upcoming joust
(c) A suit of armor
(d) Nothing because he doesn't need any lucky tokens
2. Who was Isolda?
(a) Alice Perrer's older sister
(b) John of Gaunt's sister
(c) John of Gaunt's mother
(d) A mysterious servant who charmed the royals
3. What is disturbing John most at this point in his life?
(a) That his brother, the Prince of Wales, is more handsome
(b) That no one will fully accept his relationship with Katherine
(c) That Geoffrey Chaucer isn't writing a biography of him
(d) The rumors circulating that he is a changeling
4. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
(a) The Duke threatens him if he doesn't
(b) He thinks Katherine and the duke are in a serious romantic relationship
(c) He has nothing else to do
(d) He thinks he's in love with Katherine
5. Katherine goes to the Chapel to visit Blanches' body and finds the duke there. What does he tell her?
(a) He wishes he had caught the Plague so he could be dead with Blanche
(b) To stay until he feels better
(c) He's giving Bolingbroke to the convent
(d) To leave
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to dystentery, what else plagues Hugh?
2. In Parliament, the king seems to be interested only in:
3. How does Katherine know the plague has contaminated Bolingbroke when she arrives?
4. How does Nirac describe Costanza's appearance?
5. Nirac's feelings toward Katherine go from loyalty to hatred. Resigned that he'll never be greatly admired by John, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Shortly after her wedding, Katherine and Hugh stop at Waltham Abbey, where they visit a shrine containing a large black cross. What happens to Hugh at the shrine that foreshadows dark events to come?
2. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
3. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
4. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
5. Katherine meets her future husband Hugh Swyndon in this chapter of the story. Why does Katherine have reservations about marrying this man?
6. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
7. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
8. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
9. Who breaks up the fight between Roger DeCheyne and Hugh Swynford? And how does Katherine react to this?
10. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)