|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hugh order Katherine to stay away from Nichola?
(a) Nichola is, in truth, a sorceress
(b) Nichola is clumsy and might trip and fall on her
(c) Nichola will smother her with affection
(d) He doesn't want his unborn child to catch his stepmother's illness
2. Katherine goes to the Chapel to visit Blanches' body and finds the duke there. What does he tell her?
(a) To stay until he feels better
(b) To leave
(c) He's giving Bolingbroke to the convent
(d) He wishes he had caught the Plague so he could be dead with Blanche
3. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
(a) She's pregnant with his child
(b) She feels she's still married to Hugh and cannot be unfaithful to his memory
(c) She has changed her mind and wants to become a nun
(d) She fell in love with Nirac and they are eloping
4. After reversing the Parliament's measures, John still has two significant enemies:
(a) The King and the Prince of Wales
(b) Katherine and Costanza
(c) Isolda and Pieter
(d) The Earl of March and Bishop Courtenay of London
5. What is the name of the illness that the Prince of Wales has?
Short Answer Questions
1. What mode of transport does Katherine use when leaving the convent?
2. What is disturbing John most at this point in his life?
3. Describe Katherine's reaction to the pyx when it passes the Chaucer home?
4. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
5. The Duke's pious daughter Philippa worries about her father's relationship with Katherine because:
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
2. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
3. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
4. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
5. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
6. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
7. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
8. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
9. Despite seeing the cross at the entrance to Bolingbroke that indicates the estate has been contaminated by the Plague, Katherine goes in. Why does she take such a risk?
10. Was it foolish of Katherine to refuse an escort back to Kettlethorpe? Why or why not?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)