|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
(b) Water-elf sickness
(d) A bad heart
2. Once Katherine is resigned to marrying Hugh, what does she give him?
(a) A bible
(b) Nothing because he doesn't need any lucky tokens
(c) A suit of armor
(d) A piece of her sleeve to wear in the upcoming joust
3. The Friar, Brother William, doesn't suspect Katherine of foul play in Hugh's death. Instead, he believes that:
(a) Hugh didn't want to live anymore
(b) Hugh's bowel burst
(c) Hugh might have had a heart attack
(d) Hugh died of internal bleeding
4. The meeting of the House of Commons yields several major accusations. The King's chamberlain, Lord Latimer, is accused of:
(a) Impersonating the king
(b) Trying to seize the throne
(c) Corruption and treason
(d) Stealing from the poor and giving to the rich
5. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
(a) Their children
(b) A new wine venture she has started that's sure to be successful
(c) A magic potion that will heal him instantly
(d) The money they're making from their estates
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hugh confident he'll return by May?
2. Despite telling the Captal that he only loves Katherine, what must John do?
3. What does Katherine realize about herself after hearing Geoffrey read the love poem?
4. How did Katherine's mother die?
5. What does Geoffrey Chaucer feel about Katherine's relationship with John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
2. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
3. Despite seeing the cross at the entrance to Bolingbroke that indicates the estate has been contaminated by the Plague, Katherine goes in. Why does she take such a risk?
4. Alice Perrers experiences the House of Commons's most viral attack. Of what do they accuse her?
5. Katherine's sister Philippa is engaged to the writer Geoffrey Chaucer and her future seems set. While Philippa is concerned about her younger sister's welfare, she's also jealous of her. Why?
6. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
7. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
8. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
9. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
10. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)