|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, to Katherine's dismay, is in attendance at the ceremony commemorating the death of Blanche, the duke's first wife?
(a) Costanza, the duke's current wife
(b) Blanche's ghost, whom everyone can see
(c) Costanza's mother, a very bothersome woman
(d) Geoffrey Chaucer's father, who is very ill with the black plague
2. Katherine reaches Blanche just in time to:
(a) Get a judge to annul Blanche's marriage to the duke
(b) Get a priest to administer last rites
(c) Hear Blanche tell her that the duke is not who she thinks he is
(d) Get a blessing to have an affair with the duke
3. Nirac overhears John's declaration to Katherine. He decides to take matters into his own hands by:
(a) Poisoning Costanza
(b) Poisoning Katherine
(c) Putting Hugh on the front lines in battle
(d) Poisoning Hugh
4. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
(c) Alice Perrers
(d) A nun from the convent
5. What important event takes place in April 1369?
(a) Castile is declared the capital of continental Europe
(b) England declares war with France again
(c) France surrenders to England
(d) The king gets the bishop to stop the rain from falling
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
2. What mode of transport does Katherine use when leaving the convent?
3. Hugh is initially suspicious as to why the duke has forgiven his debts. When Katherine reassures him that it must be the Duke's way of thanking her for taking care of the Duchess, how does Hugh react?
4. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
5. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. Alice Perrers experiences the House of Commons's most viral attack. Of what do they accuse her?
2. Katherine's sister Philippa is engaged to the writer Geoffrey Chaucer and her future seems set. While Philippa is concerned about her younger sister's welfare, she's also jealous of her. Why?
3. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
4. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
5. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
6. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
7. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
8. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
9. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
10. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)