|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Costanza eager to make a pilgrimage to Canterbury?
(a) She hopes St. Thomas will help her get more sleep
(b) She hopes St. Thomas will help her become more fertile
(c) She hopes St. Thomas will make her beautiful, like Katherine
(d) She hopes St. Thomas will make Katherine magically disappear
2. How did Katherine's mother die?
(a) She took her own life
(b) From a mysterious disease
(c) In childbirth
(d) She was trampled by a horse
3. Who is John interested in marrying?
(a) Costanza, Queen of Castile
(b) Elizabeth, Queen of England
(c) Alice Perrers
(d) Alice Walker
4. How does the sword fight between Hugh and Roger end?
(a) It's a draw
(b) The Duke of Lancaster breaks it up
(c) Hugh wins
(d) Roger wins
5. Who sets the playful tone by dancing a dog on the table at Blanche's funeral dinner hosted by the king?
(a) Philippa and Geoffrey, who have no tact
(b) The Duke of Lancaster, who shows up unexpectedly
(c) Katherine, who thinks Blanche would have preferred a jovial funeral dinner
(d) Alice Perrers, his mistress
Short Answer Questions
1. In Parliament, the king seems to be interested only in:
2. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
3. Where does the duke take Katherine?
4. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
5. Katherine soon discovers the real reason she has been called upon:
Short Essay Questions
1. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
2. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
3. Despite seeing the cross at the entrance to Bolingbroke that indicates the estate has been contaminated by the Plague, Katherine goes in. Why does she take such a risk?
4. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
5. Katherine's sister Philippa is engaged to the writer Geoffrey Chaucer and her future seems set. While Philippa is concerned about her younger sister's welfare, she's also jealous of her. Why?
6. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
7. It is ironic that Katherine goes back to Kettlethorpe?
8. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
9. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
10. Just as Katherine and Blanchette have repaired their tenuous relationship, what happens that makes Blanchette go back to mistrusting and even hating Katherine?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)