|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Hugh looks up at the black cross in Waltham Abbey?
(a) The clasp on his necklace chain comes udone and his pendant falls to the ground
(b) He suddenly has a religious epiphany and decides to become a cleric
(c) He faints
(d) The buckle holding his scabard comes lose and his sword falls to the ground
2. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
(a) She has changed her mind and wants to become a nun
(b) She feels she's still married to Hugh and cannot be unfaithful to his memory
(c) She fell in love with Nirac and they are eloping
(d) She's pregnant with his child
3. Describe Katherine's reaction to the pyx when it passes the Chaucer home?
(a) She's ashamed because she's suddenly in love with Geoffrecy
(b) She's ashamed because she can't remember what the pyx is
(c) She's shocked the pyx is so ugly
(d) She's ashamed of herself for wanting to escape marrying Hugh
4. What does Roger DeCheyne ask Katherine for?
(a) A promise to leave Hugh if he wins the joust
(b) A big wet kiss
(c) A token for luck
(d) A blessing before battle
5. After reversing the Parliament's measures, John still has two significant enemies:
(a) The Earl of March and Bishop Courtenay of London
(b) The King and the Prince of Wales
(c) Katherine and Costanza
(d) Isolda and Pieter
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nirac describe Costanza's appearance?
2. Katherine visits the Pessoner home only to be suddenly called away by:
3. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
4. Who is John interested in marrying?
5. Katherine soon discovers the real reason she has been called upon:
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Baron de la Pole make about Katherine that displeases the duke but might be very true politically?
2. Despite seeing the cross at the entrance to Bolingbroke that indicates the estate has been contaminated by the Plague, Katherine goes in. Why does she take such a risk?
3. Describe Katherine's appearance after she decides she is responsible for the friar's death and her daughter's disappearance.
4. How does Thomas, Katherine's first child and her son with Hugh, feel about her?
5. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
6. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
7. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
8. John Ball is once again, now that he has been released from prison, preaching to the angry masses. What is he saying this time?
9. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
10. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)