|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Earl of March envies John, but thinks he has one strength and advantage that John does not:
(a) The Earl is about to father a child who is closer to the throne than any of the Lancaster children
(b) He is a better swordsman
(c) He has fathered many bastard children
(d) He is expecting children with several royal women
2. What happens when Hugh looks up at the black cross in Waltham Abbey?
(a) The clasp on his necklace chain comes udone and his pendant falls to the ground
(b) The buckle holding his scabard comes lose and his sword falls to the ground
(c) He faints
(d) He suddenly has a religious epiphany and decides to become a cleric
3. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
(a) Dilapidated, abandoned, in need of repair
(b) Burned to the ground, smoke rising from its ashes
(c) A little shabby but nothing that can't be fixed in a week
(d) Beautifully manicured
4. Despite telling the Captal that he only loves Katherine, what must John do?
(a) Marry an eight-year-old princess from Italy
(b) Remain single and celibate
(c) Marry Costanza, Queen of Castile
(d) Marry Alice Perrers to make her
5. What assumption has Katherine made about her release from the convent?
(a) That she's being transferred to another convent
(b) That someone has hired her as a governess
(c) That her sister Philippa has sent for her
(d) That a husband has been chosen for her and she will soon be married
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
2. Where does the duke take Katherine?
3. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
4. Why is Hugh confident he'll return by May?
5. Why does Katherine find Philippa's letter so upsetting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
2. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
3. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
4. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
5. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
6. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
7. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
8. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
9. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
10. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)