|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When John returns to celebrate St. George's Day, what does Katherine find Hawise doing in her bedroom?
(a) Ironing the bed sheets so they're very crisp
(b) Taking a nap in the big bed
(c) Shaking a roawn branch over the bed and muttering a curse hoping that Katherine will no longer conceive
(d) Removing the bed so that John and Katherine cannot conceive
2. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
(a) He thinks highly of her and that she would be a better wife than Costanza
(b) He doesn't reveal any thoughts on Katherine
(c) He wishes Katherine were of a better rank
(d) Very low, he think she's a slut
3. When Raulin and three men show up to escort Katherine and Hawise to Kettlethorpe, he mentions he has some letters from the duke to be delivered to people in Lincoln. Katherine is disappointed because the letters are not for her, but for:
(b) Robert Sutton
4. Initially, John tells Katherine he has called for her because:
(a) He thinks Katherine took something valuable of Blanche's and wants it back
(b) He wants to thank her for caring for Blanche at Bolingbroke
(c) He wants her to tell him what Blanche wore when she died
(d) He wants her to repeat word for word what the priest said when administering the last rites
5. Why does the duke insist on seeing Katherine before remarrying?
(a) He wants to know if, because Katherine was close to Blanche, she thinks Blanche would approve of the union
(b) He wants her permission to marry a queen
(c) He wants her opinion of his wedding attire
(d) He wants to see if he's over her
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katherine realize about herself after hearing Geoffrey read the love poem?
2. Katherine soon discovers the real reason she has been called upon:
3. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
4. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
5. The Duke's pious daughter Philippa worries about her father's relationship with Katherine because:
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
2. Despite seeing the cross at the entrance to Bolingbroke that indicates the estate has been contaminated by the Plague, Katherine goes in. Why does she take such a risk?
3. Shortly after her wedding, Katherine and Hugh stop at Waltham Abbey, where they visit a shrine containing a large black cross. What happens to Hugh at the shrine that foreshadows dark events to come?
4. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
5. Describe changes in Katherine now from the Katherine introduced at the start of this story:
6. What is Richard's reaction when the duke--who calls himself King of Castile--pledges his allegiance to him? Why?
7. Katherine's sister Philippa is engaged to the writer Geoffrey Chaucer and her future seems set. While Philippa is concerned about her younger sister's welfare, she's also jealous of her. Why?
8. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
9. Was it foolish of Katherine to refuse an escort back to Kettlethorpe? Why or why not?
10. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)