|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roger DeCheyne ask Katherine for?
(a) A big wet kiss
(b) A promise to leave Hugh if he wins the joust
(c) A blessing before battle
(d) A token for luck
2. The Friar, Brother William, doesn't suspect Katherine of foul play in Hugh's death. Instead, he believes that:
(a) Hugh's bowel burst
(b) Hugh didn't want to live anymore
(c) Hugh died of internal bleeding
(d) Hugh might have had a heart attack
3. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
(a) A little shabby but nothing that can't be fixed in a week
(b) Dilapidated, abandoned, in need of repair
(c) Beautifully manicured
(d) Burned to the ground, smoke rising from its ashes
4. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
(a) The Earl of March
(b) Richard, the Prince of Wales's son
(c) Brother William, friar
(d) The Earl of Sussex
5. Katherine visits the Pessoner home only to be suddenly called away by:
(a) The Duke of Lancaster, who requires her presence immediately
(b) The Duke of Yorkshire, who wants to meet her
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer, who needs her help editing his latest work
(d) The king, who no longer cares for Alice Perrers
Short Answer Questions
1. The meeting of the House of Commons yields several major accusations. The King's chamberlain, Lord Latimer, is accused of:
2. In addition to dystentery, what else plagues Hugh?
3. The Duke goes into seclusion after Blanche's burial, permitting only this person to see him:
4. What does Katherine try to prevent the servants from doing shortly before she gives birth?
5. Why does Katherine find Philippa's letter so upsetting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
2. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
3. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
4. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
5. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
6. Was it foolish of Katherine to refuse an escort back to Kettlethorpe? Why or why not?
7. Describe changes in Katherine now from the Katherine introduced at the start of this story:
8. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
9. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
10. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)