|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Katherine try to prevent the servants from doing shortly before she gives birth?
(a) Building a new wing on the house for the new baby
(b) Attending a wine festival
(c) Cooking anything with lamb in it
(d) Participating in a pagan ritual that involves sacrificing animals and drinking heavily
2. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
(a) He thanks Nirac for being a great loyal servant
(b) He snickers and says Hugh got what he deserved
(c) With joy
(d) With deep sadness
3. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
(a) There is almost no difference. The estates were built by the same architect
(b) It is newer but has no distinct characteristics
(c) It is beautiful, alive and welcoming
(d) Uglier and the property much smaller
4. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
(b) A bad heart
(c) Water-elf sickness
5. When Raulin and three men show up to escort Katherine and Hawise to Kettlethorpe, he mentions he has some letters from the duke to be delivered to people in Lincoln. Katherine is disappointed because the letters are not for her, but for:
(a) Robert Sutton
Short Answer Questions
1. What is disturbing John most at this point in his life?
2. After reversing the Parliament's measures, John still has two significant enemies:
3. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
4. Why does Katherine find Philippa's letter so upsetting?
5. Nirac overhears John's declaration to Katherine. He decides to take matters into his own hands by:
Short Essay Questions
1. After the king's men kill Wat the tiler, the king rides up to the front rebel lines and declares himself their leader, the leader they had hoped for. The rebels cheer. Why do you think the rebels are so quick to embrace Richard?
2. Why does Katherine risk revealing her true identity in front of the other peasants in order to save Cob?
3. Although Alice Perrers is free again and with the king, this status is short-lived when what happens? And what does she do?
4. The Bishop Courtenay, one of the duke's enemies, tells the angry mobs to stop rioting and go home. What do the mobs do to "content" themselves in the meantime?
5. Katherine meets her future husband Hugh Swyndon in this chapter of the story. Why does Katherine have reservations about marrying this man?
6. Describe Katherine's appearance after she decides she is responsible for the friar's death and her daughter's disappearance.
7. Who is Lady Julian and what does she help Katherine do?
8. It is now 1395. What has happened to Costanza?
9. It is ironic that Katherine goes back to Kettlethorpe?
10. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)