|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
(a) The money they're making from their estates
(b) A magic potion that will heal him instantly
(c) A new wine venture she has started that's sure to be successful
(d) Their children
2. Hugh is initially suspicious as to why the duke has forgiven his debts. When Katherine reassures him that it must be the Duke's way of thanking her for taking care of the Duchess, how does Hugh react?
(a) He kisses her passionately
(b) He kisses her left foot
(c) He kisses her hand lightly
(d) He slaps her across the face
3. Who prevents Nichola from drowning the newborn baby?
(a) The Duke of Lancaster
4. The Earl of March envies John, but thinks he has one strength and advantage that John does not:
(a) He is a better swordsman
(b) He is expecting children with several royal women
(c) He has fathered many bastard children
(d) The Earl is about to father a child who is closer to the throne than any of the Lancaster children
5. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
(a) She thinks Doucette, her horse, needs exercise
(b) She learns that Blanche, the Duchess, is also pregnant and rides her horse all of the time
(c) The servants refuse to take her
(d) She sees it as an opportunity to try to lose the baby
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Katherine's mother die?
2. What happens when Katherine goes alone to the courtyard?
3. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
4. Nirac's feelings toward Katherine go from loyalty to hatred. Resigned that he'll never be greatly admired by John, what does he do?
5. What worries Hawise about the affair between John and Katherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
2. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
3. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
4. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
5. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
6. Shortly after her wedding, Katherine and Hugh stop at Waltham Abbey, where they visit a shrine containing a large black cross. What happens to Hugh at the shrine that foreshadows dark events to come?
7. Who breaks up the fight between Roger DeCheyne and Hugh Swynford? And how does Katherine react to this?
8. What is Richard's reaction when the duke--who calls himself King of Castile--pledges his allegiance to him? Why?
9. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
10. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)