|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Geoffrey send Philippa to stay at Kettlethorpe?
(a) He has no money left to support her for the time being
(b) He doesn't give a reason
(c) So that she'll be away from the plague in London
(d) He needs to be alone in London so he can write
2. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
(a) With deep sadness
(b) He snickers and says Hugh got what he deserved
(c) With joy
(d) He thanks Nirac for being a great loyal servant
3. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He vows to give England to Castile
(b) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
(c) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
(d) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
4. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
5. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
(b) A bad heart
(c) Water-elf sickness
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Katherine not hesitate to go into the plague-contaminated Bolingbroke?
2. Describe Katherine's reaction to the pyx when it passes the Chaucer home?
3. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
4. With whom does Katherine form a lifelong friendship when she is at the Pessoner home?
5. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
2. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
3. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
4. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
5. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
6. Describe Bolingbroke. How is it different from Kettlethorpe?
7. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
8. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
9. What is Richard's reaction when the duke--who calls himself King of Castile--pledges his allegiance to him? Why?
10. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)