|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hugh takes the drink from Katherine and soon thereafter dreams of the Kettlethorpe Pooka Hound with "fiery-red eyes." What does the Pooka Hound symbolize?
(c) Long life and prosperity
(d) Nothing. He's just a crazy dog
2. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
(a) She thinks Doucette, her horse, needs exercise
(b) She sees it as an opportunity to try to lose the baby
(c) The servants refuse to take her
(d) She learns that Blanche, the Duchess, is also pregnant and rides her horse all of the time
3. Why does Hugh order Katherine to stay away from Nichola?
(a) Nichola is clumsy and might trip and fall on her
(b) He doesn't want his unborn child to catch his stepmother's illness
(c) Nichola is, in truth, a sorceress
(d) Nichola will smother her with affection
4. The Duke manages to get Katherine to go to Aquitaine under what pretense?
(a) The army needs a seamstress to repair the country's war flags
(b) Women are now being drafted and it's her time to go
(c) She needs to join other wives who are serving as nurses
(d) She needs to tend to Hugh who has been injured in battle
5. Why does the duke insist on seeing Katherine before remarrying?
(a) He wants to know if, because Katherine was close to Blanche, she thinks Blanche would approve of the union
(b) He wants to see if he's over her
(c) He wants her opinion of his wedding attire
(d) He wants her permission to marry a queen
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
2. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
3. What happens when Katherine goes alone to the courtyard?
4. The Duke goes into seclusion after Blanche's burial, permitting only this person to see him:
5. What worries Hawise about the affair between John and Katherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
2. Who breaks up the fight between Roger DeCheyne and Hugh Swynford? And how does Katherine react to this?
3. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
4. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
5. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
6. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
7. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
8. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
9. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
10. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)