|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hugh takes the drink from Katherine and soon thereafter dreams of the Kettlethorpe Pooka Hound with "fiery-red eyes." What does the Pooka Hound symbolize?
(b) Nothing. He's just a crazy dog
(c) Long life and prosperity
2. To whom is Hugh indebted?
(a) John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster
(b) The King
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer
(d) Alice Perrers
3. How does the sword fight between Hugh and Roger end?
(a) The Duke of Lancaster breaks it up
(b) Hugh wins
(c) It's a draw
(d) Roger wins
4. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
(a) John owes them money
(b) John is not the king's son but the son of a Flemish butcher
(c) John is actually not English, but French
(d) John is not the king's son but the son of a French tailor
5. After the queen finally meets Katherine, what does she order for the convent?
(b) Wine, money, and a novice with a dowry
(c) Wine and a novice with no dowry
(d) A declaration to close the convent
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
2. What announcement does the Duke of Lancaster make when he arrives?
3. In Parliament, the king seems to be interested only in:
4. The Earl of March envies John, but thinks he has one strength and advantage that John does not:
5. Why does Hugh order Katherine to stay away from Nichola?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe changes in Katherine now from the Katherine introduced at the start of this story:
2. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
3. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
4. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
5. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
6. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
7. What does Philippa, Katherine's older sister, say in a letter that upsets Katherine deeply?
8. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
9. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
10. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)