|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
(a) The living conditions at Kettlethorpe are horrible.
(b) She finds Katherine to be bad company
(c) Katherine complains that Philippa is too bossy
(d) Katherine cries for Blanche morning and night
2. Do Katherine and Blanche get along?
(a) Blanche is too busy to spend any time with Katherine, so it's hard to say
(b) Yes. They enjoy singing and sewing together
(c) They are civil to one another.
(d) Not at all. Blanche sees Katherine as another maid and treats her as such
3. Where does the duke take Katherine?
(c) The Captal de Buch's chateau
(d) Windsor Castle
4. When Hugh returns to Kettlethorpe from war, we discover he suffers from?
(a) Low blood-sugar
5. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He vows to give England to Castile
(b) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
(c) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
(d) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the sword fight between Hugh and Roger end?
2. Who, to Katherine's dismay, is in attendance at the ceremony commemorating the death of Blanche, the duke's first wife?
3. Katherine goes back to the Pessoners' and asks Hawise to:
4. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
5. Once Katherine is resigned to marrying Hugh, what does she give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
2. Who breaks up the fight between Roger DeCheyne and Hugh Swynford? And how does Katherine react to this?
3. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
4. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
5. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
6. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
7. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
8. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
9. Alice Perrers experiences the House of Commons's most viral attack. Of what do they accuse her?
10. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)