|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
(a) Water-elf sickness
(c) A bad heart
2. Nirac's feelings toward Katherine go from loyalty to hatred. Resigned that he'll never be greatly admired by John, what does he do?
(a) Secretly tells Costanza what is really going on
(b) Takes some drug and tells the Friar about the duke and Katherine
(d) Resigns his commission and moves to the countryside to become a farmer
3. What does Katherine try to prevent the servants from doing shortly before she gives birth?
(a) Attending a wine festival
(b) Participating in a pagan ritual that involves sacrificing animals and drinking heavily
(c) Building a new wing on the house for the new baby
(d) Cooking anything with lamb in it
4. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
(c) A nun from the convent
(d) Alice Perrers
5. What announcement does the Duke of Lancaster make when he arrives?
(a) Henry Trastamare has usurped the throne of Castile
(b) Henry prefers to be known as Harry, Prince of Wales
(c) Henry Trastamare has sailed with Christopher Columbus to the New World
(d) Henry won't attend the festivities
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
2. What does Geoffrey Chaucer feel about Katherine's relationship with John?
3. Hugh is initially suspicious as to why the duke has forgiven his debts. When Katherine reassures him that it must be the Duke's way of thanking her for taking care of the Duchess, how does Hugh react?
4. How does the sword fight between Hugh and Roger end?
5. The Friar, Brother William, doesn't suspect Katherine of foul play in Hugh's death. Instead, he believes that:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katherine do during her pregnancy that leads the servants to believe she might be losing her mind?
2. In this new phase of Katherine's life, she lives in the Inner Court at Kenilworth Castle. Once again, she is quite different from the Katherine at the beginning of the story, and the Katherine who was outwardly loyal and devoted to her abusive husband Hugh. Describe how she is once again different.
3. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
4. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
5. Shortly after her wedding, Katherine and Hugh stop at Waltham Abbey, where they visit a shrine containing a large black cross. What happens to Hugh at the shrine that foreshadows dark events to come?
6. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
7. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
8. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
9. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
10. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)