|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
(a) It is newer but has no distinct characteristics
(b) It is beautiful, alive and welcoming
(c) Uglier and the property much smaller
(d) There is almost no difference. The estates were built by the same architect
2. The Friar, Brother William, doesn't suspect Katherine of foul play in Hugh's death. Instead, he believes that:
(a) Hugh didn't want to live anymore
(b) Hugh might have had a heart attack
(c) Hugh's bowel burst
(d) Hugh died of internal bleeding
3. The Duke's pious daughter Philippa worries about her father's relationship with Katherine because:
(a) It's embarrassing to her
(b) They live in sin
(c) She fears being beheaded for her father's sins
(d) It's not convenient for her
4. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He vows to give England to Castile
(b) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
(c) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
(d) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
5. How does Katherine respond to John's amorous declaration?
(a) She no longer feels the same way toward him
(b) She met someone else and is deeply in love with this new man
(c) She has made a vow to Saint Catherine and she intends to keep it
(d) Hugh is a changed man and she thinks she's in love with him now
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Katherine from going to Bolingbroke sooner?
2. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
3. What is the name of the illness that the Prince of Wales has?
4. Who, to Katherine's dismay, is in attendance at the ceremony commemorating the death of Blanche, the duke's first wife?
5. Despite telling the Captal that he only loves Katherine, what must John do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
2. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
3. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
4. Despite seeing the cross at the entrance to Bolingbroke that indicates the estate has been contaminated by the Plague, Katherine goes in. Why does she take such a risk?
5. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
6. Katherine meets her future husband Hugh Swyndon in this chapter of the story. Why does Katherine have reservations about marrying this man?
7. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
8. Was it foolish of Katherine to refuse an escort back to Kettlethorpe? Why or why not?
9. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
10. Why does the duke become the "target of an angry, puzzled England"?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)