|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Katherine soon discovers the real reason she has been called upon:
(a) The Duke wants to declare his love for her
(b) The Duke suspects her of killing Blanche
(c) The Duke is making arrangements to send her back to the convent
(d) The Duke wants to banish her from England
2. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
(a) Alice Perrers
(d) A nun from the convent
3. Where does the duke take Katherine?
(a) Windsor Castle
(c) The Captal de Buch's chateau
4. Katherine reaches Blanche just in time to:
(a) Get a priest to administer last rites
(b) Get a judge to annul Blanche's marriage to the duke
(c) Hear Blanche tell her that the duke is not who she thinks he is
(d) Get a blessing to have an affair with the duke
5. How did Katherine's mother die?
(a) She took her own life
(b) She was trampled by a horse
(c) In childbirth
(d) From a mysterious disease
Short Answer Questions
1. The Duke manages to get Katherine to go to Aquitaine under what pretense?
2. In 1372, Costanza gives birth to a daughter named Catalina. What is that name's equivalent in English?
3. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
4. Initially, John tells Katherine he has called for her because:
5. Hugh is initially suspicious as to why the duke has forgiven his debts. When Katherine reassures him that it must be the Duke's way of thanking her for taking care of the Duchess, how does Hugh react?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Katherine's journey on the ship to Bordeaux.
2. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
3. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
4. What is Richard's reaction when the duke--who calls himself King of Castile--pledges his allegiance to him? Why?
5. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
6. When Katherine leaves the convent where she has lived for the past five years, she is excited because she has yearned to experience life outside the Sheppey Priory walls. During the journey to the queen's court, and upon her arrival, what kinds of people does she meet who make her quickly realize how protected a life she has led?
7. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
8. At first, the atmosphere surrounding Blanches' funeral and burial is very solemn, very sad. But it turns jovial and circus-like during the supper at court. What happens?
9. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
10. What happens between Nirac and Hugh that foreshadows trouble ahead?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)