|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nirac describe Costanza's appearance?
(a) So repulsive that it would be best to look elsewhere in her presence
(b) Shabby, bony, flat-chested with a hair shirt to remind her of her father
(c) Plain and forgetful
(d) Exquisite, voluptuous, dressed in the most beautiful dresses
2. What is disturbing John most at this point in his life?
(a) That Geoffrey Chaucer isn't writing a biography of him
(b) That no one will fully accept his relationship with Katherine
(c) The rumors circulating that he is a changeling
(d) That his brother, the Prince of Wales, is more handsome
3. What keeps Katherine from going to Bolingbroke sooner?
(a) Violent rainstorms ruin the road to Bolingbroke
(b) She has to wait until she can wean Thomas off her
(c) A robber stole her horse and Hugh won't give her another one
(d) She can't make up her mind if she really likes Blanche
4. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
(c) A nun from the convent
(d) Alice Perrers
5. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
(a) The money they're making from their estates
(b) Their children
(c) A new wine venture she has started that's sure to be successful
(d) A magic potion that will heal him instantly
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the illness that the Prince of Wales has?
2. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
3. What does Katherine realize about herself after hearing Geoffrey read the love poem?
4. Why is Costanza eager to make a pilgrimage to Canterbury?
5. After the queen finally meets Katherine, what does she order for the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
2. When the duke and Katherine meet, he decides to make a personal blazon of arms for her. What reason does he give for doing this?
3. Katherine meets her future husband Hugh Swyndon in this chapter of the story. Why does Katherine have reservations about marrying this man?
4. Initially the duke sends Katherine away, only to suddenly call her back when she's visiting Hawise and the Pessoners. Do you think the duke was rash to turn to Katherine so quickly?
5. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
6. What is Richard's reaction when the duke--who calls himself King of Castile--pledges his allegiance to him? Why?
7. Alice Perrers experiences the House of Commons's most viral attack. Of what do they accuse her?
8. Costanza tells John that she had a dream. What did she dream that sets this chapter into motion?
9. When Katherine arrives at the dilapidated Kettlethorpe, she meets Gibbon. What is Gibbon's role at the manor, and who is he in relation to Hugh?
10. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)