|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Duke goes into seclusion after Blanche's burial, permitting only this person to see him:
(a) Geoffrey Chaucer
(b) Raulin d'Ypres, his young Flemish body squire
(c) Hugh Swynford
(d) The king
2. What does Katherine realize about herself after hearing Geoffrey read the love poem?
(a) She makes all men who meet her fall in love with her
(b) He's not a very talented writer
(c) She liked his comic poetry more than his romantic verse
(d) She has never, and may never, experience true love
3. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
(a) He wishes Katherine were of a better rank
(b) He thinks highly of her and that she would be a better wife than Costanza
(c) Very low, he think she's a slut
(d) He doesn't reveal any thoughts on Katherine
4. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
(a) The money they're making from their estates
(b) Their children
(c) A new wine venture she has started that's sure to be successful
(d) A magic potion that will heal him instantly
5. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
(a) He thinks Katherine and the duke are in a serious romantic relationship
(b) He thinks he's in love with Katherine
(c) The Duke threatens him if he doesn't
(d) He has nothing else to do
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to dystentery, what else plagues Hugh?
2. What important event takes place in April 1369?
3. How does Nirac describe Costanza's appearance?
4. What does Roger DeCheyne ask Katherine for?
5. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it foolish of Katherine to refuse an escort back to Kettlethorpe? Why or why not?
2. Nirac becomes a pivotal character in this part of the duke and Katherine's lives. What does he do?
3. What happens to the duke after he exits the commemorative mass for Blanche, and how does he react?
4. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby daughter, and what happens right after the umbilical cord is cut?
5. What did you think of the duke when he expresses joy over Hugh's death?
6. Who takes Katherine from the pier to Hugh's lodgings when she arrives in Bordeaux? And how does Hugh receive this escort?
7. Despite seeing the cross at the entrance to Bolingbroke that indicates the estate has been contaminated by the Plague, Katherine goes in. Why does she take such a risk?
8. Despite his love for Katherine, who is the Duke of Lancaster hoping to marry, and why?
9. Despite Hugh's death and pledging their undying love for each other, Katherine and the duke cannot marry. Why?
10. Name some of the devastating events of 1369 and how they affect Kettlethorpe.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)