|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Ball leads mobs across England, demanding the heads of:
(a) Brother William and Katherine Swynford
(b) The Earl of March and Brother William
(c) Simon Sudbury, the Bishop, Robert Hales, the Treasurer, and John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster
(d) Katherine Swynford and Costanza, Queen of Castile
2. Katherine stays in a pilgrim hotel in Waltham. She hears the king will be arriving and hopes:
(a) That he has seen Blanchette
(b) That the Duke of Lancaster will be with him
(c) That he doesn't recognize her
(d) That he will bring her back into the royal fold
3. How have John's concerns about his heritage affected him?
(a) Hardly, he's as cool as ever
(b) He's too busy to think about those problems
(c) He feels the matter is resolved and doesn't understand why others are still questioning whether he's the king's son
(d) He's obsessed, on the verge of madness
4. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
(a) His uncle John, Duke of Lancaster
(b) Guy le Pessoner, fishmonger
(c) His uncle Thomas, Duke of Gloucester
(d) Little Hotspur, Percy's son
5. At Our Lady of Walsingham's shrine, what miracle does Katherine pray for?
(a) Hugh's return
(b) Costanza's death
(c) John's return
(d) Blanchette's return
6. What does the duke do with his children on Maundy Thursday?
(a) Wait for the poor to enter church, shut the doors and lock them up
(b) Wash the clothing of the poor, give them bread and cheese
(c) Wash the feet of the poor, feed them, and give them silver
(d) Wash the hands of the poor, give them gloves and chocolate
7. How does Katherine feel about being back at Kettlethorpe?
(a) She now appreciates it
(b) It makes her sick but she has to push herself to endure being there
(c) She is punishing herself with memories of Hugh
(d) She sees it as a chance to decorate it her way
8. What worries Katherine when she learns that both Trastamare and King Charles of France have died?
(a) She worries that she'll have to study French
(b) With the opportunity for England to take Castile, Costanza may not tolerate having Katherine around
(c) She worries that John will move to France and love a French woman
(d) She worries that Costanza will move to France and make John come there, too
9. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
(a) Takes some of his jewelry and flees
(b) Goes insane and locks herself up in a tower
(c) Makes a pass at his brother
(d) Poisons herself and climbs into his tomb
10. Lady Julian helps Katherine realize and feel the real love of God. Katherine then surprises herself by returning to:
(a) The Pessoners' home
(d) Sheppey Priory
11. Whose life does Katherine save during the king's visit?
(b) Father Oswald
(c) Percy of Northumberland
(d) Cob o'Fenton, a loyal servant to the Swyndons
12. Katherine receives a letter from the duke in which he requests she bring his daughter Philippa to Savoy for what reason?
(a) Costanza likes her and wants her at Savoy
(b) To discuss marriage negotiations
(c) He wants to tell her in person that she's going to a convent
(d) He wants to find a good university for her
13. What happens when Richard asks Thomas Swynford to try on the heavy crown?
(a) The Earl of March violently intervenes
(b) Thomas puts it on and falls to the ground
(c) Thomas suddenly becomes invisible
(d) The Duke of Lancaster violently intervenes
14. When Blanchette, who loves Robin, refuses to marry Ralph of Hastings, what does she say to Katherine?
(a) She tells Katherine she's wonderful and glad to have half-siblings
(b) She calls Katherine the duke's creature who gives birth to his bastards
(c) She calls Katherine a lovely creature
(d) She says nothing, thinking the silent treatment is the best response
15. Where does Katherine feel she should now return?
(a) Savoy, to rebuild it
(b) Sheppey, the convent
(d) Swynford, her husband's home
Short Answer Questions
1. In a conversation with Katherine, Brother William tells her that Pieter and the two monks have been banished to Cyprus. He also tells her to:
2. As the Savoy explodes and peasants pillage its wine cellars, Cob stares at Katherine lying unconscious on the ground. He considers stealing her purse but stops. Why?
3. Who does Philippa call an "ill-tempered virgin"?
4. Right before John leaves for Scotland, Katherine has a fit and says:
5. While staying at the Pessoners' home for her safety, Katherine discovers that Hawise's husband is gathering arms to do what?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)