|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Katherine sends a letter to the duke. In it she asks him to:
(a) Be with Costanza, for she'll make him happier than Katherine ever could
(b) Keep her children with him because she's too ashamed to meet them again
(c) Look for Blanchette but not worry about the other children
(d) Send her children to Kettlethorpe where she will raise them
2. Katherine initially decides against seeing John again. But Harry convinces her to be a part of the reunion because:
(a) He has hired a portrait artist to paint all of them together
(b) Leaving might prejudice the children against him
(c) He is afraid of being alone with John
(d) He hasn't had time to arrange an escort for her to go elsewhere
3. Katherine receives a letter from the duke in which he requests she bring his daughter Philippa to Savoy for what reason?
(a) He wants to tell her in person that she's going to a convent
(b) To discuss marriage negotiations
(c) He wants to find a good university for her
(d) Costanza likes her and wants her at Savoy
4. What does John discover upon his return to England?
(a) Katherine is in the castle tower and refuses to see anyone, including him
(b) The street names have changed and he's very confused
(c) Katherine took all of the family jewelry before leaving Savoy, now in ruins
(d) Savoy was destroyed and Katherine isn't there
5. Katherine stays in a pilgrim hotel in Waltham. She hears the king will be arriving and hopes:
(a) That the Duke of Lancaster will be with him
(b) That he will bring her back into the royal fold
(c) That he has seen Blanchette
(d) That he doesn't recognize her
6. As Katherine approaches Walsingham, she thinks of one word to describe her life since leaving the convent. What is that word?
7. What announcement does Katherine make to John in the spring?
(a) She's giving him up and becoming a nun
(b) She's no longer in love with him
(c) She's pregnant
(d) She's ill and dying
8. How is John Ball punished for inciting revolt against the poll tax?
(a) He is banished from England
(b) He is imprisoned in Kent
(c) He is sent to labor in the grape yards of Italy
(d) He is sent to the salt mines of Russia
9. Now legitimately married to John, and their children legitimized as well, Katherine is back at Windsor Castle. But are the ladies in court happy to have her back?
(a) Not at first, but they warm up to her and become intimate friends
(b) Yes, they sing and sew together
(c) No, they are not tolerant
(d) They don't have time to think about Katherine
10. Where is Costanza while the duke and Katherine publicly travel around England together?
(a) In Stratford-Upon-Avon
(b) In Castile
(c) In Paris
(d) In Hertford
11. When Blanchette, who loves Robin, refuses to marry Ralph of Hastings, what does she say to Katherine?
(a) She says nothing, thinking the silent treatment is the best response
(b) She calls Katherine the duke's creature who gives birth to his bastards
(c) She calls Katherine a lovely creature
(d) She tells Katherine she's wonderful and glad to have half-siblings
12. Who does Katherine meet who helps her change her life around?
(a) Lady Julian
(b) Cob o'Fenton
(c) Father Clement
(d) The King's squire
13. In a quiet, blissful moment, John and Katherine hear a shrill trumpet followed by the sight of a king's herald galloping toward the castle. John's tone changes into a "down-dragging voice". Why?
(a) He thinks his Castilian daughter has sent a mean message
(b) He has a foreboding of danger
(c) He wants to stay in the garden with Katherine
(d) He thinks the king is calling him to another dinner he doesn't want to attend
14. Who does Philippa call an "ill-tempered virgin"?
(a) Princess Joan
(b) Eleanor de Bohun
15. How does Katherine feel about being back at Kettlethorpe?
(a) She is punishing herself with memories of Hugh
(b) She sees it as a chance to decorate it her way
(c) She now appreciates it
(d) It makes her sick but she has to push herself to endure being there
Short Answer Questions
1. Two years later the Duke of Lancaster dies after only how many years of being legitimately married to Katherine?
2. The Duke challenges Percy to mortal combat. Who shows up to fight him?
3. What worries Katherine when she learns that both Trastamare and King Charles of France have died?
4. As the Savoy explodes and peasants pillage its wine cellars, Cob stares at Katherine lying unconscious on the ground. He considers stealing her purse but stops. Why?
5. Although Wat the tiler dresses up for his meeting with the king and tries to befriend the king, the king's squire calls Wat, "the greatest knave and robber in all Kent" because he shows no respect for the king. What happens to Wat after the squire's statement?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)