|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John realize is causing his insanity?
(a) Deep grief from childhood. Isolda promised him she wouldn't leave him then died
(b) He still has no idea. He thinks he's fine and that everyone around him has some silly idea he's crazy
(c) His lack of war victories
(d) The women in his life
2. Katherine stays in a pilgrim hotel in Waltham. She hears the king will be arriving and hopes:
(a) That he has seen Blanchette
(b) That he doesn't recognize her
(c) That the Duke of Lancaster will be with him
(d) That he will bring her back into the royal fold
3. Katherine sends a letter to the duke. In it she asks him to:
(a) Keep her children with him because she's too ashamed to meet them again
(b) Send her children to Kettlethorpe where she will raise them
(c) Look for Blanchette but not worry about the other children
(d) Be with Costanza, for she'll make him happier than Katherine ever could
4. Right before John leaves for Scotland, Katherine has a fit and says:
(a) She saw the Pooka Hound of Kettelthorpe
(b) She doesn't like Scotland, so they'll have to arrange meeting elsewhere
(c) She thinks their love is in danger
(d) She is expecting twins
5. What does Richard do after the Duke of Lancaster's death?
(a) He confiscates all of the Lancastrian estates
(b) He kicks Katherine and her children out of Windsor
(c) He executes every last member of the Lancaster clan
(d) He goes into seclusion in the tower and mourns his death for six months
6. Who does Philippa call an "ill-tempered virgin"?
(b) Eleanor de Bohun
(c) Princess Joan
7. At the Pessoners, Geoffrey calls the hatred of the duke senseless and unjust. What does Katherine say about that?
(a) She now believes it was God's punishment for her affair with John
(b) She completely agrees and wants to find a way to change people's minds.
(c) Katherine disagrees with Geoffrey because she too, now hates the duke
(d) Katherine feels Geoffrey is being disloyal and unfair
8. Thomas Swynford is now nineteen and a knight. Who does he serve?
(a) Henry of Bolingbroke, his half brother
(b) Costanza, the Queen of Castile
(c) Princess Joan
(d) The Duke of Lancaster
9. As the Savoy explodes and peasants pillage its wine cellars, Cob stares at Katherine lying unconscious on the ground. He considers stealing her purse but stops. Why?
(a) He sees the Swynford coat of arms which remind him of home and his long family history of loyalty to the Swynfords
(b) He would become a target of other peasants if the purse is found on him
(c) The purse reminds him of his long family history of stealing and he wants to break the cycle
(d) He knows that without her purse, Katherine stands less of a chance at survival than him
10. Two years later the Duke of Lancaster dies after only how many years of being legitimately married to Katherine?
11. Who orders Katherine to Kennington?
(a) The Duke
(c) Princess Joan, John's sister and mother of Prince Richard
(d) The King
12. Robin, playing the Lord of Misrule, shouts "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He then kisses:
(c) Princess Joan
13. What does John discover upon his return to England?
(a) Savoy was destroyed and Katherine isn't there
(b) The street names have changed and he's very confused
(c) Katherine took all of the family jewelry before leaving Savoy, now in ruins
(d) Katherine is in the castle tower and refuses to see anyone, including him
14. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine, he brings with him a letter from his father. On it is a seal which indicates:
(a) John is now King of Italy
(b) John is indeed the son of a Flemish man
(c) John is no longer the King of Castile
(d) John has redesigned his coat of arms to indicate his greater wealth
15. According to the Baron de la Pole, what two things did the duke do for Katherine to express his everlasting love and respect for her?
(a) He became celibate and stopped drinking
(b) He cut off the finger on which he wore her ring and never kissed another woman
(c) He built the Chapel to Saint Catherine and he never publicly renounced her as was rumored
(d) He built the women's college of Saint Catherine and established a convent in her name
Short Answer Questions
1. In a conversation with Katherine, Brother William tells her that Pieter and the two monks have been banished to Cyprus. He also tells her to:
2. Janet, Katherine's daughter-in-law, has a theory about why Katherine doesn't see her son Thomas much. What is Janet's theory?
3. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
4. Why does John turn down the idea that he should stay in Scotland because the people here love him and will likely give him an army?
5. Where is Katherine buried?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)