|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day of what year does Henry of Bolingbroke get married?
(a) March 15, 1380
(b) July 15, 1380
(c) New Year's Day, 1380
(d) Christmas Day, 1380
2. Whose life does Katherine save during the king's visit?
(a) Cob o'Fenton, a loyal servant to the Swyndons
(b) Father Oswald
(d) Percy of Northumberland
3. What initially saves Katherine and Blanchette from the mob when they break into the palace?
(a) Their big English hats. It conceals their faces.
(b) Their plain faces without makeup. They are unrecognizable without color.
(c) Their dull grey clothing. It conceals who they are.
(d) Their fake cockney accents, which make them sound like peasants.
4. How old is Katherine now?
(a) It's unclear. The narrator doesn't ever reveal Katherine's true age
5. John has one request in his letter to Katherine:
(a) To stay and see him with the children
(b) To not be at Kettlethorpe but at a nearby location during his visit
(c) To switch places with him
(d) To not be present when he visits
6. According to the Baron de la Pole, what two things did the duke do for Katherine to express his everlasting love and respect for her?
(a) He cut off the finger on which he wore her ring and never kissed another woman
(b) He built the women's college of Saint Catherine and established a convent in her name
(c) He became celibate and stopped drinking
(d) He built the Chapel to Saint Catherine and he never publicly renounced her as was rumored
7. The Duke challenges Percy to mortal combat. Who shows up to fight him?
(a) No one, John stands in a field waiting and waiting
(b) Percy's son, Little Hotspur
(c) A mob of angry peasants
(d) Percy of Northumberland, as promised
8. Who orders Katherine to Kennington?
(a) The Duke
(b) Princess Joan, John's sister and mother of Prince Richard
(d) The King
9. Where is Katherine buried?
(a) The National Cathedral
(b) In a small Swynford family plot
(c) Lincoln Cathedral
(d) St. Paul's Cathedral
10. King Richard and his queen are about to travel through England on a goodwill tour to boost his popularity. Their visit to Lincoln will be their first in how many years?
11. In a conversation with Brother William, what does Katherine discover about the preacher John Ball?
(a) He has given up inciting riots and is just planning to assassinate the duke in Scotland
(b) He has escaped the salt mines in Russia and is on his way to Scotland
(c) He was released from prison for good behavior and is running for a seat in the House of Commons
(d) He has been released from prison and is starting riots in Kent
12. Two nuns arrive at the castle to see Katherine. One is name Ursula, who in fact turns out to be the long-lost Blanchette. Blanchette says she has returned because:
(a) She has no money or home and nowhere else to go
(b) She has been given unprecedented power to absolve Katherine of her sins
(c) She has been ordered by the church to take Katherine to the convent
(d) She could no longer live with her hatred for Katherine
13. Katherine visits her beloved Blanche's tomb. In the tomb, she hears Blanche's voice and decides:
(a) To leave everything and everyone and disappear without a trace
(b) To make a pilgrimmage to Canterbury
(c) To go to Scotland and talk to the duke
(d) To make a pilgrimmage to Our Lady Walsingham
14. Where does Richard die?
(a) In a remote castle where he starves to death under the constable, Thomas Swynford
(b) In Windsor Castle
(c) In Waltham Abbey
(d) In France
15. How does Cob manage to gain entry for himself and Katherine into the Pessoners' home?
(a) He bangs the door down
(b) He gives them a barrel of fine wine he took from the castle
(c) He sneaks in the through the back, which is unlocked
(d) He offers Katherine's purse with the jewels inside
Short Answer Questions
1. In a quiet, blissful moment, John and Katherine hear a shrill trumpet followed by the sight of a king's herald galloping toward the castle. John's tone changes into a "down-dragging voice". Why?
2. Who does Katherine meet who helps her change her life around?
3. Right before Brother William dies, what does he tell Katherine about Hugh's death?
4. Katherine stays in a pilgrim hotel in Waltham. She hears the king will be arriving and hopes:
5. Although Richard has remarried to an eight year old, he occasionally thinks of his dead wife Anne. What are his thoughts regarding her?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)