|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robin, playing the Lord of Misrule, shouts "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He then kisses:
(c) Princess Joan
2. Where does Richard die?
(a) In a remote castle where he starves to death under the constable, Thomas Swynford
(b) In France
(c) In Waltham Abbey
(d) In Windsor Castle
3. What does Katherine find at the duke's gatehouse that brands him a traitor?
(a) A ten-foot high cross, painted in black
(b) The Duke's shield, painted in red
(c) The duke's shield, turned upside down
(d) A four-foot high cross, painted red
4. What does John realize is causing his insanity?
(a) Deep grief from childhood. Isolda promised him she wouldn't leave him then died
(b) The women in his life
(c) His lack of war victories
(d) He still has no idea. He thinks he's fine and that everyone around him has some silly idea he's crazy
5. Katherine receives a letter from the duke in which he requests she bring his daughter Philippa to Savoy for what reason?
(a) He wants to find a good university for her
(b) Costanza likes her and wants her at Savoy
(c) To discuss marriage negotiations
(d) He wants to tell her in person that she's going to a convent
6. How is John Ball punished for inciting revolt against the poll tax?
(a) He is sent to labor in the grape yards of Italy
(b) He is imprisoned in Kent
(c) He is sent to the salt mines of Russia
(d) He is banished from England
7. Now legitimately married to John, and their children legitimized as well, Katherine is back at Windsor Castle. But are the ladies in court happy to have her back?
(a) Not at first, but they warm up to her and become intimate friends
(b) No, they are not tolerant
(c) They don't have time to think about Katherine
(d) Yes, they sing and sew together
8. Lady Julian helps Katherine realize and feel the real love of God. Katherine then surprises herself by returning to:
(b) The Pessoners' home
(d) Sheppey Priory
9. Janet, Katherine's daughter-in-law, has a theory about why Katherine doesn't see her son Thomas much. What is Janet's theory?
(a) Katherine doesn't like Janet
(b) Katherine is removing herself from society
(c) Katherine thinks Thomas is unpleasant like his late father
(d) Katherine prefers her illegitimate children with thedDuke to her natural children with Hugh
10. Why does John turn down the idea that he should stay in Scotland because the people here love him and will likely give him an army?
(a) He cannot be without Katherine
(b) John confesses he doesn't like the Scots
(c) John says he's not a traitor and stands by his king
(d) John confesses he can't communicate with the Scots because of their accent
11. As Katherine regains her memory of the moments before Brother Williams' death, she tells Dame Emma that it wasn't the friar's blood that drove Blanchette away, but probably:
(a) Madness, for she had been showing signs of it beforehand
(b) The size of the mob approaching them
(c) The revelation that he believed Katherine had murdered Hugh
(d) That he believes Katherine is a witch
12. John has one request in his letter to Katherine:
(a) To not be present when he visits
(b) To not be at Kettlethorpe but at a nearby location during his visit
(c) To stay and see him with the children
(d) To switch places with him
13. How old is Katherine now?
(a) It's unclear. The narrator doesn't ever reveal Katherine's true age
14. On what day of what year does Henry of Bolingbroke get married?
(a) July 15, 1380
(b) Christmas Day, 1380
(c) New Year's Day, 1380
(d) March 15, 1380
15. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
(a) Goes insane and locks herself up in a tower
(b) Poisons herself and climbs into his tomb
(c) Makes a pass at his brother
(d) Takes some of his jewelry and flees
Short Answer Questions
1. Katherine sends a letter to the duke. In it she asks him to:
2. Guy Pessoner visits Katherine and tells her that the king, Princess Joan, the archbishop, the treasurer, and a few other lords have hidden themselves in the tower because:
3. What does Cob do to reawaken the unconscious Katherine?
4. Right before Brother William dies, what does he tell Katherine about Hugh's death?
5. In a conversation with Brother William, what does Katherine discover about the preacher John Ball?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)