|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Richard has remarried to an eight year old, he occasionally thinks of his dead wife Anne. What are his thoughts regarding her?
(a) He has suspicions that she was murdered
(b) He misses her laughter
(c) He should have married someone else
(d) He wishes she were alive and that his current wife could be his mistress
2. What does the duke do with his children on Maundy Thursday?
(a) Wash the hands of the poor, give them gloves and chocolate
(b) Wash the feet of the poor, feed them, and give them silver
(c) Wait for the poor to enter church, shut the doors and lock them up
(d) Wash the clothing of the poor, give them bread and cheese
3. John has one request in his letter to Katherine:
(a) To stay and see him with the children
(b) To not be at Kettlethorpe but at a nearby location during his visit
(c) To not be present when he visits
(d) To switch places with him
4. In a conversation with Brother William, what does Katherine discover about the preacher John Ball?
(a) He was released from prison for good behavior and is running for a seat in the House of Commons
(b) He has been released from prison and is starting riots in Kent
(c) He has given up inciting riots and is just planning to assassinate the duke in Scotland
(d) He has escaped the salt mines in Russia and is on his way to Scotland
5. Robin, playing the Lord of Misrule, shouts "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He then kisses:
(c) Princess Joan
6. Katherine tries to get John to reveal the root of his fear. When he feels he can completely trust her with what is troubling him, he says her:
(a) He knows exactly what the problem is and that he wants her to leave him alone
(b) He hears witchcraft and that he thinks Pieter has cast a spell on him
(c) That she frightens him more than anyone
(d) That she's not a mental health expert and she needs to leave him alone
7. What does John realize is causing his insanity?
(a) His lack of war victories
(b) Deep grief from childhood. Isolda promised him she wouldn't leave him then died
(c) The women in his life
(d) He still has no idea. He thinks he's fine and that everyone around him has some silly idea he's crazy
8. What does Richard do after the Duke of Lancaster's death?
(a) He kicks Katherine and her children out of Windsor
(b) He goes into seclusion in the tower and mourns his death for six months
(c) He confiscates all of the Lancastrian estates
(d) He executes every last member of the Lancaster clan
9. The Duke challenges Percy to mortal combat. Who shows up to fight him?
(a) A mob of angry peasants
(b) No one, John stands in a field waiting and waiting
(c) Percy's son, Little Hotspur
(d) Percy of Northumberland, as promised
10. According to the Baron de la Pole, what two things did the duke do for Katherine to express his everlasting love and respect for her?
(a) He built the Chapel to Saint Catherine and he never publicly renounced her as was rumored
(b) He cut off the finger on which he wore her ring and never kissed another woman
(c) He built the women's college of Saint Catherine and established a convent in her name
(d) He became celibate and stopped drinking
11. What does Father Oswald refuse to grant Katherine after she confesses?
(b) A meeting with the Pope
(d) Annulment of her marriage to Hugh
12. What does John discover upon his return to England?
(a) Katherine took all of the family jewelry before leaving Savoy, now in ruins
(b) The street names have changed and he's very confused
(c) Katherine is in the castle tower and refuses to see anyone, including him
(d) Savoy was destroyed and Katherine isn't there
13. Where is the trial of John Wyclef held, and why there?
(a) Wembley Stadium, since it's large enough to hold the massive crowds
(b) Windsor Castle, since it's large enough for the throngs attending
(c) St. Paul's Cathedral, as huge crowds are attending
(d) Savoy Castle, as John insisted on having it on his territory
14. How old is Richard of Bordeaux when he's coronated?
15. After signing truce agreements with Scotland, the duke suddenly learns he cannot:
(a) Re-enter Castile
(c) Re-enter England.
(d) Live with Katherine anywhere in the kingdom
Short Answer Questions
1. Katherine stays in a pilgrim hotel in Waltham. She hears the king will be arriving and hopes:
2. What announcement does Katherine make to John in the spring?
3. Thomas Swynford is now nineteen and a knight. Who does he serve?
4. How does Cob manage to gain entry for himself and Katherine into the Pessoners' home?
5. At one point, Cob whispers to himself: "I didn't rightly believe 'twould ever happen." What did he not believe would happen?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)