|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Ball leads mobs across England, demanding the heads of:
(a) Simon Sudbury, the Bishop, Robert Hales, the Treasurer, and John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster
(b) Katherine Swynford and Costanza, Queen of Castile
(c) Brother William and Katherine Swynford
(d) The Earl of March and Brother William
2. Katherine initially decides against seeing John again. But Harry convinces her to be a part of the reunion because:
(a) Leaving might prejudice the children against him
(b) He is afraid of being alone with John
(c) He hasn't had time to arrange an escort for her to go elsewhere
(d) He has hired a portrait artist to paint all of them together
3. What worries Katherine when she learns that both Trastamare and King Charles of France have died?
(a) She worries that John will move to France and love a French woman
(b) With the opportunity for England to take Castile, Costanza may not tolerate having Katherine around
(c) She worries that Costanza will move to France and make John come there, too
(d) She worries that she'll have to study French
4. What confession does Pieter make when surrounded by Appleton and others?
(a) That Alice Perrers is John's real mother
(b) That Katherine and John are actually siblings
(c) That Bishop Courtenay is in fact John's father
(d) He says that the Bishop Courtenay paid him to make placards about the falseness of John's heritage
5. Where is Costanza while the duke and Katherine publicly travel around England together?
(a) In Hertford
(b) In Castile
(c) In Paris
(d) In Stratford-Upon-Avon
6. Katherine tries to get John to reveal the root of his fear. When he feels he can completely trust her with what is troubling him, he says her:
(a) He knows exactly what the problem is and that he wants her to leave him alone
(b) That she's not a mental health expert and she needs to leave him alone
(c) That she frightens him more than anyone
(d) He hears witchcraft and that he thinks Pieter has cast a spell on him
7. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
(a) His uncle John, Duke of Lancaster
(b) Little Hotspur, Percy's son
(c) Guy le Pessoner, fishmonger
(d) His uncle Thomas, Duke of Gloucester
8. Who is now the master at Kettlethorpe?
(a) Robert Sutton
(b) Hawise's husband Jack
(c) John Ball
(d) Cob o'Fenton
9. At Our Lady of Walsingham's shrine, what miracle does Katherine pray for?
(a) Blanchette's return
(b) Hugh's return
(c) John's return
(d) Costanza's death
10. What is the main message or theme of this chapter?
(a) That love conquers all.
(b) If you're powerful, you will go crazy.
(c) That when you're stressed out, it's good to rest and wake up hungry
(d) Always question who your parents are.
11. John has one request in his letter to Katherine:
(a) To stay and see him with the children
(b) To not be present when he visits
(c) To switch places with him
(d) To not be at Kettlethorpe but at a nearby location during his visit
12. Robin, playing the Lord of Misrule, shouts "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He then kisses:
(c) Princess Joan
13. What shocking news does Katherine learn about the king's plans?
(a) He lied to the serfs to stop the riots but has no intention of setting them free permanently
(b) He will soon strip all royalty and landed gentry of their titles
(c) He lured the duke back to England to execute him
(d) He will suggest that all of Europe merge into one, creating a union
14. After signing truce agreements with Scotland, the duke suddenly learns he cannot:
(a) Live with Katherine anywhere in the kingdom
(b) Re-enter England.
(c) Re-enter Castile
15. Whose life does Katherine save during the king's visit?
(a) Cob o'Fenton, a loyal servant to the Swyndons
(b) Father Oswald
(d) Percy of Northumberland
Short Answer Questions
1. Katherine visits her beloved Blanche's tomb. In the tomb, she hears Blanche's voice and decides:
2. What is the reaction of the servants to Katherine's return to Kettlethorpe?
3. Richard has no heir, which raises his suspicions toward Katherine. Why?
4. Katherine stays in a pilgrim hotel in Waltham. She hears the king will be arriving and hopes:
5. Although Wat the tiler dresses up for his meeting with the king and tries to befriend the king, the king's squire calls Wat, "the greatest knave and robber in all Kent" because he shows no respect for the king. What happens to Wat after the squire's statement?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)