|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine, he brings with him a letter from his father. On it is a seal which indicates:
(a) John has redesigned his coat of arms to indicate his greater wealth
(b) John is indeed the son of a Flemish man
(c) John is now King of Italy
(d) John is no longer the King of Castile
2. What announcement does Katherine make to John in the spring?
(a) She's pregnant
(b) She's giving him up and becoming a nun
(c) She's no longer in love with him
(d) She's ill and dying
3. On what day of what year does Henry of Bolingbroke get married?
(a) Christmas Day, 1380
(b) March 15, 1380
(c) New Year's Day, 1380
(d) July 15, 1380
4. At Our Lady of Walsingham's shrine, what miracle does Katherine pray for?
(a) Hugh's return
(b) John's return
(c) Blanchette's return
(d) Costanza's death
5. Who does the king's squire, Robin, think is a challenge for the duke?
(a) Katherine and Costanza
(b) The wealthy bishops
(d) The peasants
6. Why does John turn down the idea that he should stay in Scotland because the people here love him and will likely give him an army?
(a) He cannot be without Katherine
(b) John confesses he can't communicate with the Scots because of their accent
(c) John says he's not a traitor and stands by his king
(d) John confesses he doesn't like the Scots
7. Henry returns to England and Richard is forced to:
(a) Share the throne with Henry
(b) Divorce his eight-year-old wife
(c) Publicly apologize for lying to peasants
(d) Abdicate the throne in favor of Henry
8. Although Wat the tiler dresses up for his meeting with the king and tries to befriend the king, the king's squire calls Wat, "the greatest knave and robber in all Kent" because he shows no respect for the king. What happens to Wat after the squire's statement?
(a) Nothing. Everyone, including the king, ignores the squire
(b) The king slaps Wat and tells him to kneel on the ground before him
(c) He gets killed by the king's men
(d) The king tells his squire he is greatly mistaken, then fires his squire
9. How old is Richard of Bordeaux when he's coronated?
10. Two years later the Duke of Lancaster dies after only how many years of being legitimately married to Katherine?
11. Katherine tries to get John to reveal the root of his fear. When he feels he can completely trust her with what is troubling him, he says her:
(a) He knows exactly what the problem is and that he wants her to leave him alone
(b) That she frightens him more than anyone
(c) He hears witchcraft and that he thinks Pieter has cast a spell on him
(d) That she's not a mental health expert and she needs to leave him alone
12. While staying at the Pessoners' home for her safety, Katherine discovers that Hawise's husband is gathering arms to do what?
(a) Use against the duke
(b) To give to the French
(c) Practice shooting
(d) To give to the Cantons
13. At the Pessoners, Geoffrey calls the hatred of the duke senseless and unjust. What does Katherine say about that?
(a) She completely agrees and wants to find a way to change people's minds.
(b) She now believes it was God's punishment for her affair with John
(c) Katherine feels Geoffrey is being disloyal and unfair
(d) Katherine disagrees with Geoffrey because she too, now hates the duke
14. How have John's concerns about his heritage affected him?
(a) He's too busy to think about those problems
(b) Hardly, he's as cool as ever
(c) He feels the matter is resolved and doesn't understand why others are still questioning whether he's the king's son
(d) He's obsessed, on the verge of madness
15. Who does Philippa call an "ill-tempered virgin"?
(a) Eleanor de Bohun
(d) Princess Joan
Short Answer Questions
1. Two nuns arrive at the castle to see Katherine. One is name Ursula, who in fact turns out to be the long-lost Blanchette. Blanchette says she has returned because:
2. What does Brother William say John Ball is now preaching to the serfs?
3. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
4. The king reads the message from John and decides:
5. Thomas Swynford is now nineteen and a knight. Who does he serve?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)