|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John turn down the idea that he should stay in Scotland because the people here love him and will likely give him an army?
(a) John confesses he doesn't like the Scots
(b) He cannot be without Katherine
(c) John says he's not a traitor and stands by his king
(d) John confesses he can't communicate with the Scots because of their accent
2. After signing truce agreements with Scotland, the duke suddenly learns he cannot:
(a) Re-enter Castile
(b) Live with Katherine anywhere in the kingdom
(c) Re-enter England.
3. Katherine initially decides against seeing John again. But Harry convinces her to be a part of the reunion because:
(a) He hasn't had time to arrange an escort for her to go elsewhere
(b) He has hired a portrait artist to paint all of them together
(c) Leaving might prejudice the children against him
(d) He is afraid of being alone with John
4. How does Katherine feel about being back at Kettlethorpe?
(a) She sees it as a chance to decorate it her way
(b) She is punishing herself with memories of Hugh
(c) She now appreciates it
(d) It makes her sick but she has to push herself to endure being there
5. Where does Katherine take Geoffrey to tell him about the guilt she feels and everything she now believes has gone wrong in her life?
(a) The Pessoners' back yard
(b) To the ruins of Savoy
(c) To see Brother William's head
(d) To Blanche's tomb
6. In a conversation with Brother William, what does Katherine discover about the preacher John Ball?
(a) He has been released from prison and is starting riots in Kent
(b) He was released from prison for good behavior and is running for a seat in the House of Commons
(c) He has given up inciting riots and is just planning to assassinate the duke in Scotland
(d) He has escaped the salt mines in Russia and is on his way to Scotland
7. Now legitimately married to John, and their children legitimized as well, Katherine is back at Windsor Castle. But are the ladies in court happy to have her back?
(a) They don't have time to think about Katherine
(b) Not at first, but they warm up to her and become intimate friends
(c) Yes, they sing and sew together
(d) No, they are not tolerant
8. John Ball leads mobs across England, demanding the heads of:
(a) Katherine Swynford and Costanza, Queen of Castile
(b) The Earl of March and Brother William
(c) Simon Sudbury, the Bishop, Robert Hales, the Treasurer, and John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster
(d) Brother William and Katherine Swynford
9. What controversial statement does John Wyclef make about the sacredness of Mass?
(a) That the wine and the wafer are really the body and blood of the Virgin Mary
(b) That it should not be held on Sundays, but on Wednesdays
(c) The wine and the wafer are mere symbols, not the actual body and blood of Christ
(d) That the wine and the wafer should be replaced by brandy and cake
10. What is the reaction of the servants to Katherine's return to Kettlethorpe?
(a) They are happy and hopeful for the future
(b) Disappointed because she reminds them of the ugly past
(c) They don't react much, because Robert Sutton is the real boss
(d) Skeptical because they're all new and have no idea what to expect of her
11. In a conversation with Katherine, Brother William tells her that Pieter and the two monks have been banished to Cyprus. He also tells her to:
(a) Give up her love for John because he foresees it ending in disaster
(b) Find a way to convince the king to allow unmarried couples to live without shame
(c) Give up her love for John because he's really in love with Costanza
(d) Get on the next ship to anywhere because there's a reward for her head
12. How old is Richard of Bordeaux when he's coronated?
13. Janet, Katherine's daughter-in-law, has a theory about why Katherine doesn't see her son Thomas much. What is Janet's theory?
(a) Katherine is removing herself from society
(b) Katherine prefers her illegitimate children with thedDuke to her natural children with Hugh
(c) Katherine thinks Thomas is unpleasant like his late father
(d) Katherine doesn't like Janet
14. Because Katherine doesn't deny that she had hoped for Hugh's death, what does Blanchette now believe?
(a) Life is short and one must savor every moment
(b) Brother William could have saved her father's life but didn't try
(c) Her mother murdered her father
(d) There must have been a good, solid reason for Katherine's actions
15. At the Pessoners, Geoffrey calls the hatred of the duke senseless and unjust. What does Katherine say about that?
(a) Katherine disagrees with Geoffrey because she too, now hates the duke
(b) Katherine feels Geoffrey is being disloyal and unfair
(c) She completely agrees and wants to find a way to change people's minds.
(d) She now believes it was God's punishment for her affair with John
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Costanza while the duke and Katherine publicly travel around England together?
2. What does the duke do with his children on Maundy Thursday?
3. Where does Katherine feel she should now return?
4. What does Father Oswald refuse to grant Katherine after she confesses?
5. Thomas Swynford is now nineteen and a knight. Who does he serve?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)