|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
(a) Poisons herself and climbs into his tomb
(b) Goes insane and locks herself up in a tower
(c) Takes some of his jewelry and flees
(d) Makes a pass at his brother
2. Katherine tries to get John to reveal the root of his fear. When he feels he can completely trust her with what is troubling him, he says her:
(a) That she frightens him more than anyone
(b) He knows exactly what the problem is and that he wants her to leave him alone
(c) That she's not a mental health expert and she needs to leave him alone
(d) He hears witchcraft and that he thinks Pieter has cast a spell on him
3. What does the duke do with his children on Maundy Thursday?
(a) Wait for the poor to enter church, shut the doors and lock them up
(b) Wash the clothing of the poor, give them bread and cheese
(c) Wash the hands of the poor, give them gloves and chocolate
(d) Wash the feet of the poor, feed them, and give them silver
4. Katherine's daughter Joan says her brother Thomas hates the king, saying he describes the king as:
(a) Womanish, soft-bellied and two-tongued
(b) Uglier than the Hunchback of Notre Dame
(c) Scarier than the devil
(d) So sickly he could knock him down by just touching him
5. Henry returns to England and Richard is forced to:
(a) Share the throne with Henry
(b) Publicly apologize for lying to peasants
(c) Divorce his eight-year-old wife
(d) Abdicate the throne in favor of Henry
6. What shocking news does Katherine learn about the king's plans?
(a) He will suggest that all of Europe merge into one, creating a union
(b) He will soon strip all royalty and landed gentry of their titles
(c) He lied to the serfs to stop the riots but has no intention of setting them free permanently
(d) He lured the duke back to England to execute him
7. Who orders Katherine to Kennington?
(a) The King
(c) Princess Joan, John's sister and mother of Prince Richard
(d) The Duke
8. Because Katherine doesn't deny that she had hoped for Hugh's death, what does Blanchette now believe?
(a) Life is short and one must savor every moment
(b) Brother William could have saved her father's life but didn't try
(c) There must have been a good, solid reason for Katherine's actions
(d) Her mother murdered her father
9. The king reads the message from John and decides:
(a) John will stay in Scotland and Percy will be welcomed to England
(b) He cannot decipher John's strange message so nothing happens
(c) Percy of Northumberland did the right thing and will be rewarded
(d) Percy of Northumberland's actions had no royal sanction, so he welcomes John back to England
10. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
(a) Guy le Pessoner, fishmonger
(b) His uncle Thomas, Duke of Gloucester
(c) His uncle John, Duke of Lancaster
(d) Little Hotspur, Percy's son
11. After signing truce agreements with Scotland, the duke suddenly learns he cannot:
(a) Re-enter England.
(b) Live with Katherine anywhere in the kingdom
(c) Re-enter Castile
12. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine, he brings with him a letter from his father. On it is a seal which indicates:
(a) John is indeed the son of a Flemish man
(b) John is no longer the King of Castile
(c) John is now King of Italy
(d) John has redesigned his coat of arms to indicate his greater wealth
13. At one point, Cob whispers to himself: "I didn't rightly believe 'twould ever happen." What did he not believe would happen?
(a) He didn't think he'd become an agnostic
(b) That the peasants would be declared free and that feudalism was abolished
(c) He didn't think that Katherine would ever fall in love with him
(d) He didn't think the Pessonners would ever let him inside with Katherine
14. What controversial statement does John Wyclef make about the sacredness of Mass?
(a) That it should not be held on Sundays, but on Wednesdays
(b) That the wine and the wafer should be replaced by brandy and cake
(c) The wine and the wafer are mere symbols, not the actual body and blood of Christ
(d) That the wine and the wafer are really the body and blood of the Virgin Mary
15. Katherine has great reservations about marrying Robert Sutton, now one of Lincoln's "foremost citizens". Why?
(a) He's never at home and hates bringing her on his travels
(b) He's possessive, and he doesn't seem to like children
(c) He's too unattentive, and she needs someone to fawn over her constantly
(d) She worries he'll love her children more than he says he loves her
Short Answer Questions
1. At Our Lady of Walsingham's shrine, what miracle does Katherine pray for?
2. Katherine and John visit Hugh's tomb. After which, what happens?
3. Katherine visits her beloved Blanche's tomb. In the tomb, she hears Blanche's voice and decides:
4. How old is Richard of Bordeaux when he's coronated?
5. What does John realize is causing his insanity?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)