|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Richard has no heir, which raises his suspicions toward Katherine. Why?
(a) He wonders if her sons covet his throne
(b) He wonders if she will try witchcraft on him
(c) He thinks she'll knock him off and replace him with John
(d) He prefers sons over daughters
2. What does the duke do with his children on Maundy Thursday?
(a) Wash the clothing of the poor, give them bread and cheese
(b) Wash the hands of the poor, give them gloves and chocolate
(c) Wash the feet of the poor, feed them, and give them silver
(d) Wait for the poor to enter church, shut the doors and lock them up
3. What does Brother William say John Ball is now preaching to the serfs?
(a) They want equal status and freedom with all men
(b) They should move to foreign countries and experience other cultures
(c) They should convert to Catholicism
(d) They should join him in his chase after the duke in Scotland
4. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
(a) Takes some of his jewelry and flees
(b) Goes insane and locks herself up in a tower
(c) Makes a pass at his brother
(d) Poisons herself and climbs into his tomb
5. Guy Pessoner visits Katherine and tells her that the king, Princess Joan, the archbishop, the treasurer, and a few other lords have hidden themselves in the tower because:
(a) The king feels he's neglected the tower and wants to revisit it
(b) The king and his coterie enjoy literally looking down on the peasants
(c) The king needs help getting over his fear of heights
(d) The mobs of peasants, angry over the tax poll and feudalism, are after them
6. Right before Brother William dies, what does he tell Katherine about Hugh's death?
(a) He believes Geoffrey Chaucer poisoned Hugh's medicine
(b) He wishes it had happened sooner
(c) He believes she and the duke orchestrated it
(d) He believes John's sister Isabel was behind it
7. What is the reaction of the servants to Katherine's return to Kettlethorpe?
(a) They don't react much, because Robert Sutton is the real boss
(b) Disappointed because she reminds them of the ugly past
(c) Skeptical because they're all new and have no idea what to expect of her
(d) They are happy and hopeful for the future
8. Where does Katherine feel she should now return?
(b) Swynford, her husband's home
(c) Savoy, to rebuild it
(d) Sheppey, the convent
9. Who tries to help Katherine and Blanchette escape from the angry mobs?
(a) Princess Joan
(b) The Earl of March
(c) The Duke of Lancaster
(d) Brother William
10. In a quiet, blissful moment, John and Katherine hear a shrill trumpet followed by the sight of a king's herald galloping toward the castle. John's tone changes into a "down-dragging voice". Why?
(a) He wants to stay in the garden with Katherine
(b) He has a foreboding of danger
(c) He thinks his Castilian daughter has sent a mean message
(d) He thinks the king is calling him to another dinner he doesn't want to attend
11. Katherine stays in a pilgrim hotel in Waltham. She hears the king will be arriving and hopes:
(a) That the Duke of Lancaster will be with him
(b) That he will bring her back into the royal fold
(c) That he has seen Blanchette
(d) That he doesn't recognize her
12. What shocking news does Katherine learn about the king's plans?
(a) He will soon strip all royalty and landed gentry of their titles
(b) He will suggest that all of Europe merge into one, creating a union
(c) He lied to the serfs to stop the riots but has no intention of setting them free permanently
(d) He lured the duke back to England to execute him
13. What happens when Richard asks Thomas Swynford to try on the heavy crown?
(a) Thomas puts it on and falls to the ground
(b) Thomas suddenly becomes invisible
(c) The Earl of March violently intervenes
(d) The Duke of Lancaster violently intervenes
14. While staying at the Pessoners' home for her safety, Katherine discovers that Hawise's husband is gathering arms to do what?
(a) Use against the duke
(b) To give to the French
(c) Practice shooting
(d) To give to the Cantons
15. Who does Philippa call an "ill-tempered virgin"?
(c) Eleanor de Bohun
(d) Princess Joan
Short Answer Questions
1. When Blanchette, who loves Robin, refuses to marry Ralph of Hastings, what does she say to Katherine?
2. As Katherine approaches Walsingham, she thinks of one word to describe her life since leaving the convent. What is that word?
3. What illness does Philippa have?
4. Lady Julian helps Katherine realize and feel the real love of God. Katherine then surprises herself by returning to:
5. King Richard and his queen are about to travel through England on a goodwill tour to boost his popularity. Their visit to Lincoln will be their first in how many years?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)