|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Katherine buried?
(a) In a small Swynford family plot
(b) Lincoln Cathedral
(c) St. Paul's Cathedral
(d) The National Cathedral
2. Robin, playing the Lord of Misrule, shouts "Now shall each man kiss the lady of his heart!" He then kisses:
(c) Princess Joan
3. King Richard and his queen are about to travel through England on a goodwill tour to boost his popularity. Their visit to Lincoln will be their first in how many years?
4. Katherine stays in a pilgrim hotel in Waltham. She hears the king will be arriving and hopes:
(a) That he has seen Blanchette
(b) That the Duke of Lancaster will be with him
(c) That he will bring her back into the royal fold
(d) That he doesn't recognize her
5. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine, he brings with him a letter from his father. On it is a seal which indicates:
(a) John is indeed the son of a Flemish man
(b) John is no longer the King of Castile
(c) John has redesigned his coat of arms to indicate his greater wealth
(d) John is now King of Italy
6. As the Savoy explodes and peasants pillage its wine cellars, Cob stares at Katherine lying unconscious on the ground. He considers stealing her purse but stops. Why?
(a) He sees the Swynford coat of arms which remind him of home and his long family history of loyalty to the Swynfords
(b) He knows that without her purse, Katherine stands less of a chance at survival than him
(c) The purse reminds him of his long family history of stealing and he wants to break the cycle
(d) He would become a target of other peasants if the purse is found on him
7. Right before Brother William dies, what does he tell Katherine about Hugh's death?
(a) He wishes it had happened sooner
(b) He believes Geoffrey Chaucer poisoned Hugh's medicine
(c) He believes she and the duke orchestrated it
(d) He believes John's sister Isabel was behind it
8. Katherine visits her beloved Blanche's tomb. In the tomb, she hears Blanche's voice and decides:
(a) To go to Scotland and talk to the duke
(b) To make a pilgrimmage to Our Lady Walsingham
(c) To make a pilgrimmage to Canterbury
(d) To leave everything and everyone and disappear without a trace
9. How have John's concerns about his heritage affected him?
(a) He feels the matter is resolved and doesn't understand why others are still questioning whether he's the king's son
(b) He's too busy to think about those problems
(c) Hardly, he's as cool as ever
(d) He's obsessed, on the verge of madness
10. Katherine manages to stop the duke on his rampage by telling him she no longer wears his ring because:
(a) It has lost its meaning
(b) It's too small
(c) It's too large
(d) She discovered he gave the same one to Costanza
11. Two nuns arrive at the castle to see Katherine. One is name Ursula, who in fact turns out to be the long-lost Blanchette. Blanchette says she has returned because:
(a) She has no money or home and nowhere else to go
(b) She could no longer live with her hatred for Katherine
(c) She has been ordered by the church to take Katherine to the convent
(d) She has been given unprecedented power to absolve Katherine of her sins
12. In a conversation with Brother William, what does Katherine discover about the preacher John Ball?
(a) He has escaped the salt mines in Russia and is on his way to Scotland
(b) He has been released from prison and is starting riots in Kent
(c) He was released from prison for good behavior and is running for a seat in the House of Commons
(d) He has given up inciting riots and is just planning to assassinate the duke in Scotland
13. Because Katherine doesn't deny that she had hoped for Hugh's death, what does Blanchette now believe?
(a) Brother William could have saved her father's life but didn't try
(b) Her mother murdered her father
(c) There must have been a good, solid reason for Katherine's actions
(d) Life is short and one must savor every moment
14. What does Richard do after the Duke of Lancaster's death?
(a) He goes into seclusion in the tower and mourns his death for six months
(b) He confiscates all of the Lancastrian estates
(c) He kicks Katherine and her children out of Windsor
(d) He executes every last member of the Lancaster clan
15. What does Katherine find at the duke's gatehouse that brands him a traitor?
(a) The Duke's shield, painted in red
(b) A ten-foot high cross, painted in black
(c) A four-foot high cross, painted red
(d) The duke's shield, turned upside down
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main message or theme of this chapter?
2. At one point, Cob whispers to himself: "I didn't rightly believe 'twould ever happen." What did he not believe would happen?
3. What does the duke do with his children on Maundy Thursday?
4. Right before John leaves for Scotland, Katherine has a fit and says:
5. How old is Katherine now?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)