|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Katherine manages to stop the duke on his rampage by telling him she no longer wears his ring because:
(a) She discovered he gave the same one to Costanza
(b) It has lost its meaning
(c) It's too small
(d) It's too large
2. What illness does Philippa have?
(a) Breast cancer
(b) Old age
(c) Pancreatic cancer
(d) Thyroid disease
3. Who does Philippa call an "ill-tempered virgin"?
(c) Princess Joan
(d) Eleanor de Bohun
4. What happens when Richard asks Thomas Swynford to try on the heavy crown?
(a) Thomas suddenly becomes invisible
(b) The Duke of Lancaster violently intervenes
(c) Thomas puts it on and falls to the ground
(d) The Earl of March violently intervenes
5. As the Savoy explodes and peasants pillage its wine cellars, Cob stares at Katherine lying unconscious on the ground. He considers stealing her purse but stops. Why?
(a) He sees the Swynford coat of arms which remind him of home and his long family history of loyalty to the Swynfords
(b) The purse reminds him of his long family history of stealing and he wants to break the cycle
(c) He knows that without her purse, Katherine stands less of a chance at survival than him
(d) He would become a target of other peasants if the purse is found on him
6. What does John realize is causing his insanity?
(a) His lack of war victories
(b) The women in his life
(c) Deep grief from childhood. Isolda promised him she wouldn't leave him then died
(d) He still has no idea. He thinks he's fine and that everyone around him has some silly idea he's crazy
7. According to the Baron de la Pole, what two things did the duke do for Katherine to express his everlasting love and respect for her?
(a) He cut off the finger on which he wore her ring and never kissed another woman
(b) He became celibate and stopped drinking
(c) He built the Chapel to Saint Catherine and he never publicly renounced her as was rumored
(d) He built the women's college of Saint Catherine and established a convent in her name
8. Who does Katherine meet who helps her change her life around?
(a) The King's squire
(b) Father Clement
(c) Lady Julian
(d) Cob o'Fenton
9. Suddenly, Blanchette becomes ill for a month. Who looks after her during her illness?
(a) Ralph of Hastings and his mother
(b) Katherine and Costanza
(c) Katherine and Brother William
(d) Henry of Bolingbroke and his new bride
10. The king reads the message from John and decides:
(a) Percy of Northumberland's actions had no royal sanction, so he welcomes John back to England
(b) Percy of Northumberland did the right thing and will be rewarded
(c) John will stay in Scotland and Percy will be welcomed to England
(d) He cannot decipher John's strange message so nothing happens
11. How does Cob manage to gain entry for himself and Katherine into the Pessoners' home?
(a) He gives them a barrel of fine wine he took from the castle
(b) He bangs the door down
(c) He sneaks in the through the back, which is unlocked
(d) He offers Katherine's purse with the jewels inside
12. Who tries to help Katherine and Blanchette escape from the angry mobs?
(a) Brother William
(b) The Earl of March
(c) Princess Joan
(d) The Duke of Lancaster
13. King Richard rides right up the front line of rebels and tells them that he is now their leader as they wished him to be. How do the rebels react?
(a) They are quiet because they remain suspicious
(b) They cheer, because he has fulfilled their wishes
(c) They remain quiet, and one of them says they need to consider his statement
(d) They attack him
14. Although Richard has remarried to an eight year old, he occasionally thinks of his dead wife Anne. What are his thoughts regarding her?
(a) He has suspicions that she was murdered
(b) He should have married someone else
(c) He wishes she were alive and that his current wife could be his mistress
(d) He misses her laughter
15. Because Katherine doesn't deny that she had hoped for Hugh's death, what does Blanchette now believe?
(a) Brother William could have saved her father's life but didn't try
(b) There must have been a good, solid reason for Katherine's actions
(c) Her mother murdered her father
(d) Life is short and one must savor every moment
Short Answer Questions
1. Right before John leaves for Scotland, Katherine has a fit and says:
2. Who is now the master at Kettlethorpe?
3. While staying at the Pessoners' home for her safety, Katherine discovers that Hawise's husband is gathering arms to do what?
4. Janet, Katherine's daughter-in-law, has a theory about why Katherine doesn't see her son Thomas much. What is Janet's theory?
5. After signing truce agreements with Scotland, the duke suddenly learns he cannot:
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)