|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Pessoners, Geoffrey calls the hatred of the duke senseless and unjust. What does Katherine say about that?
(a) She completely agrees and wants to find a way to change people's minds.
(b) Katherine disagrees with Geoffrey because she too, now hates the duke
(c) Katherine feels Geoffrey is being disloyal and unfair
(d) She now believes it was God's punishment for her affair with John
2. Katherine manages to stop the duke on his rampage by telling him she no longer wears his ring because:
(a) It has lost its meaning
(b) It's too small
(c) She discovered he gave the same one to Costanza
(d) It's too large
3. What illness does Philippa have?
(a) Thyroid disease
(b) Breast cancer
(c) Old age
(d) Pancreatic cancer
4. Why does John turn down the idea that he should stay in Scotland because the people here love him and will likely give him an army?
(a) John confesses he can't communicate with the Scots because of their accent
(b) John says he's not a traitor and stands by his king
(c) John confesses he doesn't like the Scots
(d) He cannot be without Katherine
5. When Blanchette, who loves Robin, refuses to marry Ralph of Hastings, what does she say to Katherine?
(a) She calls Katherine the duke's creature who gives birth to his bastards
(b) She tells Katherine she's wonderful and glad to have half-siblings
(c) She calls Katherine a lovely creature
(d) She says nothing, thinking the silent treatment is the best response
6. King Richard rides right up the front line of rebels and tells them that he is now their leader as they wished him to be. How do the rebels react?
(a) They remain quiet, and one of them says they need to consider his statement
(b) They cheer, because he has fulfilled their wishes
(c) They are quiet because they remain suspicious
(d) They attack him
7. What does the duke do with his children on Maundy Thursday?
(a) Wash the clothing of the poor, give them bread and cheese
(b) Wait for the poor to enter church, shut the doors and lock them up
(c) Wash the hands of the poor, give them gloves and chocolate
(d) Wash the feet of the poor, feed them, and give them silver
8. Janet, Katherine's daughter-in-law, has a theory about why Katherine doesn't see her son Thomas much. What is Janet's theory?
(a) Katherine doesn't like Janet
(b) Katherine thinks Thomas is unpleasant like his late father
(c) Katherine is removing herself from society
(d) Katherine prefers her illegitimate children with thedDuke to her natural children with Hugh
9. What does Father Oswald suggest for Katherine?
(a) To cover herself in a black robe so no one will see her
(b) He thinks there's a slight chance she could change, so he offers her a job at this church
(c) Since there's no hope for her, she should continue living this way
(d) True contrition: give up her '
10. What announcement does Katherine make to John in the spring?
(a) She's giving him up and becoming a nun
(b) She's pregnant
(c) She's no longer in love with him
(d) She's ill and dying
11. What does Katherine find at the duke's gatehouse that brands him a traitor?
(a) The duke's shield, turned upside down
(b) A four-foot high cross, painted red
(c) A ten-foot high cross, painted in black
(d) The Duke's shield, painted in red
12. What shocking news does Katherine learn about the king's plans?
(a) He will suggest that all of Europe merge into one, creating a union
(b) He will soon strip all royalty and landed gentry of their titles
(c) He lured the duke back to England to execute him
(d) He lied to the serfs to stop the riots but has no intention of setting them free permanently
13. Katherine initially decides against seeing John again. But Harry convinces her to be a part of the reunion because:
(a) Leaving might prejudice the children against him
(b) He has hired a portrait artist to paint all of them together
(c) He is afraid of being alone with John
(d) He hasn't had time to arrange an escort for her to go elsewhere
14. Henry returns to England and Richard is forced to:
(a) Abdicate the throne in favor of Henry
(b) Share the throne with Henry
(c) Publicly apologize for lying to peasants
(d) Divorce his eight-year-old wife
15. In a conversation with Brother William, what does Katherine discover about the preacher John Ball?
(a) He has been released from prison and is starting riots in Kent
(b) He has given up inciting riots and is just planning to assassinate the duke in Scotland
(c) He was released from prison for good behavior and is running for a seat in the House of Commons
(d) He has escaped the salt mines in Russia and is on his way to Scotland
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Wat the tiler dresses up for his meeting with the king and tries to befriend the king, the king's squire calls Wat, "the greatest knave and robber in all Kent" because he shows no respect for the king. What happens to Wat after the squire's statement?
2. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine, he brings with him a letter from his father. On it is a seal which indicates:
3. What does Father Oswald refuse to grant Katherine after she confesses?
4. Where is Katherine buried?
5. Thomas Swynford is now nineteen and a knight. Who does he serve?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)