|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the trial of John Wyclef held, and why there?
(a) Wembley Stadium, since it's large enough to hold the massive crowds
(b) Windsor Castle, since it's large enough for the throngs attending
(c) St. Paul's Cathedral, as huge crowds are attending
(d) Savoy Castle, as John insisted on having it on his territory
2. In 1397, who did Richard have killed to save his throne?
(a) Guy le Pessoner, fishmonger
(b) His uncle Thomas, Duke of Gloucester
(c) Little Hotspur, Percy's son
(d) His uncle John, Duke of Lancaster
3. As Katherine regains her memory of the moments before Brother Williams' death, she tells Dame Emma that it wasn't the friar's blood that drove Blanchette away, but probably:
(a) The revelation that he believed Katherine had murdered Hugh
(b) That he believes Katherine is a witch
(c) Madness, for she had been showing signs of it beforehand
(d) The size of the mob approaching them
4. At the Pessoners, Geoffrey calls the hatred of the duke senseless and unjust. What does Katherine say about that?
(a) Katherine feels Geoffrey is being disloyal and unfair
(b) She now believes it was God's punishment for her affair with John
(c) Katherine disagrees with Geoffrey because she too, now hates the duke
(d) She completely agrees and wants to find a way to change people's minds.
5. What worries Katherine when she learns that both Trastamare and King Charles of France have died?
(a) She worries that John will move to France and love a French woman
(b) She worries that she'll have to study French
(c) With the opportunity for England to take Castile, Costanza may not tolerate having Katherine around
(d) She worries that Costanza will move to France and make John come there, too
6. The king reads the message from John and decides:
(a) Percy of Northumberland's actions had no royal sanction, so he welcomes John back to England
(b) John will stay in Scotland and Percy will be welcomed to England
(c) Percy of Northumberland did the right thing and will be rewarded
(d) He cannot decipher John's strange message so nothing happens
7. While staying at the Pessoners' home for her safety, Katherine discovers that Hawise's husband is gathering arms to do what?
(a) To give to the French
(b) Use against the duke
(c) Practice shooting
(d) To give to the Cantons
8. What confession does Pieter make when surrounded by Appleton and others?
(a) That Alice Perrers is John's real mother
(b) That Bishop Courtenay is in fact John's father
(c) That Katherine and John are actually siblings
(d) He says that the Bishop Courtenay paid him to make placards about the falseness of John's heritage
9. Who is now the master at Kettlethorpe?
(a) John Ball
(b) Cob o'Fenton
(c) Hawise's husband Jack
(d) Robert Sutton
10. Katherine's daughter Joan says her brother Thomas hates the king, saying he describes the king as:
(a) Womanish, soft-bellied and two-tongued
(b) Uglier than the Hunchback of Notre Dame
(c) So sickly he could knock him down by just touching him
(d) Scarier than the devil
11. Janet, Katherine's daughter-in-law, has a theory about why Katherine doesn't see her son Thomas much. What is Janet's theory?
(a) Katherine thinks Thomas is unpleasant like his late father
(b) Katherine is removing herself from society
(c) Katherine prefers her illegitimate children with thedDuke to her natural children with Hugh
(d) Katherine doesn't like Janet
12. On what day of what year does Henry of Bolingbroke get married?
(a) July 15, 1380
(b) New Year's Day, 1380
(c) Christmas Day, 1380
(d) March 15, 1380
13. Although Wat the tiler dresses up for his meeting with the king and tries to befriend the king, the king's squire calls Wat, "the greatest knave and robber in all Kent" because he shows no respect for the king. What happens to Wat after the squire's statement?
(a) Nothing. Everyone, including the king, ignores the squire
(b) He gets killed by the king's men
(c) The king tells his squire he is greatly mistaken, then fires his squire
(d) The king slaps Wat and tells him to kneel on the ground before him
14. Katherine visits her beloved Blanche's tomb. In the tomb, she hears Blanche's voice and decides:
(a) To make a pilgrimmage to Canterbury
(b) To make a pilgrimmage to Our Lady Walsingham
(c) To go to Scotland and talk to the duke
(d) To leave everything and everyone and disappear without a trace
15. What does Father Oswald suggest for Katherine?
(a) Since there's no hope for her, she should continue living this way
(b) True contrition: give up her '
(c) To cover herself in a black robe so no one will see her
(d) He thinks there's a slight chance she could change, so he offers her a job at this church
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Katherine meet who helps her change her life around?
2. Who is making bloody threats against the king?
3. King Richard and his queen are about to travel through England on a goodwill tour to boost his popularity. Their visit to Lincoln will be their first in how many years?
4. Who does the king's squire, Robin, think is a challenge for the duke?
5. How have John's concerns about his heritage affected him?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)