|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Richard die?
(a) In France
(b) In a remote castle where he starves to death under the constable, Thomas Swynford
(c) In Waltham Abbey
(d) In Windsor Castle
2. Who orders Katherine to Kennington?
(a) The King
(c) Princess Joan, John's sister and mother of Prince Richard
(d) The Duke
3. John has one request in his letter to Katherine:
(a) To not be at Kettlethorpe but at a nearby location during his visit
(b) To stay and see him with the children
(c) To switch places with him
(d) To not be present when he visits
4. Katherine has great reservations about marrying Robert Sutton, now one of Lincoln's "foremost citizens". Why?
(a) She worries he'll love her children more than he says he loves her
(b) He's too unattentive, and she needs someone to fawn over her constantly
(c) He's possessive, and he doesn't seem to like children
(d) He's never at home and hates bringing her on his travels
5. Where does Katherine feel she should now return?
(a) Savoy, to rebuild it
(c) Swynford, her husband's home
(d) Sheppey, the convent
6. Two nuns arrive at the castle to see Katherine. One is name Ursula, who in fact turns out to be the long-lost Blanchette. Blanchette says she has returned because:
(a) She has no money or home and nowhere else to go
(b) She has been given unprecedented power to absolve Katherine of her sins
(c) She could no longer live with her hatred for Katherine
(d) She has been ordered by the church to take Katherine to the convent
7. At the Pessoners, Geoffrey calls the hatred of the duke senseless and unjust. What does Katherine say about that?
(a) She now believes it was God's punishment for her affair with John
(b) She completely agrees and wants to find a way to change people's minds.
(c) Katherine disagrees with Geoffrey because she too, now hates the duke
(d) Katherine feels Geoffrey is being disloyal and unfair
8. What does Richard do after the Duke of Lancaster's death?
(a) He executes every last member of the Lancaster clan
(b) He goes into seclusion in the tower and mourns his death for six months
(c) He kicks Katherine and her children out of Windsor
(d) He confiscates all of the Lancastrian estates
9. Now legitimately married to John, and their children legitimized as well, Katherine is back at Windsor Castle. But are the ladies in court happy to have her back?
(a) They don't have time to think about Katherine
(b) Not at first, but they warm up to her and become intimate friends
(c) No, they are not tolerant
(d) Yes, they sing and sew together
10. What does Father Oswald suggest for Katherine?
(a) He thinks there's a slight chance she could change, so he offers her a job at this church
(b) Since there's no hope for her, she should continue living this way
(c) True contrition: give up her '
(d) To cover herself in a black robe so no one will see her
11. Right before Brother William dies, what does he tell Katherine about Hugh's death?
(a) He wishes it had happened sooner
(b) He believes Geoffrey Chaucer poisoned Hugh's medicine
(c) He believes she and the duke orchestrated it
(d) He believes John's sister Isabel was behind it
12. Suddenly, Blanchette becomes ill for a month. Who looks after her during her illness?
(a) Ralph of Hastings and his mother
(b) Katherine and Brother William
(c) Katherine and Costanza
(d) Henry of Bolingbroke and his new bride
13. Who does the king's squire, Robin, think is a challenge for the duke?
(a) The peasants
(c) The wealthy bishops
(d) Katherine and Costanza
14. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine, he brings with him a letter from his father. On it is a seal which indicates:
(a) John is no longer the King of Castile
(b) John is indeed the son of a Flemish man
(c) John has redesigned his coat of arms to indicate his greater wealth
(d) John is now King of Italy
15. What does Alice Perrers do immediately after the king dies?
(a) Makes a pass at his brother
(b) Goes insane and locks herself up in a tower
(c) Poisons herself and climbs into his tomb
(d) Takes some of his jewelry and flees
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day of what year does Henry of Bolingbroke get married?
2. Katherine receives a letter from the duke in which he requests she bring his daughter Philippa to Savoy for what reason?
3. According to the Baron de la Pole, what two things did the duke do for Katherine to express his everlasting love and respect for her?
4. While staying at the Pessoners' home for her safety, Katherine discovers that Hawise's husband is gathering arms to do what?
5. Who is now the master at Kettlethorpe?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)