|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Richard has remarried to an eight year old, he occasionally thinks of his dead wife Anne. What are his thoughts regarding her?
(a) He misses her laughter
(b) He should have married someone else
(c) He has suspicions that she was murdered
(d) He wishes she were alive and that his current wife could be his mistress
2. According to the Baron de la Pole, what two things did the duke do for Katherine to express his everlasting love and respect for her?
(a) He cut off the finger on which he wore her ring and never kissed another woman
(b) He became celibate and stopped drinking
(c) He built the Chapel to Saint Catherine and he never publicly renounced her as was rumored
(d) He built the women's college of Saint Catherine and established a convent in her name
3. Right before John leaves for Scotland, Katherine has a fit and says:
(a) She doesn't like Scotland, so they'll have to arrange meeting elsewhere
(b) She thinks their love is in danger
(c) She saw the Pooka Hound of Kettelthorpe
(d) She is expecting twins
4. As Katherine approaches Walsingham, she thinks of one word to describe her life since leaving the convent. What is that word?
5. Where does Richard die?
(a) In Waltham Abbey
(b) In France
(c) In Windsor Castle
(d) In a remote castle where he starves to death under the constable, Thomas Swynford
6. How does Cob manage to gain entry for himself and Katherine into the Pessoners' home?
(a) He bangs the door down
(b) He gives them a barrel of fine wine he took from the castle
(c) He sneaks in the through the back, which is unlocked
(d) He offers Katherine's purse with the jewels inside
7. How does Katherine feel about being back at Kettlethorpe?
(a) She now appreciates it
(b) She is punishing herself with memories of Hugh
(c) She sees it as a chance to decorate it her way
(d) It makes her sick but she has to push herself to endure being there
8. Katherine manages to stop the duke on his rampage by telling him she no longer wears his ring because:
(a) It has lost its meaning
(b) It's too large
(c) It's too small
(d) She discovered he gave the same one to Costanza
9. The Duke challenges Percy to mortal combat. Who shows up to fight him?
(a) A mob of angry peasants
(b) Percy's son, Little Hotspur
(c) Percy of Northumberland, as promised
(d) No one, John stands in a field waiting and waiting
10. Where is the trial of John Wyclef held, and why there?
(a) St. Paul's Cathedral, as huge crowds are attending
(b) Wembley Stadium, since it's large enough to hold the massive crowds
(c) Savoy Castle, as John insisted on having it on his territory
(d) Windsor Castle, since it's large enough for the throngs attending
11. How have John's concerns about his heritage affected him?
(a) Hardly, he's as cool as ever
(b) He's too busy to think about those problems
(c) He's obsessed, on the verge of madness
(d) He feels the matter is resolved and doesn't understand why others are still questioning whether he's the king's son
12. Whose life does Katherine save during the king's visit?
(a) Father Oswald
(c) Percy of Northumberland
(d) Cob o'Fenton, a loyal servant to the Swyndons
13. Where does Katherine take Geoffrey to tell him about the guilt she feels and everything she now believes has gone wrong in her life?
(a) To see Brother William's head
(b) To the ruins of Savoy
(c) The Pessoners' back yard
(d) To Blanche's tomb
14. How old is Katherine now?
(c) It's unclear. The narrator doesn't ever reveal Katherine's true age
15. What is the reaction of the servants to Katherine's return to Kettlethorpe?
(a) Disappointed because she reminds them of the ugly past
(b) Skeptical because they're all new and have no idea what to expect of her
(c) They are happy and hopeful for the future
(d) They don't react much, because Robert Sutton is the real boss
Short Answer Questions
1. Katherine visits her beloved Blanche's tomb. In the tomb, she hears Blanche's voice and decides:
2. Katherine's daughter Joan says her brother Thomas hates the king, saying he describes the king as:
3. What illness does Philippa have?
4. When John Beaufort comes to see Katherine, he brings with him a letter from his father. On it is a seal which indicates:
5. Two years later the Duke of Lancaster dies after only how many years of being legitimately married to Katherine?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)