|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The meeting of the House of Commons yields several major accusations. The King's chamberlain, Lord Latimer, is accused of:
(a) Trying to seize the throne
(b) Corruption and treason
(c) Impersonating the king
(d) Stealing from the poor and giving to the rich
2. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
(a) Dilapidated, abandoned, in need of repair
(b) A little shabby but nothing that can't be fixed in a week
(c) Burned to the ground, smoke rising from its ashes
(d) Beautifully manicured
3. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
(a) She's pregnant with his child
(b) She has changed her mind and wants to become a nun
(c) She feels she's still married to Hugh and cannot be unfaithful to his memory
(d) She fell in love with Nirac and they are eloping
4. Why can't Katherine go home?
(a) She is sick with a bad cold
(b) She doesn't have either enough money or an escort for the journey
(c) She isn't given her usual five escorts, just three
(d) Hugh has banned her from Kettlethorpe
5. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
(a) John is not the king's son but the son of a French tailor
(b) John is not the king's son but the son of a Flemish butcher
(c) John owes them money
(d) John is actually not English, but French
6. Katherine goes to mass and runs into John, disguised as a pilgrim. He tells her:
(a) He's thinking of changing the law so that he can have multiple wives
(b) He has become a cleric
(c) He loves her and cannot live without her
(d) He sees the ghost of his wife everywhere and is scared
7. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
(a) Richard, the Prince of Wales's son
(b) Brother William, friar
(c) The Earl of Sussex
(d) The Earl of March
8. Describe Katherine's reaction to the pyx when it passes the Chaucer home?
(a) She's ashamed because she can't remember what the pyx is
(b) She's ashamed of herself for wanting to escape marrying Hugh
(c) She's shocked the pyx is so ugly
(d) She's ashamed because she's suddenly in love with Geoffrecy
9. Why does Katherine find Philippa's letter so upsetting?
(a) Philippa preaches to her about childbearing
(b) Philippa assumes that Katherine is living in great comfort and luxury
(c) Philippa says Katherine is a bad person who deserves an equally bad husband
(d) Philippa refuses to visit her
10. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
(a) The Duke threatens him if he doesn't
(b) He thinks he's in love with Katherine
(c) He has nothing else to do
(d) He thinks Katherine and the duke are in a serious romantic relationship
11. Who, to Katherine's dismay, is in attendance at the ceremony commemorating the death of Blanche, the duke's first wife?
(a) Geoffrey Chaucer's father, who is very ill with the black plague
(b) Blanche's ghost, whom everyone can see
(c) Costanza, the duke's current wife
(d) Costanza's mother, a very bothersome woman
12. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
(c) Alice Perrers
(d) A nun from the convent
13. What is the name of the illness that the Prince of Wales has?
14. What happens when Katherine goes alone to the courtyard?
(a) Hugh tells her he must return her to the convent
(b) Hugh attacks her and tries to rape her
(c) Hugh stands next to her but never utters a word
(d) Hugh reads her a love poem and seduces her
15. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
(a) She learns that Blanche, the Duchess, is also pregnant and rides her horse all of the time
(b) She sees it as an opportunity to try to lose the baby
(c) The servants refuse to take her
(d) She thinks Doucette, her horse, needs exercise
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugh is initially suspicious as to why the duke has forgiven his debts. When Katherine reassures him that it must be the Duke's way of thanking her for taking care of the Duchess, how does Hugh react?
2. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
3. What does Geoffrey Chaucer feel about Katherine's relationship with John?
4. Why is Costanza eager to make a pilgrimage to Canterbury?
5. What assumption has Katherine made about her release from the convent?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)