|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
(a) He thanks Nirac for being a great loyal servant
(b) With deep sadness
(c) He snickers and says Hugh got what he deserved
(d) With joy
2. Who sets the playful tone by dancing a dog on the table at Blanche's funeral dinner hosted by the king?
(a) The Duke of Lancaster, who shows up unexpectedly
(b) Philippa and Geoffrey, who have no tact
(c) Katherine, who thinks Blanche would have preferred a jovial funeral dinner
(d) Alice Perrers, his mistress
3. What does Katherine try to prevent the servants from doing shortly before she gives birth?
(a) Building a new wing on the house for the new baby
(b) Participating in a pagan ritual that involves sacrificing animals and drinking heavily
(c) Attending a wine festival
(d) Cooking anything with lamb in it
4. When John returns to celebrate St. George's Day, what does Katherine find Hawise doing in her bedroom?
(a) Removing the bed so that John and Katherine cannot conceive
(b) Ironing the bed sheets so they're very crisp
(c) Taking a nap in the big bed
(d) Shaking a roawn branch over the bed and muttering a curse hoping that Katherine will no longer conceive
5. What announcement does the Duke of Lancaster make when he arrives?
(a) Henry Trastamare has usurped the throne of Castile
(b) Henry won't attend the festivities
(c) Henry Trastamare has sailed with Christopher Columbus to the New World
(d) Henry prefers to be known as Harry, Prince of Wales
6. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
7. Where does the duke take Katherine?
(c) Windsor Castle
(d) The Captal de Buch's chateau
8. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
(a) John is not the king's son but the son of a French tailor
(b) John is not the king's son but the son of a Flemish butcher
(c) John owes them money
(d) John is actually not English, but French
9. Who prevents Nichola from drowning the newborn baby?
(c) The Duke of Lancaster
10. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
(a) She has changed her mind and wants to become a nun
(b) She fell in love with Nirac and they are eloping
(c) She feels she's still married to Hugh and cannot be unfaithful to his memory
(d) She's pregnant with his child
11. What does the local bishop call Katherine after meeting her?
(a) Princess Katherine
(b) A barmaid
(c) A goddess
(d) A charity wench
12. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
(a) Water-elf sickness
(d) A bad heart
13. What does Katherine realize about herself after hearing Geoffrey read the love poem?
(a) She liked his comic poetry more than his romantic verse
(b) He's not a very talented writer
(c) She has never, and may never, experience true love
(d) She makes all men who meet her fall in love with her
14. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
(a) The Earl of Sussex
(b) Richard, the Prince of Wales's son
(c) Brother William, friar
(d) The Earl of March
15. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He vows to give England to Castile
(b) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
(c) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
(d) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Isolda?
2. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
3. Initially, John tells Katherine he has called for her because:
4. Do Katherine and Blanche get along?
5. What assumption has Katherine made about her release from the convent?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)