|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose husband leads the angry mob?
(a) Costanza's husband, the duke
(b) Philippa's husband, Geoffrey
(c) Emma's husband, Guy le Pessoner
(d) Jack, Hawise's husband
2. Who does Katherine encounter on the ship to Bordeaux?
(a) Isabel, John's sister
(b) A woman named Blanche with an uncanny resemblance to Katherine
(c) Gueneviere, John's sister
(d) Isolda, John's mother
3. What keeps Katherine from going to Bolingbroke sooner?
(a) Violent rainstorms ruin the road to Bolingbroke
(b) A robber stole her horse and Hugh won't give her another one
(c) She can't make up her mind if she really likes Blanche
(d) She has to wait until she can wean Thomas off her
4. To whom is Hugh indebted?
(a) Alice Perrers
(b) Geoffrey Chaucer
(c) The King
(d) John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster
5. Who sets the playful tone by dancing a dog on the table at Blanche's funeral dinner hosted by the king?
(a) Philippa and Geoffrey, who have no tact
(b) Alice Perrers, his mistress
(c) Katherine, who thinks Blanche would have preferred a jovial funeral dinner
(d) The Duke of Lancaster, who shows up unexpectedly
6. Katherine goes to the Chapel to visit Blanches' body and finds the duke there. What does he tell her?
(a) He's giving Bolingbroke to the convent
(b) He wishes he had caught the Plague so he could be dead with Blanche
(c) To leave
(d) To stay until he feels better
7. Do Katherine and Blanche get along?
(a) They are civil to one another.
(b) Blanche is too busy to spend any time with Katherine, so it's hard to say
(c) Yes. They enjoy singing and sewing together
(d) Not at all. Blanche sees Katherine as another maid and treats her as such
8. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
(b) He vows to give England to Castile
(c) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
(d) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
9. The Duke manages to get Katherine to go to Aquitaine under what pretense?
(a) The army needs a seamstress to repair the country's war flags
(b) She needs to tend to Hugh who has been injured in battle
(c) She needs to join other wives who are serving as nurses
(d) Women are now being drafted and it's her time to go
10. What important event takes place in April 1369?
(a) The king gets the bishop to stop the rain from falling
(b) France surrenders to England
(c) Castile is declared the capital of continental Europe
(d) England declares war with France again
11. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
(a) She's pregnant with his child
(b) She fell in love with Nirac and they are eloping
(c) She feels she's still married to Hugh and cannot be unfaithful to his memory
(d) She has changed her mind and wants to become a nun
12. Katherine goes back to the Pessoners' and asks Hawise to:
(a) Attend mass with her
(b) Sew a really nice dress for her
(c) Serve as her personal chef
(d) Serve as her maid
13. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
(a) Dilapidated, abandoned, in need of repair
(b) Beautifully manicured
(c) Burned to the ground, smoke rising from its ashes
(d) A little shabby but nothing that can't be fixed in a week
14. In 1372, Costanza gives birth to a daughter named Catalina. What is that name's equivalent in English?
(b) It has no English equivalent
15. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
(b) A bad heart
(d) Water-elf sickness
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
2. Nirac overhears John's declaration to Katherine. He decides to take matters into his own hands by:
3. The Duke's pious daughter Philippa worries about her father's relationship with Katherine because:
4. What does Katherine tell Hugh before he leaves for war?
5. Hugh takes the drink from Katherine and soon thereafter dreams of the Kettlethorpe Pooka Hound with "fiery-red eyes." What does the Pooka Hound symbolize?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)