|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Earl of March envies John, but thinks he has one strength and advantage that John does not:
(a) He is a better swordsman
(b) He has fathered many bastard children
(c) The Earl is about to father a child who is closer to the throne than any of the Lancaster children
(d) He is expecting children with several royal women
2. All of the duke's men are happy except for Baron de la Pole. The Baron gets sent away for openly expressing his concerns to the duke. On his way to Havering, he meets Brother William Appleton who tells him something interesting about the duke. What does he tell Baron?
(a) He has seen genuine documents that confirm the duke is the son of a Flemish butcher
(b) He overheard two monks and a Flemish man had created the documents that question the duke's heritage
(c) He is in possession of documents that could ruin John forever
(d) That John will soon move to Castile and not return
3. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
(a) He snickers and says Hugh got what he deserved
(b) With joy
(c) He thanks Nirac for being a great loyal servant
(d) With deep sadness
4. Katherine goes to mass and runs into John, disguised as a pilgrim. He tells her:
(a) He sees the ghost of his wife everywhere and is scared
(b) He has become a cleric
(c) He's thinking of changing the law so that he can have multiple wives
(d) He loves her and cannot live without her
5. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
(a) Famine, War, Pestilence and Death
(b) There are really only two: Famine and War
(c) Famine, War, Sloth and Hanging
(d) Peace, Love, Understanding and Wisdom
6. After reversing the Parliament's measures, John still has two significant enemies:
(a) The King and the Prince of Wales
(b) The Earl of March and Bishop Courtenay of London
(c) Katherine and Costanza
(d) Isolda and Pieter
7. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
(a) It is newer but has no distinct characteristics
(b) It is beautiful, alive and welcoming
(c) There is almost no difference. The estates were built by the same architect
(d) Uglier and the property much smaller
8. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
(a) John owes them money
(b) John is actually not English, but French
(c) John is not the king's son but the son of a French tailor
(d) John is not the king's son but the son of a Flemish butcher
9. Also at the House of Commons, Alice Perrers is accused of:
(a) Spying for the Italians
(b) Spying for the Castilians
(c) Putting a spell on the Queen
(d) Bribery, fraud, theft, and holding the king with witchcraft
10. What announcement does the Duke of Lancaster make when he arrives?
(a) Henry Trastamare has usurped the throne of Castile
(b) Henry Trastamare has sailed with Christopher Columbus to the New World
(c) Henry prefers to be known as Harry, Prince of Wales
(d) Henry won't attend the festivities
11. The Duke goes into seclusion after Blanche's burial, permitting only this person to see him:
(a) Hugh Swynford
(b) Geoffrey Chaucer
(c) Raulin d'Ypres, his young Flemish body squire
(d) The king
12. What keeps Katherine from going to Bolingbroke sooner?
(a) She has to wait until she can wean Thomas off her
(b) A robber stole her horse and Hugh won't give her another one
(c) She can't make up her mind if she really likes Blanche
(d) Violent rainstorms ruin the road to Bolingbroke
13. Katherine visits the Pessoner home only to be suddenly called away by:
(a) The king, who no longer cares for Alice Perrers
(b) The Duke of Lancaster, who requires her presence immediately
(c) The Duke of Yorkshire, who wants to meet her
(d) Geoffrey Chaucer, who needs her help editing his latest work
14. In Parliament, the king seems to be interested only in:
(a) The way he is dressed
(b) Taking a nap after the session
(c) Having lunch with Alice Perrers
(d) Getting a measure passed for the hanging of Alice Perrers
15. To whom is Philippa engaged?
(a) Geoffrey Chaucer
(b) The King's Squire
(c) Roger DeCheyne
(d) The Duke of Lancaster
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katherine realize about herself after hearing Geoffrey read the love poem?
2. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
3. How did Katherine's mother die?
4. When Raulin and three men show up to escort Katherine and Hawise to Kettlethorpe, he mentions he has some letters from the duke to be delivered to people in Lincoln. Katherine is disappointed because the letters are not for her, but for:
5. After the queen finally meets Katherine, what does she order for the convent?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)