|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The meeting of the House of Commons yields several major accusations. The King's chamberlain, Lord Latimer, is accused of:
(a) Trying to seize the throne
(b) Corruption and treason
(c) Impersonating the king
(d) Stealing from the poor and giving to the rich
2. Once Katherine is resigned to marrying Hugh, what does she give him?
(a) A suit of armor
(b) A bible
(c) Nothing because he doesn't need any lucky tokens
(d) A piece of her sleeve to wear in the upcoming joust
3. Nirac's feelings toward Katherine go from loyalty to hatred. Resigned that he'll never be greatly admired by John, what does he do?
(a) Secretly tells Costanza what is really going on
(c) Takes some drug and tells the Friar about the duke and Katherine
(d) Resigns his commission and moves to the countryside to become a farmer
4. In 1372, Costanza gives birth to a daughter named Catalina. What is that name's equivalent in English?
(d) It has no English equivalent
5. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
(a) A magic potion that will heal him instantly
(b) Their children
(c) A new wine venture she has started that's sure to be successful
(d) The money they're making from their estates
6. John has a dream in which he "felt the touch of the sacred oil as the archbishop anointed him and he had felt, vivid as in waking, the holy pressure" of a certain country's crown. What country's crown?
7. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
(a) Uglier and the property much smaller
(b) There is almost no difference. The estates were built by the same architect
(c) It is newer but has no distinct characteristics
(d) It is beautiful, alive and welcoming
8. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
(a) They hid underground where they could not contract the disease
(b) They were on holiday in France where there is no Plague
(c) They are actually Gascons, who are born with Plague immunity
(d) They were safe in the North Tower throughout the scourge
9. What assumption has Katherine made about her release from the convent?
(a) That she's being transferred to another convent
(b) That her sister Philippa has sent for her
(c) That a husband has been chosen for her and she will soon be married
(d) That someone has hired her as a governess
10. Despite telling the Captal that he only loves Katherine, what must John do?
(a) Marry an eight-year-old princess from Italy
(b) Remain single and celibate
(c) Marry Alice Perrers to make her
(d) Marry Costanza, Queen of Castile
11. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
(a) John is not the king's son but the son of a Flemish butcher
(b) John owes them money
(c) John is not the king's son but the son of a French tailor
(d) John is actually not English, but French
12. What mode of transport does Katherine use when leaving the convent?
(b) Horse and buggy
(c) A pumpkin-shaped carriage
(d) None. She walks.
13. How does Katherine respond to John's amorous declaration?
(a) Hugh is a changed man and she thinks she's in love with him now
(b) She met someone else and is deeply in love with this new man
(c) She no longer feels the same way toward him
(d) She has made a vow to Saint Catherine and she intends to keep it
14. What is the name of the illness that the Prince of Wales has?
15. Why is Hugh confident he'll return by May?
(a) He went to a fortune teller who said that the Castilians won't last long
(b) He's certain that it won't take long to beat
(c) His contract prevents him from fighting any longer
(d) He's certain that the Castilians can't fight in warmer weather
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Hawise about the affair between John and Katherine?
2. Katherine goes to mass and runs into John, disguised as a pilgrim. He tells her:
3. To whom is Hugh indebted?
4. Also at the House of Commons, Alice Perrers is accused of:
5. Why do the servants resent the pregnant Katherine?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)