|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hugh returns to Kettlethorpe from war, we discover he suffers from?
(c) Low blood-sugar
2. How did Katherine's mother die?
(a) She was trampled by a horse
(b) From a mysterious disease
(c) In childbirth
(d) She took her own life
3. How does Nirac describe Costanza's appearance?
(a) Shabby, bony, flat-chested with a hair shirt to remind her of her father
(b) Plain and forgetful
(c) So repulsive that it would be best to look elsewhere in her presence
(d) Exquisite, voluptuous, dressed in the most beautiful dresses
4. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
(a) Brother William, friar
(b) The Earl of March
(c) Richard, the Prince of Wales's son
(d) The Earl of Sussex
5. Why does Geoffrey send Philippa to stay at Kettlethorpe?
(a) He doesn't give a reason
(b) So that she'll be away from the plague in London
(c) He needs to be alone in London so he can write
(d) He has no money left to support her for the time being
6. Whose husband leads the angry mob?
(a) Jack, Hawise's husband
(b) Emma's husband, Guy le Pessoner
(c) Costanza's husband, the duke
(d) Philippa's husband, Geoffrey
7. With whom does Katherine form a lifelong friendship when she is at the Pessoner home?
(a) Guy Le Pessonner's brother
(b) Hawise, the daughter
(c) One of the servants
(d) Guy Le Pessoner's wife
8. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He vows to give England to Castile
(b) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
(c) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
(d) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
9. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
(a) Dilapidated, abandoned, in need of repair
(b) Burned to the ground, smoke rising from its ashes
(c) Beautifully manicured
(d) A little shabby but nothing that can't be fixed in a week
10. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
(a) He thinks he's in love with Katherine
(b) He has nothing else to do
(c) He thinks Katherine and the duke are in a serious romantic relationship
(d) The Duke threatens him if he doesn't
11. The Earl of March envies John, but thinks he has one strength and advantage that John does not:
(a) He has fathered many bastard children
(b) He is a better swordsman
(c) He is expecting children with several royal women
(d) The Earl is about to father a child who is closer to the throne than any of the Lancaster children
12. What does Katherine try to prevent the servants from doing shortly before she gives birth?
(a) Participating in a pagan ritual that involves sacrificing animals and drinking heavily
(b) Attending a wine festival
(c) Building a new wing on the house for the new baby
(d) Cooking anything with lamb in it
13. What keeps Katherine from going to Bolingbroke sooner?
(a) Violent rainstorms ruin the road to Bolingbroke
(b) She has to wait until she can wean Thomas off her
(c) A robber stole her horse and Hugh won't give her another one
(d) She can't make up her mind if she really likes Blanche
14. Katherine goes to the Chapel to visit Blanches' body and finds the duke there. What does he tell her?
(a) To leave
(b) To stay until he feels better
(c) He wishes he had caught the Plague so he could be dead with Blanche
(d) He's giving Bolingbroke to the convent
15. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
(a) John is not the king's son but the son of a French tailor
(b) John is not the king's son but the son of a Flemish butcher
(c) John is actually not English, but French
(d) John owes them money
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the illness that the Prince of Wales has?
2. Nirac's feelings toward Katherine go from loyalty to hatred. Resigned that he'll never be greatly admired by John, what does he do?
3. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
4. Also at the House of Commons, Alice Perrers is accused of:
5. Why does the duke insist on seeing Katherine before remarrying?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)