|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
(a) He doesn't reveal any thoughts on Katherine
(b) He thinks highly of her and that she would be a better wife than Costanza
(c) He wishes Katherine were of a better rank
(d) Very low, he think she's a slut
2. With whom does Katherine form a lifelong friendship when she is at the Pessoner home?
(a) One of the servants
(b) Guy Le Pessoner's wife
(c) Guy Le Pessonner's brother
(d) Hawise, the daughter
3. What is the name of the illness that the Prince of Wales has?
4. What assumption has Katherine made about her release from the convent?
(a) That someone has hired her as a governess
(b) That her sister Philippa has sent for her
(c) That a husband has been chosen for her and she will soon be married
(d) That she's being transferred to another convent
5. When Raulin and three men show up to escort Katherine and Hawise to Kettlethorpe, he mentions he has some letters from the duke to be delivered to people in Lincoln. Katherine is disappointed because the letters are not for her, but for:
(d) Robert Sutton
6. In addition to dystentery, what else plagues Hugh?
(a) Strange nightmarish visions
(b) Strange shaking
(c) Migraine headaches
7. The Friar, Brother William, doesn't suspect Katherine of foul play in Hugh's death. Instead, he believes that:
(a) Hugh might have had a heart attack
(b) Hugh didn't want to live anymore
(c) Hugh died of internal bleeding
(d) Hugh's bowel burst
8. To whom is Hugh indebted?
(a) Alice Perrers
(b) John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer
(d) The King
9. Katherine goes to the Chapel to visit Blanches' body and finds the duke there. What does he tell her?
(a) To stay until he feels better
(b) To leave
(c) He's giving Bolingbroke to the convent
(d) He wishes he had caught the Plague so he could be dead with Blanche
10. Who prevents Nichola from drowning the newborn baby?
(c) The Duke of Lancaster
11. How does Katherine respond to John's amorous declaration?
(a) She met someone else and is deeply in love with this new man
(b) Hugh is a changed man and she thinks she's in love with him now
(c) She no longer feels the same way toward him
(d) She has made a vow to Saint Catherine and she intends to keep it
12. What does the local bishop call Katherine after meeting her?
(a) A barmaid
(b) A charity wench
(c) A goddess
(d) Princess Katherine
13. Who, to Katherine's dismay, is in attendance at the ceremony commemorating the death of Blanche, the duke's first wife?
(a) Geoffrey Chaucer's father, who is very ill with the black plague
(b) Costanza, the duke's current wife
(c) Blanche's ghost, whom everyone can see
(d) Costanza's mother, a very bothersome woman
14. Why does Hugh order Katherine to stay away from Nichola?
(a) He doesn't want his unborn child to catch his stepmother's illness
(b) Nichola will smother her with affection
(c) Nichola is clumsy and might trip and fall on her
(d) Nichola is, in truth, a sorceress
15. After reversing the Parliament's measures, John still has two significant enemies:
(a) Katherine and Costanza
(b) The Earl of March and Bishop Courtenay of London
(c) Isolda and Pieter
(d) The King and the Prince of Wales
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
2. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
3. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
4. Whose husband leads the angry mob?
5. Why does Katherine find Philippa's letter so upsetting?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)