|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
(a) The money they're making from their estates
(b) Their children
(c) A magic potion that will heal him instantly
(d) A new wine venture she has started that's sure to be successful
2. With whom does Katherine form a lifelong friendship when she is at the Pessoner home?
(a) Guy Le Pessoner's wife
(b) One of the servants
(c) Hawise, the daughter
(d) Guy Le Pessonner's brother
3. Despite telling the Captal that he only loves Katherine, what must John do?
(a) Remain single and celibate
(b) Marry an eight-year-old princess from Italy
(c) Marry Costanza, Queen of Castile
(d) Marry Alice Perrers to make her
4. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
5. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
(c) Alice Perrers
(d) A nun from the convent
6. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
(b) A bad heart
(d) Water-elf sickness
7. Why is Costanza eager to make a pilgrimage to Canterbury?
(a) She hopes St. Thomas will make Katherine magically disappear
(b) She hopes St. Thomas will make her beautiful, like Katherine
(c) She hopes St. Thomas will help her get more sleep
(d) She hopes St. Thomas will help her become more fertile
8. The Duke manages to get Katherine to go to Aquitaine under what pretense?
(a) The army needs a seamstress to repair the country's war flags
(b) She needs to join other wives who are serving as nurses
(c) She needs to tend to Hugh who has been injured in battle
(d) Women are now being drafted and it's her time to go
9. Who sets the playful tone by dancing a dog on the table at Blanche's funeral dinner hosted by the king?
(a) Katherine, who thinks Blanche would have preferred a jovial funeral dinner
(b) Philippa and Geoffrey, who have no tact
(c) The Duke of Lancaster, who shows up unexpectedly
(d) Alice Perrers, his mistress
10. The Earl of March envies John, but thinks he has one strength and advantage that John does not:
(a) The Earl is about to father a child who is closer to the throne than any of the Lancaster children
(b) He is a better swordsman
(c) He is expecting children with several royal women
(d) He has fathered many bastard children
11. In addition to dystentery, what else plagues Hugh?
(a) Strange shaking
(b) Strange nightmarish visions
(d) Migraine headaches
12. To whom is Philippa engaged?
(a) Geoffrey Chaucer
(b) Roger DeCheyne
(c) The Duke of Lancaster
(d) The King's Squire
13. After the queen finally meets Katherine, what does she order for the convent?
(b) Wine and a novice with no dowry
(c) Wine, money, and a novice with a dowry
(d) A declaration to close the convent
14. Who does Katherine encounter on the ship to Bordeaux?
(a) A woman named Blanche with an uncanny resemblance to Katherine
(b) Isolda, John's mother
(c) Gueneviere, John's sister
(d) Isabel, John's sister
15. Do Katherine and Blanche get along?
(a) Yes. They enjoy singing and sewing together
(b) Not at all. Blanche sees Katherine as another maid and treats her as such
(c) They are civil to one another.
(d) Blanche is too busy to spend any time with Katherine, so it's hard to say
Short Answer Questions
1. Katherine goes to mass and runs into John, disguised as a pilgrim. He tells her:
2. How did Katherine's mother die?
3. In Parliament, the king seems to be interested only in:
4. Whose husband leads the angry mob?
5. To whom is Hugh indebted?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)