|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Katherine encounter on the ship to Bordeaux?
(a) A woman named Blanche with an uncanny resemblance to Katherine
(b) Gueneviere, John's sister
(c) Isolda, John's mother
(d) Isabel, John's sister
2. How does Katherine know the plague has contaminated Bolingbroke when she arrives?
(a) She sees a 4-foot high red cross painted at the bottom of the drawbridge
(b) Hugh comes rushing after her and tells her the news
(c) She sees servants' heads on pikes, the universal plague warning
(d) She sees a 10-foot high black cross hanging from the entry
3. Despite telling the Captal that he only loves Katherine, what must John do?
(a) Remain single and celibate
(b) Marry Costanza, Queen of Castile
(c) Marry an eight-year-old princess from Italy
(d) Marry Alice Perrers to make her
4. Hugh takes the drink from Katherine and soon thereafter dreams of the Kettlethorpe Pooka Hound with "fiery-red eyes." What does the Pooka Hound symbolize?
(b) Long life and prosperity
(d) Nothing. He's just a crazy dog
5. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
(a) Famine, War, Sloth and Hanging
(b) Peace, Love, Understanding and Wisdom
(c) There are really only two: Famine and War
(d) Famine, War, Pestilence and Death
6. What important event takes place in April 1369?
(a) France surrenders to England
(b) Castile is declared the capital of continental Europe
(c) England declares war with France again
(d) The king gets the bishop to stop the rain from falling
7. Nirac overhears John's declaration to Katherine. He decides to take matters into his own hands by:
(a) Poisoning Costanza
(b) Poisoning Katherine
(c) Poisoning Hugh
(d) Putting Hugh on the front lines in battle
8. Describe Katherine's reaction to the pyx when it passes the Chaucer home?
(a) She's ashamed because she can't remember what the pyx is
(b) She's ashamed of herself for wanting to escape marrying Hugh
(c) She's ashamed because she's suddenly in love with Geoffrecy
(d) She's shocked the pyx is so ugly
9. What does Geoffrey Chaucer feel about Katherine's relationship with John?
(a) He could care less
(b) He approves
(c) That it's inappropriate
(d) He thinks it will be great source material for his next work
10. Who was Isolda?
(a) John of Gaunt's sister
(b) Alice Perrer's older sister
(c) A mysterious servant who charmed the royals
(d) John of Gaunt's mother
11. Why does Katherine find Philippa's letter so upsetting?
(a) Philippa preaches to her about childbearing
(b) Philippa assumes that Katherine is living in great comfort and luxury
(c) Philippa refuses to visit her
(d) Philippa says Katherine is a bad person who deserves an equally bad husband
12. The meeting of the House of Commons yields several major accusations. The King's chamberlain, Lord Latimer, is accused of:
(a) Impersonating the king
(b) Trying to seize the throne
(c) Corruption and treason
(d) Stealing from the poor and giving to the rich
13. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
(a) He has nothing else to do
(b) He thinks Katherine and the duke are in a serious romantic relationship
(c) The Duke threatens him if he doesn't
(d) He thinks he's in love with Katherine
14. Who prevents Nichola from drowning the newborn baby?
(a) The Duke of Lancaster
15. In addition to dystentery, what else plagues Hugh?
(a) Strange nightmarish visions
(b) Migraine headaches
(c) Strange shaking
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Hugh indebted?
2. Hugh is initially suspicious as to why the duke has forgiven his debts. When Katherine reassures him that it must be the Duke's way of thanking her for taking care of the Duchess, how does Hugh react?
3. What does the local bishop call Katherine after meeting her?
4. Why can't Katherine go home?
5. Do Katherine and Blanche get along?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)