|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
(a) She learns that Blanche, the Duchess, is also pregnant and rides her horse all of the time
(b) The servants refuse to take her
(c) She thinks Doucette, her horse, needs exercise
(d) She sees it as an opportunity to try to lose the baby
2. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
(a) John is not the king's son but the son of a French tailor
(b) John is actually not English, but French
(c) John is not the king's son but the son of a Flemish butcher
(d) John owes them money
3. The Friar, Brother William, doesn't suspect Katherine of foul play in Hugh's death. Instead, he believes that:
(a) Hugh died of internal bleeding
(b) Hugh's bowel burst
(c) Hugh didn't want to live anymore
(d) Hugh might have had a heart attack
4. What announcement does the Duke of Lancaster make when he arrives?
(a) Henry prefers to be known as Harry, Prince of Wales
(b) Henry Trastamare has sailed with Christopher Columbus to the New World
(c) Henry won't attend the festivities
(d) Henry Trastamare has usurped the throne of Castile
5. Hugh takes the drink from Katherine and soon thereafter dreams of the Kettlethorpe Pooka Hound with "fiery-red eyes." What does the Pooka Hound symbolize?
(b) Long life and prosperity
(c) Nothing. He's just a crazy dog
6. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
(a) Famine, War, Pestilence and Death
(b) Famine, War, Sloth and Hanging
(c) There are really only two: Famine and War
(d) Peace, Love, Understanding and Wisdom
7. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
(a) With joy
(b) He snickers and says Hugh got what he deserved
(c) He thanks Nirac for being a great loyal servant
(d) With deep sadness
8. In 1372, Costanza gives birth to a daughter named Catalina. What is that name's equivalent in English?
(a) It has no English equivalent
9. Who sets the playful tone by dancing a dog on the table at Blanche's funeral dinner hosted by the king?
(a) The Duke of Lancaster, who shows up unexpectedly
(b) Katherine, who thinks Blanche would have preferred a jovial funeral dinner
(c) Alice Perrers, his mistress
(d) Philippa and Geoffrey, who have no tact
10. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
(a) A new wine venture she has started that's sure to be successful
(b) A magic potion that will heal him instantly
(c) The money they're making from their estates
(d) Their children
11. The Earl of March envies John, but thinks he has one strength and advantage that John does not:
(a) He is expecting children with several royal women
(b) He has fathered many bastard children
(c) The Earl is about to father a child who is closer to the throne than any of the Lancaster children
(d) He is a better swordsman
12. What happens when Katherine goes alone to the courtyard?
(a) Hugh stands next to her but never utters a word
(b) Hugh attacks her and tries to rape her
(c) Hugh reads her a love poem and seduces her
(d) Hugh tells her he must return her to the convent
13. John has a dream in which he "felt the touch of the sacred oil as the archbishop anointed him and he had felt, vivid as in waking, the holy pressure" of a certain country's crown. What country's crown?
14. The Duke goes into seclusion after Blanche's burial, permitting only this person to see him:
(a) The king
(b) Hugh Swynford
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer
(d) Raulin d'Ypres, his young Flemish body squire
15. How does Katherine respond to John's amorous declaration?
(a) Hugh is a changed man and she thinks she's in love with him now
(b) She met someone else and is deeply in love with this new man
(c) She no longer feels the same way toward him
(d) She has made a vow to Saint Catherine and she intends to keep it
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
2. The Duke manages to get Katherine to go to Aquitaine under what pretense?
3. To whom is Hugh indebted?
4. Who was Isolda?
5. Why does Hugh order Katherine to stay away from Nichola?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)