|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the queen finally meets Katherine, what does she order for the convent?
(a) Wine, money, and a novice with a dowry
(b) Wine and a novice with no dowry
(d) A declaration to close the convent
2. Katherine soon discovers the real reason she has been called upon:
(a) The Duke wants to declare his love for her
(b) The Duke is making arrangements to send her back to the convent
(c) The Duke suspects her of killing Blanche
(d) The Duke wants to banish her from England
3. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
(a) The money they're making from their estates
(b) Their children
(c) A new wine venture she has started that's sure to be successful
(d) A magic potion that will heal him instantly
4. Why can't Katherine go home?
(a) She doesn't have either enough money or an escort for the journey
(b) Hugh has banned her from Kettlethorpe
(c) She isn't given her usual five escorts, just three
(d) She is sick with a bad cold
5. When Hugh returns to Kettlethorpe from war, we discover he suffers from?
(a) Low blood-sugar
6. The Duke goes into seclusion after Blanche's burial, permitting only this person to see him:
(a) Raulin d'Ypres, his young Flemish body squire
(b) The king
(c) Hugh Swynford
(d) Geoffrey Chaucer
7. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
(a) Katherine cries for Blanche morning and night
(b) Katherine complains that Philippa is too bossy
(c) The living conditions at Kettlethorpe are horrible.
(d) She finds Katherine to be bad company
8. What does Geoffrey Chaucer feel about Katherine's relationship with John?
(a) He approves
(b) He thinks it will be great source material for his next work
(c) That it's inappropriate
(d) He could care less
9. Initially, John tells Katherine he has called for her because:
(a) He wants to thank her for caring for Blanche at Bolingbroke
(b) He thinks Katherine took something valuable of Blanche's and wants it back
(c) He wants her to tell him what Blanche wore when she died
(d) He wants her to repeat word for word what the priest said when administering the last rites
10. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
(a) It is newer but has no distinct characteristics
(b) Uglier and the property much smaller
(c) It is beautiful, alive and welcoming
(d) There is almost no difference. The estates were built by the same architect
11. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
(a) She feels she's still married to Hugh and cannot be unfaithful to his memory
(b) She has changed her mind and wants to become a nun
(c) She's pregnant with his child
(d) She fell in love with Nirac and they are eloping
12. Why does Katherine find Philippa's letter so upsetting?
(a) Philippa refuses to visit her
(b) Philippa assumes that Katherine is living in great comfort and luxury
(c) Philippa preaches to her about childbearing
(d) Philippa says Katherine is a bad person who deserves an equally bad husband
13. To whom is Philippa engaged?
(a) Geoffrey Chaucer
(b) Roger DeCheyne
(c) The King's Squire
(d) The Duke of Lancaster
14. Hugh takes the drink from Katherine and soon thereafter dreams of the Kettlethorpe Pooka Hound with "fiery-red eyes." What does the Pooka Hound symbolize?
(b) Long life and prosperity
(c) Nothing. He's just a crazy dog
15. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
(a) A bad heart
(b) Water-elf sickness
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Hugh indebted?
2. Who was Isolda?
3. Why is Hugh confident he'll return by May?
4. What does Katherine try to prevent the servants from doing shortly before she gives birth?
5. When Raulin and three men show up to escort Katherine and Hawise to Kettlethorpe, he mentions he has some letters from the duke to be delivered to people in Lincoln. Katherine is disappointed because the letters are not for her, but for:
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)