|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Earl of March envies John, but thinks he has one strength and advantage that John does not:
(a) He is expecting children with several royal women
(b) He is a better swordsman
(c) He has fathered many bastard children
(d) The Earl is about to father a child who is closer to the throne than any of the Lancaster children
2. Why does Katherine find Philippa's letter so upsetting?
(a) Philippa assumes that Katherine is living in great comfort and luxury
(b) Philippa refuses to visit her
(c) Philippa preaches to her about childbearing
(d) Philippa says Katherine is a bad person who deserves an equally bad husband
3. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
(a) With joy
(b) With deep sadness
(c) He snickers and says Hugh got what he deserved
(d) He thanks Nirac for being a great loyal servant
4. Once Katherine is resigned to marrying Hugh, what does she give him?
(a) Nothing because he doesn't need any lucky tokens
(b) A suit of armor
(c) A piece of her sleeve to wear in the upcoming joust
(d) A bible
5. Despite telling the Captal that he only loves Katherine, what must John do?
(a) Marry Costanza, Queen of Castile
(b) Marry an eight-year-old princess from Italy
(c) Marry Alice Perrers to make her
(d) Remain single and celibate
6. Katherine goes to mass and runs into John, disguised as a pilgrim. He tells her:
(a) He sees the ghost of his wife everywhere and is scared
(b) He's thinking of changing the law so that he can have multiple wives
(c) He loves her and cannot live without her
(d) He has become a cleric
7. Who was Isolda?
(a) John of Gaunt's sister
(b) A mysterious servant who charmed the royals
(c) Alice Perrer's older sister
(d) John of Gaunt's mother
8. When Raulin and three men show up to escort Katherine and Hawise to Kettlethorpe, he mentions he has some letters from the duke to be delivered to people in Lincoln. Katherine is disappointed because the letters are not for her, but for:
(a) Robert Sutton
9. The Duke goes into seclusion after Blanche's burial, permitting only this person to see him:
(a) Hugh Swynford
(b) The king
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer
(d) Raulin d'Ypres, his young Flemish body squire
10. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
(a) The Earl of Sussex
(b) Brother William, friar
(c) The Earl of March
(d) Richard, the Prince of Wales's son
11. What assumption has Katherine made about her release from the convent?
(a) That she's being transferred to another convent
(b) That her sister Philippa has sent for her
(c) That someone has hired her as a governess
(d) That a husband has been chosen for her and she will soon be married
12. How does the sword fight between Hugh and Roger end?
(a) It's a draw
(b) Hugh wins
(c) Roger wins
(d) The Duke of Lancaster breaks it up
13. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
(a) They are actually Gascons, who are born with Plague immunity
(b) They were safe in the North Tower throughout the scourge
(c) They were on holiday in France where there is no Plague
(d) They hid underground where they could not contract the disease
14. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
(a) He thinks Katherine and the duke are in a serious romantic relationship
(b) The Duke threatens him if he doesn't
(c) He thinks he's in love with Katherine
(d) He has nothing else to do
15. Katherine reaches Blanche just in time to:
(a) Get a blessing to have an affair with the duke
(b) Hear Blanche tell her that the duke is not who she thinks he is
(c) Get a priest to administer last rites
(d) Get a judge to annul Blanche's marriage to the duke
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugh takes the drink from Katherine and soon thereafter dreams of the Kettlethorpe Pooka Hound with "fiery-red eyes." What does the Pooka Hound symbolize?
2. What does Katherine tell Hugh before he leaves for war?
3. Nirac's feelings toward Katherine go from loyalty to hatred. Resigned that he'll never be greatly admired by John, what does he do?
4. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
5. What important event takes place in April 1369?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)