|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hugh order Katherine to stay away from Nichola?
(a) Nichola is clumsy and might trip and fall on her
(b) Nichola is, in truth, a sorceress
(c) He doesn't want his unborn child to catch his stepmother's illness
(d) Nichola will smother her with affection
2. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
(a) A nun from the convent
(c) Alice Perrers
3. Why is Costanza eager to make a pilgrimage to Canterbury?
(a) She hopes St. Thomas will make Katherine magically disappear
(b) She hopes St. Thomas will make her beautiful, like Katherine
(c) She hopes St. Thomas will help her get more sleep
(d) She hopes St. Thomas will help her become more fertile
4. What does Katherine tell Hugh before he leaves for war?
(a) She's leaving him and not to look for her
(b) He must stop at the Lancaster estate for a blessing first
(c) That she's pregnant
(d) She has discovered that she cannot have children
5. Katherine goes to the Chapel to visit Blanches' body and finds the duke there. What does he tell her?
(a) He wishes he had caught the Plague so he could be dead with Blanche
(b) To leave
(c) To stay until he feels better
(d) He's giving Bolingbroke to the convent
6. In 1372, Costanza gives birth to a daughter named Catalina. What is that name's equivalent in English?
(b) It has no English equivalent
7. Why do the servants resent the pregnant Katherine?
(a) She looks so beautiful pregnant
(b) She is meaner than before
(c) She is overly demanding
(d) She's bringing the next of the Swynford generation
8. What happens when Hugh looks up at the black cross in Waltham Abbey?
(a) He faints
(b) He suddenly has a religious epiphany and decides to become a cleric
(c) The clasp on his necklace chain comes udone and his pendant falls to the ground
(d) The buckle holding his scabard comes lose and his sword falls to the ground
9. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
(a) They are actually Gascons, who are born with Plague immunity
(b) They hid underground where they could not contract the disease
(c) They were on holiday in France where there is no Plague
(d) They were safe in the North Tower throughout the scourge
10. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
(b) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
(c) He vows to give England to Castile
(d) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
11. After reversing the Parliament's measures, John still has two significant enemies:
(a) The Earl of March and Bishop Courtenay of London
(b) The King and the Prince of Wales
(c) Katherine and Costanza
(d) Isolda and Pieter
12. Once Katherine is resigned to marrying Hugh, what does she give him?
(a) A piece of her sleeve to wear in the upcoming joust
(b) A bible
(c) Nothing because he doesn't need any lucky tokens
(d) A suit of armor
13. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
14. What does Katherine realize about herself after hearing Geoffrey read the love poem?
(a) She makes all men who meet her fall in love with her
(b) He's not a very talented writer
(c) She liked his comic poetry more than his romantic verse
(d) She has never, and may never, experience true love
15. In addition to dystentery, what else plagues Hugh?
(b) Strange nightmarish visions
(c) Strange shaking
(d) Migraine headaches
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Philippa engaged?
2. When Hugh returns to Kettlethorpe from war, we discover he suffers from?
3. Who sets the playful tone by dancing a dog on the table at Blanche's funeral dinner hosted by the king?
4. What important event takes place in April 1369?
5. In Parliament, the king seems to be interested only in:
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)