|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nirac describe Costanza's appearance?
(a) Shabby, bony, flat-chested with a hair shirt to remind her of her father
(b) So repulsive that it would be best to look elsewhere in her presence
(c) Exquisite, voluptuous, dressed in the most beautiful dresses
(d) Plain and forgetful
2. The Duke manages to get Katherine to go to Aquitaine under what pretense?
(a) She needs to join other wives who are serving as nurses
(b) She needs to tend to Hugh who has been injured in battle
(c) Women are now being drafted and it's her time to go
(d) The army needs a seamstress to repair the country's war flags
3. Who prevents Nichola from drowning the newborn baby?
(d) The Duke of Lancaster
4. After reversing the Parliament's measures, John still has two significant enemies:
(a) Isolda and Pieter
(b) Katherine and Costanza
(c) The Earl of March and Bishop Courtenay of London
(d) The King and the Prince of Wales
5. Hugh is initially suspicious as to why the duke has forgiven his debts. When Katherine reassures him that it must be the Duke's way of thanking her for taking care of the Duchess, how does Hugh react?
(a) He kisses her hand lightly
(b) He slaps her across the face
(c) He kisses her left foot
(d) He kisses her passionately
6. John exits the obligatory mass for Blanche and encounters an angry mob who claim that:
(a) John is actually not English, but French
(b) John is not the king's son but the son of a Flemish butcher
(c) John is not the king's son but the son of a French tailor
(d) John owes them money
7. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
(a) It is newer but has no distinct characteristics
(b) Uglier and the property much smaller
(c) It is beautiful, alive and welcoming
(d) There is almost no difference. The estates were built by the same architect
8. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
(a) They hid underground where they could not contract the disease
(b) They are actually Gascons, who are born with Plague immunity
(c) They were on holiday in France where there is no Plague
(d) They were safe in the North Tower throughout the scourge
9. Describe Katherine's reaction to the pyx when it passes the Chaucer home?
(a) She's ashamed because she can't remember what the pyx is
(b) She's ashamed of herself for wanting to escape marrying Hugh
(c) She's ashamed because she's suddenly in love with Geoffrecy
(d) She's shocked the pyx is so ugly
10. All of the duke's men are happy except for Baron de la Pole. The Baron gets sent away for openly expressing his concerns to the duke. On his way to Havering, he meets Brother William Appleton who tells him something interesting about the duke. What does he tell Baron?
(a) He has seen genuine documents that confirm the duke is the son of a Flemish butcher
(b) That John will soon move to Castile and not return
(c) He overheard two monks and a Flemish man had created the documents that question the duke's heritage
(d) He is in possession of documents that could ruin John forever
11. Katherine reaches Blanche just in time to:
(a) Get a blessing to have an affair with the duke
(b) Get a priest to administer last rites
(c) Get a judge to annul Blanche's marriage to the duke
(d) Hear Blanche tell her that the duke is not who she thinks he is
12. Katherine goes back to the Pessoners' and asks Hawise to:
(a) Attend mass with her
(b) Serve as her maid
(c) Sew a really nice dress for her
(d) Serve as her personal chef
13. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
(a) She sees it as an opportunity to try to lose the baby
(b) She learns that Blanche, the Duchess, is also pregnant and rides her horse all of the time
(c) She thinks Doucette, her horse, needs exercise
(d) The servants refuse to take her
14. What assumption has Katherine made about her release from the convent?
(a) That someone has hired her as a governess
(b) That she's being transferred to another convent
(c) That her sister Philippa has sent for her
(d) That a husband has been chosen for her and she will soon be married
15. How does Katherine respond to John's amorous declaration?
(a) She no longer feels the same way toward him
(b) She met someone else and is deeply in love with this new man
(c) She has made a vow to Saint Catherine and she intends to keep it
(d) Hugh is a changed man and she thinks she's in love with him now
Short Answer Questions
1. What is disturbing John most at this point in his life?
2. The Earl of March envies John, but thinks he has one strength and advantage that John does not:
3. Why do the servants resent the pregnant Katherine?
4. Once Katherine is resigned to marrying Hugh, what does she give him?
5. John has a dream in which he "felt the touch of the sacred oil as the archbishop anointed him and he had felt, vivid as in waking, the holy pressure" of a certain country's crown. What country's crown?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)