|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Katherine goes back to the Pessoners' and asks Hawise to:
(a) Serve as her personal chef
(b) Serve as her maid
(c) Attend mass with her
(d) Sew a really nice dress for her
2. In Parliament, the king seems to be interested only in:
(a) Getting a measure passed for the hanging of Alice Perrers
(b) Taking a nap after the session
(c) The way he is dressed
(d) Having lunch with Alice Perrers
3. Hugh is initially suspicious as to why the duke has forgiven his debts. When Katherine reassures him that it must be the Duke's way of thanking her for taking care of the Duchess, how does Hugh react?
(a) He kisses her passionately
(b) He kisses her left foot
(c) He kisses her hand lightly
(d) He slaps her across the face
4. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
(a) Famine, War, Pestilence and Death
(b) There are really only two: Famine and War
(c) Famine, War, Sloth and Hanging
(d) Peace, Love, Understanding and Wisdom
5. Who does Katherine encounter on the ship to Bordeaux?
(a) Isolda, John's mother
(b) A woman named Blanche with an uncanny resemblance to Katherine
(c) Gueneviere, John's sister
(d) Isabel, John's sister
6. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
7. All of the duke's men are happy except for Baron de la Pole. The Baron gets sent away for openly expressing his concerns to the duke. On his way to Havering, he meets Brother William Appleton who tells him something interesting about the duke. What does he tell Baron?
(a) He has seen genuine documents that confirm the duke is the son of a Flemish butcher
(b) He overheard two monks and a Flemish man had created the documents that question the duke's heritage
(c) That John will soon move to Castile and not return
(d) He is in possession of documents that could ruin John forever
8. How does the sword fight between Hugh and Roger end?
(a) Roger wins
(b) The Duke of Lancaster breaks it up
(c) It's a draw
(d) Hugh wins
9. Who, to Katherine's dismay, is in attendance at the ceremony commemorating the death of Blanche, the duke's first wife?
(a) Blanche's ghost, whom everyone can see
(b) Costanza, the duke's current wife
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer's father, who is very ill with the black plague
(d) Costanza's mother, a very bothersome woman
10. How does Katherine know the plague has contaminated Bolingbroke when she arrives?
(a) Hugh comes rushing after her and tells her the news
(b) She sees a 4-foot high red cross painted at the bottom of the drawbridge
(c) She sees a 10-foot high black cross hanging from the entry
(d) She sees servants' heads on pikes, the universal plague warning
11. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
(a) Burned to the ground, smoke rising from its ashes
(b) A little shabby but nothing that can't be fixed in a week
(c) Beautifully manicured
(d) Dilapidated, abandoned, in need of repair
12. Why does Hugh order Katherine to stay away from Nichola?
(a) Nichola is, in truth, a sorceress
(b) Nichola will smother her with affection
(c) He doesn't want his unborn child to catch his stepmother's illness
(d) Nichola is clumsy and might trip and fall on her
13. Why does Katherine not hesitate to go into the plague-contaminated Bolingbroke?
(a) Two sorcerers accompany her
(b) She is immune to the plague
(c) She is a hot-headed stubborn woman who does whatever she wants
(d) She wears a special mask that makes her immune
14. Why do the servants resent the pregnant Katherine?
(a) She is overly demanding
(b) She is meaner than before
(c) She's bringing the next of the Swynford generation
(d) She looks so beautiful pregnant
15. What is disturbing John most at this point in his life?
(a) That no one will fully accept his relationship with Katherine
(b) That Geoffrey Chaucer isn't writing a biography of him
(c) That his brother, the Prince of Wales, is more handsome
(d) The rumors circulating that he is a changeling
Short Answer Questions
1. When Raulin and three men show up to escort Katherine and Hawise to Kettlethorpe, he mentions he has some letters from the duke to be delivered to people in Lincoln. Katherine is disappointed because the letters are not for her, but for:
2. Why is Costanza eager to make a pilgrimage to Canterbury?
3. Katherine soon discovers the real reason she has been called upon:
4. John has a dream in which he "felt the touch of the sacred oil as the archbishop anointed him and he had felt, vivid as in waking, the holy pressure" of a certain country's crown. What country's crown?
5. What happens when Katherine goes alone to the courtyard?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)