|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hugh confident he'll return by May?
(a) He went to a fortune teller who said that the Castilians won't last long
(b) He's certain that it won't take long to beat
(c) He's certain that the Castilians can't fight in warmer weather
(d) His contract prevents him from fighting any longer
2. Who is John interested in marrying?
(a) Costanza, Queen of Castile
(b) Alice Perrers
(c) Elizabeth, Queen of England
(d) Alice Walker
3. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
(b) A bad heart
(d) Water-elf sickness
4. Who prevents Nichola from drowning the newborn baby?
(b) The Duke of Lancaster
5. Katherine goes to mass and runs into John, disguised as a pilgrim. He tells her:
(a) He's thinking of changing the law so that he can have multiple wives
(b) He has become a cleric
(c) He loves her and cannot live without her
(d) He sees the ghost of his wife everywhere and is scared
6. Do Katherine and Blanche get along?
(a) Not at all. Blanche sees Katherine as another maid and treats her as such
(b) Yes. They enjoy singing and sewing together
(c) Blanche is too busy to spend any time with Katherine, so it's hard to say
(d) They are civil to one another.
7. After reversing the Parliament's measures, John still has two significant enemies:
(a) Katherine and Costanza
(b) The Earl of March and Bishop Courtenay of London
(c) Isolda and Pieter
(d) The King and the Prince of Wales
8. Also at the House of Commons, Alice Perrers is accused of:
(a) Spying for the Castilians
(b) Spying for the Italians
(c) Bribery, fraud, theft, and holding the king with witchcraft
(d) Putting a spell on the Queen
9. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
(a) He wishes Katherine were of a better rank
(b) He doesn't reveal any thoughts on Katherine
(c) He thinks highly of her and that she would be a better wife than Costanza
(d) Very low, he think she's a slut
10. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
(a) They are actually Gascons, who are born with Plague immunity
(b) They were safe in the North Tower throughout the scourge
(c) They hid underground where they could not contract the disease
(d) They were on holiday in France where there is no Plague
11. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
(b) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
(c) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
(d) He vows to give England to Castile
12. Where does the duke take Katherine?
(a) The Captal de Buch's chateau
(d) Windsor Castle
13. Whose husband leads the angry mob?
(a) Philippa's husband, Geoffrey
(b) Costanza's husband, the duke
(c) Emma's husband, Guy le Pessoner
(d) Jack, Hawise's husband
14. Why does Hugh order Katherine to stay away from Nichola?
(a) Nichola is, in truth, a sorceress
(b) He doesn't want his unborn child to catch his stepmother's illness
(c) Nichola will smother her with affection
(d) Nichola is clumsy and might trip and fall on her
15. When Katherine reaches Hugh in Aquitaine, he's as ill-tempered as ever. But he softens up when she tells him about:
(a) A magic potion that will heal him instantly
(b) A new wine venture she has started that's sure to be successful
(c) Their children
(d) The money they're making from their estates
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Katherine form a lifelong friendship when she is at the Pessoner home?
2. What does the local bishop call Katherine after meeting her?
3. Katherine goes to the Chapel to visit Blanches' body and finds the duke there. What does he tell her?
4. All of the duke's men are happy except for Baron de la Pole. The Baron gets sent away for openly expressing his concerns to the duke. On his way to Havering, he meets Brother William Appleton who tells him something interesting about the duke. What does he tell Baron?
5. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)