|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
(a) She learns that Blanche, the Duchess, is also pregnant and rides her horse all of the time
(b) She sees it as an opportunity to try to lose the baby
(c) She thinks Doucette, her horse, needs exercise
(d) The servants refuse to take her
2. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
(a) They were on holiday in France where there is no Plague
(b) They are actually Gascons, who are born with Plague immunity
(c) They were safe in the North Tower throughout the scourge
(d) They hid underground where they could not contract the disease
3. Where does the duke take Katherine?
(a) The Captal de Buch's chateau
(d) Windsor Castle
4. Who, to Katherine's dismay, is in attendance at the ceremony commemorating the death of Blanche, the duke's first wife?
(a) Blanche's ghost, whom everyone can see
(b) Costanza, the duke's current wife
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer's father, who is very ill with the black plague
(d) Costanza's mother, a very bothersome woman
5. Initially, John tells Katherine he has called for her because:
(a) He wants her to repeat word for word what the priest said when administering the last rites
(b) He thinks Katherine took something valuable of Blanche's and wants it back
(c) He wants to thank her for caring for Blanche at Bolingbroke
(d) He wants her to tell him what Blanche wore when she died
6. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
(a) With joy
(b) With deep sadness
(c) He snickers and says Hugh got what he deserved
(d) He thanks Nirac for being a great loyal servant
7. Who is John interested in marrying?
(a) Alice Walker
(b) Elizabeth, Queen of England
(c) Alice Perrers
(d) Costanza, Queen of Castile
8. Also at the House of Commons, Alice Perrers is accused of:
(a) Putting a spell on the Queen
(b) Bribery, fraud, theft, and holding the king with witchcraft
(c) Spying for the Italians
(d) Spying for the Castilians
9. What is disturbing John most at this point in his life?
(a) That his brother, the Prince of Wales, is more handsome
(b) The rumors circulating that he is a changeling
(c) That no one will fully accept his relationship with Katherine
(d) That Geoffrey Chaucer isn't writing a biography of him
10. The Duke goes into seclusion after Blanche's burial, permitting only this person to see him:
(a) Hugh Swynford
(b) The king
(c) Raulin d'Ypres, his young Flemish body squire
(d) Geoffrey Chaucer
11. What is the name of the illness that the Prince of Wales has?
12. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
(a) She feels she's still married to Hugh and cannot be unfaithful to his memory
(b) She has changed her mind and wants to become a nun
(c) She's pregnant with his child
(d) She fell in love with Nirac and they are eloping
13. Why is Hugh confident he'll return by May?
(a) His contract prevents him from fighting any longer
(b) He went to a fortune teller who said that the Castilians won't last long
(c) He's certain that the Castilians can't fight in warmer weather
(d) He's certain that it won't take long to beat
14. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
(a) Brother William, friar
(b) The Earl of Sussex
(c) The Earl of March
(d) Richard, the Prince of Wales's son
15. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
(a) Dilapidated, abandoned, in need of repair
(b) A little shabby but nothing that can't be fixed in a week
(c) Burned to the ground, smoke rising from its ashes
(d) Beautifully manicured
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
2. Why does Katherine not hesitate to go into the plague-contaminated Bolingbroke?
3. Who was Isolda?
4. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
5. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)