|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Katherine tell John when she returns to Bordeaux?
(a) She has changed her mind and wants to become a nun
(b) She feels she's still married to Hugh and cannot be unfaithful to his memory
(c) She fell in love with Nirac and they are eloping
(d) She's pregnant with his child
2. The Duke's pious daughter Philippa worries about her father's relationship with Katherine because:
(a) They live in sin
(b) It's not convenient for her
(c) It's embarrassing to her
(d) She fears being beheaded for her father's sins
3. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
(b) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
(c) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
(d) He vows to give England to Castile
4. Katherine reaches Blanche just in time to:
(a) Get a blessing to have an affair with the duke
(b) Get a judge to annul Blanche's marriage to the duke
(c) Get a priest to administer last rites
(d) Hear Blanche tell her that the duke is not who she thinks he is
5. John has a dream in which he "felt the touch of the sacred oil as the archbishop anointed him and he had felt, vivid as in waking, the holy pressure" of a certain country's crown. What country's crown?
6. Why is Costanza eager to make a pilgrimage to Canterbury?
(a) She hopes St. Thomas will make Katherine magically disappear
(b) She hopes St. Thomas will make her beautiful, like Katherine
(c) She hopes St. Thomas will help her become more fertile
(d) She hopes St. Thomas will help her get more sleep
7. Why does Geoffrey send Philippa to stay at Kettlethorpe?
(a) He doesn't give a reason
(b) He has no money left to support her for the time being
(c) So that she'll be away from the plague in London
(d) He needs to be alone in London so he can write
8. Hugh is initially suspicious as to why the duke has forgiven his debts. When Katherine reassures him that it must be the Duke's way of thanking her for taking care of the Duchess, how does Hugh react?
(a) He slaps her across the face
(b) He kisses her left foot
(c) He kisses her passionately
(d) He kisses her hand lightly
9. Where does the duke take Katherine?
(a) The Captal de Buch's chateau
(d) Windsor Castle
10. Who prevents Nichola from drowning the newborn baby?
(a) The Duke of Lancaster
11. In 1372, Costanza gives birth to a daughter named Catalina. What is that name's equivalent in English?
(d) It has no English equivalent
12. All of the duke's men are happy except for Baron de la Pole. The Baron gets sent away for openly expressing his concerns to the duke. On his way to Havering, he meets Brother William Appleton who tells him something interesting about the duke. What does he tell Baron?
(a) That John will soon move to Castile and not return
(b) He overheard two monks and a Flemish man had created the documents that question the duke's heritage
(c) He has seen genuine documents that confirm the duke is the son of a Flemish butcher
(d) He is in possession of documents that could ruin John forever
13. What important event takes place in April 1369?
(a) France surrenders to England
(b) The king gets the bishop to stop the rain from falling
(c) Castile is declared the capital of continental Europe
(d) England declares war with France again
14. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
(a) Peace, Love, Understanding and Wisdom
(b) There are really only two: Famine and War
(c) Famine, War, Sloth and Hanging
(d) Famine, War, Pestilence and Death
15. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
(a) Brother William, friar
(b) The Earl of March
(c) Richard, the Prince of Wales's son
(d) The Earl of Sussex
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
2. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
3. Katherine goes to mass and runs into John, disguised as a pilgrim. He tells her:
4. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
5. Katherine goes back to the Pessoners' and asks Hawise to:
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)