|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Initially, John tells Katherine he has called for her because:
(a) He wants her to tell him what Blanche wore when she died
(b) He thinks Katherine took something valuable of Blanche's and wants it back
(c) He wants to thank her for caring for Blanche at Bolingbroke
(d) He wants her to repeat word for word what the priest said when administering the last rites
2. How does the sword fight between Hugh and Roger end?
(a) Roger wins
(b) It's a draw
(c) Hugh wins
(d) The Duke of Lancaster breaks it up
3. To whom is Philippa engaged?
(a) Geoffrey Chaucer
(b) The Duke of Lancaster
(c) The King's Squire
(d) Roger DeCheyne
4. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
(a) He thinks Katherine and the duke are in a serious romantic relationship
(b) He has nothing else to do
(c) He thinks he's in love with Katherine
(d) The Duke threatens him if he doesn't
5. Katherine reaches Blanche just in time to:
(a) Hear Blanche tell her that the duke is not who she thinks he is
(b) Get a judge to annul Blanche's marriage to the duke
(c) Get a priest to administer last rites
(d) Get a blessing to have an affair with the duke
6. The Earl of March envies John, but thinks he has one strength and advantage that John does not:
(a) He has fathered many bastard children
(b) He is expecting children with several royal women
(c) He is a better swordsman
(d) The Earl is about to father a child who is closer to the throne than any of the Lancaster children
7. What announcement does the Duke of Lancaster make when he arrives?
(a) Henry won't attend the festivities
(b) Henry Trastamare has sailed with Christopher Columbus to the New World
(c) Henry prefers to be known as Harry, Prince of Wales
(d) Henry Trastamare has usurped the throne of Castile
8. Who or what are the "four dread horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
(a) There are really only two: Famine and War
(b) Famine, War, Sloth and Hanging
(c) Famine, War, Pestilence and Death
(d) Peace, Love, Understanding and Wisdom
9. What happens when Hugh looks up at the black cross in Waltham Abbey?
(a) He faints
(b) The buckle holding his scabard comes lose and his sword falls to the ground
(c) The clasp on his necklace chain comes udone and his pendant falls to the ground
(d) He suddenly has a religious epiphany and decides to become a cleric
10. In 1372, Costanza gives birth to a daughter named Catalina. What is that name's equivalent in English?
(d) It has no English equivalent
11. Why does Katherine find Philippa's letter so upsetting?
(a) Philippa preaches to her about childbearing
(b) Philippa assumes that Katherine is living in great comfort and luxury
(c) Philippa refuses to visit her
(d) Philippa says Katherine is a bad person who deserves an equally bad husband
12. How does Katherine respond to John's amorous declaration?
(a) She no longer feels the same way toward him
(b) Hugh is a changed man and she thinks she's in love with him now
(c) She has made a vow to Saint Catherine and she intends to keep it
(d) She met someone else and is deeply in love with this new man
13. What does Roger DeCheyne ask Katherine for?
(a) A promise to leave Hugh if he wins the joust
(b) A big wet kiss
(c) A token for luck
(d) A blessing before battle
14. Who was Isolda?
(a) John of Gaunt's mother
(b) John of Gaunt's sister
(c) Alice Perrer's older sister
(d) A mysterious servant who charmed the royals
15. The meeting of the House of Commons yields several major accusations. The King's chamberlain, Lord Latimer, is accused of:
(a) Corruption and treason
(b) Impersonating the king
(c) Stealing from the poor and giving to the rich
(d) Trying to seize the throne
Short Answer Questions
1. The Duke's pious daughter Philippa worries about her father's relationship with Katherine because:
2. The Duke manages to get Katherine to go to Aquitaine under what pretense?
3. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
4. Whose husband leads the angry mob?
5. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)