|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Geoffrey send Philippa to stay at Kettlethorpe?
(a) He doesn't give a reason
(b) So that she'll be away from the plague in London
(c) He needs to be alone in London so he can write
(d) He has no money left to support her for the time being
2. In addition to dystentery, what else plagues Hugh?
(a) Migraine headaches
(c) Strange shaking
(d) Strange nightmarish visions
3. How did Katherine's mother die?
(a) She was trampled by a horse
(b) From a mysterious disease
(c) In childbirth
(d) She took her own life
4. What keeps Katherine from going to Bolingbroke sooner?
(a) Violent rainstorms ruin the road to Bolingbroke
(b) A robber stole her horse and Hugh won't give her another one
(c) She can't make up her mind if she really likes Blanche
(d) She has to wait until she can wean Thomas off her
5. Describe the condition of Kettlethorpe when Katherine first arrives:
(a) Burned to the ground, smoke rising from its ashes
(b) Dilapidated, abandoned, in need of repair
(c) Beautifully manicured
(d) A little shabby but nothing that can't be fixed in a week
6. In 1372, Costanza gives birth to a daughter named Catalina. What is that name's equivalent in English?
(a) It has no English equivalent
7. Nirac overhears John's declaration to Katherine. He decides to take matters into his own hands by:
(a) Poisoning Hugh
(b) Poisoning Costanza
(c) Poisoning Katherine
(d) Putting Hugh on the front lines in battle
8. Why does Philippa end up sending Katherine to Bolingbroke?
(a) Katherine complains that Philippa is too bossy
(b) Katherine cries for Blanche morning and night
(c) She finds Katherine to be bad company
(d) The living conditions at Kettlethorpe are horrible.
9. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
(a) The servants refuse to take her
(b) She sees it as an opportunity to try to lose the baby
(c) She thinks Doucette, her horse, needs exercise
(d) She learns that Blanche, the Duchess, is also pregnant and rides her horse all of the time
10. Katherine reaches Blanche just in time to:
(a) Get a blessing to have an affair with the duke
(b) Get a priest to administer last rites
(c) Hear Blanche tell her that the duke is not who she thinks he is
(d) Get a judge to annul Blanche's marriage to the duke
11. To whom is Hugh indebted?
(a) The King
(b) Geoffrey Chaucer
(c) John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster
(d) Alice Perrers
12. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
(a) With joy
(b) He snickers and says Hugh got what he deserved
(c) With deep sadness
(d) He thanks Nirac for being a great loyal servant
13. Who, to Katherine's dismay, is in attendance at the ceremony commemorating the death of Blanche, the duke's first wife?
(a) Costanza's mother, a very bothersome woman
(b) Costanza, the duke's current wife
(c) Blanche's ghost, whom everyone can see
(d) Geoffrey Chaucer's father, who is very ill with the black plague
14. How does John suddenly strengthen his political position?
(a) He changes the law so all couples can live in sin
(b) He reverses the measures the Parliament recently passed, he frees Alice Perrers and prisoners sentenced by the House of Commons
(c) He gives Costanza the freedom to divorce him if she wants
(d) He vows to give England to Castile
15. When John returns to celebrate St. George's Day, what does Katherine find Hawise doing in her bedroom?
(a) Taking a nap in the big bed
(b) Removing the bed so that John and Katherine cannot conceive
(c) Shaking a roawn branch over the bed and muttering a curse hoping that Katherine will no longer conceive
(d) Ironing the bed sheets so they're very crisp
Short Answer Questions
1. Katherine goes to the Chapel to visit Blanches' body and finds the duke there. What does he tell her?
2. Despite telling the Captal that he only loves Katherine, what must John do?
3. The Duke manages to get Katherine to go to Aquitaine under what pretense?
4. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
5. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)