|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Duchess's children evade the Plague?
(a) They are actually Gascons, who are born with Plague immunity
(b) They were safe in the North Tower throughout the scourge
(c) They were on holiday in France where there is no Plague
(d) They hid underground where they could not contract the disease
2. To whom do the king and John pledge their allegiance when the Old King dies?
(a) Richard, the Prince of Wales's son
(b) Brother William, friar
(c) The Earl of Sussex
(d) The Earl of March
3. Why does Geoffrey send Philippa to stay at Kettlethorpe?
(a) He has no money left to support her for the time being
(b) He needs to be alone in London so he can write
(c) He doesn't give a reason
(d) So that she'll be away from the plague in London
4. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
(a) Alice Perrers
(d) A nun from the convent
5. Who sets the playful tone by dancing a dog on the table at Blanche's funeral dinner hosted by the king?
(a) Philippa and Geoffrey, who have no tact
(b) Katherine, who thinks Blanche would have preferred a jovial funeral dinner
(c) The Duke of Lancaster, who shows up unexpectedly
(d) Alice Perrers, his mistress
6. What does Katherine tell Hugh before he leaves for war?
(a) That she's pregnant
(b) She has discovered that she cannot have children
(c) He must stop at the Lancaster estate for a blessing first
(d) She's leaving him and not to look for her
7. What important event takes place in April 1369?
(a) England declares war with France again
(b) The king gets the bishop to stop the rain from falling
(c) Castile is declared the capital of continental Europe
(d) France surrenders to England
8. Who prevents Nichola from drowning the newborn baby?
(c) The Duke of Lancaster
9. How does the sword fight between Hugh and Roger end?
(a) Hugh wins
(b) Roger wins
(c) It's a draw
(d) The Duke of Lancaster breaks it up
10. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
(a) He doesn't reveal any thoughts on Katherine
(b) Very low, he think she's a slut
(c) He thinks highly of her and that she would be a better wife than Costanza
(d) He wishes Katherine were of a better rank
11. The Duke goes into seclusion after Blanche's burial, permitting only this person to see him:
(a) The king
(b) Raulin d'Ypres, his young Flemish body squire
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer
(d) Hugh Swynford
12. What does the local bishop call Katherine after meeting her?
(a) Princess Katherine
(b) A charity wench
(c) A goddess
(d) A barmaid
13. Where does the duke take Katherine?
(a) Windsor Castle
(d) The Captal de Buch's chateau
14. What mode of transport does Katherine use when leaving the convent?
(b) Horse and buggy
(c) A pumpkin-shaped carriage
(d) None. She walks.
15. Who is John interested in marrying?
(a) Costanza, Queen of Castile
(b) Elizabeth, Queen of England
(c) Alice Walker
(d) Alice Perrers
Short Answer Questions
1. Nirac overhears John's declaration to Katherine. He decides to take matters into his own hands by:
2. How does the duke react to news of Hugh's death?
3. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
4. Why does Katherine not hesitate to go into the plague-contaminated Bolingbroke?
5. Why is Hugh confident he'll return by May?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)