|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hugh confident he'll return by May?
(a) His contract prevents him from fighting any longer
(b) He went to a fortune teller who said that the Castilians won't last long
(c) He's certain that it won't take long to beat
(d) He's certain that the Castilians can't fight in warmer weather
2. To whom is Philippa engaged?
(a) The Duke of Lancaster
(b) Roger DeCheyne
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer
(d) The King's Squire
3. To whom is Hugh indebted?
(a) Geoffrey Chaucer
(b) The King
(c) Alice Perrers
(d) John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster
4. What illness does Nichola, Hugh's stepmother, have?
(b) Water-elf sickness
(d) A bad heart
5. After reversing the Parliament's measures, John still has two significant enemies:
(a) Isolda and Pieter
(b) The Earl of March and Bishop Courtenay of London
(c) Katherine and Costanza
(d) The King and the Prince of Wales
6. What mode of transport does Katherine use when leaving the convent?
(b) None. She walks.
(c) Horse and buggy
(d) A pumpkin-shaped carriage
7. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
(a) She sees it as an opportunity to try to lose the baby
(b) She thinks Doucette, her horse, needs exercise
(c) She learns that Blanche, the Duchess, is also pregnant and rides her horse all of the time
(d) The servants refuse to take her
8. What announcement does the Duke of Lancaster make when he arrives?
(a) Henry Trastamare has usurped the throne of Castile
(b) Henry prefers to be known as Harry, Prince of Wales
(c) Henry won't attend the festivities
(d) Henry Trastamare has sailed with Christopher Columbus to the New World
9. What happens when Hugh looks up at the black cross in Waltham Abbey?
(a) The buckle holding his scabard comes lose and his sword falls to the ground
(b) He suddenly has a religious epiphany and decides to become a cleric
(c) He faints
(d) The clasp on his necklace chain comes udone and his pendant falls to the ground
10. What does Geoffrey Chaucer feel about Katherine's relationship with John?
(a) That it's inappropriate
(b) He could care less
(c) He thinks it will be great source material for his next work
(d) He approves
11. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
(a) He thinks he's in love with Katherine
(b) He has nothing else to do
(c) The Duke threatens him if he doesn't
(d) He thinks Katherine and the duke are in a serious romantic relationship
12. Why does the duke insist on seeing Katherine before remarrying?
(a) He wants her opinion of his wedding attire
(b) He wants her permission to marry a queen
(c) He wants to see if he's over her
(d) He wants to know if, because Katherine was close to Blanche, she thinks Blanche would approve of the union
13. Hugh takes the drink from Katherine and soon thereafter dreams of the Kettlethorpe Pooka Hound with "fiery-red eyes." What does the Pooka Hound symbolize?
(c) Long life and prosperity
(d) Nothing. He's just a crazy dog
14. Who helps Katherine deliver her baby?
15. What does the local bishop call Katherine after meeting her?
(a) A charity wench
(b) Princess Katherine
(c) A barmaid
(d) A goddess
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the illness that the Prince of Wales has?
2. Why does Geoffrey send Philippa to stay at Kettlethorpe?
3. Katherine soon discovers the real reason she has been called upon:
4. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
5. With whom does Katherine form a lifelong friendship when she is at the Pessoner home?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)