|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the duke insist on seeing Katherine before remarrying?
(a) He wants to know if, because Katherine was close to Blanche, she thinks Blanche would approve of the union
(b) He wants to see if he's over her
(c) He wants her permission to marry a queen
(d) He wants her opinion of his wedding attire
2. Katherine reaches Blanche just in time to:
(a) Get a blessing to have an affair with the duke
(b) Hear Blanche tell her that the duke is not who she thinks he is
(c) Get a judge to annul Blanche's marriage to the duke
(d) Get a priest to administer last rites
3. As Katherine passes the skin market at Danesgate, she sees:
(a) A nun from the convent
(c) Alice Perrers
4. Do Katherine and Blanche get along?
(a) They are civil to one another.
(b) Not at all. Blanche sees Katherine as another maid and treats her as such
(c) Blanche is too busy to spend any time with Katherine, so it's hard to say
(d) Yes. They enjoy singing and sewing together
5. Why do the servants resent the pregnant Katherine?
(a) She's bringing the next of the Swynford generation
(b) She is meaner than before
(c) She looks so beautiful pregnant
(d) She is overly demanding
6. How does Nirac describe Costanza's appearance?
(a) Plain and forgetful
(b) Shabby, bony, flat-chested with a hair shirt to remind her of her father
(c) Exquisite, voluptuous, dressed in the most beautiful dresses
(d) So repulsive that it would be best to look elsewhere in her presence
7. How does Bolingbroke, the home of the Lancasters, compare with Kettlethorpe?
(a) It is beautiful, alive and welcoming
(b) It is newer but has no distinct characteristics
(c) Uglier and the property much smaller
(d) There is almost no difference. The estates were built by the same architect
8. In Parliament, the king seems to be interested only in:
(a) Taking a nap after the session
(b) The way he is dressed
(c) Having lunch with Alice Perrers
(d) Getting a measure passed for the hanging of Alice Perrers
9. What is the Captal's opinion of Katherine?
(a) He thinks highly of her and that she would be a better wife than Costanza
(b) He wishes Katherine were of a better rank
(c) Very low, he think she's a slut
(d) He doesn't reveal any thoughts on Katherine
10. Why does Katherine decide to ride her horse to visit the Duchess of Lancaster?
(a) She learns that Blanche, the Duchess, is also pregnant and rides her horse all of the time
(b) The servants refuse to take her
(c) She sees it as an opportunity to try to lose the baby
(d) She thinks Doucette, her horse, needs exercise
11. Who is John interested in marrying?
(a) Alice Perrers
(b) Costanza, Queen of Castile
(c) Elizabeth, Queen of England
(d) Alice Walker
12. What mode of transport does Katherine use when leaving the convent?
(a) A pumpkin-shaped carriage
(b) Horse and buggy
(c) None. She walks.
13. What worries Hawise about the affair between John and Katherine?
(a) That she will not have enough energy to look after the many children they plan to have
(b) That if something goes wrong, she will be in trouble
(c) That Katherine might take another lover
(d) That John will tire of Katherine
14. Why does Nirac, the duke's loyal servant, decide to guard Katherine with his life?
(a) He thinks Katherine and the duke are in a serious romantic relationship
(b) He has nothing else to do
(c) The Duke threatens him if he doesn't
(d) He thinks he's in love with Katherine
15. Katherine goes to the Chapel to visit Blanches' body and finds the duke there. What does he tell her?
(a) He's giving Bolingbroke to the convent
(b) To leave
(c) To stay until he feels better
(d) He wishes he had caught the Plague so he could be dead with Blanche
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hugh order Katherine to stay away from Nichola?
2. In 1372, Costanza gives birth to a daughter named Catalina. What is that name's equivalent in English?
3. The Duke manages to get Katherine to go to Aquitaine under what pretense?
4. What does the local bishop call Katherine after meeting her?
5. Who does Katherine encounter on the ship to Bordeaux?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)