|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Gichin postpone a visit to when Kano wanted a demonstration?
2. Gichin was asked to introduce karate to what Japanese capital?
3. Gichin was on the faculty of a school near what?
4. Gichin was dismayed by popular press notions of what in karate?
5. How many bowls of soup did Gichin have a day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence appeared throughout Karate-Do. Who was violent? In what ways were individuals violent or abusive? What was their effect on other individuals and their lives? Did these individuals change over time?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in Karate-Do took on very different forms. For example, Gichin's wife and his mother appeared quite traditional, yet the women in Gichin's class were not. Compare these differing roles of women.
Essay Topic 3
Gichin employed simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex concepts. Both styles employed powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)