|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the painter do for Gichin's book?
2. Who was a first-rate karateka?
3. Where did Gichin live with his oldest son in 1945?
4. How many weapons did Gichin identify from the wrist down?
5. What might contribute to the appearance and health of girls and young women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gichin learn from his students?
2. What was the true meaning of karate?
3. Why did Gichin's wife not live with him?
4. How did Gichin approach karate training?
5. What did Gichin teach his students about karate that kept them from forming illegal gangs?
6. What were some benefits for women from taking karate according to Gichin?
7. Why was Gichin so healthy?
8. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
9. Why did Gichin warn against arrogance in training?
10. Why was Gichin ashamed of how he reacted to the thief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Karate-Do. What was the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How did these settings reflect modern settings or culture? Do you think the setting influenced the development of karate or vice-versa?
Essay Topic 2
How did Matsumura illustrate the lesson of vanity? Describe in relation to his reaction to the attack launched by the engraver.
Essay Topic 3
Freedom was a recurring theme in Karate-Do. Who was free? Who lacked freedom? What constricted freedom? How did Gichin gain or lose freedom? Which authorities controlled access to freedom and in what ways? Did Gichin need a purpose in life to be free?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)