|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Gichin get students?
2. In 1921, who held a demonstration of ancient Japanese martial arts?
3. Gichin urged karate students to train with the eyes of what?
4. Where was Gichin's sick wife?
5. Gichin was on the faculty of a school near what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gichin teach his students about karate that kept them from forming illegal gangs?
2. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
3. What did Gichin learn from his students?
4. What was the public bathhouse tale told by Seiji?
5. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
6. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
7. Why was Gichin so healthy?
8. Why did Gichin warn against arrogance in training?
9. How was karate-do a way of life?
10. How did Gichin get started with his new school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karate-Do was particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's individuals and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. The author used imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this book.
Essay Topic 2
Gichin and Azato were two of the most active individuals in the book in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in the spread of karate through Okinawa and modern Japan.
Part 1) What was their relationship? How did they co-exist and how did they interact? What was similar about them and what was different?
Part 2) What were some events that Gichin had a direct influence upon? What were some events that Azato had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which individual offered support to the group? Which one was stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Gichin emphasized the importance of training in karate. What was an example of a kata described by Gichin? How long did it take to master a kata? What was necessary for mastery? Who could do it?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)