|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Gichin when he performed for the crown prince?
2. Despite fears of war, where did Japan remain peaceful?
3. In 1945, Gichin's dojo was destroyed by what?
4. How many weapons did Gichin identify from the wrist down?
5. Who was the Russian war hero that supported Funakoshi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
2. What were some benefits for women from taking karate according to Gichin?
3. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
4. Describe Gichin's concern for his former students as the war with China began.
5. How did karate stand out according to Gichin?
6. How was karate-do a way of life?
7. What did Gichin teach his students about karate that kept them from forming illegal gangs?
8. What did Gichin learn from his students?
9. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
10. Describe the altercation Gichin had with the thief in the rain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karate-Do was particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's individuals and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. The author used imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this book.
Essay Topic 2
How does karate relate to Buddhist philosophy as described by Gichin? Do you find this comparison accurate? Which followers of Buddhist philosophy mentioned in the book were significant in terms of karate?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Gichin's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)