|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gichin say that trainees used karate for?
2. What did children in the garden call Gichin for his smooth, ruddy-skinned complexion?
3. What did popular wrestlers use that could kill a man instantly?
4. What painter sought instruction for his organization, the Tabata Poplar Club?
5. In 1945, Gichin's dojo was destroyed by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
2. How did Gichin approach karate training?
3. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
4. Why did Gichin's wife not live with him?
5. Why was Gichin ashamed of how he reacted to the thief?
6. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
7. How did Gichin get started with his new school?
8. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
9. How did the earthquake affect Gichin's trade?
10. Describe the altercation Gichin had with the thief in the rain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom was a recurring theme in Karate-Do. Who was free? Who lacked freedom? What constricted freedom? How did Gichin gain or lose freedom? Which authorities controlled access to freedom and in what ways? Did Gichin need a purpose in life to be free?
Essay Topic 2
Knowledge was an important concept in the book. Who had knowledge and in what way? Who lost or gained knowledge? Was Gichin's desire for knowledge the same as that of Azato? What about the members of the Meiji government? In what ways were these individuals similar in their pursuit of knowledge or influence?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Gichin's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)