|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gichin warn against becoming when learning kata?
2. What did karate training require as a student progressed levels?
3. What did children in the garden call Gichin for his smooth, ruddy-skinned complexion?
4. Who when trained in karate might be more obedient?
5. What made kata similar to dance?
Essay Topic 1
Gichin's wife practiced Buddhism in a traditional way. How was her practice of religion different from that of Gichin? What traditions did Gichin's wife follow? Did they seem rigid to you?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Karate-Do. What was the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How did these settings reflect modern settings or culture? Do you think the setting influenced the development of karate or vice-versa?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sueyoshi. What was his role in Karate-Do? What was Gichin trying to accomplish by describing Sueyoshi?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)