|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mastery of one kata could take how long?
2. Where was Gichin's sick wife?
3. What did popular wrestlers use that could kill a man instantly?
4. Gichin was on the faculty of a school near what?
5. What was the Okinawan dormitory that Gichin stayed at?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did karate stand out according to Gichin?
2. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
3. What were some benefits for women from taking karate according to Gichin?
4. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
5. What was the true meaning of karate?
6. What did Gichin learn from his students?
7. Why did the children call Gichin "snake gourd?"
8. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
9. Why was Gichin so healthy?
10. How did Gichin get started with his new school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin and Azato were two of the most active individuals in the book in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in the spread of karate through Okinawa and modern Japan.
Part 1) What was their relationship? How did they co-exist and how did they interact? What was similar about them and what was different?
Part 2) What were some events that Gichin had a direct influence upon? What were some events that Azato had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which individual offered support to the group? Which one was stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
How did Matsumura illustrate the lesson of vanity? Describe in relation to his reaction to the attack launched by the engraver.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Karate-Do. What was the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How did these settings reflect modern settings or culture? Do you think the setting influenced the development of karate or vice-versa?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)