|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion did Gichin's wife follow?
2. Who began to join the karate dojo when Gichin was 80?
3. Karate was known in what Islands?
4. How old was Gichin when he performed for the crown prince?
5. Gichin took his wife's ashes by train to where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was karate-do a way of life?
2. What did Gichin teach his students about karate that kept them from forming illegal gangs?
3. Why did Gichin warn against arrogance in training?
4. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
5. What was the true meaning of karate?
6. Why was Gichin so healthy?
7. How did Gichin approach karate training?
8. Why was Gichin ashamed of how he reacted to the thief?
9. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
10. Describe the altercation Gichin had with the thief in the rain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in Karate-Do took on very different forms. For example, Gichin's wife and his mother appeared quite traditional, yet the women in Gichin's class were not. Compare these differing roles of women.
Essay Topic 2
Gichin emphasized the importance of training in karate. What was an example of a kata described by Gichin? How long did it take to master a kata? What was necessary for mastery? Who could do it?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom was a recurring theme in Karate-Do. Who was free? Who lacked freedom? What constricted freedom? How did Gichin gain or lose freedom? Which authorities controlled access to freedom and in what ways? Did Gichin need a purpose in life to be free?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)