|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Gichin's favorite food?
2. Who when trained in karate might be more obedient?
3. What did Gichin sleep on?
4. Despite fears of war, where did Japan remain peaceful?
5. Gichin's book was published in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gichin teach his students about karate that kept them from forming illegal gangs?
2. How did Gichin approach karate training?
3. Describe the altercation Gichin had with the thief in the rain.
4. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
5. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
6. Why did Gichin warn against arrogance in training?
7. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
8. What was the public bathhouse tale told by Seiji?
9. What were some benefits for women from taking karate according to Gichin?
10. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Gichin's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Gichin discussed both patriotism and war vividly in Karate-Do. Find some examples of each and discuss the effect of these topics on Gichin.
Essay Topic 3
Freedom was a recurring theme in Karate-Do. Who was free? Who lacked freedom? What constricted freedom? How did Gichin gain or lose freedom? Which authorities controlled access to freedom and in what ways? Did Gichin need a purpose in life to be free?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)