|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way to the last train to Tokyo after a party, who did Gichin encounter?
2. What did popular wrestlers use that could kill a man instantly?
3. How many weapons did Gichin identify from the wrist down?
4. Gichin was moved by His Majesty's memory of a demonstration that he did many years ago at what location?
5. What earthquake struck on September 1, 1923?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did mastery of karate-do require according to Gichin?
2. Why did the children call Gichin "snake gourd?"
3. Why did Gichin's wife not live with him?
4. Why was Gichin so healthy?
5. Describe Gichin's concern for his former students as the war with China began.
6. What did Gichin learn from his students?
7. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
8. Why was Gichin ashamed of how he reacted to the thief?
9. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
10. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author mentioned some stereotypes associated with karate. How were stereotypes often based in myth? What aspects of stereotypes seemed real? With karate, many myths abounded in relation to strength and ability. What were they? Were they believable?
Essay Topic 2
Knowledge was an important concept in the book. Who had knowledge and in what way? Who lost or gained knowledge? Was Gichin's desire for knowledge the same as that of Azato? What about the members of the Meiji government? In what ways were these individuals similar in their pursuit of knowledge or influence?
Essay Topic 3
How did Matsumura illustrate the lesson of vanity? Describe in relation to his reaction to the attack launched by the engraver.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)