|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karate was known in what Islands?
2. What earthquake struck on September 1, 1923?
3. What was deadly serious where an opponent must always be in one's mind to survive and avoid failure?
4. Gichin was asked to introduce karate to what Japanese capital?
5. What were the police afraid would happen with karate students?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gichin get started with his new school?
2. What was the true meaning of karate?
3. What did Gichin learn from his students?
4. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
5. Why did Gichin warn against arrogance in training?
6. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
7. Describe the altercation Gichin had with the thief in the rain.
8. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
9. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
10. What did mastery of karate-do require according to Gichin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does karate relate to Buddhist philosophy as described by Gichin? Do you find this comparison accurate? Which followers of Buddhist philosophy mentioned in the book were significant in terms of karate?
Essay Topic 2
Gichin's wife practiced Buddhism in a traditional way. How was her practice of religion different from that of Gichin? What traditions did Gichin's wife follow? Did they seem rigid to you?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Karate-Do. What was the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How did these settings reflect modern settings or culture? Do you think the setting influenced the development of karate or vice-versa?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)