|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the person Gichin met in Tokyo want from him?
2. What did Gichin grab of the thief that made him yell?
3. Where was Gichin's sick wife?
4. Serious Karate-do pupils were _____________ to maintain interest and training over the long term.
5. What was Gichin's wife sick from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
2. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
3. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
4. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
5. Describe the altercation Gichin had with the thief in the rain.
6. What did mastery of karate-do require according to Gichin?
7. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
8. How did karate stand out according to Gichin?
9. How did the earthquake affect Gichin's trade?
10. How was karate-do a way of life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the importance of avoiding conflict according to Gichin? How did Gichin illustrate this in the example with the thieves entering his house? Did he respond in a similar way to Isotu? Were there any differences?
Essay Topic 2
Gichin's wife practiced Buddhism in a traditional way. How was her practice of religion different from that of Gichin? What traditions did Gichin's wife follow? Did they seem rigid to you?
Essay Topic 3
How does karate relate to Buddhist philosophy as described by Gichin? Do you find this comparison accurate? Which followers of Buddhist philosophy mentioned in the book were significant in terms of karate?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)