|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Okinawan dormitory that Gichin stayed at?
2. Gichin urged karate students to train with the eyes of what?
3. Where did an earthquake strike on September 1, 1923?
4. Who was the Russian war hero that supported Funakoshi?
5. What earthquake struck on September 1, 1923?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was karate-do a way of life?
2. How did Gichin get started with his new school?
3. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
4. Why was Gichin so healthy?
5. What did Gichin teach his students about karate that kept them from forming illegal gangs?
6. Describe Gichin's concern for his former students as the war with China began.
7. What did Gichin learn from his students?
8. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
9. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
10. What was the true meaning of karate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Karate-Do. What was the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How did these settings reflect modern settings or culture? Do you think the setting influenced the development of karate or vice-versa?
Essay Topic 2
How does karate relate to Buddhist philosophy as described by Gichin? Do you find this comparison accurate? Which followers of Buddhist philosophy mentioned in the book were significant in terms of karate?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom was a recurring theme in Karate-Do. Who was free? Who lacked freedom? What constricted freedom? How did Gichin gain or lose freedom? Which authorities controlled access to freedom and in what ways? Did Gichin need a purpose in life to be free?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)