|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gichin like to do despite offers of assistance?
2. How did Gichin eat his food in the summer?
3. Who told the public bathhouse tale that Gichin repeated?
4. What was Gichin's favorite food?
5. On the way to the last train to Tokyo after a party, who did Gichin encounter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom was a recurring theme in Karate-Do. Who was free? Who lacked freedom? What constricted freedom? How did Gichin gain or lose freedom? Which authorities controlled access to freedom and in what ways? Did Gichin need a purpose in life to be free?
Essay Topic 2
Knowledge was an important concept in the book. Who had knowledge and in what way? Who lost or gained knowledge? Was Gichin's desire for knowledge the same as that of Azato? What about the members of the Meiji government? In what ways were these individuals similar in their pursuit of knowledge or influence?
Essay Topic 3
How does karate relate to Buddhist philosophy as described by Gichin? Do you find this comparison accurate? Which followers of Buddhist philosophy mentioned in the book were significant in terms of karate?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)