|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gichin show containing photographs of karate stances, kata, and movements?
2. What did Gichin compare a man's body to?
3. Gichin urged students to practice what in public and private daily life?
4. Serious Karate-do pupils were _____________ to maintain interest and training over the long term.
5. Why was Gichin ashamed of himself after confronting the thief?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gichin learn from his students?
2. How did Gichin get started with his new school?
3. Describe Gichin's concern for his former students as the war with China began.
4. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
5. How was karate-do a way of life?
6. Why was Gichin so healthy?
7. Why was Gichin ashamed of how he reacted to the thief?
8. What was the true meaning of karate?
9. How did Gichin approach karate training?
10. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence appeared throughout Karate-Do. Who was violent? In what ways were individuals violent or abusive? What was their effect on other individuals and their lives? Did these individuals change over time?
Essay Topic 2
How did Matsumura illustrate the lesson of vanity? Describe in relation to his reaction to the attack launched by the engraver.
Essay Topic 3
Gichin employed simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex concepts. Both styles employed powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)