|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What earthquake struck on September 1, 1923?
2. From where did Gichin get students?
3. On the way to the last train to Tokyo after a party, who did Gichin encounter?
4. What did Gichin say that trainees used karate for?
5. Mastery of one kata could take how long?
Essay Topic 1
Freedom was a recurring theme in Karate-Do. Who was free? Who lacked freedom? What constricted freedom? How did Gichin gain or lose freedom? Which authorities controlled access to freedom and in what ways? Did Gichin need a purpose in life to be free?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Gichin's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Karate-Do. What was the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How did these settings reflect modern settings or culture? Do you think the setting influenced the development of karate or vice-versa?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)