|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mastery of one kata could take how long?
2. What did popular wrestlers use that could kill a man instantly?
3. What did the person Gichin met in Tokyo want from him?
4. Gichin was on the faculty of a school near what?
5. Who was the naval man that became a student of Gichin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
2. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
3. How did the earthquake affect Gichin's trade?
4. What were some benefits for women from taking karate according to Gichin?
5. Why did the children call Gichin "snake gourd?"
6. How did karate stand out according to Gichin?
7. Why was Gichin ashamed of how he reacted to the thief?
8. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
9. Why did Gichin warn against arrogance in training?
10. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness in Karate-Do. Which of the individuals were lonely? Were they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Karate-Do. What was the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How did these settings reflect modern settings or culture? Do you think the setting influenced the development of karate or vice-versa?
Essay Topic 3
Gichin and Azato were two of the most active individuals in the book in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in the spread of karate through Okinawa and modern Japan.
Part 1) What was their relationship? How did they co-exist and how did they interact? What was similar about them and what was different?
Part 2) What were some events that Gichin had a direct influence upon? What were some events that Azato had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which individual offered support to the group? Which one was stronger and why?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)