|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might contribute to the appearance and health of girls and young women?
2. Former students of Gichin who were unable to carry a rifle or sword were told to do what to the enemy during the war?
3. Who began to join the karate dojo when Gichin was 80?
4. Where did Gichin live with his oldest son in 1945?
5. What did popular wrestlers use that could kill a man instantly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
2. How did karate stand out according to Gichin?
3. What were some benefits for women from taking karate according to Gichin?
4. What was the public bathhouse tale told by Seiji?
5. How did Gichin get started with his new school?
6. Why did Gichin's wife not live with him?
7. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
8. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
9. What did mastery of karate-do require according to Gichin?
10. Why was Gichin so healthy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence appeared throughout Karate-Do. Who was violent? In what ways were individuals violent or abusive? What was their effect on other individuals and their lives? Did these individuals change over time?
Essay Topic 2
The author mentioned some stereotypes associated with karate. How were stereotypes often based in myth? What aspects of stereotypes seemed real? With karate, many myths abounded in relation to strength and ability. What were they? Were they believable?
Essay Topic 3
The role of women in Karate-Do took on very different forms. For example, Gichin's wife and his mother appeared quite traditional, yet the women in Gichin's class were not. Compare these differing roles of women.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)