|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of eyes did Matsumura have?
2. What did Gichin have to learn because of his social class?
3. As children, where did most Japanese students train to learn martial arts?
4. What did Matsumura learn was the only obstacle to life?
5. Karate became a part of what education in schools and colleges in Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
2. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
3. How was Gichin described in the first section of the book?
4. How was Gichin described as a child?
5. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
6. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
7. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
8. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
9. How were Gichin's karate teachers described in the first section of the book?
10. How did Itosu teach his students the meaning of karate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin discussed both patriotism and war vividly in Karate-Do. Find some examples of each and discuss the effect of these topics on Gichin.
Essay Topic 2
The author mentioned some stereotypes associated with karate. How were stereotypes often based in myth? What aspects of stereotypes seemed real? With karate, many myths abounded in relation to strength and ability. What were they? Were they believable?
Essay Topic 3
Violence appeared throughout Karate-Do. Who was violent? In what ways were individuals violent or abusive? What was their effect on other individuals and their lives? Did these individuals change over time?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)