|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a small kingdom with no weapons that Napoleon commented on?
2. Gichin Funakoshi is a karate master and scholar of what kind of classics?
3. Who were classified in four teaching groups as elementary classes, higher grades, special courses and assistants?
4. Within how many years did karate men from Okinawa introduce and teach the art?
5. Gichin felt what about hand wrestling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
2. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
3. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
4. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
5. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
6. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
7. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
8. How did Matsumura defeat the engraver?
9. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
10. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin employed simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex concepts. Both styles employed powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Karate-Do was particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's individuals and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. The author used imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Gichin discussed both patriotism and war vividly in Karate-Do. Find some examples of each and discuss the effect of these topics on Gichin.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)