|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the only student of Azato?
2. At what age did Gichin become a teacher?
3. What was a small kingdom with no weapons that Napoleon commented on?
4. What were karate experts known for apparently according to the public?
5. Karate became a part of what education in schools and colleges in Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
2. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
3. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
4. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
5. How did karate spread in Japan?
6. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
7. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
8. How were Gichin's karate teachers described in the first section of the book?
9. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
10. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin's wife practiced Buddhism in a traditional way. How was her practice of religion different from that of Gichin? What traditions did Gichin's wife follow? Did they seem rigid to you?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sueyoshi. What was his role in Karate-Do? What was Gichin trying to accomplish by describing Sueyoshi?
Essay Topic 3
Gichin employed simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex concepts. Both styles employed powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)