|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conflict developed between the coastal village of Motobe and the hamlet of what?
2. Why did Gichin practice a martial art with Azato secretly?
3. Gichin went with Master Itosu on what kind of viewing party?
4. Gichin's school was visited by who?
5. When did the Meiji Restoration begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Gichin learned about hand wrestling and karate-do.
2. How did Matsumura defeat the engraver?
3. How was Gichin described as a child?
4. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
5. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
6. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
7. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
8. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
9. Describe the origins of karate.
10. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karate-Do was particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's individuals and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. The author used imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this book.
Essay Topic 2
Gichin emphasized the importance of training in karate. What was an example of a kata described by Gichin? How long did it take to master a kata? What was necessary for mastery? Who could do it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sueyoshi. What was his role in Karate-Do? What was Gichin trying to accomplish by describing Sueyoshi?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)