|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conflict developed between the coastal village of Motobe and the hamlet of what?
2. What did boxing evolve into in China?
3. The people of what area trade with southern China where boxing was practiced?
4. Who started the Okinawa Association for Spirit of the Martial Arts?
5. A nukite describes penetrating what with five fingers to tear out bones?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Matsumura defeat the engraver?
2. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
3. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
4. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
5. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
6. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
7. How did Gichin practice the spirit of karate when thieves visited his home?
8. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
9. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
10. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Karate-Do. What was the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How did these settings reflect modern settings or culture? Do you think the setting influenced the development of karate or vice-versa?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in Karate-Do took on very different forms. For example, Gichin's wife and his mother appeared quite traditional, yet the women in Gichin's class were not. Compare these differing roles of women.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Gichin's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)