|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Gichin planning to use the items stolen from his house for?
2. Who said that karate was one of the most refined martial arts in Tokyo?
3. Gichin received a promotion to principal of an outlying school but chose to do what?
4. Karate became a part of what education in schools and colleges in Japan?
5. Why did Gichin violate the spirit of karate-do after his hand wrestling bouts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a tegumi bout as mentioned by Gichin.
2. What was the true meaning of karate?
3. How did karate spread in Japan?
4. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
5. Describe tegumi as mentioned by Gichin.
6. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
7. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
8. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
9. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
10. What did Gichin learn from his students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sueyoshi. What was his role in Karate-Do? What was Gichin trying to accomplish by describing Sueyoshi?
Essay Topic 2
Karate-Do was particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's individuals and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. The author used imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Gichin and Azato were two of the most active individuals in the book in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in the spread of karate through Okinawa and modern Japan.
Part 1) What was their relationship? How did they co-exist and how did they interact? What was similar about them and what was different?
Part 2) What were some events that Gichin had a direct influence upon? What were some events that Azato had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which individual offered support to the group? Which one was stronger and why?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)