|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gichin believed what event influenced his life?
2. Where in Okinawa was Gichin born?
3. What did thieves try to steal from Gichin?
4. What were karate experts known for apparently according to the public?
5. Why did Gichin violate the spirit of karate-do after his hand wrestling bouts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
2. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
3. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
4. How did Matsumura defeat the engraver?
5. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
6. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
7. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
8. How was Gichin described as a child?
9. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
10. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin and Azato were two of the most active individuals in the book in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in the spread of karate through Okinawa and modern Japan.
Part 1) What was their relationship? How did they co-exist and how did they interact? What was similar about them and what was different?
Part 2) What were some events that Gichin had a direct influence upon? What were some events that Azato had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which individual offered support to the group? Which one was stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Knowledge was an important concept in the book. Who had knowledge and in what way? Who lost or gained knowledge? Was Gichin's desire for knowledge the same as that of Azato? What about the members of the Meiji government? In what ways were these individuals similar in their pursuit of knowledge or influence?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sueyoshi. What was his role in Karate-Do? What was Gichin trying to accomplish by describing Sueyoshi?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)