Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was one of Gichin's trainers?
2. At what age did Gichin become a teacher?
3. In Karate-do, a man could win by doing what?
4. Why did the policemen arrest Gichin?
5. Okinawa had a poisonous snake named what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
2. How was Gichin described as a child?
3. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
4. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
5. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
6. How did karate spread in Japan?
7. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
8. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
9. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
10. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
What was the importance of avoiding conflict according to Gichin? How did Gichin illustrate this in the example with the thieves entering his house? Did he respond in a similar way to Isotu? Were there any differences?
Freedom was a recurring theme in Karate-Do. Who was free? Who lacked freedom? What constricted freedom? How did Gichin gain or lose freedom? Which authorities controlled access to freedom and in what ways? Did Gichin need a purpose in life to be free?
Gichin emphasized the importance of training in karate. What was an example of a kata described by Gichin? How long did it take to master a kata? What was necessary for mastery? Who could do it?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)