|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gichin practice with Azato secretly?
2. What kind of eyes did Matsumura have?
3. Who were classified in four teaching groups as elementary classes, higher grades, special courses and assistants?
4. Okinawa had a poisonous snake named what?
5. As Gichin was walking past the top of what forest, did a man rush past him into a field of sugarcane?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did karate spread in Japan?
2. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
3. How was Gichin described in the first section of the book?
4. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
5. Describe the origins of karate.
6. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
7. What was the goal of karate?
8. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
9. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
10. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power in society was a prevailing theme of Karate-Do. Gichin frequently referred to this theme, painting the picture of the monarchy and the change in government. Which individuals appeared honest and which appeared corrupt? Which individuals appeared to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Gichin described?
Essay Topic 2
Karate-Do was particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's individuals and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. The author used imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Gichin emphasized the importance of training in karate. What was an example of a kata described by Gichin? How long did it take to master a kata? What was necessary for mastery? Who could do it?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)