|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was one of Gichin's trainers?
2. At what age did Gichin become a teacher?
3. In Karate-do, a man could win by doing what?
4. Why did the policemen arrest Gichin?
5. Okinawa had a poisonous snake named what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
2. How was Gichin described as a child?
3. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
4. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
5. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
6. How did karate spread in Japan?
7. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
8. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
9. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
10. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
Essay Topic 1
Gichin employed simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex concepts. Both styles employed powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
What was the importance of avoiding conflict according to Gichin? How did Gichin illustrate this in the example with the thieves entering his house? Did he respond in a similar way to Isotu? Were there any differences?
Essay Topic 3
Violence appeared throughout Karate-Do. Who was violent? In what ways were individuals violent or abusive? What was their effect on other individuals and their lives? Did these individuals change over time?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)