|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were warrior's hands called?
2. What did boxing evolve into in China?
3. What did Gichin cut off that made his father angry?
4. Who were two admirals that supported martial arts in 1921?
5. This book covers the period of the life of the author from 1868 to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
2. Describe what Gichin learned about hand wrestling and karate-do.
3. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
4. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
5. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
6. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
7. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
8. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
9. How was Gichin described in the first section of the book?
10. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sueyoshi. What was his role in Karate-Do? What was Gichin trying to accomplish by describing Sueyoshi?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in Karate-Do took on very different forms. For example, Gichin's wife and his mother appeared quite traditional, yet the women in Gichin's class were not. Compare these differing roles of women.
Essay Topic 3
Gichin emphasized the importance of training in karate. What was an example of a kata described by Gichin? How long did it take to master a kata? What was necessary for mastery? Who could do it?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)