|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what social class was Gichin?
2. Azato met the famous Okinawan swordsman called what?
3. The people of what area trade with southern China where boxing was practiced?
4. When Gichin participated in hand wrestling, how many bouts did he enter?
5. Why was Matsumura pale and dejected when he entered the engraver's shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
2. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
3. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
4. Describe the origins of karate.
5. How did Gichin move up in his teaching practice?
6. How did Itosu teach his students the meaning of karate?
7. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
8. How were Gichin's karate teachers described in the first section of the book?
9. What was the goal of karate?
10. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin discussed both patriotism and war vividly in Karate-Do. Find some examples of each and discuss the effect of these topics on Gichin.
Essay Topic 2
Gichin employed simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex concepts. Both styles employed powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one instance of irony in Karate-Do. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they were examples of irony.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)