|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The goal of karate and all the martial arts was what?
2. Who praised Gichin for understanding the true spirit of karate?
3. How old was Gichin when he died?
4. Whose house did Gichin and his son go for karate practice?
5. Itosu showed the meaning of karate by avoiding what with the untrained men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
2. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
3. How did Matsumura defeat the engraver?
4. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
5. How did karate spread in Japan?
6. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
7. How did Gichin move up in his teaching practice?
8. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
9. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
10. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness in Karate-Do. Which of the individuals were lonely? Were they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one instance of irony in Karate-Do. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they were examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Gichin and Azato were two of the most active individuals in the book in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in the spread of karate through Okinawa and modern Japan.
Part 1) What was their relationship? How did they co-exist and how did they interact? What was similar about them and what was different?
Part 2) What were some events that Gichin had a direct influence upon? What were some events that Azato had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which individual offered support to the group? Which one was stronger and why?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)