|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
2. Gichin's school was visited by who?
3. When Gichin participated in hand wrestling, how many bouts did he enter?
4. What did thieves try to steal from Gichin?
5. Whose house did Gichin and his son go for karate practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gichin practice the spirit of karate when thieves visited his home?
2. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
3. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
4. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
5. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
6. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
7. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
8. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
9. What was the goal of karate?
10. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Knowledge was an important concept in the book. Who had knowledge and in what way? Who lost or gained knowledge? Was Gichin's desire for knowledge the same as that of Azato? What about the members of the Meiji government? In what ways were these individuals similar in their pursuit of knowledge or influence?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Gichin's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
What was the importance of avoiding conflict according to Gichin? How did Gichin illustrate this in the example with the thieves entering his house? Did he respond in a similar way to Isotu? Were there any differences?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)