|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What party opposed the topknot rule?
2. Matsumura entered a shop of an engraver located where?
3. What did Matsumura learn was the only obstacle to life?
4. Who was one of Gichin's trainers?
5. Why did Gichin violate the spirit of karate-do after his hand wrestling bouts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gichin move up in his teaching practice?
2. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
3. How did karate spread in Japan?
4. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
5. How did Matsumura defeat the engraver?
6. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
7. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
8. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
9. What was the goal of karate?
10. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin's wife practiced Buddhism in a traditional way. How was her practice of religion different from that of Gichin? What traditions did Gichin's wife follow? Did they seem rigid to you?
Essay Topic 2
How does karate relate to Buddhist philosophy as described by Gichin? Do you find this comparison accurate? Which followers of Buddhist philosophy mentioned in the book were significant in terms of karate?
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one instance of irony in Karate-Do. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they were examples of irony.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)