|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Gichin was walking past the top of what forest, did a man rush past him into a field of sugarcane?
2. What did boxing evolve into in China?
3. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
4. Gichin believed what event influenced his life?
5. Who did Gichin meet in school that was the son of a famous karate expert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
2. How did karate spread in Japan?
3. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
4. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
5. How did Gichin move up in his teaching practice?
6. How was Gichin described in the first section of the book?
7. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
8. How did Matsumura defeat the engraver?
9. How did Gichin practice the spirit of karate when thieves visited his home?
10. Describe what Gichin learned about hand wrestling and karate-do.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Gichin's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
What was the importance of avoiding conflict according to Gichin? How did Gichin illustrate this in the example with the thieves entering his house? Did he respond in a similar way to Isotu? Were there any differences?
Essay Topic 3
The author mentioned some stereotypes associated with karate. How were stereotypes often based in myth? What aspects of stereotypes seemed real? With karate, many myths abounded in relation to strength and ability. What were they? Were they believable?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)