|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were two admirals that supported martial arts in 1921?
2. What did Gichin practice with Azato secretly?
3. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
4. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
5. A serum was injected into a person as soon as possible after being bitten by Okinawa's poisonous snake to avoid what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
2. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
3. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
4. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
5. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
6. How did karate spread in Japan?
7. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
8. Describe the origins of karate.
9. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
10. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin discussed both patriotism and war vividly in Karate-Do. Find some examples of each and discuss the effect of these topics on Gichin.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in Karate-Do took on very different forms. For example, Gichin's wife and his mother appeared quite traditional, yet the women in Gichin's class were not. Compare these differing roles of women.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Karate-Do. What was the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How did these settings reflect modern settings or culture? Do you think the setting influenced the development of karate or vice-versa?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)