|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Matsumura repel the owner of the engraver shop?
2. What party opposed the topknot rule?
3. Who viewed a demonstration in 1921 in Shuri Castle?
4. What is used in progressive training for nukite?
5. A serum was injected into a person as soon as possible after being bitten by Okinawa's poisonous snake to avoid what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the true meaning of karate?
2. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
3. What were some benefits for women from taking karate according to Gichin?
4. Describe Gichin's concern for his former students as the war with China began.
5. Describe what Gichin learned about hand wrestling and karate-do.
6. Describe some karate motions mentioned by Gichin.
7. How was Gichin described as a child?
8. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
9. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
10. How did Gichin get involved with Americans?
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in Karate-Do took on very different forms. For example, Gichin's wife and his mother appeared quite traditional, yet the women in Gichin's class were not. Compare these differing roles of women.
Essay Topic 2
Knowledge was an important concept in the book. Who had knowledge and in what way? Who lost or gained knowledge? Was Gichin's desire for knowledge the same as that of Azato? What about the members of the Meiji government? In what ways were these individuals similar in their pursuit of knowledge or influence?
Essay Topic 3
The author mentioned some stereotypes associated with karate. How were stereotypes often based in myth? What aspects of stereotypes seemed real? With karate, many myths abounded in relation to strength and ability. What were they? Were they believable?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)