|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a small kingdom with no weapons that Napoleon commented on?
2. When did the Meiji Restoration begin?
3. What did the owner of the engraver shop ask Matsumura for?
4. Who was the Jinriksha driver Gichin met?
5. Who were classified in four teaching groups as elementary classes, higher grades, special courses and assistants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
2. How did Itosu teach his students the meaning of karate?
3. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
4. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
5. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
6. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
7. How did Gichin move up in his teaching practice?
8. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
9. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
10. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin discussed both patriotism and war vividly in Karate-Do. Find some examples of each and discuss the effect of these topics on Gichin.
Essay Topic 2
How did Matsumura illustrate the lesson of vanity? Describe in relation to his reaction to the attack launched by the engraver.
Essay Topic 3
Gichin and Azato were two of the most active individuals in the book in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in the spread of karate through Okinawa and modern Japan.
Part 1) What was their relationship? How did they co-exist and how did they interact? What was similar about them and what was different?
Part 2) What were some events that Gichin had a direct influence upon? What were some events that Azato had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which individual offered support to the group? Which one was stronger and why?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)