|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gichin went with Master Itosu on what kind of viewing party?
2. What was Gichin planning to use the items stolen from his house for?
3. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
4. Who was the only student of Azato?
5. When did the Meiji Restoration begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
2. How was Gichin described in the first section of the book?
3. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
4. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
5. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
6. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
7. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
8. How were Gichin's karate teachers described in the first section of the book?
9. Describe the origins of karate.
10. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sueyoshi. What was his role in Karate-Do? What was Gichin trying to accomplish by describing Sueyoshi?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Gichin's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Karate-Do was particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's individuals and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. The author used imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this book.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)