|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gichin have to learn because of his social class?
2. Karate was linked to what religious tradition?
3. Where did the Meiji Restoration begin?
4. Who did Gichin also train with in addition to Azato?
5. Who said that karate was one of the most refined martial arts in Tokyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
2. Describe what Gichin learned about hand wrestling and karate-do.
3. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
4. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
5. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
6. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
7. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
8. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
9. How was Gichin described as a child?
10. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin employed simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex concepts. Both styles employed powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sueyoshi. What was his role in Karate-Do? What was Gichin trying to accomplish by describing Sueyoshi?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness in Karate-Do. Which of the individuals were lonely? Were they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)