|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is used in progressive training for nukite?
2. As Gichin was walking past the top of what forest, did a man rush past him into a field of sugarcane?
3. Itosu showed the meaning of karate by avoiding what with the untrained men?
4. Where did Gichin die?
5. The goal of karate and all the martial arts was what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the goal of karate?
2. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
3. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
4. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
5. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
6. Describe what Gichin learned about hand wrestling and karate-do.
7. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
8. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
9. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
10. How did Gichin practice the spirit of karate when thieves visited his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gichin emphasized the importance of training in karate. What was an example of a kata described by Gichin? How long did it take to master a kata? What was necessary for mastery? Who could do it?
Essay Topic 2
Gichin's wife practiced Buddhism in a traditional way. How was her practice of religion different from that of Gichin? What traditions did Gichin's wife follow? Did they seem rigid to you?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness in Karate-Do. Which of the individuals were lonely? Were they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)