|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karate was linked to what religious tradition?
2. What did karate forbid doing/having?
3. What martial art's origin was unknown according to Gichin?
4. How did Matsumura repel the owner of the engraver shop?
5. What kind of eyes did Matsumura have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
2. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
3. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
4. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
5. What did Gichin teach his students about karate that kept them from forming illegal gangs?
6. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
7. Why was Gichin ashamed of how he reacted to the thief?
8. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
9. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
10. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does karate relate to Buddhist philosophy as described by Gichin? Do you find this comparison accurate? Which followers of Buddhist philosophy mentioned in the book were significant in terms of karate?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom was a recurring theme in Karate-Do. Who was free? Who lacked freedom? What constricted freedom? How did Gichin gain or lose freedom? Which authorities controlled access to freedom and in what ways? Did Gichin need a purpose in life to be free?
Essay Topic 3
Gichin and Azato were two of the most active individuals in the book in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in the spread of karate through Okinawa and modern Japan.
Part 1) What was their relationship? How did they co-exist and how did they interact? What was similar about them and what was different?
Part 2) What were some events that Gichin had a direct influence upon? What were some events that Azato had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which individual offered support to the group? Which one was stronger and why?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)