|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gichin Funakoshi is a karate master and scholar of what kind of classics?
2. Who did Gichin meet in school that was the son of a famous karate expert?
3. How did Matsumura repel the owner of the engraver shop?
4. Where did Gichin die?
5. What part of the body had to be cut off to join the medical practice in 19th century Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
2. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
3. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
4. How was Gichin described in the first section of the book?
5. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
6. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
7. How was Gichin described as a child?
8. How did karate spread in Japan?
9. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
10. How did Gichin move up in his teaching practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the importance of avoiding conflict according to Gichin? How did Gichin illustrate this in the example with the thieves entering his house? Did he respond in a similar way to Isotu? Were there any differences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sueyoshi. What was his role in Karate-Do? What was Gichin trying to accomplish by describing Sueyoshi?
Essay Topic 3
Power in society was a prevailing theme of Karate-Do. Gichin frequently referred to this theme, painting the picture of the monarchy and the change in government. Which individuals appeared honest and which appeared corrupt? Which individuals appeared to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Gichin described?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)