|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where did Gichin get students?
(a) Military academies.
(b) Cafes and bookstores.
(c) Car repair stores.
(d) Pawn and drug shops.
2. Gichin was on the faculty of a school near what?
3. Who encouraged and warned Gichin of the difficulties of starting a school in Tokyo?
(a) Azato and Itosu.
(b) Gima and Juku.
(c) Rudo and Kano.
(d) Kosugi and Kano.
4. Despite fears of war, where did Japan remain peaceful?
(a) Shuri and Nua.
(b) Okinawa and Kyushu.
(c) Manchuria and Mongolia.
(d) Kyoto and Suri.
5. Who was the Grand Champion that trained with Gichin?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1921, who held a demonstration of ancient Japanese martial arts?
2. Why was Gichin ashamed of himself after confronting the thief?
3. In 1945, Gichin's dojo was destroyed by what?
4. What did the person Gichin met in Tokyo want from him?
5. What was exercised in karate that could improve marital relations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
2. What did mastery of karate-do require according to Gichin?
3. Why did Gichin's wife not live with him?
4. What did Gichin teach his students about karate that kept them from forming illegal gangs?
5. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
6. How did Gichin get started with his new school?
7. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
8. What were some benefits for women from taking karate according to Gichin?
9. How did Gichin approach karate training?
10. Why did Gichin warn against arrogance in training?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)