|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Gichin's sick wife?
2. Where did Gichin's wife live?
3. What was deadly serious where an opponent must always be in one's mind to survive and avoid failure?
4. What was exercised in karate that could improve marital relations?
5. What did children in the garden call Gichin for his smooth, ruddy-skinned complexion?
(a) Snake gourd.
(b) Dancing pole.
(c) Tan man.
(d) Spy man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gichin like to do in the afternoon that he did as a child?
2. Despite fears of war, where did Japan remain peaceful?
3. What were Gichin and his wife in Kyushu?
4. Who when trained in karate might be more obedient?
5. Gichin was moved by His Majesty's memory of a demonstration that he did many years ago at what location?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the earthquake affect Gichin's trade?
2. Why did the children call Gichin "snake gourd?"
3. What was the true meaning of karate?
4. What was the public bathhouse tale told by Seiji?
5. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
6. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
7. What did Gichin teach his students about karate that kept them from forming illegal gangs?
8. Why did Gichin's wife not live with him?
9. How did karate stand out according to Gichin?
10. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)