|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was deadly serious where an opponent must always be in one's mind to survive and avoid failure?
2. Where was Gichin's sick wife?
3. Why was Gichin ashamed of himself after confronting the thief?
(a) Giving up so quickly.
(b) Taking the offensive.
(c) Losing to a thief.
(d) Needing the help of the police.
4. Gichin took his wife's ashes by train to where?
5. Former students of Gichin who were unable to carry a rifle or sword were told to do what to the enemy during the war?
(a) Beat them.
(b) Scalpel them.
(c) Karate charge.
(d) Run away from them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1945, Gichin's dojo was destroyed by what?
2. How many rules were essential to understanding Karate-do?
3. What did children in the garden call Gichin for his smooth, ruddy-skinned complexion?
4. Gichin was asked to introduce karate to what Japanese capital?
5. Who was the naval man that became a student of Gichin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was karate-do a way of life?
2. How did Gichin plan to impress viewers at the demonstration in Tokyo?
3. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
4. Describe Gichin's concern for his former students as the war with China began.
5. Describe the book collaboration that Gichin had with the painter.
6. What did Gichin teach his students about karate that kept them from forming illegal gangs?
7. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
8. Why did the children call Gichin "snake gourd?"
9. How did the earthquake affect Gichin's trade?
10. What were some benefits for women from taking karate according to Gichin?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)