|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What earthquake struck on September 1, 1923?
(a) Grand Kanto.
2. What is the Japanese word for knapsack?
3. What was deadly serious where an opponent must always be in one's mind to survive and avoid failure?
4. What might contribute to the appearance and health of girls and young women?
(a) Tug of war training.
(b) Bosu training.
(c) Karate training.
(d) Jijutsu training.
5. What painter sought instruction for his organization, the Tabata Poplar Club?
(a) Jigoro Kano.
(b) Hoan Kosugi.
(c) Shinkin Gima.
(d) Master Azato.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Gichin's sick wife?
2. What was Gichin's wife sick from?
3. What were Gichin and his wife in Kyushu?
4. The victim of a karate blow often died when?
5. What Judo master asked Gichin to teach him some basic kata?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
2. How did Gichin get started with his new school?
3. Describe Gichin's concern for his former students as the war with China began.
4. What did mastery of karate-do require according to Gichin?
5. What was the true meaning of karate?
6. What were some benefits for women from taking karate according to Gichin?
7. Why did Gichin's wife not live with him?
8. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
9. How did the earthquake affect Gichin's trade?
10. What was the public bathhouse tale told by Seiji?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)