|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did thieves take from Gichin's house?
(b) Karate clothes.
2. Nukite is a kind of what?
3. Why did Gichin sway a lantern to and fro as he is walking on the road with his son?
(a) To scare away the habu.
(b) To scare away vampires.
(c) To scare away priests.
(d) To scare away ghosts.
4. Conflict developed between the coastal village of Motobe and the hamlet of what?
5. Who said that karate was one of the most refined martial arts in Tokyo?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did karate forbid doing/having?
2. What were Okinawa's two schools of kata?
3. Whose house did Gichin and his son go for karate practice?
4. Gichin admired Azato and Itosu for their lack of what about other masters?
5. Why was Matsumura pale and dejected when he entered the engraver's shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did karate spread in Japan?
2. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
3. Describe what Gichin learned about hand wrestling and karate-do.
4. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
5. What was the goal of karate?
6. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
7. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
8. How were Gichin's karate teachers described in the first section of the book?
9. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
10. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)