Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was one of Gichin's trainers?
2. At what age did Gichin become a teacher?
3. In Karate-do, a man could win by doing what?
4. Why did the policemen arrest Gichin?
(a) They thought he is the man from the cesspool.
(b) They wanted his cakes.
(c) They thought he is violent.
(d) They thought he has broken the karate-do law.
5. Okinawa had a poisonous snake named what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Karate was linked to what religious tradition?
2. The goal of karate and all the martial arts was what?
3. How did Matsumura repel the owner of the engraver shop?
4. In what social class was Gichin?
5. The people of what area trade with southern China where boxing was practiced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
2. How was Gichin described as a child?
3. How did Gichin explain that a karate blow can be fatal years later by comparing the body to boards?
4. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
5. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
6. How did karate spread in Japan?
7. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
8. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
9. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
10. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)