|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of eyes did Matsumura have?
2. Gichin went with Master Itosu on what kind of viewing party?
3. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
4. Who did Gichin also train with in addition to Azato?
5. What did karate forbid doing/having?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what social class was Gichin?
2. Gichin Funakoshi is a karate master and scholar of what kind of classics?
3. Why did Gichin practice a martial art with Azato secretly?
4. Within how many years did karate men from Okinawa introduce and teach the art?
5. Why did Gichin sway a lantern to and fro as he is walking on the road with his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did karate spread in Japan?
2. How did Matsumura defeat the engraver?
3. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
4. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
5. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
6. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
7. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
8. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
9. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
10. How was Gichin described in the first section of the book?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)