|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Meiji Restoration begin?
2. Gichin received a promotion to principal of an outlying school but chose to do what?
3. Karate became a part of what education in schools and colleges in Japan?
(a) Life sciences.
(c) Physical education.
(d) Military training.
4. What were karate experts known for apparently according to the public?
(a) Strong grip.
(b) Long hair.
(c) Big egos.
5. Okinawa had a poisonous snake named what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what social class was Gichin?
2. A nukite describes penetrating what with five fingers to tear out bones?
3. How old was the owner of the engraver shop that Matsumura visited?
4. What did Matsumura learn was the only obstacle to life?
5. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gichin name his dojo Shoto?
2. Why was placement of thumb, knuckles, and wrist important in karate?
3. How was Gichin described as a child?
4. How did Gichin approach karate training?
5. How did the makiwara and seiken work together?
6. Why did many women like karate according to Gichin?
7. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
8. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
9. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
10. How were Gichin's karate teachers described in the first section of the book?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)