|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The goal of karate and all the martial arts was what?
2. Azato met the famous Okinawan swordsman called what?
3. What did karate forbid doing/having?
4. Why did Gichin sway a lantern to and fro as he is walking on the road with his son?
(a) To scare away ghosts.
(b) To scare away the habu.
(c) To scare away vampires.
(d) To scare away priests.
5. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
(a) 10-12 feet.
(b) 6-7 feet.
(c) 4-5 feet.
(d) 8-9 feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gichin practice with Azato secretly?
2. Where did the Meiji Restoration begin?
3. Who said that karate was one of the most refined martial arts in Tokyo?
4. Who was the Jinriksha driver Gichin met?
5. As Gichin was walking past the top of what forest, did a man rush past him into a field of sugarcane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
2. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
3. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
4. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
5. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
6. How were Gichin's karate teachers described in the first section of the book?
7. How was Gichin described in the first section of the book?
8. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
9. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
10. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)