|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the body had to be cut off to join the medical practice in 19th century Japan?
2. The goal of karate and all the martial arts was what?
3. Who was old and bedridden that Gichin knew and was related to?
4. This book covers the period of the life of the author from 1868 to what?
5. What did Matsumura want the engraver shop owner to work on for him?
(a) A letter.
(b) A pair of boots.
(c) A gun.
(d) A pipe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Okinawa Association for Spirit of the Martial Arts advance?
2. Itosu showed the meaning of karate by avoiding what with the untrained men?
3. What did Gichin see floating in stinking muck in the sugarcane field?
4. How old was the owner of the engraver shop that Matsumura visited?
5. Why did Gichin sway a lantern to and fro as he is walking on the road with his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gichin get started with his new school?
2. What had Gichin accomplished through his schools and training for the world?
3. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
4. Describe a tegumi bout as mentioned by Gichin.
5. What did Gichin realize about his wife as she died?
6. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
7. Why was the publisher surprised when he saw Gichin?
8. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
9. How did Gichin practice the spirit of karate when thieves visited his home?
10. What was the goal of karate?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)