|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gichin's school was visited by who?
2. After what birthday did Gichin see a hand wrestling bout?
3. Gichin went with Master Itosu on what kind of viewing party?
4. Why did the policemen arrest Gichin?
(a) They wanted his cakes.
(b) They thought he is the man from the cesspool.
(c) They thought he is violent.
(d) They thought he has broken the karate-do law.
5. Who viewed a demonstration in 1921 in Shuri Castle?
(d) Crown prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karate was linked to what religious tradition?
2. Gichin Funakoshi is a karate master and scholar of what kind of classics?
3. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
4. When Gichin participated in hand wrestling, how many bouts did he enter?
5. Who was the Jinriksha driver Gichin met?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
2. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
3. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
4. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
5. Describe the origins of karate.
6. What did Matsumura learn about life after his experience at the engraver shop?
7. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
8. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
9. How did karate spread in Japan?
10. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)