|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Gichin sway a lantern to and fro as he is walking on the road with his son?
(a) To scare away ghosts.
(b) To scare away vampires.
(c) To scare away priests.
(d) To scare away the habu.
2. What did boxing evolve into in China?
(a) Tug of war.
3. Why did the policemen arrest Gichin?
(a) They wanted his cakes.
(b) They thought he has broken the karate-do law.
(c) They thought he is the man from the cesspool.
(d) They thought he is violent.
4. A serum was injected into a person as soon as possible after being bitten by Okinawa's poisonous snake to avoid what?
5. After what birthday did Gichin see a hand wrestling bout?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Gichin when he died?
2. Okinawa had a poisonous snake named what?
3. Gichin's school was visited by who?
4. Gichin admired Azato and Itosu for their lack of what about other masters?
5. What martial art's origin was unknown according to Gichin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Gichin described as a child?
2. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
3. Describe the origins of karate.
4. How did Itosu teach his students the meaning of karate?
5. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
6. How was Gichin described in the first section of the book?
7. How were Gichin's karate teachers described in the first section of the book?
8. How did Matsumura defeat the engraver?
9. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
10. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)