|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On their way back from the viewing party to what city/town did Gichin and Itosu's group find themselves under attack?
2. How old was Gichin when he died?
3. As children, where did most Japanese students train to learn martial arts?
(a) Ballet class.
(c) Training ring.
(d) Tea garden.
4. The goal of karate and all the martial arts was what?
5. Who did Gichin meet in school that was the son of a famous karate expert?
(a) Yasutsune Azato.
(b) Shizoku Yamagachi.
(c) Koshiro Suzuki.
(d) Kata Funakoshi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gichin's school was visited by who?
2. What did Matsumura want the engraver shop owner to work on for him?
3. Whose house did Gichin and his son go for karate practice?
4. In what social class was Gichin?
5. Why did Gichin violate the spirit of karate-do after his hand wrestling bouts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
2. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
3. What was the goal of karate?
4. How did Gichin move up in his teaching practice?
5. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
6. How did karate spread in Japan?
7. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
8. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
9. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
10. How was Gichin described as a child?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)