|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of eyes did Matsumura have?
2. After what birthday did Gichin see a hand wrestling bout?
3. Gichin Funakoshi is a karate master and scholar of what kind of classics?
4. What did Gichin cut off that made his father angry?
5. Gichin received a promotion to principal of an outlying school but chose to do what?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Gichin was walking past the top of what forest, did a man rush past him into a field of sugarcane?
2. Whose house did Gichin and his son go for karate practice?
3. Who said that karate was one of the most refined martial arts in Tokyo?
4. Azato met the famous Okinawan swordsman called what?
5. Gichin went with Master Itosu on what kind of viewing party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Gichin described as a child?
2. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
3. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
4. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
5. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
6. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
7. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
8. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
9. How were Gichin's karate teachers described in the first section of the book?
10. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)