|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the body had to be cut off to join the medical practice in 19th century Japan?
2. What were karate experts known for apparently according to the public?
(a) Strong grip.
(c) Big egos.
(d) Long hair.
3. What did Matsumura learn was the only obstacle to life?
4. The people of what area trade with southern China where boxing was practiced?
5. The island of Okinawa experienced what that regularly devastated it?
(a) Hail storms.
(b) Volcanic eruptions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gichin felt what about hand wrestling?
2. What did the Okinawa Association for Spirit of the Martial Arts advance?
3. Matsumura entered a shop of an engraver located where?
4. What party opposed the topknot rule?
5. In what social class was Gichin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
2. Describe what Gichin learned about hand wrestling and karate-do.
3. How was the son of Azato that Gichin met described in the first section of the book?
4. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
5. How did karate spread in Japan?
6. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
7. What did Matsumura and the engraver want from each other?
8. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
9. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
10. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)