|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that karate was one of the most refined martial arts in Tokyo?
2. Within how many years did karate men from Okinawa introduce and teach the art?
3. Itosu showed the meaning of karate by avoiding what with the untrained men?
4. As children, where did most Japanese students train to learn martial arts?
(a) Tea garden.
(c) Training ring.
(d) Ballet class.
5. What did Gichin cut off that made his father angry?
Short Answer Questions
1. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
2. Who viewed a demonstration in 1921 in Shuri Castle?
3. The goal of karate and all the martial arts was what?
4. What did thieves take from Gichin's house?
5. Why did Gichin practice a martial art with Azato secretly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the young confident man mentioned during the typhoon in Okinawa.
2. How did karate spread in Japan?
3. How did Gichin rescue the man running from the police initially?
4. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
5. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
6. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
7. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
8. How did Gichin practice the spirit of karate when thieves visited his home?
9. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
10. Describe the kata called "nukite" that Gichin mentioned in the first section of the book.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)