|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
2. Gichin went with Master Itosu on what kind of viewing party?
3. Who was the only student of Azato?
4. On their way back from the viewing party to what city/town did Gichin and Itosu's group find themselves under attack?
5. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
(a) 4-5 feet.
(b) 8-9 feet.
(c) 10-12 feet.
(d) 6-7 feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Meiji Restoration begin?
2. This book covers the period of the life of the author from 1868 to what?
3. Why did Gichin practice a martial art with Azato secretly?
4. After what birthday did Gichin see a hand wrestling bout?
5. In what district was Shuri located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gichin admire Sueyoshi?
2. Describe what Gichin learned about hand wrestling and karate-do.
3. What was a myth about karate practitioners?
4. How did Matsumura defeat the engraver?
5. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
6. What was the goal of karate?
7. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
8. What was the meaning of the syllables "te" and "kara" in karate?
9. How did Gichin practice the spirit of karate when thieves visited his home?
10. Describe the habu mentioned in Training for Life.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)