|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Gichin sway a lantern to and fro as he is walking on the road with his son?
(a) To scare away vampires.
(b) To scare away ghosts.
(c) To scare away the habu.
(d) To scare away priests.
2. What did thieves take from Gichin's house?
(a) Karate clothes.
3. A nukite describes penetrating what with five fingers to tear out bones?
(a) Rib cage.
4. How old was the owner of the engraver shop that Matsumura visited?
5. What part of the body had to be cut off to join the medical practice in 19th century Japan?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
2. The people of what area trade with southern China where boxing was practiced?
3. What did Gichin cut off that made his father angry?
4. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
5. Why did Gichin violate the spirit of karate-do after his hand wrestling bouts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did karate spread in Japan?
2. Why was it hard to learn karate initially in 19th century Japan?
3. How did Gichin move up in his teaching practice?
4. Why did Gichin stay in the Okinawa area of Shuri despite his promotion?
5. What was one reason that Gichin skipped medical school?
6. How was Gichin described as a child?
7. Why did Gichin admire Azato and Itosu?
8. How did the habu Gichin encountered understand the spirit of karate?
9. How did Gichin interpret what karate means?
10. What was the premise and history of Karate-do: My Way of Life?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)