|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made kata similar to dance?
2. What did Gichin say that trainees used karate for?
(a) To fight enemies.
(b) To build strength.
(c) To calm the mind.
(d) To see weakness.
3. How did Gichin eat his food in the summer?
4. What did the person Gichin met in Tokyo want from him?
(a) A cigarette.
5. What Judo master asked Gichin to teach him some basic kata?
(a) Shinkin Gima.
(b) Master Azato.
(c) Jigoro Kano.
(d) Meisei Juku.
6. What did children in the garden call Gichin for his smooth, ruddy-skinned complexion?
(a) Spy man.
(b) Dancing pole.
(c) Tan man.
(d) Snake gourd.
7. Gichin was dismayed by popular press notions of what in karate?
(a) Use of equipment.
(c) Superhuman feats of strength.
(d) Northern vertigo.
8. Why was Gichin ashamed of himself after confronting the thief?
(a) Taking the offensive.
(b) Needing the help of the police.
(c) Giving up so quickly.
(d) Losing to a thief.
9. In 1921, who held a demonstration of ancient Japanese martial arts?
(a) Ministry of Trade.
(b) Ministry of International Affairs.
(c) Ministry of Health.
(d) Ministry of Education.
10. Who told the public bathhouse tale that Gichin repeated?
11. What did the painter do for Gichin's book?
(a) Design it.
(b) Pay for it.
(c) Screen it.
(d) Publish it.
12. What offered a karate group of faculty and students that Gichin visited regularly to give instruction?
(a) The university.
(b) The ministry.
(c) The dojo.
(d) The academy.
13. The victim of a karate blow often died when?
(a) 1-2 years later.
(b) 5-10 years later.
(c) 3-5 years later.
(d) 6-7 years later.
14. What did popular wrestlers use that could kill a man instantly?
(a) Tug of war.
(b) Karate chop.
15. What did Gichin show containing photographs of karate stances, kata, and movements?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gichin's book was published in what year?
2. Gichin was on the faculty of a school near what?
3. Who was the Grand Champion that trained with Gichin?
4. What could trainees develop from karate?
5. Where did Gichin's wife live?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)