|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could trainees develop from karate?
(a) Real height.
(b) Real speed.
(c) Real muscles.
(d) Real courage.
2. What were the police afraid would happen with karate students?
(a) They form hoodlum gangs.
(b) They beat the police.
(c) They win by default.
(d) They fight all the time.
3. What did Gichin compare a man's body to?
(a) A pulsing wave.
(b) A temple.
(c) A strong gale.
(d) A stack of boards.
4. Who was the Russian war hero that supported Funakoshi?
(a) Admiral Isamu Takeshita.
(b) Admiral Rokuro Yashiro.
(c) Admiral Gichin Onishiki.
(d) Admiral Azato Meisei.
5. What did Gichin warn against becoming when learning kata?
6. What was deadly serious where an opponent must always be in one's mind to survive and avoid failure?
7. Karate was known in what Islands?
8. Mastery of one kata could take how long?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 5 months.
(d) 10 years.
9. What did the painter do for Gichin's book?
(a) Design it.
(b) Screen it.
(c) Publish it.
(d) Pay for it.
10. Gichin was moved by His Majesty's memory of a demonstration that he did many years ago at what location?
(a) Kyushu Castle.
(b) Funakoshi Castle.
(c) Shuri Castle.
(d) Nua Castle.
11. Where did an earthquake strike on September 1, 1923?
12. What Judo master asked Gichin to teach him some basic kata?
(a) Master Azato.
(b) Meisei Juku.
(c) Shinkin Gima.
(d) Jigoro Kano.
13. Serious Karate-do pupils were _____________ to maintain interest and training over the long term.
(a) Energetic and lively.
(b) Considerate and purposeful.
(c) Feisty and vigorous.
(d) Speedy and critical.
14. What did the person Gichin met in Tokyo want from him?
(d) A cigarette.
15. The victim of a karate blow often died when?
(a) 3-5 years later.
(b) 6-7 years later.
(c) 5-10 years later.
(d) 1-2 years later.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the naval man that became a student of Gichin?
2. Why was Gichin ashamed of himself after confronting the thief?
3. What made kata similar to dance?
4. Where did Gichin live with his oldest son in 1945?
5. Where did Gichin postpone a visit to when Kano wanted a demonstration?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)