|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did an opponent allow a karate student to do?
2. What did Gichin compare a man's body to?
(a) A stack of boards.
(b) A pulsing wave.
(c) A strong gale.
(d) A temple.
3. What did karate training require as a student progressed levels?
(c) An opponent.
4. What is the Japanese word for knapsack?
5. From where did Gichin get students?
(a) Cafes and bookstores.
(b) Car repair stores.
(c) Military academies.
(d) Pawn and drug shops.
6. What offered a karate group of faculty and students that Gichin visited regularly to give instruction?
(a) The dojo.
(b) The ministry.
(c) The academy.
(d) The university.
7. What did karate teach women?
8. Gichin claimed the mastery of Karate-do required being what?
(a) A desire for new experiences and people.
(b) A willingness to give in to higher power.
(c) A good and honest member of society.
(d) A strong heart and willpower.
9. What Judo master asked Gichin to teach him some basic kata?
(a) Jigoro Kano.
(b) Meisei Juku.
(c) Master Azato.
(d) Shinkin Gima.
10. In 1945, Gichin's dojo was destroyed by what?
(c) Air raid.
11. Who told the public bathhouse tale that Gichin repeated?
12. How did Gichin eat his food in the summer?
13. How many weapons did Gichin identify from the wrist down?
14. Who was the Grand Champion that trained with Gichin?
15. What was the Okinawan dormitory that Gichin stayed at?
(a) Kano Rudo.
(b) Meisei Juku.
(c) Shinkin Gima.
(d) Jigoro Kano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gichin say that trainees used karate for?
2. How old was Gichin when he performed for the crown prince?
3. Who encouraged Gichin to write a reference book on Karate-do?
4. What painter sought instruction for his organization, the Tabata Poplar Club?
5. What made kata similar to dance?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)