|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gichin like to do despite offers of assistance?
2. What did the painter do for Gichin's book?
(a) Publish it.
(b) Screen it.
(c) Design it.
(d) Pay for it.
3. Despite fears of war, where did Japan remain peaceful?
(a) Shuri and Nua.
(b) Manchuria and Mongolia.
(c) Kyoto and Suri.
(d) Okinawa and Kyushu.
4. What did Gichin like to do in the afternoon that he did as a child?
5. In 1921, who held a demonstration of ancient Japanese martial arts?
(a) Ministry of Trade.
(b) Ministry of International Affairs.
(c) Ministry of Education.
(d) Ministry of Health.
6. What did Gichin compare a man's body to?
(a) A temple.
(b) A strong gale.
(c) A pulsing wave.
(d) A stack of boards.
7. What was Gichin's favorite food?
8. What was deadly serious where an opponent must always be in one's mind to survive and avoid failure?
9. What did an opponent allow a karate student to do?
10. Who encouraged and warned Gichin of the difficulties of starting a school in Tokyo?
(a) Rudo and Kano.
(b) Azato and Itosu.
(c) Kosugi and Kano.
(d) Gima and Juku.
11. How many rules were essential to understanding Karate-do?
12. From where did Gichin get students?
(a) Car repair stores.
(b) Military academies.
(c) Cafes and bookstores.
(d) Pawn and drug shops.
13. Who was the Russian war hero that supported Funakoshi?
(a) Admiral Isamu Takeshita.
(b) Admiral Rokuro Yashiro.
(c) Admiral Gichin Onishiki.
(d) Admiral Azato Meisei.
14. What made kata similar to dance?
15. What was the Okinawan dormitory that Gichin stayed at?
(a) Meisei Juku.
(b) Jigoro Kano.
(c) Kano Rudo.
(d) Shinkin Gima.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gichin took his wife's ashes by train to where?
2. The victim of a karate blow often died when?
3. What new role had the crown prince taken on as the war commenced?
4. Who when trained in karate might be more obedient?
5. What were Gichin and his wife in Kyushu?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)