|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The victim of a karate blow often died when?
(a) 1-2 years later.
(b) 5-10 years later.
(c) 3-5 years later.
(d) 6-7 years later.
2. What is the Japanese word for knapsack?
3. Who was the Grand Champion that trained with Gichin?
4. Gichin took his wife's ashes by train to where?
5. How many weapons did Gichin identify from the wrist down?
6. What did Gichin compare a man's body to?
(a) A temple.
(b) A pulsing wave.
(c) A stack of boards.
(d) A strong gale.
7. Karate was known in what Islands?
8. How old was Gichin when he performed for the crown prince?
(a) Over 50.
(b) Over 70.
(c) Under 40.
(d) Under 30.
9. Despite fears of war, where did Japan remain peaceful?
(a) Manchuria and Mongolia.
(b) Kyoto and Suri.
(c) Shuri and Nua.
(d) Okinawa and Kyushu.
10. Where did Gichin live with his oldest son in 1945?
11. Serious Karate-do pupils were _____________ to maintain interest and training over the long term.
(a) Considerate and purposeful.
(b) Energetic and lively.
(c) Speedy and critical.
(d) Feisty and vigorous.
12. Gichin's book was published in what year?
13. Gichin was dismayed by popular press notions of what in karate?
(a) Superhuman feats of strength.
(b) Northern vertigo.
(c) Use of equipment.
14. What did Gichin sleep on?
(a) A floating waterbed.
(b) A thin mat with a quilt.
(c) A long table.
(d) A big bed and box spring.
15. What were the police afraid would happen with karate students?
(a) They win by default.
(b) They fight all the time.
(c) They form hoodlum gangs.
(d) They beat the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Okinawan dormitory that Gichin stayed at?
2. How many bowls of soup did Gichin have a day?
3. What earthquake struck on September 1, 1923?
4. Who was the Russian war hero that supported Funakoshi?
5. What new role had the crown prince taken on as the war commenced?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)