|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Gichin and his wife in Kyushu?
2. Gichin urged karate students to train with the eyes of what?
3. What did the person Gichin met in Tokyo want from him?
(d) A cigarette.
4. Who when trained in karate might be more obedient?
5. Where did Gichin postpone a visit to when Kano wanted a demonstration?
6. What were the police afraid would happen with karate students?
(a) They win by default.
(b) They form hoodlum gangs.
(c) They beat the police.
(d) They fight all the time.
7. Where did Gichin's wife live?
8. Who was a first-rate karateka?
(a) Master Azato.
(b) Shinkin Gima.
(c) Gichin Funakoshi.
(d) Meisei Juku.
9. In 1921, who held a demonstration of ancient Japanese martial arts?
(a) Ministry of Trade.
(b) Ministry of International Affairs.
(c) Ministry of Health.
(d) Ministry of Education.
10. Gichin took his wife's ashes by train to where?
11. What did children in the garden call Gichin for his smooth, ruddy-skinned complexion?
(a) Spy man.
(b) Dancing pole.
(c) Tan man.
(d) Snake gourd.
12. Gichin claimed the mastery of Karate-do required being what?
(a) A good and honest member of society.
(b) A desire for new experiences and people.
(c) A willingness to give in to higher power.
(d) A strong heart and willpower.
13. Gichin was moved by His Majesty's memory of a demonstration that he did many years ago at what location?
(a) Kyushu Castle.
(b) Funakoshi Castle.
(c) Shuri Castle.
(d) Nua Castle.
14. What did popular wrestlers use that could kill a man instantly?
(b) Karate chop.
(d) Tug of war.
15. Why was Gichin ashamed of himself after confronting the thief?
(a) Losing to a thief.
(b) Needing the help of the police.
(c) Giving up so quickly.
(d) Taking the offensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gichin urged students to practice what in public and private daily life?
2. What new role had the crown prince taken on as the war commenced?
3. In 1945, Gichin's dojo was destroyed by what?
4. How many weapons did Gichin identify from the wrist down?
5. Who began to join the karate dojo when Gichin was 80?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)