|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gichin urged karate students to train with the eyes of what?
2. How old was Gichin when he performed for the crown prince?
(a) Over 50.
(b) Under 30.
(c) Over 70.
(d) Under 40.
3. What did karate training require as a student progressed levels?
(b) An opponent.
4. What religion did Gichin's wife follow?
(a) A Priestess.
(b) A Buddhist.
(c) A Writer.
(d) A Singer.
5. What might contribute to the appearance and health of girls and young women?
(a) Bosu training.
(b) Jijutsu training.
(c) Tug of war training.
(d) Karate training.
6. What was deadly serious where an opponent must always be in one's mind to survive and avoid failure?
7. What is the Japanese word for knapsack?
8. What did the person Gichin met in Tokyo want from him?
(c) A cigarette.
9. Gichin was moved by His Majesty's memory of a demonstration that he did many years ago at what location?
(a) Shuri Castle.
(b) Nua Castle.
(c) Kyushu Castle.
(d) Funakoshi Castle.
10. What did Gichin say that trainees used karate for?
(a) To calm the mind.
(b) To build strength.
(c) To fight enemies.
(d) To see weakness.
11. Serious Karate-do pupils were _____________ to maintain interest and training over the long term.
(a) Considerate and purposeful.
(b) Feisty and vigorous.
(c) Energetic and lively.
(d) Speedy and critical.
12. What was the Okinawan dormitory that Gichin stayed at?
(a) Kano Rudo.
(b) Meisei Juku.
(c) Shinkin Gima.
(d) Jigoro Kano.
13. Karate was known in what Islands?
14. What was Gichin's wife sick from?
(a) Gall bladder.
(b) Chronic asthma.
(c) Heart disease.
(d) Stomach infection.
15. On the way to the last train to Tokyo after a party, who did Gichin encounter?
(a) A woman in red.
(b) A child in blue.
(c) A ghost in white.
(d) A man in black.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gichin's book was published in what year?
2. How many rules were essential to understanding Karate-do?
3. Who encouraged and warned Gichin of the difficulties of starting a school in Tokyo?
4. Who was the Grand Champion that trained with Gichin?
5. What did Gichin warn against becoming when learning kata?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)