|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did thieves take from Gichin's house?
(b) Karate clothes.
2. How old was Gichin when he died?
3. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
4. Where did the Meiji Restoration begin?
5. What did the owner of the engraver shop ask Matsumura for?
(a) A match.
(b) A lighter.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A gun.
6. This book covers the period of the life of the author from 1868 to what?
7. The island of Okinawa experienced what that regularly devastated it?
(c) Hail storms.
(d) Volcanic eruptions.
8. Gichin Funakoshi is a karate master and scholar of what kind of classics?
9. Nukite is a kind of what?
10. What part of the body had to be cut off to join the medical practice in 19th century Japan?
11. Gichin received a promotion to principal of an outlying school but chose to do what?
12. As Gichin was walking past the top of what forest, did a man rush past him into a field of sugarcane?
13. Karate was linked to what religious tradition?
14. Okinawa had a poisonous snake named what?
15. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
(a) 4-5 feet.
(b) 6-7 feet.
(c) 10-12 feet.
(d) 8-9 feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gichin felt what about hand wrestling?
2. The people of what area trade with southern China where boxing was practiced?
3. What did Gichin see floating in stinking muck in the sugarcane field?
4. Who was one of Gichin's trainers?
5. What did karate forbid doing/having?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)