|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Meiji Restoration begin?
2. Wutang was named after what mountains?
3. What did Gichin see floating in stinking muck in the sugarcane field?
(a) A cat.
(b) A book.
(c) A flower.
(d) A head.
4. When Gichin participated in hand wrestling, how many bouts did he enter?
5. What did Gichin practice with Azato secretly?
(d) Kung fu.
6. What is used in progressive training for nukite?
(a) Full casks of beans, sand, pebbles, and finally stone pellets.
(b) Full casks of tea, sand, granite, and finally lead pellets.
(c) Full casks of tea, sand, granite, and finally water pellets.
(d) Full casks of beans, sand, pebbles and finally lead pellets.
7. What did the owner of the engraver shop ask Matsumura for?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A lighter.
(c) A gun.
(d) A match.
8. What were Okinawa's two schools of kata?
(a) Wutang and Shiri.
(b) Nawate and Shurite.
(c) Meiji and Azutu.
(d) Gichin and Azato.
9. Who said that karate was one of the most refined martial arts in Tokyo?
10. In what district was Shuri located?
11. Why was Matsumura pale and dejected when he entered the engraver's shop?
(a) His dog died.
(b) He lost a client.
(c) He is feeling sick.
(d) He lost a lover.
12. Gichin's school was visited by who?
13. Who viewed a demonstration in 1921 in Shuri Castle?
(b) Crown prince.
14. How old was Gichin when he died?
15. Azato met the famous Okinawan swordsman called what?
Short Answer Questions
1. On their way back from the viewing party to what city/town did Gichin and Itosu's group find themselves under attack?
2. The goal of karate and all the martial arts was what?
3. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
4. Karate became a part of what education in schools and colleges in Japan?
5. What did karate forbid doing/having?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)