|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the owner of the engraver shop that Matsumura visited?
2. Itosu showed the meaning of karate by avoiding what with the untrained men?
3. What kind of eyes did Matsumura have?
4. Gichin's school was visited by who?
5. Who did Gichin meet in school that was the son of a famous karate expert?
(a) Koshiro Suzuki.
(b) Yasutsune Azato.
(c) Kata Funakoshi.
(d) Shizoku Yamagachi.
6. A nukite describes penetrating what with five fingers to tear out bones?
(b) Rib cage.
7. What did Matsumura want the engraver shop owner to work on for him?
(a) A pair of boots.
(b) A letter.
(c) A gun.
(d) A pipe.
8. What party opposed the topknot rule?
(a) Obstinate Party.
(b) Meiji Party.
(c) Toono Party.
(d) Matsumura Party.
9. What was a small kingdom with no weapons that Napoleon commented on?
(a) China Islands.
(b) Hawaii Islands.
(c) Ryukyu Islands.
(d) Kata Islands.
10. As children, where did most Japanese students train to learn martial arts?
(a) Training ring.
(c) Ballet class.
(d) Tea garden.
11. What were karate experts known for apparently according to the public?
(a) Long hair.
(c) Big egos.
(d) Strong grip.
12. What did thieves try to steal from Gichin?
(a) Tea and food.
(b) Karate clothes.
(d) Money and tobacco.
13. What did Gichin cut off that made his father angry?
14. What martial art's origin was unknown according to Gichin?
(c) Tug of war.
15. What did karate forbid doing/having?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Okinawa Association for Spirit of the Martial Arts advance?
2. This book covers the period of the life of the author from 1868 to what?
3. Karate was linked to what religious tradition?
4. Gichin Funakoshi is a karate master and scholar of what kind of classics?
5. Why did Gichin violate the spirit of karate-do after his hand wrestling bouts?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)