|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the owner of the engraver shop that Matsumura visited?
2. In Karate-do, a man could win by doing what?
3. Why did Gichin practice a martial art with Azato secretly?
(a) Because it was fun.
(b) Because he was underage.
(c) Because it was illegal.
(d) Because he was a prisoner.
4. Where did the Meiji Restoration begin?
5. Who was the Jinriksha driver Gichin met?
6. What were Okinawa's two schools of kata?
(a) Nawate and Shurite.
(b) Wutang and Shiri.
(c) Gichin and Azato.
(d) Meiji and Azutu.
7. What did Gichin practice with Azato secretly?
(b) Kung fu.
8. Karate was linked to what religious tradition?
9. As Gichin was walking past the top of what forest, did a man rush past him into a field of sugarcane?
10. Gichin Funakoshi is a karate master and scholar of what kind of classics?
11. Where did Gichin die?
12. What did Matsumura want the engraver shop owner to work on for him?
(a) A gun.
(b) A letter.
(c) A pair of boots.
(d) A pipe.
13. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
14. Who did Gichin meet in school that was the son of a famous karate expert?
(a) Kata Funakoshi.
(b) Shizoku Yamagachi.
(c) Koshiro Suzuki.
(d) Yasutsune Azato.
15. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
(a) 6-7 feet.
(b) 10-12 feet.
(c) 4-5 feet.
(d) 8-9 feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the body had to be cut off to join the medical practice in 19th century Japan?
2. Why was Matsumura pale and dejected when he entered the engraver's shop?
3. At Gichin's school, the commissioner watched what kind of demonstration?
4. What did thieves take from Gichin's house?
5. Whose house did Gichin and his son go for karate practice?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)