|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were karate experts known for apparently according to the public?
(a) Strong grip.
(b) Long hair.
(d) Big egos.
2. A nukite describes penetrating what with five fingers to tear out bones?
(a) Rib cage.
3. How old was Gichin when he died?
4. What was Gichin planning to use the items stolen from his house for?
(a) As a pet.
(b) To buy clothes.
(c) An offering.
(d) To fight in.
5. In Karate-do, a man could win by doing what?
6. Why did Gichin practice a martial art with Azato secretly?
(a) Because it was illegal.
(b) Because he was a prisoner.
(c) Because he was underage.
(d) Because it was fun.
7. Who were classified in four teaching groups as elementary classes, higher grades, special courses and assistants?
(a) Tertiary school instructors.
(b) Primary school instructors.
(c) Quarterly school instructors.
(d) Secondary school instructors.
8. What martial art's origin was unknown according to Gichin?
(d) Tug of war.
9. What did karate forbid doing/having?
10. What did boxing evolve into in China?
(b) Tug of war.
11. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
12. At Gichin's school, the commissioner watched what kind of demonstration?
(d) Tug of war.
13. What did Matsumura learn was the only obstacle to life?
14. Who were two admirals that supported martial arts in 1921?
(a) Yashiro and Dewa.
(b) Ogawa and Shuri.
(c) Maitri and Ogawa.
(d) Gichin and Maitri.
15. What was a small kingdom with no weapons that Napoleon commented on?
(a) Ryukyu Islands.
(b) Kata Islands.
(c) China Islands.
(d) Hawaii Islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house did Gichin and his son go for karate practice?
2. Conflict developed between the coastal village of Motobe and the hamlet of what?
3. What did Gichin see floating in stinking muck in the sugarcane field?
4. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
5. On their way back from the viewing party to what city/town did Gichin and Itosu's group find themselves under attack?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)