|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Gichin practice a martial art with Azato secretly?
(a) Because it was illegal.
(b) Because he was a prisoner.
(c) Because it was fun.
(d) Because he was underage.
2. Nukite is a kind of what?
3. Karate was linked to what religious tradition?
4. What did karate forbid doing/having?
5. A nukite describes penetrating what with five fingers to tear out bones?
(c) Rib cage.
6. What were Okinawa's two schools of kata?
(a) Wutang and Shiri.
(b) Nawate and Shurite.
(c) Gichin and Azato.
(d) Meiji and Azutu.
7. What were warrior's hands called?
(a) Yoshi te.
(b) Ma te.
(c) La la te.
(d) Bushi no te.
8. What did Matsumura learn was the only obstacle to life?
9. Who started the Okinawa Association for Spirit of the Martial Arts?
10. This book covers the period of the life of the author from 1868 to what?
11. Gichin admired Azato and Itosu for their lack of what about other masters?
12. Who viewed a demonstration in 1921 in Shuri Castle?
(c) Crown prince.
13. Gichin went with Master Itosu on what kind of viewing party?
14. Gichin believed what event influenced his life?
(a) Braid ban.
(b) Nail ban.
(c) Topknot ban.
(d) Mustache ban.
15. In what social class was Gichin?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what district was Shuri located?
2. Who started as an assistant but quickly moved to a higher grade instructor?
3. The goal of karate and all the martial arts was what?
4. Gichin received a promotion to principal of an outlying school but chose to do what?
5. Azato met the famous Okinawan swordsman called what?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)