|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the poisonous snakes in Okinawa grow?
(a) 8-9 feet.
(b) 4-5 feet.
(c) 10-12 feet.
(d) 6-7 feet.
2. How did Matsumura repel the owner of the engraver shop?
(a) With his eye.
(b) With a karate chop.
(c) With a gun.
(d) With a noose.
3. Karate became a part of what education in schools and colleges in Japan?
(b) Military training.
(c) Physical education.
(d) Life sciences.
4. What martial art's origin was unknown according to Gichin?
(a) Tug of war.
5. This book covers the period of the life of the author from 1868 to what?
6. Who was one of Gichin's trainers?
7. The island of Okinawa experienced what that regularly devastated it?
(a) Volcanic eruptions.
(d) Hail storms.
8. Who was the Jinriksha driver Gichin met?
9. At what age did Gichin become a teacher?
10. Who were classified in four teaching groups as elementary classes, higher grades, special courses and assistants?
(a) Tertiary school instructors.
(b) Secondary school instructors.
(c) Primary school instructors.
(d) Quarterly school instructors.
11. What did Gichin cut off that made his father angry?
12. What did Matsumura want the engraver shop owner to work on for him?
(a) A gun.
(b) A pair of boots.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A letter.
13. What part of the body had to be cut off to join the medical practice in 19th century Japan?
14. Who did Gichin meet in school that was the son of a famous karate expert?
(a) Kata Funakoshi.
(b) Yasutsune Azato.
(c) Koshiro Suzuki.
(d) Shizoku Yamagachi.
15. When Gichin participated in hand wrestling, how many bouts did he enter?
Short Answer Questions
1. At Gichin's school, the commissioner watched what kind of demonstration?
2. Whose house did Gichin and his son go for karate practice?
3. Within how many years did karate men from Okinawa introduce and teach the art?
4. Why did Gichin sway a lantern to and fro as he is walking on the road with his son?
5. In what social class was Gichin?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)