|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Karate was linked to what religious tradition?
2. What happened to Gichin after his hand wrestling bouts?
(a) He receives a medal.
(b) Men attack him.
(c) He celebrates.
(d) He cries.
3. Who were two admirals that supported martial arts in 1921?
(a) Ogawa and Shuri.
(b) Gichin and Maitri.
(c) Yashiro and Dewa.
(d) Maitri and Ogawa.
4. Where did Gichin die?
5. Why was Matsumura pale and dejected when he entered the engraver's shop?
(a) His dog died.
(b) He lost a client.
(c) He is feeling sick.
(d) He lost a lover.
6. Nukite is a kind of what?
7. The people of what area trade with southern China where boxing was practiced?
8. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
9. Gichin went with Master Itosu on what kind of viewing party?
10. At what age did Gichin become a teacher?
11. Why did the policemen arrest Gichin?
(a) They thought he is violent.
(b) They thought he is the man from the cesspool.
(c) They thought he has broken the karate-do law.
(d) They wanted his cakes.
12. When did the Meiji Restoration begin?
13. A serum was injected into a person as soon as possible after being bitten by Okinawa's poisonous snake to avoid what?
14. What did Gichin see floating in stinking muck in the sugarcane field?
(a) A flower.
(b) A book.
(c) A cat.
(d) A head.
15. Karate became a part of what education in schools and colleges in Japan?
(b) Military training.
(c) Life sciences.
(d) Physical education.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what social class was Gichin?
2. What were Okinawa's two schools of kata?
3. As Gichin was walking past the top of what forest, did a man rush past him into a field of sugarcane?
4. Who was the Jinriksha driver Gichin met?
5. What did Matsumura want the engraver shop owner to work on for him?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)