|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did boxing evolve into in China?
(d) Tug of war.
2. Karate became a part of what education in schools and colleges in Japan?
(a) Military training.
(c) Life sciences.
(d) Physical education.
3. Karate was linked to what religious tradition?
4. What was a small kingdom with no weapons that Napoleon commented on?
(a) Ryukyu Islands.
(b) Kata Islands.
(c) China Islands.
(d) Hawaii Islands.
5. As children, where did most Japanese students train to learn martial arts?
(a) Training ring.
(c) Ballet class.
(d) Tea garden.
6. How did Matsumura repel the owner of the engraver shop?
(a) With a karate chop.
(b) With a gun.
(c) With a noose.
(d) With his eye.
7. When Gichin participated in hand wrestling, how many bouts did he enter?
8. Who was the Jinriksha driver Gichin met?
9. Who was old and bedridden that Gichin knew and was related to?
10. Itosu showed the meaning of karate by avoiding what with the untrained men?
11. Gichin went with Master Itosu on what kind of viewing party?
12. What happened to Gichin after his hand wrestling bouts?
(a) He celebrates.
(b) He cries.
(c) He receives a medal.
(d) Men attack him.
13. What did Gichin see floating in stinking muck in the sugarcane field?
(a) A head.
(b) A book.
(c) A flower.
(d) A cat.
14. Matsumura entered a shop of an engraver located where?
15. After what birthday did Gichin see a hand wrestling bout?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gichin cut off that made his father angry?
2. Where did Gichin die?
3. Why was Matsumura pale and dejected when he entered the engraver's shop?
4. When in 19th century Japan did an applicant to medical school have to be born to be eligible?
5. Azato met the famous Okinawan swordsman called what?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)