* The author, Gichin Funakoshi was born in 1868 but changed his birth date to 1870 to comply with a regulation.
* The Meiji Restoration began in the same year in Edo, which was now called Tokyo, Japan.
* Applicants to the medical school entrance exam must be born in 1870 or later.
* Ironically, he passed the medical school exam but did not enter the school.
* Another Meiji rule required cutting the traditional topknot hairstyle to begin a medical career.
* The Funakoshi family opposed this topknot ban, and Gichin went along with family pressure.
* He was a sickly child raised by grandparents who "coddled and pampered" him.
* He was in the "shizoku" class which demanded learning Four Chinese Classics and Five Chinese Classics of Confucian tradition.
* While in school he met the son of Yasutsune Azato.
* He was one of Okinawa's greatest karate experts.
* Gichin began to practice karate with him...
This section contains 3,195 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)