|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls William with news that angers him after he returns from war?
2. What project does William's bank sponsor for $30 million?
3. In which department do Florentyna and her partner begin working?
4. What position does Florentyna earn within six months of getting her first job?
5. Who bought six percent of the shares in William's bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Abel's military career. What did he want out of it and what did he get out of it?
2. What is the obvious reason that William is glad to see Abel's success in reopening the Chicago hotel?
3. Discuss the Biblical reference of this book.
4. When does William realize he has known Abel for a very long time? What made him realize it?
5. Why does Abel ask his banker to buy stock in William's newly merged bank?
6. Why does Abel put Henry Osborne in charge of the Kane account?
7. What upsets Abel and provokes him to become a Congressional lobbyist?
8. What does Osborne's defeat for re-election mean to Abel?
9. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
10. Why does Abel ask Melanie Leroy to leave her stockings and garters on when they have sex after Abel returns from war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the sequence of this book. How does the author tell the story of Kane and Abel? Analyze the effectiveness of the author's choice of sequence.
Essay Topic 2
What aspects and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Kane and Abel? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term flashback as it applies to literature. How are flashbacks used in Kane and Abel?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)