|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Florentyna's fake first name?
2. What is the name of Abel's personal banker?
3. Why hasn't William left his house alone for a long time?
4. Who lobbies Congress to take a stance against Russia for its control of various European regions?
5. Who is actually William's competition for his new position in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the obvious reason that William is glad to see Abel's success in reopening the Chicago hotel?
2. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
3. When does William realize he has known Abel for a very long time? What made him realize it?
4. Why does Florentyna reject her father's offer to manage all the hotel gift shops in his chain?
5. What secret is Matthew keeping from his father and why?
6. Why do William and Abel both attend the grand opening of Florentyna's alone, without their families?
7. Who recommends William for the position of chairman at Lester Bank and why?
8. Why does Richard get so angry when he sees his girlfriend charging items on credit?
9. What was Abel's plea and what her his charges in the bribery and corruption case against him?
10. What does Richard worry about telling his father about his new love, Jessie Kovats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss William and Abel as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)