|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What project does William's bank sponsor for $30 million?
2. Who is in a photo with Abel at the grand opening of his burned hotel?
3. Who rushes with Abel to Florentyna's apartment after the father and daughter fight?
4. Which young character is an entrepreneur?
5. Who announces pregnancy in Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard get so angry when he sees his girlfriend charging items on credit?
2. When William grows concerned about Abel buying stock in the bank, he phones him. What does William mean when he tells Abel he has a personal matter to discuss that involves only the two of them? Why does William say that?
3. What is the obvious reason that William is glad to see Abel's success in reopening the Chicago hotel?
4. Why does Abel ask his banker to buy stock in William's newly merged bank?
5. How does Abel feel about the revenge he has had against William? How does it affect his family-life?
6. Discuss the Biblical reference of this book.
7. Explain when and why William and Kate get married.
8. What does Osborne's defeat for re-election mean to Abel?
9. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
10. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William and Abel as main characters of Kane and Abel. What is the definition of main character and how do these men fit it?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)