|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who announces pregnancy in Chapter 36?
2. Which young character is an entrepreneur?
3. Who does Henry Osborne testify for in court?
4. Who is the unreliable source that feeds information to William in Chapter 23?
5. What does Abel name his first child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Abel not surprised to see the media when he returns home from Turkey? Why is the media really waiting at the airport for him?
2. Who recommends William for the position of chairman at Lester Bank and why?
3. What was Abel's plea and what her his charges in the bribery and corruption case against him?
4. When William grows concerned about Abel buying stock in the bank, he phones him. What does William mean when he tells Abel he has a personal matter to discuss that involves only the two of them? Why does William say that?
5. Why does Abel ask Melanie Leroy to leave her stockings and garters on when they have sex after Abel returns from war?
6. Discuss Abel's military career. What did he want out of it and what did he get out of it?
7. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
8. What secret is Matthew keeping from his father and why?
9. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
10. What upsets Abel and provokes him to become a Congressional lobbyist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Define symbolism. Discuss various symbols for maturity in this novel. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)