|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells William of Matthew's illness?
2. What item does Abel wear that allows William to recognize him?
3. How does William feel about the reopening of Abel's burned hotel?
4. In how many states is Abel accused of bribery and corruption of a public official?
5. Who does Abel appoint to the board of directors for his hotel chain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
2. When does William realize he has known Abel for a very long time? What made him realize it?
3. What secret is Matthew keeping from his father and why?
4. Discuss the Biblical reference of this book.
5. Who recommends William for the position of chairman at Lester Bank and why?
6. What does Osborne's defeat for re-election mean to Abel?
7. Why does Florentyna reject her father's offer to manage all the hotel gift shops in his chain?
8. Discuss Abel's military career. What did he want out of it and what did he get out of it?
9. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
10. Explain how Abel "dumped" his airline stock. What resulted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to Kane and Abel.
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how this story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)