|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Abel wear that allows William to recognize him?
2. Who is attempting to take over William's bank?
3. When he decides to become proactive against Abel, to whom does William give a sum of money?
4. In Chapter 23, who befriends William and invites him to dinner to discuss business?
5. How much money does William spend in order to become proactive against Abel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Florentyna manage to get a job on her own merits?
2. Why does Florentyna reject her father's offer to manage all the hotel gift shops in his chain?
3. What does Richard worry about telling his father about his new love, Jessie Kovats?
4. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
5. What does Osborne's defeat for re-election mean to Abel?
6. What was Abel's plea and what her his charges in the bribery and corruption case against him?
7. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
8. Explain how Abel "dumped" his airline stock. What resulted?
9. Why does Abel put Henry Osborne in charge of the Kane account?
10. What is Hodgkin's Disease and who in this book is diagnosed with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of Kane and Abel? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)