|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Florentyna's work partner?
2. Who is attempting to take over William's bank?
3. What is Matthew's illness?
4. What does Abel find when he gets to Florentyna's apartment after the father and daughter fight?
5. Who led the Communist witch hunt in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hodgkin's Disease and who in this book is diagnosed with it?
2. What upsets Abel and provokes him to become a Congressional lobbyist?
3. How does Abel feel about the revenge he has had against William? How does it affect his family-life?
4. What was Abel's plea and what her his charges in the bribery and corruption case against him?
5. When does William realize he has known Abel for a very long time? What made him realize it?
6. Who recommends William for the position of chairman at Lester Bank and why?
7. What is the obvious reason that William is glad to see Abel's success in reopening the Chicago hotel?
8. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
9. When William grows concerned about Abel buying stock in the bank, he phones him. What does William mean when he tells Abel he has a personal matter to discuss that involves only the two of them? Why does William say that?
10. What does Osborne's defeat for re-election mean to Abel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What aspects and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Kane and Abel? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 2
Define symbolism. Discuss various symbols for maturity in this novel. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William and Abel as main characters of Kane and Abel. What is the definition of main character and how do these men fit it?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)