|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street is the New York Florentyna's?
2. How much money does William spend in order to become proactive against Abel?
3. From which university does William's son graduate?
4. Who bought six percent of the shares in William's bank?
5. Where do William and Kate vacation in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. When William grows concerned about Abel buying stock in the bank, he phones him. What does William mean when he tells Abel he has a personal matter to discuss that involves only the two of them? Why does William say that?
2. What is the obvious reason that William is glad to see Abel's success in reopening the Chicago hotel?
3. What does Richard worry about telling his father about his new love, Jessie Kovats?
4. What upsets Abel and provokes him to become a Congressional lobbyist?
5. Why does Richard get so angry when he sees his girlfriend charging items on credit?
6. What does Osborne's defeat for re-election mean to Abel?
7. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
8. Why does Abel ask Melanie Leroy to leave her stockings and garters on when they have sex after Abel returns from war?
9. Why does Abel contribute to John Kennedy's presidential campaign?
10. Why is Abel not surprised to see the media when he returns home from Turkey? Why is the media really waiting at the airport for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term flashback as it applies to literature. How are flashbacks used in Kane and Abel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of Kane and Abel? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Kane and Abel? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)