|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the unreliable source that feeds information to William in Chapter 23?
2. Who rushes with Abel to Florentyna's apartment after the father and daughter fight?
3. How long does Abel confine himself to his penthouse?
4. Who announces pregnancy in Chapter 36?
5. Which bank chairman dies in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What upsets Abel and provokes him to become a Congressional lobbyist?
2. How does Florentyna manage to get a job on her own merits?
3. Why does Abel ask his banker to buy stock in William's newly merged bank?
4. When William grows concerned about Abel buying stock in the bank, he phones him. What does William mean when he tells Abel he has a personal matter to discuss that involves only the two of them? Why does William say that?
5. Why does Abel put Henry Osborne in charge of the Kane account?
6. Why does Florentyna reject her father's offer to manage all the hotel gift shops in his chain?
7. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
8. Explain how Abel "dumped" his airline stock. What resulted?
9. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
10. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Kane and Abel? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the sequence of this book. How does the author tell the story of Kane and Abel? Analyze the effectiveness of the author's choice of sequence.
Essay Topic 3
Define symbolism. Discuss various symbols for maturity in this novel. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)