|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abel find when he gets to Florentyna's apartment after the father and daughter fight?
2. To which chapter in the Bible does Abel refer when William calls to set an appointment with him?
3. Who does Abel ask for a political appointment as Polish Ambassador?
4. Who has Abel investigated after the airline crash?
5. Who does Abel appoint to the board of directors for his hotel chain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Florentyna manage to get a job on her own merits?
2. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
3. Discuss Abel's military career. What did he want out of it and what did he get out of it?
4. When William grows concerned about Abel buying stock in the bank, he phones him. What does William mean when he tells Abel he has a personal matter to discuss that involves only the two of them? Why does William say that?
5. When does William realize he has known Abel for a very long time? What made him realize it?
6. Discuss the Biblical reference of this book.
7. What is the obvious reason that William is glad to see Abel's success in reopening the Chicago hotel?
8. Why do William and Abel both attend the grand opening of Florentyna's alone, without their families?
9. Why is Abel not surprised to see the media when he returns home from Turkey? Why is the media really waiting at the airport for him?
10. Why does Abel contribute to John Kennedy's presidential campaign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist in Kane and Abel. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
Essay Topic 2
What aspects and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Kane and Abel? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)