|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not attend the grand opening of New York Florentyna's with the family?
2. Why hasn't William left his house alone for a long time?
3. Who first explains to Abel the charges against him?
4. On what street is the New York Florentyna's?
5. When does the New York Florentyna's open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hodgkin's Disease and who in this book is diagnosed with it?
2. Why does Florentyna reject her father's offer to manage all the hotel gift shops in his chain?
3. Discuss the Biblical reference of this book.
4. What was Abel's plea and what her his charges in the bribery and corruption case against him?
5. When does William realize he has known Abel for a very long time? What made him realize it?
6. What is the obvious reason that William is glad to see Abel's success in reopening the Chicago hotel?
7. Why does Abel put Henry Osborne in charge of the Kane account?
8. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
9. Who recommends William for the position of chairman at Lester Bank and why?
10. Explain when and why William and Kate get married.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist in Kane and Abel. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of family as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)