|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Florentyna's fake first name?
2. In which store does Florentyna get her first job?
3. Who does Abel appoint to the board of directors for his hotel chain?
4. What project does William's bank sponsor for $30 million?
5. What is Henry Osborne's job in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the obvious reason that William is glad to see Abel's success in reopening the Chicago hotel?
2. Why does Abel ask his banker to buy stock in William's newly merged bank?
3. Why does Abel ask Melanie Leroy to leave her stockings and garters on when they have sex after Abel returns from war?
4. Why does Abel put Henry Osborne in charge of the Kane account?
5. When was a press conference scheduled to announce a bank merger between Lester and Kane and Cabot, and why was it canceled?
6. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
7. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
8. What upsets Abel and provokes him to become a Congressional lobbyist?
9. Why does Richard get so angry when he sees his girlfriend charging items on credit?
10. Discuss the Biblical reference of this book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in Kane and Abel. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)