|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bought six percent of the shares in William's bank?
2. What is Henry Osborne's job in Chapter 25?
3. How do William and Abel greet each other when they meet on the streets of New York?
4. What is Matthew's illness?
5. Who turned 21 in 1953?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
2. Why does Abel ask Melanie Leroy to leave her stockings and garters on when they have sex after Abel returns from war?
3. When was a press conference scheduled to announce a bank merger between Lester and Kane and Cabot, and why was it canceled?
4. Discuss the Biblical reference of this book.
5. Discuss Abel's military career. What did he want out of it and what did he get out of it?
6. Why is Abel not surprised to see the media when he returns home from Turkey? Why is the media really waiting at the airport for him?
7. When William grows concerned about Abel buying stock in the bank, he phones him. What does William mean when he tells Abel he has a personal matter to discuss that involves only the two of them? Why does William say that?
8. Why does Abel contribute to John Kennedy's presidential campaign?
9. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
10. Explain how Abel "dumped" his airline stock. What resulted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with William and Abel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist in Kane and Abel. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)