|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the unreliable source that feeds information to William in Chapter 23?
2. Who tells William of Matthew's illness?
3. Who falls in love with Florentyna?
4. Where is Abel returning from when he is met by tons of media at the airport?
5. How does William feel about the reopening of Abel's burned hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was a press conference scheduled to announce a bank merger between Lester and Kane and Cabot, and why was it canceled?
2. Discuss Abel's military career. What did he want out of it and what did he get out of it?
3. Why is Abel not surprised to see the media when he returns home from Turkey? Why is the media really waiting at the airport for him?
4. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
5. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
6. Why does Abel put Henry Osborne in charge of the Kane account?
7. What does Osborne's defeat for re-election mean to Abel?
8. Discuss the Biblical reference of this book.
9. Why does Florentyna reject her father's offer to manage all the hotel gift shops in his chain?
10. Why does Abel contribute to John Kennedy's presidential campaign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss William and Abel as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Kane and Abel? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)