|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street is the New York Florentyna's?
2. In what year does Abel's burned hotel reopen?
3. What does Abel name his first child?
4. Which floor does Abel omit from his rebuilt burned hotel?
5. Who is interested in selling stock in Lester, Kane and Company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Abel not surprised to see the media when he returns home from Turkey? Why is the media really waiting at the airport for him?
2. Why does Richard get so angry when he sees his girlfriend charging items on credit?
3. Explain when and why William and Kate get married.
4. What is Hodgkin's Disease and who in this book is diagnosed with it?
5. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
6. When William grows concerned about Abel buying stock in the bank, he phones him. What does William mean when he tells Abel he has a personal matter to discuss that involves only the two of them? Why does William say that?
7. When does William realize he has known Abel for a very long time? What made him realize it?
8. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
9. What secret is Matthew keeping from his father and why?
10. Who recommends William for the position of chairman at Lester Bank and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William and Abel as main characters of Kane and Abel. What is the definition of main character and how do these men fit it?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)