|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Abel's burned hotel reopen?
2. What is Florentyna's fake first name?
3. Who does Abel fire after William calls him?
4. From which university does William's son graduate?
5. Who comes in late, drunk most of the time, in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Abel "dumped" his airline stock. What resulted?
2. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
3. Why does Richard get so angry when he sees his girlfriend charging items on credit?
4. Why do William and Abel both attend the grand opening of Florentyna's alone, without their families?
5. Discuss Abel's military career. What did he want out of it and what did he get out of it?
6. When was a press conference scheduled to announce a bank merger between Lester and Kane and Cabot, and why was it canceled?
7. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
8. What does Richard worry about telling his father about his new love, Jessie Kovats?
9. Why does Abel ask Melanie Leroy to leave her stockings and garters on when they have sex after Abel returns from war?
10. How does Abel feel about the revenge he has had against William? How does it affect his family-life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with William and Abel?
Essay Topic 2
Define symbolism. Discuss various symbols for maturity in this novel. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term flashback as it applies to literature. How are flashbacks used in Kane and Abel?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)