|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who led the Communist witch hunt in the United States?
2. What position does Florentyna earn within six months of getting her first job?
3. What does William's son major in at college?
4. What is Matthew's illness?
5. Who does not attend the grand opening of New York Florentyna's with the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abel ask his banker to buy stock in William's newly merged bank?
2. Why do William and Abel both attend the grand opening of Florentyna's alone, without their families?
3. Why does Abel contribute to John Kennedy's presidential campaign?
4. What is the obvious reason that William is glad to see Abel's success in reopening the Chicago hotel?
5. When does William realize he has known Abel for a very long time? What made him realize it?
6. What secret is Matthew keeping from his father and why?
7. Explain how Abel "dumped" his airline stock. What resulted?
8. When was a press conference scheduled to announce a bank merger between Lester and Kane and Cabot, and why was it canceled?
9. Why does Abel put Henry Osborne in charge of the Kane account?
10. Why does Richard get so angry when he sees his girlfriend charging items on credit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast George and Matthew as minor characters in Kane and Abel.
Essay Topic 2
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with William and Abel?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)