|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the unreliable source that feeds information to William in Chapter 23?
2. Who is Florentyna's work partner?
3. What does Abel find when he gets to Florentyna's apartment after the father and daughter fight?
4. Why does William hurry home from the grand opening?
5. Where does Abel relocate his headquarters to when he gets divorced?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was a press conference scheduled to announce a bank merger between Lester and Kane and Cabot, and why was it canceled?
2. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
3. How does Florentyna manage to get a job on her own merits?
4. What does Richard worry about telling his father about his new love, Jessie Kovats?
5. Why does Abel contribute to John Kennedy's presidential campaign?
6. Who recommends William for the position of chairman at Lester Bank and why?
7. Why does Richard get so angry when he sees his girlfriend charging items on credit?
8. When William grows concerned about Abel buying stock in the bank, he phones him. What does William mean when he tells Abel he has a personal matter to discuss that involves only the two of them? Why does William say that?
9. Why does Abel ask Melanie Leroy to leave her stockings and garters on when they have sex after Abel returns from war?
10. Explain how Abel "dumped" his airline stock. What resulted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define symbolism. Discuss various symbols for maturity in this novel. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 3
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with William and Abel?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)