|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the Baron and the boys going to hide from?
2. Who is Anne's best friend?
3. How many suicide letters did the person who jumped leave behind?
4. In what country is Wladek born?
5. Who does Abel assume is his anonymous financial backer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wladek acquire his limp?
2. How does Wladek come to live in the castle?
3. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
4. Explain young William's luggage scheme.
5. Why is Anne growing more anxious in Chapter 10?
6. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
7. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
8. Explain how Wladek finds his way to the Polish Consul.
9. Describe the first time Abel makes note of Henry's dishonesty.
10. How does Wladek acquire his inheritance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term flashback as it applies to literature. How are flashbacks used in Kane and Abel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss William and Abel as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
Essay Topic 3
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)