|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does William meet the love he encounters in Chapter 15?
2. Who is the first person to seduce William?
3. How many acres does the Baron leave to his heir?
4. What is William's favorite subject in school?
5. What is William's birthdate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain young William's luggage scheme.
2. What does Anne receive of the family fortune when Richard dies?
3. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
4. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
5. Describe William Kane's birth.
6. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
7. Why does Abel have sex with Melanie Leroy shortly after inheriting her father's hotel chain?
8. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
9. How does Wladek acquire his inheritance?
10. How does Abel use his first job at a hotel to build wealth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with William and Abel?
Essay Topic 3
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)