|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which school holiday does Wladek learn he is not a natural brother to his siblings?
2. How many acres does the Baron leave to his heir?
3. To whom does the Baron will his kingdom?
4. Where is baby Wladek born?
5. Which "southern lady" rejects Abel's physical advances?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the board vote when considering William and Simmons for the chairman position at the bank.
2. Why does Abel have sex with Melanie Leroy shortly after inheriting her father's hotel chain?
3. How does Anne meet her second husband?
4. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
5. Describe William Kane's birth.
6. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
7. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
8. Describe the first time Abel makes note of Henry's dishonesty.
9. Why is Anne growing more anxious in Chapter 10?
10. How does Wladek acquire his inheritance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary theme of Kane and Abel? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)