|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, from what floor does the character commit suicide by jumping from the window?
2. In which chapter do William and Abel first meet face-to-face for business?
3. What job is Wladek's sister given in the castle?
4. Where does the Baron go to put his affairs in order?
5. Who denies William's request to hire his best friend as his assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Davis Leroy's financial difficulties and how they end.
2. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
3. Why is Abel not surprised to see the media when he returns home from Turkey? Why is the media really waiting at the airport for him?
4. Explain how Wladek finds his way to the Polish Consul.
5. What was Abel's plea and what her his charges in the bribery and corruption case against him?
6. How does William meet Kate?
7. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
8. Why do William and Abel both attend the grand opening of Florentyna's alone, without their families?
9. Discuss the Biblical reference of this book.
10. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in Kane and Abel. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with William and Abel?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)