|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the Baron and the boys going to hide from?
2. How many suicide letters did the person who jumped leave behind?
3. What is baby William's middle name?
4. Which college does William attend?
5. Who beats William out of a promotion in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
2. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
3. When does William kick Henry out of the Kane house?
4. Explain how Wladek finds his way to the Polish Consul.
5. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
6. How does Abel make his way to Chicago from New York?
7. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
8. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
9. Why is Anne growing more anxious in Chapter 10?
10. How does Wladek come to live in the castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define symbolism. Discuss various symbols for maturity in this novel. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with William and Abel?
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in Kane and Abel. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)