|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Wladek's job changed to kitchen duty?
2. What does the Baron say about Wladek's birth defect?
3. How many castles does the Baron leave to his heir?
4. What is the cause of Anne's miscarriage?
5. Who teaches Wladek how to steal from produce vendors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William meet Kate?
2. How does Anne meet her second husband?
3. How does Wladek acquire his limp?
4. How does Wladek acquire his inheritance?
5. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
6. How does Abel make his way to Chicago from New York?
7. How does Abel use his first job at a hotel to build wealth?
8. When does William kick Henry out of the Kane house?
9. How does Wladek come to live in the castle?
10. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to Kane and Abel.
Essay Topic 2
Define symbolism. Discuss various symbols for maturity in this novel. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in Kane and Abel. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)