|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans Wladek's escape from the prisoner of war camp?
2. Who does Abel assume is his anonymous financial backer?
3. What disguise does Wladek have when he ventures to escape?
4. How many castles does the Baron leave to his heir?
5. What is the name of the camp to which Wladek and the other prisoners are taken when they leave the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
2. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
3. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
4. How does Abel make his way to Chicago from New York?
5. Describe William Kane's birth.
6. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
7. What does Anne receive of the family fortune when Richard dies?
8. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
9. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
10. How does Anne meet her second husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What aspects and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Kane and Abel? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William and Abel as main characters of Kane and Abel. What is the definition of main character and how do these men fit it?
Essay Topic 3
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with William and Abel?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)