|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who digs the Baron's grave?
2. What job is Wladek's sister given in the castle?
3. Who plans Wladek's escape from the prisoner of war camp?
4. What is the cause of Anne's miscarriage?
5. Where is baby Wladek born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abel contribute to John Kennedy's presidential campaign?
2. What is ironic about the first time Melanie Leroy sleeps with Abel after he inherits her father's hotel chain?
3. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
4. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
5. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
6. How does Wladek acquire his limp?
7. When does William realize he has known Abel for a very long time? What made him realize it?
8. Who gets Abel's silver bracelet when he dies and what is the significance of passing along the bracelet?
9. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
10. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)