|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the $5 million contract for that Henry Osborne "secured?"
2. At which school holiday does Wladek learn he is not a natural brother to his siblings?
3. Who is Abel's "tutor" regarding intimate relations?
4. What was the hotel arsonist's former occupation?
5. Whose leg gets cut in a fight with a Russian soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
2. Why does Abel have sex with Melanie Leroy shortly after inheriting her father's hotel chain?
3. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
4. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
5. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
6. Discuss the board vote when considering William and Simmons for the chairman position at the bank.
7. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
8. How does Wladek acquire his inheritance?
9. What does Anne receive of the family fortune when Richard dies?
10. How does Abel use his first job at a hotel to build wealth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss William and Abel as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in Kane and Abel. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sequence of this book. How does the author tell the story of Kane and Abel? Analyze the effectiveness of the author's choice of sequence.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)