|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Wladek have at the camp before being promoted to kitchen duty?
2. In Chapter 20, who seduces Abel despite her recent rejection of his affection?
3. How does William meet the love he encounters in Chapter 15?
4. What is William's birthdate?
5. How much money must Abel come up with to keep the hotel chain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anne growing more anxious in Chapter 10?
2. When does William kick Henry out of the Kane house?
3. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
4. How does Wladek come to live in the castle?
5. Discuss Davis Leroy's financial difficulties and how they end.
6. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
7. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
8. How does Wladek acquire his inheritance?
9. Describe William Kane's birth.
10. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define symbolism. Discuss various symbols for maturity in this novel. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in Kane and Abel. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)