Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, from what floor does the character commit suicide by jumping from the window?
2. To whom does the Baron will his kingdom?
3. What was the $5 million contract for that Henry Osborne "secured?"
4. What do Abel and his wife do immediately upon getting married?
5. Where does the Baron go to put his affairs in order?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne meet her second husband?
2. What is Hodgkin's Disease and who in this book is diagnosed with it?
3. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
4. How does Florentyna honor her father after his death?
5. Why is Abel not surprised to see the media when he returns home from Turkey? Why is the media really waiting at the airport for him?
6. Explain young William's luggage scheme.
7. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
8. How does Abel use his first job at a hotel to build wealth?
9. How does Wladek acquire his limp?
10. Discuss Abel's military career. What did he want out of it and what did he get out of it?
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss William and Abel as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)