|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is shot in the back of the head during a raid on the castle?
2. Where does Wladek sleep when he reaches Odessa?
3. Which college does William attend?
4. What is the name of the hotel that burns in Chapter 18?
5. Who finds baby Wladek?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
2. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
3. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
4. How does William meet Kate?
5. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
6. Discuss Davis Leroy's financial difficulties and how they end.
7. How does Abel make his way to Chicago from New York?
8. How does Wladek acquire his inheritance?
9. Describe William Kane's birth.
10. Describe the first time Abel makes note of Henry's dishonesty.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Define the term flashback as it applies to literature. How are flashbacks used in Kane and Abel?
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Kane and Abel? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)