|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of baby Wladek?
2. Who was the arsonist that started the hotel fire?
3. Who is Wladek's favorite sibling?
4. What is baby Wladek's birth defect?
5. Who is the second man to ask Abel to manage his hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abel ask his banker to buy stock in William's newly merged bank?
2. Who gets Abel's silver bracelet when he dies and what is the significance of passing along the bracelet?
3. What does Osborne's defeat for re-election mean to Abel?
4. Why does Abel contribute to John Kennedy's presidential campaign?
5. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
6. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
7. Why does Abel put Henry Osborne in charge of the Kane account?
8. Discuss Abel's military career. What did he want out of it and what did he get out of it?
9. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
10. Explain how Wladek finds his way to the Polish Consul.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the sequence of this book. How does the author tell the story of Kane and Abel? Analyze the effectiveness of the author's choice of sequence.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss William and Abel as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how this story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)