|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans Wladek's escape from the prisoner of war camp?
2. Who is shot in the back of the head during a raid on the castle?
3. Who does Abel blame for the suicide?
4. How does Wladek's mother die?
5. How much money must Abel come up with to keep the hotel chain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne meet her second husband?
2. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
3. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
4. Explain young William's luggage scheme.
5. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
6. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
7. How does Wladek come to live in the castle?
8. What does Anne receive of the family fortune when Richard dies?
9. How does William meet Kate?
10. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary theme of Kane and Abel? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with William and Abel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)