|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Wladek have at the camp before being promoted to kitchen duty?
2. What happens when William's boss is sent to manage the London bank branch?
3. How many miles is the trip from the castle to the prisoner of war camp?
4. How many cottages does the Baron leave to his heir?
5. Who is Anne's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wladek come to live in the castle?
2. How does Anne meet her second husband?
3. Describe William Kane's birth.
4. What does Anne receive of the family fortune when Richard dies?
5. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
6. Why does Abel have sex with Melanie Leroy shortly after inheriting her father's hotel chain?
7. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
8. Discuss the board vote when considering William and Simmons for the chairman position at the bank.
9. Describe the first time Abel makes note of Henry's dishonesty.
10. What is ironic about the first time Melanie Leroy sleeps with Abel after he inherits her father's hotel chain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William and Abel as main characters of Kane and Abel. What is the definition of main character and how do these men fit it?
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term flashback as it applies to literature. How are flashbacks used in Kane and Abel?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)