Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, from what floor does the character commit suicide by jumping from the window?
2. To whom does the Baron will his kingdom?
3. What was the $5 million contract for that Henry Osborne "secured?"
4. What do Abel and his wife do immediately upon getting married?
5. Where does the Baron go to put his affairs in order?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne meet her second husband?
2. What is Hodgkin's Disease and who in this book is diagnosed with it?
3. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
4. How does Florentyna honor her father after his death?
5. Why is Abel not surprised to see the media when he returns home from Turkey? Why is the media really waiting at the airport for him?
6. Explain young William's luggage scheme.
7. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
8. How does Abel use his first job at a hotel to build wealth?
9. How does Wladek acquire his limp?
10. Discuss Abel's military career. What did he want out of it and what did he get out of it?
Essay Topic 1
Define symbolism. Discuss various symbols for maturity in this novel. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of family as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sequence of this book. How does the author tell the story of Kane and Abel? Analyze the effectiveness of the author's choice of sequence.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)