|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does the dying Baron give to Wladek?
2. Who does Abel meet with in Chapter 17 to discuss his options regarding the hotel chain?
3. What is baby William's middle name?
4. Who digs the Baron's grave?
5. Who is Anne's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
2. Explain young William's luggage scheme.
3. What is ironic about the first time Melanie Leroy sleeps with Abel after he inherits her father's hotel chain?
4. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
5. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
6. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
7. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
8. How does William meet Kate?
9. Why does Abel have sex with Melanie Leroy shortly after inheriting her father's hotel chain?
10. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sequence of this book. How does the author tell the story of Kane and Abel? Analyze the effectiveness of the author's choice of sequence.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)