|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles is the trip from the castle to the prisoner of war camp?
2. In Chapter 16, from what floor does the character commit suicide by jumping from the window?
3. How does Wladek's mother die?
4. Who is the second man to ask Abel to manage his hotel?
5. Who dies on the trip from the castle to the prisoner of war camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
2. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
3. How does Anne meet her second husband?
4. Explain how Wladek finds his way to the Polish Consul.
5. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
6. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
7. Describe the first time Abel makes note of Henry's dishonesty.
8. How does Abel use his first job at a hotel to build wealth?
9. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
10. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary theme of Kane and Abel? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast George and Matthew as minor characters in Kane and Abel.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)