|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Wladek's job changed to kitchen duty?
2. What was the hotel arsonist's former occupation?
3. Where is Florentyna buried?
4. What is the first title William holds in the banking industry?
5. Where does Kate move to in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
2. Why does Abel meet with William after Davis Leroy's death?
3. When does William kick Henry out of the Kane house?
4. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
5. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
6. Discuss the board vote when considering William and Simmons for the chairman position at the bank.
7. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
8. How does Wladek acquire his limp?
9. Why is Anne growing more anxious in Chapter 10?
10. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how this story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)