|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wladek's mother die?
2. Who is the first person to seduce William?
3. Who commits suicide in Chapter 16?
4. Where is baby Wladek born?
5. Who does Abel blame for the suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abel have sex with Melanie Leroy shortly after inheriting her father's hotel chain?
2. Describe William Kane's birth.
3. How does William meet Kate?
4. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
5. How does Wladek come to live in the castle?
6. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
7. Explain how Wladek finds his way to the Polish Consul.
8. How does Wladek acquire his inheritance?
9. Discuss the board vote when considering William and Simmons for the chairman position at the bank.
10. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Kane and Abel? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how this story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)