|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, who seduces Abel despite her recent rejection of his affection?
2. How much money does Wladek have when he ventures to escape?
3. What is the name of the camp to which Wladek and the other prisoners are taken when they leave the castle?
4. At which school holiday does Wladek learn he is not a natural brother to his siblings?
5. Who wants to be equal to the "Williams of the world?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Abel's plea and what her his charges in the bribery and corruption case against him?
2. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
3. How does Wladek acquire his limp?
4. What does Anne receive of the family fortune when Richard dies?
5. How does Anne meet her second husband?
6. How does Abel remember Davis Leroy when he rebuilds his Chicago hotel and why?
7. How does Wladek come to live in the castle?
8. How does Florentyna honor her father after his death?
9. What are the three reasons Abel and his daughter visit Europe when she completes high school?
10. Explain how Wladek finds his way to the Polish Consul.
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast George and Matthew as minor characters in Kane and Abel.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)