|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which school holiday does Wladek learn he is not a natural brother to his siblings?
2. Which soldiers were responsible for the rape and subsequent death of Florentyna?
3. Who does Abel blame for the suicide?
4. What is the first title William holds in the banking industry?
5. Where is Florentyna buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
2. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
3. When does William kick Henry out of the Kane house?
4. How does Abel use his first job at a hotel to build wealth?
5. Discuss Davis Leroy's financial difficulties and how they end.
6. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
7. Why does Abel meet with William after Davis Leroy's death?
8. What is ironic about the first time Melanie Leroy sleeps with Abel after he inherits her father's hotel chain?
9. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
10. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 2
What methods and writing techniques does the author use to get readers to empathize with William and Abel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to Kane and Abel.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)