|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Abel meet with in Chapter 17 to discuss his options regarding the hotel chain?
2. How old is William when he travels with his mother and father to Europe?
3. What does William collect in one of his first money making ventures?
4. Where is Florentyna buried?
5. What is Wladek's birthdate?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does William kick Henry out of the Kane house?
2. How does Abel make his way to Chicago from New York?
3. How does Wladek acquire his inheritance?
4. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
5. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
6. What is ironic about the first time Melanie Leroy sleeps with Abel after he inherits her father's hotel chain?
7. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
8. How does Anne meet her second husband?
9. How does William meet Kate?
10. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss William and Abel as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term flashback as it applies to literature. How are flashbacks used in Kane and Abel?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)