|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disguise does Wladek have when he ventures to escape?
2. What was the hotel arsonist's former occupation?
3. Who does Abel assume is his anonymous financial backer?
4. What job is Wladek's sister given in the castle?
5. Who offers Abel a job as assistant manager of his Chicago hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does William kick Henry out of the Kane house?
2. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
3. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
4. Discuss the board vote when considering William and Simmons for the chairman position at the bank.
5. What is ironic about the first time Melanie Leroy sleeps with Abel after he inherits her father's hotel chain?
6. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
7. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
8. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
9. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
10. Describe the first time Abel makes note of Henry's dishonesty.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to Kane and Abel.
Essay Topic 2
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Kane and Abel? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)