|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which college does William attend?
2. Who does Abel marry?
3. What is William's favorite subject in school?
4. What gift does the family receive after Wladek's christening?
5. What is the name of the camp to which Wladek and the other prisoners are taken when they leave the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Wladek finds his way to the Polish Consul.
2. How does Anne meet her second husband?
3. What is ironic about the first time Melanie Leroy sleeps with Abel after he inherits her father's hotel chain?
4. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
5. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
6. Discuss Davis Leroy's financial difficulties and how they end.
7. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
8. Why does Abel meet with William after Davis Leroy's death?
9. Describe William Kane's birth.
10. Discuss William's finances and financial goals set during his junior year in college.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William and Abel as main characters of Kane and Abel. What is the definition of main character and how do these men fit it?
Essay Topic 2
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)