|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cottages does the Baron leave to his heir?
2. Who is shot in the back of the head during a raid on the castle?
3. How much money must Abel come up with to keep the hotel chain?
4. Who finds baby Wladek?
5. What disguise does Wladek have when he ventures to escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
2. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
3. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
4. Why is Anne growing more anxious in Chapter 10?
5. How does Anne meet her second husband?
6. Discuss the board vote when considering William and Simmons for the chairman position at the bank.
7. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
8. Why does Abel meet with William after Davis Leroy's death?
9. How does Wladek come to live in the castle?
10. Discuss Davis Leroy's financial difficulties and how they end.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss William and Abel as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)