|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first title William holds in the banking industry?
2. What is the name of the camp to which Wladek and the other prisoners are taken when they leave the castle?
3. Where is baby William born?
4. In Chapter 20, who seduces Abel despite her recent rejection of his affection?
5. What does the Baron say about Wladek's birth defect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the first time Melanie Leroy sleeps with Abel after he inherits her father's hotel chain?
2. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
3. Why does Abel have sex with Melanie Leroy shortly after inheriting her father's hotel chain?
4. Describe the circumstances of Wladek's birth.
5. How does Abel use his first job at a hotel to build wealth?
6. When does William kick Henry out of the Kane house?
7. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
8. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
9. Describe William Kane's birth.
10. How does Wladek discover he is the Baron's second son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Abel's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 3
Define symbolism. Discuss various symbols for maturity in this novel. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)