|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who faces charges of conspiracy to defraud?
(a) William Kane.
(b) George Kovats.
(c) Henry Osborne.
(d) Thaddeus Cohen.
2. In Chapter 22, what does the president of the United States do to uplift the spirit of Americans?
(a) Fireside chat.
(b) State of the union address on TV.
(c) Signs a treaty.
(d) Whistle stop tour.
3. Who does Abel ask for a political appointment as Polish Ambassador?
4. In which department do Florentyna and her partner begin working?
5. Which bank chairman dies in Chapter 23?
(a) Henry Osborne.
(b) William Kane.
(c) Tony Simmons.
(d) Charles Lester.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why hasn't William left his house alone for a long time?
2. Who was a Chicago alderman?
3. What item does Abel wear that allows William to recognize him?
4. Who rescues a young captain whose troop has been hit by Nazi soldiers?
5. Who is named the chairman of Lester Bank in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry Osborne die and what statement does his death make?
2. What is Hodgkin's Disease and who in this book is diagnosed with it?
3. Why does Florentyna reject her father's offer to manage all the hotel gift shops in his chain?
4. What is the obvious reason that William is glad to see Abel's success in reopening the Chicago hotel?
5. Explain how Abel "dumped" his airline stock. What resulted?
6. Why does Abel ask Melanie Leroy to leave her stockings and garters on when they have sex after Abel returns from war?
7. What upsets Abel and provokes him to become a Congressional lobbyist?
8. Explain when and why William and Kate get married.
9. How does Florentyna manage to get a job on her own merits?
10. What secret is Matthew keeping from his father and why?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)