|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Wladek sleep when he reaches Odessa?
(a) An old train car.
(b) With a helpful family.
(c) Under a bridge.
(d) In an alley.
2. How does William meet the love he encounters in Chapter 15?
(a) She is a client.
(b) In class.
(c) She is his new neighbor.
(d) At a bank social function.
3. Where does Kate move to in Chapter 19?
(a) Long Island.
4. Where is Florentyna buried?
(a) Next to the Baron.
(b) She isn't buried.
(c) Next to Leon.
(d) At her family home.
5. When does Anne miscarry?
(a) When she falls down a flight of stairs.
(b) In her seventh month.
(c) In her sixteenth week.
(d) When she learns of her husband's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Baron's son?
2. What is the name of the waitress Abel starts dating in Chapter 18?
3. At which school holiday does Wladek learn he is not a natural brother to his siblings?
4. How does Wladek's mother die?
5. How many cottages does the Baron leave to his heir?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
2. How does Abel make his way to Chicago from New York?
3. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
4. When is Wladek christened? How is the christening celebrated?
5. How does Wladek acquire his inheritance?
6. Why does Abel meet with William after Davis Leroy's death?
7. Discuss the board vote when considering William and Simmons for the chairman position at the bank.
8. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
9. Describe William Kane's birth.
10. When does William kick Henry out of the Kane house?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)