|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes care of baby Wladek?
(a) A king.
(b) A queen.
2. How much insurance money does Abel receive for the damage to the hotel?
(c) $2 million.
(d) $1.2 million.
3. Why was Wladek's job changed to kitchen duty?
(a) Because he was a model citizen.
(b) Because of his bad leg.
(c) It was random -- just his turn.
(d) As extra punishment for fighting.
4. Who dies on the trip from the castle to the prisoner of war camp?
(a) The carriage driver.
(b) The butler.
(c) The baron.
5. How much money must Abel come up with to keep the hotel chain?
(a) $2 million.
(c) $2 billion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is William when he travels with his mother and father to Europe?
2. Where is Florentyna buried?
3. What was the hotel arsonist's former occupation?
4. Who were the Baron and the boys going to hide from?
5. Who finds baby Wladek?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abel use his first job at a hotel to build wealth?
2. Why is Anne growing more anxious in Chapter 10?
3. How does Anne meet her second husband?
4. How does Wladek come to live in the castle?
5. In addition to his night studies in English, what other tutoring does Abel seek and why?
6. What helps William recover from the devastation of his father's death?
7. Explain how Richard dies and why his wife and child do not also die.
8. What is Wladek's birth defect and how do his foster parents explain it?
9. How does William meet Kate?
10. Explain why Davis Leroy's daughter initially rejects Abel's physical advances. What is her advice to Abel?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)