|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wants to be equal to the "Williams of the world?"
2. What is the name of the Baron's son?
3. Where does Wladek sleep when he reaches Odessa?
(a) With a helpful family.
(b) An old train car.
(c) Under a bridge.
(d) In an alley.
4. Why was Wladek's job changed to kitchen duty?
(a) As extra punishment for fighting.
(b) Because he was a model citizen.
(c) Because of his bad leg.
(d) It was random -- just his turn.
5. How many cottages does the Baron leave to his heir?
6. How much money must Abel come up with to keep the hotel chain?
(a) $2 million.
(b) $2 billion.
7. Where does Kate move to in Chapter 19?
(a) Long Island.
8. What does the Baron say about Wladek's birth defect?
(a) It is the sign of a demon.
(b) It is the mark of God.
(c) It is just a fluke.
(d) It is the mark of his father.
9. What job did Wladek have at the camp before being promoted to kitchen duty?
(a) Digging latrines.
(b) Chopping wood.
(c) Cleaning cabins.
(d) Assisting the Russians.
10. When does Anne miscarry?
(a) When she learns of her husband's death.
(b) In her sixteenth week.
(c) When she falls down a flight of stairs.
(d) In her seventh month.
11. Who takes care of baby Wladek?
(b) A queen.
(c) A king.
12. What is William's birthdate?
(a) March 14, 1886.
(b) April 15, 1886.
(c) April 18, 1906.
(d) March 15, 1906.
13. Who does Abel meet with in Chapter 17 to discuss his options regarding the hotel chain?
14. Who were the Baron and the boys going to hide from?
(a) The bill collectors.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The Russians.
15. How many castles does the Baron leave to his heir?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, who seduces Abel despite her recent rejection of his affection?
2. Which "southern lady" rejects Abel's physical advances?
3. Who discovers baby Wladek's birth defect?
4. What was the $5 million contract for that Henry Osborne "secured?"
5. At which school holiday does Wladek learn he is not a natural brother to his siblings?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)