|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
2. What does Louhi's daughter do when Ilmarinen takes her with him?
3. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
4. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
5. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe three transformations in the Kalevala. How do characters change shape or take different forms? Which characters have this ability? Which do not? How would you characterize this power of transformation? Is it merely a narrative ploy, or were there characters in Finnish culture who were once supposed to have had this power?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Kalevala describe women? What range of roles do women play? What range of roles do men play? Is there ever any overlap or play with roles? Is Louhi ever masculine? Is Vainamoinen ever feminine?
Essay Topic 3
Which parts of these tales are particular to their culture and their times? Which parts of these tales are eternal and apply to every human being? Using examples from the text, describe the culture that created these tales. And describe the timeless human nature that created the other parts of them.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)