|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen get the Sampo from Louhi?
2. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
3. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
4. Whom does Vainamoinen toast at the wedding?
5. How does Vainamoinen keep Louhi and her soldiers from catching up with him and Lemminkainen and Ilmarinen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of animals and monsters in the Kalevala. Are they all of the same class, or are there different kinds of beasts? Citing three examples from the text, describe the nature and use of beasts and monsters in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Kalevala describe women? What range of roles do women play? What range of roles do men play? Is there ever any overlap or play with roles? Is Louhi ever masculine? Is Vainamoinen ever feminine?
Essay Topic 3
On several occasions, characters lie about their intentions before they finally tell the truth. What role does lying play in the Kalevala, and how do characters arrive at the truth? How are characters tricked or misled? Is misdirection always found out, or do characters get away with their lies? Cite examples from the text as you answer.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)