|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose praises does Vainamoinen sing at Ilmarinen's home?
2. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
3. Whom does Vainamoinen toast at the wedding?
4. Who helps the young maiden brew beer?
5. What does Vainamoinen try to convince Ilmarinen to help him do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the Kalevala for children or for adults? Is it for everyone? Use examples from the tales to describe what the Kalevala offers for either audience.
Essay Topic 2
What information, what natural phenomena, and what morals does the Kalevala teach? Use examples from the text to describe what the Kalevala teaches and how it delivers each kind of knowledge.
Essay Topic 3
Many times characters sing praises for the Creator, but there are also many cases where characters create things themselves. How are the characters' creations celebrated or recognized? What kinds of creation are reserved for the Creator? Do any of the characters try to overstep the limits of their creative abilities? Using examples from the text, describe creations in the Kalevala.
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)