|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
2. Whose praises does Vainamoinen sing at Ilmarinen's home?
3. What does Kullervo's mother tell him after she hears about the woman he seduced?
4. What do Vainamoinen's tears turn into after they drop into the sea?
5. Who is explicitly not invited to the wedding of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On a number of occasions, children deliver important information in the Kalevala. Citing three examples from the text, describe the role of the child in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Kalevala describe women? What range of roles do women play? What range of roles do men play? Is there ever any overlap or play with roles? Is Louhi ever masculine? Is Vainamoinen ever feminine?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of animals and monsters in the Kalevala. Are they all of the same class, or are there different kinds of beasts? Citing three examples from the text, describe the nature and use of beasts and monsters in the Kalevala.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)