|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
2. Where does Lemminkainen hide after the wedding feast?
3. How do Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen get the Sampo from Louhi?
4. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
5. What does the character do who is not welcome at the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Lemmenkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen heroes or gods? Are they immortal and fixed like constellations in their personalities? Or are they people who are larger than life because of their deeds and personalities? Cite examples from the text that support one argument or the other.
Essay Topic 2
On several occasions, characters lie about their intentions before they finally tell the truth. What role does lying play in the Kalevala, and how do characters arrive at the truth? How are characters tricked or misled? Is misdirection always found out, or do characters get away with their lies? Cite examples from the text as you answer.
Essay Topic 3
On more than one occasion, a woman is unfaithful to the man she is with or married to. What role does infidelity play in the Kalevala? Is there an expectation of fidelity in marriage? Is there a different expectation? When characters marry in the Kalevala, is their marriage the same as an ordinary marriage, or are the Kalevala marriages different?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)