|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
2. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
3. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
4. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
5. What does the character do who is not welcome at the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On more than one occasion, a woman is unfaithful to the man she is with or married to. What role does infidelity play in the Kalevala? Is there an expectation of fidelity in marriage? Is there a different expectation? When characters marry in the Kalevala, is their marriage the same as an ordinary marriage, or are the Kalevala marriages different?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Kalevala describe women? What range of roles do women play? What range of roles do men play? Is there ever any overlap or play with roles? Is Louhi ever masculine? Is Vainamoinen ever feminine?
Essay Topic 3
What role does marriage and courtship play in the Kalevala? Cite three instances of marriage or courtship and describe the consequences of each. Does marriage settle or unsettle relationships between characters? Is it promising or threatening? What is at stake when someone proposes marriage?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)