|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
2. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
3. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
4. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
5. How does Ilmarinen's wife, the Daughter of Louhi, express her dislike for Kullervo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes characters are brought back to life in the Kalevala. Who or what determines whether characters are let to die or are brought back to life? Is there a Fate-like agency that decides? Or is it the whim of the story? Choose three examples of characters dying or being brought back to life and from those instances, describe the significance of death in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Kalevala describe women? What range of roles do women play? What range of roles do men play? Is there ever any overlap or play with roles? Is Louhi ever masculine? Is Vainamoinen ever feminine?
Essay Topic 3
Is the Kalevala for children or for adults? Is it for everyone? Use examples from the tales to describe what the Kalevala offers for either audience.
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)