|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
2. How does Vainamoinen keep Louhi and her soldiers from catching up with him and Lemminkainen and Ilmarinen?
3. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
4. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
5. What does Louhi do to get revenge on Lemminkainen for what Lemminkainen did to the Lord of Pohja?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On more than one occasion, a woman is unfaithful to the man she is with or married to. What role does infidelity play in the Kalevala? Is there an expectation of fidelity in marriage? Is there a different expectation? When characters marry in the Kalevala, is their marriage the same as an ordinary marriage, or are the Kalevala marriages different?
Essay Topic 2
On a number of occasions, children deliver important information in the Kalevala. Citing three examples from the text, describe the role of the child in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
Several characters tell stories in the Kalevala. What makes a good story? What makes a bad story? What are the rewards or consequences of telling a good or bad story? Does the Kalevala itself meet its own criteria for a good story? How does the poetic form of the Kalevala contribute to its value as a story?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)