Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
2. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
3. What does Vainamoinen do when he sees that Louhi has freed her prisoners?
4. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
5. Where does Ilmarinen get help to heal his wounds?
Essay Topic 1
What information, what natural phenomena, and what morals does the Kalevala teach? Use examples from the text to describe what the Kalevala teaches and how it delivers each kind of knowledge.
Essay Topic 2
Is there evidence of authorial inconsistency? Do the tales seem to flow as one overarching narrative, or are they a collection of different and contradictory stories? Do different stories teach different morals?
Essay Topic 3
What role does marriage and courtship play in the Kalevala? Cite three instances of marriage or courtship and describe the consequences of each. Does marriage settle or unsettle relationships between characters? Is it promising or threatening? What is at stake when someone proposes marriage?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)