|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ilmarinen get help to heal his wounds?
2. What do Vainamoinen's tears turn into after they drop into the sea?
3. What does Kullervo's mother tell him after she hears about the woman he seduced?
4. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
5. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does marriage and courtship play in the Kalevala? Cite three instances of marriage or courtship and describe the consequences of each. Does marriage settle or unsettle relationships between characters? Is it promising or threatening? What is at stake when someone proposes marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Do the characters in the Kalevala show personal growth over the course of the tales? Do they simply represent eternal personalities? Are they unchanging gods, or are they human beings who learn and grow? Answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What glimpses do you get into the everyday lives of the Finns who composed the Kalevala? What was their life like? What did they value, and what were they afraid of? What technologies did they have? What gods did they believe in? What customs did they follow?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)