|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
2. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
3. Who tells Kullervo that his family still lives while he is wandering through the forest?
4. What does Lemminkainen say when he arrives at the wedding feast?
5. What do Lemminkainen, Ilmarinen, and the oarsmen and maidens propose to do with the thing Vainamoinen makes from the pike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Kalevala describe women? What range of roles do women play? What range of roles do men play? Is there ever any overlap or play with roles? Is Louhi ever masculine? Is Vainamoinen ever feminine?
Essay Topic 2
Enchantments and magic are commonplace throughout the Kalevala. Are they used for good or evil? Are good and evil even appropriate terms to describe the use of magic and enchantment. If good and evil are not the most appropriate terms, how would you describe the uses to which magic is put? Is magic simply a matter of convenience? Fear or desire? Power?
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes characters are brought back to life in the Kalevala. Who or what determines whether characters are let to die or are brought back to life? Is there a Fate-like agency that decides? Or is it the whim of the story? Choose three examples of characters dying or being brought back to life and from those instances, describe the significance of death in the Kalevala.
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)