|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ilmarinen punish Louhi's daughter?
2. Who helps Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen catch the giant fish?
3. What allows Lemminkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen to pass through the waterfall?
4. What does Ilmarinen use to make himself a new wife?
5. What happens after Vainamoinen reaches the cave where Louhi is keeping her prisoners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Enchantments and magic are commonplace throughout the Kalevala. Are they used for good or evil? Are good and evil even appropriate terms to describe the use of magic and enchantment. If good and evil are not the most appropriate terms, how would you describe the uses to which magic is put? Is magic simply a matter of convenience? Fear or desire? Power?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of animals and monsters in the Kalevala. Are they all of the same class, or are there different kinds of beasts? Citing three examples from the text, describe the nature and use of beasts and monsters in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
Several characters tell stories in the Kalevala. What makes a good story? What makes a bad story? What are the rewards or consequences of telling a good or bad story? Does the Kalevala itself meet its own criteria for a good story? How does the poetic form of the Kalevala contribute to its value as a story?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)