Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
2. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
3. What does Vainamoinen do when he sees that Louhi has freed her prisoners?
4. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
5. Where does Ilmarinen get help to heal his wounds?
Essay Topic 1
How does the Kalevala describe women? What range of roles do women play? What range of roles do men play? Is there ever any overlap or play with roles? Is Louhi ever masculine? Is Vainamoinen ever feminine?
Essay Topic 2
Many times characters sing praises for the Creator, but there are also many cases where characters create things themselves. How are the characters' creations celebrated or recognized? What kinds of creation are reserved for the Creator? Do any of the characters try to overstep the limits of their creative abilities? Using examples from the text, describe creations in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
On more than one occasion, a woman is unfaithful to the man she is with or married to. What role does infidelity play in the Kalevala? Is there an expectation of fidelity in marriage? Is there a different expectation? When characters marry in the Kalevala, is their marriage the same as an ordinary marriage, or are the Kalevala marriages different?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)