|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the young maiden brew beer?
2. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
3. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
4. What does the Old Man by the Fire say about stories of children?
5. What does Lemminkainen say when he arrives at the wedding feast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes characters are brought back to life in the Kalevala. Who or what determines whether characters are let to die or are brought back to life? Is there a Fate-like agency that decides? Or is it the whim of the story? Choose three examples of characters dying or being brought back to life and from those instances, describe the significance of death in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 2
What information, what natural phenomena, and what morals does the Kalevala teach? Use examples from the text to describe what the Kalevala teaches and how it delivers each kind of knowledge.
Essay Topic 3
On several occasions, characters lie about their intentions before they finally tell the truth. What role does lying play in the Kalevala, and how do characters arrive at the truth? How are characters tricked or misled? Is misdirection always found out, or do characters get away with their lies? Cite examples from the text as you answer.
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)