|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ilmarinen use to make himself a new wife?
2. What do Vainamoinen's tears turn into after they drop into the sea?
3. Where do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen go to look for the flame the Creator sends?
4. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
5. What does Louhi's daughter do when she and Ilmarinen stop for the night?
Essay Topic 1
What glimpses do you get into the everyday lives of the Finns who composed the Kalevala? What was their life like? What did they value, and what were they afraid of? What technologies did they have? What gods did they believe in? What customs did they follow?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters tell stories in the Kalevala. What makes a good story? What makes a bad story? What are the rewards or consequences of telling a good or bad story? Does the Kalevala itself meet its own criteria for a good story? How does the poetic form of the Kalevala contribute to its value as a story?
Essay Topic 3
On several occasions, characters lie about their intentions before they finally tell the truth. What role does lying play in the Kalevala, and how do characters arrive at the truth? How are characters tricked or misled? Is misdirection always found out, or do characters get away with their lies? Cite examples from the text as you answer.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)