|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man by the Fire say about stories of children?
2. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
3. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
4. What does Louhi tell Ilmarinen when he returns to Pohja?
5. What do Lemminkainen, Ilmarinen, and the oarsmen and maidens propose to do with the thing Vainamoinen makes from the pike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which parts of these tales are particular to their culture and their times? Which parts of these tales are eternal and apply to every human being? Using examples from the text, describe the culture that created these tales. And describe the timeless human nature that created the other parts of them.
Essay Topic 2
Is the Kalevala for children or for adults? Is it for everyone? Use examples from the tales to describe what the Kalevala offers for either audience.
Essay Topic 3
Do the characters in the Kalevala show personal growth over the course of the tales? Do they simply represent eternal personalities? Are they unchanging gods, or are they human beings who learn and grow? Answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)