|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose praises does Vainamoinen sing at Ilmarinen's home?
2. Who is explicitly not invited to the wedding of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
3. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
4. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
5. Whom does Lemminkainen seek out to help him get revenge on the armies that had pursued him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there evidence of authorial inconsistency? Do the tales seem to flow as one overarching narrative, or are they a collection of different and contradictory stories? Do different stories teach different morals?
Essay Topic 2
Describe three transformations in the Kalevala. How do characters change shape or take different forms? Which characters have this ability? Which do not? How would you characterize this power of transformation? Is it merely a narrative ploy, or were there characters in Finnish culture who were once supposed to have had this power?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of justice applies in the Kalevala? Is murder always punished? Is theft always punished? Is the justice always the same or does it vary? Citing examples from the text, describe justice in the Kalevala.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)