|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
2. What does Vainamoinen try to convince Ilmarinen to help him do?
3. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
4. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
5. What happens after Vainamoinen reaches the cave where Louhi is keeping her prisoners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Lemmenkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen heroes or gods? Are they immortal and fixed like constellations in their personalities? Or are they people who are larger than life because of their deeds and personalities? Cite examples from the text that support one argument or the other.
Essay Topic 2
Which parts of these tales are particular to their culture and their times? Which parts of these tales are eternal and apply to every human being? Using examples from the text, describe the culture that created these tales. And describe the timeless human nature that created the other parts of them.
Essay Topic 3
On several occasions, characters lie about their intentions before they finally tell the truth. What role does lying play in the Kalevala, and how do characters arrive at the truth? How are characters tricked or misled? Is misdirection always found out, or do characters get away with their lies? Cite examples from the text as you answer.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)