|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
2. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
3. What does Vainamoinen do when he sees that Louhi has freed her prisoners?
4. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
5. Where does Ilmarinen get help to heal his wounds?
Essay Topic 1
What glimpses do you get into the everyday lives of the Finns who composed the Kalevala? What was their life like? What did they value, and what were they afraid of? What technologies did they have? What gods did they believe in? What customs did they follow?
Essay Topic 2
Describe three transformations in the Kalevala. How do characters change shape or take different forms? Which characters have this ability? Which do not? How would you characterize this power of transformation? Is it merely a narrative ploy, or were there characters in Finnish culture who were once supposed to have had this power?
Essay Topic 3
Many times characters sing praises for the Creator, but there are also many cases where characters create things themselves. How are the characters' creations celebrated or recognized? What kinds of creation are reserved for the Creator? Do any of the characters try to overstep the limits of their creative abilities? Using examples from the text, describe creations in the Kalevala.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)