|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Old Man by the Fire say about stories of children?
2. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
3. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
4. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
5. What do Vainamoinen's tears turn into after they drop into the sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What glimpses do you get into the everyday lives of the Finns who composed the Kalevala? What was their life like? What did they value, and what were they afraid of? What technologies did they have? What gods did they believe in? What customs did they follow?
Essay Topic 2
What role does marriage and courtship play in the Kalevala? Cite three instances of marriage or courtship and describe the consequences of each. Does marriage settle or unsettle relationships between characters? Is it promising or threatening? What is at stake when someone proposes marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes characters are brought back to life in the Kalevala. Who or what determines whether characters are let to die or are brought back to life? Is there a Fate-like agency that decides? Or is it the whim of the story? Choose three examples of characters dying or being brought back to life and from those instances, describe the significance of death in the Kalevala.
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)