|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ilmarinen's wife, the Daughter of Louhi, express her dislike for Kullervo?
2. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
3. Who is explicitly not invited to the wedding of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
4. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
5. Who survives Untamo's attack on Kalervo's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times characters sing praises for the Creator, but there are also many cases where characters create things themselves. How are the characters' creations celebrated or recognized? What kinds of creation are reserved for the Creator? Do any of the characters try to overstep the limits of their creative abilities? Using examples from the text, describe creations in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 2
Is the Kalevala for children or for adults? Is it for everyone? Use examples from the tales to describe what the Kalevala offers for either audience.
Essay Topic 3
How does the Kalevala describe women? What range of roles do women play? What range of roles do men play? Is there ever any overlap or play with roles? Is Louhi ever masculine? Is Vainamoinen ever feminine?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)