|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kullervo's mother tell him after she hears about the woman he seduced?
2. What song is sung at the end of the feast?
3. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
4. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
5. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the Kalevala for children or for adults? Is it for everyone? Use examples from the tales to describe what the Kalevala offers for either audience.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of animals and monsters in the Kalevala. Are they all of the same class, or are there different kinds of beasts? Citing three examples from the text, describe the nature and use of beasts and monsters in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
On a number of occasions, children deliver important information in the Kalevala. Citing three examples from the text, describe the role of the child in the Kalevala.
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)