|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
2. What does Lemminkainen find in his food at the wedding feast?
3. What does Louhi send to attack Vainamoinen after the plagues?
4. How does Ilmarinen's wife, the Daughter of Louhi, express her dislike for Kullervo?
5. What happens after Vainamoinen reaches the cave where Louhi is keeping her prisoners?
Essay Topic 1
Many times characters sing praises for the Creator, but there are also many cases where characters create things themselves. How are the characters' creations celebrated or recognized? What kinds of creation are reserved for the Creator? Do any of the characters try to overstep the limits of their creative abilities? Using examples from the text, describe creations in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 2
On a number of occasions, children deliver important information in the Kalevala. Citing three examples from the text, describe the role of the child in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
Is the Kalevala for children or for adults? Is it for everyone? Use examples from the tales to describe what the Kalevala offers for either audience.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)