|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen try to convince Ilmarinen to help him do?
2. Whose praises does Vainamoinen sing at Ilmarinen's home?
3. Whom does Lemminkainen seek out to help him get revenge on the armies that had pursued him?
4. What does the Lord of Pohja offer Lemminkainen after Lemminkainen complains about the food?
5. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Lemmenkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen heroes or gods? Are they immortal and fixed like constellations in their personalities? Or are they people who are larger than life because of their deeds and personalities? Cite examples from the text that support one argument or the other.
Essay Topic 2
Which parts of these tales are particular to their culture and their times? Which parts of these tales are eternal and apply to every human being? Using examples from the text, describe the culture that created these tales. And describe the timeless human nature that created the other parts of them.
Essay Topic 3
How does the Kalevala describe women? What range of roles do women play? What range of roles do men play? Is there ever any overlap or play with roles? Is Louhi ever masculine? Is Vainamoinen ever feminine?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)