|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Vainamoinen reaches the cave where Louhi is keeping her prisoners?
2. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
3. Who survives Untamo's attack on Kalervo's home?
4. What does Ilmarinen use to make himself a new wife?
5. Whose praises does Vainamoinen sing at Ilmarinen's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On more than one occasion, a woman is unfaithful to the man she is with or married to. What role does infidelity play in the Kalevala? Is there an expectation of fidelity in marriage? Is there a different expectation? When characters marry in the Kalevala, is their marriage the same as an ordinary marriage, or are the Kalevala marriages different?
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes characters are brought back to life in the Kalevala. Who or what determines whether characters are let to die or are brought back to life? Is there a Fate-like agency that decides? Or is it the whim of the story? Choose three examples of characters dying or being brought back to life and from those instances, describe the significance of death in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
How does the Kalevala describe women? What range of roles do women play? What range of roles do men play? Is there ever any overlap or play with roles? Is Louhi ever masculine? Is Vainamoinen ever feminine?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)