|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
2. What happens when Vainamoinen wrestles with Vipunen?
3. What is the little maid doing when she hears Vainamoinen?
4. What is Vainamoinen thinking about when the eagle rescues him?
5. What does Vainamoinen do when Louhi offers him food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annikki do when she sees Vainamoinen sailing for Pohja?
2. What reputation does Vainamoinen acquire over time?
3. How does Vainamoinen kill the pike and what does he do with it after he kills it?
4. Describe Lemminkainen's elk hunt.
5. How does Kullervo end up being sold to Ilmarinen?
6. What happens when Vainamoinen tells Aino to wear jewelry?
7. How does Vainamoinen make pearls by playing the kantele?
8. What kind of stories does Joukahainen tell?
9. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
10. How does Ilmarinen's wife express her distaste for Kullervo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of animals and monsters in the Kalevala. Are they all of the same class, or are there different kinds of beasts? Citing three examples from the text, describe the nature and use of beasts and monsters in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 2
On more than one occasion, a woman is unfaithful to the man she is with or married to. What role does infidelity play in the Kalevala? Is there an expectation of fidelity in marriage? Is there a different expectation? When characters marry in the Kalevala, is their marriage the same as an ordinary marriage, or are the Kalevala marriages different?
Essay Topic 3
What information, what natural phenomena, and what morals does the Kalevala teach? Use examples from the text to describe what the Kalevala teaches and how it delivers each kind of knowledge.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)