Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this lumberjack cut down such an enormous tree?
2. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
3. What name is the Water-Mother given?
4. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
5. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vainamoinen convince Ilmarinen to help him steal the Sampo in Pohja?
2. How does Marjetta lose and then find her baby?
3. How do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen liberate the sun and moon from the cave?
4. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
5. What happens when the Daughter of the Air comes to earth?
6. What happens after Vainamoinen is rescued by the eagle?
7. What do the people tell the Maid of Pohja about marriage?
8. What happens when Lemminkainen happens upon the home of Louhi on his way to Pohja?
9. How is Lemminkainen entertained at the wedding?
10. Who tries to play the kantele Vainamoinen makes?
Enchantments and magic are commonplace throughout the Kalevala. Are they used for good or evil? Are good and evil even appropriate terms to describe the use of magic and enchantment. If good and evil are not the most appropriate terms, how would you describe the uses to which magic is put? Is magic simply a matter of convenience? Fear or desire? Power?
What role does marriage and courtship play in the Kalevala? Cite three instances of marriage or courtship and describe the consequences of each. Does marriage settle or unsettle relationships between characters? Is it promising or threatening? What is at stake when someone proposes marriage?
Are Lemmenkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen heroes or gods? Are they immortal and fixed like constellations in their personalities? Or are they people who are larger than life because of their deeds and personalities? Cite examples from the text that support one argument or the other.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)