|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
2. Who is not banished from the fire by Lemmenkainen's magical songs?
3. What was the Water-Mother's name before she became the Water-Mother?
4. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
5. What does Lemmenkainen do when his happiness with Kyllikki ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Vainamoinen goes to the underworld?
2. What happens when Ilmarinen finds that his new bride has amused herself with another man while Ilmarinen was sleeping?
3. What happens after Kullervo slaughters Untamo's family?`
4. What does Vainamoinen tell his friends when he arrives home?
5. How does Vainamoinen make pearls by playing the kantele?
6. What does Kullervo do when he discovers Ilmarinen's wife's disdain for him?
7. What reputation does Vainamoinen acquire over time?
8. What happens when Vainamoinen tries to help the oak grow?
9. What happens when Vainamoinen prays for someone to cut down the enormous oak?
10. What happens when Lemminkainen decides to go to the wedding?
Essay Topic 1
Is the Kalevala for children or for adults? Is it for everyone? Use examples from the tales to describe what the Kalevala offers for either audience.
Essay Topic 2
On more than one occasion, a woman is unfaithful to the man she is with or married to. What role does infidelity play in the Kalevala? Is there an expectation of fidelity in marriage? Is there a different expectation? When characters marry in the Kalevala, is their marriage the same as an ordinary marriage, or are the Kalevala marriages different?
Essay Topic 3
Which parts of these tales are particular to their culture and their times? Which parts of these tales are eternal and apply to every human being? Using examples from the text, describe the culture that created these tales. And describe the timeless human nature that created the other parts of them.
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)