|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
2. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
3. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
4. What does Vainamoinen do when Louhi offers him food?
5. Who impregnates the Water-Mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
2. How is Lemminkainen entertained at the wedding?
3. Describe Lemminkainen's elk hunt.
4. What happens to the chips that come from cutting down the mighty oak?
5. How does Vainamoinen convince Vipunen to tell him the three magic words?
6. What story does Anio's mother tell her to make her feel better about marrying Vainamoinen?
7. What does Annikki do when she sees Vainamoinen sailing for Pohja?
8. What happens after Vainamoinen refuses to cease working at his blacksmith's shop inside of Vipunen?
9. What does the storyteller describe in the introductory stanzas?
10. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Enchantments and magic are commonplace throughout the Kalevala. Are they used for good or evil? Are good and evil even appropriate terms to describe the use of magic and enchantment. If good and evil are not the most appropriate terms, how would you describe the uses to which magic is put? Is magic simply a matter of convenience? Fear or desire? Power?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of justice applies in the Kalevala? Is murder always punished? Is theft always punished? Is the justice always the same or does it vary? Citing examples from the text, describe justice in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
Is the Kalevala for children or for adults? Is it for everyone? Use examples from the tales to describe what the Kalevala offers for either audience.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)