|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the shore to see who has arrived there?
2. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
3. Where does the Storyteller get his story?
4. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
5. What does Aino do in response to Vainamoinen's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lemminkainen's elk hunt.
2. How does Louhi ensure that there will be enough beer?
3. How do Joukahainen's mother and sister feel about the deal Joukahainen struck with Vainamoinen?
4. What kind of stories does Joukahainen tell?
5. What does the storyteller describe in the introductory stanzas?
6. Why does Vainamoinen go down to the underworld?
7. How does Vainamoinen make pearls by playing the kantele?
8. Where does Lemminkainen hide from Louhi's army, and what is it like there?
9. How does Ilmarinen fix the destruction caused by the light the Creator sent down to earth when the sun and moon were stolen?
10. How does Ilmarinen's wife express her distaste for Kullervo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On several occasions, characters lie about their intentions before they finally tell the truth. What role does lying play in the Kalevala, and how do characters arrive at the truth? How are characters tricked or misled? Is misdirection always found out, or do characters get away with their lies? Cite examples from the text as you answer.
Essay Topic 2
What role does marriage and courtship play in the Kalevala? Cite three instances of marriage or courtship and describe the consequences of each. Does marriage settle or unsettle relationships between characters? Is it promising or threatening? What is at stake when someone proposes marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes characters are brought back to life in the Kalevala. Who or what determines whether characters are let to die or are brought back to life? Is there a Fate-like agency that decides? Or is it the whim of the story? Choose three examples of characters dying or being brought back to life and from those instances, describe the significance of death in the Kalevala.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)