Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this lumberjack cut down such an enormous tree?
2. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
3. What name is the Water-Mother given?
4. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
5. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vainamoinen convince Ilmarinen to help him steal the Sampo in Pohja?
2. How does Marjetta lose and then find her baby?
3. How do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen liberate the sun and moon from the cave?
4. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
5. What happens when the Daughter of the Air comes to earth?
6. What happens after Vainamoinen is rescued by the eagle?
7. What do the people tell the Maid of Pohja about marriage?
8. What happens when Lemminkainen happens upon the home of Louhi on his way to Pohja?
9. How is Lemminkainen entertained at the wedding?
10. Who tries to play the kantele Vainamoinen makes?
Essay Topic 1
What kind of justice applies in the Kalevala? Is murder always punished? Is theft always punished? Is the justice always the same or does it vary? Citing examples from the text, describe justice in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 2
Which parts of these tales are particular to their culture and their times? Which parts of these tales are eternal and apply to every human being? Using examples from the text, describe the culture that created these tales. And describe the timeless human nature that created the other parts of them.
Essay Topic 3
Are Lemmenkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen heroes or gods? Are they immortal and fixed like constellations in their personalities? Or are they people who are larger than life because of their deeds and personalities? Cite examples from the text that support one argument or the other.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)