|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ultimately helps Louhi do what she wants done?
2. What does the person who comes to meet Vainamoinen say that Vainamoinen's purpose is when he arrives back home?
3. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
4. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
5. What is the little maid doing when she hears Vainamoinen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Vainamoinen refuses to cease working at his blacksmith's shop inside of Vipunen?
2. What story does Anio's mother tell her to make her feel better about marrying Vainamoinen?
3. How does Marjetta lose and then find her baby?
4. How does Vainamoinen heal his people from Louhi's revenge?
5. How does Louhi get revenge for the loss of the Sampo?
6. What does Annikki do when she sees Vainamoinen sailing for Pohja?
7. What happens after Kullervo slaughters Untamo's family?`
8. What reputation does Vainamoinen acquire over time?
9. What does Louhi say she wants in return for giving Vainamoinen safe passage home?
10. What happens when Lemminkainen happens upon the home of Louhi on his way to Pohja?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of justice applies in the Kalevala? Is murder always punished? Is theft always punished? Is the justice always the same or does it vary? Citing examples from the text, describe justice in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 2
What glimpses do you get into the everyday lives of the Finns who composed the Kalevala? What was their life like? What did they value, and what were they afraid of? What technologies did they have? What gods did they believe in? What customs did they follow?
Essay Topic 3
On more than one occasion, a woman is unfaithful to the man she is with or married to. What role does infidelity play in the Kalevala? Is there an expectation of fidelity in marriage? Is there a different expectation? When characters marry in the Kalevala, is their marriage the same as an ordinary marriage, or are the Kalevala marriages different?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)