|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lemminkainen take his new bride?
2. How does Vainamoinen escape from the Underworld?
3. What does Vainamoinen resolve to build at the beginning of Part 16?
4. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
5. What happens after Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of stories does Joukahainen tell?
2. Where does Lemminkainen hide from Louhi's army, and what is it like there?
3. What happens when the Daughter of the Air comes to earth?
4. What happens when Lemminkainen and the Lord of Pohja start a conjuring duel?
5. What happens after Vainamoinen tells the old man the story of the iron?
6. How does Ilmarinen's wife express her distaste for Kullervo?
7. What happens when Lemminkainen decides to go to the wedding?
8. What happens when Vainamoinen prays for someone to cut down the enormous oak?
9. What tasks does the Maid of Pohja demand of Vainamoinen when he proposes to her?
10. What happens after Vainamoinen is rescued by the eagle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What glimpses do you get into the everyday lives of the Finns who composed the Kalevala? What was their life like? What did they value, and what were they afraid of? What technologies did they have? What gods did they believe in? What customs did they follow?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of animals and monsters in the Kalevala. Are they all of the same class, or are there different kinds of beasts? Citing three examples from the text, describe the nature and use of beasts and monsters in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
On a number of occasions, children deliver important information in the Kalevala. Citing three examples from the text, describe the role of the child in the Kalevala.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)