Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this lumberjack cut down such an enormous tree?
2. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
3. What name is the Water-Mother given?
4. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
5. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vainamoinen convince Ilmarinen to help him steal the Sampo in Pohja?
2. How does Marjetta lose and then find her baby?
3. How do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen liberate the sun and moon from the cave?
4. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
5. What happens when the Daughter of the Air comes to earth?
6. What happens after Vainamoinen is rescued by the eagle?
7. What do the people tell the Maid of Pohja about marriage?
8. What happens when Lemminkainen happens upon the home of Louhi on his way to Pohja?
9. How is Lemminkainen entertained at the wedding?
10. Who tries to play the kantele Vainamoinen makes?
Essay Topic 1
On more than one occasion, a woman is unfaithful to the man she is with or married to. What role does infidelity play in the Kalevala? Is there an expectation of fidelity in marriage? Is there a different expectation? When characters marry in the Kalevala, is their marriage the same as an ordinary marriage, or are the Kalevala marriages different?
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes characters are brought back to life in the Kalevala. Who or what determines whether characters are let to die or are brought back to life? Is there a Fate-like agency that decides? Or is it the whim of the story? Choose three examples of characters dying or being brought back to life and from those instances, describe the significance of death in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of animals and monsters in the Kalevala. Are they all of the same class, or are there different kinds of beasts? Citing three examples from the text, describe the nature and use of beasts and monsters in the Kalevala.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)