|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
2. Who helps Lemmenkainen capture the elk after his snowshoes break?
3. What is Vainamoinen missing as he works with the wood Sampsa brought him?
4. Where does Vainamoinen want to send his friend Sampsa at the beginning of part 16?
5. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tasks does the Maid of Pohja demand of Vainamoinen when he proposes to her?
2. What happens when Joukahainen prepares to hunt down Vainamoinen?
3. Describe Vainamoinen's birth.
4. What happens when Ilmarinen finds that his new bride has amused herself with another man while Ilmarinen was sleeping?
5. What does the Maid of Pohja dream, and what does her dream signify?
6. What do the people tell the Maid of Pohja about marriage?
7. How does Kullervo end up being sold to Ilmarinen?
8. What reputation does Vainamoinen acquire over time?
9. How does Marjetta lose and then find her baby?
10. How does Louhi get revenge for the loss of the Sampo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On several occasions, characters lie about their intentions before they finally tell the truth. What role does lying play in the Kalevala, and how do characters arrive at the truth? How are characters tricked or misled? Is misdirection always found out, or do characters get away with their lies? Cite examples from the text as you answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many times characters sing praises for the Creator, but there are also many cases where characters create things themselves. How are the characters' creations celebrated or recognized? What kinds of creation are reserved for the Creator? Do any of the characters try to overstep the limits of their creative abilities? Using examples from the text, describe creations in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
Is the Kalevala for children or for adults? Is it for everyone? Use examples from the tales to describe what the Kalevala offers for either audience.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)