|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Vainamoinen where he is sailing?
2. What song does Louhi's child sing after Vainamoinen has completed the tasks?
3. What does Louhi ask from Vainamoinen in return for her help?
4. Who helps Lemmenkainen's mother reassemble Lemmenkainen's body?
5. What name is the Water-Mother given?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vainamoinen convince Vipunen to tell him the three magic words?
2. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
3. How does Vainamoinen heal his people from Louhi's revenge?
4. How does the Storyteller describe the purpose of his stories at the end?
5. What happens when Vainamoinen disapproves of Joukahainen's stories?
6. What tasks does the Maid of Pohja demand of Vainamoinen when he proposes to her?
7. Describe Lemminkainen's courtship of Kyllikki.
8. How does Ilmarinen fix the destruction caused by the light the Creator sent down to earth when the sun and moon were stolen?
9. What does Vainamoinen suggest when the Old Man says that Marjetta's son must be tested before he can be baptized?
10. What happens when Lemminkainen and the Lord of Pohja start a conjuring duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What information, what natural phenomena, and what morals does the Kalevala teach? Use examples from the text to describe what the Kalevala teaches and how it delivers each kind of knowledge.
Essay Topic 2
Many times characters sing praises for the Creator, but there are also many cases where characters create things themselves. How are the characters' creations celebrated or recognized? What kinds of creation are reserved for the Creator? Do any of the characters try to overstep the limits of their creative abilities? Using examples from the text, describe creations in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 3
What role does marriage and courtship play in the Kalevala? Cite three instances of marriage or courtship and describe the consequences of each. Does marriage settle or unsettle relationships between characters? Is it promising or threatening? What is at stake when someone proposes marriage?
This section contains 1,606 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)