|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen agree to do when they arrive where they are going?
2. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
3. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
4. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
5. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Storyteller describe the purpose of his stories at the end?
2. How does Ilmarinen end up with another of Louhi's daughters?
3. What tasks does the Maid of Pohja demand of Vainamoinen when he proposes to her?
4. How is Lemminkainen entertained at the wedding?
5. What happens when Ilmarinen finds that his new bride has amused herself with another man while Ilmarinen was sleeping?
6. What happens when Lemminkainen decides to go to the wedding?
7. What happens when Joukahainen prepares to hunt down Vainamoinen?
8. What happens after Vainamoinen refuses to cease working at his blacksmith's shop inside of Vipunen?
9. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
10. How does Ilmarinen fix the destruction caused by the light the Creator sent down to earth when the sun and moon were stolen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Enchantments and magic are commonplace throughout the Kalevala. Are they used for good or evil? Are good and evil even appropriate terms to describe the use of magic and enchantment. If good and evil are not the most appropriate terms, how would you describe the uses to which magic is put? Is magic simply a matter of convenience? Fear or desire? Power?
Essay Topic 2
What glimpses do you get into the everyday lives of the Finns who composed the Kalevala? What was their life like? What did they value, and what were they afraid of? What technologies did they have? What gods did they believe in? What customs did they follow?
Essay Topic 3
On more than one occasion, a woman is unfaithful to the man she is with or married to. What role does infidelity play in the Kalevala? Is there an expectation of fidelity in marriage? Is there a different expectation? When characters marry in the Kalevala, is their marriage the same as an ordinary marriage, or are the Kalevala marriages different?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)