|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
2. What does Vainamoinen catch?
3. What happens when the eagle drops Vainamoinen?
4. What does Vainamoinen build to convince Vipunen to tell him what he wants to know?
5. What does Vainamoinen ride on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people tell the Maid of Pohja about marriage?
2. What does the storyteller describe in the introductory stanzas?
3. How does Vainamoinen kill the pike and what does he do with it after he kills it?
4. Describe Vainamoinen's birth.
5. What story does Anio's mother tell her to make her feel better about marrying Vainamoinen?
6. What reputation does Vainamoinen acquire over time?
7. How does Vainamoinen convince Ilmarinen to help him steal the Sampo in Pohja?
8. What happens when Vainamoinen goes to the underworld?
9. How does Vainamoinen convince Vipunen to tell him the three magic words?
10. How does Louhi get revenge for the loss of the Sampo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the Kalevala for children or for adults? Is it for everyone? Use examples from the tales to describe what the Kalevala offers for either audience.
Essay Topic 2
Is there evidence of authorial inconsistency? Do the tales seem to flow as one overarching narrative, or are they a collection of different and contradictory stories? Do different stories teach different morals?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of animals and monsters in the Kalevala. Are they all of the same class, or are there different kinds of beasts? Citing three examples from the text, describe the nature and use of beasts and monsters in the Kalevala.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)