|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lemmenkainen's mother ask of Ilmarinen?
2. What does Lemmenkainen demand of Louhi after he banishes the storytellers?
3. What does the water mother's baby do when he is born?
4. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
5. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kullervo end up being sold to Ilmarinen?
2. What happens after Vainamoinen is rescued by the eagle?
3. What happens after Vainamoinen tells the old man the story of the iron?
4. What does Vainamoinen suggest when the Old Man says that Marjetta's son must be tested before he can be baptized?
5. What happens to the chips that come from cutting down the mighty oak?
6. What does the Maid of Pohja dream, and what does her dream signify?
7. How does Ilmarinen end up with another of Louhi's daughters?
8. What happens when Joukahainen finally spots Vainamoinen crossing the ocean?
9. How is Lemminkainen entertained at the wedding?
10. What happens when Ilmarinen finds that his new bride has amused herself with another man while Ilmarinen was sleeping?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of animals and monsters in the Kalevala. Are they all of the same class, or are there different kinds of beasts? Citing three examples from the text, describe the nature and use of beasts and monsters in the Kalevala.
Essay Topic 2
On several occasions, characters lie about their intentions before they finally tell the truth. What role does lying play in the Kalevala, and how do characters arrive at the truth? How are characters tricked or misled? Is misdirection always found out, or do characters get away with their lies? Cite examples from the text as you answer.
Essay Topic 3
What information, what natural phenomena, and what morals does the Kalevala teach? Use examples from the text to describe what the Kalevala teaches and how it delivers each kind of knowledge.
This section contains 1,702 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)