Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this lumberjack cut down such an enormous tree?
2. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
3. What name is the Water-Mother given?
4. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
5. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vainamoinen convince Ilmarinen to help him steal the Sampo in Pohja?
2. How does Marjetta lose and then find her baby?
3. How do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen liberate the sun and moon from the cave?
4. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
5. What happens when the Daughter of the Air comes to earth?
6. What happens after Vainamoinen is rescued by the eagle?
7. What do the people tell the Maid of Pohja about marriage?
8. What happens when Lemminkainen happens upon the home of Louhi on his way to Pohja?
9. How is Lemminkainen entertained at the wedding?
10. Who tries to play the kantele Vainamoinen makes?
On several occasions, characters lie about their intentions before they finally tell the truth. What role does lying play in the Kalevala, and how do characters arrive at the truth? How are characters tricked or misled? Is misdirection always found out, or do characters get away with their lies? Cite examples from the text as you answer.
Describe three transformations in the Kalevala. How do characters change shape or take different forms? Which characters have this ability? Which do not? How would you characterize this power of transformation? Is it merely a narrative ploy, or were there characters in Finnish culture who were once supposed to have had this power?
Do the characters in the Kalevala show personal growth over the course of the tales? Do they simply represent eternal personalities? Are they unchanging gods, or are they human beings who learn and grow? Answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)