|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
(a) He burns down Kullervo's home.
(b) He tortures Kullervo.
(c) He gives Kullervo menial jobs.
(d) He kills Kullervo's beloved.
2. What do Vainamoinen and his people do with the beast(s) Louhi sends to attack them?
(a) They kill the bear and eat it.
(b) They kill the crows with stones.
(c) They capture the bees in trees and make mead from their honey.
(d) They tame the dog and teach it to hunt.
3. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
(a) A harp.
(b) A sword.
(c) An oar.
(d) A grinder.
4. What does Louhi do to get revenge on Lemminkainen for what Lemminkainen did to the Lord of Pohja?
(a) She cuts off his head and throws it into the sea.
(b) She sends an army into his country to destroy his home.
(c) She conjures an army to pursue him.
(d) She banishes him from the wedding feast.
5. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
(a) They tell her that she is in charge of her mother's household now in addition to her husband's.
(b) They tell her that she must bear children within the first year in order to have a happy marriage.
(c) They tell her that she is safer now that she is a woman and can answer her husband's authority with her own.
(d) She is told that she will never feel as safe in her husband's home as she was in her family's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louhi see Ilmarinen making that causes her to set her prisoners free?
2. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
3. What does Louhi do when she finds that the Sampo is gone?
4. How does Kullervo speak about his family when his mother asks him not to leave?
5. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)