|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
(a) An ox is butchered.
(b) Songs are taught to the musicians.
(c) A butcher is taught how to butcher an ox.
(d) Beer is prepared.
2. What does Louhi see Ilmarinen making that causes her to set her prisoners free?
(a) A woman to replace her.
(b) A magic sword to kill her.
(c) A poison sweetbread for her.
(d) A collar and chains to bind her.
3. What does Lemminkainen say when he arrives at the wedding feast?
(a) He threatens the Maid of Pohja.
(b) He challenges Vainamoinen to a fight.
(c) He demands to be greeted and fed properly.
(d) He curses the bride and groom.
4. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
(a) She is told that she will never feel as safe in her husband's home as she was in her family's.
(b) They tell her that she is in charge of her mother's household now in addition to her husband's.
(c) They tell her that she is safer now that she is a woman and can answer her husband's authority with her own.
(d) They tell her that she must bear children within the first year in order to have a happy marriage.
5. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
(a) A pike.
(b) A heron.
(c) A crow.
(d) A storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
2. What does the character do who is not welcome at the wedding?
3. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
4. What do Vainamoinen and his people do with the beast(s) Louhi sends to attack them?
5. What does Vainamoinen do when he sees that Louhi has freed her prisoners?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)