|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
(a) She wants Ilmarinen to marry the maid of Pohja.
(b) She wants Ilmarinen to get his revenge on Vainamoinen.
(c) She wants to set up a meeting between Ilmarinen and Vainamoinen.
(d) She wants to make sure that Vainamoinen does not reveal Ilmarinen's secrets.
2. What gift does Joukahainen offer that finally convinces Vainamoinen to let him go free?
(a) His sister.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A magical robe.
(d) The secret to his immortality.
3. How does Vainamoinen escape from the Underworld?
(a) He transforms himself into a small snake-like animal.
(b) He defeats Vipunen in single combat.
(c) He offers to marry the Daughter of the Underworld.
(d) He wrestles with the three-headed dog that guards the entrance to the Underworld.
4. What do the gods decide to do when they hear Lemmenkainen bragging?
(a) They turn him into a goose.
(b) They discourage him in the shape of his mother.
(c) They make him fall into a deep sleep.
(d) They send him on a wild chase after an elk.
5. What does Vainamoinen tell the living creatures after he returns from the Underworld?
(a) He tells them not to go there themselves.
(b) He tells them all about the Daughter of the Underworld.
(c) He describes the horrors he saw.
(d) He tells them the magic words he learned there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Markahattu do to Lemmenkainen?
2. Where does Vainamoinen plant his tree?
3. What does Vainamoinen do when Louhi offers him food?
4. Whose help does Vipunen ask for, to help him get rid of Vainamoinen?
5. What does Lemmenkainen decide to do after he is reassembled and brought back to life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ilmarinen fix the destruction caused by the light the Creator sent down to earth when the sun and moon were stolen?
2. What does Annikki do when she sees Vainamoinen sailing for Pohja?
3. What tasks does the Maid of Pohja demand of Vainamoinen when he proposes to her?
4. What happens after Vainamoinen is rescued by the eagle?
5. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
6. How does Ilmarinen's wife express her distaste for Kullervo?
7. What happens when Lemminkainen happens upon the home of Louhi on his way to Pohja?
8. How does Louhi get revenge for the loss of the Sampo?
9. How is the ox prepared for the wedding feast?
10. What happens when Lemminkainen decides to go to the wedding?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)