|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aino tell her mother when her mother asks about Aino's walk with Vainamoinen?
(a) Aino tells her mother that Vainamoinen stole her jewelry.
(b) Aino tells her that she was set upon by thieves.
(c) Aino tells her the truth about how she lost her jewelry.
(d) Aino tells her mother that Vainamoinen is plotting against the family.
2. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
(a) The wisdom of the gods.
(b) The secret of immortality.
(c) That mortals are rarely allowed to leave.
(d) The method for making better ships.
3. What are Joukahainen's stories like?
(a) They are childish and shallow.
(b) They are stories of battles and tournaments.
(c) They are colorful and interesting.
(d) They are wise and considered.
4. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
(a) Vainamoinen says that he has the help of the Daughter of the Underworld.
(b) Vainamoinen says that he feels perfectly at home and will not leave.
(c) Vainamoinen promises to torture Vipunen.
(d) Vainamoinen makes increasingly violent threats to Vipunen.
5. Who helps Lemmenkainen capture the elk after his snowshoes break?
(a) Louhi's daughter's governess.
(b) The gods of the forest.
(c) The gods of the mountains.
(d) The god of the dark cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
2. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
3. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
4. Who sets out the series of tasks Vainamoinen must complete if he is going to marry?
5. Where does Vainamoinen plant his tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Anio's mother tell her to make her feel better about marrying Vainamoinen?
2. How does Ilmarinen's wife express her distaste for Kullervo?
3. How does Ilmarinen fix the destruction caused by the light the Creator sent down to earth when the sun and moon were stolen?
4. What happens when Vainamoinen goes to the underworld?
5. What happens when Lemminkainen and the Lord of Pohja start a conjuring duel?
6. What happens when Lemminkainen happens upon the home of Louhi on his way to Pohja?
7. What does Kullervo do when he discovers Ilmarinen's wife's disdain for him?
8. How does Marjetta lose and then find her baby?
9. How does Vainamoinen make pearls by playing the kantele?
10. Describe how Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen court the Maid of Pohja.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)