|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A crossbow with poisoned arrows.
(d) A cannon.
2. What does Lemmenkainen decide to do after he is reassembled and brought back to life?
(a) He resolves to marry Louhi's daughter at any cost.
(b) He decides to live with his mother.
(c) He resolves to revenge himself on Markahattu.
(d) He takes his magic cloak back to Louhi's house.
3. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
(a) The story of discovery of language.
(b) The story of how the world was made.
(c) The story of how he first heard his story.
(d) The story of the first man.
4. Who helps Lemmenkainen's mother reassemble Lemmenkainen's body?
(a) A bee.
(b) Louhi's daughter.
(c) A snake.
(d) A dolphin.
5. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
(a) He gathers the others and arranges an ambush.
(b) He waits for Lemmenkainen outside.
(c) He accuses Lemmenkainen of witchcraft.
(d) He returns to the room with a knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
2. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
3. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
4. Who sets out the series of tasks Vainamoinen must complete if he is going to marry?
5. Who is not banished from the fire by Lemmenkainen's magical songs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the storyteller describe in the introductory stanzas?
2. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
3. Describe Lemminkainen's elk hunt.
4. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
5. How does Ilmarinen's wife express her distaste for Kullervo?
6. Describe Vainamoinen's birth.
7. How do Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen steal the Sampo?
8. How does Kullervo end up being sold to Ilmarinen?
9. What do the people tell the Maid of Pohja about marriage?
10. What happens when Vainamoinen disapproves of Joukahainen's stories?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)