|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Vainamoinen missing as he works with the wood Sampsa brought him?
(a) Iron hoops.
(b) Gum for caulking.
(c) Three magic words.
(d) A helper.
2. What does Vainamoinen answer when he is asked where he is sailing to?
(a) He says he is sailing to the dawn.
(b) He lies a first and then says he is sailing to Pohja.
(c) He says he is sailing to Ilmarinen.
(d) He says he is sailing home.
3. What does Markahattu do to Lemmenkainen?
(a) He disposes of his body in a river.
(b) He feeds his body to birds.
(c) He feeds his body to bees.
(d) He burns his body in a fire.
4. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
(a) The wisdom of the gods.
(b) The secret of immortality.
(c) The method for making better ships.
(d) That mortals are rarely allowed to leave.
5. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
(a) She tells Vainamoinen that he is too old for her to marry.
(b) She says that she would be honored to marry Vainamoinen,
(c) She says that her father has forbidden her to marry Vainamoinen.
(d) She says that she does not like sailors and will not marry Vainamoinen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the shore to see who has arrived there?
2. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
3. What does Lemmenkainen decide to do after he is reassembled and brought back to life?
4. What does Vainamoinen tell Louhi in response to her request?
5. How does Aino's mother console her when Aino is crying about marrying Vainamoinen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Louhi get revenge for the loss of the Sampo?
2. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
3. What happens when Vainamoinen prays for someone to cut down the enormous oak?
4. What story does Anio's mother tell her to make her feel better about marrying Vainamoinen?
5. What does Annikki do when she sees Vainamoinen sailing for Pohja?
6. What happens when Vainamoinen goes to the underworld?
7. What happens after Vainamoinen tells the old man the story of the iron?
8. Who tries to play the kantele Vainamoinen makes?
9. How does Vainamoinen convince Vipunen to tell him the three magic words?
10. How does Ilmarinen's wife express her distaste for Kullervo?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)