|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
(c) Aino's mother.
2. Who is the Maid of Pohja?
(a) Vainamoinen's cousin.
(b) Louhi's daughter.
(d) Joukahainen's youngest sister.
3. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
(a) Builds a lodge.
(b) Shapes it into a series of tools.
(c) Builds a house.
(d) Shapes it into a boat.
4. How does this lumberjack cut down such an enormous tree?
(a) He turns into a huge, armor clad warrior.
(b) He summons a team of beavers.
(c) He pulls the tree up with his bare hands.
(d) He calls a team of lumberjacks.
5. What is the name of the baby the Water-Mother is carrying?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Vainamoinen where he is sailing?
2. What happens after Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
3. Who comes to the shore to see who has arrived there?
4. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen agree to do when they arrive where they are going?
5. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
2. What kind of stories does Joukahainen tell?
3. What does the storyteller describe in the introductory stanzas?
4. What does Louhi say she wants in return for giving Vainamoinen safe passage home?
5. How does Louhi get revenge for the loss of the Sampo?
6. How does Kullervo end up being sold to Ilmarinen?
7. How does Ilmarinen end up with another of Louhi's daughters?
8. What do the people tell the Maid of Pohja about marriage?
9. What additional challenges does Louhi assign to Lemminkainen?
10. What happens when Vainamoinen disapproves of Joukahainen's stories?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)