|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Joukahainen offer that finally convinces Vainamoinen to let him go free?
(a) A magical robe.
(b) His sister.
(c) The secret to his immortality.
(d) A necklace.
2. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
(a) She tells Vainamoinen that he is too old for her to marry.
(b) She says that she does not like sailors and will not marry Vainamoinen.
(c) She says that she would be honored to marry Vainamoinen,
(d) She says that her father has forbidden her to marry Vainamoinen.
3. What does Vainamoinen ride on his journey?
(a) A magical salmon.
(b) An burro.
(c) A magical elk.
(d) A magical crow.
4. What does Louhi ask from Vainamoinen in return for her help?
(a) She asks him to build a grinder.
(b) She asks him to tame the man-eating horses.
(c) She asks him to marry her daughter.
(d) She asks him to ride a magic horse.
5. What happens when Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
(a) His third shot kills the magical elk.
(b) His mother intervenes to protect Vainamoinen.
(c) His first shot kills Vainamoinen.
(d) His second shot kills Vainamoinen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sets out the series of tasks Vainamoinen must complete if he is going to marry?
2. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
3. What is Vainamoinen thinking about when the eagle rescues him?
4. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
5. What does Vainamoinen ask Aino to do for him when they are walking through the forest together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Lemminkainen hide from Louhi's army, and what is it like there?
2. What story does Anio's mother tell her to make her feel better about marrying Vainamoinen?
3. How does the Storyteller describe the purpose of his stories at the end?
4. How do Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen steal the Sampo?
5. How does Vainamoinen convince Ilmarinen to help him steal the Sampo in Pohja?
6. What happens after Vainamoinen tells the old man the story of the iron?
7. What happens when Vainamoinen prays for someone to cut down the enormous oak?
8. What does Kullervo do when he discovers Ilmarinen's wife's disdain for him?
9. Describe Lemminkainen and Kyllikki's arrival at Lemminkainen's home.
10. What happens when Lemminkainen happens upon the home of Louhi on his way to Pohja?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)