|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Vainamoinen escape from the Underworld?
(a) He transforms himself into a small snake-like animal.
(b) He wrestles with the three-headed dog that guards the entrance to the Underworld.
(c) He defeats Vipunen in single combat.
(d) He offers to marry the Daughter of the Underworld.
2. What does the person who comes to meet Vainamoinen say that Vainamoinen's purpose is when he arrives back home?
(a) To marry Louhi.
(b) To defeat Ilmarinen.
(c) To seek an alliance with Annikki.
(d) To marry the Maid of Pohja.
3. Which tree does Vainamoinen leave standing?
(a) The laurel.
(b) The birch.
(c) The oak.
(d) The aspen.
4. What was the Water-Mother's name before she became the Water-Mother?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
(b) Daughter of the Air.
5. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
(d) Aino's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
2. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
3. Whom does Lemminkainen resolve to win?
4. Which tree agrees to Sampsa's proposal to cut the tree down?
5. Where does Vainamoinen's mother suggest he look for a bride?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
2. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
3. What happens when Vainamoinen prays for someone to cut down the enormous oak?
4. What happens when Vainamoinen tells Aino to wear jewelry?
5. What happens when Lemminkainen and the Lord of Pohja start a conjuring duel?
6. Describe Vainamoinen's birth.
7. How does Vainamoinen convince Vipunen to tell him the three magic words?
8. What additional challenges does Louhi assign to Lemminkainen?
9. How is Lemminkainen entertained at the wedding?
10. What happens after Vainamoinen tells the old man the story of the iron?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)