|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lemmenkainen decide to do after he is reassembled and brought back to life?
(a) He takes his magic cloak back to Louhi's house.
(b) He resolves to marry Louhi's daughter at any cost.
(c) He decides to live with his mother.
(d) He resolves to revenge himself on Markahattu.
2. What does Lemmenkainen demand of Louhi after he banishes the storytellers?
(a) He wants to know the secret of her immortality.
(b) He wants her to give him her daughter in marriage.
(c) He wants to know how to get rid of Markahattu.
(d) He wants to know who he will marry.
3. What occasion marks the end of Lemminkainen and Kyllikki's happiness?
(a) Kyllikki betrays Lemminkainen with Vainamoinen.
(b) Lemmenkainen abandons Kyllikki on an island.
(c) Kyllikki tells Lemmenkainen's enemies the secret of his vulnerability.
(d) Kyllikki goes dancing and Lemmenkainen confronts her.
4. What does the person who comes to meet Vainamoinen say that Vainamoinen's purpose is when he arrives back home?
(a) To marry the Maid of Pohja.
(b) To marry Louhi.
(c) To seek an alliance with Annikki.
(d) To defeat Ilmarinen.
5. Where does Lemminkainen take his new bride?
(a) To the seaside.
(b) To the land of Pohja.
(c) Home to his hovel.
(d) Home to his castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
2. What is happening when the Water-Mother experiences an upsurge of energy?
3. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
4. Who impregnates the Water-Mother?
5. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Louhi ensure that there will be enough beer?
2. How is the ox prepared for the wedding feast?
3. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
4. How does Marjetta lose and then find her baby?
5. Describe Lemminkainen and Kyllikki's arrival at Lemminkainen's home.
6. What happens after Vainamoinen refuses to cease working at his blacksmith's shop inside of Vipunen?
7. What happens after Vainamoinen is rescued by the eagle?
8. Describe how Lemminkainen's mother brings him back to life.
9. How does Vainamoinen kill the pike and what does he do with it after he kills it?
10. Where does Lemminkainen hide from Louhi's army, and what is it like there?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)