|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Joukahainen's mother's reaction to Aino's marriage to Vainamoinen?
(a) She is delighted that Aino will be married to someone of such repute.
(b) She is envious of her daughter's good fortune.
(c) She is furious that Aino will be married to her enemy.
(d) She is distraught that Aino will be married to an old man.
2. How does Vainamoinen escape from the Underworld?
(a) He wrestles with the three-headed dog that guards the entrance to the Underworld.
(b) He transforms himself into a small snake-like animal.
(c) He defeats Vipunen in single combat.
(d) He offers to marry the Daughter of the Underworld.
3. What does Vainamoinen resolve to build at the beginning of Part 16?
(a) A tampo.
(b) A boat.
(c) A cave.
(d) A tree.
4. What is happening when the Water-Mother experiences an upsurge of energy?
(a) The Maid of Pohja is singing to her.
(b) Monsters are swallowing the sun.
(c) The small bird's eggs are hatching on her knee.
(d) Lemminkainen is being born.
5. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
(a) To the mountains.
(b) To the land of Pohja.
(c) To his mother.
(d) To the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sets out the series of tasks Vainamoinen must complete if he is going to marry?
2. What was the Water-Mother's name before she became the Water-Mother?
3. What does Lemmenkainen demand of Louhi after he banishes the storytellers?
4. What kind of tree does Vainamoinen plant?
5. What does Vainamoinen catch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Louhi ensure that there will be enough beer?
2. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
3. What happens after Vainamoinen tells the old man the story of the iron?
4. What does Vainamoinen suggest when the Old Man says that Marjetta's son must be tested before he can be baptized?
5. How does Ilmarinen end up with another of Louhi's daughters?
6. Describe how Lemminkainen's mother brings him back to life.
7. What happens when Joukahainen finally spots Vainamoinen crossing the ocean?
8. How do Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen steal the Sampo?
9. How do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen liberate the sun and moon from the cave?
10. What happens when Vainamoinen tells Aino to wear jewelry?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)