|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen catch?
(a) He catches a number of fish, but none of them is Aino.
(b) He catches a salmon that was in fact Aino.
(c) He catches Aino, who tells him a new technique for catching fish.
(d) He catches a fish that tells him how to catch Aino.
2. What does Lemminkainen tell his bride when he arrives where he takes her?
(a) He tells her the conditions she has to meet for him to free her.
(b) He threatens to kill her if she tries to escape.
(c) He tells her why he abducted her.
(d) He promises to build her a bigger house.
3. What does Aino do in response to Vainamoinen's request?
(a) She refuses to renounce her family.
(b) She offers to betray her brother.
(c) She renounces her father.
(d) She drops her jewelry on the ground and runs home.
4. What does Ilmarinen ride off on, after he finds out where Vainamoinen is going?
(a) A crow's back.
(b) A hand-made boat.
(c) A magic sledge.
(d) A magic carpet.
5. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Vainamoinen where he is sailing?
2. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
3. How does Vainamoinen escape from the Underworld?
4. Who comes to the shore to see who has arrived there?
5. Which tree agrees to Sampsa's proposal to cut the tree down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen tell his friends when he arrives home?
2. Describe Lemminkainen's courtship of Kyllikki.
3. What happens after Vainamoinen tells the old man the story of the iron?
4. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
5. What does Vainamoinen suggest when the Old Man says that Marjetta's son must be tested before he can be baptized?
6. How does Ilmarinen's wife express her distaste for Kullervo?
7. How does the Storyteller describe the purpose of his stories at the end?
8. What additional challenges does Louhi assign to Lemminkainen?
9. What do the people tell the Maid of Pohja about marriage?
10. How does Vainamoinen convince Vipunen to tell him the three magic words?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)