|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
2. What prayer does Lemmenkainen make after his snowshoes break?
(a) He prays that no hunters will hunt for elk in this forest.
(b) He prays that Kyllikki will leave him alone.
(c) He prays for Louhi's daughter's hand in marriage.
(d) He prays for the intelligence to outwit the elk.
3. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
4. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
(a) She tells him where to find him.
(b) She tells him the secret of Vainamoinen's vulnerability.
(c) She tells him not to do it.
(d) She tells him where to aim.
5. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
(d) Aino's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
2. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
3. Who helps Lemmenkainen's mother reassemble Lemmenkainen's body?
4. What is the little maid doing when she hears Vainamoinen?
5. What name is the Water-Mother given?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ilmarinen finds that his new bride has amused herself with another man while Ilmarinen was sleeping?
2. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
3. How does Vainamoinen make pearls by playing the kantele?
4. What does Kullervo do when he discovers Ilmarinen's wife's disdain for him?
5. Who tries to play the kantele Vainamoinen makes?
6. What kind of stories does Joukahainen tell?
7. What happens after Kullervo slaughters Untamo's family?`
8. How does Louhi get revenge for the loss of the Sampo?
9. What reputation does Vainamoinen acquire over time?
10. What does the Maid of Pohja dream, and what does her dream signify?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)