|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
(a) Shapes it into a series of tools.
(b) Builds a house.
(c) Builds a lodge.
(d) Shapes it into a boat.
2. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
(a) He tricks her into coming to his hut.
(b) He bribes the Creator.
(c) He bribes the woman's brother.
(d) He takes a job as a shepherd.
3. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
(a) He is anxious to make an alliance with Vainamoinen.
(b) He is full of admiration.
(c) He is jealousy and resentful.
(d) He wants to repay Vainamoinen for the indignities he suffered.
4. What does Vainamoinen tell Louhi in response to her request?
(a) He tells Louhi that he does not want to marry her daughter.
(b) He tells Louhi that he knows someone who can do what she wants done.
(c) He tells Louhi that what she asks cannot be done.
(d) He does what she asks and marries her daughter.
5. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
(c) Aino's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen do when he agrees to take what Joukahainen offers?
2. Where does Lemminkainen take his new bride?
3. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
4. What does Aino tell her mother when her mother asks about Aino's walk with Vainamoinen?
5. When Vainamoinen's finally arrives at his destination, how is his arrival first announced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kullervo do when he discovers Ilmarinen's wife's disdain for him?
2. How does Louhi get revenge for the loss of the Sampo?
3. How does Vainamoinen kill the pike and what does he do with it after he kills it?
4. Describe Lemminkainen's elk hunt.
5. What happens when Lemminkainen happens upon the home of Louhi on his way to Pohja?
6. What does Vainamoinen suggest when the Old Man says that Marjetta's son must be tested before he can be baptized?
7. What does Louhi say she wants in return for giving Vainamoinen safe passage home?
8. What does Vainamoinen tell his friends when he arrives home?
9. What does Annikki do when she sees Vainamoinen sailing for Pohja?
10. How does Vainamoinen convince Vipunen to tell him the three magic words?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)