|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(a) A very small man.
(c) Two farmers.
2. Who collects the chips that come from cutting down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
3. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
(a) The method for making better ships.
(b) The secret of immortality.
(c) That mortals are rarely allowed to leave.
(d) The wisdom of the gods.
4. What does Vainamoinen ride on his journey?
(a) A magical salmon.
(b) A magical elk.
(c) An burro.
(d) A magical crow.
5. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
(a) He slanders Joukahainen to the other listeners.
(b) He kills Joukahainen with a sword.
(c) He runs and hides himself away.
(d) He causes a swamp to rise up around Joukahainen.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Vainamoinen's finally arrives at his destination, how is his arrival first announced?
2. What does the water mother's baby do when he is born?
3. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
4. What does Lemmenkainen decide to do after he is reassembled and brought back to life?
5. What happens when the eagle drops Vainamoinen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vainamoinen kill the pike and what does he do with it after he kills it?
2. How does Vainamoinen convince Ilmarinen to help him steal the Sampo in Pohja?
3. Describe Lemminkainen and Kyllikki's arrival at Lemminkainen's home.
4. Where does Lemminkainen hide from Louhi's army, and what is it like there?
5. What reputation does Vainamoinen acquire over time?
6. How does Kullervo end up being sold to Ilmarinen?
7. Describe Vainamoinen's birth.
8. How do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen liberate the sun and moon from the cave?
9. How does Ilmarinen fix the destruction caused by the light the Creator sent down to earth when the sun and moon were stolen?
10. How does Vainamoinen convince Vipunen to tell him the three magic words?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)