|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
(a) The secret of immortality.
(b) That mortals are rarely allowed to leave.
(c) The wisdom of the gods.
(d) The method for making better ships.
2. Whose help does Vipunen ask for, to help him get rid of Vainamoinen?
(b) The gods.
(d) Vainamoinen's mother.
3. Where does the Storyteller get his story?
(a) From the ocean.
(b) From his parents.
(c) From a bird.
(d) From his children.
4. What kind of tree does Vainamoinen plant?
5. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joukahainen find Vainamoinen?
2. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
3. What are Joukahainen's stories like?
4. What does Vainamoinen go fishing for in part 5?
5. Who comes to the shore to see who has arrived there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the storyteller describe in the introductory stanzas?
2. How does Vainamoinen make pearls by playing the kantele?
3. How does Ilmarinen's wife express her distaste for Kullervo?
4. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
5. Describe Lemminkainen's courtship of Kyllikki.
6. What happens when Vainamoinen tries to help the oak grow?
7. Why does Vainamoinen go down to the underworld?
8. Describe how Lemminkainen's mother brings him back to life.
9. What happens after Vainamoinen tells the old man the story of the iron?
10. What happens after Vainamoinen refuses to cease working at his blacksmith's shop inside of Vipunen?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)