|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Lemmenkainen capture the elk after his snowshoes break?
(a) The gods of the forest.
(b) Louhi's daughter's governess.
(c) The god of the dark cave.
(d) The gods of the mountains.
2. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen agree to do when they arrive where they are going?
(a) They agree to fight to the death.
(b) They agree not to fight over the Maid of Pohja's hand.
(c) They agree to let the Maid of Pohja choose between them.
(d) They agree to gamble for the Maid of Pohja's hand.
3. Where does Joukahainen find Vainamoinen?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In the forest.
(c) In the desert.
(d) Crossing the ocean.
4. What does Lemmenkainen's mother ask of Ilmarinen?
(a) She asks him to build her a Sampo.
(b) She asks him to make a rake for her.
(c) She asks him for a potion that will heal Lemmenkainen.
(d) She asks him to knit Lemmenkainen back together.
5. What does Lemmenkainen decide to do after he is reassembled and brought back to life?
(a) He decides to live with his mother.
(b) He resolves to marry Louhi's daughter at any cost.
(c) He takes his magic cloak back to Louhi's house.
(d) He resolves to revenge himself on Markahattu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lemminkainen tell his bride when he arrives where he takes her?
2. What does Vainamoinen catch?
3. What name is the Water-Mother given?
4. Who is not banished from the fire by Lemmenkainen's magical songs?
5. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Vainamoinen tells Aino to wear jewelry?
2. Where does Lemminkainen hide from Louhi's army, and what is it like there?
3. How does Vainamoinen convince Vipunen to tell him the three magic words?
4. What does the Maid of Pohja dream, and what does her dream signify?
5. Describe Lemminkainen and Kyllikki's arrival at Lemminkainen's home.
6. What happens when Joukahainen finally spots Vainamoinen crossing the ocean?
7. What happens when Vainamoinen tries to help the oak grow?
8. How does Marjetta lose and then find her baby?
9. What happens when Vainamoinen disapproves of Joukahainen's stories?
10. What happens when the Daughter of the Air comes to earth?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)