|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
(a) He waits for Lemmenkainen outside.
(b) He accuses Lemmenkainen of witchcraft.
(c) He returns to the room with a knife.
(d) He gathers the others and arranges an ambush.
2. Where does Joukahainen find Vainamoinen?
(a) In the desert.
(b) Crossing the ocean.
(c) In the forest.
(d) On the beach.
3. What happens after Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
(a) Vainamoinen dies on the beach.
(b) Vainamoinen saves the arrows for his revenge.
(c) Vainamoinen dies in the forest.
(d) Vainamoinen swims for his life.
4. What name is the Water-Mother given?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
(d) Earth Mother.
5. What happens when Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
(a) His first shot kills Vainamoinen.
(b) His second shot kills Vainamoinen.
(c) His third shot kills the magical elk.
(d) His mother intervenes to protect Vainamoinen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lemminkainen take his new bride?
2. What does Joukahainen do when he meets Vainamoinen?
3. Who impregnates the Water-Mother?
4. What is Joukahainen's mother's reaction to Aino's marriage to Vainamoinen?
5. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen suggest when the Old Man says that Marjetta's son must be tested before he can be baptized?
2. What happens when Joukahainen finally spots Vainamoinen crossing the ocean?
3. What do Marjetta's parents do when Marjetta gets pregnant?
4. How does the Storyteller describe the purpose of his stories at the end?
5. What tasks does the Maid of Pohja demand of Vainamoinen when he proposes to her?
6. What reputation does Vainamoinen acquire over time?
7. What does Louhi say she wants in return for giving Vainamoinen safe passage home?
8. How does Vainamoinen convince Vipunen to tell him the three magic words?
9. How does Vainamoinen heal his people from Louhi's revenge?
10. How do Joukahainen's mother and sister feel about the deal Joukahainen struck with Vainamoinen?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)