|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
(a) That mortals are rarely allowed to leave.
(b) The wisdom of the gods.
(c) The method for making better ships.
(d) The secret of immortality.
2. What is Joukahainen's mother's reaction to Aino's marriage to Vainamoinen?
(a) She is distraught that Aino will be married to an old man.
(b) She is furious that Aino will be married to her enemy.
(c) She is delighted that Aino will be married to someone of such repute.
(d) She is envious of her daughter's good fortune.
3. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
(a) She tells him the secret of Vainamoinen's vulnerability.
(b) She tells him not to do it.
(c) She tells him where to aim.
(d) She tells him where to find him.
4. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
(a) He takes a job as a shepherd.
(b) He bribes the woman's brother.
(c) He bribes the Creator.
(d) He tricks her into coming to his hut.
5. What prayer does Lemmenkainen make after his snowshoes break?
(a) He prays that no hunters will hunt for elk in this forest.
(b) He prays for the intelligence to outwit the elk.
(c) He prays for Louhi's daughter's hand in marriage.
(d) He prays that Kyllikki will leave him alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen resolve to build at the beginning of Part 16?
2. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
3. What is happening when the Water-Mother experiences an upsurge of energy?
4. What does Vainamoinen tell Louhi in response to her request?
5. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lemminkainen sees the fires from Pohja?
2. What happens when the Daughter of the Air comes to earth?
3. What happens when Ilmarinen tried to fashion a new wife for himself?
4. How does Vainamoinen convince Ilmarinen to help him steal the Sampo in Pohja?
5. What additional challenges does Louhi assign to Lemminkainen?
6. How is Lemminkainen entertained at the wedding?
7. How does the Storyteller describe the purpose of his stories at the end?
8. What does Louhi say she wants in return for giving Vainamoinen safe passage home?
9. How do Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen steal the Sampo?
10. What happens when Vainamoinen goes to the underworld?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)