|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Aino's mother console her when Aino is crying about marrying Vainamoinen?
(a) She introduces Aino to the transcendent nature of family.
(b) She tells Aino that this will be the perfect opportunity for the family to take revenge.
(c) She reminds Aino that she left her own home when she married.
(d) She says that her family's home is not the only place where flowers bloom.
2. What does Louhi ask from Vainamoinen in return for her help?
(a) She asks him to marry her daughter.
(b) She asks him to ride a magic horse.
(c) She asks him to tame the man-eating horses.
(d) She asks him to build a grinder.
3. Who comes after the Water-Mother prays for relief?
(a) A small bird.
(c) The Maid of Pohja.
4. Who asks Vainamoinen where he is sailing?
(a) The maid of Pohja.
5. What does Vainamoinen build to convince Vipunen to tell him what he wants to know?
(a) A grinder.
(b) A castle.
(c) A hovel.
(d) A forge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose help does Vipunen ask for, to help him get rid of Vainamoinen?
2. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
3. What does Lemmenkainen's mother ask of Ilmarinen?
4. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
5. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen liberate the sun and moon from the cave?
2. What happens when the Daughter of the Air comes to earth?
3. What happens after Vainamoinen refuses to cease working at his blacksmith's shop inside of Vipunen?
4. How does Ilmarinen fix the destruction caused by the light the Creator sent down to earth when the sun and moon were stolen?
5. What kind of stories does Joukahainen tell?
6. What happens when Joukahainen prepares to hunt down Vainamoinen?
7. What happens when Joukahainen finally spots Vainamoinen crossing the ocean?
8. What reputation does Vainamoinen acquire over time?
9. Describe Vainamoinen's birth.
10. How do Joukahainen's mother and sister feel about the deal Joukahainen struck with Vainamoinen?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)