|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Louhi get her revenge for the theft of the Sampo?
(a) The Creator.
(b) An old man.
(d) A storm.
2. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
(a) The moon.
(d) Smaller fish.
3. Who helps the young maiden brew beer?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
(d) A bear and a bee.
4. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
(a) A boat.
(b) An army.
(d) A seagull.
5. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
(a) He cuts the Lord of Pohja's cheek with a carving knife.
(b) He beats the Lord of Pohja in the head with a mallet.
(c) He cuts it off and throws it in the sea.
(d) He cuts it off and puts it on a pole in the courtyard.
6. What does the Lord of Pohja offer Lemminkainen after Lemminkainen complains about the food?
(a) A stream to drink from.
(b) A shield.
(c) A drinking cup.
(d) A bride.
7. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
(a) His parents and his friends have all died.
(b) His family is older and he does not recognize them.
(c) Much of what he remembers has been destroyed.
(d) Everything has been improved and modernized.
8. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
(a) He says that he made her and now he has to live with her.
(b) He says that he can fix her.
(c) He says she is not the right woman for him.
(d) He says she is ugly and he is ashamed of himself for making her.
9. What does Untamo ultimately do with Kullervo?
(a) He turns him into a goat.
(b) He teaches him to hunt.
(c) He leaves him on an island.
(d) He sells him to Ilmarinen.
10. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
(a) Gathering berries.
(b) Picking flowers.
(c) Washing clothes in a river.
(d) Washing her hair.
11. What does Kullervo's mother tell him after she hears about the woman he seduced?
(a) She tells him to introduce her to the girl's parents.
(b) She tells him to take the girl to Untamo.
(c) She tells him to marry the girl.
(d) She tells him to go away.
12. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
(a) One of Louhi's daughters.
(d) An old man.
13. When does Kullervo's mother die?
(a) While he is pleading with her for permission to leave.
(b) While he is at war with Untamo.
(c) While he is looking for the meaning of his life.
(d) While he is on his way home from the sea.
14. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
(a) He kidnaps her.
(b) He threatens her.
(c) He sings to her.
(d) He promises her jewelry.
15. Where does Ilmarinen get help to heal his wounds?
(a) From the ocean.
(b) From the giant fish.
(c) From the land of Pohja.
(d) From Vainamoinen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Kullervo that his family still lives while he is wandering through the forest?
2. Where do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen go to look for the flame the Creator sends?
3. What does the character do who is not welcome at the wedding?
4. Whom does Louhi capture and lock up in a cave?
5. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)