|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen ask Louhi for the Sampo?
(a) She disappears.
(b) She gives it to them with one of her daughters in marriage.
(c) She conjures a spell to put them to sleep.
(d) She refuses to give it to them.
2. Whom does Vainamoinen toast at the wedding?
(d) The Maid of Pohja.
3. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
(a) He invents tools for every little task.
(b) He changes how everything is done.
(c) He damages everything he touches.
(d) He whips everything into shape.
4. Whom does Louhi capture and lock up in a cave?
(a) Ilmarinen and her daughter.
(b) The creator and the old man.
(c) The sun and moon.
(d) Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen.
5. Who helps Louhi get her revenge for the theft of the Sampo?
(b) The Creator.
(c) A storm.
(d) An old man.
6. What does the character do who is not welcome at the wedding?
(a) He makes a scene by telling ominous stories.
(b) He complains to Vainamoinen.
(c) He threatens Vainamoinen with violence.
(d) He gets angry and prepares to go away.
7. How does Ilmarinen punish Louhi's daughter?
(a) He turns her into a seabird.
(b) He eats her.
(c) He tells vicious stories about her.
(d) He throws her out into the cold without clothes.
8. What happens on the first morning when Ilmarinen wakes up next to the woman he created?
(a) She is angry that he did not make her complete.
(b) She is cold and unresponsive.
(c) She is confused to discover herself.
(d) She is happy to see him, and grateful to him.
9. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
(a) An old man.
(d) One of Louhi's daughters.
10. What does the Lord of Pohja offer Lemminkainen after Lemminkainen complains about the food?
(a) A shield.
(b) A drinking cup.
(c) A stream to drink from.
(d) A bride.
11. What does Ilmarinen use to make himself a new wife?
(a) Water and seaweed.
(b) Sticks and mud.
(c) Silver and gold.
(d) Grease and herbs.
12. What happens after Vainamoinen reaches the cave where Louhi is keeping her prisoners?
(a) He is overcome by a giant dog.
(b) He cannot break the locks at first.
(c) He uses magic to free the prisoners.
(d) He frees Louhi's daughter.
13. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
(a) The Daughter of Louhi.
(d) His sister.
14. How do people respond to Vainamoinen's singing?
(a) They go to their homes.
(b) They go into a frenzy.
(c) They begin to weep.
(d) They sing his songs to their children.
15. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
(a) A crow.
(b) A heron.
(c) A storm.
(d) A pike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louhi tell Ilmarinen when he returns to Pohja?
2. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
3. What do Vainamoinen and his people do with the beast(s) Louhi sends to attack them?
4. What does Louhi send to attack Vainamoinen after the plagues?
5. Where does Ilmarinen get help to heal his wounds?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)