|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ilmarinen's wife, the Daughter of Louhi, express her dislike for Kullervo?
(a) She bakes a stone into his loaf of bread.
(b) She dulls the blades of his knives.
(c) She drills holes in his shoes.
(d) She spreads rumors about him.
2. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
(a) A heron.
(b) A pike.
(c) A storm.
(d) A crow.
3. Who is explicitly not invited to the wedding of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
4. How do Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen get the Sampo from Louhi?
(a) They trick her into giving it to them.
(b) They lull her to sleep.
(c) They kill her and her soldiers.
(d) They win it from her while playing dice.
5. Where does Ilmarinen get help to heal his wounds?
(a) From the land of Pohja.
(b) From the ocean.
(c) From the giant fish.
(d) From Vainamoinen.
6. Who helps the young maiden brew beer?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
(b) A bear and a bee.
7. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
(a) An old man.
(b) One of Louhi's daughters.
8. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
(a) Everything has been improved and modernized.
(b) His family is older and he does not recognize them.
(c) Much of what he remembers has been destroyed.
(d) His parents and his friends have all died.
9. What do Lemminkainen, Ilmarinen, and the oarsmen and maidens propose to do with the thing Vainamoinen makes from the pike?
(a) Set it on fire.
(b) Use it to trap Louhi's daughters.
(c) Brew beer with it.
(d) Throw it into the sea.
10. What does the Lord of Pohja offer Lemminkainen after Lemminkainen complains about the food?
(a) A shield.
(b) A bride.
(c) A drinking cup.
(d) A stream to drink from.
11. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
(a) He cuts the Lord of Pohja's cheek with a carving knife.
(b) He beats the Lord of Pohja in the head with a mallet.
(c) He cuts it off and puts it on a pole in the courtyard.
(d) He cuts it off and throws it in the sea.
12. What does Ilmarinen make to help him achieve the task he wants Vainamoinen to help him with?
(a) A boat.
(b) A sword.
(c) A woman.
(d) A grinder.
13. How does Kullervo speak about his family when his mother asks him not to leave?
14. What does Louhi's daughter do when she and Ilmarinen stop for the night?
(a) She writes to her mother.
(b) She convinces men in the inn to murder Ilmarinen.
(c) She carries on with another man.
(d) She escapes.
15. What happens when Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen ask Louhi for the Sampo?
(a) She gives it to them with one of her daughters in marriage.
(b) She conjures a spell to put them to sleep.
(c) She disappears.
(d) She refuses to give it to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
2. What does Untamo ultimately do with Kullervo?
3. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
4. Where does Lemminkainen hide after the wedding feast?
5. How does Ilmarinen punish Louhi's daughter?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)