|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
(a) The Daughter of Louhi.
(c) His sister.
2. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
(a) Everything has been improved and modernized.
(b) His parents and his friends have all died.
(c) His family is older and he does not recognize them.
(d) Much of what he remembers has been destroyed.
3. What do Vainamoinen's tears turn into after they drop into the sea?
4. Who survives Untamo's attack on Kalervo's home?
(a) A pregnant woman.
(d) The daughter of Louhi.
5. What does Lemminkainen say when he arrives at the wedding feast?
(a) He curses the bride and groom.
(b) He challenges Vainamoinen to a fight.
(c) He threatens the Maid of Pohja.
(d) He demands to be greeted and fed properly.
6. How does Kullervo speak about his family when his mother asks him not to leave?
7. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
(a) Washing clothes in a river.
(b) Washing her hair.
(c) Picking flowers.
(d) Gathering berries.
8. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
(b) A boat.
(c) An army.
(d) A seagull.
9. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
(a) They tell her that she is safer now that she is a woman and can answer her husband's authority with her own.
(b) They tell her that she is in charge of her mother's household now in addition to her husband's.
(c) They tell her that she must bear children within the first year in order to have a happy marriage.
(d) She is told that she will never feel as safe in her husband's home as she was in her family's.
10. What causes Lemminkainen to rush home to Pohja?
(a) Messengers from Louhi.
(b) A flock of seagulls.
(d) A flock of crows.
11. What do Lemminkainen, Ilmarinen, and the oarsmen and maidens propose to do with the thing Vainamoinen makes from the pike?
(a) Brew beer with it.
(b) Throw it into the sea.
(c) Use it to trap Louhi's daughters.
(d) Set it on fire.
12. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
(a) He burns down Kullervo's home.
(b) He kills Kullervo's beloved.
(c) He tortures Kullervo.
(d) He gives Kullervo menial jobs.
13. What does Vainamoinen try to convince Ilmarinen to help him do?
(a) Steal a different daughter from Louhi.
(b) Steal the Sampo from Pohja.
(c) Revenge himself on the daughter of Louhi.
(d) Steal jewels from Louhi.
14. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
(a) He says that he can fix her.
(b) He says she is ugly and he is ashamed of himself for making her.
(c) He says that he made her and now he has to live with her.
(d) He says she is not the right woman for him.
15. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
(a) As a pike.
(b) As a bear.
(c) As a giant eagle.
(d) As a storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Untamo ultimately do with Kullervo?
2. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
3. What does Kullervo's mother tell him after she hears about the woman he seduced?
4. What does Ilmarinen use to make himself a new wife?
5. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)