|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
(a) A storm.
(b) A crow.
(c) A pike.
(d) A heron.
2. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The forge.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The forest.
3. Where does Lemminkainen hide after the wedding feast?
(a) On an island of women.
(b) In a new country to the west.
(c) In a chest in his mother's bedroom.
(d) In a closet off of of his mother's kitchen.
4. What does Louhi's daughter do when Ilmarinen takes her with him?
(a) Bemoans her fate.
(b) Plots to kill Ilmarinen.
(c) Tries to escape.
(d) Falls in love with Ilmarinen.
5. Where do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen go to look for the flame the Creator sends?
(a) In the ocean.
(b) At the bottom of a vast lake.
(c) In the forest.
(d) In the heavens.
6. What does Louhi see Ilmarinen making that causes her to set her prisoners free?
(a) A woman to replace her.
(b) A poison sweetbread for her.
(c) A magic sword to kill her.
(d) A collar and chains to bind her.
7. Who helps Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen catch the giant fish?
(a) An old man.
(c) The Creator.
(d) A dwarf.
8. Whom does Lemminkainen seek out to help him get revenge on the armies that had pursued him?
(b) The Storyteller.
9. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
(a) An oar.
(b) A harp.
(c) A sword.
(d) A grinder.
10. What do Vainamoinen's tears turn into after they drop into the sea?
11. Who is explicitly not invited to the wedding of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
12. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
(a) His family is older and he does not recognize them.
(b) Everything has been improved and modernized.
(c) Much of what he remembers has been destroyed.
(d) His parents and his friends have all died.
13. Who survives Untamo's attack on Kalervo's home?
(b) A pregnant woman.
(c) The daughter of Louhi.
14. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
(a) He hides his money carefully.
(b) He makes sure to bring all his weapons.
(c) He gets quiet and afraid, and reconsiders his decision.
(d) He boasts about how he will overcome each encounter.
15. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
(a) He kills Kullervo's beloved.
(b) He burns down Kullervo's home.
(c) He gives Kullervo menial jobs.
(d) He tortures Kullervo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
2. What song is sung at the end of the feast?
3. What does Louhi do to get revenge on Lemminkainen for what Lemminkainen did to the Lord of Pohja?
4. What happens when Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen ask Louhi for the Sampo?
5. Whom does Louhi capture and lock up in a cave?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)