|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen get the Sampo from Louhi?
(a) They kill her and her soldiers.
(b) They lull her to sleep.
(c) They win it from her while playing dice.
(d) They trick her into giving it to them.
2. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
(a) He gives Kullervo menial jobs.
(b) He burns down Kullervo's home.
(c) He tortures Kullervo.
(d) He kills Kullervo's beloved.
3. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
(a) He poisons her.
(b) He convinces Ilmarinen to disavow her.
(c) He leads an army against her palace and besieges her.
(d) He contrives to have her devoured by beasts of his own devising.
4. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
(a) He says that he can fix her.
(b) He says she is ugly and he is ashamed of himself for making her.
(c) He says she is not the right woman for him.
(d) He says that he made her and now he has to live with her.
5. How does Vainamoinen keep Louhi and her soldiers from catching up with him and Lemminkainen and Ilmarinen?
(a) He tricks them into going the wrong direction.
(b) He sings them to sleep.
(c) He conjures a reef on which their ship wrecks.
(d) He kills them with his sword.
6. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
(a) Beer is prepared.
(b) Songs are taught to the musicians.
(c) An ox is butchered.
(d) A butcher is taught how to butcher an ox.
7. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
(a) Getting the invitations out.
(b) Keeping the guests in line.
(c) Having enough beer.
(d) Having too many guests.
8. What does Louhi's daughter do when she and Ilmarinen stop for the night?
(a) She escapes.
(b) She convinces men in the inn to murder Ilmarinen.
(c) She carries on with another man.
(d) She writes to her mother.
9. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
(a) He invents tools for every little task.
(b) He whips everything into shape.
(c) He changes how everything is done.
(d) He damages everything he touches.
10. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
(a) A harp.
(b) A grinder.
(c) A sword.
(d) An oar.
11. What happens after Vainamoinen reaches the cave where Louhi is keeping her prisoners?
(a) He uses magic to free the prisoners.
(b) He cannot break the locks at first.
(c) He is overcome by a giant dog.
(d) He frees Louhi's daughter.
12. What does Ilmarinen make to help him achieve the task he wants Vainamoinen to help him with?
(a) A grinder.
(b) A sword.
(c) A boat.
(d) A woman.
13. What does Louhi do when she finds that the Sampo is gone?
(a) She sends fish to swallow the thieves.
(b) She sends storms after the thieves.
(c) She uses her magic to bring it back.
(d) She builds another one.
14. What does Lemminkainen find in his food at the wedding feast?
(b) Cream filling.
15. Whom does Lemminkainen seek out to help him get revenge on the armies that had pursued him?
(b) The Storyteller.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
2. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
3. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
4. What does Louhi send to attack Vainamoinen after the plagues?
5. Who tells Kullervo that his family still lives while he is wandering through the forest?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)