|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Louhi do when she finds that the Sampo is gone?
(a) She builds another one.
(b) She sends storms after the thieves.
(c) She uses her magic to bring it back.
(d) She sends fish to swallow the thieves.
2. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
(a) A butcher is taught how to butcher an ox.
(b) Beer is prepared.
(c) Songs are taught to the musicians.
(d) An ox is butchered.
3. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
(a) Gathering berries.
(b) Washing clothes in a river.
(c) Washing her hair.
(d) Picking flowers.
4. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
(a) Old women of the household.
5. Whom does Louhi capture and lock up in a cave?
(a) Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen.
(b) The sun and moon.
(c) Ilmarinen and her daughter.
(d) The creator and the old man.
6. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
(b) His sister.
(d) The Daughter of Louhi.
7. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
(a) A sword.
(b) An oar.
(c) A harp.
(d) A grinder.
8. What do Vainamoinen and his people do with the beast(s) Louhi sends to attack them?
(a) They tame the dog and teach it to hunt.
(b) They kill the crows with stones.
(c) They kill the bear and eat it.
(d) They capture the bees in trees and make mead from their honey.
9. How does Ilmarinen punish Louhi's daughter?
(a) He turns her into a seabird.
(b) He eats her.
(c) He throws her out into the cold without clothes.
(d) He tells vicious stories about her.
10. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
(a) An army.
(c) A seagull.
(d) A boat.
11. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
(a) They lose their way after Frost freezes their boat in the water.
(b) They kill the ferryman who could have taken them into Pohja.
(c) They meet with mermaids who prophecy their fate.
(d) They are drowned on their way to Pohja.
12. How does Ilmarinen's wife, the Daughter of Louhi, express her dislike for Kullervo?
(a) She dulls the blades of his knives.
(b) She spreads rumors about him.
(c) She drills holes in his shoes.
(d) She bakes a stone into his loaf of bread.
13. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
(a) As a bear.
(b) As a giant eagle.
(c) As a pike.
(d) As a storm.
14. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
(a) He cuts the Lord of Pohja's cheek with a carving knife.
(b) He cuts it off and puts it on a pole in the courtyard.
(c) He cuts it off and throws it in the sea.
(d) He beats the Lord of Pohja in the head with a mallet.
15. Where does Ilmarinen get help to heal his wounds?
(a) From the land of Pohja.
(b) From Vainamoinen.
(c) From the giant fish.
(d) From the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allows Lemminkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen to pass through the waterfall?
2. What does Lemminkainen say when he arrives at the wedding feast?
3. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
4. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
5. How do Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen get the Sampo from Louhi?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)