|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
(a) Beer is prepared.
(b) A butcher is taught how to butcher an ox.
(c) An ox is butchered.
(d) Songs are taught to the musicians.
2. What does Ilmarinen make to help him achieve the task he wants Vainamoinen to help him with?
(a) A woman.
(b) A grinder.
(c) A boat.
(d) A sword.
3. Who helps Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen catch the giant fish?
(a) A dwarf.
(b) An old man.
(c) The Creator.
4. What happens on the first morning when Ilmarinen wakes up next to the woman he created?
(a) She is happy to see him, and grateful to him.
(b) She is confused to discover herself.
(c) She is angry that he did not make her complete.
(d) She is cold and unresponsive.
5. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
(a) Old women of the household.
6. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
(a) The possibility that he will never return.
(b) The danger of his absence in his father's illness.
(c) The insult he is giving to Vainamoinen.
(d) The dangers he will face on his journey.
7. What do Lemminkainen, Ilmarinen, and the oarsmen and maidens propose to do with the thing Vainamoinen makes from the pike?
(a) Set it on fire.
(b) Use it to trap Louhi's daughters.
(c) Throw it into the sea.
(d) Brew beer with it.
8. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
(a) A grinder.
(b) A sword.
(c) A harp.
(d) An oar.
9. What does Lemminkainen say when he arrives at the wedding feast?
(a) He threatens the Maid of Pohja.
(b) He demands to be greeted and fed properly.
(c) He curses the bride and groom.
(d) He challenges Vainamoinen to a fight.
10. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
(b) An army.
(c) A seagull.
(d) A boat.
11. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
(a) He says she is ugly and he is ashamed of himself for making her.
(b) He says that he made her and now he has to live with her.
(c) He says she is not the right woman for him.
(d) He says that he can fix her.
12. When does Kullervo's mother die?
(a) While he is pleading with her for permission to leave.
(b) While he is at war with Untamo.
(c) While he is looking for the meaning of his life.
(d) While he is on his way home from the sea.
13. What does Louhi's daughter do when Ilmarinen takes her with him?
(a) Bemoans her fate.
(b) Tries to escape.
(c) Plots to kill Ilmarinen.
(d) Falls in love with Ilmarinen.
14. How do Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen get the Sampo from Louhi?
(a) They lull her to sleep.
(b) They trick her into giving it to them.
(c) They kill her and her soldiers.
(d) They win it from her while playing dice.
15. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
(a) As a pike.
(b) As a bear.
(c) As a storm.
(d) As a giant eagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
2. Who survives Untamo's attack on Kalervo's home?
3. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
4. What does Louhi's daughter do when she and Ilmarinen stop for the night?
5. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)