|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
(a) Washing her hair.
(b) Gathering berries.
(c) Picking flowers.
(d) Washing clothes in a river.
2. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
(a) An army.
(b) A boat.
(c) A seagull.
3. What does Kullervo's mother tell him after she hears about the woman he seduced?
(a) She tells him to marry the girl.
(b) She tells him to take the girl to Untamo.
(c) She tells him to go away.
(d) She tells him to introduce her to the girl's parents.
4. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
(a) The insult he is giving to Vainamoinen.
(b) The dangers he will face on his journey.
(c) The danger of his absence in his father's illness.
(d) The possibility that he will never return.
5. Who tells Kullervo that his family still lives while he is wandering through the forest?
(a) An old woman.
(c) The Daughter of Louhi.
6. Who kills the pike when Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen run aground on the pike's back?
7. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
(a) As a giant eagle.
(b) As a bear.
(c) As a storm.
(d) As a pike.
8. Whom does Louhi capture and lock up in a cave?
(a) Ilmarinen and her daughter.
(b) The creator and the old man.
(c) Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen.
(d) The sun and moon.
9. What does Louhi's daughter do when Ilmarinen takes her with him?
(a) Plots to kill Ilmarinen.
(b) Tries to escape.
(c) Falls in love with Ilmarinen.
(d) Bemoans her fate.
10. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
(a) He sings to her.
(b) He threatens her.
(c) He promises her jewelry.
(d) He kidnaps her.
11. Who survives Untamo's attack on Kalervo's home?
(a) A pregnant woman.
(d) The daughter of Louhi.
12. What happens on the first morning when Ilmarinen wakes up next to the woman he created?
(a) She is confused to discover herself.
(b) She is cold and unresponsive.
(c) She is happy to see him, and grateful to him.
(d) She is angry that he did not make her complete.
13. What does Louhi send to attack Vainamoinen after the plagues?
(a) A bear.
(b) A giant dog.
(c) A swarm of bees.
(d) A flock of crows.
14. How does Ilmarinen punish Louhi's daughter?
(a) He tells vicious stories about her.
(b) He eats her.
(c) He throws her out into the cold without clothes.
(d) He turns her into a seabird.
15. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The forest.
(c) The forge.
(d) The ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
2. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
3. What happens when Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen ask Louhi for the Sampo?
4. Whose praises does Vainamoinen sing at Ilmarinen's home?
5. How do people respond to Vainamoinen's singing?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)