|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
(a) She is told that she will never feel as safe in her husband's home as she was in her family's.
(b) They tell her that she is safer now that she is a woman and can answer her husband's authority with her own.
(c) They tell her that she must bear children within the first year in order to have a happy marriage.
(d) They tell her that she is in charge of her mother's household now in addition to her husband's.
2. Who helps Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen catch the giant fish?
(a) An old man.
(c) A dwarf.
(d) The Creator.
3. Who helps the young maiden brew beer?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
(c) A bear and a bee.
4. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
(a) He changes how everything is done.
(b) He damages everything he touches.
(c) He invents tools for every little task.
(d) He whips everything into shape.
5. How do people respond to Vainamoinen's singing?
(a) They go into a frenzy.
(b) They go to their homes.
(c) They begin to weep.
(d) They sing his songs to their children.
6. What does Vainamoinen try to convince Ilmarinen to help him do?
(a) Steal the Sampo from Pohja.
(b) Steal a different daughter from Louhi.
(c) Steal jewels from Louhi.
(d) Revenge himself on the daughter of Louhi.
7. What do Lemminkainen, Ilmarinen, and the oarsmen and maidens propose to do with the thing Vainamoinen makes from the pike?
(a) Brew beer with it.
(b) Throw it into the sea.
(c) Set it on fire.
(d) Use it to trap Louhi's daughters.
8. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
(a) He kidnaps her.
(b) He promises her jewelry.
(c) He threatens her.
(d) He sings to her.
9. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
(a) An ox is butchered.
(b) Songs are taught to the musicians.
(c) Beer is prepared.
(d) A butcher is taught how to butcher an ox.
10. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
(b) The Daughter of Louhi.
(d) His sister.
11. Who survives Untamo's attack on Kalervo's home?
(a) The daughter of Louhi.
(c) A pregnant woman.
12. What does Untamo ultimately do with Kullervo?
(a) He leaves him on an island.
(b) He turns him into a goat.
(c) He sells him to Ilmarinen.
(d) He teaches him to hunt.
13. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
(a) Keeping the guests in line.
(b) Getting the invitations out.
(c) Having enough beer.
(d) Having too many guests.
14. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
(a) The dangers he will face on his journey.
(b) The possibility that he will never return.
(c) The danger of his absence in his father's illness.
(d) The insult he is giving to Vainamoinen.
15. What does Louhi do when she finds that the Sampo is gone?
(a) She uses her magic to bring it back.
(b) She sends fish to swallow the thieves.
(c) She sends storms after the thieves.
(d) She builds another one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
2. What does the Old Man by the Fire say about stories of children?
3. Who tells Kullervo that his family still lives while he is wandering through the forest?
4. What happens after Vainamoinen reaches the cave where Louhi is keeping her prisoners?
5. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)