|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lemminkainen find in his food at the wedding feast?
(a) Cream filling.
2. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
(a) They lose their way after Frost freezes their boat in the water.
(b) They are drowned on their way to Pohja.
(c) They kill the ferryman who could have taken them into Pohja.
(d) They meet with mermaids who prophecy their fate.
3. What do Lemminkainen, Ilmarinen, and the oarsmen and maidens propose to do with the thing Vainamoinen makes from the pike?
(a) Throw it into the sea.
(b) Brew beer with it.
(c) Use it to trap Louhi's daughters.
(d) Set it on fire.
4. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
(b) His sister.
(c) The Daughter of Louhi.
5. What does the Lord of Pohja offer Lemminkainen after Lemminkainen complains about the food?
(a) A shield.
(b) A drinking cup.
(c) A bride.
(d) A stream to drink from.
6. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
(a) He damages everything he touches.
(b) He whips everything into shape.
(c) He changes how everything is done.
(d) He invents tools for every little task.
7. What does Louhi's daughter do when she and Ilmarinen stop for the night?
(a) She escapes.
(b) She convinces men in the inn to murder Ilmarinen.
(c) She writes to her mother.
(d) She carries on with another man.
8. Who helps the young maiden brew beer?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
(b) A bear and a bee.
9. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
(a) His family is older and he does not recognize them.
(b) Everything has been improved and modernized.
(c) His parents and his friends have all died.
(d) Much of what he remembers has been destroyed.
10. What does Untamo ultimately do with Kullervo?
(a) He teaches him to hunt.
(b) He turns him into a goat.
(c) He sells him to Ilmarinen.
(d) He leaves him on an island.
11. Where does Ilmarinen get help to heal his wounds?
(a) From Vainamoinen.
(b) From the ocean.
(c) From the land of Pohja.
(d) From the giant fish.
12. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
(a) He cuts it off and puts it on a pole in the courtyard.
(b) He cuts the Lord of Pohja's cheek with a carving knife.
(c) He cuts it off and throws it in the sea.
(d) He beats the Lord of Pohja in the head with a mallet.
13. When does Kullervo's mother die?
(a) While he is at war with Untamo.
(b) While he is looking for the meaning of his life.
(c) While he is on his way home from the sea.
(d) While he is pleading with her for permission to leave.
14. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
(a) He says that he made her and now he has to live with her.
(b) He says she is not the right woman for him.
(c) He says she is ugly and he is ashamed of himself for making her.
(d) He says that he can fix her.
15. How does Ilmarinen punish Louhi's daughter?
(a) He tells vicious stories about her.
(b) He turns her into a seabird.
(c) He eats her.
(d) He throws her out into the cold without clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
2. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
3. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
4. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
5. What do Vainamoinen's tears turn into after they drop into the sea?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)