|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Louhi tell Ilmarinen when he returns to Pohja?
(a) She upbraids him for the death of her daughter.
(b) She says that he is welcome with his new bride.
(c) She says that she will not give him another daughter.
(d) She tells him that his craftsmanship is superb.
2. Where do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen go to look for the flame the Creator sends?
(a) At the bottom of a vast lake.
(b) In the forest.
(c) In the heavens.
(d) In the ocean.
3. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
(a) He says that she is going to be much more alone in the future.
(b) He tells her that she should console herself by having children.
(c) He says that she is marrying the best of men.
(d) He tells her that with luck she will escape from her husband.
4. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
(a) Having too many guests.
(b) Keeping the guests in line.
(c) Getting the invitations out.
(d) Having enough beer.
5. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
(a) The dangers he will face on his journey.
(b) The insult he is giving to Vainamoinen.
(c) The danger of his absence in his father's illness.
(d) The possibility that he will never return.
6. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
(a) One of Louhi's daughters.
(d) An old man.
7. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
(a) They tell her that she must bear children within the first year in order to have a happy marriage.
(b) They tell her that she is safer now that she is a woman and can answer her husband's authority with her own.
(c) She is told that she will never feel as safe in her husband's home as she was in her family's.
(d) They tell her that she is in charge of her mother's household now in addition to her husband's.
8. What does Vainamoinen do when he sees that Louhi has freed her prisoners?
(a) He cracks the mountain open and imprisons Louhi in it.
(b) He builds a boat and sails home.
(c) He releases Louhi from his chains.
(d) He sings a song of thanks.
9. What does Louhi see Ilmarinen making that causes her to set her prisoners free?
(a) A collar and chains to bind her.
(b) A woman to replace her.
(c) A magic sword to kill her.
(d) A poison sweetbread for her.
10. What happens on the first morning when Ilmarinen wakes up next to the woman he created?
(a) She is confused to discover herself.
(b) She is cold and unresponsive.
(c) She is happy to see him, and grateful to him.
(d) She is angry that he did not make her complete.
11. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
(a) Old women of the household.
12. What does the Old Man by the Fire say about stories of children?
(a) He says that they can be misleading.
(b) He says that they contain all the simple truth of the world.
(c) He says that they are the cause of all mirth.
(d) He says that they are shallow lies.
13. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
(a) He kidnaps her.
(b) He sings to her.
(c) He promises her jewelry.
(d) He threatens her.
14. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
(a) He whips everything into shape.
(b) He changes how everything is done.
(c) He damages everything he touches.
(d) He invents tools for every little task.
15. What does Vainamoinen try to convince Ilmarinen to help him do?
(a) Revenge himself on the daughter of Louhi.
(b) Steal a different daughter from Louhi.
(c) Steal jewels from Louhi.
(d) Steal the Sampo from Pohja.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
2. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
3. Who survives Untamo's attack on Kalervo's home?
4. What does Lemminkainen say when he arrives at the wedding feast?
5. Whom does Vainamoinen toast at the wedding?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)