|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
(a) As a bear.
(b) As a storm.
(c) As a pike.
(d) As a giant eagle.
2. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
(a) He changes how everything is done.
(b) He whips everything into shape.
(c) He invents tools for every little task.
(d) He damages everything he touches.
3. What allows Lemminkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen to pass through the waterfall?
(a) A canopy Ilmarinen makes.
(b) Vainamoinen's magic.
(c) Louhi's magic.
(d) Lemminkainen's magic.
4. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
(a) They tell her that she is in charge of her mother's household now in addition to her husband's.
(b) They tell her that she must bear children within the first year in order to have a happy marriage.
(c) She is told that she will never feel as safe in her husband's home as she was in her family's.
(d) They tell her that she is safer now that she is a woman and can answer her husband's authority with her own.
5. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
(a) A crow.
(b) A pike.
(c) A storm.
(d) A heron.
6. What do Vainamoinen and his people do with the beast(s) Louhi sends to attack them?
(a) They kill the bear and eat it.
(b) They kill the crows with stones.
(c) They capture the bees in trees and make mead from their honey.
(d) They tame the dog and teach it to hunt.
7. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
(a) Old women of the household.
8. Where does Lemminkainen hide after the wedding feast?
(a) In a chest in his mother's bedroom.
(b) On an island of women.
(c) In a closet off of of his mother's kitchen.
(d) In a new country to the west.
9. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
(a) They kill the ferryman who could have taken them into Pohja.
(b) They lose their way after Frost freezes their boat in the water.
(c) They are drowned on their way to Pohja.
(d) They meet with mermaids who prophecy their fate.
10. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
(a) He kills Kullervo's beloved.
(b) He gives Kullervo menial jobs.
(c) He burns down Kullervo's home.
(d) He tortures Kullervo.
11. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
(a) He boasts about how he will overcome each encounter.
(b) He gets quiet and afraid, and reconsiders his decision.
(c) He makes sure to bring all his weapons.
(d) He hides his money carefully.
12. What happens when Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen ask Louhi for the Sampo?
(a) She conjures a spell to put them to sleep.
(b) She disappears.
(c) She refuses to give it to them.
(d) She gives it to them with one of her daughters in marriage.
13. How do people respond to Vainamoinen's singing?
(a) They begin to weep.
(b) They go to their homes.
(c) They go into a frenzy.
(d) They sing his songs to their children.
14. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
(a) Having too many guests.
(b) Getting the invitations out.
(c) Keeping the guests in line.
(d) Having enough beer.
15. Whom does Louhi capture and lock up in a cave?
(a) The sun and moon.
(b) Ilmarinen and her daughter.
(c) Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen.
(d) The creator and the old man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
2. What does Louhi see Ilmarinen making that causes her to set her prisoners free?
3. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
4. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
5. What does Kullervo's mother tell him after she hears about the woman he seduced?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)