|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Vainamoinen toast at the wedding?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
2. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
(a) They are drowned on their way to Pohja.
(b) They lose their way after Frost freezes their boat in the water.
(c) They meet with mermaids who prophecy their fate.
(d) They kill the ferryman who could have taken them into Pohja.
3. What do Lemminkainen, Ilmarinen, and the oarsmen and maidens propose to do with the thing Vainamoinen makes from the pike?
(a) Use it to trap Louhi's daughters.
(b) Set it on fire.
(c) Brew beer with it.
(d) Throw it into the sea.
4. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
(a) Old women of the household.
5. What happens when Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen ask Louhi for the Sampo?
(a) She disappears.
(b) She refuses to give it to them.
(c) She conjures a spell to put them to sleep.
(d) She gives it to them with one of her daughters in marriage.
6. Who tells Kullervo that his family still lives while he is wandering through the forest?
(c) An old woman.
(d) The Daughter of Louhi.
7. What does Louhi tell Ilmarinen when he returns to Pohja?
(a) She tells him that his craftsmanship is superb.
(b) She upbraids him for the death of her daughter.
(c) She says that she will not give him another daughter.
(d) She says that he is welcome with his new bride.
8. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
(a) His parents and his friends have all died.
(b) His family is older and he does not recognize them.
(c) Everything has been improved and modernized.
(d) Much of what he remembers has been destroyed.
9. When does Kullervo's mother die?
(a) While he is on his way home from the sea.
(b) While he is looking for the meaning of his life.
(c) While he is at war with Untamo.
(d) While he is pleading with her for permission to leave.
10. What does Ilmarinen use to make himself a new wife?
(a) Sticks and mud.
(b) Grease and herbs.
(c) Water and seaweed.
(d) Silver and gold.
11. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
(a) He cuts the Lord of Pohja's cheek with a carving knife.
(b) He beats the Lord of Pohja in the head with a mallet.
(c) He cuts it off and puts it on a pole in the courtyard.
(d) He cuts it off and throws it in the sea.
12. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
(b) The Daughter of Louhi.
(c) His sister.
13. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
(a) He threatens her.
(b) He kidnaps her.
(c) He promises her jewelry.
(d) He sings to her.
14. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
(a) He makes sure to bring all his weapons.
(b) He boasts about how he will overcome each encounter.
(c) He hides his money carefully.
(d) He gets quiet and afraid, and reconsiders his decision.
15. What does Louhi do to get revenge on Lemminkainen for what Lemminkainen did to the Lord of Pohja?
(a) She cuts off his head and throws it into the sea.
(b) She banishes him from the wedding feast.
(c) She sends an army into his country to destroy his home.
(d) She conjures an army to pursue him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lemminkainen find in his food at the wedding feast?
2. What does Kullervo's mother tell him after she hears about the woman he seduced?
3. How does Vainamoinen keep Louhi and her soldiers from catching up with him and Lemminkainen and Ilmarinen?
4. What does the character do who is not welcome at the wedding?
5. What does Louhi send to attack Vainamoinen after the plagues?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)