|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Lemminkainen seek out to help him get revenge on the armies that had pursued him?
(c) The Storyteller.
2. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
(a) He poisons her.
(b) He convinces Ilmarinen to disavow her.
(c) He leads an army against her palace and besieges her.
(d) He contrives to have her devoured by beasts of his own devising.
3. What does Lemminkainen say when he arrives at the wedding feast?
(a) He challenges Vainamoinen to a fight.
(b) He demands to be greeted and fed properly.
(c) He threatens the Maid of Pohja.
(d) He curses the bride and groom.
4. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
(a) The moon.
(b) Smaller fish.
5. What does Ilmarinen make to help him achieve the task he wants Vainamoinen to help him with?
(a) A woman.
(b) A grinder.
(c) A sword.
(d) A boat.
6. What happens when Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen ask Louhi for the Sampo?
(a) She gives it to them with one of her daughters in marriage.
(b) She refuses to give it to them.
(c) She disappears.
(d) She conjures a spell to put them to sleep.
7. Whom does Louhi capture and lock up in a cave?
(a) Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen.
(b) The creator and the old man.
(c) Ilmarinen and her daughter.
(d) The sun and moon.
8. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
(a) He whips everything into shape.
(b) He invents tools for every little task.
(c) He damages everything he touches.
(d) He changes how everything is done.
9. What does the Lord of Pohja offer Lemminkainen after Lemminkainen complains about the food?
(a) A bride.
(b) A stream to drink from.
(c) A shield.
(d) A drinking cup.
10. Who kills the pike when Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen run aground on the pike's back?
11. What does Louhi tell Ilmarinen when he returns to Pohja?
(a) She upbraids him for the death of her daughter.
(b) She says that she will not give him another daughter.
(c) She says that he is welcome with his new bride.
(d) She tells him that his craftsmanship is superb.
12. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
(a) A boat.
(b) An army.
(d) A seagull.
13. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
(a) A crow.
(b) A storm.
(c) A pike.
(d) A heron.
14. How does Vainamoinen keep Louhi and her soldiers from catching up with him and Lemminkainen and Ilmarinen?
(a) He kills them with his sword.
(b) He conjures a reef on which their ship wrecks.
(c) He tricks them into going the wrong direction.
(d) He sings them to sleep.
15. What allows Lemminkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen to pass through the waterfall?
(a) Louhi's magic.
(b) Lemminkainen's magic.
(c) Vainamoinen's magic.
(d) A canopy Ilmarinen makes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louhi send to attack Vainamoinen after the plagues?
2. What does Vainamoinen do when he sees that Louhi has freed her prisoners?
3. What does Kullervo's mother tell him after she hears about the woman he seduced?
4. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
5. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)