|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
(a) He invents tools for every little task.
(b) He whips everything into shape.
(c) He damages everything he touches.
(d) He changes how everything is done.
2. How do people respond to Vainamoinen's singing?
(a) They sing his songs to their children.
(b) They begin to weep.
(c) They go into a frenzy.
(d) They go to their homes.
3. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
(a) Gathering berries.
(b) Washing her hair.
(c) Washing clothes in a river.
(d) Picking flowers.
4. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
(a) A heron.
(b) A storm.
(c) A pike.
(d) A crow.
5. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
(a) He cuts it off and throws it in the sea.
(b) He cuts it off and puts it on a pole in the courtyard.
(c) He beats the Lord of Pohja in the head with a mallet.
(d) He cuts the Lord of Pohja's cheek with a carving knife.
6. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
(c) Old women of the household.
7. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
(a) As a giant eagle.
(b) As a pike.
(c) As a storm.
(d) As a bear.
8. How does Vainamoinen keep Louhi and her soldiers from catching up with him and Lemminkainen and Ilmarinen?
(a) He kills them with his sword.
(b) He sings them to sleep.
(c) He conjures a reef on which their ship wrecks.
(d) He tricks them into going the wrong direction.
9. What causes Lemminkainen to rush home to Pohja?
(a) A flock of seagulls.
(c) A flock of crows.
(d) Messengers from Louhi.
10. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
(a) He says she is not the right woman for him.
(b) He says that he made her and now he has to live with her.
(c) He says she is ugly and he is ashamed of himself for making her.
(d) He says that he can fix her.
11. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
(a) He gets quiet and afraid, and reconsiders his decision.
(b) He hides his money carefully.
(c) He makes sure to bring all his weapons.
(d) He boasts about how he will overcome each encounter.
12. How does Ilmarinen's wife, the Daughter of Louhi, express her dislike for Kullervo?
(a) She spreads rumors about him.
(b) She drills holes in his shoes.
(c) She bakes a stone into his loaf of bread.
(d) She dulls the blades of his knives.
13. Who helps the young maiden brew beer?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
(c) A bear and a bee.
14. Who helps Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen catch the giant fish?
(b) An old man.
(c) The Creator.
(d) A dwarf.
15. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
(a) Having enough beer.
(b) Getting the invitations out.
(c) Having too many guests.
(d) Keeping the guests in line.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose praises does Vainamoinen sing at Ilmarinen's home?
2. What does Ilmarinen make to help him achieve the task he wants Vainamoinen to help him with?
3. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
4. Whom does Louhi capture and lock up in a cave?
5. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)