|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What allows Lemminkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen to pass through the waterfall?
(a) Louhi's magic.
(b) Lemminkainen's magic.
(c) A canopy Ilmarinen makes.
(d) Vainamoinen's magic.
2. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
(a) He promises her jewelry.
(b) He sings to her.
(c) He kidnaps her.
(d) He threatens her.
3. What happens on the first morning when Ilmarinen wakes up next to the woman he created?
(a) She is angry that he did not make her complete.
(b) She is confused to discover herself.
(c) She is happy to see him, and grateful to him.
(d) She is cold and unresponsive.
4. What does Louhi tell Ilmarinen when he returns to Pohja?
(a) She upbraids him for the death of her daughter.
(b) She says that she will not give him another daughter.
(c) She says that he is welcome with his new bride.
(d) She tells him that his craftsmanship is superb.
5. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
(a) His parents and his friends have all died.
(b) Much of what he remembers has been destroyed.
(c) Everything has been improved and modernized.
(d) His family is older and he does not recognize them.
6. What does Louhi send to attack Vainamoinen after the plagues?
(a) A giant dog.
(b) A flock of crows.
(c) A swarm of bees.
(d) A bear.
7. What happens after Vainamoinen reaches the cave where Louhi is keeping her prisoners?
(a) He frees Louhi's daughter.
(b) He cannot break the locks at first.
(c) He is overcome by a giant dog.
(d) He uses magic to free the prisoners.
8. What does the character do who is not welcome at the wedding?
(a) He complains to Vainamoinen.
(b) He makes a scene by telling ominous stories.
(c) He threatens Vainamoinen with violence.
(d) He gets angry and prepares to go away.
9. What does Louhi's daughter do when Ilmarinen takes her with him?
(a) Falls in love with Ilmarinen.
(b) Bemoans her fate.
(c) Tries to escape.
(d) Plots to kill Ilmarinen.
10. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
(a) The possibility that he will never return.
(b) The danger of his absence in his father's illness.
(c) The insult he is giving to Vainamoinen.
(d) The dangers he will face on his journey.
11. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
(a) He tells her that with luck she will escape from her husband.
(b) He says that she is going to be much more alone in the future.
(c) He says that she is marrying the best of men.
(d) He tells her that she should console herself by having children.
12. How does Vainamoinen keep Louhi and her soldiers from catching up with him and Lemminkainen and Ilmarinen?
(a) He tricks them into going the wrong direction.
(b) He sings them to sleep.
(c) He conjures a reef on which their ship wrecks.
(d) He kills them with his sword.
13. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The forge.
(d) The forest.
14. Who helps Louhi get her revenge for the theft of the Sampo?
(a) A storm.
(b) The Creator.
(c) An old man.
15. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
(a) They tell her that she is in charge of her mother's household now in addition to her husband's.
(b) She is told that she will never feel as safe in her husband's home as she was in her family's.
(c) They tell her that she is safer now that she is a woman and can answer her husband's authority with her own.
(d) They tell her that she must bear children within the first year in order to have a happy marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
2. What does Louhi see Ilmarinen making that causes her to set her prisoners free?
3. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
4. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
5. What does Lemminkainen find in his food at the wedding feast?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)