|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
(a) Gathering berries.
(b) Washing clothes in a river.
(c) Picking flowers.
(d) Washing her hair.
2. What does Louhi do to get revenge on Lemminkainen for what Lemminkainen did to the Lord of Pohja?
(a) She cuts off his head and throws it into the sea.
(b) She banishes him from the wedding feast.
(c) She conjures an army to pursue him.
(d) She sends an army into his country to destroy his home.
3. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
(a) He gets quiet and afraid, and reconsiders his decision.
(b) He boasts about how he will overcome each encounter.
(c) He makes sure to bring all his weapons.
(d) He hides his money carefully.
4. When does Kullervo's mother die?
(a) While he is pleading with her for permission to leave.
(b) While he is on his way home from the sea.
(c) While he is looking for the meaning of his life.
(d) While he is at war with Untamo.
5. What does Vainamoinen do when he sees that Louhi has freed her prisoners?
(a) He builds a boat and sails home.
(b) He sings a song of thanks.
(c) He cracks the mountain open and imprisons Louhi in it.
(d) He releases Louhi from his chains.
6. Whom does Lemminkainen seek out to help him get revenge on the armies that had pursued him?
(d) The Storyteller.
7. Whom does Louhi capture and lock up in a cave?
(a) Ilmarinen and her daughter.
(b) Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen.
(c) The sun and moon.
(d) The creator and the old man.
8. What happens after Vainamoinen reaches the cave where Louhi is keeping her prisoners?
(a) He frees Louhi's daughter.
(b) He is overcome by a giant dog.
(c) He cannot break the locks at first.
(d) He uses magic to free the prisoners.
9. What does Lemminkainen find in his food at the wedding feast?
(a) Cream filling.
10. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
(d) Old women of the household.
11. How do Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen get the Sampo from Louhi?
(a) They win it from her while playing dice.
(b) They trick her into giving it to them.
(c) They lull her to sleep.
(d) They kill her and her soldiers.
12. What causes Lemminkainen to rush home to Pohja?
(a) A flock of seagulls.
(c) A flock of crows.
(d) Messengers from Louhi.
13. How does Kullervo speak about his family when his mother asks him not to leave?
14. What happens on the first morning when Ilmarinen wakes up next to the woman he created?
(a) She is happy to see him, and grateful to him.
(b) She is confused to discover herself.
(c) She is cold and unresponsive.
(d) She is angry that he did not make her complete.
15. What does the Lord of Pohja offer Lemminkainen after Lemminkainen complains about the food?
(a) A drinking cup.
(b) A stream to drink from.
(c) A shield.
(d) A bride.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills the pike when Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen run aground on the pike's back?
2. What does Louhi do when she finds that the Sampo is gone?
3. How does Ilmarinen's wife, the Daughter of Louhi, express her dislike for Kullervo?
4. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
5. How do people respond to Vainamoinen's singing?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)