|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Kullervo that his family still lives while he is wandering through the forest?
(a) An old woman.
(c) The Daughter of Louhi.
2. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
(a) He cuts the Lord of Pohja's cheek with a carving knife.
(b) He beats the Lord of Pohja in the head with a mallet.
(c) He cuts it off and puts it on a pole in the courtyard.
(d) He cuts it off and throws it in the sea.
3. Who survives Untamo's attack on Kalervo's home?
(a) A pregnant woman.
(d) The daughter of Louhi.
4. What song is sung at the end of the feast?
(a) Vainamoinen sings the praises of the creator.
(b) Ilmarinen sings his praises of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja.
(c) Louhi sings Vainamoinen's praises.
(d) The Maid of Pohja sings Vainamoinen's praises.
5. What does Untamo ultimately do with Kullervo?
(a) He sells him to Ilmarinen.
(b) He teaches him to hunt.
(c) He turns him into a goat.
(d) He leaves him on an island.
6. What does Louhi see Ilmarinen making that causes her to set her prisoners free?
(a) A magic sword to kill her.
(b) A poison sweetbread for her.
(c) A collar and chains to bind her.
(d) A woman to replace her.
7. What does Lemminkainen's mother warn him about when he is preparing to go away?
(a) The insult he is giving to Vainamoinen.
(b) The possibility that he will never return.
(c) The danger of his absence in his father's illness.
(d) The dangers he will face on his journey.
8. What does Vainamoinen try to convince Ilmarinen to help him do?
(a) Steal the Sampo from Pohja.
(b) Steal jewels from Louhi.
(c) Revenge himself on the daughter of Louhi.
(d) Steal a different daughter from Louhi.
9. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
(a) Everything has been improved and modernized.
(b) Much of what he remembers has been destroyed.
(c) His parents and his friends have all died.
(d) His family is older and he does not recognize them.
10. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
(b) One of Louhi's daughters.
(c) An old man.
11. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
(a) He hides his money carefully.
(b) He makes sure to bring all his weapons.
(c) He gets quiet and afraid, and reconsiders his decision.
(d) He boasts about how he will overcome each encounter.
12. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
(a) He burns down Kullervo's home.
(b) He gives Kullervo menial jobs.
(c) He kills Kullervo's beloved.
(d) He tortures Kullervo.
13. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
(a) An oar.
(b) A sword.
(c) A grinder.
(d) A harp.
14. What does the Old Man by the Fire say about stories of children?
(a) He says that they are the cause of all mirth.
(b) He says that they can be misleading.
(c) He says that they contain all the simple truth of the world.
(d) He says that they are shallow lies.
15. Where does Lemminkainen hide after the wedding feast?
(a) On an island of women.
(b) In a closet off of of his mother's kitchen.
(c) In a chest in his mother's bedroom.
(d) In a new country to the west.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do people respond to Vainamoinen's singing?
2. Where do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen go to look for the flame the Creator sends?
3. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
4. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
5. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)