|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
(a) Having too many guests.
(b) Having enough beer.
(c) Keeping the guests in line.
(d) Getting the invitations out.
2. Who is explicitly not invited to the wedding of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
3. What does Louhi send to attack Vainamoinen after the plagues?
(a) A bear.
(b) A flock of crows.
(c) A giant dog.
(d) A swarm of bees.
4. What causes Lemminkainen to rush home to Pohja?
(a) Messengers from Louhi.
(b) A flock of seagulls.
(c) A flock of crows.
5. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
(a) He promises her jewelry.
(b) He kidnaps her.
(c) He sings to her.
(d) He threatens her.
6. What song is sung at the end of the feast?
(a) Vainamoinen sings the praises of the creator.
(b) Ilmarinen sings his praises of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja.
(c) Louhi sings Vainamoinen's praises.
(d) The Maid of Pohja sings Vainamoinen's praises.
7. What happens on the first morning when Ilmarinen wakes up next to the woman he created?
(a) She is cold and unresponsive.
(b) She is happy to see him, and grateful to him.
(c) She is angry that he did not make her complete.
(d) She is confused to discover herself.
8. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
(a) As a giant eagle.
(b) As a pike.
(c) As a storm.
(d) As a bear.
9. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
(a) A butcher is taught how to butcher an ox.
(b) Beer is prepared.
(c) Songs are taught to the musicians.
(d) An ox is butchered.
10. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
(a) They lose their way after Frost freezes their boat in the water.
(b) They meet with mermaids who prophecy their fate.
(c) They kill the ferryman who could have taken them into Pohja.
(d) They are drowned on their way to Pohja.
11. What does Vainamoinen try to convince Ilmarinen to help him do?
(a) Steal a different daughter from Louhi.
(b) Steal jewels from Louhi.
(c) Revenge himself on the daughter of Louhi.
(d) Steal the Sampo from Pohja.
12. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
(a) The forge.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The forest.
13. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
(a) He hides his money carefully.
(b) He boasts about how he will overcome each encounter.
(c) He makes sure to bring all his weapons.
(d) He gets quiet and afraid, and reconsiders his decision.
14. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
(a) Picking flowers.
(b) Washing clothes in a river.
(c) Gathering berries.
(d) Washing her hair.
15. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
(d) Old women of the household.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
2. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
3. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
4. How do Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen get the Sampo from Louhi?
5. Whom does Vainamoinen toast at the wedding?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)