|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen go to look for the flame the Creator sends?
(a) In the forest.
(b) At the bottom of a vast lake.
(c) In the ocean.
(d) In the heavens.
2. Who is explicitly not invited to the wedding of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
3. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
(a) Getting the invitations out.
(b) Having too many guests.
(c) Having enough beer.
(d) Keeping the guests in line.
4. Who helps the young maiden brew beer?
(a) A bear and a bee.
(d) The Maid of Pohja.
5. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
(a) A seagull.
(b) An army.
(d) A boat.
6. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
(a) He damages everything he touches.
(b) He invents tools for every little task.
(c) He whips everything into shape.
(d) He changes how everything is done.
7. What does Ilmarinen use to make himself a new wife?
(a) Silver and gold.
(b) Grease and herbs.
(c) Sticks and mud.
(d) Water and seaweed.
8. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
(c) An old man.
(d) One of Louhi's daughters.
9. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
(c) The Daughter of Louhi.
(d) His sister.
10. What does the Old Man by the Fire say about stories of children?
(a) He says that they are the cause of all mirth.
(b) He says that they are shallow lies.
(c) He says that they contain all the simple truth of the world.
(d) He says that they can be misleading.
11. Who helps Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen catch the giant fish?
(a) A dwarf.
(b) The Creator.
(c) An old man.
12. What does Louhi's daughter do when she and Ilmarinen stop for the night?
(a) She writes to her mother.
(b) She convinces men in the inn to murder Ilmarinen.
(c) She carries on with another man.
(d) She escapes.
13. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
(a) He contrives to have her devoured by beasts of his own devising.
(b) He poisons her.
(c) He leads an army against her palace and besieges her.
(d) He convinces Ilmarinen to disavow her.
14. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
(a) He beats the Lord of Pohja in the head with a mallet.
(b) He cuts the Lord of Pohja's cheek with a carving knife.
(c) He cuts it off and puts it on a pole in the courtyard.
(d) He cuts it off and throws it in the sea.
15. How does Kullervo speak about his family when his mother asks him not to leave?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Untamo ultimately do with Kullervo?
2. What does Vainamoinen do when he sees that Louhi has freed her prisoners?
3. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
4. What do Lemminkainen, Ilmarinen, and the oarsmen and maidens propose to do with the thing Vainamoinen makes from the pike?
5. What does the character do who is not welcome at the wedding?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)