|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the character do who is not welcome at the wedding?
(a) He threatens Vainamoinen with violence.
(b) He complains to Vainamoinen.
(c) He gets angry and prepares to go away.
(d) He makes a scene by telling ominous stories.
2. How does Kullervo speak about his family when his mother asks him not to leave?
3. When does Kullervo's mother die?
(a) While he is pleading with her for permission to leave.
(b) While he is at war with Untamo.
(c) While he is looking for the meaning of his life.
(d) While he is on his way home from the sea.
4. What does Lemminkainen say when he arrives at the wedding feast?
(a) He threatens the Maid of Pohja.
(b) He curses the bride and groom.
(c) He demands to be greeted and fed properly.
(d) He challenges Vainamoinen to a fight.
5. How does Ilmarinen punish Louhi's daughter?
(a) He tells vicious stories about her.
(b) He eats her.
(c) He throws her out into the cold without clothes.
(d) He turns her into a seabird.
6. What does the Lord of Pohja offer Lemminkainen after Lemminkainen complains about the food?
(a) A stream to drink from.
(b) A bride.
(c) A drinking cup.
(d) A shield.
7. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
(a) Old women of the household.
8. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
(a) A seagull.
(c) A boat.
(d) An army.
9. Who tells Kullervo that his family still lives while he is wandering through the forest?
(a) An old woman.
(b) The Daughter of Louhi.
10. What does Vainamoinen do when he sees that Louhi has freed her prisoners?
(a) He builds a boat and sails home.
(b) He sings a song of thanks.
(c) He releases Louhi from his chains.
(d) He cracks the mountain open and imprisons Louhi in it.
11. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
(a) He says that she is marrying the best of men.
(b) He tells her that she should console herself by having children.
(c) He says that she is going to be much more alone in the future.
(d) He tells her that with luck she will escape from her husband.
12. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
(a) Getting the invitations out.
(b) Having too many guests.
(c) Having enough beer.
(d) Keeping the guests in line.
13. What happens on the first morning when Ilmarinen wakes up next to the woman he created?
(a) She is happy to see him, and grateful to him.
(b) She is confused to discover herself.
(c) She is angry that he did not make her complete.
(d) She is cold and unresponsive.
14. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The forest.
(c) The forge.
(d) The kitchen.
15. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
(a) As a pike.
(b) As a giant eagle.
(c) As a bear.
(d) As a storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
2. What causes Lemminkainen to rush home to Pohja?
3. How does Vainamoinen keep Louhi and her soldiers from catching up with him and Lemminkainen and Ilmarinen?
4. What do Vainamoinen and his people do with the beast(s) Louhi sends to attack them?
5. Whom does Lemminkainen seek out to help him get revenge on the armies that had pursued him?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)