|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Louhi do when she finds that the Sampo is gone?
(a) She uses her magic to bring it back.
(b) She sends fish to swallow the thieves.
(c) She builds another one.
(d) She sends storms after the thieves.
2. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
(a) Getting the invitations out.
(b) Having too many guests.
(c) Having enough beer.
(d) Keeping the guests in line.
3. How does Vainamoinen keep Louhi and her soldiers from catching up with him and Lemminkainen and Ilmarinen?
(a) He conjures a reef on which their ship wrecks.
(b) He kills them with his sword.
(c) He sings them to sleep.
(d) He tricks them into going the wrong direction.
4. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
(a) They lose their way after Frost freezes their boat in the water.
(b) They meet with mermaids who prophecy their fate.
(c) They kill the ferryman who could have taken them into Pohja.
(d) They are drowned on their way to Pohja.
5. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
(a) He says she is ugly and he is ashamed of himself for making her.
(b) He says she is not the right woman for him.
(c) He says that he made her and now he has to live with her.
(d) He says that he can fix her.
6. What does Ilmarinen make to help him achieve the task he wants Vainamoinen to help him with?
(a) A boat.
(b) A sword.
(c) A woman.
(d) A grinder.
7. When does Kullervo's mother die?
(a) While he is at war with Untamo.
(b) While he is looking for the meaning of his life.
(c) While he is pleading with her for permission to leave.
(d) While he is on his way home from the sea.
8. What happens when Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen ask Louhi for the Sampo?
(a) She gives it to them with one of her daughters in marriage.
(b) She disappears.
(c) She conjures a spell to put them to sleep.
(d) She refuses to give it to them.
9. What does Louhi's daughter do when she and Ilmarinen stop for the night?
(a) She writes to her mother.
(b) She escapes.
(c) She convinces men in the inn to murder Ilmarinen.
(d) She carries on with another man.
10. What do Vainamoinen and his people do with the beast(s) Louhi sends to attack them?
(a) They capture the bees in trees and make mead from their honey.
(b) They kill the bear and eat it.
(c) They tame the dog and teach it to hunt.
(d) They kill the crows with stones.
11. What does Louhi send to attack Vainamoinen after the plagues?
(a) A swarm of bees.
(b) A bear.
(c) A giant dog.
(d) A flock of crows.
12. What does Lemminkainen discover when he returns from his hiding place?
(a) His family is older and he does not recognize them.
(b) His parents and his friends have all died.
(c) Much of what he remembers has been destroyed.
(d) Everything has been improved and modernized.
13. How do Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen get the Sampo from Louhi?
(a) They win it from her while playing dice.
(b) They lull her to sleep.
(c) They kill her and her soldiers.
(d) They trick her into giving it to them.
14. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
(a) A grinder.
(b) A harp.
(c) A sword.
(d) An oar.
15. What does Louhi tell Ilmarinen when he returns to Pohja?
(a) She says that she will not give him another daughter.
(b) She says that he is welcome with his new bride.
(c) She upbraids him for the death of her daughter.
(d) She tells him that his craftsmanship is superb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
2. What does Louhi's daughter do when Ilmarinen takes her with him?
3. What does Louhi see Ilmarinen making that causes her to set her prisoners free?
4. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
5. What does the Lord of Pohja offer Lemminkainen after Lemminkainen complains about the food?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)