|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Lemminkainen to rush home to Pohja?
(b) A flock of seagulls.
(c) Messengers from Louhi.
(d) A flock of crows.
2. What does the Lord of Pohja offer Lemminkainen after Lemminkainen complains about the food?
(a) A bride.
(b) A drinking cup.
(c) A shield.
(d) A stream to drink from.
3. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
(a) The forest.
(b) The forge.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The kitchen.
4. What does Louhi's daughter do when Ilmarinen takes her with him?
(a) Plots to kill Ilmarinen.
(b) Falls in love with Ilmarinen.
(c) Tries to escape.
(d) Bemoans her fate.
5. Who helps Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen catch the giant fish?
(a) The Creator.
(b) An old man.
(d) A dwarf.
6. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
(a) He contrives to have her devoured by beasts of his own devising.
(b) He convinces Ilmarinen to disavow her.
(c) He poisons her.
(d) He leads an army against her palace and besieges her.
7. What does the character do who is not welcome at the wedding?
(a) He complains to Vainamoinen.
(b) He makes a scene by telling ominous stories.
(c) He threatens Vainamoinen with violence.
(d) He gets angry and prepares to go away.
8. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
(a) Gathering berries.
(b) Washing her hair.
(c) Picking flowers.
(d) Washing clothes in a river.
9. How do people respond to Vainamoinen's singing?
(a) They sing his songs to their children.
(b) They go into a frenzy.
(c) They go to their homes.
(d) They begin to weep.
10. Whom does Vainamoinen toast at the wedding?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
11. Who tells the Maid of Pohja about how her life will be different once she is married?
(b) Old women of the household.
12. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
(a) He says that he can fix her.
(b) He says that he made her and now he has to live with her.
(c) He says she is ugly and he is ashamed of himself for making her.
(d) He says she is not the right woman for him.
13. Whom does Lemminkainen seek out to help him get revenge on the armies that had pursued him?
(b) The Storyteller.
14. Where does Lemminkainen hide after the wedding feast?
(a) In a chest in his mother's bedroom.
(b) In a closet off of of his mother's kitchen.
(c) On an island of women.
(d) In a new country to the west.
15. What does Louhi do when she finds that the Sampo is gone?
(a) She uses her magic to bring it back.
(b) She builds another one.
(c) She sends storms after the thieves.
(d) She sends fish to swallow the thieves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lemminkainen, Ilmarinen, and the oarsmen and maidens propose to do with the thing Vainamoinen makes from the pike?
2. What do Vainamoinen's tears turn into after they drop into the sea?
3. What song is sung at the end of the feast?
4. What does Louhi's daughter do when she and Ilmarinen stop for the night?
5. Who tells Kullervo that his family still lives while he is wandering through the forest?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)