|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What allows Lemminkainen, Vainamoinen, and Ilmarinen to pass through the waterfall?
(a) Vainamoinen's magic.
(b) Lemminkainen's magic.
(c) A canopy Ilmarinen makes.
(d) Louhi's magic.
2. What does Lemminkainen say when he arrives at the wedding feast?
(a) He threatens the Maid of Pohja.
(b) He curses the bride and groom.
(c) He demands to be greeted and fed properly.
(d) He challenges Vainamoinen to a fight.
3. Who is explicitly not invited to the wedding of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
4. How does Ilmarinen punish Louhi's daughter?
(a) He tells vicious stories about her.
(b) He throws her out into the cold without clothes.
(c) He eats her.
(d) He turns her into a seabird.
5. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
(a) A butcher is taught how to butcher an ox.
(b) Songs are taught to the musicians.
(c) Beer is prepared.
(d) An ox is butchered.
6. What does the Maid of Pohja learn about how her married life will be different?
(a) They tell her that she must bear children within the first year in order to have a happy marriage.
(b) She is told that she will never feel as safe in her husband's home as she was in her family's.
(c) They tell her that she is in charge of her mother's household now in addition to her husband's.
(d) They tell her that she is safer now that she is a woman and can answer her husband's authority with her own.
7. What happens when Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen ask Louhi for the Sampo?
(a) She refuses to give it to them.
(b) She conjures a spell to put them to sleep.
(c) She disappears.
(d) She gives it to them with one of her daughters in marriage.
8. What does Ilmarinen use to make himself a new wife?
(a) Silver and gold.
(b) Grease and herbs.
(c) Sticks and mud.
(d) Water and seaweed.
9. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
(c) His sister.
(d) The Daughter of Louhi.
10. What does Ilmarinen make to help him achieve the task he wants Vainamoinen to help him with?
(a) A boat.
(b) A sword.
(c) A grinder.
(d) A woman.
11. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
(c) Smaller fish.
(d) The moon.
12. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
(a) He says that she is marrying the best of men.
(b) He tells her that she should console herself by having children.
(c) He tells her that with luck she will escape from her husband.
(d) He says that she is going to be much more alone in the future.
13. Where does Ilmarinen go to make himself a new wife?
(a) The forest.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The forge.
14. What happens after Vainamoinen reaches the cave where Louhi is keeping her prisoners?
(a) He frees Louhi's daughter.
(b) He is overcome by a giant dog.
(c) He uses magic to free the prisoners.
(d) He cannot break the locks at first.
15. What is Louhi worried about, with regard to the wedding feast?
(a) Having too many guests.
(b) Having enough beer.
(c) Getting the invitations out.
(d) Keeping the guests in line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen make out of the pike's body?
2. What does Louhi do to get revenge on Lemminkainen for what Lemminkainen did to the Lord of Pohja?
3. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
4. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
5. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)