|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who alerts Louhi to the theft of the Sampo?
(a) A pike.
(b) A storm.
(c) A crow.
(d) A heron.
2. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen encounter on their way to Pohja?
(a) An army.
(c) A boat.
(d) A seagull.
3. How do people respond to Vainamoinen's singing?
(a) They sing his songs to their children.
(b) They begin to weep.
(c) They go into a frenzy.
(d) They go to their homes.
4. Whom does Lemminkainen seek out to help him get revenge on the armies that had pursued him?
(b) The Storyteller.
5. Where do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen go to look for the flame the Creator sends?
(a) In the forest.
(b) In the ocean.
(c) In the heavens.
(d) At the bottom of a vast lake.
6. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
(a) Gathering berries.
(b) Washing clothes in a river.
(c) Washing her hair.
(d) Picking flowers.
7. What do Vainamoinen and his people do with the beast(s) Louhi sends to attack them?
(a) They capture the bees in trees and make mead from their honey.
(b) They tame the dog and teach it to hunt.
(c) They kill the crows with stones.
(d) They kill the bear and eat it.
8. What does Ilmarinen tell his metallic bride when he wakes up beside her?
(a) He says that he made her and now he has to live with her.
(b) He says that he can fix her.
(c) He says she is not the right woman for him.
(d) He says she is ugly and he is ashamed of himself for making her.
9. Whose praises does Vainamoinen sing at Ilmarinen's home?
(a) His own.
(b) The Maid of Pohja's.
10. What does the Child tell the Maid of Pohja when she bursts into tears?
(a) He says that she is marrying the best of men.
(b) He tells her that she should console herself by having children.
(c) He tells her that with luck she will escape from her husband.
(d) He says that she is going to be much more alone in the future.
11. Who survives Untamo's attack on Kalervo's home?
(b) The daughter of Louhi.
(c) A pregnant woman.
12. What does Ilmarinen use to make himself a new wife?
(a) Water and seaweed.
(b) Sticks and mud.
(c) Silver and gold.
(d) Grease and herbs.
13. How do Ilmarinen, Lemminkainen, and Vainamoinen get the Sampo from Louhi?
(a) They win it from her while playing dice.
(b) They trick her into giving it to them.
(c) They kill her and her soldiers.
(d) They lull her to sleep.
14. What causes Lemminkainen to rush home to Pohja?
(a) A flock of seagulls.
(b) Messengers from Louhi.
(c) A flock of crows.
15. Who does Kullervo seduce on his way back from a financial errand?
(a) His sister.
(d) The Daughter of Louhi.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kullervo get revenge against the Daughter of Louhi?
2. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
3. Who helps the young maiden brew beer?
4. What preparations are made for the marriage of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja?
5. What comes out of the giant fish's belly?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)