|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Untamo try to break Kullevo's spirit?
(a) He gives Kullervo menial jobs.
(b) He tortures Kullervo.
(c) He burns down Kullervo's home.
(d) He kills Kullervo's beloved.
2. Where does Lemminkainen hide after the wedding feast?
(a) In a closet off of of his mother's kitchen.
(b) On an island of women.
(c) In a chest in his mother's bedroom.
(d) In a new country to the west.
3. How does Ilmarinen's wife, the Daughter of Louhi, express her dislike for Kullervo?
(a) She dulls the blades of his knives.
(b) She bakes a stone into his loaf of bread.
(c) She drills holes in his shoes.
(d) She spreads rumors about him.
4. Who tells Kullervo that his family still lives while he is wandering through the forest?
(b) The Daughter of Louhi.
(d) An old woman.
5. Kullervo hears the story of his sister's disappearance. What was she doing when she disappeared?
(a) Washing clothes in a river.
(b) Washing her hair.
(c) Gathering berries.
(d) Picking flowers.
6. What happens to Lemminkainen and his friend on their way to get revenge against Pohja?
(a) They lose their way after Frost freezes their boat in the water.
(b) They kill the ferryman who could have taken them into Pohja.
(c) They meet with mermaids who prophecy their fate.
(d) They are drowned on their way to Pohja.
7. What does Lemminkainen do to the Lord of Pohja's head?
(a) He cuts it off and throws it in the sea.
(b) He cuts the Lord of Pohja's cheek with a carving knife.
(c) He beats the Lord of Pohja in the head with a mallet.
(d) He cuts it off and puts it on a pole in the courtyard.
8. What song is sung at the end of the feast?
(a) Ilmarinen sings his praises of Vainamoinen and the Maid of Pohja.
(b) Vainamoinen sings the praises of the creator.
(c) Louhi sings Vainamoinen's praises.
(d) The Maid of Pohja sings Vainamoinen's praises.
9. How does Kullervo perform his tasks on the family farm?
(a) He changes how everything is done.
(b) He whips everything into shape.
(c) He damages everything he touches.
(d) He invents tools for every little task.
10. Where do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen go to look for the flame the Creator sends?
(a) At the bottom of a vast lake.
(b) In the heavens.
(c) In the forest.
(d) In the ocean.
11. In what form does Louhi attack Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen's ship?
(a) As a pike.
(b) As a giant eagle.
(c) As a bear.
(d) As a storm.
12. Who helps Vainamoinen cure the plagues and afflictions Louhi sends into his land?
(a) One of Louhi's daughters.
(d) An old man.
13. What does Louhi tell Ilmarinen when he returns to Pohja?
(a) She says that he is welcome with his new bride.
(b) She says that she will not give him another daughter.
(c) She tells him that his craftsmanship is superb.
(d) She upbraids him for the death of her daughter.
14. How does Ilmarinen get one of Louhi's daughters to go with him?
(a) He kidnaps her.
(b) He sings to her.
(c) He promises her jewelry.
(d) He threatens her.
15. What do Vainamoinen's tears turn into after they drop into the sea?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ilmarinen make to help him achieve the task he wants Vainamoinen to help him with?
2. Who helps the young maiden brew beer?
3. What does Louhi do when she finds that the Sampo is gone?
4. What happens on the first morning when Ilmarinen wakes up next to the woman he created?
5. How does Lemminkainen respond to his mother's warnings?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)