|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
(a) She wants Ilmarinen to get his revenge on Vainamoinen.
(b) She wants to set up a meeting between Ilmarinen and Vainamoinen.
(c) She wants Ilmarinen to marry the maid of Pohja.
(d) She wants to make sure that Vainamoinen does not reveal Ilmarinen's secrets.
2. What does Louhi ask from Vainamoinen in return for her help?
(a) She asks him to marry her daughter.
(b) She asks him to tame the man-eating horses.
(c) She asks him to ride a magic horse.
(d) She asks him to build a grinder.
3. Who is not banished from the fire by Lemmenkainen's magical songs?
4. What does Vainamoinen catch?
(a) He catches a fish that tells him how to catch Aino.
(b) He catches Aino, who tells him a new technique for catching fish.
(c) He catches a number of fish, but none of them is Aino.
(d) He catches a salmon that was in fact Aino.
5. Who comes to the shore to see who has arrived there?
(b) The Lord of Pohja.
(d) The Maid of Pohja.
6. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
7. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
(a) To his mother.
(b) To the mountains.
(c) To the ocean.
(d) To the land of Pohja.
8. Where does Vainamoinen want to send his friend Sampsa at the beginning of part 16?
(a) On a quest in search of wood.
(b) To Louhi's house with a message.
(c) On a journey of discovery.
(d) To Lemmenkainen with a challenge.
9. What does Vainamoinen do when Louhi offers him food?
(a) He refuses the food because he is still grieving for Aino.
(b) He says that all he wants is go home.
(c) He passes out from exhaustion.
(d) He eats and is indebted to Louhi.
10. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(a) A very small man.
(b) Two farmers.
11. Whom does Lemminkainen resolve to win?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
12. Whose help does Vipunen ask for, to help him get rid of Vainamoinen?
(c) The gods.
(d) Vainamoinen's mother.
13. What happens when the eagle drops Vainamoinen?
(a) Vainamoinen finds Aino in the form of an elk.
(b) Vainamoinen finds the cave with the jewels.
(c) Vainamoinen kills Joukahainen.
(d) Vainamoinen gets lonely and begins to cry.
14. What does the Storyteller tell us in the first stanzas?
(a) He announces that he is going to sing of war and gods.
(b) He describes his need to pass on the ancient wisdom.
(c) He describes the people whose epic he is going to sing.
(d) He describes the beginning of the world.
15. What does Vainamoinen resolve to build at the beginning of Part 16?
(a) A cave.
(b) A tree.
(c) A tampo.
(d) A boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
2. What happens after Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
3. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
4. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
5. What does Vainamoinen ask Aino to do for him when they are walking through the forest together?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)