|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of tree does Vainamoinen plant?
2. Whose help does Vipunen ask for, to help him get rid of Vainamoinen?
(b) The gods.
(c) Vainamoinen's mother.
3. What happens when Lemmenkainen catches the elk?
(a) It attacks a village.
(b) It escapes.
(c) He kills it.
(d) He leads it back to Louhi.
4. What does Vainamoinen tell the living creatures after he returns from the Underworld?
(a) He tells them all about the Daughter of the Underworld.
(b) He tells them the magic words he learned there.
(c) He describes the horrors he saw.
(d) He tells them not to go there themselves.
5. What does Vainamoinen tell Louhi in response to her request?
(a) He tells Louhi that what she asks cannot be done.
(b) He tells Louhi that he does not want to marry her daughter.
(c) He tells Louhi that he knows someone who can do what she wants done.
(d) He does what she asks and marries her daughter.
6. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
(a) To the land of Pohja.
(b) To his mother.
(c) To the ocean.
(d) To the mountains.
7. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen agree to do when they arrive where they are going?
(a) They agree not to fight over the Maid of Pohja's hand.
(b) They agree to gamble for the Maid of Pohja's hand.
(c) They agree to let the Maid of Pohja choose between them.
(d) They agree to fight to the death.
8. What does Vainamoinen ask Aino to do for him when they are walking through the forest together?
(a) Take off her jewelry.
(b) Wear her jewelry.
(c) Betray her brother.
(d) Renounce her father.
9. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(c) Two farmers.
(d) A very small man.
10. What is the name of the baby the Water-Mother is carrying?
(d) The Maid of Pohja.
11. Who asks Vainamoinen where he is sailing?
(a) The maid of Pohja.
12. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
13. What does Lemmenkainen's mother ask of Ilmarinen?
(a) She asks him for a potion that will heal Lemmenkainen.
(b) She asks him to build her a Sampo.
(c) She asks him to make a rake for her.
(d) She asks him to knit Lemmenkainen back together.
14. What does the person who comes to meet Vainamoinen say that Vainamoinen's purpose is when he arrives back home?
(a) To marry Louhi.
(b) To seek an alliance with Annikki.
(c) To defeat Ilmarinen.
(d) To marry the Maid of Pohja.
15. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
(a) He accuses Lemmenkainen of witchcraft.
(b) He waits for Lemmenkainen outside.
(c) He gathers the others and arranges an ambush.
(d) He returns to the room with a knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occasion marks the end of Lemminkainen and Kyllikki's happiness?
2. Who ultimately helps Louhi do what she wants done?
3. What happens when Vainamoinen wrestles with Vipunen?
4. What is Vainamoinen thinking about when the eagle rescues him?
5. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)