|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Markahattu do to Lemmenkainen?
(a) He feeds his body to bees.
(b) He disposes of his body in a river.
(c) He feeds his body to birds.
(d) He burns his body in a fire.
2. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
(c) The Maid of Pohja.
3. What does Vainamoinen build to convince Vipunen to tell him what he wants to know?
(a) A forge.
(b) A grinder.
(c) A hovel.
(d) A castle.
4. Who is not banished from the fire by Lemmenkainen's magical songs?
5. What does Joukahainen do when he meets Vainamoinen?
(a) He challenges Vainamoinen to a wrestling match.
(b) He challenges Vainamoinen to a race.
(c) He challenges Vainamoinen to a storytelling contest.
(d) He challenges Vainamoinen to a javelin contest.
6. What was the Water-Mother's name before she became the Water-Mother?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
(b) Daughter of the Air.
7. What gift does Joukahainen offer that finally convinces Vainamoinen to let him go free?
(a) A magical robe.
(b) A necklace.
(c) His sister.
(d) The secret to his immortality.
8. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
(a) To his mother.
(b) To the land of Pohja.
(c) To the mountains.
(d) To the ocean.
9. What occasion marks the end of Lemminkainen and Kyllikki's happiness?
(a) Lemmenkainen abandons Kyllikki on an island.
(b) Kyllikki goes dancing and Lemmenkainen confronts her.
(c) Kyllikki tells Lemmenkainen's enemies the secret of his vulnerability.
(d) Kyllikki betrays Lemminkainen with Vainamoinen.
10. What is Vainamoinen missing as he works with the wood Sampsa brought him?
(a) A helper.
(b) Iron hoops.
(c) Gum for caulking.
(d) Three magic words.
11. Where does Vainamoinen plant his tree?
(a) In the ocean.
(b) In a bird's nest.
(c) In the ashes of a fire.
(d) In an eggshell.
12. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
(a) He gathers the others and arranges an ambush.
(b) He waits for Lemmenkainen outside.
(c) He returns to the room with a knife.
(d) He accuses Lemmenkainen of witchcraft.
13. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
(a) She wants to make sure that Vainamoinen does not reveal Ilmarinen's secrets.
(b) She wants to set up a meeting between Ilmarinen and Vainamoinen.
(c) She wants Ilmarinen to get his revenge on Vainamoinen.
(d) She wants Ilmarinen to marry the maid of Pohja.
14. What name is the Water-Mother given?
(a) Earth Mother.
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
15. What prayer does Lemmenkainen make after his snowshoes break?
(a) He prays that no hunters will hunt for elk in this forest.
(b) He prays for the intelligence to outwit the elk.
(c) He prays that Kyllikki will leave him alone.
(d) He prays for Louhi's daughter's hand in marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vainamoinen escape from the Underworld?
2. Who asks Vainamoinen where he is sailing?
3. Whom does Lemminkainen resolve to win?
4. What does Louhi ask from Vainamoinen in return for her help?
5. When Vainamoinen's finally arrives at his destination, how is his arrival first announced?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)