|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen go fishing for in part 5?
(c) Aino's body.
2. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
3. Where does the Storyteller get his story?
(a) From the ocean.
(b) From his children.
(c) From his parents.
(d) From a bird.
4. What does Vainamoinen tell Louhi in response to her request?
(a) He tells Louhi that he does not want to marry her daughter.
(b) He does what she asks and marries her daughter.
(c) He tells Louhi that what she asks cannot be done.
(d) He tells Louhi that he knows someone who can do what she wants done.
5. What are Joukahainen's stories like?
(a) They are wise and considered.
(b) They are childish and shallow.
(c) They are colorful and interesting.
(d) They are stories of battles and tournaments.
6. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
(a) He is anxious to make an alliance with Vainamoinen.
(b) He wants to repay Vainamoinen for the indignities he suffered.
(c) He is full of admiration.
(d) He is jealousy and resentful.
7. What is the little maid doing when she hears Vainamoinen?
(a) She is doing her daily chores.
(b) She is collecting firewood.
(c) She is fishing.
(d) She is taking off her jewels.
8. Where does Vainamoinen's mother suggest he look for a bride?
(a) In the Land of Pohja.
(b) In the cave of jewels.
(c) In the ocean.
(d) At the bottom of the sea.
9. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
10. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
(a) He is known as a fair and kind king to his people.
(b) He is known as a strange magician.
(c) He is known as a wise and wonderful storyteller.
(d) He is known as a powerful warrior.
11. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
(a) She offers him her daughter's hand.
(b) She protects him from her son.
(c) She convinces her son to kill him.
(d) She takes him to her home and bathes him.
12. What is happening when the Water-Mother experiences an upsurge of energy?
(a) Lemminkainen is being born.
(b) The Maid of Pohja is singing to her.
(c) The small bird's eggs are hatching on her knee.
(d) Monsters are swallowing the sun.
13. What does the person who comes to meet Vainamoinen say that Vainamoinen's purpose is when he arrives back home?
(a) To defeat Ilmarinen.
(b) To marry Louhi.
(c) To marry the Maid of Pohja.
(d) To seek an alliance with Annikki.
14. Who is the Maid of Pohja?
(a) Louhi's daughter.
(b) Joukahainen's youngest sister.
(c) Vainamoinen's cousin.
15. What does Lemmenkainen demand of Louhi after he banishes the storytellers?
(a) He wants to know the secret of her immortality.
(b) He wants her to give him her daughter in marriage.
(c) He wants to know how to get rid of Markahattu.
(d) He wants to know who he will marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Joukahainen offer that finally convinces Vainamoinen to let him go free?
2. What occasion marks the end of Lemminkainen and Kyllikki's happiness?
3. Who impregnates the Water-Mother?
4. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
5. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)