|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
(a) The story of how the world was made.
(b) The story of the first man.
(c) The story of how he first heard his story.
(d) The story of discovery of language.
2. How does Aino's mother console her when Aino is crying about marrying Vainamoinen?
(a) She says that her family's home is not the only place where flowers bloom.
(b) She introduces Aino to the transcendent nature of family.
(c) She reminds Aino that she left her own home when she married.
(d) She tells Aino that this will be the perfect opportunity for the family to take revenge.
3. What does Vainamoinen tell the living creatures after he returns from the Underworld?
(a) He tells them not to go there themselves.
(b) He describes the horrors he saw.
(c) He tells them all about the Daughter of the Underworld.
(d) He tells them the magic words he learned there.
4. Which tree does Vainamoinen leave standing?
(a) The birch.
(b) The oak.
(c) The laurel.
(d) The aspen.
5. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
(a) Builds a lodge.
(b) Shapes it into a boat.
(c) Builds a house.
(d) Shapes it into a series of tools.
6. Whose help does Vipunen ask for, to help him get rid of Vainamoinen?
(b) Vainamoinen's mother.
(d) The gods.
7. What does Lemmenkainen demand of Louhi after he banishes the storytellers?
(a) He wants her to give him her daughter in marriage.
(b) He wants to know the secret of her immortality.
(c) He wants to know how to get rid of Markahattu.
(d) He wants to know who he will marry.
8. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(b) Two farmers.
(d) A very small man.
9. Where does Vainamoinen want to send his friend Sampsa at the beginning of part 16?
(a) On a quest in search of wood.
(b) To Lemmenkainen with a challenge.
(c) To Louhi's house with a message.
(d) On a journey of discovery.
10. Who is not banished from the fire by Lemmenkainen's magical songs?
11. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
12. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
(a) He returns to the room with a knife.
(b) He gathers the others and arranges an ambush.
(c) He accuses Lemmenkainen of witchcraft.
(d) He waits for Lemmenkainen outside.
13. What is Vainamoinen thinking about when the eagle rescues him?
(a) He is wondering what form he will find Aino in.
(b) He thinks about making the ocean his home.
(c) He is thinking about what he will tell his mother now.
(d) He is thinking about hoe to get revenge on Joukahainen.
14. What does Vainamoinen do when he agrees to take what Joukahainen offers?
(a) He allows Joukahainen to return home.
(b) He tells Joukahainen the story of his own miserable future.
(c) He allows Joukahainen to be drowned.
(d) He humiliates Joukahainen by turning him into a spider.
15. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
(d) Aino's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lemminkainen take his new bride?
2. What occasion marks the end of Lemminkainen and Kyllikki's happiness?
3. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
4. Who comes to the shore to see who has arrived there?
5. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)