|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen agree to do when they arrive where they are going?
(a) They agree to gamble for the Maid of Pohja's hand.
(b) They agree to let the Maid of Pohja choose between them.
(c) They agree not to fight over the Maid of Pohja's hand.
(d) They agree to fight to the death.
2. What does Vainamoinen catch?
(a) He catches a number of fish, but none of them is Aino.
(b) He catches a salmon that was in fact Aino.
(c) He catches a fish that tells him how to catch Aino.
(d) He catches Aino, who tells him a new technique for catching fish.
3. Who is the Maid of Pohja?
(b) Vainamoinen's cousin.
(c) Louhi's daughter.
(d) Joukahainen's youngest sister.
4. What happens when Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
(a) His third shot kills the magical elk.
(b) His second shot kills Vainamoinen.
(c) His mother intervenes to protect Vainamoinen.
(d) His first shot kills Vainamoinen.
5. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
(a) He wants to repay Vainamoinen for the indignities he suffered.
(b) He is jealousy and resentful.
(c) He is anxious to make an alliance with Vainamoinen.
(d) He is full of admiration.
6. Where does Vainamoinen's mother suggest he look for a bride?
(a) In the ocean.
(b) In the cave of jewels.
(c) At the bottom of the sea.
(d) In the Land of Pohja.
7. Which tree agrees to Sampsa's proposal to cut the tree down?
(a) An oak.
(b) A fir.
(c) A spruce.
(d) A cedar.
8. What condition is the Water-Mother trying to find relief from?
(a) She suffers a broken foot.
(b) She suffers a pregnancy she cannot give birth to.
(c) She has been drowned in a flood.
(d) She has been split off from the male counterpart of the cosmos.
9. Where does the Storyteller get his story?
(a) From a bird.
(b) From his children.
(c) From the ocean.
(d) From his parents.
10. Who helps Lemmenkainen's mother reassemble Lemmenkainen's body?
(a) A dolphin.
(b) Louhi's daughter.
(c) A snake.
(d) A bee.
11. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
(a) She tells him the secret of Vainamoinen's vulnerability.
(b) She tells him not to do it.
(c) She tells him where to aim.
(d) She tells him where to find him.
12. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
(a) A cannon.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A crossbow with poisoned arrows.
13. What does Vainamoinen answer when he is asked where he is sailing to?
(a) He says he is sailing home.
(b) He says he is sailing to the dawn.
(c) He says he is sailing to Ilmarinen.
(d) He lies a first and then says he is sailing to Pohja.
14. Who impregnates the Water-Mother?
(b) A small bird.
(c) The sea.
(d) An acorn.
15. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
(a) He runs and hides himself away.
(b) He slanders Joukahainen to the other listeners.
(c) He causes a swamp to rise up around Joukahainen.
(d) He kills Joukahainen with a sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vainamoinen missing as he works with the wood Sampsa brought him?
2. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
3. What does Vainamoinen go fishing for in part 5?
4. Where does Vainamoinen want to send his friend Sampsa at the beginning of part 16?
5. What song does Louhi's child sing after Vainamoinen has completed the tasks?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)