|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Water-Mother's name before she became the Water-Mother?
(a) Daughter of the Air.
(c) The Maid of Pohja.
2. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
(a) She says that she does not like sailors and will not marry Vainamoinen.
(b) She says that her father has forbidden her to marry Vainamoinen.
(c) She tells Vainamoinen that he is too old for her to marry.
(d) She says that she would be honored to marry Vainamoinen,
3. What does Vainamoinen do when he agrees to take what Joukahainen offers?
(a) He allows Joukahainen to be drowned.
(b) He allows Joukahainen to return home.
(c) He humiliates Joukahainen by turning him into a spider.
(d) He tells Joukahainen the story of his own miserable future.
4. What does Joukahainen offer Vainamoinen after Vainamoinen listens to his story?
(a) Magic cloaks and swords.
(b) Jewels and gold.
(c) Gold, horses, and armor.
(d) His life.
5. Who asks Vainamoinen where he is sailing?
(d) The maid of Pohja.
6. What does Markahattu do to Lemmenkainen?
(a) He feeds his body to bees.
(b) He burns his body in a fire.
(c) He feeds his body to birds.
(d) He disposes of his body in a river.
7. What does Vainamoinen go fishing for in part 5?
(d) Aino's body.
8. What gift does Joukahainen offer that finally convinces Vainamoinen to let him go free?
(a) A necklace.
(b) The secret to his immortality.
(c) His sister.
(d) A magical robe.
9. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen agree to do when they arrive where they are going?
(a) They agree to let the Maid of Pohja choose between them.
(b) They agree to fight to the death.
(c) They agree not to fight over the Maid of Pohja's hand.
(d) They agree to gamble for the Maid of Pohja's hand.
10. What song does Louhi's child sing after Vainamoinen has completed the tasks?
(a) A song about a hunter who captured a magical deer.
(b) A song about a maiden who married a god.
(c) A song about a turtle who carried a magical world on his back.
(d) A song about an eagle that carried away maiden.
11. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
(a) He returns to the room with a knife.
(b) He waits for Lemmenkainen outside.
(c) He gathers the others and arranges an ambush.
(d) He accuses Lemmenkainen of witchcraft.
12. Whom does Lemminkainen resolve to win?
(d) The Maid of Pohja.
13. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
(a) Vainamoinen says that he has the help of the Daughter of the Underworld.
(b) Vainamoinen makes increasingly violent threats to Vipunen.
(c) Vainamoinen promises to torture Vipunen.
(d) Vainamoinen says that he feels perfectly at home and will not leave.
14. How does Vainamoinen escape from the Underworld?
(a) He offers to marry the Daughter of the Underworld.
(b) He transforms himself into a small snake-like animal.
(c) He defeats Vipunen in single combat.
(d) He wrestles with the three-headed dog that guards the entrance to the Underworld.
15. What does Joukahainen do when he meets Vainamoinen?
(a) He challenges Vainamoinen to a javelin contest.
(b) He challenges Vainamoinen to a wrestling match.
(c) He challenges Vainamoinen to a storytelling contest.
(d) He challenges Vainamoinen to a race.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
2. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
3. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
4. Where does Joukahainen find Vainamoinen?
5. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)