|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(b) A very small man.
(c) Two farmers.
2. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
3. What song does Louhi's child sing after Vainamoinen has completed the tasks?
(a) A song about a maiden who married a god.
(b) A song about a turtle who carried a magical world on his back.
(c) A song about a hunter who captured a magical deer.
(d) A song about an eagle that carried away maiden.
4. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
(a) To the ocean.
(b) To the mountains.
(c) To his mother.
(d) To the land of Pohja.
5. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
(a) He wants to repay Vainamoinen for the indignities he suffered.
(b) He is full of admiration.
(c) He is jealousy and resentful.
(d) He is anxious to make an alliance with Vainamoinen.
6. Who comes to the shore to see who has arrived there?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
(c) The Lord of Pohja.
7. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
(a) That mortals are rarely allowed to leave.
(b) The method for making better ships.
(c) The secret of immortality.
(d) The wisdom of the gods.
8. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
(c) Aino's mother.
9. What happens when the eagle drops Vainamoinen?
(a) Vainamoinen kills Joukahainen.
(b) Vainamoinen finds Aino in the form of an elk.
(c) Vainamoinen gets lonely and begins to cry.
(d) Vainamoinen finds the cave with the jewels.
10. Where does Vainamoinen want to send his friend Sampsa at the beginning of part 16?
(a) To Lemmenkainen with a challenge.
(b) To Louhi's house with a message.
(c) On a journey of discovery.
(d) On a quest in search of wood.
11. What does Vainamoinen tell the living creatures after he returns from the Underworld?
(a) He describes the horrors he saw.
(b) He tells them the magic words he learned there.
(c) He tells them not to go there themselves.
(d) He tells them all about the Daughter of the Underworld.
12. Where does Lemminkainen take his new bride?
(a) To the land of Pohja.
(b) To the seaside.
(c) Home to his hovel.
(d) Home to his castle.
13. Whose help does Vipunen ask for, to help him get rid of Vainamoinen?
(a) Vainamoinen's mother.
(d) The gods.
14. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
(a) The story of discovery of language.
(b) The story of the first man.
(c) The story of how he first heard his story.
(d) The story of how the world was made.
15. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
(a) She tells Vainamoinen that he is too old for her to marry.
(b) She says that she would be honored to marry Vainamoinen,
(c) She says that she does not like sailors and will not marry Vainamoinen.
(d) She says that her father has forbidden her to marry Vainamoinen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Vainamoinen where he is sailing?
2. What do the gods decide to do when they hear Lemmenkainen bragging?
3. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
4. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
5. What is the name of the baby the Water-Mother is carrying?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)