|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joukahainen do when he meets Vainamoinen?
(a) He challenges Vainamoinen to a javelin contest.
(b) He challenges Vainamoinen to a race.
(c) He challenges Vainamoinen to a storytelling contest.
(d) He challenges Vainamoinen to a wrestling match.
2. Where does Joukahainen find Vainamoinen?
(a) On the beach.
(b) Crossing the ocean.
(c) In the forest.
(d) In the desert.
3. What does Louhi ask from Vainamoinen in return for her help?
(a) She asks him to build a grinder.
(b) She asks him to marry her daughter.
(c) She asks him to tame the man-eating horses.
(d) She asks him to ride a magic horse.
4. What does the Storyteller tell us in the first stanzas?
(a) He describes the people whose epic he is going to sing.
(b) He announces that he is going to sing of war and gods.
(c) He describes the beginning of the world.
(d) He describes his need to pass on the ancient wisdom.
5. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
(a) She describes Joukahainen's gambling debts.
(b) She tells Aino about her brother's treacherous history.
(c) She tells Aino about the jewels hidden in the cave.
(d) She tells Aino about how Aino's father won her hand by betraying his family.
6. Where does Vainamoinen's mother suggest he look for a bride?
(a) At the bottom of the sea.
(b) In the cave of jewels.
(c) In the Land of Pohja.
(d) In the ocean.
7. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
(a) He takes a job as a shepherd.
(b) He tricks her into coming to his hut.
(c) He bribes the Creator.
(d) He bribes the woman's brother.
8. What does Markahattu do to Lemmenkainen?
(a) He disposes of his body in a river.
(b) He burns his body in a fire.
(c) He feeds his body to bees.
(d) He feeds his body to birds.
9. Who sets out the series of tasks Vainamoinen must complete if he is going to marry?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
10. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
11. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
(a) The story of how the world was made.
(b) The story of the first man.
(c) The story of how he first heard his story.
(d) The story of discovery of language.
12. What is Joukahainen's mother's reaction to Aino's marriage to Vainamoinen?
(a) She is distraught that Aino will be married to an old man.
(b) She is delighted that Aino will be married to someone of such repute.
(c) She is envious of her daughter's good fortune.
(d) She is furious that Aino will be married to her enemy.
13. What does Vainamoinen build to convince Vipunen to tell him what he wants to know?
(a) A castle.
(b) A hovel.
(c) A forge.
(d) A grinder.
14. What does Lemmenkainen do when his happiness with Kyllikki ends?
(a) He gives Kyllikki back to her mother.
(b) He resolves to travel to Pohja.
(c) He sends Kyllikki away.
(d) He marries Kyllikki to the Moon.
15. Who impregnates the Water-Mother?
(a) An acorn.
(c) The sea.
(d) A small bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
2. Whom does Lemminkainen resolve to win?
3. What does Vainamoinen ride on his journey?
4. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
5. What is happening when the Water-Mother experiences an upsurge of energy?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)