|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person who comes to meet Vainamoinen say that Vainamoinen's purpose is when he arrives back home?
(a) To marry Louhi.
(b) To seek an alliance with Annikki.
(c) To defeat Ilmarinen.
(d) To marry the Maid of Pohja.
2. What does Vainamoinen ride on his journey?
(a) A magical crow.
(b) An burro.
(c) A magical elk.
(d) A magical salmon.
3. What does Aino do in response to Vainamoinen's request?
(a) She refuses to renounce her family.
(b) She offers to betray her brother.
(c) She renounces her father.
(d) She drops her jewelry on the ground and runs home.
4. When Vainamoinen's finally arrives at his destination, how is his arrival first announced?
(a) Watchdogs bark at him
(b) He appears in court.
(c) His fighting with Ilmarinen can be heard in advance of their arrival.
(d) He announces themselves on the shore.
5. What is the little maid doing when she hears Vainamoinen?
(a) She is taking off her jewels.
(b) She is fishing.
(c) She is doing her daily chores.
(d) She is collecting firewood.
6. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen agree to do when they arrive where they are going?
(a) They agree to gamble for the Maid of Pohja's hand.
(b) They agree not to fight over the Maid of Pohja's hand.
(c) They agree to fight to the death.
(d) They agree to let the Maid of Pohja choose between them.
7. What is Vainamoinen missing as he works with the wood Sampsa brought him?
(a) Gum for caulking.
(b) Iron hoops.
(c) A helper.
(d) Three magic words.
8. What does Joukahainen offer Vainamoinen after Vainamoinen listens to his story?
(a) Jewels and gold.
(b) Gold, horses, and armor.
(c) His life.
(d) Magic cloaks and swords.
9. What is Joukahainen's mother's reaction to Aino's marriage to Vainamoinen?
(a) She is delighted that Aino will be married to someone of such repute.
(b) She is envious of her daughter's good fortune.
(c) She is furious that Aino will be married to her enemy.
(d) She is distraught that Aino will be married to an old man.
10. What does Lemmenkainen's mother ask of Ilmarinen?
(a) She asks him to make a rake for her.
(b) She asks him to knit Lemmenkainen back together.
(c) She asks him to build her a Sampo.
(d) She asks him for a potion that will heal Lemmenkainen.
11. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
(a) To the land of Pohja.
(b) To his mother.
(c) To the mountains.
(d) To the ocean.
12. Where does Vainamoinen's mother suggest he look for a bride?
(a) In the cave of jewels.
(b) In the Land of Pohja.
(c) In the ocean.
(d) At the bottom of the sea.
13. What happens after Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
(a) Vainamoinen dies on the beach.
(b) Vainamoinen dies in the forest.
(c) Vainamoinen swims for his life.
(d) Vainamoinen saves the arrows for his revenge.
14. Where does Joukahainen find Vainamoinen?
(a) In the desert.
(b) On the beach.
(c) Crossing the ocean.
(d) In the forest.
15. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
(a) Shapes it into a series of tools.
(b) Builds a lodge.
(c) Builds a house.
(d) Shapes it into a boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the water mother's baby do when he is born?
2. What does the Storyteller tell us in the first stanzas?
3. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
4. Who ultimately helps Louhi do what she wants done?
5. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)