|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Louhi ask from Vainamoinen in return for her help?
(a) She asks him to ride a magic horse.
(b) She asks him to build a grinder.
(c) She asks him to marry her daughter.
(d) She asks him to tame the man-eating horses.
2. What does the Storyteller tell us in the first stanzas?
(a) He announces that he is going to sing of war and gods.
(b) He describes the people whose epic he is going to sing.
(c) He describes the beginning of the world.
(d) He describes his need to pass on the ancient wisdom.
3. Which tree agrees to Sampsa's proposal to cut the tree down?
(a) A spruce.
(b) A cedar.
(c) A fir.
(d) An oak.
4. What does Vainamoinen tell Louhi in response to her request?
(a) He tells Louhi that he does not want to marry her daughter.
(b) He tells Louhi that what she asks cannot be done.
(c) He does what she asks and marries her daughter.
(d) He tells Louhi that he knows someone who can do what she wants done.
5. Who is not banished from the fire by Lemmenkainen's magical songs?
6. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A cannon.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A crossbow with poisoned arrows.
7. Who helps Lemmenkainen's mother reassemble Lemmenkainen's body?
(a) A dolphin.
(b) Louhi's daughter.
(c) A snake.
(d) A bee.
8. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
(a) He kills Joukahainen with a sword.
(b) He causes a swamp to rise up around Joukahainen.
(c) He runs and hides himself away.
(d) He slanders Joukahainen to the other listeners.
9. What are Joukahainen's stories like?
(a) They are stories of battles and tournaments.
(b) They are wise and considered.
(c) They are colorful and interesting.
(d) They are childish and shallow.
10. What condition does Louhi impose on Lemmenkainen before she can give him what he wants?
(a) He has to go out on snowshoes and capture a mighty elk.
(b) He has to defeat the gods in a hunting contest.
(c) He has to walk across the ocean.
(d) He has to defeat Markahattu in a storytelling contest.
11. What do the gods decide to do when they hear Lemmenkainen bragging?
(a) They send him on a wild chase after an elk.
(b) They make him fall into a deep sleep.
(c) They discourage him in the shape of his mother.
(d) They turn him into a goose.
12. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
(b) Aino's mother.
13. Where does Vainamoinen's mother suggest he look for a bride?
(a) In the Land of Pohja.
(b) In the ocean.
(c) At the bottom of the sea.
(d) In the cave of jewels.
14. What happens when Vainamoinen wrestles with Vipunen?
(a) Vainamoinen swallows Vipunen.
(b) Vainamoinen swallows the Daughter of the Underworld.
(c) Vipunen tells Vainamoinen what he wants to know.
(d) Vipunen swallows Vainamoinen.
15. What does Vainamoinen build to convince Vipunen to tell him what he wants to know?
(a) A forge.
(b) A hovel.
(c) A castle.
(d) A grinder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
2. Who is the Maid of Pohja?
3. What kind of tree does Vainamoinen plant?
4. Where does Joukahainen find Vainamoinen?
5. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)