|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
(a) She says that she does not like sailors and will not marry Vainamoinen.
(b) She says that her father has forbidden her to marry Vainamoinen.
(c) She says that she would be honored to marry Vainamoinen,
(d) She tells Vainamoinen that he is too old for her to marry.
2. Where does Vainamoinen plant his tree?
(a) In an eggshell.
(b) In the ashes of a fire.
(c) In a bird's nest.
(d) In the ocean.
3. What does Ilmarinen ride off on, after he finds out where Vainamoinen is going?
(a) A crow's back.
(b) A hand-made boat.
(c) A magic sledge.
(d) A magic carpet.
4. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
(a) She convinces her son to kill him.
(b) She protects him from her son.
(c) She offers him her daughter's hand.
(d) She takes him to her home and bathes him.
5. What condition does Louhi impose on Lemmenkainen before she can give him what he wants?
(a) He has to defeat Markahattu in a storytelling contest.
(b) He has to defeat the gods in a hunting contest.
(c) He has to walk across the ocean.
(d) He has to go out on snowshoes and capture a mighty elk.
6. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
(a) He bribes the Creator.
(b) He takes a job as a shepherd.
(c) He tricks her into coming to his hut.
(d) He bribes the woman's brother.
7. What prayer does Lemmenkainen make after his snowshoes break?
(a) He prays that Kyllikki will leave him alone.
(b) He prays for Louhi's daughter's hand in marriage.
(c) He prays for the intelligence to outwit the elk.
(d) He prays that no hunters will hunt for elk in this forest.
8. What happens when Vainamoinen wrestles with Vipunen?
(a) Vipunen swallows Vainamoinen.
(b) Vipunen tells Vainamoinen what he wants to know.
(c) Vainamoinen swallows the Daughter of the Underworld.
(d) Vainamoinen swallows Vipunen.
9. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
(a) Shapes it into a series of tools.
(b) Builds a house.
(c) Builds a lodge.
(d) Shapes it into a boat.
10. What does Vainamoinen tell the living creatures after he returns from the Underworld?
(a) He tells them all about the Daughter of the Underworld.
(b) He tells them the magic words he learned there.
(c) He tells them not to go there themselves.
(d) He describes the horrors he saw.
11. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
(a) The story of discovery of language.
(b) The story of how he first heard his story.
(c) The story of the first man.
(d) The story of how the world was made.
12. What does Vainamoinen answer when he is asked where he is sailing to?
(a) He says he is sailing to Ilmarinen.
(b) He lies a first and then says he is sailing to Pohja.
(c) He says he is sailing to the dawn.
(d) He says he is sailing home.
13. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
(a) She tells Aino about her brother's treacherous history.
(b) She tells Aino about how Aino's father won her hand by betraying his family.
(c) She describes Joukahainen's gambling debts.
(d) She tells Aino about the jewels hidden in the cave.
14. What does Joukahainen offer Vainamoinen after Vainamoinen listens to his story?
(a) Magic cloaks and swords.
(b) Gold, horses, and armor.
(c) Jewels and gold.
(d) His life.
15. What kind of tree does Vainamoinen plant?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which tree agrees to Sampsa's proposal to cut the tree down?
2. What does the Storyteller tell us in the first stanzas?
3. What does Joukahainen do when he meets Vainamoinen?
4. What is the little maid doing when she hears Vainamoinen?
5. What song does Louhi's child sing after Vainamoinen has completed the tasks?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)