|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lemmenkainen demand of Louhi after he banishes the storytellers?
(a) He wants to know the secret of her immortality.
(b) He wants to know how to get rid of Markahattu.
(c) He wants her to give him her daughter in marriage.
(d) He wants to know who he will marry.
2. What does Vainamoinen go fishing for in part 5?
(a) Aino's body.
3. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
(c) Aino's mother.
4. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
(a) He is known as a fair and kind king to his people.
(b) He is known as a strange magician.
(c) He is known as a wise and wonderful storyteller.
(d) He is known as a powerful warrior.
5. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
(a) The story of the first man.
(b) The story of how the world was made.
(c) The story of discovery of language.
(d) The story of how he first heard his story.
6. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
(a) That mortals are rarely allowed to leave.
(b) The method for making better ships.
(c) The wisdom of the gods.
(d) The secret of immortality.
7. How does Vainamoinen escape from the Underworld?
(a) He wrestles with the three-headed dog that guards the entrance to the Underworld.
(b) He defeats Vipunen in single combat.
(c) He offers to marry the Daughter of the Underworld.
(d) He transforms himself into a small snake-like animal.
8. What is Vainamoinen missing as he works with the wood Sampsa brought him?
(a) A helper.
(b) Gum for caulking.
(c) Three magic words.
(d) Iron hoops.
9. What is the name of the baby the Water-Mother is carrying?
(c) The Maid of Pohja.
10. What does Vainamoinen build to convince Vipunen to tell him what he wants to know?
(a) A forge.
(b) A grinder.
(c) A hovel.
(d) A castle.
11. What does Vainamoinen resolve to build at the beginning of Part 16?
(a) A boat.
(b) A tree.
(c) A cave.
(d) A tampo.
12. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
(a) She tells him the secret of Vainamoinen's vulnerability.
(b) She tells him where to find him.
(c) She tells him not to do it.
(d) She tells him where to aim.
13. What name is the Water-Mother given?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
(d) Earth Mother.
14. What do Vainamoinen and Ilmarinen agree to do when they arrive where they are going?
(a) They agree to gamble for the Maid of Pohja's hand.
(b) They agree not to fight over the Maid of Pohja's hand.
(c) They agree to let the Maid of Pohja choose between them.
(d) They agree to fight to the death.
15. What does Lemmenkainen do when his happiness with Kyllikki ends?
(a) He gives Kyllikki back to her mother.
(b) He marries Kyllikki to the Moon.
(c) He resolves to travel to Pohja.
(d) He sends Kyllikki away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Vainamoinen want to send his friend Sampsa at the beginning of part 16?
2. What are Joukahainen's stories like?
3. What does Lemminkainen tell his bride when he arrives where he takes her?
4. What does Aino tell her mother when her mother asks about Aino's walk with Vainamoinen?
5. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)