|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition does Louhi impose on Lemmenkainen before she can give him what he wants?
(a) He has to defeat the gods in a hunting contest.
(b) He has to go out on snowshoes and capture a mighty elk.
(c) He has to walk across the ocean.
(d) He has to defeat Markahattu in a storytelling contest.
2. What is the name of the baby the Water-Mother is carrying?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
3. What does Vainamoinen do when Louhi offers him food?
(a) He says that all he wants is go home.
(b) He passes out from exhaustion.
(c) He eats and is indebted to Louhi.
(d) He refuses the food because he is still grieving for Aino.
4. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
(a) She says that she does not like sailors and will not marry Vainamoinen.
(b) She says that her father has forbidden her to marry Vainamoinen.
(c) She tells Vainamoinen that he is too old for her to marry.
(d) She says that she would be honored to marry Vainamoinen,
5. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
(a) The story of the first man.
(b) The story of how he first heard his story.
(c) The story of how the world was made.
(d) The story of discovery of language.
6. What does Ilmarinen ride off on, after he finds out where Vainamoinen is going?
(a) A magic carpet.
(b) A hand-made boat.
(c) A crow's back.
(d) A magic sledge.
7. Who collects the chips that come from cutting down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(c) The Maid of Pohja.
8. What does Aino tell her mother when her mother asks about Aino's walk with Vainamoinen?
(a) Aino tells her that she was set upon by thieves.
(b) Aino tells her mother that Vainamoinen is plotting against the family.
(c) Aino tells her the truth about how she lost her jewelry.
(d) Aino tells her mother that Vainamoinen stole her jewelry.
9. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(b) A very small man.
(c) Two farmers.
10. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
(a) He kills Joukahainen with a sword.
(b) He causes a swamp to rise up around Joukahainen.
(c) He slanders Joukahainen to the other listeners.
(d) He runs and hides himself away.
11. Who sets out the series of tasks Vainamoinen must complete if he is going to marry?
(c) The Maid of Pohja.
12. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
(a) Vainamoinen says that he feels perfectly at home and will not leave.
(b) Vainamoinen promises to torture Vipunen.
(c) Vainamoinen makes increasingly violent threats to Vipunen.
(d) Vainamoinen says that he has the help of the Daughter of the Underworld.
13. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
(a) Builds a house.
(b) Shapes it into a boat.
(c) Shapes it into a series of tools.
(d) Builds a lodge.
14. Who asks Vainamoinen where he is sailing?
(d) The maid of Pohja.
15. Which tree agrees to Sampsa's proposal to cut the tree down?
(a) A cedar.
(b) A fir.
(c) A spruce.
(d) An oak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening when the Water-Mother experiences an upsurge of energy?
2. Where does Vainamoinen's mother suggest he look for a bride?
3. What happens when Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
4. Where does Lemminkainen take his new bride?
5. Who impregnates the Water-Mother?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)