|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does this lumberjack cut down such an enormous tree?
(a) He turns into a huge, armor clad warrior.
(b) He calls a team of lumberjacks.
(c) He pulls the tree up with his bare hands.
(d) He summons a team of beavers.
2. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(c) A very small man.
(d) Two farmers.
3. What name is the Water-Mother given?
(c) Earth Mother.
(d) The Maid of Pohja.
4. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
(a) A crossbow with poisoned arrows.
(b) A cannon.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A pistol.
5. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
(a) She tells Vainamoinen that he is too old for her to marry.
(b) She says that she would be honored to marry Vainamoinen,
(c) She says that she does not like sailors and will not marry Vainamoinen.
(d) She says that her father has forbidden her to marry Vainamoinen.
6. What condition is the Water-Mother trying to find relief from?
(a) She has been drowned in a flood.
(b) She suffers a broken foot.
(c) She has been split off from the male counterpart of the cosmos.
(d) She suffers a pregnancy she cannot give birth to.
7. When Vainamoinen's finally arrives at his destination, how is his arrival first announced?
(a) He announces themselves on the shore.
(b) He appears in court.
(c) Watchdogs bark at him
(d) His fighting with Ilmarinen can be heard in advance of their arrival.
8. What does the water mother's baby do when he is born?
(a) Conquers his father's henchmen.
(b) Looks for someone to sow seeds in the land.
(c) Looks for his father.
(d) Looks for a place to build a castle.
9. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
(a) He bribes the woman's brother.
(b) He bribes the Creator.
(c) He takes a job as a shepherd.
(d) He tricks her into coming to his hut.
10. What does Lemmenkainen demand of Louhi after he banishes the storytellers?
(a) He wants to know how to get rid of Markahattu.
(b) He wants her to give him her daughter in marriage.
(c) He wants to know the secret of her immortality.
(d) He wants to know who he will marry.
11. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
(a) She tells Aino about how Aino's father won her hand by betraying his family.
(b) She tells Aino about the jewels hidden in the cave.
(c) She describes Joukahainen's gambling debts.
(d) She tells Aino about her brother's treacherous history.
12. Where does Joukahainen find Vainamoinen?
(a) In the forest.
(b) Crossing the ocean.
(c) In the desert.
(d) On the beach.
13. What is the little maid doing when she hears Vainamoinen?
(a) She is taking off her jewels.
(b) She is fishing.
(c) She is collecting firewood.
(d) She is doing her daily chores.
14. What does Lemmenkainen do when his happiness with Kyllikki ends?
(a) He resolves to travel to Pohja.
(b) He sends Kyllikki away.
(c) He marries Kyllikki to the Moon.
(d) He gives Kyllikki back to her mother.
15. What happens when Lemmenkainen catches the elk?
(a) He kills it.
(b) He leads it back to Louhi.
(c) It attacks a village.
(d) It escapes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Joukahainen's stories like?
2. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
3. What does Ilmarinen ride off on, after he finds out where Vainamoinen is going?
4. Who comes to the shore to see who has arrived there?
5. What sound does Vainamoinen find sad after he goes fishing?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)