|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(a) Two farmers.
(b) A very small man.
2. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
(a) He causes a swamp to rise up around Joukahainen.
(b) He kills Joukahainen with a sword.
(c) He runs and hides himself away.
(d) He slanders Joukahainen to the other listeners.
3. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A crossbow with poisoned arrows.
(d) A cannon.
4. What does Vainamoinen answer when he is asked where he is sailing to?
(a) He says he is sailing to the dawn.
(b) He says he is sailing to Ilmarinen.
(c) He lies a first and then says he is sailing to Pohja.
(d) He says he is sailing home.
5. What does Lemmenkainen demand of Louhi after he banishes the storytellers?
(a) He wants to know how to get rid of Markahattu.
(b) He wants her to give him her daughter in marriage.
(c) He wants to know who he will marry.
(d) He wants to know the secret of her immortality.
6. What does Lemminkainen tell his bride when he arrives where he takes her?
(a) He threatens to kill her if she tries to escape.
(b) He tells her the conditions she has to meet for him to free her.
(c) He tells her why he abducted her.
(d) He promises to build her a bigger house.
7. What do the gods decide to do when they hear Lemmenkainen bragging?
(a) They discourage him in the shape of his mother.
(b) They make him fall into a deep sleep.
(c) They send him on a wild chase after an elk.
(d) They turn him into a goose.
8. Where does Joukahainen find Vainamoinen?
(a) Crossing the ocean.
(b) In the desert.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In the forest.
9. What does Vainamoinen ride on his journey?
(a) A magical salmon.
(b) A magical elk.
(c) An burro.
(d) A magical crow.
10. What is happening when the Water-Mother experiences an upsurge of energy?
(a) Monsters are swallowing the sun.
(b) Lemminkainen is being born.
(c) The Maid of Pohja is singing to her.
(d) The small bird's eggs are hatching on her knee.
11. What does Vainamoinen catch?
(a) He catches a number of fish, but none of them is Aino.
(b) He catches a fish that tells him how to catch Aino.
(c) He catches a salmon that was in fact Aino.
(d) He catches Aino, who tells him a new technique for catching fish.
12. What are Joukahainen's stories like?
(a) They are wise and considered.
(b) They are stories of battles and tournaments.
(c) They are childish and shallow.
(d) They are colorful and interesting.
13. What happens when Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
(a) His third shot kills the magical elk.
(b) His mother intervenes to protect Vainamoinen.
(c) His first shot kills Vainamoinen.
(d) His second shot kills Vainamoinen.
14. What is Vainamoinen missing as he works with the wood Sampsa brought him?
(a) A helper.
(b) Iron hoops.
(c) Gum for caulking.
(d) Three magic words.
15. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
(a) He takes a job as a shepherd.
(b) He tricks her into coming to his hut.
(c) He bribes the Creator.
(d) He bribes the woman's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen tell the living creatures after he returns from the Underworld?
2. How does Vainamoinen escape from the Underworld?
3. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
4. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
5. What does Joukahainen offer Vainamoinen after Vainamoinen listens to his story?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)