|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
(a) He is known as a fair and kind king to his people.
(b) He is known as a wise and wonderful storyteller.
(c) He is known as a strange magician.
(d) He is known as a powerful warrior.
2. What is Joukahainen's mother's reaction to Aino's marriage to Vainamoinen?
(a) She is distraught that Aino will be married to an old man.
(b) She is furious that Aino will be married to her enemy.
(c) She is envious of her daughter's good fortune.
(d) She is delighted that Aino will be married to someone of such repute.
3. Where does Vainamoinen plant his tree?
(a) In the ocean.
(b) In the ashes of a fire.
(c) In a bird's nest.
(d) In an eggshell.
4. What does Markahattu do to Lemmenkainen?
(a) He feeds his body to bees.
(b) He feeds his body to birds.
(c) He disposes of his body in a river.
(d) He burns his body in a fire.
5. Whose help does Vipunen ask for, to help him get rid of Vainamoinen?
(a) Vainamoinen's mother.
(b) The gods.
6. What does Vainamoinen ask Aino to do for him when they are walking through the forest together?
(a) Betray her brother.
(b) Wear her jewelry.
(c) Take off her jewelry.
(d) Renounce her father.
7. What does Vainamoinen tell the living creatures after he returns from the Underworld?
(a) He tells them not to go there themselves.
(b) He tells them all about the Daughter of the Underworld.
(c) He describes the horrors he saw.
(d) He tells them the magic words he learned there.
8. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
(a) He runs and hides himself away.
(b) He causes a swamp to rise up around Joukahainen.
(c) He slanders Joukahainen to the other listeners.
(d) He kills Joukahainen with a sword.
9. What kind of tree does Vainamoinen plant?
10. What happens when Lemmenkainen catches the elk?
(a) It attacks a village.
(b) He kills it.
(c) He leads it back to Louhi.
(d) It escapes.
11. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
(a) Vainamoinen says that he feels perfectly at home and will not leave.
(b) Vainamoinen makes increasingly violent threats to Vipunen.
(c) Vainamoinen promises to torture Vipunen.
(d) Vainamoinen says that he has the help of the Daughter of the Underworld.
12. Who is the Maid of Pohja?
(a) Louhi's daughter.
(b) Joukahainen's youngest sister.
(d) Vainamoinen's cousin.
13. What does Vainamoinen do when Louhi offers him food?
(a) He passes out from exhaustion.
(b) He refuses the food because he is still grieving for Aino.
(c) He eats and is indebted to Louhi.
(d) He says that all he wants is go home.
14. What does Vainamoinen build to convince Vipunen to tell him what he wants to know?
(a) A forge.
(b) A castle.
(c) A grinder.
(d) A hovel.
15. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
(a) She tells Aino about her brother's treacherous history.
(b) She describes Joukahainen's gambling debts.
(c) She tells Aino about how Aino's father won her hand by betraying his family.
(d) She tells Aino about the jewels hidden in the cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
2. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
3. Which tree does Vainamoinen leave standing?
4. What was the Water-Mother's name before she became the Water-Mother?
5. Who helps Lemmenkainen capture the elk after his snowshoes break?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)