|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound does Vainamoinen find sad after he goes fishing?
(a) The hummingbird's wings.
(b) The crow's call.
(c) The cuckoo's song.
(d) The nightingale's song.
2. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
(a) She wants Ilmarinen to marry the maid of Pohja.
(b) She wants to make sure that Vainamoinen does not reveal Ilmarinen's secrets.
(c) She wants Ilmarinen to get his revenge on Vainamoinen.
(d) She wants to set up a meeting between Ilmarinen and Vainamoinen.
3. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
(a) She convinces her son to kill him.
(b) She takes him to her home and bathes him.
(c) She protects him from her son.
(d) She offers him her daughter's hand.
4. What kind of tree does Vainamoinen plant?
5. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
6. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
(d) The Maid of Pohja.
7. What was the Water-Mother's name before she became the Water-Mother?
(b) Daughter of the Air.
(c) The Maid of Pohja.
8. What does Louhi ask from Vainamoinen in return for her help?
(a) She asks him to build a grinder.
(b) She asks him to ride a magic horse.
(c) She asks him to marry her daughter.
(d) She asks him to tame the man-eating horses.
9. Which tree does Vainamoinen leave standing?
(a) The birch.
(b) The aspen.
(c) The oak.
(d) The laurel.
10. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
(a) He bribes the woman's brother.
(b) He bribes the Creator.
(c) He takes a job as a shepherd.
(d) He tricks her into coming to his hut.
11. What does Vainamoinen resolve to build at the beginning of Part 16?
(a) A boat.
(b) A tree.
(c) A cave.
(d) A tampo.
12. What does Joukahainen offer Vainamoinen after Vainamoinen listens to his story?
(a) His life.
(b) Gold, horses, and armor.
(c) Magic cloaks and swords.
(d) Jewels and gold.
13. Whose help does Vipunen ask for, to help him get rid of Vainamoinen?
(c) Vainamoinen's mother.
(d) The gods.
14. What does Aino do in response to Vainamoinen's request?
(a) She renounces her father.
(b) She drops her jewelry on the ground and runs home.
(c) She refuses to renounce her family.
(d) She offers to betray her brother.
15. What does Vainamoinen ask Aino to do for him when they are walking through the forest together?
(a) Betray her brother.
(b) Take off her jewelry.
(c) Wear her jewelry.
(d) Renounce her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prayer does Lemmenkainen make after his snowshoes break?
2. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
3. What is Vainamoinen missing as he works with the wood Sampsa brought him?
4. What condition is the Water-Mother trying to find relief from?
5. What does Vainamoinen catch?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)