|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen catch?
(a) He catches Aino, who tells him a new technique for catching fish.
(b) He catches a fish that tells him how to catch Aino.
(c) He catches a salmon that was in fact Aino.
(d) He catches a number of fish, but none of them is Aino.
2. What happens when the eagle drops Vainamoinen?
(a) Vainamoinen kills Joukahainen.
(b) Vainamoinen finds Aino in the form of an elk.
(c) Vainamoinen finds the cave with the jewels.
(d) Vainamoinen gets lonely and begins to cry.
3. Who is the Maid of Pohja?
(b) Louhi's daughter.
(c) Vainamoinen's cousin.
(d) Joukahainen's youngest sister.
4. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(b) Two farmers.
(c) A very small man.
5. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
(a) She tells Aino about how Aino's father won her hand by betraying his family.
(b) She tells Aino about the jewels hidden in the cave.
(c) She tells Aino about her brother's treacherous history.
(d) She describes Joukahainen's gambling debts.
6. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
(a) She takes him to her home and bathes him.
(b) She offers him her daughter's hand.
(c) She protects him from her son.
(d) She convinces her son to kill him.
7. What does Lemmenkainen decide to do after he is reassembled and brought back to life?
(a) He resolves to revenge himself on Markahattu.
(b) He resolves to marry Louhi's daughter at any cost.
(c) He takes his magic cloak back to Louhi's house.
(d) He decides to live with his mother.
8. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
(a) Shapes it into a boat.
(b) Shapes it into a series of tools.
(c) Builds a lodge.
(d) Builds a house.
9. How does Aino's mother console her when Aino is crying about marrying Vainamoinen?
(a) She introduces Aino to the transcendent nature of family.
(b) She says that her family's home is not the only place where flowers bloom.
(c) She tells Aino that this will be the perfect opportunity for the family to take revenge.
(d) She reminds Aino that she left her own home when she married.
10. Where does the Storyteller get his story?
(a) From his children.
(b) From his parents.
(c) From a bird.
(d) From the ocean.
11. What does Vainamoinen go fishing for in part 5?
(b) Aino's body.
12. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
(a) Vainamoinen says that he has the help of the Daughter of the Underworld.
(b) Vainamoinen says that he feels perfectly at home and will not leave.
(c) Vainamoinen promises to torture Vipunen.
(d) Vainamoinen makes increasingly violent threats to Vipunen.
13. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
(a) That mortals are rarely allowed to leave.
(b) The wisdom of the gods.
(c) The method for making better ships.
(d) The secret of immortality.
14. What does Ilmarinen ride off on, after he finds out where Vainamoinen is going?
(a) A hand-made boat.
(b) A crow's back.
(c) A magic sledge.
(d) A magic carpet.
15. Whom does Lemminkainen resolve to win?
(d) The Maid of Pohja.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is the Water-Mother given?
2. Who ultimately helps Louhi do what she wants done?
3. What does Lemminkainen tell his bride when he arrives where he takes her?
4. What is happening when the Water-Mother experiences an upsurge of energy?
5. What does Lemmenkainen do when his happiness with Kyllikki ends?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)