|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen catch?
(a) He catches Aino, who tells him a new technique for catching fish.
(b) He catches a fish that tells him how to catch Aino.
(c) He catches a salmon that was in fact Aino.
(d) He catches a number of fish, but none of them is Aino.
2. What happens when Lemmenkainen catches the elk?
(a) He kills it.
(b) It attacks a village.
(c) He leads it back to Louhi.
(d) It escapes.
3. Where does Lemminkainen take his new bride?
(a) Home to his hovel.
(b) To the land of Pohja.
(c) Home to his castle.
(d) To the seaside.
4. What does Joukahainen offer Vainamoinen after Vainamoinen listens to his story?
(a) His life.
(b) Gold, horses, and armor.
(c) Jewels and gold.
(d) Magic cloaks and swords.
5. What does Louhi do when she finds Vainamoinen?
(a) She protects him from her son.
(b) She convinces her son to kill him.
(c) She offers him her daughter's hand.
(d) She takes him to her home and bathes him.
6. What does Aino do in response to Vainamoinen's request?
(a) She drops her jewelry on the ground and runs home.
(b) She renounces her father.
(c) She refuses to renounce her family.
(d) She offers to betray her brother.
7. What was the Water-Mother's name before she became the Water-Mother?
(c) The Maid of Pohja.
(d) Daughter of the Air.
8. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(a) Two farmers.
(b) A very small man.
9. How does Aino's mother console her when Aino is crying about marrying Vainamoinen?
(a) She reminds Aino that she left her own home when she married.
(b) She tells Aino that this will be the perfect opportunity for the family to take revenge.
(c) She says that her family's home is not the only place where flowers bloom.
(d) She introduces Aino to the transcendent nature of family.
10. Who is the Maid of Pohja?
(a) Louhi's daughter.
(c) Vainamoinen's cousin.
(d) Joukahainen's youngest sister.
11. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
(a) She tells him where to aim.
(b) She tells him not to do it.
(c) She tells him where to find him.
(d) She tells him the secret of Vainamoinen's vulnerability.
12. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
(a) Vainamoinen makes increasingly violent threats to Vipunen.
(b) Vainamoinen says that he has the help of the Daughter of the Underworld.
(c) Vainamoinen says that he feels perfectly at home and will not leave.
(d) Vainamoinen promises to torture Vipunen.
13. Who helps Lemmenkainen capture the elk after his snowshoes break?
(a) Louhi's daughter's governess.
(b) The god of the dark cave.
(c) The gods of the forest.
(d) The gods of the mountains.
14. Who ultimately helps Louhi do what she wants done?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
15. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
(a) He is known as a powerful warrior.
(b) He is known as a wise and wonderful storyteller.
(c) He is known as a strange magician.
(d) He is known as a fair and kind king to his people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
2. What does Vainamoinen do when he agrees to take what Joukahainen offers?
3. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
4. What does Vainamoinen do when Louhi offers him food?
5. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)