|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which tree does Vainamoinen leave standing?
(a) The aspen.
(b) The birch.
(c) The oak.
(d) The laurel.
2. What does Vainamoinen do when Louhi offers him food?
(a) He eats and is indebted to Louhi.
(b) He says that all he wants is go home.
(c) He passes out from exhaustion.
(d) He refuses the food because he is still grieving for Aino.
3. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
(a) She wants to set up a meeting between Ilmarinen and Vainamoinen.
(b) She wants Ilmarinen to get his revenge on Vainamoinen.
(c) She wants Ilmarinen to marry the maid of Pohja.
(d) She wants to make sure that Vainamoinen does not reveal Ilmarinen's secrets.
4. What does Vainamoinen catch?
(a) He catches Aino, who tells him a new technique for catching fish.
(b) He catches a fish that tells him how to catch Aino.
(c) He catches a salmon that was in fact Aino.
(d) He catches a number of fish, but none of them is Aino.
5. Who helps Lemmenkainen's mother reassemble Lemmenkainen's body?
(a) A dolphin.
(b) Louhi's daughter.
(c) A bee.
(d) A snake.
6. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
(a) He bribes the woman's brother.
(b) He bribes the Creator.
(c) He takes a job as a shepherd.
(d) He tricks her into coming to his hut.
7. What is happening when the Water-Mother experiences an upsurge of energy?
(a) Monsters are swallowing the sun.
(b) The Maid of Pohja is singing to her.
(c) The small bird's eggs are hatching on her knee.
(d) Lemminkainen is being born.
8. Whose help does Vipunen ask for, to help him get rid of Vainamoinen?
(b) Vainamoinen's mother.
(c) The gods.
9. How does this lumberjack cut down such an enormous tree?
(a) He pulls the tree up with his bare hands.
(b) He calls a team of lumberjacks.
(c) He turns into a huge, armor clad warrior.
(d) He summons a team of beavers.
10. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
11. What does Aino tell her mother when her mother asks about Aino's walk with Vainamoinen?
(a) Aino tells her that she was set upon by thieves.
(b) Aino tells her mother that Vainamoinen is plotting against the family.
(c) Aino tells her mother that Vainamoinen stole her jewelry.
(d) Aino tells her the truth about how she lost her jewelry.
12. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
(c) The Maid of Pohja.
13. What does Markahattu do to Lemmenkainen?
(a) He feeds his body to birds.
(b) He burns his body in a fire.
(c) He disposes of his body in a river.
(d) He feeds his body to bees.
14. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
(a) She tells Aino about her brother's treacherous history.
(b) She tells Aino about how Aino's father won her hand by betraying his family.
(c) She tells Aino about the jewels hidden in the cave.
(d) She describes Joukahainen's gambling debts.
15. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
(a) Builds a lodge.
(b) Shapes it into a boat.
(c) Builds a house.
(d) Shapes it into a series of tools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joukahainen offer Vainamoinen after Vainamoinen listens to his story?
2. What gift does Joukahainen offer that finally convinces Vainamoinen to let him go free?
3. What does Vainamoinen do when he agrees to take what Joukahainen offers?
4. What does Vainamoinen go fishing for in part 5?
5. What is Vainamoinen thinking about when the eagle rescues him?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)