|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the water mother's baby do when he is born?
(a) Looks for a place to build a castle.
(b) Looks for his father.
(c) Conquers his father's henchmen.
(d) Looks for someone to sow seeds in the land.
2. What does Louhi ask from Vainamoinen in return for her help?
(a) She asks him to marry her daughter.
(b) She asks him to tame the man-eating horses.
(c) She asks him to ride a magic horse.
(d) She asks him to build a grinder.
3. What does Vainamoinen feel as he listens to Joukahainen's stories?
4. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
(a) A crossbow with poisoned arrows.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A cannon.
(d) A rifle.
5. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
(a) He tricks her into coming to his hut.
(b) He bribes the woman's brother.
(c) He bribes the Creator.
(d) He takes a job as a shepherd.
6. What does the Daughter of the Underworld tell Vainamoinen?
(a) The wisdom of the gods.
(b) The method for making better ships.
(c) The secret of immortality.
(d) That mortals are rarely allowed to leave.
7. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
(a) She describes Joukahainen's gambling debts.
(b) She tells Aino about the jewels hidden in the cave.
(c) She tells Aino about her brother's treacherous history.
(d) She tells Aino about how Aino's father won her hand by betraying his family.
8. Who helps Lemmenkainen capture the elk after his snowshoes break?
(a) The gods of the mountains.
(b) The god of the dark cave.
(c) Louhi's daughter's governess.
(d) The gods of the forest.
9. What happens when Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
(a) His first shot kills Vainamoinen.
(b) His third shot kills the magical elk.
(c) His second shot kills Vainamoinen.
(d) His mother intervenes to protect Vainamoinen.
10. What is the name of the baby the Water-Mother is carrying?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
11. Whom does Lemminkainen resolve to win?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
12. What does Lemmenkainen do when his happiness with Kyllikki ends?
(a) He resolves to travel to Pohja.
(b) He marries Kyllikki to the Moon.
(c) He gives Kyllikki back to her mother.
(d) He sends Kyllikki away.
13. Why does Vipunen ultimately tell Vainamoinen what he wants to know?
(a) Vainamoinen promises to torture Vipunen.
(b) Vainamoinen says that he feels perfectly at home and will not leave.
(c) Vainamoinen says that he has the help of the Daughter of the Underworld.
(d) Vainamoinen makes increasingly violent threats to Vipunen.
14. What does Vainamoinen go fishing for in part 5?
(b) Aino's body.
15. What song does Louhi's child sing after Vainamoinen has completed the tasks?
(a) A song about a maiden who married a god.
(b) A song about a turtle who carried a magical world on his back.
(c) A song about a hunter who captured a magical deer.
(d) A song about an eagle that carried away maiden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen tell the living creatures after he returns from the Underworld?
2. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
3. What does Aino tell her mother when her mother asks about Aino's walk with Vainamoinen?
4. Where does Vainamoinen's mother suggest he look for a bride?
5. What does Ilmarinen ride off on, after he finds out where Vainamoinen is going?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)