|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Lemmenkainen catches the elk?
(a) It attacks a village.
(b) He kills it.
(c) It escapes.
(d) He leads it back to Louhi.
2. Who comes to the shore to see who has arrived there?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
(d) The Lord of Pohja.
3. What does Markahattu do to Lemmenkainen?
(a) He feeds his body to bees.
(b) He feeds his body to birds.
(c) He disposes of his body in a river.
(d) He burns his body in a fire.
4. What happens when Vainamoinen wrestles with Vipunen?
(a) Vainamoinen swallows the Daughter of the Underworld.
(b) Vipunen swallows Vainamoinen.
(c) Vipunen tells Vainamoinen what he wants to know.
(d) Vainamoinen swallows Vipunen.
5. Whom does Lemminkainen resolve to win?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
6. What does Ilmarinen ride off on, after he finds out where Vainamoinen is going?
(a) A magic carpet.
(b) A hand-made boat.
(c) A magic sledge.
(d) A crow's back.
7. What is Joukahainen's mother's reaction to Aino's marriage to Vainamoinen?
(a) She is furious that Aino will be married to her enemy.
(b) She is envious of her daughter's good fortune.
(c) She is distraught that Aino will be married to an old man.
(d) She is delighted that Aino will be married to someone of such repute.
8. What gift does Joukahainen offer that finally convinces Vainamoinen to let him go free?
(a) A magical robe.
(b) His sister.
(c) The secret to his immortality.
(d) A necklace.
9. Who is not banished from the fire by Lemmenkainen's magical songs?
10. What do the gods decide to do when they hear Lemmenkainen bragging?
(a) They turn him into a goose.
(b) They discourage him in the shape of his mother.
(c) They send him on a wild chase after an elk.
(d) They make him fall into a deep sleep.
11. What story does the Storyteller tell first?
(a) The story of how the world was made.
(b) The story of how he first heard his story.
(c) The story of discovery of language.
(d) The story of the first man.
12. What does Lemmenkainen do when his happiness with Kyllikki ends?
(a) He sends Kyllikki away.
(b) He resolves to travel to Pohja.
(c) He gives Kyllikki back to her mother.
(d) He marries Kyllikki to the Moon.
13. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
(b) Aino's mother.
14. What does Louhi ask from Vainamoinen in return for her help?
(a) She asks him to build a grinder.
(b) She asks him to marry her daughter.
(c) She asks him to tame the man-eating horses.
(d) She asks him to ride a magic horse.
15. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
(a) He is full of admiration.
(b) He is anxious to make an alliance with Vainamoinen.
(c) He is jealousy and resentful.
(d) He wants to repay Vainamoinen for the indignities he suffered.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
2. Which tree agrees to Sampsa's proposal to cut the tree down?
3. What is Vainamoinen missing as he works with the wood Sampsa brought him?
4. What does Vainamionen do with the wood Sampsa brings back to Vainamoinen?
5. What does Lemminkainen do to press his suit?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)