|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cuts down the tree Vainamoinen plants?
(c) Two farmers.
(d) A very small man.
2. What prayer does Lemmenkainen make after his snowshoes break?
(a) He prays that no hunters will hunt for elk in this forest.
(b) He prays for the intelligence to outwit the elk.
(c) He prays for Louhi's daughter's hand in marriage.
(d) He prays that Kyllikki will leave him alone.
3. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
(a) She wants Ilmarinen to get his revenge on Vainamoinen.
(b) She wants to set up a meeting between Ilmarinen and Vainamoinen.
(c) She wants Ilmarinen to marry the maid of Pohja.
(d) She wants to make sure that Vainamoinen does not reveal Ilmarinen's secrets.
4. What happens after Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
(a) Vainamoinen dies in the forest.
(b) Vainamoinen swims for his life.
(c) Vainamoinen saves the arrows for his revenge.
(d) Vainamoinen dies on the beach.
5. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
6. How does Jourkahainen feel toward Vainamoinen in part 6 of the Kalevala?
(a) He wants to repay Vainamoinen for the indignities he suffered.
(b) He is anxious to make an alliance with Vainamoinen.
(c) He is jealousy and resentful.
(d) He is full of admiration.
7. What does Aino do in response to Vainamoinen's request?
(a) She offers to betray her brother.
(b) She refuses to renounce her family.
(c) She renounces her father.
(d) She drops her jewelry on the ground and runs home.
8. What sound does Vainamoinen find sad after he goes fishing?
(a) The hummingbird's wings.
(b) The crow's call.
(c) The cuckoo's song.
(d) The nightingale's song.
9. Who sets out the series of tasks Vainamoinen must complete if he is going to marry?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
10. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
11. Where does the Storyteller get his story?
(a) From his children.
(b) From his parents.
(c) From the ocean.
(d) From a bird.
12. Where does Vainamoinen plant his tree?
(a) In the ashes of a fire.
(b) In the ocean.
(c) In a bird's nest.
(d) In an eggshell.
13. What does Vainamoinen go fishing for in part 5?
(a) Aino's body.
14. What is the little maid doing when she hears Vainamoinen?
(a) She is doing her daily chores.
(b) She is taking off her jewels.
(c) She is collecting firewood.
(d) She is fishing.
15. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
(a) He slanders Joukahainen to the other listeners.
(b) He causes a swamp to rise up around Joukahainen.
(c) He kills Joukahainen with a sword.
(d) He runs and hides himself away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Maid of Pohja say when she hears that Vainamoinen has arrived at the end of his journey?
2. What do the gods decide to do when they hear Lemmenkainen bragging?
3. What is Vainamoinen missing as he works with the wood Sampsa brought him?
4. To whom does the little maid recount what she hears from Vainamoinen?
5. Where does Lemminkainen take his new bride?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)