|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Vainamoinen complete the tasks so that he can marry?
(d) The Maid of Pohja.
2. Who comes after the Water-Mother prays for relief?
(a) The Maid of Pohja.
(b) A small bird.
3. What is Joukahainen's mother's reaction to Aino's marriage to Vainamoinen?
(a) She is delighted that Aino will be married to someone of such repute.
(b) She is distraught that Aino will be married to an old man.
(c) She is furious that Aino will be married to her enemy.
(d) She is envious of her daughter's good fortune.
4. What does Vainamoinen ride on his journey?
(a) A magical crow.
(b) An burro.
(c) A magical elk.
(d) A magical salmon.
5. What does Lemmenkainen's mother ask of Ilmarinen?
(a) She asks him for a potion that will heal Lemmenkainen.
(b) She asks him to knit Lemmenkainen back together.
(c) She asks him to make a rake for her.
(d) She asks him to build her a Sampo.
6. What does Lemmenkainen do when his happiness with Kyllikki ends?
(a) He gives Kyllikki back to her mother.
(b) He marries Kyllikki to the Moon.
(c) He resolves to travel to Pohja.
(d) He sends Kyllikki away.
7. What does the Storyteller tell us in the first stanzas?
(a) He describes his need to pass on the ancient wisdom.
(b) He describes the people whose epic he is going to sing.
(c) He announces that he is going to sing of war and gods.
(d) He describes the beginning of the world.
8. Whom does Lemminkainen resolve to win?
(b) The Maid of Pohja.
9. What does Vainamoinen tell Louhi in response to her request?
(a) He does what she asks and marries her daughter.
(b) He tells Louhi that he knows someone who can do what she wants done.
(c) He tells Louhi that he does not want to marry her daughter.
(d) He tells Louhi that what she asks cannot be done.
10. Who helps Lemmenkainen's mother reassemble Lemmenkainen's body?
(a) A bee.
(b) Louhi's daughter.
(c) A snake.
(d) A dolphin.
11. What is the name of the baby the Water-Mother is carrying?
(d) The Maid of Pohja.
12. What does Vainamoinen ask Aino to do for him when they are walking through the forest together?
(a) Renounce her father.
(b) Take off her jewelry.
(c) Wear her jewelry.
(d) Betray her brother.
13. What does Joukahainen do when he meets Vainamoinen?
(a) He challenges Vainamoinen to a race.
(b) He challenges Vainamoinen to a storytelling contest.
(c) He challenges Vainamoinen to a wrestling match.
(d) He challenges Vainamoinen to a javelin contest.
14. What condition does Louhi impose on Lemmenkainen before she can give him what he wants?
(a) He has to walk across the ocean.
(b) He has to defeat the gods in a hunting contest.
(c) He has to defeat Markahattu in a storytelling contest.
(d) He has to go out on snowshoes and capture a mighty elk.
15. Which tree agrees to Sampsa's proposal to cut the tree down?
(a) An oak.
(b) A fir.
(c) A cedar.
(d) A spruce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
2. What happens when the eagle drops Vainamoinen?
3. What happens when Vainamoinen wrestles with Vipunen?
4. Where does Vainamoinen want to send his friend Sampsa at the beginning of part 16?
5. Where does Vainamoinen plant his tree?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)