|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lemmenkainen demand of Louhi after he banishes the storytellers?
(a) He wants to know who he will marry.
(b) He wants to know how to get rid of Markahattu.
(c) He wants her to give him her daughter in marriage.
(d) He wants to know the secret of her immortality.
2. What does Vainamoinen tell the living creatures after he returns from the Underworld?
(a) He tells them not to go there themselves.
(b) He describes the horrors he saw.
(c) He tells them all about the Daughter of the Underworld.
(d) He tells them the magic words he learned there.
3. What does Vainamoinen go fishing for in part 5?
(d) Aino's body.
4. What story does Aino's mother tell her when Aino is upset about marrying?
(a) She tells Aino about her brother's treacherous history.
(b) She tells Aino about how Aino's father won her hand by betraying his family.
(c) She tells Aino about the jewels hidden in the cave.
(d) She describes Joukahainen's gambling debts.
5. What happens when Lemmenkainen catches the elk?
(a) It escapes.
(b) He kills it.
(c) He leads it back to Louhi.
(d) It attacks a village.
6. What does Joukahainen offer Vainamoinen after Vainamoinen listens to his story?
(a) Gold, horses, and armor.
(b) Jewels and gold.
(c) Magic cloaks and swords.
(d) His life.
7. What does Joukahainen's mother tell him about shooting Vainamoinen?
(a) She tells him the secret of Vainamoinen's vulnerability.
(b) She tells him where to aim.
(c) She tells him not to do it.
(d) She tells him where to find him.
8. What does Vainamoinen do when he is listening to Joukahainen's stories?
(a) He causes a swamp to rise up around Joukahainen.
(b) He kills Joukahainen with a sword.
(c) He runs and hides himself away.
(d) He slanders Joukahainen to the other listeners.
9. How does this lumberjack cut down such an enormous tree?
(a) He calls a team of lumberjacks.
(b) He turns into a huge, armor clad warrior.
(c) He pulls the tree up with his bare hands.
(d) He summons a team of beavers.
10. What does the water mother's baby do when he is born?
(a) Looks for someone to sow seeds in the land.
(b) Looks for his father.
(c) Conquers his father's henchmen.
(d) Looks for a place to build a castle.
11. What does Joukahainen shoot at Vainamoinen with?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A cannon.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A crossbow with poisoned arrows.
12. What reputation does Vainamoinen gain over time?
(a) He is known as a fair and kind king to his people.
(b) He is known as a wise and wonderful storyteller.
(c) He is known as a strange magician.
(d) He is known as a powerful warrior.
13. What is the little maid doing when she hears Vainamoinen?
(a) She is taking off her jewels.
(b) She is collecting firewood.
(c) She is fishing.
(d) She is doing her daily chores.
14. What does Vainamoinen do when he agrees to take what Joukahainen offers?
(a) He allows Joukahainen to be drowned.
(b) He tells Joukahainen the story of his own miserable future.
(c) He humiliates Joukahainen by turning him into a spider.
(d) He allows Joukahainen to return home.
15. What happens after Joukahainen fires at Vainamoinen?
(a) Vainamoinen saves the arrows for his revenge.
(b) Vainamoinen dies in the forest.
(c) Vainamoinen swims for his life.
(d) Vainamoinen dies on the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lemmenkainen do when his happiness with Kyllikki ends?
2. Why does Annikki tell Ilmarinen where Vainamoinen is sailing?
3. What happens when the eagle drops Vainamoinen?
4. What are the chips from Vainamoinen's tree turned into?
5. Where does the eagle take Vainamoinen when it rescues him?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)