|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the character who was not banished do after all the others are banished from the room by Lemmenkainen?
(a) He waits for Lemmenkainen outside.
(b) He gathers the others and arranges an ambush.
(c) He returns to the room with a knife.
(d) He accuses Lemmenkainen of witchcraft.
2. Where does Vainamoinen plant his tree?
(a) In the ashes of a fire.
(b) In a bird's nest.
(c) In the ocean.
(d) In an eggshell.
3. Which tree agrees to Sampsa's proposal to cut the tree down?
(a) An oak.
(b) A cedar.
(c) A fir.
(d) A spruce.
4. What does Vainamoinen resolve to build at the beginning of Part 16?
(a) A tampo.
(b) A cave.
(c) A boat.
(d) A tree.
5. What does Vainamoinen tell Louhi in response to her request?
(a) He tells Louhi that he knows someone who can do what she wants done.
(b) He tells Louhi that he does not want to marry her daughter.
(c) He does what she asks and marries her daughter.
(d) He tells Louhi that what she asks cannot be done.
6. What do the gods decide to do when they hear Lemmenkainen bragging?
(a) They turn him into a goose.
(b) They send him on a wild chase after an elk.
(c) They discourage him in the shape of his mother.
(d) They make him fall into a deep sleep.
7. Who helps Lemmenkainen's mother reassemble Lemmenkainen's body?
(a) A snake.
(b) A dolphin.
(c) Louhi's daughter.
(d) A bee.
8. What happens when Lemmenkainen catches the elk?
(a) He kills it.
(b) It escapes.
(c) It attacks a village.
(d) He leads it back to Louhi.
9. What does Vainamoinen ride on his journey?
(a) A magical salmon.
(b) A magical elk.
(c) A magical crow.
(d) An burro.
10. What is happening when the Water-Mother experiences an upsurge of energy?
(a) Lemminkainen is being born.
(b) The Maid of Pohja is singing to her.
(c) Monsters are swallowing the sun.
(d) The small bird's eggs are hatching on her knee.
11. What does Lemmenkainen decide to do after he is reassembled and brought back to life?
(a) He resolves to marry Louhi's daughter at any cost.
(b) He resolves to revenge himself on Markahattu.
(c) He decides to live with his mother.
(d) He takes his magic cloak back to Louhi's house.
12. Which tree does Vainamoinen leave standing?
(a) The birch.
(b) The laurel.
(c) The aspen.
(d) The oak.
13. What is Joukahainen's mother's reaction to Aino's marriage to Vainamoinen?
(a) She is furious that Aino will be married to her enemy.
(b) She is delighted that Aino will be married to someone of such repute.
(c) She is envious of her daughter's good fortune.
(d) She is distraught that Aino will be married to an old man.
14. What does Lemminkainen tell his bride when he arrives where he takes her?
(a) He tells her the conditions she has to meet for him to free her.
(b) He threatens to kill her if she tries to escape.
(c) He tells her why he abducted her.
(d) He promises to build her a bigger house.
15. What kind of tree does Vainamoinen plant?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this lumberjack cut down such an enormous tree?
2. Who ultimately helps Louhi do what she wants done?
3. What does Aino do in response to Vainamoinen's request?
4. What happens when the eagle drops Vainamoinen?
5. What does Lemmenkainen demand of Louhi after he banishes the storytellers?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)