|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Sheri, sex was an exploration of ____________.
2. When Anatole had asked Sheri what a painting meant to her after she finished it, she told him that he'd never be a man until he could live without ___________.
3. Maya asked Anatole to assist Dylan Thomas by doing what in Chapter 15?
4. When was Dylan Thomas born?
5. Whose apartment did Anatole stop by when no one was home in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Anatole's and Sheri's experiences of sex described in Chapter 10?
2. What story did Delmore relate to Anatole in Chapter 16? What was Anatole's response?
3. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
4. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
5. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
6. What did Anatole stop to pick up at Sheri's apartment in Chapter 12? What did he take with him?
7. What did Saul reveal to Anatole at Prospect Park? On what condition did he speak to him?
8. How did Anatole describe ethnic differences in New York in the 1920s? How did this relate to Saul Silverman?
9. Where did Anatole discover Sheri after leaving class in Chapter 11? What was his reaction?
10. Why did Anatole close his bookstore in Chapter 11? What did he go on to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the intimate aspects of Anatole and Sheri's relationship. How did Anatole define sexual intimacy for himself? How did Sheri's views of sexuality differ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the introduction of the G.I. Bill and the New School of Social Research. What was the school known for in the 1940s?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anais Nin, Henry Miller, Carl Jung and Otto Rank. How had Miller and Nin known one another? How did Sheri know Nin?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)