|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was George Eliot born?
2. When Anatole's friend Saul fell ill, he was working as a literary critic for which publication?
3. What was Sheri doing when Anatole found her in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
4. When did Ernest Hemingway win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
5. What did Anatole go to pick up from an empty apartment in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
2. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
3. How were Anatole's and Sheri's experiences of sex described in Chapter 10?
4. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
5. What did Saul reveal to Anatole at Prospect Park? On what condition did he speak to him?
6. What led to Sheri flying out of a chair in Chapter 11? What did Anatole do?
7. What story did Delmore relate to Anatole in Chapter 16? What was Anatole's response?
8. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
9. Who arrived at Anatole's door in Chapter 12? Why?
10. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the events in Chapter 10 which led to Anatole's decision to leave Sheri. Why did Anatole perceive Sheri would have wanted to commit suicide? Why did he feel that leaving was the best thing?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anais Nin, Henry Miller, Carl Jung and Otto Rank. How had Miller and Nin known one another? How did Sheri know Nin?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Anatole's decision to seek psychoanalysis in the narrative. How common was psychoanalysis in New York during this period? To what school of thought did Schachtel ascribe?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)