|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anatole wrote that in New York in the twenties, ethnic differences weren't ignored but were devoid of ______.
2. Anatole thought that Sheri was weird, and she felt that he was ______________.
3. What did Anatole open before taking Sheri to bed in Chapter 10?
4. In Chapter 16, Delmore asked Anatole to accompany him where to help him decide which new suit to buy?
5. Virginia Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of what group?
Essay Topic 1
How had Anatole's experiences in the military changed him? In what ways did Anatole "hide" his African American heritage? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning of the title of the book? What was Broyard's association with Franz Kafka?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Anatole's decision to seek psychoanalysis in the narrative. How common was psychoanalysis in New York during this period? To what school of thought did Schachtel ascribe?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)