|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anatole not know about Saul's fighting during World War II?
2. Whom did Anatole leave the painting with in Chapter 12?
3. Anatole's friend Saul was a romantic intellect because he didn't want to change people's politics, but he did want to change their _______________.
4. According to Anatole's writing, what national feelings followed World War II?
5. Who helped bring together the book and publication of Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir after Anatole Broyard's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole meet Delmore Schwartz? How did he describe him?
2. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
3. Why did Anatole close his bookstore in Chapter 11? What did he go on to do?
4. How did Anatole relate the sexual morals of the late 1940s in Chapter 17?
5. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
6. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
7. What did Anatole stop to pick up at Sheri's apartment in Chapter 12? What did he take with him?
8. What did Anatole question about Sheri's "message" in Chapter 10 when he found her in the middle of the night?
9. Where did Anatole discover Sheri after leaving class in Chapter 11? What was his reaction?
10. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the artist Nemiceio Zanarte and his relationship to Sheri and Anatole in the narrative. Why did Zanarte present a case for Anatole to give Sheri her freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the art historian Meyer Shapiro and his interdisciplinary approach to the study of works of art. How did Anatole and the other students feel about Shapiro as a teacher?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events in Chapter 10 which led to Anatole's decision to leave Sheri. Why did Anatole perceive Sheri would have wanted to commit suicide? Why did he feel that leaving was the best thing?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)