|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anatole close as it reminded him too much of Sheri in Chapter 11?
2. Although Anatole aspired to be an intellectual, when he read a book, he made sure he kept an eye on __________.
3. What did Saul think he had initially when he fell ill?
4. Who knocked at Anatole's door in Chapter 12?
5. What did Anatole find Sheri doing with his mother in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story did Delmore relate to Anatole in Chapter 16? What was Anatole's response?
2. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
3. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
4. What did the upper middle-class girls which Anatole knew grow up reading? How did this impact them romantically?
5. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
6. Why did Anatole close his bookstore in Chapter 11? What did he go on to do?
7. How did Anatole describe his friend Saul Silverman in Chapter 13?
8. Where did Anatole discover Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
9. What led to Sheri flying out of a chair in Chapter 11? What did Anatole do?
10. How did Anatole meet Delmore Schwartz? How did he describe him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Freudian revisionist movement and the teachings of Karen Horney at the New School. What did Horney observe about neurotics and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the artist Nemiceio Zanarte and his relationship to Sheri and Anatole in the narrative. Why did Zanarte present a case for Anatole to give Sheri her freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anatole's friend Dick Gilman. Why did Gilman feel that he was a better match for Sheri? How did Dick react to reading new authors?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)