|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anatole fear his father would see when Sheri went flailing in the chair in Chapter 11?
2. What did Anatole do with Sheri after her surprise visit in Chapter 11?
3. What did Anatole find Sheri doing with his mother in Chapter 11?
4. According to Anatole's writing, what national feelings followed World War II?
5. Which tavern did the writer Dylan Thomas frequently visit to drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
2. What led to Sheri flying out of a chair in Chapter 11? What did Anatole do?
3. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
4. What story did Delmore relate to Anatole in Chapter 16? What was Anatole's response?
5. What did Anatole question about Sheri's "message" in Chapter 10 when he found her in the middle of the night?
6. Where did Anatole discover Sheri after leaving class in Chapter 11? What was his reaction?
7. How did Anatole describe ethnic differences in New York in the 1920s? How did this relate to Saul Silverman?
8. How were Anatole's and Sheri's experiences of sex described in Chapter 10?
9. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
10. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life, career, and relationships of Sheri Martinelli. By what other names was Sheri written in other works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the intimate aspects of Anatole and Sheri's relationship. How did Anatole define sexual intimacy for himself? How did Sheri's views of sexuality differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life, career and beliefs of Erich Fromm and Gestalt psychology. What were Anatole's experiences studying each? Why did Anatole find Gestalt psychology disappointing?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)