|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Tropic of Capricorn?
2. What did Saul think he had initially when he fell ill?
3. Anatole told whom that he planned on keeping the painting because it was his in Chapter 12?
4. George Eliot was the pen name for whom?
5. Where did Anatole move to immediately after leaving Sheri in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
2. What did Anatole stop to pick up at Sheri's apartment in Chapter 12? What did he take with him?
3. How did Anatole relate the sexual morals of the late 1940s in Chapter 17?
4. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
5. Where did Anatole discover Sheri after leaving class in Chapter 11? What was his reaction?
6. What did Saul reveal to Anatole at Prospect Park? On what condition did he speak to him?
7. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
8. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
9. What did the upper middle-class girls which Anatole knew grow up reading? How did this impact them romantically?
10. What scene took place with Dylan Thomas' wife in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the events in Chapter 10 which led to Anatole's decision to leave Sheri. Why did Anatole perceive Sheri would have wanted to commit suicide? Why did he feel that leaving was the best thing?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the artist Nemiceio Zanarte and his relationship to Sheri and Anatole in the narrative. Why did Zanarte present a case for Anatole to give Sheri her freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the early childhood of Anatole Broyard and his family history. Where was Broyard born? When did his family move to Brooklyn and why? How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)