|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anatole do after Sheri went flailing in the chair in Chapter 11?
2. Who knocked at Anatole's door in Chapter 12?
3. Who asked Anatole to come with him to the station in Chapter 12?
4. Tropic of Capricorn was a sequel to what earlier work?
5. For Anatole, sex with Sheri never became what kind of experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
2. What did Anatole question about Sheri's "message" in Chapter 10 when he found her in the middle of the night?
3. How did Anatole relate the sexual morals of the late 1940s in Chapter 17?
4. What led to Sheri flying out of a chair in Chapter 11? What did Anatole do?
5. Where did Anatole discover Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
6. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
7. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
8. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
9. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
10. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anatole's friend Dick Gilman. Why did Gilman feel that he was a better match for Sheri? How did Dick react to reading new authors?
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning of the title of the book? What was Broyard's association with Franz Kafka?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anatole's feelings about education following the war. What drew him to the New School? How was his military service an asset to him following WWII?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)