|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anatole's friend Saul was a romantic intellect because he didn't want to change people's politics, but he did want to change their _______________.
2. What friend of Anatole's was described as a great talker in Chapter 13?
3. Where did Anatole find Sheri one night in Chapter 10?
4. When did Anatole attend classes in Chapter 11?
5. What did Anatole open before taking Sheri to bed in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anatole stop to pick up at Sheri's apartment in Chapter 12? What did he take with him?
2. Why did Anatole close his bookstore in Chapter 11? What did he go on to do?
3. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
4. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
5. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
6. How were Anatole's and Sheri's experiences of sex described in Chapter 10?
7. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
8. Where did Anatole discover Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
9. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
10. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the artist Nemiceio Zanarte and his relationship to Sheri and Anatole in the narrative. Why did Zanarte present a case for Anatole to give Sheri her freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the art historian Meyer Shapiro and his interdisciplinary approach to the study of works of art. How did Anatole and the other students feel about Shapiro as a teacher?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Anatole's decision to seek psychoanalysis in the narrative. How common was psychoanalysis in New York during this period? To what school of thought did Schachtel ascribe?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)