|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who began fighting and throwing things at the welcome home party for Maya Deren?
2. What did Anatole take with him from the empty apartment in Chapter 12?
3. Tropic of Capricorn was banned in the United States until what year?
4. Anatole told whom that he planned on keeping the painting because it was his in Chapter 12?
5. What was Sheri doing when Anatole found her in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story did Delmore relate to Anatole in Chapter 16? What was Anatole's response?
2. How did Anatole describe ethnic differences in New York in the 1920s? How did this relate to Saul Silverman?
3. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
4. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
5. What scene took place with Dylan Thomas' wife in Chapter 15?
6. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
7. What did Anatole stop to pick up at Sheri's apartment in Chapter 12? What did he take with him?
8. What did the upper middle-class girls which Anatole knew grow up reading? How did this impact them romantically?
9. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
10. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Freudian revisionist movement and the teachings of Karen Horney at the New School. What did Horney observe about neurotics and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life, career, and relationships of Sheri Martinelli. By what other names was Sheri written in other works?
Essay Topic 3
What is the meaning of the title of the book? What was Broyard's association with Franz Kafka?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)