|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anatole do after Sheri went flailing in the chair in Chapter 11?
2. Who wrote Tropic of Capricorn?
3. When did Ernest Hemingway win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
4. According to Anatole's writing, what national feelings followed World War II?
5. When was Tropic of Capricorn first published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anatole stop to pick up at Sheri's apartment in Chapter 12? What did he take with him?
2. How were Anatole's and Sheri's experiences of sex described in Chapter 10?
3. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
4. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
5. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
6. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
7. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
8. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
9. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
10. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Anatole's purchase of a bookstore in 1946. Where was Anatole's bookstore located? How much did he pay for it, and where did he get the money?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Freudian revisionist movement and the teachings of Karen Horney at the New School. What did Horney observe about neurotics and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the artist Sheri Donatti and her relationship with Anatole Broyard. How old was Sheri when they met? How did Anatole describe her appearance and personality?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)