|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anatole take with him from the empty apartment in Chapter 12?
2. Who knocked at Anatole's door in Chapter 12?
3. When was Virginia Woolf born?
4. Anatole wrote that in New York in the twenties, ethnic differences weren't ignored but were devoid of ______.
5. Where was Dylan Thomas born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anatole question about Sheri's "message" in Chapter 10 when he found her in the middle of the night?
2. Where did Anatole discover Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
3. What did Saul reveal to Anatole at Prospect Park? On what condition did he speak to him?
4. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
5. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
6. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
7. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
8. Where did Anatole discover Sheri after leaving class in Chapter 11? What was his reaction?
9. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
10. What scene took place with Dylan Thomas' wife in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the literary world in which Anatole was associated. What writers emerged from the New School during his time there? What authors were predominant in literary circles and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anatole's friend Dick Gilman. Why did Gilman feel that he was a better match for Sheri? How did Dick react to reading new authors?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the artist Nemiceio Zanarte and his relationship to Sheri and Anatole in the narrative. Why did Zanarte present a case for Anatole to give Sheri her freedom?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)