|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anatole know at the end of Chapter 10?
2. What did Saul Silverman's mother blame for his illness?
3. Anatole's mother slowed her speech when speaking with Sheri because she thought ______________.
4. Anatole thought that Sheri was weird, and she felt that he was ______________.
5. When was Norman Mailer born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Anatole discover Sheri after leaving class in Chapter 11? What was his reaction?
2. How were Anatole's and Sheri's experiences of sex described in Chapter 10?
3. What did the upper middle-class girls which Anatole knew grow up reading? How did this impact them romantically?
4. How did Anatole relate the sexual morals of the late 1940s in Chapter 17?
5. Where did Anatole go after leaving Sheri in Chapter 11? How did he feel about the location?
6. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
7. What led to Sheri flying out of a chair in Chapter 11? What did Anatole do?
8. What did Anatole stop to pick up at Sheri's apartment in Chapter 12? What did he take with him?
9. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
10. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anatole's friend Dick Gilman. Why did Gilman feel that he was a better match for Sheri? How did Dick react to reading new authors?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of the memoir. What was the atmosphere in Greenwich Village like in 1946? How did Anatole feel arriving home from the war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anais Nin, Henry Miller, Carl Jung and Otto Rank. How had Miller and Nin known one another? How did Sheri know Nin?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)