|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Norman Mailer born?
2. What was Anatole's religion in childhood?
3. What did Anatole open before taking Sheri to bed in Chapter 10?
4. When did Ernest Hemingway win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
5. What made Anatole grow faint in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the upper middle-class girls which Anatole knew grow up reading? How did this impact them romantically?
2. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
3. How did Anatole describe his friend Saul Silverman in Chapter 13?
4. What story did Delmore relate to Anatole in Chapter 16? What was Anatole's response?
5. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
6. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
7. What scene took place with Dylan Thomas' wife in Chapter 15?
8. How were Anatole's and Sheri's experiences of sex described in Chapter 10?
9. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
10. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the intimate aspects of Anatole and Sheri's relationship. How did Anatole define sexual intimacy for himself? How did Sheri's views of sexuality differ?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anatole's impressions of the customers who frequented his bookstore. What did Anatole criticize about many customers? How was his appreciation for literature different?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the art historian Meyer Shapiro and his interdisciplinary approach to the study of works of art. How did Anatole and the other students feel about Shapiro as a teacher?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)