|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Anatole leave the painting with in Chapter 12?
2. After Pablito disappeared, his friends sought out the stranger. What did the friends do to him?
3. When was George Eliot born?
4. Anatole told whom that he planned on keeping the painting because it was his in Chapter 12?
5. What did Anatole close as it reminded him too much of Sheri in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrived at Anatole's door in Chapter 12? Why?
2. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
3. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
4. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
5. What scene took place with Dylan Thomas' wife in Chapter 15?
6. What did Saul reveal to Anatole at Prospect Park? On what condition did he speak to him?
7. How did Anatole relate the sexual morals of the late 1940s in Chapter 17?
8. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
9. How did Anatole meet Delmore Schwartz? How did he describe him?
10. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the introduction of the G.I. Bill and the New School of Social Research. What was the school known for in the 1940s?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the literary world in which Anatole was associated. What writers emerged from the New School during his time there? What authors were predominant in literary circles and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events in Chapter 10 which led to Anatole's decision to leave Sheri. Why did Anatole perceive Sheri would have wanted to commit suicide? Why did he feel that leaving was the best thing?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)