|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Anatole, sex with Sheri never became what kind of experience?
2. Who asked Anatole to come with him to the station in Chapter 12?
3. When did Anatole attend classes in Chapter 11?
4. Where did Saul tell Anatole he was dying?
5. Who began fighting and throwing things at the welcome home party for Maya Deren?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
2. What scene took place with Dylan Thomas' wife in Chapter 15?
3. What did Saul reveal to Anatole at Prospect Park? On what condition did he speak to him?
4. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
5. Where did Anatole discover Sheri after leaving class in Chapter 11? What was his reaction?
6. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
7. How did Anatole describe his friend Saul Silverman in Chapter 13?
8. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
9. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
10. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anais Nin, Henry Miller, Carl Jung and Otto Rank. How had Miller and Nin known one another? How did Sheri know Nin?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anatole's feelings about education following the war. What drew him to the New School? How was his military service an asset to him following WWII?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the early childhood of Anatole Broyard and his family history. Where was Broyard born? When did his family move to Brooklyn and why? How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)