|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anatole go to pick up from an empty apartment in Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 16, Delmore asked Anatole to accompany him where to help him decide which new suit to buy?
3. Who wrote Lady Chatterley's Lover?
4. What hot spot of Spanish Harlem did Delmore and friends head to in Chapter 14?
5. Who had given Anatole the painting in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
2. How did Anatole describe his friend Saul Silverman in Chapter 13?
3. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
4. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
5. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
6. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
7. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
8. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
9. How did Anatole relate the sexual morals of the late 1940s in Chapter 17?
10. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anais Nin, Henry Miller, Carl Jung and Otto Rank. How had Miller and Nin known one another? How did Sheri know Nin?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Freudian revisionist movement and the teachings of Karen Horney at the New School. What did Horney observe about neurotics and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the early childhood of Anatole Broyard and his family history. Where was Broyard born? When did his family move to Brooklyn and why? How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)