|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Anais Nin consider to be one of her disciples?
2. Where was Kafka born?
3. Where did the psychoanalyst who was recommended to Anatole in Chapter 7 teach?
4. Who was quoted as saying, "A good book review is an act of seduction, and when he [Broyard] did it there was no one better"?
5. What U.S. President signed in the G.I. Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village when he first settled in there? How did he describe it?
2. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
3. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
4. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
5. What did Sheri reveal to Anatole about her medical condition in Chapter 5? What was his response?
6. How was Sheri described in the narrative? What was her appearance like?
7. How many sessions did Anatole have with a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? What progress was made?
8. Under whom did Anatole study Gestalt psychology and Freudian revisionism at the New School? What were these teachers like?
9. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
10. How did Anatole pay for his college tuition? How did he feel about attaining a degree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the early childhood of Anatole Broyard and his family history. Where was Broyard born? When did his family move to Brooklyn and why? How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life, career and beliefs of Erich Fromm and Gestalt psychology. What were Anatole's experiences studying each? Why did Anatole find Gestalt psychology disappointing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Anatole's purchase of a bookstore in 1946. Where was Anatole's bookstore located? How much did he pay for it, and where did he get the money?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)