|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was D.H. Lawrence born?
2. It was speculation that Meyer Schapiro was not as much a fan of modern art as he was of _________.
3. How old was Anatole Broyard when he finished serving in World War II?
4. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
5. On one occasion, Sheri and Anatole were so stimulated by Schapiro's lecture on whom that they ran to the roof of the school and made love in the dusky sundown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sheri reveal to Anatole about her medical condition in Chapter 5? What was his response?
2. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
3. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
4. What break-through did Anatole experience while seeing a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
5. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
6. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
7. What did Anatole feel he inherited himself from the works of great literary authors?
8. How old was Anatole Broyard at the opening of the book? From where had he returned? How was the setting described?
9. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
10. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the memoir. What was the atmosphere in Greenwich Village like in 1946? How did Anatole feel arriving home from the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the intimate aspects of Anatole and Sheri's relationship. How did Anatole define sexual intimacy for himself? How did Sheri's views of sexuality differ?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anatole's impressions of the customers who frequented his bookstore. What did Anatole criticize about many customers? How was his appreciation for literature different?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)