|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Karen Horney born?
2. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's first wife?
3. Anais Nin was briefly a patient of what famed psychoanalyst?
4. When was Franz Kafka born?
5. How did Anais Nin describe Anatole Broyard in her diary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led Anatole to suspect Dick Gilman had been reading Nietzsche in Chapter 3?
2. What fields of specialization is the New School renown for?
3. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
4. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
5. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
6. What did Sheri reveal to Anatole about her medical condition in Chapter 5? What was his response?
7. How many sessions did Anatole have with a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? What progress was made?
8. How did Anatole meet Anais Nin? How did he describe her?
9. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
10. What did Anatole feel he inherited himself from the works of great literary authors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the literary world in which Anatole was associated. What writers emerged from the New School during his time there? What authors were predominant in literary circles and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Anatole's decision to seek psychoanalysis in the narrative. How common was psychoanalysis in New York during this period? To what school of thought did Schachtel ascribe?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anatole's impressions of the customers who frequented his bookstore. What did Anatole criticize about many customers? How was his appreciation for literature different?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)