|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sheri's apartment consisted of how many rooms?
2. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's father?
3. How old was Anatole Broyard when he finished serving in World War II?
4. Where was the school located which Anatole attended after returning from World War II?
5. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
2. What break-through did Anatole experience while seeing a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
3. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
4. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
5. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
6. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
7. Whom did Anatole seek a recommendation from for a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? Who was recommended to him?
8. What was the New School of Social Research known as during the Post WWII era? Why?
9. How did Anatole pay for his college tuition? How did he feel about attaining a degree?
10. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the art historian Meyer Shapiro and his interdisciplinary approach to the study of works of art. How did Anatole and the other students feel about Shapiro as a teacher?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the artist Nemiceio Zanarte and his relationship to Sheri and Anatole in the narrative. Why did Zanarte present a case for Anatole to give Sheri her freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Freudian revisionist movement and the teachings of Karen Horney at the New School. What did Horney observe about neurotics and why?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)