Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Meyer Schapiro born?
2. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
3. After the Spanish artist departed in Chapter 3, an angered Anatole refused Sheri's advances for how long?
4. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's mother?
5. What was Anatole unable to open in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
2. What story did Delmore relate to Anatole in Chapter 16? What was Anatole's response?
3. How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village when he first settled in there? How did he describe it?
4. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
5. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
6. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
7. What caused Karen Horney to become enraged during a lecture in Chapter 2? What did this make Anatole later realize?
8. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
9. How did Anatole describe his friend Saul Silverman in Chapter 13?
10. How did Anatole describe ethnic differences in New York in the 1920s? How did this relate to Saul Silverman?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anatole's feelings about education following the war. What drew him to the New School? How was his military service an asset to him following WWII?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life, career and beliefs of Erich Fromm and Gestalt psychology. What were Anatole's experiences studying each? Why did Anatole find Gestalt psychology disappointing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the introduction of the G.I. Bill and the New School of Social Research. What was the school known for in the 1940s?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)