|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the school located which Anatole attended after returning from World War II?
2. How did Anais Nin describe Anatole Broyard in her diary?
3. When was Meyer Shapiro's book entitled Vincent van Gogh published?
4. Where was Anais Nin born?
5. Where was Friedrich Nietzsche born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unsettled Anatole about Sheri when he first moved in? How did the couple get along?
2. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
3. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
4. Where did Anatole discover Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
5. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
6. How did Anatole describe his friend Saul Silverman in Chapter 13?
7. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
8. How old was Anatole Broyard at the opening of the book? From where had he returned? How was the setting described?
9. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
10. What did Anatole feel he inherited himself from the works of great literary authors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the art historian Meyer Shapiro and his interdisciplinary approach to the study of works of art. How did Anatole and the other students feel about Shapiro as a teacher?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Anatole's purchase of a bookstore in 1946. Where was Anatole's bookstore located? How much did he pay for it, and where did he get the money?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the artist Nemiceio Zanarte and his relationship to Sheri and Anatole in the narrative. Why did Zanarte present a case for Anatole to give Sheri her freedom?
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)