|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sheri's last name?
2. When was Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir published?
3. When did Meyer Schapiro's family emigrate to the United States?
4. After learning of Sheri's medical condition, what did Anatole often do?
5. When was Karen Horney born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sheri reveal to Anatole about her medical condition in Chapter 5? What was his response?
2. Whom did Anatole seek a recommendation from for a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? Who was recommended to him?
3. What was the New School of Social Research known as during the Post WWII era? Why?
4. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
5. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
6. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
7. What led Anatole to suspect Dick Gilman had been reading Nietzsche in Chapter 3?
8. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
9. What break-through did Anatole experience while seeing a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
10. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How had Anatole's experiences in the military changed him? In what ways did Anatole "hide" his African American heritage? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events in Chapter 10 which led to Anatole's decision to leave Sheri. Why did Anatole perceive Sheri would have wanted to commit suicide? Why did he feel that leaving was the best thing?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anatole's friend Dick Gilman. Why did Gilman feel that he was a better match for Sheri? How did Dick react to reading new authors?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)