|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Meyer Schapiro born?
2. What U.S. President signed in the G.I. Bill?
3. Friedrich Nietzsche commented that the best thoughts came about while doing what activity?
4. When was D.H. Lawrence born?
5. What is the official name of the G.I. Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
2. Who arrived at Anatole's door in Chapter 12? Why?
3. What did Anatole stop to pick up at Sheri's apartment in Chapter 12? What did he take with him?
4. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
5. How did Anatole meet Delmore Schwartz? How did he describe him?
6. How did Anatole describe his friend Saul Silverman in Chapter 13?
7. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
8. Where did Anatole discover Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
9. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
10. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning of the title of the book? What was Broyard's association with Franz Kafka?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the literary world in which Anatole was associated. What writers emerged from the New School during his time there? What authors were predominant in literary circles and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anais Nin, Henry Miller, Carl Jung and Otto Rank. How had Miller and Nin known one another? How did Sheri know Nin?
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)