|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Friedrich Nietzsche commented that the best thoughts came about while doing what activity?
2. How many siblings did Anatole Broyard have?
3. With whom had Anais Nin once lived with in France?
4. When did Meyer Schapiro's family emigrate to the United States?
5. What refers to a theory of mind and brain positing that the operational principle of the brain is holistic, parallel, and analog, with self-organizing tendencies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
2. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
3. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
4. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
5. What break-through did Anatole experience while seeing a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
6. What caused Karen Horney to become enraged during a lecture in Chapter 2? What did this make Anatole later realize?
7. What did Anatole feel he inherited himself from the works of great literary authors?
8. Under what famed psychologist did Anatole study at the New School? How did students feel about this instructor?
9. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
10. What fields of specialization is the New School renown for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How had Anatole's experiences in the military changed him? In what ways did Anatole "hide" his African American heritage? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life, career and beliefs of Erich Fromm and Gestalt psychology. What were Anatole's experiences studying each? Why did Anatole find Gestalt psychology disappointing?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the artist Sheri Donatti and her relationship with Anatole Broyard. How old was Sheri when they met? How did Anatole describe her appearance and personality?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)