|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It unnerved Anatole that Sheri never wore ___________.
2. What Spanish artist presented the argument that he was more appropriate for Sheri in Chapter 3?
3. When was Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir published?
4. What term refers to the advance group in any field, especially in the visual, literary, or musical arts, whose works are characterized chiefly by unorthodox and experimental methods?
5. After the Spanish artist departed in Chapter 3, an angered Anatole refused Sheri's advances for how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
2. How many sessions did Anatole have with a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? What progress was made?
3. Under what famed psychologist did Anatole study at the New School? How did students feel about this instructor?
4. What fields of specialization is the New School renown for?
5. Under whom did Anatole study Gestalt psychology and Freudian revisionism at the New School? What were these teachers like?
6. Where did Anatole discover Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
7. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
8. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
9. What explanation did Sheri offer for the state of Anatole's apartment? What did he discover about their living arrangement?
10. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the artist Sheri Donatti and her relationship with Anatole Broyard. How old was Sheri when they met? How did Anatole describe her appearance and personality?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the early childhood of Anatole Broyard and his family history. Where was Broyard born? When did his family move to Brooklyn and why? How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events in Chapter 10 which led to Anatole's decision to leave Sheri. Why did Anatole perceive Sheri would have wanted to commit suicide? Why did he feel that leaving was the best thing?
This section contains 1,417 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)