|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Books kept the lives of Anatole and his contemporaries from being totally overwhelmed by ___________.
2. Who was quoted as saying, "A good book review is an act of seduction, and when he [Broyard] did it there was no one better"?
3. Whom did Anais Nin consider to be one of her disciples?
4. How late was Anatole to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
5. Due to Sheri's medical condition, Anatole was often what in their lovemaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village when he first settled in there? How did he describe it?
2. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
3. How many sessions did Anatole have with a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? What progress was made?
4. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
5. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
6. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
7. How old was Anatole Broyard at the opening of the book? From where had he returned? How was the setting described?
8. Sheri explained to Anatole that due to her medical condition she could not do what? How did he assist her?
9. What explanation did Sheri offer for the state of Anatole's apartment? What did he discover about their living arrangement?
10. What led Anatole to suspect Dick Gilman had been reading Nietzsche in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life, career, and relationships of Sheri Martinelli. By what other names was Sheri written in other works?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anatole's friend Dick Gilman. Why did Gilman feel that he was a better match for Sheri? How did Dick react to reading new authors?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anatole's impressions of the customers who frequented his bookstore. What did Anatole criticize about many customers? How was his appreciation for literature different?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)