|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Meyer Shapiro talk more often to than his students?
2. How many sessions did Anatole have with the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
3. Where was D.H. Lawrence born?
4. How many siblings did Anatole Broyard have?
5. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, Anatole offered that although he'd been transfigured by love, it hadn't lived up to _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
2. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
3. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
4. What explanation did Sheri offer for the state of Anatole's apartment? What did he discover about their living arrangement?
5. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
6. How did Anatole pay for his college tuition? How did he feel about attaining a degree?
7. How was Sheri described in the narrative? What was her appearance like?
8. What was the New School of Social Research known as during the Post WWII era? Why?
9. How did Anatole meet Anais Nin? How did he describe her?
10. How many sessions did Anatole have with a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? What progress was made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life, career, and relationships of Sheri Martinelli. By what other names was Sheri written in other works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the intimate aspects of Anatole and Sheri's relationship. How did Anatole define sexual intimacy for himself? How did Sheri's views of sexuality differ?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Freudian revisionist movement and the teachings of Karen Horney at the New School. What did Horney observe about neurotics and why?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)