|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erich Fromm was known to criticize his students for not accepting what aspect of freedom?
2. When was the G.I. Bill introduced?
3. Karen Horney was often classified as __________.
4. Karen Horney taught her students that neurotics were healthier than "normal" people because they __________.
5. Where was Anais Nin born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
2. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
3. What unsettled Anatole about Sheri when he first moved in? How did the couple get along?
4. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
5. What break-through did Anatole experience while seeing a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
6. What fields of specialization is the New School renown for?
7. What did Anatole feel he inherited himself from the works of great literary authors?
8. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
9. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
10. How old was Anatole Broyard at the opening of the book? From where had he returned? How was the setting described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life, career and beliefs of Erich Fromm and Gestalt psychology. What were Anatole's experiences studying each? Why did Anatole find Gestalt psychology disappointing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the introduction of the G.I. Bill and the New School of Social Research. What was the school known for in the 1940s?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the art historian Meyer Shapiro and his interdisciplinary approach to the study of works of art. How did Anatole and the other students feel about Shapiro as a teacher?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)