|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Anatole Broyard when he finished serving in World War II?
2. What aspect of his heritage did Anatole keep hidden?
3. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's first wife?
4. Where was Meyer Schapiro born?
5. When was The Metamorphosis published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fields of specialization is the New School renown for?
2. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
3. How was Sheri described in the narrative? What was her appearance like?
4. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
5. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
6. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
7. Under whom did Anatole study Gestalt psychology and Freudian revisionism at the New School? What were these teachers like?
8. What caused Karen Horney to become enraged during a lecture in Chapter 2? What did this make Anatole later realize?
9. How old was Anatole Broyard at the opening of the book? From where had he returned? How was the setting described?
10. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Anatole's purchase of a bookstore in 1946. Where was Anatole's bookstore located? How much did he pay for it, and where did he get the money?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the intimate aspects of Anatole and Sheri's relationship. How did Anatole define sexual intimacy for himself? How did Sheri's views of sexuality differ?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the early childhood of Anatole Broyard and his family history. Where was Broyard born? When did his family move to Brooklyn and why? How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)