|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of store did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4?
2. What school did Anatole attend after returning from World War II?
3. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, Anatole offered that although he'd been transfigured by love, it hadn't lived up to _________.
4. When was Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir published?
5. Not much progress was realized in his sessions with the psychoanalyst because Anatole could never _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How many sessions did Anatole have with a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? What progress was made?
2. Under what famed psychologist did Anatole study at the New School? How did students feel about this instructor?
3. What led Anatole to suspect Dick Gilman had been reading Nietzsche in Chapter 3?
4. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
5. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
6. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
7. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
8. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
9. How was Sheri described in the narrative? What was her appearance like?
10. What unsettled Anatole about Sheri when he first moved in? How did the couple get along?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anais Nin, Henry Miller, Carl Jung and Otto Rank. How had Miller and Nin known one another? How did Sheri know Nin?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anatole's friend Dick Gilman. Why did Gilman feel that he was a better match for Sheri? How did Dick react to reading new authors?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Freudian revisionist movement and the teachings of Karen Horney at the New School. What did Horney observe about neurotics and why?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)