|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession did Anatole Broyard's father hold?
2. With whom had Anais Nin once lived with in France?
3. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, Anatole offered that although he'd been transfigured by love, it hadn't lived up to _________.
4. When was Anais Nin born?
5. What overwhelmed the kitchen in the apartment Anatole took after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
2. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
3. How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village when he first settled in there? How did he describe it?
4. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
5. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
6. How was Sheri described in the narrative? What was her appearance like?
7. How did Anatole meet Anais Nin? How did he describe her?
8. What caused Karen Horney to become enraged during a lecture in Chapter 2? What did this make Anatole later realize?
9. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
10. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anatole's feelings about education following the war. What drew him to the New School? How was his military service an asset to him following WWII?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the literary world in which Anatole was associated. What writers emerged from the New School during his time there? What authors were predominant in literary circles and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anais Nin, Henry Miller, Carl Jung and Otto Rank. How had Miller and Nin known one another? How did Sheri know Nin?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)