|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How late was Anatole to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
2. What school did Anatole attend after returning from World War II?
3. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, Anatole offered that although he'd been transfigured by love, it hadn't lived up to _________.
4. Whom did Anais Nin consider to be one of her disciples?
5. When was Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the New School of Social Research known as during the Post WWII era? Why?
2. What did Anatole feel he inherited himself from the works of great literary authors?
3. What break-through did Anatole experience while seeing a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
4. How did Anatole meet Anais Nin? How did he describe her?
5. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
6. What caused Karen Horney to become enraged during a lecture in Chapter 2? What did this make Anatole later realize?
7. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
8. Sheri explained to Anatole that due to her medical condition she could not do what? How did he assist her?
9. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
10. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the art historian Meyer Shapiro and his interdisciplinary approach to the study of works of art. How did Anatole and the other students feel about Shapiro as a teacher?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of the memoir. What was the atmosphere in Greenwich Village like in 1946? How did Anatole feel arriving home from the war?
Essay Topic 3
How had Anatole's experiences in the military changed him? In what ways did Anatole "hide" his African American heritage? Why?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)