|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Erich Fromm an opponent of, which he considered an apt description of the lives of most Americans?
2. Anais Nin was briefly a patient of what famed psychoanalyst?
3. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's mother?
4. What did Sheri not approve of from Anatole?
5. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what famed psychologist did Anatole study at the New School? How did students feel about this instructor?
2. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
3. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
4. Under whom did Anatole study Gestalt psychology and Freudian revisionism at the New School? What were these teachers like?
5. What did Sheri reveal to Anatole about her medical condition in Chapter 5? What was his response?
6. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
7. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
8. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
9. What unsettled Anatole about Sheri when he first moved in? How did the couple get along?
10. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anatole's feelings about education following the war. What drew him to the New School? How was his military service an asset to him following WWII?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the art historian Meyer Shapiro and his interdisciplinary approach to the study of works of art. How did Anatole and the other students feel about Shapiro as a teacher?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life, career and beliefs of Erich Fromm and Gestalt psychology. What were Anatole's experiences studying each? Why did Anatole find Gestalt psychology disappointing?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)