|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Spanish artist presented the argument that he was more appropriate for Sheri in Chapter 3?
2. Erich Fromm was known to criticize his students for not accepting what aspect of freedom?
3. On one occasion, Sheri and Anatole were so stimulated by Schapiro's lecture on whom that they ran to the roof of the school and made love in the dusky sundown?
4. In his favorite authors, Anatole felt he had inherited a new set of ___________.
5. What did Anatole blurt out before leaving his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
2. Under what famed psychologist did Anatole study at the New School? How did students feel about this instructor?
3. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
4. How was Sheri described in the narrative? What was her appearance like?
5. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
6. How many sessions did Anatole have with a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? What progress was made?
7. What explanation did Sheri offer for the state of Anatole's apartment? What did he discover about their living arrangement?
8. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
9. What unsettled Anatole about Sheri when he first moved in? How did the couple get along?
10. Sheri explained to Anatole that due to her medical condition she could not do what? How did he assist her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anatole's friend Dick Gilman. Why did Gilman feel that he was a better match for Sheri? How did Dick react to reading new authors?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the intimate aspects of Anatole and Sheri's relationship. How did Anatole define sexual intimacy for himself? How did Sheri's views of sexuality differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life, career and beliefs of Erich Fromm and Gestalt psychology. What were Anatole's experiences studying each? Why did Anatole find Gestalt psychology disappointing?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)