|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After learning of Sheri's medical condition, what did Anatole often do?
2. Not much progress was realized in his sessions with the psychoanalyst because Anatole could never _________.
3. With whom had Anais Nin once lived with in France?
4. Where was Friedrich Nietzsche born?
5. What medical condition did Sheri tell Anatole she had in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
2. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
3. What led Anatole to suspect Dick Gilman had been reading Nietzsche in Chapter 3?
4. What was the New School of Social Research known as during the Post WWII era? Why?
5. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
6. How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village when he first settled in there? How did he describe it?
7. Sheri explained to Anatole that due to her medical condition she could not do what? How did he assist her?
8. How did Anatole pay for his college tuition? How did he feel about attaining a degree?
9. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
10. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the introduction of the G.I. Bill and the New School of Social Research. What was the school known for in the 1940s?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Anatole's decision to seek psychoanalysis in the narrative. How common was psychoanalysis in New York during this period? To what school of thought did Schachtel ascribe?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life, career and beliefs of Erich Fromm and Gestalt psychology. What were Anatole's experiences studying each? Why did Anatole find Gestalt psychology disappointing?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)