|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What friend asked Anatole to collaborate on a magazine piece on jazz music in Chapter 11?
(a) Erich Fromm.
(b) John Leonard.
(c) Milton Klonsky.
(d) Meyer Schapiro.
2. Where did Anatole move to in Chapter 12?
(a) Prince Street.
(b) Jackson Street.
(c) King Street.
(d) Sultan Street.
3. Anatole's mother slowed her speech when speaking with Sheri because she thought ______________.
(a) Sheri was hard of hearing.
(b) Sheri wasn't listening.
(c) Sheri couldn't read.
(d) Sheri was foreign.
4. After hearing cute baby and childhood stories about Anatole, what did Sheri's face reflect in Chapter 11?
5. Where did Anatole find Sheri one night in Chapter 10?
(a) In the bathroom.
(b) In a doorway.
(d) In the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya asked Anatole to assist Dylan Thomas by doing what in Chapter 15?
2. Anatole told whom that he planned on keeping the painting because it was his in Chapter 12?
3. What was Maya Deren's principle profession?
4. Anatole told Delmore and two other colleagues about a night he witnessed what in Spanish Harlem?
5. When was Ernest Hemingway born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole meet Delmore Schwartz? How did he describe him?
2. Where did Anatole go after leaving Sheri in Chapter 11? How did he feel about the location?
3. Where did Anatole discover Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
4. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
5. How were Anatole's and Sheri's experiences of sex described in Chapter 10?
6. How did Anatole describe his friend Saul Silverman in Chapter 13?
7. Where did Anatole discover Sheri after leaving class in Chapter 11? What was his reaction?
8. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
9. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
10. What scene took place with Dylan Thomas' wife in Chapter 15?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)