|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anatole became acquainted with Delmore Schwartz when had accepted a piece Anatole had written for what publication?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) National Geographic.
(c) Partisan Magazine.
2. What did Anatole turn off after finding Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
(a) The vacuum.
(b) The gas stove.
(c) The lights.
(d) The radio.
3. Saul Silverman prefaced telling Anatole about his illness by making him agree to __________.
(a) A gentleman's agreement.
(b) Take a solemn oath.
(c) Swear on the bible.
(d) A no-fussing pact.
4. To Sheri, sex was an exploration of ____________.
5. Who wrote Tropic of Capricorn?
(a) Henry Miller.
(b) Alexandra Broyard.
(c) Anatole Broyard.
(d) Caitlin Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ernest Hemingway win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
2. What was Maya Deren's principle profession?
3. What made Anatole grow faint in Chapter 10?
4. Who wrote Lady Chatterley's Lover?
5. What did Anatole do with Sheri after her surprise visit in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
2. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
3. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
4. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
5. How did Anatole describe ethnic differences in New York in the 1920s? How did this relate to Saul Silverman?
6. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
7. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
8. How did Anatole meet Delmore Schwartz? How did he describe him?
9. Where did Anatole discover Sheri after leaving class in Chapter 11? What was his reaction?
10. What did Anatole question about Sheri's "message" in Chapter 10 when he found her in the middle of the night?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)