|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Maya Deren's birth name?
(a) Eliza Orzeszkowa.
(b) Dagmara Dominczyk.
(c) Dorota Rabczewska.
(d) Eleanora Derenkowsky.
2. What did Anatole open before taking Sheri to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) The oven.
(b) A book.
3. Who wrote Tropic of Capricorn?
(a) Caitlin Thomas.
(b) Anatole Broyard.
(c) Henry Miller.
(d) Alexandra Broyard.
4. What did Anatole fear his father would see when Sheri went flailing in the chair in Chapter 11?
(a) Her lack of underwear.
(b) Her socks.
(c) That she wore a wig.
(d) Her jewelry.
5. Although Anatole aspired to be an intellectual, when he read a book, he made sure he kept an eye on __________.
(a) The birds.
(b) The weather.
(c) The real world.
(d) His bag.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anatole wrote that in New York in the twenties, ethnic differences weren't ignored but were devoid of ______.
2. What did Saul Silverman's mother blame for his illness?
3. When was Virginia Woolf born?
4. What did Anatole take with him from the empty apartment in Chapter 12?
5. Where was Dylan Thomas born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Anatole discover Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
2. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
3. How were Anatole's and Sheri's experiences of sex described in Chapter 10?
4. What did Saul reveal to Anatole at Prospect Park? On what condition did he speak to him?
5. Where did Anatole go after leaving Sheri in Chapter 11? How did he feel about the location?
6. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
7. How did Anatole describe ethnic differences in New York in the 1920s? How did this relate to Saul Silverman?
8. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
9. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
10. Why did Anatole close his bookstore in Chapter 11? What did he go on to do?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)