|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Tropic of Capricorn first published?
2. After how long since Saul told Anatole he was dying was he hospitalized and soon died?
(a) Two years.
(b) Twelve hours.
(c) A few days.
(d) Two months.
3. Anatole wrote that in New York in the twenties, ethnic differences weren't ignored but were devoid of ______.
4. Although Anatole admired Delmore's intellectualism and love of the literary, it was almost as though his head was so wrapped up in books that he was unable to accept _____________.
(a) His true self.
(b) The raw data of reality.
5. George Eliot was the pen name for whom?
(a) Anais Nin.
(b) Mary Anne Evans.
(c) Caitlin Thomas.
(d) Alexandra Broyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anatole move to in Chapter 12?
2. When did Ernest Hemingway win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
3. Anatole thought that Sheri was weird, and she felt that he was ______________.
4. What was Maya Deren's principle profession?
5. Who began fighting and throwing things at the welcome home party for Maya Deren?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole meet Delmore Schwartz? How did he describe him?
2. What story did Delmore relate to Anatole in Chapter 16? What was Anatole's response?
3. What did Saul reveal to Anatole at Prospect Park? On what condition did he speak to him?
4. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
5. Who arrived at Anatole's door in Chapter 12? Why?
6. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
7. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
8. Where did Anatole go after leaving Sheri in Chapter 11? How did he feel about the location?
9. What led to Sheri flying out of a chair in Chapter 11? What did Anatole do?
10. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)