|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Ernest Hemingway win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
2. What did Anatole do with Sheri after her surprise visit in Chapter 11?
(a) Took her to church.
(b) Kicked her out.
(c) Went to dinner.
(d) Went home with her.
3. Who wrote Lady Chatterley's Lover?
(a) Anatole Broyard.
(b) Dylan Thomas.
(c) Anais Nin.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
4. When Anatole's friend Saul fell ill, he was working as a literary critic for which publication?
(a) Time Magazine.
(b) The New Leader.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) The New York Times.
5. Whom did Anatole leave the painting with in Chapter 12?
(a) Eleanora Derenkowsky.
(b) His father.
(d) Detective Scanlon.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing cute baby and childhood stories about Anatole, what did Sheri's face reflect in Chapter 11?
2. After how long since Saul told Anatole he was dying was he hospitalized and soon died?
3. When Pablito returned to the club in Spanish Harlem, where was he injured?
4. What hot spot of Spanish Harlem did Delmore and friends head to in Chapter 14?
5. Maya asked Anatole to assist Dylan Thomas by doing what in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scene took place with Dylan Thomas' wife in Chapter 15?
2. What did the upper middle-class girls which Anatole knew grow up reading? How did this impact them romantically?
3. What did Anatole question about Sheri's "message" in Chapter 10 when he found her in the middle of the night?
4. Who arrived at Anatole's door in Chapter 12? Why?
5. What did Anatole not know about his friend Saul?
6. Why did Anatole close his bookstore in Chapter 11? What did he go on to do?
7. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
8. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
9. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
10. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)