|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After how long since Saul told Anatole he was dying was he hospitalized and soon died?
(a) Two months.
(b) A few days.
(c) Twelve hours.
(d) Two years.
2. Who asked Anatole to come with him to the station in Chapter 12?
(a) Captain Stevens.
(b) Detective Miller.
(c) Detective Scanlon.
(d) Captain Montrose.
3. To Sheri, sex was an exploration of ____________.
4. What did Anatole not know about Saul's fighting during World War II?
(a) What Saul did.
(b) Why he fought.
(c) When he fought.
(d) On whose side he fought.
5. Who wrote Tropic of Capricorn?
(a) Anatole Broyard.
(b) Caitlin Thomas.
(c) Alexandra Broyard.
(d) Henry Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Anatole's mother and Sheri to go flying back in the chair in Chapter 11?
2. What was Anatole's religion in childhood?
3. When was Maya Deren born?
4. What had Sheri turned on in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
5. Who reported that Anatole stole a painting in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
2. How did Anatole meet Delmore Schwartz? How did he describe him?
3. How were Anatole's and Sheri's experiences of sex described in Chapter 10?
4. What did Anatole question about Sheri's "message" in Chapter 10 when he found her in the middle of the night?
5. How did Anatole relate the desires of women in the late 1940s? How did men differ?
6. Why did Anatole close his bookstore in Chapter 11? What did he go on to do?
7. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
8. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
9. Where did Anatole go after leaving Sheri in Chapter 11? How did he feel about the location?
10. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)