|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Anatole close as it reminded him too much of Sheri in Chapter 11?
(a) His bookstore.
(b) His bank account.
(c) His heart.
(d) His bakery.
2. When was George Eliot born?
3. Who began fighting and throwing things at the welcome home party for Maya Deren?
(a) John Leonard.
(b) Meyer Schapiro.
(c) Alexandra Broyard.
(d) Caitlin Thomas.
4. Along with Truman Capote, Joan Didion, Hunter S. Thompson, John McPhee, and Tom Wolfe, Mailer is considered an innovator of what genre?
(a) Action fiction.
(b) Creative nonfiction.
(c) Fictitious nonfiction.
(d) Ironic fairytales.
5. What was Sheri doing when Anatole found her in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
(b) Trying to kill herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anatole not know about Saul's fighting during World War II?
2. Lady Chatterley's Lover was banned from being openly published in Great Britain until what year?
3. Anatole told Delmore and two other colleagues about a night he witnessed what in Spanish Harlem?
4. Whom did Anatole leave the painting with in Chapter 12?
5. Saul Silverman prefaced telling Anatole about his illness by making him agree to __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Anatole close his bookstore in Chapter 11? What did he go on to do?
2. What did Anatole stop to pick up at Sheri's apartment in Chapter 12? What did he take with him?
3. How did Anatole describe his friend Saul Silverman in Chapter 13?
4. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
5. What did the upper middle-class girls which Anatole knew grow up reading? How did this impact them romantically?
6. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
7. How did Anatole describe ethnic differences in New York in the 1920s? How did this relate to Saul Silverman?
8. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
9. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
10. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)