|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Maya Deren born?
2. What did Anatole open before taking Sheri to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) The oven.
(d) A book.
3. What did Anatole do with Sheri after her surprise visit in Chapter 11?
(a) Went to dinner.
(b) Took her to church.
(c) Went home with her.
(d) Kicked her out.
4. For Anatole, sex with Sheri never became what kind of experience?
5. When was George Eliot born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Saul Silverman prefaced telling Anatole about his illness by making him agree to __________.
2. Maya asked Anatole to assist Dylan Thomas by doing what in Chapter 15?
3. Who helped bring together the book and publication of Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir after Anatole Broyard's death?
4. What did Saul Silverman's mother blame for his illness?
5. When did Ernest Hemingway win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Anatole close his bookstore in Chapter 11? What did he go on to do?
2. Where did Anatole move after leaving his parents' home in Chapter 12? How did he feel about the move?
3. How did Anatole describe ethnic differences in New York in the 1920s? How did this relate to Saul Silverman?
4. Who arrived at Anatole's door in Chapter 12? Why?
5. Where did Anatole discover Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
6. Where did Anatole encounter the writer Dylan Thomas and his wife in Chapter 15?
7. How did Anatole meet Delmore Schwartz? How did he describe him?
8. What story did Anatole relate to Delmore Schwartz in Chapter 14?
9. When did Anatole Broyard die? Who assisted in the completion of the book?
10. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)