|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Erich Fromm born?
2. To what neighborhood did Anatole Broyard move after he returned from the war?
(a) Park Slope.
(b) Greenwich Village.
(c) Upper East Side.
(d) Bedford Stuyvesant.
3. When was Franz Kafka born?
4. Where was Kafka born?
5. When was the G.I. Bill introduced?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Anatole purchase a store in Chapter 4?
2. What was Erich Fromm an opponent of, which he considered an apt description of the lives of most Americans?
3. What term refers to the advance group in any field, especially in the visual, literary, or musical arts, whose works are characterized chiefly by unorthodox and experimental methods?
4. What was Anatole's college known as because many of its professors had fled from Europe to escape Hitler and Nazism?
5. When was Anais Nin born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
2. What explanation did Sheri offer for the state of Anatole's apartment? What did he discover about their living arrangement?
3. What unsettled Anatole about Sheri when he first moved in? How did the couple get along?
4. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
5. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
6. What caused Karen Horney to become enraged during a lecture in Chapter 2? What did this make Anatole later realize?
7. What was the New School of Social Research known as during the Post WWII era? Why?
8. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
9. What did Anatole feel he inherited himself from the works of great literary authors?
10. How many sessions did Anatole have with a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? What progress was made?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)