|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What overwhelmed the kitchen in the apartment Anatole took after the war?
(a) A library.
(b) A whiskey still.
(c) A horse corral.
(d) A printing press.
2. How late was Anatole to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) 5 minutes.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 1 hour.
3. Due to Sheri's medical condition, Anatole was often what in their lovemaking?
4. In Chapter 3, a Spanish artist presented Anatole with the fact that he and Sheri were not _____________.
(a) Anatomically correct.
5. When was D.H. Lawrence born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Meyer Schapiro's family emigrate to the United States?
2. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's first wife?
3. How old was Anatole Broyard when he finished serving in World War II?
4. Sheri sparked Anatole's interest in what subject, despite his feeling of being alienated by it?
5. What had Anatole sold to the Japanese while serving with the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anatole feel he inherited himself from the works of great literary authors?
2. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
3. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
4. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
5. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
6. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
7. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
8. What explanation did Sheri offer for the state of Anatole's apartment? What did he discover about their living arrangement?
9. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
10. What led Anatole to suspect Dick Gilman had been reading Nietzsche in Chapter 3?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)