|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Meyer Schapiro born?
2. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
(a) The Munich School of rhetorical theory.
(b) The Berlin School of criminal justice.
(c) The Stuttgart School of American studies.
(d) The Frankfurt School of critical theory.
3. After the Spanish artist departed in Chapter 3, an angered Anatole refused Sheri's advances for how long?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 5 minutes.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 14 hours.
4. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's mother?
(a) Edna Miller.
(b) Betsy Williams.
(c) Wilma Henderson.
(d) Josephine Mills.
5. What was Anatole unable to open in Chapter 5?
(a) A wine bottle.
(b) A door.
(c) A jar.
(d) A dresser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's father?
2. Due to Sheri's medical condition, Anatole was often what in their lovemaking?
3. What color eyes did Sheri have?
4. What was Anatole's college known as because many of its professors had fled from Europe to escape Hitler and Nazism?
5. When was Friedrich Nietzsche born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
2. What story did Delmore relate to Anatole in Chapter 16? What was Anatole's response?
3. How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village when he first settled in there? How did he describe it?
4. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
5. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
6. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
7. What caused Karen Horney to become enraged during a lecture in Chapter 2? What did this make Anatole later realize?
8. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
9. How did Anatole describe his friend Saul Silverman in Chapter 13?
10. How did Anatole describe ethnic differences in New York in the 1920s? How did this relate to Saul Silverman?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)