|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, a Spanish artist presented Anatole with the fact that he and Sheri were not _____________.
(c) Anatomically correct.
2. To what neighborhood did Anatole Broyard move after he returned from the war?
(a) Bedford Stuyvesant.
(b) Upper East Side.
(c) Greenwich Village.
(d) Park Slope.
3. Who was quoted as saying, "A good book review is an act of seduction, and when he [Broyard] did it there was no one better"?
(a) Erich Fromm.
(b) John Leonard.
(c) Meyer Schapiro.
(d) Ernest Schachtel.
4. What medical condition did Sheri tell Anatole she had in Chapter 6?
(b) The plague.
(c) A bad heart.
5. In what year did Anatole Broyard complete his military service?
Short Answer Questions
1. Anais Nin was briefly a patient of what famed psychoanalyst?
2. What color eyes did Sheri have?
3. In what year did World War II end?
4. What had Anatole sold to the Japanese while serving with the military?
5. When was Franz Kafka born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
2. Sheri explained to Anatole that due to her medical condition she could not do what? How did he assist her?
3. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
4. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
5. How did Anatole meet Anais Nin? How did he describe her?
6. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
7. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
8. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
9. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
10. How was Sheri described in the narrative? What was her appearance like?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)