|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What medical condition did Sheri tell Anatole she had in Chapter 6?
(a) The plague.
(b) A bad heart.
2. What color eyes did Sheri have?
3. Where did Anatole's parents live after he returned from the war?
(b) The Bronx.
4. Who leased a room to Anatole Broyard after he returned from the war?
(a) Sheri Kafka.
(b) Sheri Donatti.
(c) Franz Kafka.
(d) Franz Donatti.
5. When was The Metamorphosis published?
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a theory of mind and brain positing that the operational principle of the brain is holistic, parallel, and analog, with self-organizing tendencies?
2. How many siblings did Anatole Broyard have?
3. What term refers to the advance group in any field, especially in the visual, literary, or musical arts, whose works are characterized chiefly by unorthodox and experimental methods?
4. Books were the obsession of young men in Anatole's years much as __________ were to men of the sixties.
5. What was Anatole's college known as because many of its professors had fled from Europe to escape Hitler and Nazism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under whom did Anatole study Gestalt psychology and Freudian revisionism at the New School? What were these teachers like?
2. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
3. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
4. What explanation did Sheri offer for the state of Anatole's apartment? What did he discover about their living arrangement?
5. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
6. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
7. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
8. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
9. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
10. Under what famed psychologist did Anatole study at the New School? How did students feel about this instructor?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)