|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Kafka born?
2. Books kept the lives of Anatole and his contemporaries from being totally overwhelmed by ___________.
(b) Rock and roll.
(d) The government.
3. When was Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir published?
4. For what publication was Anatole a literary critic?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The Miami Herald.
(c) The L.A. Times.
(d) The New York Times.
5. What refers to a theory of mind and brain positing that the operational principle of the brain is holistic, parallel, and analog, with self-organizing tendencies?
(a) Psychological gestation.
(b) Gestalt psychology.
(c) Kafka psychology.
(d) Basalt psychology.
Short Answer Questions
1. Friedrich Nietzsche commented that the best thoughts came about while doing what activity?
2. What was Erich Fromm an opponent of, which he considered an apt description of the lives of most Americans?
3. What profession did Anatole Broyard's father hold?
4. It unnerved Anatole that Sheri never wore ___________.
5. Where was Meyer Schapiro born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
2. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
3. How did Anatole meet Anais Nin? How did he describe her?
4. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
5. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
6. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
7. What did Sheri reveal to Anatole about her medical condition in Chapter 5? What was his response?
8. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
9. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
10. What did Anatole feel he inherited himself from the works of great literary authors?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)