|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Anatole's parents live after he returned from the war?
(a) The Bronx.
2. Who recommended a psychoanalyst to Anatole in Chapter 7?
(a) Ernest Schachtel.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) John Leonard.
(d) Erich Fromm.
3. Where was the school located which Anatole attended after returning from World War II?
(a) West 10th Street.
(b) East 12th Street.
(c) West 12th Street.
(d) East 42nd Street.
4. What school did Anatole attend after returning from World War II?
(a) The New School for Social Research.
(b) The Old School for Social Reform.
(c) Cambridge University.
(d) Yale University.
5. What was Anatole's college known as because many of its professors had fled from Europe to escape Hitler and Nazism?
(a) Institution of Transients.
(b) Refugee University.
(c) University in Exile.
(d) Misplaced University.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, what did Anatole attempt to take back?
2. When was The Metamorphosis published?
3. When did Meyer Schapiro's family emigrate to the United States?
4. When was Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir published?
5. What U.S. President signed in the G.I. Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anatole feel he inherited himself from the works of great literary authors?
2. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
3. How many sessions did Anatole have with a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? What progress was made?
4. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
5. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
6. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
7. How old was Anatole Broyard at the opening of the book? From where had he returned? How was the setting described?
8. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
9. How was Sheri described in the narrative? What was her appearance like?
10. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)