|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, what did Anatole attempt to take back?
(a) His commment about being disappointed in love.
(b) His commment about being amazed by religion.
(c) His commment about being amazed by love.
(d) His commment about being disappointed in religion.
2. In what year did World War II end?
3. In what year did Anatole purchase a store in Chapter 4?
4. What was Anatole's college known as because many of its professors had fled from Europe to escape Hitler and Nazism?
(a) University in Exile.
(b) Institution of Transients.
(c) Misplaced University.
(d) Refugee University.
5. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's father?
(a) Paul Anatole Broyard.
(b) Otto Anatole Broyard.
(c) Carl Anatole Broyard.
(d) Dick Anatole Broyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sheri's last name?
2. Friedrich Nietzsche commented that the best thoughts came about while doing what activity?
3. What medical condition did Sheri tell Anatole she had in Chapter 6?
4. After the Spanish artist departed in Chapter 3, an angered Anatole refused Sheri's advances for how long?
5. When was Erich Fromm born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
2. What did Anatole stop to pick up at Sheri's apartment in Chapter 12? What did he take with him?
3. How old was Anatole Broyard at the opening of the book? From where had he returned? How was the setting described?
4. What unsettled Anatole about Sheri when he first moved in? How did the couple get along?
5. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
6. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
7. How did Anatole pay for his college tuition? How did he feel about attaining a degree?
8. How did Anatole meet Delmore Schwartz? How did he describe him?
9. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
10. What was Delmore's response to Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)