|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how much had Anatole bought out a junk dealer in Chapter 4?
2. What did Sheri do while making love to Anatole in Chapter 8?
(a) Bit him.
(d) Slapped him.
3. It unnerved Anatole that Sheri never wore ___________.
4. Who was quoted as saying, "A good book review is an act of seduction, and when he [Broyard] did it there was no one better"?
(a) Meyer Schapiro.
(b) Ernest Schachtel.
(c) Erich Fromm.
(d) John Leonard.
5. Where was Meyer Schapiro born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Erich Fromm born?
2. For what publication was Anatole a literary critic?
3. How late was Anatole to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
4. Anatole shocked the Spanish artist in Chapter 3 by responding to him in what way?
5. In what year did Anatole purchase a store in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
2. What led Anatole to suspect Dick Gilman had been reading Nietzsche in Chapter 3?
3. What did Anatole question about Sheri's "message" in Chapter 10 when he found her in the middle of the night?
4. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
5. Where did Anatole discover Sheri after leaving class in Chapter 11? What was his reaction?
6. How did Anatole describe ethnic differences in New York in the 1920s? How did this relate to Saul Silverman?
7. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
8. How did Anatole relate the sexual morals of the late 1940s in Chapter 17?
9. What did the upper middle-class girls which Anatole knew grow up reading? How did this impact them romantically?
10. Sheri explained to Anatole that due to her medical condition she could not do what? How did he assist her?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)