|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It was speculation that Meyer Schapiro was not as much a fan of modern art as he was of _________.
(a) The colors that were typically used.
(b) The freaks who enjoyed it.
(c) The debate that accompanied it.
(d) The archetecture of the museums and galleries.
2. Anais Nin studied psychoanalysis from whom?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) Otto Rank.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) Henry Miller.
3. How did Anais Nin describe Anatole Broyard in her diary?
(a) Fun and intelligent.
(b) Sneaky and mysterious.
(c) Crude and boisterous.
(d) Handsome and sensual.
4. What psychoanalyst was recommended to Anatole in Chapter 7?
(a) Erich Fromm.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) John Leonard.
(d) Ernest Schachtel.
5. Where was the school located which Anatole attended after returning from World War II?
(a) East 42nd Street.
(b) West 10th Street.
(c) East 12th Street.
(d) West 12th Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the official name of the G.I. Bill?
2. Who recommended a psychoanalyst to Anatole in Chapter 7?
3. When was Anais Nin born?
4. Where was Anais Nin born?
5. Erich Fromm was known to criticize his students for not accepting what aspect of freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom did Anatole seek a recommendation from for a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? Who was recommended to him?
2. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
3. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
4. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
5. What did Sheri reveal to Anatole about her medical condition in Chapter 5? What was his response?
6. What caused Karen Horney to become enraged during a lecture in Chapter 2? What did this make Anatole later realize?
7. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
8. What was speculated about Meyer Schapiro's feelings of modern art? How did he appear to his students?
9. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
10. What explanation did Sheri offer for the state of Anatole's apartment? What did he discover about their living arrangement?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)