|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What overwhelmed the kitchen in the apartment Anatole took after the war?
(a) A printing press.
(b) A library.
(c) A whiskey still.
(d) A horse corral.
2. Sheri sparked Anatole's interest in what subject, despite his feeling of being alienated by it?
(c) Greek history.
(d) Modern art.
3. In Chapter 3, a Spanish artist presented Anatole with the fact that he and Sheri were not _____________.
(c) Anatomically correct.
4. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
(a) The Berlin School of criminal justice.
(b) The Munich School of rhetorical theory.
(c) The Frankfurt School of critical theory.
(d) The Stuttgart School of American studies.
5. What Spanish artist presented the argument that he was more appropriate for Sheri in Chapter 3?
(a) Nemiceio Zanarte.
(b) Diego Velázquez.
(c) Francisco Goya.
(d) Joaquin Sorolla.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Karen Horney born?
2. How did Anais Nin describe Anatole Broyard in her diary?
3. Where was the school located which Anatole attended after returning from World War II?
4. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, what did Anatole attempt to take back?
5. Friedrich Nietzsche commented that the best thoughts came about while doing what activity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Anatole meet Anais Nin? How did he describe her?
2. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
3. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
4. What unsettled Anatole about Sheri when he first moved in? How did the couple get along?
5. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
6. What explanation did Sheri offer for the state of Anatole's apartment? What did he discover about their living arrangement?
7. Whom did Anatole seek a recommendation from for a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? Who was recommended to him?
8. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
9. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
10. How many sessions did Anatole have with a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? What progress was made?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)