|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After learning of Sheri's medical condition, what did Anatole often do?
(a) Pushed her in a wheelchair.
(b) Cooked her meals.
(c) Carried her.
(d) Drove her to different hospitals.
2. Who leased a room to Anatole Broyard after he returned from the war?
(a) Sheri Kafka.
(b) Franz Kafka.
(c) Franz Donatti.
(d) Sheri Donatti.
3. Sheri sparked Anatole's interest in what subject, despite his feeling of being alienated by it?
(a) Modern art.
(b) Greek history.
4. Anatole shocked the Spanish artist in Chapter 3 by responding to him in what way?
(a) In Spanish.
(b) With silence.
(c) With slang terms.
(d) In sign language.
5. In his favorite authors, Anatole felt he had inherited a new set of ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visited Sheri and Anatole one night and explained that Anatole was completely wrong for Sheri and that he was the right man for her?
2. Books kept the lives of Anatole and his contemporaries from being totally overwhelmed by ___________.
3. Books were the obsession of young men in Anatole's years much as __________ were to men of the sixties.
4. It unnerved Anatole that Sheri never wore ___________.
5. In what year did Anatole Broyard complete his military service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sheri reveal to Anatole about her medical condition in Chapter 5? What was his response?
2. How did Anatole feel going into a modern art class with Meyer Schapiro?
3. What put off Anatole about some of his customers at the bookstore?
4. Under what famed psychologist did Anatole study at the New School? How did students feel about this instructor?
5. What was the New School of Social Research known as during the Post WWII era? Why?
6. What unsettled Anatole about Sheri when he first moved in? How did the couple get along?
7. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
8. How did Anatole pay for his college tuition? How did he feel about attaining a degree?
9. What did Sheri do during lovemaking with Anatole in Chapter 8? What was Anatole's reaction?
10. What break-through did Anatole experience while seeing a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)