|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession did Anatole Broyard's father hold?
2. It was speculation that Meyer Schapiro was not as much a fan of modern art as he was of _________.
(a) The archetecture of the museums and galleries.
(b) The debate that accompanied it.
(c) The colors that were typically used.
(d) The freaks who enjoyed it.
3. What refers to a theory of mind and brain positing that the operational principle of the brain is holistic, parallel, and analog, with self-organizing tendencies?
(a) Basalt psychology.
(b) Psychological gestation.
(c) Kafka psychology.
(d) Gestalt psychology.
4. In his favorite authors, Anatole felt he had inherited a new set of ___________.
5. What overwhelmed the kitchen in the apartment Anatole took after the war?
(a) A library.
(b) A printing press.
(c) A horse corral.
(d) A whiskey still.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
2. What aspect of his heritage did Anatole keep hidden?
3. Why was Anatole late to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
4. What is the official name of the G.I. Bill?
5. When was Meyer Shapiro's book entitled Vincent van Gogh published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the New School of Social Research known as during the Post WWII era? Why?
2. What break-through did Anatole experience while seeing a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
3. How was Anatole humiliated when Anais Nin offered him a wine bottle to open?
4. How did Anatole pay for his college tuition? How did he feel about attaining a degree?
5. Why did Anatole refrain from attacking Dick in Chapter 3?
6. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
7. Whom did Anatole seek a recommendation from for a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? Who was recommended to him?
8. How was Sheri described in the narrative? What was her appearance like?
9. What did Sheri reveal to Anatole about her medical condition in Chapter 5? What was his response?
10. How did Anatole feel about Greenwich Village when he first settled in there? How did he describe it?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)