|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Anatole Broyard complete his military service?
2. Where was D.H. Lawrence born?
3. Where did the psychoanalyst who was recommended to Anatole in Chapter 7 teach?
(a) New York University.
(b) The White School.
(c) The New School of Social Research.
(d) Columbia University.
4. What profession did Anatole Broyard's father hold?
5. What did Anatole study in order to become closer to Sheri?
(a) Classical poetry.
(b) Existential literature.
(c) Abstract art.
(d) American history.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anais Nin was briefly a patient of what famed psychoanalyst?
2. What did Anatole blurt out before leaving his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
3. When was The Metamorphosis published?
4. Karen Horney was often classified as __________.
5. Friedrich Nietzsche commented that the best thoughts came about while doing what activity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
2. Under whom did Anatole study Gestalt psychology and Freudian revisionism at the New School? What were these teachers like?
3. Sheri explained to Anatole that due to her medical condition she could not do what? How did he assist her?
4. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
5. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
6. How was Sheri described in the narrative? What was her appearance like?
7. What was the New School of Social Research known as during the Post WWII era? Why?
8. How old was Anatole Broyard at the opening of the book? From where had he returned? How was the setting described?
9. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
10. Under what famed psychologist did Anatole study at the New School? How did students feel about this instructor?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)