|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was D.H. Lawrence born?
2. In his favorite authors, Anatole felt he had inherited a new set of ___________.
3. In what year did Anatole Broyard complete his military service?
4. Where did Anatole's parents live after he returned from the war?
(a) The Bronx.
5. In Chapter 3, a Spanish artist presented Anatole with the fact that he and Sheri were not _____________.
(a) Anatomically correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visited Sheri and Anatole one night and explained that Anatole was completely wrong for Sheri and that he was the right man for her?
2. What refers to a theory of mind and brain positing that the operational principle of the brain is holistic, parallel, and analog, with self-organizing tendencies?
3. What term refers to the advance group in any field, especially in the visual, literary, or musical arts, whose works are characterized chiefly by unorthodox and experimental methods?
4. What color eyes did Sheri have?
5. It became apparent to Anatole in Chapter 3 that who had put the Spanish artist up to presenting his diatribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Anatole's reaction to Caitlin Thomas' advances in Chapter 15?
2. How did Anatole describe 1946 in terms of people's relationship to literature?
3. How did the students at the New School respond to Meyer Schapiro in class? Why?
4. How did Anatole explain the undercurrent of his and Sheri's relationship in Chapter 10?
5. Whom did Anatole seek a recommendation from for a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7? Who was recommended to him?
6. Under whom did Anatole study Gestalt psychology and Freudian revisionism at the New School? What were these teachers like?
7. What had happened once Pablito returned in Anatole's story in Chapter 14?
8. What conversation did Anatole have at the police station in Chapter 12?
9. What did Anatole question about Sheri's "message" in Chapter 10 when he found her in the middle of the night?
10. How did Anatole meet Anais Nin? How did he describe her?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)