|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Anatole's parents live after he returned from the war?
(b) The Bronx.
2. What profession did Anatole Broyard's father hold?
3. When did Meyer Schapiro's family emigrate to the United States?
4. It became apparent to Anatole in Chapter 3 that who had put the Spanish artist up to presenting his diatribe?
(a) Paul Anatole Broyard.
(c) D.H. Lawrence.
(d) Dick Gilman.
5. When was Franz Kafka born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was D.H. Lawrence born?
2. Who was quoted as saying, "A good book review is an act of seduction, and when he [Broyard] did it there was no one better"?
3. What school did Anatole attend after returning from World War II?
4. When was the forward of the book dated?
5. Anais Nin studied psychoanalysis from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was Anatole Broyard at the opening of the book? From where had he returned? How was the setting described?
2. Describe the apartment which Anatole rented from Sheri. What was Sheri's apartment like?
3. What break-through did Anatole experience while seeing a psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
4. What did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4? How did he have money for the purchase?
5. What unsettled Anatole about Sheri when he first moved in? How did the couple get along?
6. What did Dick Gilman present to Anatole and Sheri one night in Chapter 3? How was Dick described?
7. What did Sheri reveal to Anatole about her medical condition in Chapter 5? What was his response?
8. Under whom did Anatole study Gestalt psychology and Freudian revisionism at the New School? What were these teachers like?
9. Why did Anatole decide to enter psychoanalysis in Chapter 7?
10. Who later presented the same argument as Dick Gilman in Chapter 3? What was Anatole's reaction?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)