|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which tavern did the writer Dylan Thomas frequently visit to drink?
(a) The Black Horse Tavern.
(b) Puck Fair Tavern.
(c) The White Horse Tavern.
(d) The White Widow Tavern.
2. How long had Anatole been with Sheri when he left her?
(a) Nine weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two years.
3. When was Ernest Hemingway born?
4. Who began fighting and throwing things at the welcome home party for Maya Deren?
(a) Caitlin Thomas.
(b) John Leonard.
(c) Meyer Schapiro.
(d) Alexandra Broyard.
5. What did Anatole know at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Freud was right.
(b) Who he was.
(c) It was time to leave Sheri.
(d) There was a God.
6. Whom did Anatole leave the painting with in Chapter 12?
(a) Eleanora Derenkowsky.
(b) His father.
(c) Detective Scanlon.
7. What did Anatole find Sheri doing with his mother in Chapter 11?
(a) Attending church.
(b) Playing bridge.
(c) Looking at photo albums.
8. What caused Anatole's mother and Sheri to go flying back in the chair in Chapter 11?
(a) Sheri pulled the lever.
(b) A leg on the chair broke.
(c) Someone broke through the door.
(d) An earthquake.
9. What had Sheri turned on in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
(a) The gas stove.
(b) The vacuum.
(c) The lights.
(d) The radio.
10. What did Saul Silverman's mother blame for his illness?
(c) Food poisoning.
(d) The water.
11. What did Anatole take with him from the empty apartment in Chapter 12?
(a) His umbrella.
(b) Sheri's coat.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A painting.
12. When was Norman Mailer born?
13. Anatole's friend Saul was a romantic intellect because he didn't want to change people's politics, but he did want to change their _______________.
14. Tropic of Capricorn was a sequel to what earlier work?
(a) Longitudinal Thinking.
(b) Tropic of Cancer.
(c) Change Your Latitude.
(d) Here on the Equator.
15. When Anatole's friend Saul fell ill, he was working as a literary critic for which publication?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) The New Leader.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Time Magazine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anatole fear his father would see when Sheri went flailing in the chair in Chapter 11?
2. What did Anatole close as it reminded him too much of Sheri in Chapter 11?
3. What did Anatole not know about Saul's fighting during World War II?
4. To Sheri, sex was an exploration of ____________.
5. Lady Chatterley's Lover was banned from being openly published in Great Britain until what year?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)