|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped bring together the book and publication of Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir after Anatole Broyard's death?
(a) Alexandra Broyard.
(b) Ernest Schachtel.
(c) D.H. Lawrence.
(d) Caitlin Thomas.
2. Where was Maya Deren born?
3. What did Anatole do after Sheri went flailing in the chair in Chapter 11?
(a) Picked her up.
(d) Watched her squirm.
4. Who knocked at Anatole's door in Chapter 12?
(a) His mother.
(b) A police detective.
(c) Doug Hall.
5. Virginia Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of what group?
(a) The Order of Wankers.
(b) The Bloomsbury Group.
(c) Friends of the Queen.
(d) The Royal Readers.
6. What did Saul Silverman's mother blame for his illness?
(b) The water.
(d) Food poisoning.
7. Anatole's mother slowed her speech when speaking with Sheri because she thought ______________.
(a) Sheri was hard of hearing.
(b) Sheri was foreign.
(c) Sheri wasn't listening.
(d) Sheri couldn't read.
8. After hearing cute baby and childhood stories about Anatole, what did Sheri's face reflect in Chapter 11?
9. Who began fighting and throwing things at the welcome home party for Maya Deren?
(a) Caitlin Thomas.
(b) John Leonard.
(c) Meyer Schapiro.
(d) Alexandra Broyard.
10. Although Anatole aspired to be an intellectual, when he read a book, he made sure he kept an eye on __________.
(a) The birds.
(b) His bag.
(c) The weather.
(d) The real world.
11. Tropic of Capricorn was a sequel to what earlier work?
(a) Tropic of Cancer.
(b) Change Your Latitude.
(c) Here on the Equator.
(d) Longitudinal Thinking.
12. What did Anatole take with him from the empty apartment in Chapter 12?
(a) A painting.
(b) Sheri's coat.
(c) His umbrella.
(d) A necklace.
13. Anatole wrote that in New York in the twenties, ethnic differences weren't ignored but were devoid of ______.
14. What illness led to Saul's death?
(c) Lung cancer.
15. What did Anatole open before taking Sheri to bed in Chapter 10?
(b) A book.
(d) The oven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Dylan Thomas born?
2. What did Anatole find Sheri doing with his mother in Chapter 11?
3. George Eliot was the pen name for whom?
4. When Pablito returned to the club in Spanish Harlem, where was he injured?
5. What did Anatole go to pick up from an empty apartment in Chapter 12?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)