|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Sheri doing when Anatole found her in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
(a) Trying to kill herself.
2. What did Anatole know at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Freud was right.
(b) Who he was.
(c) It was time to leave Sheri.
(d) There was a God.
3. Where did Anatole find Sheri one night in Chapter 10?
(a) In the bathroom.
(c) In a doorway.
(d) In the kitchen.
4. Along with Truman Capote, Joan Didion, Hunter S. Thompson, John McPhee, and Tom Wolfe, Mailer is considered an innovator of what genre?
(a) Action fiction.
(b) Creative nonfiction.
(c) Fictitious nonfiction.
(d) Ironic fairytales.
5. Tropic of Capricorn was banned in the United States until what year?
6. When Anatole had asked Sheri what a painting meant to her after she finished it, she told him that he'd never be a man until he could live without ___________.
7. Where was Maya Deren born?
8. Saul Silverman prefaced telling Anatole about his illness by making him agree to __________.
(a) A no-fussing pact.
(b) Swear on the bible.
(c) A gentleman's agreement.
(d) Take a solemn oath.
9. Which tavern did the writer Dylan Thomas frequently visit to drink?
(a) The Black Horse Tavern.
(b) The White Widow Tavern.
(c) Puck Fair Tavern.
(d) The White Horse Tavern.
10. According to Anatole's writing, what national feelings followed World War II?
11. Where was Dylan Thomas born?
12. What hot spot of Spanish Harlem did Delmore and friends head to in Chapter 14?
(a) Little Havana.
(b) The library.
(c) Rico's taco's.
(d) The Park Plaza.
13. What friend asked Anatole to collaborate on a magazine piece on jazz music in Chapter 11?
(a) Milton Klonsky.
(b) Erich Fromm.
(c) Meyer Schapiro.
(d) John Leonard.
14. What did Saul think he had initially when he fell ill?
(b) The flu.
15. Anatole became acquainted with Delmore Schwartz when had accepted a piece Anatole had written for what publication?
(b) Partisan Magazine.
(c) The Chicago Tribune.
(d) National Geographic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asked Anatole to come with him to the station in Chapter 12?
2. Anatole thought that Sheri was weird, and she felt that he was ______________.
3. When was George Eliot born?
4. In reality, what did Anatole and Sheri feel for each other?
5. What did Anatole do after Sheri went flailing in the chair in Chapter 11?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)