|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Anatole close as it reminded him too much of Sheri in Chapter 11?
(a) His heart.
(b) His bakery.
(c) His bank account.
(d) His bookstore.
2. Anatole told whom that he planned on keeping the painting because it was his in Chapter 12?
(b) Detective Scanlon.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
3. Tropic of Capricorn was banned in the United States until what year?
4. What did Anatole take with him from the empty apartment in Chapter 12?
(a) A necklace.
(b) His umbrella.
(c) A painting.
(d) Sheri's coat.
5. When was Tropic of Capricorn first published?
6. Where did Anatole find Sheri one night in Chapter 10?
(a) In a doorway.
(b) In the bathroom.
(d) In the kitchen.
7. When was George Eliot born?
8. What did Anatole do after Sheri went flailing in the chair in Chapter 11?
(b) Picked her up.
(c) Watched her squirm.
9. Who helped bring together the book and publication of Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir after Anatole Broyard's death?
(a) Alexandra Broyard.
(b) Caitlin Thomas.
(c) Ernest Schachtel.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
10. What was Sheri doing when Anatole found her in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
(d) Trying to kill herself.
11. Virginia Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of what group?
(a) The Royal Readers.
(b) The Order of Wankers.
(c) Friends of the Queen.
(d) The Bloomsbury Group.
12. George Eliot was the pen name for whom?
(a) Mary Anne Evans.
(b) Caitlin Thomas.
(c) Alexandra Broyard.
(d) Anais Nin.
13. When Anatole's friend Saul fell ill, he was working as a literary critic for which publication?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Time Magazine.
(d) The New Leader.
14. Which tavern did the writer Dylan Thomas frequently visit to drink?
(a) The White Horse Tavern.
(b) The Black Horse Tavern.
(c) Puck Fair Tavern.
(d) The White Widow Tavern.
15. When was Virginia Woolf born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Anatole's mother and Sheri to go flying back in the chair in Chapter 11?
2. What did Anatole do with Sheri after her surprise visit in Chapter 11?
3. Whom did Anatole leave the painting with in Chapter 12?
4. According to Anatole's writing, what national feelings followed World War II?
5. Maya asked Anatole to assist Dylan Thomas by doing what in Chapter 15?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)