|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Anatole attend classes in Chapter 11?
(a) In the afternoons.
(b) At night.
(c) In the mornings.
(d) All day.
2. Anatole wrote that in New York in the twenties, ethnic differences weren't ignored but were devoid of ______.
3. After how long since Saul told Anatole he was dying was he hospitalized and soon died?
(a) Twelve hours.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two months.
(d) A few days.
4. What did Anatole do after Sheri went flailing in the chair in Chapter 11?
(a) Picked her up.
(b) Watched her squirm.
5. Who wrote Tropic of Capricorn?
(a) Anatole Broyard.
(b) Alexandra Broyard.
(c) Caitlin Thomas.
(d) Henry Miller.
6. What did Anatole take with him from the empty apartment in Chapter 12?
(a) Sheri's coat.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A painting.
(d) His umbrella.
7. According to Anatole's writing, what national feelings followed World War II?
8. Who had given Anatole the painting in Chapter 12?
(a) Eleanora Derenkowsky.
(c) Detective Scanlon.
(d) Saul Silverman.
9. When was Dylan Thomas born?
10. What did Anatole find Sheri doing with his mother in Chapter 11?
(b) Playing bridge.
(c) Looking at photo albums.
(d) Attending church.
11. Along with Truman Capote, Joan Didion, Hunter S. Thompson, John McPhee, and Tom Wolfe, Mailer is considered an innovator of what genre?
(a) Creative nonfiction.
(b) Fictitious nonfiction.
(c) Ironic fairytales.
(d) Action fiction.
12. What friend asked Anatole to collaborate on a magazine piece on jazz music in Chapter 11?
(a) Milton Klonsky.
(b) John Leonard.
(c) Erich Fromm.
(d) Meyer Schapiro.
13. What did Anatole open before taking Sheri to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) The oven.
(c) A book.
14. Lady Chatterley's Lover was banned from being openly published in Great Britain until what year?
15. How long had Anatole been with Sheri when he left her?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Nine weeks.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Anatole grow faint in Chapter 10?
2. After Pablito disappeared, his friends sought out the stranger. What did the friends do to him?
3. What was Maya Deren's birth name?
4. When did Ernest Hemingway win the Nobel Prize for Literature?
5. Anatole's friend Saul was a romantic intellect because he didn't want to change people's politics, but he did want to change their _______________.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)