|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Anatole attend classes in Chapter 11?
(a) In the mornings.
(b) All day.
(c) In the afternoons.
(d) At night.
2. Who wrote Lady Chatterley's Lover?
(a) Anais Nin.
(b) D.H. Lawrence.
(c) Anatole Broyard.
(d) Dylan Thomas.
3. Who reported that Anatole stole a painting in Chapter 12?
(a) Detective Scanlon.
(c) Saul Silverman.
(d) John Leonard.
4. When Anatole had asked Sheri what a painting meant to her after she finished it, she told him that he'd never be a man until he could live without ___________.
5. When Anatole's friend Saul fell ill, he was working as a literary critic for which publication?
(a) The New Leader.
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) Time Magazine.
(d) The New York Times.
6. Who helped bring together the book and publication of Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir after Anatole Broyard's death?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) Ernest Schachtel.
(c) Alexandra Broyard.
(d) Caitlin Thomas.
7. Anatole became acquainted with Delmore Schwartz when had accepted a piece Anatole had written for what publication?
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) National Geographic.
(d) Partisan Magazine.
8. Where did Anatole find Sheri one night in Chapter 10?
(a) In the kitchen.
(c) In the bathroom.
(d) In a doorway.
9. After Pablito disappeared, his friends sought out the stranger. What did the friends do to him?
(a) Made him leave town.
(b) Talked with him.
(c) Murdered him.
(d) Cut off his hand.
10. What friend asked Anatole to collaborate on a magazine piece on jazz music in Chapter 11?
(a) Erich Fromm.
(b) Milton Klonsky.
(c) Meyer Schapiro.
(d) John Leonard.
11. When was Virginia Woolf born?
12. Anatole's friend Saul was a romantic intellect because he didn't want to change people's politics, but he did want to change their _______________.
13. Who wrote Tropic of Capricorn?
(a) Alexandra Broyard.
(b) Henry Miller.
(c) Caitlin Thomas.
(d) Anatole Broyard.
14. What hot spot of Spanish Harlem did Delmore and friends head to in Chapter 14?
(a) Little Havana.
(b) The library.
(c) Rico's taco's.
(d) The Park Plaza.
15. When was George Eliot born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Anatole's mother and Sheri to go flying back in the chair in Chapter 11?
2. When was Ernest Hemingway born?
3. When Pablito returned to the club in Spanish Harlem, where was he injured?
4. In Chapter 16, Delmore asked Anatole to accompany him where to help him decide which new suit to buy?
5. After how long since Saul told Anatole he was dying was he hospitalized and soon died?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)