|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Anatole fear his father would see when Sheri went flailing in the chair in Chapter 11?
(a) Her lack of underwear.
(b) Her jewelry.
(c) That she wore a wig.
(d) Her socks.
2. What did Anatole take with him from the empty apartment in Chapter 12?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A painting.
(c) Sheri's coat.
(d) His umbrella.
3. After how long since Saul told Anatole he was dying was he hospitalized and soon died?
(a) Twelve hours.
(b) A few days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two years.
4. What friend asked Anatole to collaborate on a magazine piece on jazz music in Chapter 11?
(a) Milton Klonsky.
(b) John Leonard.
(c) Meyer Schapiro.
(d) Erich Fromm.
5. What was Sheri doing when Anatole found her in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
(c) Trying to kill herself.
6. What caused Anatole's mother and Sheri to go flying back in the chair in Chapter 11?
(a) A leg on the chair broke.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) Sheri pulled the lever.
(d) Someone broke through the door.
7. Whom did Anatole leave the painting with in Chapter 12?
(a) Detective Scanlon.
(b) Eleanora Derenkowsky.
(c) His father.
8. What was Maya Deren's principle profession?
9. When Anatole's friend Saul fell ill, he was working as a literary critic for which publication?
(a) Time Magazine.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) The New Leader.
10. Tropic of Capricorn was a sequel to what earlier work?
(a) Here on the Equator.
(b) Change Your Latitude.
(c) Tropic of Cancer.
(d) Longitudinal Thinking.
11. Where did Anatole move to in Chapter 12?
(a) Jackson Street.
(b) Sultan Street.
(c) Prince Street.
(d) King Street.
12. In Chapter 16, Delmore asked Anatole to accompany him where to help him decide which new suit to buy?
(a) Bradley Brothers.
(b) Bartlett Brothers.
(c) Brandy Brothers.
(d) Brooks Brothers.
13. Whose apartment did Anatole stop by when no one was home in Chapter 12?
14. What did Anatole know at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) It was time to leave Sheri.
(b) There was a God.
(c) Who he was.
(d) Freud was right.
15. Although Anatole admired Delmore's intellectualism and love of the literary, it was almost as though his head was so wrapped up in books that he was unable to accept _____________.
(a) His true self.
(d) The raw data of reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pablito returned to the club in Spanish Harlem, where was he injured?
2. What did Anatole turn off after finding Sheri in the middle of the night in Chapter 10?
3. How did Sheri usually sleep with Anatole?
4. What was Maya Deren's birth name?
5. For Anatole, sex with Sheri never became what kind of experience?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)