|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visited Sheri and Anatole one night and explained that Anatole was completely wrong for Sheri and that he was the right man for her?
(a) Karen Horney.
(b) Dick Gilman.
(c) D.H. Lawrence.
(d) Friedrich Nietzsche.
2. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
(a) The Berlin School of criminal justice.
(b) The Stuttgart School of American studies.
(c) The Frankfurt School of critical theory.
(d) The Munich School of rhetorical theory.
3. Erich Fromm was known to criticize his students for not accepting what aspect of freedom?
4. Where was Kafka born?
5. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's mother?
(a) Wilma Henderson.
(b) Betsy Williams.
(c) Edna Miller.
(d) Josephine Mills.
6. What was Anatole's college known as because many of its professors had fled from Europe to escape Hitler and Nazism?
(a) Refugee University.
(b) Misplaced University.
(c) University in Exile.
(d) Institution of Transients.
7. What did Meyer Shapiro talk more often to than his students?
(b) The floor.
(c) His dog.
8. What had Anatole sold to the Japanese while serving with the military?
(d) G.I. long-johns.
9. How many siblings did Anatole Broyard have?
10. For how much had Anatole bought out a junk dealer in Chapter 4?
11. When was D.H. Lawrence born?
12. In what year did World War II end?
13. Where was Meyer Schapiro born?
14. What is the official name of the G.I. Bill?
(a) The Troops Pension Act.
(b) The General's Infantry Bill.
(c) The General's Initiative.
(d) Servicemen's Readjustment Act.
15. For what publication was Anatole a literary critic?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) The L.A. Times.
(d) The Miami Herald.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class did Meyer Schapiro teach at the New School?
2. To what neighborhood did Anatole Broyard move after he returned from the war?
3. What kind of store did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4?
4. When was Meyer Shapiro's book entitled Vincent van Gogh published?
5. Where was Anais Nin born?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)