|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Meyer Shapiro's book entitled Vincent van Gogh published?
2. Where did Anatole's parents live after he returned from the war?
(d) The Bronx.
3. When was Karen Horney born?
4. What profession did Anatole Broyard's father hold?
5. Erich Fromm was known to criticize his students for not accepting what aspect of freedom?
6. Who leased a room to Anatole Broyard after he returned from the war?
(a) Franz Donatti.
(b) Sheri Kafka.
(c) Sheri Donatti.
(d) Franz Kafka.
7. What did Sheri not approve of from Anatole?
8. What did Meyer Shapiro talk more often to than his students?
(a) His dog.
(d) The floor.
9. After learning of Sheri's medical condition, what did Anatole often do?
(a) Drove her to different hospitals.
(b) Carried her.
(c) Cooked her meals.
(d) Pushed her in a wheelchair.
10. What was Anatole unable to open in Chapter 5?
(a) A dresser.
(b) A door.
(c) A jar.
(d) A wine bottle.
11. What overwhelmed the kitchen in the apartment Anatole took after the war?
(a) A horse corral.
(b) A printing press.
(c) A whiskey still.
(d) A library.
12. What was Erich Fromm an opponent of, which he considered an apt description of the lives of most Americans?
(a) Corporate slavery.
13. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's father?
(a) Otto Anatole Broyard.
(b) Paul Anatole Broyard.
(c) Dick Anatole Broyard.
(d) Carl Anatole Broyard.
14. Books were the obsession of young men in Anatole's years much as __________ were to men of the sixties.
(a) Rock albums.
(b) Lava lamps.
(c) Sexual encounters.
15. It was speculation that Meyer Schapiro was not as much a fan of modern art as he was of _________.
(a) The freaks who enjoyed it.
(b) The debate that accompanied it.
(c) The archetecture of the museums and galleries.
(d) The colors that were typically used.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of his heritage did Anatole keep hidden?
2. What Spanish artist presented the argument that he was more appropriate for Sheri in Chapter 3?
3. For how much had Anatole bought out a junk dealer in Chapter 4?
4. Due to Sheri's medical condition, Anatole was often what in their lovemaking?
5. What kind of store did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)