|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Friedrich Nietzsche commented that the best thoughts came about while doing what activity?
2. What was Anatole unable to open in Chapter 5?
(a) A wine bottle.
(b) A dresser.
(c) A jar.
(d) A door.
3. In what year did Anatole Broyard complete his military service?
4. Karen Horney taught her students that neurotics were healthier than "normal" people because they __________.
(b) Imagined things.
5. Karen Horney was often classified as __________.
(b) A conservative.
(d) A liberal.
6. For what publication was Anatole a literary critic?
(a) The L.A. Times.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) The Miami Herald.
(d) The New York Times.
7. When was Friedrich Nietzsche born?
8. What school did Anatole attend after returning from World War II?
(a) Yale University.
(b) The New School for Social Research.
(c) The Old School for Social Reform.
(d) Cambridge University.
9. What term refers to the advance group in any field, especially in the visual, literary, or musical arts, whose works are characterized chiefly by unorthodox and experimental methods?
10. It unnerved Anatole that Sheri never wore ___________.
11. Why was Anatole late to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
(a) He forgot.
(b) He got lost in a good book.
(c) He hurt himself.
(d) He was making love to Sheri.
12. When was the G.I. Bill introduced?
13. Not much progress was realized in his sessions with the psychoanalyst because Anatole could never _________.
(a) Tell the truth.
(b) Listen to the psychoanalyst.
(c) Let down his defenses.
(d) Accept who he was.
14. What was Erich Fromm an opponent of, which he considered an apt description of the lives of most Americans?
(c) Corporate slavery.
15. Karen Horney became enraged when a student in her class asked her about ___________.
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) Oedipus complex.
(c) Penis envy.
(d) Pavlov's dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what neighborhood did Anatole Broyard move after he returned from the war?
2. What kind of store did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4?
3. What U.S. President signed in the G.I. Bill?
4. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, Anatole offered that although he'd been transfigured by love, it hadn't lived up to _________.
5. What psychoanalyst was recommended to Anatole in Chapter 7?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)