|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Meyer Schapiro's family emigrate to the United States?
2. Who leased a room to Anatole Broyard after he returned from the war?
(a) Franz Donatti.
(b) Franz Kafka.
(c) Sheri Kafka.
(d) Sheri Donatti.
3. What refers to a theory of mind and brain positing that the operational principle of the brain is holistic, parallel, and analog, with self-organizing tendencies?
(a) Psychological gestation.
(b) Basalt psychology.
(c) Kafka psychology.
(d) Gestalt psychology.
4. Not much progress was realized in his sessions with the psychoanalyst because Anatole could never _________.
(a) Accept who he was.
(b) Listen to the psychoanalyst.
(c) Let down his defenses.
(d) Tell the truth.
5. Where did Anatole's parents live after he returned from the war?
(d) The Bronx.
6. When was Friedrich Nietzsche born?
7. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
(a) The Frankfurt School of critical theory.
(b) The Berlin School of criminal justice.
(c) The Stuttgart School of American studies.
(d) The Munich School of rhetorical theory.
8. Books kept the lives of Anatole and his contemporaries from being totally overwhelmed by ___________.
(a) Rock and roll.
(c) The government.
9. Where was Friedrich Nietzsche born?
10. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, what did Anatole attempt to take back?
(a) His commment about being disappointed in love.
(b) His commment about being disappointed in religion.
(c) His commment about being amazed by religion.
(d) His commment about being amazed by love.
11. When was the forward of the book dated?
12. What is the official name of the G.I. Bill?
(a) The Troops Pension Act.
(b) The General's Initiative.
(c) Servicemen's Readjustment Act.
(d) The General's Infantry Bill.
13. It became apparent to Anatole in Chapter 3 that who had put the Spanish artist up to presenting his diatribe?
(a) Dick Gilman.
(b) Paul Anatole Broyard.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
14. What did Meyer Shapiro talk more often to than his students?
(a) His dog.
(b) The floor.
15. Who was quoted as saying, "A good book review is an act of seduction, and when he [Broyard] did it there was no one better"?
(a) John Leonard.
(b) Erich Fromm.
(c) Ernest Schachtel.
(d) Meyer Schapiro.
Short Answer Questions
1. On one occasion, Sheri and Anatole were so stimulated by Schapiro's lecture on whom that they ran to the roof of the school and made love in the dusky sundown?
2. What class did Meyer Schapiro teach at the New School?
3. In Chapter 3, a Spanish artist presented Anatole with the fact that he and Sheri were not _____________.
4. Why was Anatole late to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
5. What had Anatole sold to the Japanese while serving with the military?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)