|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Friedrich Nietzsche born?
2. For what publication was Anatole a literary critic?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The L.A. Times.
(c) The Miami Herald.
(d) The New York Times.
3. With whom had Anais Nin once lived with in France?
(a) Henry Miller.
(b) Erich Fromm.
(c) Otto Rank.
(d) Carl Jung.
4. Where was Anais Nin born?
5. When was Meyer Shapiro's book entitled Vincent van Gogh published?
6. When was the forward of the book dated?
7. Anais Nin studied psychoanalysis from whom?
(a) Otto Rank.
(b) Henry Miller.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
8. How old was Anatole Broyard when he finished serving in World War II?
9. Where did Anatole's parents live after he returned from the war?
(d) The Bronx.
10. What term refers to the advance group in any field, especially in the visual, literary, or musical arts, whose works are characterized chiefly by unorthodox and experimental methods?
11. Books were the obsession of young men in Anatole's years much as __________ were to men of the sixties.
(b) Sexual encounters.
(c) Lava lamps.
(d) Rock albums.
12. What was Meyer Schapiro's political association?
13. Where was Karen Horney born?
14. Who was quoted as saying, "A good book review is an act of seduction, and when he [Broyard] did it there was no one better"?
(a) Meyer Schapiro.
(b) Erich Fromm.
(c) Ernest Schachtel.
(d) John Leonard.
15. After the Spanish artist departed in Chapter 3, an angered Anatole refused Sheri's advances for how long?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 5 minutes.
(d) 14 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was speculation that Meyer Schapiro was not as much a fan of modern art as he was of _________.
2. What was Erich Fromm an opponent of, which he considered an apt description of the lives of most Americans?
3. Books kept the lives of Anatole and his contemporaries from being totally overwhelmed by ___________.
4. What did Anatole blurt out before leaving his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
5. In what year did Anatole purchase a store in Chapter 4?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)