|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It was speculation that Meyer Schapiro was not as much a fan of modern art as he was of _________.
(a) The debate that accompanied it.
(b) The archetecture of the museums and galleries.
(c) The freaks who enjoyed it.
(d) The colors that were typically used.
2. Why was Anatole late to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
(a) He got lost in a good book.
(b) He hurt himself.
(c) He forgot.
(d) He was making love to Sheri.
3. What medical condition did Sheri tell Anatole she had in Chapter 6?
(a) The plague.
(c) A bad heart.
4. Anais Nin was briefly a patient of what famed psychoanalyst?
(a) Erich Fromm.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) Alfred Binet.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
5. What was Anatole's college known as because many of its professors had fled from Europe to escape Hitler and Nazism?
(a) Institution of Transients.
(b) Misplaced University.
(c) Refugee University.
(d) University in Exile.
6. How did Anais Nin describe Anatole Broyard in her diary?
(a) Crude and boisterous.
(b) Handsome and sensual.
(c) Fun and intelligent.
(d) Sneaky and mysterious.
7. Where was the school located which Anatole attended after returning from World War II?
(a) West 12th Street.
(b) West 10th Street.
(c) East 12th Street.
(d) East 42nd Street.
8. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's mother?
(a) Wilma Henderson.
(b) Josephine Mills.
(c) Betsy Williams.
(d) Edna Miller.
9. What is the official name of the G.I. Bill?
(a) The General's Infantry Bill.
(b) The Troops Pension Act.
(c) The General's Initiative.
(d) Servicemen's Readjustment Act.
10. Books were the obsession of young men in Anatole's years much as __________ were to men of the sixties.
(a) Sexual encounters.
(b) Lava lamps.
(c) Rock albums.
11. When was D.H. Lawrence born?
12. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
(a) The Munich School of rhetorical theory.
(b) The Stuttgart School of American studies.
(c) The Berlin School of criminal justice.
(d) The Frankfurt School of critical theory.
13. Not much progress was realized in his sessions with the psychoanalyst because Anatole could never _________.
(a) Listen to the psychoanalyst.
(b) Let down his defenses.
(c) Tell the truth.
(d) Accept who he was.
14. What did Anatole study in order to become closer to Sheri?
(a) Existential literature.
(b) Abstract art.
(c) Classical poetry.
(d) American history.
15. When was Meyer Schapiro born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Kafka born?
2. For what publication was Anatole a literary critic?
3. What had Anatole sold to the Japanese while serving with the military?
4. What psychoanalyst was recommended to Anatole in Chapter 7?
5. Anatole shocked the Spanish artist in Chapter 3 by responding to him in what way?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)