|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was The Metamorphosis published?
2. How many sessions did Anatole have with the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7?
3. What aspect of his heritage did Anatole keep hidden?
(a) Russian ancestry.
(b) African American ancestry.
(c) American Indian ancestry.
(d) German ancestry.
4. When was Erich Fromm born?
5. Who recommended a psychoanalyst to Anatole in Chapter 7?
(a) Erich Fromm.
(b) Ernest Schachtel.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) John Leonard.
6. What refers to a theory of mind and brain positing that the operational principle of the brain is holistic, parallel, and analog, with self-organizing tendencies?
(a) Gestalt psychology.
(b) Kafka psychology.
(c) Basalt psychology.
(d) Psychological gestation.
7. Who was quoted as saying, "A good book review is an act of seduction, and when he [Broyard] did it there was no one better"?
(a) Erich Fromm.
(b) John Leonard.
(c) Ernest Schachtel.
(d) Meyer Schapiro.
8. Not much progress was realized in his sessions with the psychoanalyst because Anatole could never _________.
(a) Accept who he was.
(b) Let down his defenses.
(c) Listen to the psychoanalyst.
(d) Tell the truth.
9. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
(a) The Stuttgart School of American studies.
(b) The Munich School of rhetorical theory.
(c) The Berlin School of criminal justice.
(d) The Frankfurt School of critical theory.
10. What had Anatole sold to the Japanese while serving with the military?
(d) G.I. long-johns.
11. After the Spanish artist departed in Chapter 3, an angered Anatole refused Sheri's advances for how long?
(a) 14 hours.
(b) 5 minutes.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 1 week.
12. Who visited Sheri and Anatole one night and explained that Anatole was completely wrong for Sheri and that he was the right man for her?
(a) Friedrich Nietzsche.
(b) Karen Horney.
(c) D.H. Lawrence.
(d) Dick Gilman.
13. What school did Anatole attend after returning from World War II?
(a) The Old School for Social Reform.
(b) The New School for Social Research.
(c) Cambridge University.
(d) Yale University.
14. What U.S. President signed in the G.I. Bill?
(a) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(b) Herbert Hoover.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) Harry S. Truman.
15. What was Anatole unable to open in Chapter 5?
(a) A wine bottle.
(b) A jar.
(c) A door.
(d) A dresser.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the forward of the book dated?
2. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's father?
3. Karen Horney taught her students that neurotics were healthier than "normal" people because they __________.
4. Where was Anais Nin born?
5. It was speculation that Meyer Schapiro was not as much a fan of modern art as he was of _________.
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)