|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Anatole blurt out before leaving his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
(a) He was disappointed in religion.
(b) He was amazed by religion.
(c) He was amazed by love.
(d) He was disappointed in love.
2. Where was Kafka born?
3. When was Erich Fromm born?
4. What was Sheri's last name?
5. Who visited Sheri and Anatole one night and explained that Anatole was completely wrong for Sheri and that he was the right man for her?
(a) Dick Gilman.
(b) D.H. Lawrence.
(c) Friedrich Nietzsche.
(d) Karen Horney.
6. Why was Anatole late to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
(a) He forgot.
(b) He was making love to Sheri.
(c) He got lost in a good book.
(d) He hurt himself.
7. What overwhelmed the kitchen in the apartment Anatole took after the war?
(a) A printing press.
(b) A whiskey still.
(c) A horse corral.
(d) A library.
8. When was Karen Horney born?
9. How old was Anatole Broyard when he finished serving in World War II?
10. When was Anatole Broyard born?
11. What was Erich Fromm an opponent of, which he considered an apt description of the lives of most Americans?
(b) Corporate slavery.
12. Books were the obsession of young men in Anatole's years much as __________ were to men of the sixties.
(a) Lava lamps.
(c) Sexual encounters.
(d) Rock albums.
13. Who was quoted as saying, "A good book review is an act of seduction, and when he [Broyard] did it there was no one better"?
(a) John Leonard.
(b) Ernest Schachtel.
(c) Erich Fromm.
(d) Meyer Schapiro.
14. When was D.H. Lawrence born?
15. Anatole shocked the Spanish artist in Chapter 3 by responding to him in what way?
(a) In sign language.
(b) In Spanish.
(c) With silence.
(d) With slang terms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Friedrich Nietzsche born?
2. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, what did Anatole attempt to take back?
3. What kind of store did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4?
4. What U.S. President signed in the G.I. Bill?
5. It became apparent to Anatole in Chapter 3 that who had put the Spanish artist up to presenting his diatribe?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)