|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who recommended a psychoanalyst to Anatole in Chapter 7?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Erich Fromm.
(c) John Leonard.
(d) Ernest Schachtel.
2. When was Meyer Schapiro born?
3. What did Anatole study in order to become closer to Sheri?
(a) Abstract art.
(b) Existential literature.
(c) Classical poetry.
(d) American history.
4. Who was quoted as saying, "A good book review is an act of seduction, and when he [Broyard] did it there was no one better"?
(a) John Leonard.
(b) Meyer Schapiro.
(c) Ernest Schachtel.
(d) Erich Fromm.
5. When was Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir published?
6. When was the G.I. Bill introduced?
7. How many siblings did Anatole Broyard have?
8. Who leased a room to Anatole Broyard after he returned from the war?
(a) Sheri Kafka.
(b) Franz Donatti.
(c) Franz Kafka.
(d) Sheri Donatti.
9. When was D.H. Lawrence born?
10. How late was Anatole to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 5 minutes.
(d) 2 hours.
11. What was the name of Anatole Broyard's mother?
(a) Betsy Williams.
(b) Wilma Henderson.
(c) Josephine Mills.
(d) Edna Miller.
12. Anatole shocked the Spanish artist in Chapter 3 by responding to him in what way?
(a) With silence.
(b) In sign language.
(c) In Spanish.
(d) With slang terms.
13. Why was Anatole late to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
(a) He hurt himself.
(b) He got lost in a good book.
(c) He was making love to Sheri.
(d) He forgot.
14. What was Erich Fromm an opponent of, which he considered an apt description of the lives of most Americans?
(d) Corporate slavery.
15. Where was Kafka born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Anatole sold to the Japanese while serving with the military?
2. What kind of store did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4?
3. What did Meyer Shapiro talk more often to than his students?
4. For what publication was Anatole a literary critic?
5. What U.S. President signed in the G.I. Bill?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)