|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What U.S. President signed in the G.I. Bill?
(a) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Harry S. Truman.
(d) Herbert Hoover.
2. Friedrich Nietzsche commented that the best thoughts came about while doing what activity?
3. When was Erich Fromm born?
4. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, what did Anatole attempt to take back?
(a) His commment about being disappointed in religion.
(b) His commment about being disappointed in love.
(c) His commment about being amazed by religion.
(d) His commment about being amazed by love.
5. Erich Fromm was known to criticize his students for not accepting what aspect of freedom?
6. Where did the psychoanalyst who was recommended to Anatole in Chapter 7 teach?
(a) New York University.
(b) The New School of Social Research.
(c) Columbia University.
(d) The White School.
7. What was Anatole's college known as because many of its professors had fled from Europe to escape Hitler and Nazism?
(a) Misplaced University.
(b) Refugee University.
(c) Institution of Transients.
(d) University in Exile.
8. When was Karen Horney born?
9. Why was Anatole late to his second psychoanalyst visit in Chapter 7?
(a) He got lost in a good book.
(b) He forgot.
(c) He was making love to Sheri.
(d) He hurt himself.
10. How many siblings did Anatole Broyard have?
11. Where did Anatole's parents live after he returned from the war?
(c) The Bronx.
12. What kind of store did Anatole purchase in Chapter 4?
(a) Clothing store.
(c) Shoe store.
(d) Grocery store.
13. Books were the obsession of young men in Anatole's years much as __________ were to men of the sixties.
(a) Lava lamps.
(b) Rock albums.
(d) Sexual encounters.
14. Where was Anais Nin born?
15. Sheri sparked Anatole's interest in what subject, despite his feeling of being alienated by it?
(b) Modern art.
(d) Greek history.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, a Spanish artist presented Anatole with the fact that he and Sheri were not _____________.
2. What Spanish artist presented the argument that he was more appropriate for Sheri in Chapter 3?
3. When was Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir published?
4. Anais Nin was briefly a patient of what famed psychoanalyst?
5. It unnerved Anatole that Sheri never wore ___________.
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)