|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Anatole's college known as because many of its professors had fled from Europe to escape Hitler and Nazism?
(a) Misplaced University.
(b) Institution of Transients.
(c) Refugee University.
(d) University in Exile.
2. When was Anais Nin born?
3. Erich Fromm was associated with what school of thought?
(a) The Frankfurt School of critical theory.
(b) The Stuttgart School of American studies.
(c) The Berlin School of criminal justice.
(d) The Munich School of rhetorical theory.
4. What profession did Anatole Broyard's father hold?
5. What was Erich Fromm an opponent of, which he considered an apt description of the lives of most Americans?
(c) Corporate slavery.
6. On his third visit to the psychoanalyst in Chapter 7, Anatole offered that although he'd been transfigured by love, it hadn't lived up to _________.
(a) It's promises.
(b) It's abilities.
(c) It's potential.
(d) It's publicity.
7. What overwhelmed the kitchen in the apartment Anatole took after the war?
(a) A library.
(b) A horse corral.
(c) A whiskey still.
(d) A printing press.
8. How old was Anatole Broyard when he finished serving in World War II?
9. When was Karen Horney born?
10. When was Meyer Schapiro born?
11. Where did Anatole's parents live after he returned from the war?
(a) The Bronx.
12. What was Anatole unable to open in Chapter 5?
(a) A dresser.
(b) A jar.
(c) A door.
(d) A wine bottle.
13. Not much progress was realized in his sessions with the psychoanalyst because Anatole could never _________.
(a) Let down his defenses.
(b) Tell the truth.
(c) Accept who he was.
(d) Listen to the psychoanalyst.
14. Sheri sparked Anatole's interest in what subject, despite his feeling of being alienated by it?
(b) Greek history.
(c) Modern art.
15. When was D.H. Lawrence born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Meyer Shapiro talk more often to than his students?
2. Books were the obsession of young men in Anatole's years much as __________ were to men of the sixties.
3. After learning of Sheri's medical condition, what did Anatole often do?
4. What U.S. President signed in the G.I. Bill?
5. When was Erich Fromm born?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)