• Anatole Broyard, twenty-six, just returned from World War II in 1946; the country had won a war and everything was new and promising.
• Anatole met Sheri Donatti who lived in an apartment in Greenwich Village and leased a second apartment in her building.
• Sheri was beautiful but not in a conventional way. Her pale blue eyes were luminescent against her pale skin and long dark hair.
• Sheri's own apartment consisted of three rooms, one of which was her art studio.
• Sheri offered no explanation for the state of the apartment that she had for rent but Anatole was so anxious to live in the Village that he agreed to take it.
• When Anatole moved in, Sheri made room for his clothes in her closet. Only then was it clear that he would be living with her.
• Anatole loved the avant-garde neighborhood in which he found himself.
• Anatole was...
This section contains 1,699 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)