|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What film does Kafka watch upon arriving at the desolate village?
2. Which of the following characters accidentally admits to being from the same area where Kafka's father was murdered?
3. What does Mrs. Saeki claim defines Kafka even though he is very young?
4. Whose home does the cabin in the desolate village remind Kafka of?
5. Which of the following groups of people disappeared in the woods near Oshima's cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Saeki react when Kafka confronts her about the possibility that she is his mother?
2. Who is Colonel Sanders?
3. Why does Oshima wake Kafka in the middle of the night with a frantic phone call?
4. How does Kafka react when he is approached by the Japanese soldiers in Oshima's woods?
5. How do Nakata and Hoshino know that the entrance stone is working?
6. Why does Colonel Sanders bring Hoshino to the religious shrine?
7. How does evil try to escape Limbo?
8. What book did Mrs.Saeki write after collecting interviews?
9. Why did Mrs. Saeki first open the entrance stone?
10. What happens when Crow encounters Johnny Walker in the enchanted woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Prologue to this novel, Kafka warns his friend, Crow, that "Fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions." What did Kafka mean when he gave his friend this warning? Explain this quote and give at least two examples from the text that exemplify this theory.
Essay Topic 2
As a boy, Tamura decides that he would like to change his name to Kafka. First, describe how Tamura chose this name for himself. Then, compare / contrast the character of Kafka from the novel with the man whose name he borrowed, Franz Kafka. What is the same about these men? What is different? Finally, explain whether or not you think Kafka is an appropriate name for the protagonist of this novel, and why.
Essay Topic 3
While at the cabin, Oshima gives Kafka an ominous warning about the soldiers who visited these woods during the war. According to history, what happened to these soldiers when they were in Oshima's woods? What is Oshima worried will happen to Kafka if he ventures too far away from the cabin?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)