Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weather storms into the city after Hoshino steals the entrance stone?
2. Why does Kafka think his mother abandoned him?
3. Who does Hoshino wait to hear from before closing the entrance stone?
4. Who tells Hoshino that he is "a spirit - neither god not Buddha"?
5. Which war does Oshima have a fantasy of fighting in?
Essay Topic 1
Nakata, like Kafka, is a man haunted by his past. First, describe the event that altered Nakata's life forever. Then, explain how this disastrous event affected Nakata's life into adulthood. What ailments continued to plague Nakata long after the event occurred?
Essay Topic 2
As a boy, Tamura decides that he would like to change his name to Kafka. First, describe how Tamura chose this name for himself. Then, compare / contrast the character of Kafka from the novel with the man whose name he borrowed, Franz Kafka. What is the same about these men? What is different? Finally, explain whether or not you think Kafka is an appropriate name for the protagonist of this novel, and why.
Essay Topic 3
When the entrance stone is turned, it draws together two wandering souls - Mrs. Saeki and Nakata. First, describe the lives Mrs. Saeki and Nakata had been living before the stone was turned. Then, explain how Mrs. Saeki and Nakata complete each other, and what the effects of their final meeting were.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)