|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nakata decide is the location where the portal from the entrance stone has been opened?
2. Where does Hoshino promise to take Nakata when things blow over with the police?
3. Who was Mrs. Saeki trying to save when she opened the entrance stone?
4. How does Nakata feel after the entrance stone is flipped?
5. What is the name of Oshima's only brother?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the text, Oshima is a wealth of literary knowledge. Choose at least two literary works that Oshima discusses, and explain what he teaches Kafka about each work. Then, explain what Oshima means when he says that "there is such a thing as metaphor in the corporeal world." How does this statement apply to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Nakata, like Kafka, is a man haunted by his past. First, describe the event that altered Nakata's life forever. Then, explain how this disastrous event affected Nakata's life into adulthood. What ailments continued to plague Nakata long after the event occurred?
Essay Topic 3
When Kafka is still a young child, he decides to run away from home. First, explain the circumstances leading up to Kafka's decision to leave home. Then, describe the items Kafka took with him during his escape and the process through which he chose these items. Finally, describe at least two characters that helped Kafka during the initial days of his plan.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)