|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Hoshino does to pass the time while Nakata sleeps?
2. Whose spirit does Mrs. Saeki think is living inside Kafka's body?
3. Who is the director of the films that Hoshino watches back to back?
4. What does Colonel Sanders do for a living?
5. What relationship does Kafka think he has with Mrs. Saeki?
Essay Topic 1
In the Prologue to this novel, Kafka warns his friend, Crow, that "Fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions." What did Kafka mean when he gave his friend this warning? Explain this quote and give at least two examples from the text that exemplify this theory.
Essay Topic 2
Through the use of the entrance stone, Nakata realizes that humans can fully interact with the spirit world. First, explain how Nakata got his hands on the entrance stone. Then, explain how Nakata figured out how to use the entrance stone. Finally, explain what Nakata learned about himself through the use of the entrance stone.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the repercussions of sleepwalking affect the characters. Choose at least two scenes in which a character commits a devious act while sleeping and compare / contrast the effects this action has on the character's life. Then, explain how the subconscious of the characters responds to the deepest desires of that character's soul.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)