|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is asked to kill evil before it can escape through the entrance stone?
2. How does Johnny Walker react when someone tries to kill him in the woods?
3. Which of the following characters lies about seeing Kafka in order to protect him from the searching police?
4. How does the entrance stone change before it opens?
5. What is the name of the philosopher that the prostitute recites, that Hoshino meets?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kafka react when he is approached by the Japanese soldiers in Oshima's woods?
2. How does Mrs. Saeki respond when Nakata bursts into her office demanding to talk about the entrance stone?
3. While wandering through the woods, what disturbing dream does Kafka have about Sakura?
4. How does Mrs. Saeki react when Kafka confronts her about the possibility that she is his mother?
5. How does Mrs. Saeki convince Kafka to leave the world of the deserted village and go back where he belongs?
6. Why does Oshima wake Kafka in the middle of the night with a frantic phone call?
7. How does Hoshino care for Nakata after he dies?
8. What is the origin of Kafka's name?
9. What happened to the two soldiers that went for a walk in the woods surrounding Oshima's cabin?
10. What arrangements does Colonel Sanders make for Nakata and Hoshino while the police are on their manhunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While in the library one day, Oshima makes a startling confession about his sexuality. First, explain the truth behind Oshima's sexuality as he described it to Kafka. Then, explain how Oshima's confession affected the gender roles presented in the novel thus far.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny Walker is a malevolent character who seeks entrance to the afterlife. First, describe the character of Johnny Walker and the way that he meets Nakata. Then, explain the way that Johnny Walker has been living and through what means he steals the souls of living creatures. Finally, explain why Nakata was given no choice but to kill Johnny Walker.
Essay Topic 3
While at the cabin, Oshima gives Kafka an ominous warning about the soldiers who visited these woods during the war. According to history, what happened to these soldiers when they were in Oshima's woods? What is Oshima worried will happen to Kafka if he ventures too far away from the cabin?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)