|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weather storms into the city after Hoshino steals the entrance stone?
2. Why does Kafka think his mother abandoned him?
3. Who does Hoshino wait to hear from before closing the entrance stone?
4. Who tells Hoshino that he is "a spirit - neither god not Buddha"?
5. Which war does Oshima have a fantasy of fighting in?
Essay Topic 1
The woods surrounding Oshima's cabin are a place of great wonder to Kafka. First, explain Kafka's initial reaction to the woods and explain how his opinion of this place changed throughout the course of the novel. Then, give at least two examples of lessons Kafka learned about nature due to the time he spent in Oshima's woods.
Essay Topic 2
When Kafka is homeless, he lives many places. Choose two of the places Kafka lives after leaving his home and compare / contrast the settings. Then, explain what Kafka learns about himself directly through his experiences in these varied settings.
Essay Topic 3
As a boy, Tamura decides that he would like to change his name to Kafka. First, describe how Tamura chose this name for himself. Then, compare / contrast the character of Kafka from the novel with the man whose name he borrowed, Franz Kafka. What is the same about these men? What is different? Finally, explain whether or not you think Kafka is an appropriate name for the protagonist of this novel, and why.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)