|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the spirit really belong to that visits Kafka?
2. Which of the following characters encounters Johnny Walker while walking through the woods?
3. Where does Hoshino promise to take Nakata when things blow over with the police?
4. Who does Mrs. Saeki think is the boy from the painting in the library?
5. Which character reminds Kafka that "love is accompanied by sadness"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kafka react when he is approached by the Japanese soldiers in Oshima's woods?
2. How does Mrs. Saeki respond when Nakata bursts into her office demanding to talk about the entrance stone?
3. How does Kafka react to the desolate village that the Japanese soldiers guide him to?
4. Why did Mrs. Saeki first open the entrance stone?
5. While wandering through the woods, what disturbing dream does Kafka have about Sakura?
6. How does Mrs. Saeki react when Kafka confronts her about the possibility that she is his mother?
7. Why does Colonel Sanders bring Hoshino to the religious shrine?
8. What does Mrs. Saeki ask Nakata to do with her memoirs?
9. How does Colonel Sanders explain his physical form to Hoshino?
10. What happens with Mrs. Saeki sleepwalks into Kafka's bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Prologue to this novel, Kafka warns his friend, Crow, that "Fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions." What did Kafka mean when he gave his friend this warning? Explain this quote and give at least two examples from the text that exemplify this theory.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the repercussions of sleepwalking affect the characters. Choose at least two scenes in which a character commits a devious act while sleeping and compare / contrast the effects this action has on the character's life. Then, explain how the subconscious of the characters responds to the deepest desires of that character's soul.
Essay Topic 3
When Kafka is still a young child, he decides to run away from home. First, explain the circumstances leading up to Kafka's decision to leave home. Then, describe the items Kafka took with him during his escape and the process through which he chose these items. Finally, describe at least two characters that helped Kafka during the initial days of his plan.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)