|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Kafka's father when he was struck by lightning?
2. What weather storms into the city after Hoshino steals the entrance stone?
3. Which of the following spirits frequents Kafka's bedroom while he is sleeping?
4. What beverage does Kafka bring to Mrs. Saeki every day at the same time?
5. Who does Mrs. Saeki think is the boy from the painting in the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny Walker is a malevolent character who seeks entrance to the afterlife. First, describe the character of Johnny Walker and the way that he meets Nakata. Then, explain the way that Johnny Walker has been living and through what means he steals the souls of living creatures. Finally, explain why Nakata was given no choice but to kill Johnny Walker.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Saeki's song proves to be the thread that unifies all of the story lines in this novel. Choose at least two key elements of Mrs. Saeki's song and explain how these elements tie the story lines of Nakata and Kafka together. Then, explain whether or not you believe Mrs. Saeki's song is significant enough to warrant the title of this novel, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there is great mystery surrounding who killed Japan's most famous sculptor. First, describe how the murder occurs, and who the two main suspects are. Then, explain how Murakami uses this murder with two other major events in the novel - Johnny Walker's murder and Kafka waking up covered in blood. How do these connections add to the suspense of the novel as a whole?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)