|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Nakata's relatives lost all of his money to loan sharks, leaving Nakata destitute?
2. What does Nakata claim is the only joy in his life?
3. What does Sakura do for a living?
4. What does Kafka claim to be in order to get a discounted rate at his hotel?
5. How does the police officer react when Nakata admits to Johnny Walker's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Adolf Eichmann, and what note did Oshima scribble in the margins of his book?
2. What advice does Crow give to Kafka before they run away together?
3. What complaints do the two serious women make about the library where Oshima and Kafka work?
4. What does Kafka steal from his father before he runs away from home?
5. What note does Sakura leave for Kafka when she leaves for work in the morning?
6. What confession does Oshima make when the stern women accuse him of being misogynistic?
7. What does the elementary school teacher admit is the truth of what happened to Nakata in the woods?
8. What happened to all of Nakata's money after he lost his job?
9. How does Kafka react when Sakura begins telling him about her boyfriend, who lives in Tokyo?
10. Who is Sakura?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Prologue to this novel, Kafka warns his friend, Crow, that "Fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions." What did Kafka mean when he gave his friend this warning? Explain this quote and give at least two examples from the text that exemplify this theory.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Saeki's song proves to be the thread that unifies all of the story lines in this novel. Choose at least two key elements of Mrs. Saeki's song and explain how these elements tie the story lines of Nakata and Kafka together. Then, explain whether or not you believe Mrs. Saeki's song is significant enough to warrant the title of this novel, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Through the use of the entrance stone, Nakata realizes that humans can fully interact with the spirit world. First, explain how Nakata got his hands on the entrance stone. Then, explain how Nakata figured out how to use the entrance stone. Finally, explain what Nakata learned about himself through the use of the entrance stone.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)