|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following facts is NOT true about Oshima's cabin in the woods?
2. Who prophesies that fish will fall from the sky?
3. What is the name of the city that Kafka runs away to?
4. Which part of the paralyzed cats' bodies does Johnny Walker eat while Nakata looks on, horrified?
5. Where does Johnny Walker keep the severed heads of the cats he has sacrificed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Crow give to Kafka before they run away together?
2. What confession does Oshima make when the stern women accuse him of being misogynistic?
3. How does Kafka react when Sakura begins telling him about her boyfriend, who lives in Tokyo?
4. What information does Kafka provide to Sakura about his sister?
5. How does Kafka react to the presence of the young woman's spirit in his bedroom?
6. What trade did Nakata learn when he was in elementary school?
7. What happens when Kafka wakes from a blackout at a religious shrine?
8. What does Hoshino do during the time that Nakata sleeps at their hotel?
9. What does the elementary school teacher admit is the truth of what happened to Nakata in the woods?
10. What happened to all of Nakata's money after he lost his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the entrance stone is turned, it draws together two wandering souls - Mrs. Saeki and Nakata. First, describe the lives Mrs. Saeki and Nakata had been living before the stone was turned. Then, explain how Mrs. Saeki and Nakata complete each other, and what the effects of their final meeting were.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, there is great mystery surrounding who killed Japan's most famous sculptor. First, describe how the murder occurs, and who the two main suspects are. Then, explain how Murakami uses this murder with two other major events in the novel - Johnny Walker's murder and Kafka waking up covered in blood. How do these connections add to the suspense of the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
There are many talking animals in this novel. First, create a list of animal characters and explain their role within the novel. Then, discuss your reaction to the presence of talking animals in an adult novel. Was their integration into the storyline successful? Why or why not? How does their presence make this novel fit into the genre of magical realism?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)