|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the teacher was beating a child in the woods, what emotion does she claim overtook her?
2. What does Johnny Walker claim to be building from the souls of dead cats?
3. Who does Nakata ask for help in purchasing a train ticket?
4. Even though he is mentally challenged, what is Nakata extremely adept at finding?
5. Which of the following animals promises to lead Nakata to Goma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hoshino do during the time that Nakata sleeps at their hotel?
2. In what situation is it possible for a body and soul to become separated without the body dying?
3. How does Johnny Walker entice Nakata to kill him?
4. What conclusion did Doctor Nakazawa reach after testing the sixteen school children found unconscious in the woods?
5. What regimen does Kafka adopt and exercise everyday that he is away from home?
6. In what state does Oshima find Kafka when he returns to the cabin to bring Kafka home?
7. What does Johnny Walker keep stored in his walk-in freezer?
8. What unusual prophecy does Nakata make before leaving the police station?
9. What strange proposition does Johnny Walker make to Nakata?
10. What note does Sakura leave for Kafka when she leaves for work in the morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While in the library one day, Oshima makes a startling confession about his sexuality. First, explain the truth behind Oshima's sexuality as he described it to Kafka. Then, explain how Oshima's confession affected the gender roles presented in the novel thus far.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Saeki's song proves to be the thread that unifies all of the story lines in this novel. Choose at least two key elements of Mrs. Saeki's song and explain how these elements tie the story lines of Nakata and Kafka together. Then, explain whether or not you believe Mrs. Saeki's song is significant enough to warrant the title of this novel, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Through the use of the entrance stone, Nakata realizes that humans can fully interact with the spirit world. First, explain how Nakata got his hands on the entrance stone. Then, explain how Nakata figured out how to use the entrance stone. Finally, explain what Nakata learned about himself through the use of the entrance stone.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)