|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kafka first meets Sakura, what does he wonder about her?
2. Who prophesies that fish will fall from the sky?
3. Where does Johnny Walker keep the severed heads of the cats he has sacrificed?
4. When Sakura leaves for work in the morning, what does the note that she leaves for Kafka say?
5. Who wrote the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nakata react to Johnny Walker's request to kill him?
2. What warning does Oshima give to Kafka before dropping him off at the cabin in the woods?
3. What happened to all of Nakata's money after he lost his job?
4. What information does Kafka provide to Sakura about his sister?
5. What realization does the white cat, Otsuka, make about Nakata?
6. How does Kafka negotiate a cheaper rate at the hotel where he is staying?
7. What does Hoshino do during the time that Nakata sleeps at their hotel?
8. What hypothesis does Doctor Shigenori Tsukayama make about what happened to the school children in the woods?
9. What conclusion did Doctor Nakazawa reach after testing the sixteen school children found unconscious in the woods?
10. What does Kafka steal from his father before he runs away from home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the use of the entrance stone, Nakata realizes that humans can fully interact with the spirit world. First, explain how Nakata got his hands on the entrance stone. Then, explain how Nakata figured out how to use the entrance stone. Finally, explain what Nakata learned about himself through the use of the entrance stone.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Oshima states that "imagination is a powerful force". First, explain what Oshima means by this statement. Then, explain how imagination leaves Kafka feeling emotionally responsible for two terrible events that occur, even though he is not physically responsible for them.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the repercussions of sleepwalking affect the characters. Choose at least two scenes in which a character commits a devious act while sleeping and compare / contrast the effects this action has on the character's life. Then, explain how the subconscious of the characters responds to the deepest desires of that character's soul.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)