|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Natsume Soseki do for a living?
2. What is the name of the city that Nakata is trying to reach by hitchhiking?
3. Which of the following activities is NOT a part of Kafka's daily routine?
4. How long is the first bus ride on the day that Kafka runs away from home?
5. In what year did the elementary school teacher admit to lying to authorities about what happened in the woods that day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Adolf Eichmann, and what note did Oshima scribble in the margins of his book?
2. What unusual prophecy does Nakata make before leaving the police station?
3. What does the elementary school teacher admit is the truth of what happened to Nakata in the woods?
4. How does Crow react to Kafka's fear when he is alone in the cabin in the woods?
5. What happened to the man that Mrs. Saeki fell in love with as a teenager?
6. What does Kafka steal from his father before he runs away from home?
7. How does Kafka react to the presence of the young woman's spirit in his bedroom?
8. What strange proposition does Johnny Walker make to Nakata?
9. What complaints do the two serious women make about the library where Oshima and Kafka work?
10. What does Hoshino do during the time that Nakata sleeps at their hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the repercussions of sleepwalking affect the characters. Choose at least two scenes in which a character commits a devious act while sleeping and compare / contrast the effects this action has on the character's life. Then, explain how the subconscious of the characters responds to the deepest desires of that character's soul.
Essay Topic 2
The face of evil took many different forms in this novel - Johnny Walker, Colonel Sanders, and the white salamander. First, describe how each of these creatures embodied the force of evil. Then, explain why each of these beings was so intent on opening the entrance stone.
Essay Topic 3
There are many talking animals in this novel. First, create a list of animal characters and explain their role within the novel. Then, discuss your reaction to the presence of talking animals in an adult novel. Was their integration into the storyline successful? Why or why not? How does their presence make this novel fit into the genre of magical realism?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)