|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cats does Johnny Walker kill before Nakata intervenes?
2. Which of the following short stories by Franz Kafka does Kafka discuss with Oshima?
3. Which of the following characters suggests that Nakata finds the other half of his soul?
4. When Kafka first meets Sakura, what does he wonder about her?
5. What is the name of the city that Kafka runs away to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kafka negotiate a cheaper rate at the hotel where he is staying?
2. Who is Sakura?
3. In what state does Oshima find Kafka when he returns to the cabin to bring Kafka home?
4. How does the police officer on duty react to Nakata's confession of stabbing a man to death?
5. What complaints do the two serious women make about the library where Oshima and Kafka work?
6. What does the elementary school teacher admit is the truth of what happened to Nakata in the woods?
7. Who is Adolf Eichmann, and what note did Oshima scribble in the margins of his book?
8. What advice does Crow give to Kafka before they run away together?
9. What realization does the white cat, Otsuka, make about Nakata?
10. What confession does Oshima make when the stern women accuse him of being misogynistic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a boy, Tamura decides that he would like to change his name to Kafka. First, describe how Tamura chose this name for himself. Then, compare / contrast the character of Kafka from the novel with the man whose name he borrowed, Franz Kafka. What is the same about these men? What is different? Finally, explain whether or not you think Kafka is an appropriate name for the protagonist of this novel, and why.
Essay Topic 2
When Kafka is still a young child, he decides to run away from home. First, explain the circumstances leading up to Kafka's decision to leave home. Then, describe the items Kafka took with him during his escape and the process through which he chose these items. Finally, describe at least two characters that helped Kafka during the initial days of his plan.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the text, Oshima is a wealth of literary knowledge. Choose at least two literary works that Oshima discusses, and explain what he teaches Kafka about each work. Then, explain what Oshima means when he says that "there is such a thing as metaphor in the corporeal world." How does this statement apply to the novel as a whole?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)