|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fish falls from the sky, exactly as prophesied?
2. Which of the following facts is NOT true about Nakata?
3. What request does Johnny Walker make of Nakata?
4. Which of the following facts is NOT true about Oshima's cabin in the woods?
5. What party does the political trucker align himself with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Kafka wakes from a blackout at a religious shrine?
2. What regimen does Kafka adopt and exercise everyday that he is away from home?
3. What information does Kafka provide to Sakura about his sister?
4. What happened to all of Nakata's money after he lost his job?
5. How does Nakata react to Johnny Walker's request to kill him?
6. What does Kafka steal from his father before he runs away from home?
7. How does the police officer on duty react to Nakata's confession of stabbing a man to death?
8. Who is Adolf Eichmann, and what note did Oshima scribble in the margins of his book?
9. What note does Sakura leave for Kafka when she leaves for work in the morning?
10. How does Kafka react when Sakura begins telling him about her boyfriend, who lives in Tokyo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Saeki's song proves to be the thread that unifies all of the story lines in this novel. Choose at least two key elements of Mrs. Saeki's song and explain how these elements tie the story lines of Nakata and Kafka together. Then, explain whether or not you believe Mrs. Saeki's song is significant enough to warrant the title of this novel, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the repercussions of sleepwalking affect the characters. Choose at least two scenes in which a character commits a devious act while sleeping and compare / contrast the effects this action has on the character's life. Then, explain how the subconscious of the characters responds to the deepest desires of that character's soul.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there is great mystery surrounding who killed Japan's most famous sculptor. First, describe how the murder occurs, and who the two main suspects are. Then, explain how Murakami uses this murder with two other major events in the novel - Johnny Walker's murder and Kafka waking up covered in blood. How do these connections add to the suspense of the novel as a whole?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)