Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sakura's boyfriend live?
2. What type of fish falls from the sky, exactly as prophesied?
3. What complaint do the two stern women make about the staff at the public library?
4. Which of the following short stories by Franz Kafka does Kafka discuss with Oshima?
5. When Kafka wakes up in the middle of a blackout, where has he sleepwalked to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Colonel Sanders explain his physical form to Hoshino?
2. How does Johnny Walker entice Nakata to kill him?
3. What regimen does Kafka adopt and exercise everyday that he is away from home?
4. What arrangements does Colonel Sanders make for Nakata and Hoshino while the police are on their manhunt?
5. Why did Mrs. Saeki first open the entrance stone?
6. What does Hoshino do during the time that Nakata sleeps at their hotel?
7. What happens when Kafka wakes from a blackout at a religious shrine?
8. What does Mrs. Saeki ask Nakata to do with her memoirs?
9. How does the police officer on duty react to Nakata's confession of stabbing a man to death?
10. What happens with Mrs. Saeki sleepwalks into Kafka's bedroom?
There are many talking animals in this novel. First, create a list of animal characters and explain their role within the novel. Then, discuss your reaction to the presence of talking animals in an adult novel. Was their integration into the storyline successful? Why or why not? How does their presence make this novel fit into the genre of magical realism?
Throughout the novel, Oshima states that "imagination is a powerful force". First, explain what Oshima means by this statement. Then, explain how imagination leaves Kafka feeling emotionally responsible for two terrible events that occur, even though he is not physically responsible for them.
Nakata, like Kafka, is a man haunted by his past. First, describe the event that altered Nakata's life forever. Then, explain how this disastrous event affected Nakata's life into adulthood. What ailments continued to plague Nakata long after the event occurred?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)