|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what year did the children pass out in the woods?
2. When Kafka wakes up in the middle of a blackout, where has he sleepwalked to?
3. How did the doctors transport the unconscious children away from the site where they fell?
4. In which of the following establishments did Nakata invest all of his money?
5. While sleeping at Oshima's cottage in the woods, where does Kafka sleep at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the elementary school teacher admit is the truth of what happened to Nakata in the woods?
2. What conclusion did Doctor Nakazawa reach after testing the sixteen school children found unconscious in the woods?
3. In what situation is it possible for a body and soul to become separated without the body dying?
4. How does Kafka spend his first day of freedom in the city?
5. What strange proposition does Johnny Walker make to Nakata?
6. What advice does Crow give to Kafka before they run away together?
7. How does Kafka negotiate a cheaper rate at the hotel where he is staying?
8. What happened to the man that Mrs. Saeki fell in love with as a teenager?
9. What happened to all of Nakata's money after he lost his job?
10. What unusual prophecy does Nakata make before leaving the police station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Oshima states that "imagination is a powerful force". First, explain what Oshima means by this statement. Then, explain how imagination leaves Kafka feeling emotionally responsible for two terrible events that occur, even though he is not physically responsible for them.
Essay Topic 2
Both Kafka and Nakata are inexplicably drawn to Southern Japan in search of healing. First, describe the circumstances that draws each man away from his home. Then, compare / contrast the relief each man finds upon finally reaching his destination.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny Walker is a malevolent character who seeks entrance to the afterlife. First, describe the character of Johnny Walker and the way that he meets Nakata. Then, explain the way that Johnny Walker has been living and through what means he steals the souls of living creatures. Finally, explain why Nakata was given no choice but to kill Johnny Walker.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)