|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Nakata murders Johnny Walker, what changes about him?
2. How did the doctors transport the unconscious children away from the site where they fell?
3. What did the elementary school teacher bring the children into the woods to pick on the day they passed out?
4. How long is the first bus ride on the day that Kafka runs away from home?
5. Which of the following statements best describes Kafka's physicality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual prophecy does Nakata make before leaving the police station?
2. What regimen does Kafka adopt and exercise everyday that he is away from home?
3. What warning does Oshima give to Kafka before dropping him off at the cabin in the woods?
4. What does Kafka steal from his father before he runs away from home?
5. Who is Sakura?
6. What happened to the elementary school teacher and her class in November, 1944?
7. What conclusion did Doctor Nakazawa reach after testing the sixteen school children found unconscious in the woods?
8. What is Goma?
9. What complaints do the two serious women make about the library where Oshima and Kafka work?
10. What does the elementary school teacher admit is the truth of what happened to Nakata in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Kafka was a young boy, his father made two prophecies about him. First, explain what the two prophecies were and what Kafka's reactions were to the prophecies. Then, explain whether or not these prophecies came true, and what the reader learned about Kafka through this process.
Essay Topic 2
Through the use of the entrance stone, Nakata realizes that humans can fully interact with the spirit world. First, explain how Nakata got his hands on the entrance stone. Then, explain how Nakata figured out how to use the entrance stone. Finally, explain what Nakata learned about himself through the use of the entrance stone.
Essay Topic 3
While at the cabin, Oshima gives Kafka an ominous warning about the soldiers who visited these woods during the war. According to history, what happened to these soldiers when they were in Oshima's woods? What is Oshima worried will happen to Kafka if he ventures too far away from the cabin?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)