|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Oshima found a job for Kafka?
2. How old was Sakura when she ran away from home?
3. When Kafka first meets Sakura, what does he wonder about her?
4. Where are women authors shelved in the public library?
5. What type of fish falls from the sky, exactly as prophesied?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does the white cat, Otsuka, make about Nakata?
2. What confession does Oshima make when the stern women accuse him of being misogynistic?
3. How does Nakata react to Johnny Walker's request to kill him?
4. What trade did Nakata learn when he was in elementary school?
5. Who is Sakura?
6. How does Kafka spend his first day of freedom in the city?
7. What are the themes of the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
8. What does Kafka steal from his father before he runs away from home?
9. What does Johnny Walker keep stored in his walk-in freezer?
10. What hypothesis does Doctor Shigenori Tsukayama make about what happened to the school children in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the repercussions of sleepwalking affect the characters. Choose at least two scenes in which a character commits a devious act while sleeping and compare / contrast the effects this action has on the character's life. Then, explain how the subconscious of the characters responds to the deepest desires of that character's soul.
Essay Topic 2
Nakata, like Kafka, is a man haunted by his past. First, describe the event that altered Nakata's life forever. Then, explain how this disastrous event affected Nakata's life into adulthood. What ailments continued to plague Nakata long after the event occurred?
Essay Topic 3
While at the cabin, Oshima gives Kafka an ominous warning about the soldiers who visited these woods during the war. According to history, what happened to these soldiers when they were in Oshima's woods? What is Oshima worried will happen to Kafka if he ventures too far away from the cabin?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)