|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following images is the subject of a painting hanging in Kafka's bedroom at the library?
(a) A girl eating ice cream.
(b) A boy at the beach.
(c) A basket of fruit.
(d) Two kittens with a ball of yarn.
2. Why does Kafka think his mother abandoned him?
(a) Because she was afraid of loving him.
(b) Because she hated him.
(c) Because his father demanded it.
(d) Because she was not his real mother.
3. Whose spirit does Mrs. Saeki think is living inside Kafka's body?
(a) Kafka's father's.
(b) Franz Kafka's.
(c) She thinks Kafka has an empty soul.
(d) Her dead lover's.
4. Which of the following characters encounters Johnny Walker while walking through the woods?
5. Which of the following items is NOT a theme in the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
(a) The Sphynx.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who closes the entrance stone?
2. Which of the following spirits frequents Kafka's bedroom while he is sleeping?
3. After Nakata dies, who inherits his ability to understand animals?
4. On what day do Nakata and Hoshino arrive at the library?
5. What is the only situation in which a human soul can live outside of a living body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nakata when Mrs. Saeki rests her hands against his chest?
2. What is the origin of Kafka's name?
3. What does Mrs. Saeki ask Nakata to do with her memoirs?
4. How do Nakata and Hoshino know that the entrance stone is working?
5. How does Mrs. Saeki react when Kafka confronts her about the possibility that she is his mother?
6. Why did Mrs. Saeki first open the entrance stone?
7. What happens with Mrs. Saeki sleepwalks into Kafka's bedroom?
8. What arrangements does Colonel Sanders make for Nakata and Hoshino while the police are on their manhunt?
9. What book did Mrs.Saeki write after collecting interviews?
10. Why does Oshima wake Kafka in the middle of the night with a frantic phone call?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)