|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request does Johnny Walker make of Nakata?
(a) He asks Nakata to catch cats for him.
(b) He asks Nakata to kill him.
(c) He asks Nakata to pray for him.
(d) He asks Nakata to turn him in to the police.
2. What is the name of Kafka's imaginary companion?
3. How long is the first bus ride on the day that Kafka runs away from home?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Ten hours.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Four hours.
4. Which of the following items is NOT something Kafka steals from his father before running away?
(a) His money.
(b) His diary.
(c) His cell phone.
(d) His knife.
5. During what year did the children pass out in the woods?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny Walker promise to give to Nakata in exchange for his help?
2. What type of fish falls from the sky, exactly as prophesied?
3. What creature falls from the sky while Nakata is watching the beating at the truck stop?
4. Which of the following short stories by Franz Kafka does Kafka discuss with Oshima?
5. When Kafka wakes up in the middle of a blackout, where has he sleepwalked to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the two soldiers that went for a walk in the woods surrounding Oshima's cabin?
2. How does Mrs. Saeki respond when Nakata bursts into her office demanding to talk about the entrance stone?
3. How does Kafka react to the desolate village that the Japanese soldiers guide him to?
4. How does Kafka spend his first day of freedom in the city?
5. How does Nakata react to Johnny Walker's request to kill him?
6. What does Mrs. Saeki ask Nakata to do with her memoirs?
7. What are the themes of the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
8. What realization does the white cat, Otsuka, make about Nakata?
9. Who is Sakura?
10. While wandering through the woods, what disturbing dream does Kafka have about Sakura?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)