|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Nakata remind Hoshino of?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His brother.
(d) His father.
2. Which of the following characters says that, "Fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions"?
3. Which of the following books does Kafka read in the hotel room where he is sleeping?
(a) The Catcher in the Rye.
(b) The Arabian Nights.
(c) The Grapes of Wrath.
(d) The Bible.
4. How long does Kafka spend unattended at Oshima's cottage?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three weeks.
5. When Kafka wakes up in the middle of a blackout, where has he sleepwalked to?
(a) The clearing in the woods.
(b) A tiny wooden cottage at the end of town.
(c) A religious shrine.
(d) The edge of the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following short stories by Franz Kafka does Kafka discuss with Oshima?
2. What type of animal is Goma?
3. What did Mrs. Saeki's boyfriend's family sell for a living?
4. Where does Oshima find Kafka a place to sleep?
5. What type of fish falls from the sky, exactly as prophesied?
Short Essay Questions
1. What note does Sakura leave for Kafka when she leaves for work in the morning?
2. What happens when Kafka wakes from a blackout at a religious shrine?
3. What warning does Oshima give to Kafka before dropping him off at the cabin in the woods?
4. What is Goma?
5. How does Johnny Walker entice Nakata to kill him?
6. What does Hoshino do during the time that Nakata sleeps at their hotel?
7. What does Kafka steal from his father before he runs away from home?
8. How does the police officer on duty react to Nakata's confession of stabbing a man to death?
9. What complaints do the two serious women make about the library where Oshima and Kafka work?
10. What conclusion did Doctor Nakazawa reach after testing the sixteen school children found unconscious in the woods?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)