|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only other person that Kafka encounters as he is wandering through the woods?
(a) A Japanese soldier.
(b) He does not encounter any other person.
(c) A small, frightened girl.
(d) Mrs. Saeki's spirit.
2. Who is the director of the films that Hoshino watches back to back?
(a) Jean-Luc Godard.
(b) Claude Chabrol.
(c) Francois Truffaut.
(d) Alain Resnais.
3. Who does Hoshino wait to hear from before closing the entrance stone?
(b) Colonel Sanders.
(c) Johnny Walker.
(d) Mrs. Saeki.
4. What part of Hoshino's body pains him until Nakata fixes it for him?
(a) His spine.
(b) He neck.
(c) His knees.
(d) His ankle.
5. From where did Hoshino steal the entrance stone?
(a) From a religious shrine.
(b) From a river.
(c) From a playground.
(d) From a cemetery.
6. When Mrs. Saeki rests her hand on Nakata's chest, what rushes into him?
7. Which war does Oshima have a fantasy of fighting in?
(a) The Spanish Civil War.
(c) Desert Storm.
(d) The American Civil War.
8. What type of people did Mrs. Saeki write a book about?
(a) People who had died and come back to life.
(b) People who had been abandoned as children.
(c) People who had been struck by lightning.
(d) People who had unusual animals as pets.
9. What is the name of Oshima's only brother?
10. What does Kafka bring with him into the woods in case he should decide to kill himself?
(a) A gun.
(b) A knife.
(c) A noose.
(d) A handful of arsenic.
11. What is the first thing Nakata requests after waking from his nap?
(d) More sleep.
12. What does Kafka feel connected to in nature as he is wandering through the woods?
(a) The songs.
(b) The scents.
(c) The cadence.
(d) The rhythm.
13. What is pachinko?
(a) A gambling game.
(c) A child's toy.
(d) A type of sticky rice.
14. What does Mrs. Saeki ask Nakata to do with the stack of papers she has written about her life?
(a) Burn them.
(b) Treasure them.
(c) Publish them.
(d) Deliver them to her son.
15. How does Mrs. Saeki react when Nakata begs to speak with her about the entrance stone?
(a) She closes the door for privacy.
(b) She kicks Nakata out of her office.
(c) She pretends not to know what Nakata is talking about.
(d) She calls the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dream does Kafka have about Sakura when he is lost in the woods?
2. Which of the following characters lies about seeing Kafka in order to protect him from the searching police?
3. Who has arranged for Nakata to live in the free apartments provided by the government?
4. Where was Kafka's father when he was struck by lightning?
5. Who arranges for Nakata to stay at a posh apartment while the police are searching for him?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)