|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Saeki react when Nakata begs to speak with her about the entrance stone?
(a) She closes the door for privacy.
(b) She pretends not to know what Nakata is talking about.
(c) She calls the police.
(d) She kicks Nakata out of her office.
2. How old is Mrs. Saeki's spirit that keeps Kafka company in the deserted village?
(a) Twenty years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Five years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
3. Which war does Oshima have a fantasy of fighting in?
(a) The American Civil War.
(b) Desert Storm.
(c) The Spanish Civil War.
4. What dream does Kafka have about Sakura when he is lost in the woods?
(a) That he attacks her.
(b) That he kills her.
(c) That he marries her.
(d) That he saves her life.
5. After Nakata dies, who inherits his ability to understand animals?
(d) The ability is lost forever.
6. How old was Mrs. Saeki when she opened the entrance stone for the first time?
7. Which of the following phrases does Mrs. Saeki use to describe herself?
(a) A mysterious soul.
(b) An incomplete shadow.
(c) A boundless body.
(d) A separated whole.
8. Which of the following characters accidentally admits to being from the same area where Kafka's father was murdered?
(b) Mrs. Saeki.
9. Why does Kafka think his mother abandoned him?
(a) Because she was afraid of loving him.
(b) Because she hated him.
(c) Because his father demanded it.
(d) Because she was not his real mother.
10. What color is the entrance stone?
11. What beverage does Kafka bring to Mrs. Saeki every day at the same time?
12. How does the entrance stone change before it opens?
(a) It grows heavier.
(b) It changes color.
(c) It begins to float.
(d) It begins to disappear.
13. Which of the following spirits frequents Kafka's bedroom while he is sleeping?
(a) A scarred infant child.
(b) A middle-aged man in a business suit.
(c) A beautiful young woman.
(d) A scruffy old man.
14. Who closes the entrance stone?
(c) Mrs. Saeki.
15. What is the one thing that Hoshino wishes he could change about himself?
(a) He wishes he was thinner.
(b) He wishes he was stronger.
(c) He wishes he was smarter.
(d) He wishes he was better looking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is NOT a theme in the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
2. Who tells Hoshino that he is "a spirit - neither god not Buddha"?
3. Where does Hoshino promise to take Nakata when things blow over with the police?
4. What type of store does Oshima's brother own?
5. What does Mrs. Saeki claim defines Kafka even though he is very young?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)