|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Mrs. Saeki when she opened the entrance stone for the first time?
2. How old is Mrs. Saeki's spirit that keeps Kafka company in the deserted village?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Twenty years old.
(c) Five years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
3. Where does Oshima find a copy of Mrs. Saeki's hit song on vinyl?
(a) In the library's collection.
(b) In his mother's collection.
(c) On the Internet.
(d) In a garbage dump.
4. What is the only situation in which a human soul can live outside of a living body?
(a) If the soul has been split.
(b) There is no way for the soul and body to be separated.
(c) If the body is evil.
(d) If the soul is angelic.
5. Where does Kafka embrace Mrs. Saeki for the first time?
(a) At the library.
(b) At the beach.
(c) At the movie theater.
(d) At the grocery store.
6. From where did Hoshino steal the entrance stone?
(a) From a religious shrine.
(b) From a cemetery.
(c) From a playground.
(d) From a river.
7. What classical musician is the topic of conversation at the coffee shop that Hoshino frequents?
8. How was Mrs. Saeki punished for opening the entrance stone?
(a) With everlasting life.
(b) With a song that would never leave her head.
(c) With the inability to love.
(d) With no memory of her past.
9. What is the name of Oshima's only brother?
10. What happens to Mrs. Saeki after Nakata leaves the library?
(a) She faints.
(b) She begins to weep.
(c) She dies.
(d) She is arrested.
11. After Nakata dies, who inherits his ability to understand animals?
(b) The ability is lost forever.
12. What does Mrs. Saeki ask Nakata to do with the stack of papers she has written about her life?
(a) Deliver them to her son.
(b) Treasure them.
(c) Publish them.
(d) Burn them.
13. What relationship does Kafka think he has with Mrs. Saeki?
(a) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his grandmother.
(b) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his aunt.
(c) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his mother.
(d) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his sister.
14. Who is the director of the films that Hoshino watches back to back?
(a) Jean-Luc Godard.
(b) Alain Resnais.
(c) Claude Chabrol.
(d) Francois Truffaut.
15. Which of the following groups of people disappeared in the woods near Oshima's cabin?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nakata feel after the entrance stone is flipped?
2. What is the name of the philosopher that the prostitute recites, that Hoshino meets?
3. Whose spirit does Mrs. Saeki think is living inside Kafka's body?
4. What form does pure evil take when it tries to sneak through the entrance stone?
5. Which of the following Greek mythologies is a parallel to Kafka's life?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)