|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Nakata falls asleep, how long does he usually slumber?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 24 hours.
2. Which of the following is NOT something Hoshino does to pass the time while Nakata sleeps?
(a) Eating food.
(c) Reading a book.
(d) Drinking alcohol.
3. Who tells Hoshino that he is "a spirit - neither god not Buddha"?
(a) Colonel Sanders.
(d) Johnny Walker.
4. Which of the following characters lies about seeing Kafka in order to protect him from the searching police?
(c) Mrs. Saeki.
5. Which of the following characters encounters Johnny Walker while walking through the woods?
6. Which of the following items is NOT a theme in the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
(b) The Sphynx.
7. Who was Mrs. Saeki trying to save when she opened the entrance stone?
(a) Her lover.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her son.
8. When Mrs. Saeki rests her hand on Nakata's chest, what rushes into him?
9. Which war does Oshima have a fantasy of fighting in?
(b) Desert Storm.
(c) The Spanish Civil War.
(d) The American Civil War.
10. Where was Kafka's father when he was struck by lightning?
(a) At the golf course.
(b) Swimming in the ocean.
(c) At the apple orchard.
(d) In the shower.
11. What type of people did Mrs. Saeki write a book about?
(a) People who had unusual animals as pets.
(b) People who had been struck by lightning.
(c) People who had been abandoned as children.
(d) People who had died and come back to life.
12. Which of the following Greek mythologies is a parallel to Kafka's life?
13. Which of the following phrases does Mrs. Saeki use to describe herself?
(a) An incomplete shadow.
(b) A mysterious soul.
(c) A boundless body.
(d) A separated whole.
14. What weather storms into the city after Hoshino steals the entrance stone?
15. Which of the following is NOT something that ceases to matter in the deserted village?
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Hoshino steal the entrance stone?
2. Who arranges for Nakata to stay at a posh apartment while the police are searching for him?
3. How old was Mrs. Saeki when she opened the entrance stone for the first time?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Saeki's spirit?
5. On what day do Nakata and Hoshino arrive at the library?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)