|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kafka bring with him into the woods in case he should decide to kill himself?
(a) A noose.
(b) A handful of arsenic.
(c) A gun.
(d) A knife.
2. What does the word "Kafka" translate to from Czech?
3. What is pachinko?
(a) A child's toy.
(c) A gambling game.
(d) A type of sticky rice.
4. Who do the police suspect has hired Nakata as a hit man?
(b) Johnny Walker.
(d) Mrs. Saeki.
5. What dream does Kafka have about Sakura when he is lost in the woods?
(a) That he saves her life.
(b) That he marries her.
(c) That he attacks her.
(d) That he kills her.
6. What part of Hoshino's body pains him until Nakata fixes it for him?
(a) His ankle.
(b) He neck.
(c) His spine.
(d) His knees.
7. What color is the entrance stone?
8. What relationship does Kafka think he has with Mrs. Saeki?
(a) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his sister.
(b) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his aunt.
(c) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his mother.
(d) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his grandmother.
9. Which war does Oshima have a fantasy of fighting in?
(b) Desert Storm.
(c) The American Civil War.
(d) The Spanish Civil War.
10. Which of the following is NOT something that ceases to matter in the deserted village?
11. Who does Mrs. Saeki think is the boy from the painting in the library?
12. How does Nakata feel after the entrance stone is flipped?
13. Which of the following groups of people disappeared in the woods near Oshima's cabin?
14. Which of the following items is NOT a theme in the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
(b) The Sphynx.
15. When Mrs. Saeki rests her hand on Nakata's chest, what rushes into him?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Nakata falls asleep, how long does he usually slumber?
2. Where does Oshima find a copy of Mrs. Saeki's hit song on vinyl?
3. What type of people did Mrs. Saeki write a book about?
4. What is the first thing Nakata requests after waking from his nap?
5. Whose spirit does Mrs. Saeki think is living inside Kafka's body?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)