|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the entrance stone change before it opens?
(a) It grows heavier.
(b) It begins to float.
(c) It changes color.
(d) It begins to disappear.
2. What beverage does Kafka bring to Mrs. Saeki every day at the same time?
3. Which of the following is NOT something that ceases to matter in the deserted village?
4. From where did Hoshino steal the entrance stone?
(a) From a playground.
(b) From a cemetery.
(c) From a river.
(d) From a religious shrine.
5. Who is the only other person that Kafka encounters as he is wandering through the woods?
(a) A Japanese soldier.
(b) He does not encounter any other person.
(c) Mrs. Saeki's spirit.
(d) A small, frightened girl.
6. Who does Hoshino wait to hear from before closing the entrance stone?
(a) Mrs. Saeki.
(c) Johnny Walker.
(d) Colonel Sanders.
7. What is the name of Oshima's only brother?
8. How does Nakata feel after the entrance stone is flipped?
9. What is the name of Mrs. Saeki's spirit?
(c) She has no name.
10. When Mrs. Saeki rests her hand on Nakata's chest, what rushes into him?
11. Which of the following groups of people disappeared in the woods near Oshima's cabin?
12. What form does pure evil take when it tries to sneak through the entrance stone?
(a) The form of a kitten.
(b) The form of a butterfly.
(c) The form of a salamander.
(d) The form of an otter.
13. What does Mrs. Saeki ask Nakata to do with the stack of papers she has written about her life?
(a) Deliver them to her son.
(b) Treasure them.
(c) Publish them.
(d) Burn them.
14. What type of store does Oshima's brother own?
(a) A cake shop.
(b) A surf shop.
(c) A pet shop.
(d) A tuxedo shop.
15. Why does Kafka think his mother abandoned him?
(a) Because she hated him.
(b) Because she was not his real mother.
(c) Because she was afraid of loving him.
(d) Because his father demanded it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Kafka's father when he was struck by lightning?
2. Who does the spirit really belong to that visits Kafka?
3. Which war does Oshima have a fantasy of fighting in?
4. Who closes the entrance stone?
5. Whose home does the cabin in the desolate village remind Kafka of?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)