|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Oshima's only brother?
2. Which of the following characters encounters Johnny Walker while walking through the woods?
3. What type of store does Oshima's brother own?
(a) A cake shop.
(b) A tuxedo shop.
(c) A surf shop.
(d) A pet shop.
4. Who has arranged for Nakata to live in the free apartments provided by the government?
(a) He arranged it himself.
(b) His sons.
(c) His brothers.
(d) His parents.
5. Where does Hoshino promise to take Nakata when things blow over with the police?
(a) To a botanical garden.
(b) To an aquarium.
(c) To an aviary.
(d) To the zoo.
6. What is pachinko?
(a) A gambling game.
(c) A type of sticky rice.
(d) A child's toy.
7. What does Mrs. Saeki ask Nakata to do with the stack of papers she has written about her life?
(a) Publish them.
(b) Deliver them to her son.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Treasure them.
8. What is the name of the philosopher that the prostitute recites, that Hoshino meets?
(a) José Celestino Mutis.
(b) Marquis de Condorcet.
(c) James Boswell.
(d) Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.
9. What does Colonel Sanders do for a living?
(a) He is a drug dealer.
(b) He is a hit man.
(c) He is a pimp.
(d) He is a con man.
10. Which of the following spirits frequents Kafka's bedroom while he is sleeping?
(a) A beautiful young woman.
(b) A middle-aged man in a business suit.
(c) A scarred infant child.
(d) A scruffy old man.
11. Where was Kafka's father when he was struck by lightning?
(a) In the shower.
(b) At the apple orchard.
(c) At the golf course.
(d) Swimming in the ocean.
12. What film does Kafka watch upon arriving at the desolate village?
(a) Mary Poppins.
(b) The Sound of Music.
(c) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
(d) The Wizard of Oz.
13. Who is asked to kill evil before it can escape through the entrance stone?
14. Who does Mrs. Saeki think is the boy from the painting in the library?
15. Who is the only other person that Kafka encounters as he is wandering through the woods?
(a) A Japanese soldier.
(b) He does not encounter any other person.
(c) Mrs. Saeki's spirit.
(d) A small, frightened girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only situation in which a human soul can live outside of a living body?
2. How long have Hoshino and Nakata spent together by the time Nakato dies?
3. What is the one thing that Hoshino wishes he could change about himself?
4. What weather storms into the city after Hoshino steals the entrance stone?
5. Which of the following Greek mythologies is a parallel to Kafka's life?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)