|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Nakata requests after waking from his nap?
(b) More sleep.
2. What dream does Kafka have about Sakura when he is lost in the woods?
(a) That he saves her life.
(b) That he kills her.
(c) That he marries her.
(d) That he attacks her.
3. What film does Kafka watch upon arriving at the desolate village?
(a) The Wizard of Oz.
(b) The Sound of Music.
(c) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
(d) Mary Poppins.
4. Why does Kafka think his mother abandoned him?
(a) Because she hated him.
(b) Because she was afraid of loving him.
(c) Because she was not his real mother.
(d) Because his father demanded it.
5. Which of the following groups of people disappeared in the woods near Oshima's cabin?
6. How does Mrs. Saeki react when Nakata begs to speak with her about the entrance stone?
(a) She calls the police.
(b) She kicks Nakata out of her office.
(c) She closes the door for privacy.
(d) She pretends not to know what Nakata is talking about.
7. Who tells Hoshino that he is "a spirit - neither god not Buddha"?
(a) Johnny Walker.
(c) Colonel Sanders.
8. What beverage does Kafka bring to Mrs. Saeki every day at the same time?
9. Where was Kafka's father when he was struck by lightning?
(a) At the apple orchard.
(b) Swimming in the ocean.
(c) At the golf course.
(d) In the shower.
10. Which of the following phrases does Mrs. Saeki use to describe herself?
(a) A mysterious soul.
(b) An incomplete shadow.
(c) A boundless body.
(d) A separated whole.
11. Which of the following is NOT something that ceases to matter in the deserted village?
12. How does Johnny Walker react when someone tries to kill him in the woods?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He faints.
(c) He weeps.
(d) He ignores the attack completely.
13. How was Mrs. Saeki punished for opening the entrance stone?
(a) With the inability to love.
(b) With everlasting life.
(c) With a song that would never leave her head.
(d) With no memory of her past.
14. Who is the only other person that Kafka encounters as he is wandering through the woods?
(a) A Japanese soldier.
(b) A small, frightened girl.
(c) He does not encounter any other person.
(d) Mrs. Saeki's spirit.
15. Where does Oshima find a copy of Mrs. Saeki's hit song on vinyl?
(a) On the Internet.
(b) In his mother's collection.
(c) In the library's collection.
(d) In a garbage dump.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who closes the entrance stone?
2. Whose spirit does Mrs. Saeki think is living inside Kafka's body?
3. What does Colonel Sanders do for a living?
4. Who is the director of the films that Hoshino watches back to back?
5. What happens to Mrs. Saeki after Nakata leaves the library?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)