|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Kafka's father when he was struck by lightning?
(a) Swimming in the ocean.
(b) At the apple orchard.
(c) In the shower.
(d) At the golf course.
2. Which of the following is NOT something that ceases to matter in the deserted village?
3. Whose home does the cabin in the desolate village remind Kafka of?
(c) His father's.
4. Where does Hoshino promise to take Nakata when things blow over with the police?
(a) To a botanical garden.
(b) To the zoo.
(c) To an aviary.
(d) To an aquarium.
5. Which of the following Greek mythologies is a parallel to Kafka's life?
6. How old was Mrs. Saeki when she opened the entrance stone for the first time?
7. What does Nakata decide is the location where the portal from the entrance stone has been opened?
(a) The library.
(b) The religious shrine.
(c) The woods.
(d) The river.
8. Who does Hoshino wait to hear from before closing the entrance stone?
(b) Colonel Sanders.
(c) Mrs. Saeki.
(d) Johnny Walker.
9. Who is the only other person that Kafka encounters as he is wandering through the woods?
(a) A small, frightened girl.
(b) Mrs. Saeki's spirit.
(c) He does not encounter any other person.
(d) A Japanese soldier.
10. What weather storms into the city after Hoshino steals the entrance stone?
11. What type of store does Oshima's brother own?
(a) A tuxedo shop.
(b) A cake shop.
(c) A surf shop.
(d) A pet shop.
12. What dream does Kafka have about Sakura when he is lost in the woods?
(a) That he marries her.
(b) That he attacks her.
(c) That he kills her.
(d) That he saves her life.
13. What does Mrs. Saeki ask Nakata to do with the stack of papers she has written about her life?
(a) Publish them.
(b) Deliver them to her son.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Treasure them.
14. Who tells Hoshino that he is "a spirit - neither god not Buddha"?
(c) Colonel Sanders.
(d) Johnny Walker.
15. Which of the following items is NOT a theme in the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
(b) The Sphynx.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Nakata falls asleep, how long does he usually slumber?
2. What happens to Mrs. Saeki after Nakata leaves the library?
3. On what day do Nakata and Hoshino arrive at the library?
4. Why does Kafka think his mother abandoned him?
5. Whose spirit does Mrs. Saeki think is living inside Kafka's body?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)