|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word "Kafka" translate to from Czech?
2. How old is Mrs. Saeki's spirit that keeps Kafka company in the deserted village?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Fifteen years old.
(c) Five years old.
(d) Twenty years old.
3. What color is the entrance stone?
4. Where was Kafka's father when he was struck by lightning?
(a) At the golf course.
(b) Swimming in the ocean.
(c) In the shower.
(d) At the apple orchard.
5. From where did Hoshino steal the entrance stone?
(a) From a river.
(b) From a religious shrine.
(c) From a cemetery.
(d) From a playground.
6. Why does Kafka think his mother abandoned him?
(a) Because she hated him.
(b) Because she was not his real mother.
(c) Because his father demanded it.
(d) Because she was afraid of loving him.
7. What is the name of the philosopher that the prostitute recites, that Hoshino meets?
(a) Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.
(b) Marquis de Condorcet.
(c) James Boswell.
(d) José Celestino Mutis.
8. When Mrs. Saeki rests her hand on Nakata's chest, what rushes into him?
9. What is the only situation in which a human soul can live outside of a living body?
(a) If the body is evil.
(b) If the soul is angelic.
(c) If the soul has been split.
(d) There is no way for the soul and body to be separated.
10. Who does Mrs. Saeki think is the boy from the painting in the library?
11. What does Kafka bring with him into the woods in case he should decide to kill himself?
(a) A knife.
(b) A handful of arsenic.
(c) A gun.
(d) A noose.
12. Where does Hoshino promise to take Nakata when things blow over with the police?
(a) To an aviary.
(b) To an aquarium.
(c) To a botanical garden.
(d) To the zoo.
13. After Nakata dies, who inherits his ability to understand animals?
(a) The ability is lost forever.
14. Who tells Hoshino that he is "a spirit - neither god not Buddha"?
(a) Colonel Sanders.
(c) Johnny Walker.
15. What is pachinko?
(a) A gambling game.
(c) A child's toy.
(d) A type of sticky rice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something that ceases to matter in the deserted village?
2. Which character reminds Kafka that "love is accompanied by sadness"?
3. Where does Kafka embrace Mrs. Saeki for the first time?
4. What beverage does Kafka bring to Mrs. Saeki every day at the same time?
5. Whose spirit does Mrs. Saeki think is living inside Kafka's body?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)