|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Oshima's only brother?
2. What dream does Kafka have about Sakura when he is lost in the woods?
(a) That he marries her.
(b) That he attacks her.
(c) That he kills her.
(d) That he saves her life.
3. Who is asked to kill evil before it can escape through the entrance stone?
4. Which character reminds Kafka that "love is accompanied by sadness"?
5. Who is the director of the films that Hoshino watches back to back?
(a) Jean-Luc Godard.
(b) Alain Resnais.
(c) Claude Chabrol.
(d) Francois Truffaut.
6. What is the name of the philosopher that the prostitute recites, that Hoshino meets?
(a) James Boswell.
(b) José Celestino Mutis.
(c) Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.
(d) Marquis de Condorcet.
7. Who has arranged for Nakata to live in the free apartments provided by the government?
(a) His parents.
(b) His brothers.
(c) He arranged it himself.
(d) His sons.
8. Which of the following items is NOT a theme in the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
(d) The Sphynx.
9. When Nakata falls asleep, how long does he usually slumber?
(a) 6 hours.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) 12 hours.
10. Where does Hoshino promise to take Nakata when things blow over with the police?
(a) To an aquarium.
(b) To the zoo.
(c) To a botanical garden.
(d) To an aviary.
11. Which war does Oshima have a fantasy of fighting in?
(a) Desert Storm.
(c) The American Civil War.
(d) The Spanish Civil War.
12. From where did Hoshino steal the entrance stone?
(a) From a religious shrine.
(b) From a playground.
(c) From a river.
(d) From a cemetery.
13. On what day do Nakata and Hoshino arrive at the library?
14. How does Mrs. Saeki react when Nakata begs to speak with her about the entrance stone?
(a) She kicks Nakata out of her office.
(b) She closes the door for privacy.
(c) She pretends not to know what Nakata is talking about.
(d) She calls the police.
15. What beverage does Kafka bring to Mrs. Saeki every day at the same time?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "Kafka" translate to from Czech?
2. What weather storms into the city after Hoshino steals the entrance stone?
3. What does Kafka bring with him into the woods in case he should decide to kill himself?
4. Which of the following Greek mythologies is a parallel to Kafka's life?
5. Which of the following is NOT something that ceases to matter in the deserted village?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)