|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters encounters Johnny Walker while walking through the woods?
2. Which war does Oshima have a fantasy of fighting in?
(b) Desert Storm.
(c) The American Civil War.
(d) The Spanish Civil War.
3. Which of the following items is NOT a theme in the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
(b) The Sphynx.
4. When Nakata falls asleep, how long does he usually slumber?
(a) 6 hours.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 3 hours.
(d) 24 hours.
5. What is the name of Oshima's only brother?
6. What dream does Kafka have about Sakura when he is lost in the woods?
(a) That he saves her life.
(b) That he kills her.
(c) That he marries her.
(d) That he attacks her.
7. Who does Mrs. Saeki think is the boy from the painting in the library?
8. Where was Kafka's father when he was struck by lightning?
(a) In the shower.
(b) Swimming in the ocean.
(c) At the golf course.
(d) At the apple orchard.
9. What weather storms into the city after Hoshino steals the entrance stone?
10. Which of the following is NOT something that ceases to matter in the deserted village?
11. What part of Hoshino's body pains him until Nakata fixes it for him?
(a) His spine.
(b) He neck.
(c) His knees.
(d) His ankle.
12. What is the one thing that Hoshino wishes he could change about himself?
(a) He wishes he was smarter.
(b) He wishes he was better looking.
(c) He wishes he was thinner.
(d) He wishes he was stronger.
13. What does Mrs. Saeki claim defines Kafka even though he is very young?
14. Which of the following images is the subject of a painting hanging in Kafka's bedroom at the library?
(a) A girl eating ice cream.
(b) A boy at the beach.
(c) Two kittens with a ball of yarn.
(d) A basket of fruit.
15. How does Johnny Walker react when someone tries to kill him in the woods?
(a) He weeps.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He faints.
(d) He ignores the attack completely.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hoshino carry the entrance stone back to his hotel room?
2. What does Kafka feel connected to in nature as he is wandering through the woods?
3. Who is the director of the films that Hoshino watches back to back?
4. Whose home does the cabin in the desolate village remind Kafka of?
5. What is the name of the philosopher that the prostitute recites, that Hoshino meets?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)