|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nakata decide is the location where the portal from the entrance stone has been opened?
(a) The religious shrine.
(b) The river.
(c) The woods.
(d) The library.
2. What is the first thing Nakata requests after waking from his nap?
(a) More sleep.
3. Where does Oshima find a copy of Mrs. Saeki's hit song on vinyl?
(a) In a garbage dump.
(b) On the Internet.
(c) In the library's collection.
(d) In his mother's collection.
4. Who is the director of the films that Hoshino watches back to back?
(a) Francois Truffaut.
(b) Claude Chabrol.
(c) Jean-Luc Godard.
(d) Alain Resnais.
5. Who is asked to kill evil before it can escape through the entrance stone?
6. Which of the following is NOT something Hoshino does to pass the time while Nakata sleeps?
(a) Reading a book.
(b) Drinking alcohol.
(d) Eating food.
7. Who is the only other person that Kafka encounters as he is wandering through the woods?
(a) A small, frightened girl.
(b) Mrs. Saeki's spirit.
(c) A Japanese soldier.
(d) He does not encounter any other person.
8. Which of the following images is the subject of a painting hanging in Kafka's bedroom at the library?
(a) Two kittens with a ball of yarn.
(b) A girl eating ice cream.
(c) A boy at the beach.
(d) A basket of fruit.
9. Whose spirit does Mrs. Saeki think is living inside Kafka's body?
(a) Kafka's father's.
(b) Her dead lover's.
(c) Franz Kafka's.
(d) She thinks Kafka has an empty soul.
10. Where does Hoshino promise to take Nakata when things blow over with the police?
(a) To an aquarium.
(b) To a botanical garden.
(c) To an aviary.
(d) To the zoo.
11. Whose home does the cabin in the desolate village remind Kafka of?
(d) His father's.
12. What film does Kafka watch upon arriving at the desolate village?
(a) The Wizard of Oz.
(b) Mary Poppins.
(c) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
(d) The Sound of Music.
13. What weather storms into the city after Hoshino steals the entrance stone?
14. Who was Mrs. Saeki trying to save when she opened the entrance stone?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her lover.
15. Who do the police suspect has hired Nakata as a hit man?
(a) Johnny Walker.
(b) Mrs. Saeki.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is pachinko?
2. Who closes the entrance stone?
3. Who does Mrs. Saeki think is the boy from the painting in the library?
4. What is the name of the philosopher that the prostitute recites, that Hoshino meets?
5. Who arranges for Nakata to stay at a posh apartment while the police are searching for him?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)