|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose spirit does Mrs. Saeki think is living inside Kafka's body?
(a) She thinks Kafka has an empty soul.
(b) Franz Kafka's.
(c) Her dead lover's.
(d) Kafka's father's.
2. Which of the following spirits frequents Kafka's bedroom while he is sleeping?
(a) A middle-aged man in a business suit.
(b) A scarred infant child.
(c) A beautiful young woman.
(d) A scruffy old man.
3. Who arranges for Nakata to stay at a posh apartment while the police are searching for him?
(b) Johnny Walker.
(c) Colonel Sanders.
(d) Mrs. Saeki.
4. What is the only situation in which a human soul can live outside of a living body?
(a) There is no way for the soul and body to be separated.
(b) If the body is evil.
(c) If the soul is angelic.
(d) If the soul has been split.
5. Who is the director of the films that Hoshino watches back to back?
(a) Alain Resnais.
(b) Jean-Luc Godard.
(c) Claude Chabrol.
(d) Francois Truffaut.
6. What is the one thing that Hoshino wishes he could change about himself?
(a) He wishes he was smarter.
(b) He wishes he was stronger.
(c) He wishes he was better looking.
(d) He wishes he was thinner.
7. What classical musician is the topic of conversation at the coffee shop that Hoshino frequents?
8. Which of the following characters accidentally admits to being from the same area where Kafka's father was murdered?
(b) Mrs. Saeki.
9. Which war does Oshima have a fantasy of fighting in?
(a) The American Civil War.
(c) Desert Storm.
(d) The Spanish Civil War.
10. Which of the following images is the subject of a painting hanging in Kafka's bedroom at the library?
(a) Two kittens with a ball of yarn.
(b) A basket of fruit.
(c) A girl eating ice cream.
(d) A boy at the beach.
11. Which character reminds Kafka that "love is accompanied by sadness"?
12. Where does Hoshino promise to take Nakata when things blow over with the police?
(a) To the zoo.
(b) To an aviary.
(c) To a botanical garden.
(d) To an aquarium.
13. Which of the following phrases does Mrs. Saeki use to describe herself?
(a) An incomplete shadow.
(b) A boundless body.
(c) A separated whole.
(d) A mysterious soul.
14. From where did Hoshino steal the entrance stone?
(a) From a religious shrine.
(b) From a river.
(c) From a playground.
(d) From a cemetery.
15. Which of the following Greek mythologies is a parallel to Kafka's life?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of store does Oshima's brother own?
2. Which of the following is NOT something that ceases to matter in the deserted village?
3. What film does Kafka watch upon arriving at the desolate village?
4. Where does Kafka embrace Mrs. Saeki for the first time?
5. What is pachinko?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)