|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of store does Oshima's brother own?
(a) A pet shop.
(b) A tuxedo shop.
(c) A surf shop.
(d) A cake shop.
2. Who do the police suspect has hired Nakata as a hit man?
(a) Mrs. Saeki.
(b) Johnny Walker.
3. Who is the only other person that Kafka encounters as he is wandering through the woods?
(a) Mrs. Saeki's spirit.
(b) He does not encounter any other person.
(c) A small, frightened girl.
(d) A Japanese soldier.
4. Who does the spirit really belong to that visits Kafka?
(b) Mrs. Saeki.
(c) His mother.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
5. Who is asked to kill evil before it can escape through the entrance stone?
6. What is the first thing Nakata requests after waking from his nap?
(d) More sleep.
7. What relationship does Kafka think he has with Mrs. Saeki?
(a) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his aunt.
(b) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his mother.
(c) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his grandmother.
(d) He thinks Mrs. Saeki is his sister.
8. How does Mrs. Saeki react when Nakata begs to speak with her about the entrance stone?
(a) She closes the door for privacy.
(b) She kicks Nakata out of her office.
(c) She calls the police.
(d) She pretends not to know what Nakata is talking about.
9. How was Mrs. Saeki punished for opening the entrance stone?
(a) With the inability to love.
(b) With everlasting life.
(c) With no memory of her past.
(d) With a song that would never leave her head.
10. What does Mrs. Saeki claim defines Kafka even though he is very young?
11. What beverage does Kafka bring to Mrs. Saeki every day at the same time?
12. Which of the following phrases does Mrs. Saeki use to describe herself?
(a) An incomplete shadow.
(b) A mysterious soul.
(c) A boundless body.
(d) A separated whole.
13. What does Nakata decide is the location where the portal from the entrance stone has been opened?
(a) The river.
(b) The library.
(c) The religious shrine.
(d) The woods.
14. Where was Kafka's father when he was struck by lightning?
(a) At the golf course.
(b) At the apple orchard.
(c) Swimming in the ocean.
(d) In the shower.
15. Why does Kafka think his mother abandoned him?
(a) Because she hated him.
(b) Because his father demanded it.
(c) Because she was not his real mother.
(d) Because she was afraid of loving him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is NOT a theme in the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
2. Which character reminds Kafka that "love is accompanied by sadness"?
3. What does Kafka feel connected to in nature as he is wandering through the woods?
4. Which of the following spirits frequents Kafka's bedroom while he is sleeping?
5. What is the name of Oshima's only brother?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)