|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Johnny Walker claim to be building from the souls of dead cats?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A staircase.
(c) An afterlife.
(d) A flute.
2. What does Sakura do for a living?
(a) She is a hairdresser.
(b) She is a librarian.
(c) She is an elementary school teacher.
(d) She is a model.
3. How does the police officer react when Nakata admits to Johnny Walker's murder?
(a) He ignores Nakata completely.
(b) He does not believe him.
(c) He arrests him immediately.
(d) He is confused by the admission.
4. How long does Kafka spend unattended at Oshima's cottage?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three weeks.
5. When Sakura leaves for work in the morning, what does the note that she leaves for Kafka say?
(a) There were no violent crimes reported in the neighborhood.
(b) It's supposed to rain today, make sure you have an umbrella.
(c) Your father is searching for you, be careful!
(d) Lovely to get to know you, please come again!
6. When Kafka wakes up in the middle of a blackout, where has he sleepwalked to?
(a) A religious shrine.
(b) A tiny wooden cottage at the end of town.
(c) The clearing in the woods.
(d) The edge of the ocean.
7. Where does Doctor Nakazawa practice his medicine?
(a) In the countryside.
(b) In the army.
(c) In the town.
(d) In the city.
8. How does Kafka repay Sakura for letting him sleep on her couch?
(a) He buys her a bouquet of flowers.
(b) He has the oil changed in her car.
(c) He cleans her apartment.
(d) He leaves a twenty dollar bill on the counter.
9. How does Nakata react when he sees some bikers beating a man at the truck stop?
(a) He is enraged.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is amused.
(d) He is terrified.
10. What activity is Kafka partaking in when Oshima finally returns to take him away from the cottage?
(a) He is swimming.
(b) He is cooking.
(c) He is sunbathing.
(d) He is exercising.
11. Where does Johnny Walker keep the severed heads of the cats he has sacrificed?
(a) On his bookshelf.
(b) In the freezer.
(c) Under his bed.
(d) In a display case.
12. What is the first place Kafka visits when he has successfully run away from home?
(a) The library.
(b) The movie theater.
(c) The church.
(d) The shopping mall.
13. What did Mrs. Saeki's boyfriend's family sell for a living?
(c) Soy beans.
14. Which of the elementary school teacher's relatives was drafted to fight in the war on the day the children collapsed in the woods?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her brother.
15. During what year did the children pass out in the woods?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mrs. Saeki's boyfriend attend school?
2. Who does Nakata ask for help in purchasing a train ticket?
3. Who wrote the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
4. Which of the following characters claims to have been born with both female and male genitalia?
5. What is the name of Kafka's father?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)