|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which direction does Nakata want to travel on the Tomei Highway?
2. When Sakura leaves for work in the morning, what does the note that she leaves for Kafka say?
(a) Lovely to get to know you, please come again!
(b) There were no violent crimes reported in the neighborhood.
(c) It's supposed to rain today, make sure you have an umbrella.
(d) Your father is searching for you, be careful!
3. When Kafka wakes from his blackout, who does he first call for help?
4. Who does Nakata remind Hoshino of?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His grandfather.
5. In which of the following establishments did Nakata invest all of his money?
(a) The Catholic church.
(b) The local lottery.
(c) The stock market.
(d) A condo development.
6. How long is the first bus ride on the day that Kafka runs away from home?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Ten hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Six hours.
7. What does Nakata claim is the only joy in his life?
(a) The comfort of a good book.
(b) The love of the church.
(c) The thrill of a mystery.
(d) The company of cats.
8. Where does Oshima find Kafka a place to sleep?
(a) At a motel.
(b) In his own home.
(c) In the library.
(d) At a homeless shelter.
9. While sleeping at Oshima's cottage in the woods, where does Kafka sleep at night?
(a) In a bed with down comforters.
(b) He is too afraid to sleep at night.
(c) In a sleeping bag.
(d) Under the stars.
10. What word fills in the note that Oshima wrote in the margins of Kafka's book: "One must act responsibly for one's ________"?
11. How does Kafka repay Sakura for letting him sleep on her couch?
(a) He leaves a twenty dollar bill on the counter.
(b) He buys her a bouquet of flowers.
(c) He has the oil changed in her car.
(d) He cleans her apartment.
12. Where did Mrs. Saeki's boyfriend attend school?
(a) In Phenom-Pen.
(b) In Hong Kong.
(c) In Tokyo.
(d) In Shanghai.
13. What complaint do the two stern women make about the staff at the public library?
(a) That the library is understaffed.
(b) That the library staff is rude.
(c) That the library staff is unintelligent.
(d) That the library is overstaffed.
14. What activity is Kafka partaking in when Oshima finally returns to take him away from the cottage?
(a) He is swimming.
(b) He is cooking.
(c) He is exercising.
(d) He is sunbathing.
15. What is the name of the young boy who did NOT awaken after the mushroom incident in the woods?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the elementary school teacher claim to see in the sky right before the children passed out in the woods?
2. What is the name of the shy man who helps Nakata onto the train and gets him headed in the right direction?
3. What is Nakata's favorite food?
4. Which of the following is Dr. Shigenori Tsukayama's specialty?
5. Which of the following characters suggests that Nakata finds the other half of his soul?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)