|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Sakura when she ran away from home?
2. Which of the elementary school teacher's relatives was drafted to fight in the war on the day the children collapsed in the woods?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her brother.
3. What is the name of the city that Kafka runs away to?
4. What type of fish falls from the sky, exactly as prophesied?
5. What did the elementary school teacher claim to see in the sky right before the children passed out in the woods?
(a) An airplane.
(b) An atom bomb.
(c) A crow.
(d) A ghost.
6. How does Nakata kill Johnny Walker?
(a) He poisons him.
(b) He drowns him.
(c) He shoots him.
(d) He stabs him.
7. Which of the following words completes this phrase which Johnny Walker said to Nakata: "This is a war and you'll learn how to ___________"?
8. What is the first place Kafka visits when he has successfully run away from home?
(a) The library.
(b) The movie theater.
(c) The church.
(d) The shopping mall.
9. What word fills in the note that Oshima wrote in the margins of Kafka's book: "One must act responsibly for one's ________"?
10. What is the name of the woods where Oshima owns a cabin?
(a) Soseki woods.
(b) Yakumo woods.
(c) Botchan woods.
(d) Kochi woods.
11. What does Nakata claim is the only joy in his life?
(a) The love of the church.
(b) The company of cats.
(c) The comfort of a good book.
(d) The thrill of a mystery.
12. What does Dr. Shigenori Tsukayama conclude happened to the children in the clearing?
(a) They were hypnotized.
(b) They were stabbed.
(c) They were poisoned.
(d) They were voodoo victims.
13. What does Johnny Walker promise to give to Nakata in exchange for his help?
(b) A bag of gold coins.
(c) His memory back.
(d) Eternal life.
14. After Nakata murders Johnny Walker, what changes about him?
(a) He is no longer illiterate.
(b) He gets his memory back.
(c) He is suddenly wealthy.
(d) He can no longer understand cats.
15. What does Kafka claim to be in order to get a discounted rate at his hotel?
(a) A student.
(b) A runaway.
(c) A millionaire.
(d) An orphan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the children failed to awaken after reaching the hospital?
2. In which Japanese city does Kafka live?
3. In which of the following establishments did Nakata invest all of his money?
4. When Kafka wakes up in the middle of a blackout, where has he sleepwalked to?
5. Who wrote the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)