|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kafka wakes up in the middle of a blackout, where has he sleepwalked to?
(a) A religious shrine.
(b) The clearing in the woods.
(c) The edge of the ocean.
(d) A tiny wooden cottage at the end of town.
2. Which of the following weather storms hits Kafka while he is wandering through the woods at Oshima's cottage?
3. Where does Johnny Walker keep the severed heads of the cats he has sacrificed?
(a) On his bookshelf.
(b) In a display case.
(c) In the freezer.
(d) Under his bed.
4. Even though he is mentally challenged, what is Nakata extremely adept at finding?
(a) Hidden treasure.
(b) Lost keys.
(d) His way home.
5. Which of the following characters suggests that Nakata finds the other half of his soul?
6. Which of the following adjectives best describes Hoshino's speech?
7. What is the name of the young boy who did NOT awaken after the mushroom incident in the woods?
8. On the day the children collapsed in the woods, how did the teacher describe her emotional state?
9. What creature falls from the sky while Nakata is watching the beating at the truck stop?
10. Where are women authors shelved in the public library?
(a) Below male authors.
(b) The library carries only female authors.
(c) Mixed in with the male authors.
(d) Above male authors.
11. Which of the following facts is true regarding Kafka's sister?
(a) She was murdered when she was seven.
(b) She is adopted.
(c) She is living in Dubai.
(d) She is younger than Kafka.
12. What request does Johnny Walker make of Nakata?
(a) He asks Nakata to pray for him.
(b) He asks Nakata to turn him in to the police.
(c) He asks Nakata to kill him.
(d) He asks Nakata to catch cats for him.
13. Which of the following characters claims to have been born with both female and male genitalia?
(a) Mrs. Saeki.
14. Which of the following books does Kafka read in the hotel room where he is sleeping?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Catcher in the Rye.
(c) The Grapes of Wrath.
(d) The Arabian Nights.
15. When Sakura leaves for work in the morning, what does the note that she leaves for Kafka say?
(a) Your father is searching for you, be careful!
(b) It's supposed to rain today, make sure you have an umbrella.
(c) Lovely to get to know you, please come again!
(d) There were no violent crimes reported in the neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Kafka when he decides to run away from home?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes the man who calls himself Johnny Walker?
3. How many of the children failed to awaken after reaching the hospital?
4. Which of the following family members does Sakura share an apartment with?
5. What is the name of the city that Kafka runs away to?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)