|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Doctor Nakazawa first responded to the unconscious children, what did he think happened to them?
(a) He thought they were feverish.
(b) He thought they were shot.
(c) He thought they were faking.
(d) He thought they were poisoned.
2. What word fills in the note that Oshima wrote in the margins of Kafka's book: "One must act responsibly for one's ________"?
3. Which of the following facts is NOT true about Oshima's cabin in the woods?
(a) It has only one room.
(b) It does not have a bathroom.
(c) It does not have electricity.
(d) It does not have phone reception.
4. Where was Mrs. Saeki's boyfriend killed?
(a) At a birthday party.
(b) At a student protest.
(c) At a book sale.
(d) At a rock concert.
5. What does Oshima warn Kafka about the woods surrounding his cabin?
(a) It gets very dark.
(b) It is very easy to get lost in them.
(c) He does not warn Kafka about the woods.
(d) It is full of bears.
6. What does Sakura do for a living?
(a) She is a librarian.
(b) She is a model.
(c) She is an elementary school teacher.
(d) She is a hairdresser.
7. How does Nakata kill Johnny Walker?
(a) He drowns him.
(b) He stabs him.
(c) He poisons him.
(d) He shoots him.
8. Who does Nakata ask for help in purchasing a train ticket?
(a) Two school children.
(b) A white tabby cat.
(c) An elderly black man.
(d) Two business women.
9. In which Japanese city does Kafka live?
10. Why do the two stern women complain about the bathrooms at the public library?
(a) Because there is too long a line.
(b) Because they are dirty.
(c) Because they are unisex.
(d) Because there are no bathrooms.
11. Which of the following is Dr. Shigenori Tsukayama's specialty?
12. Where has Oshima found a job for Kafka?
(a) At the library.
(b) At the movie theater.
(c) At the grocery store.
(d) At the elementary school.
13. What does Kafka claim to be in order to get a discounted rate at his hotel?
(a) A runaway.
(b) A student.
(c) A millionaire.
(d) An orphan.
14. What is the first place Kafka visits when he has successfully run away from home?
(a) The church.
(b) The movie theater.
(c) The library.
(d) The shopping mall.
15. Where does Oshima find Kafka a place to sleep?
(a) At a homeless shelter.
(b) At a motel.
(c) In his own home.
(d) In the library.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trade did Nakata learn when he was in elementary school?
2. Which of the following characters suggests that Nakata finds the other half of his soul?
3. What did the elementary school teacher bring the children into the woods to pick on the day they passed out?
4. What is the name of Kafka's imaginary companion?
5. Which of the following characters says that, "Fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions"?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)