|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which part of the paralyzed cats' bodies does Johnny Walker eat while Nakata looks on, horrified?
(a) Their hearts.
(b) Their brains.
(c) Their tongues.
(d) Their eyes.
2. What is the name of the cat that was run over by a bicycle and is now a bit slow?
3. Which of the following characters suggests that Nakata finds the other half of his soul?
4. Which of the following short stories by Franz Kafka does Kafka discuss with Oshima?
(a) In the Penal Colony.
(d) The Hunger Artists.
5. What type of fish falls from the sky, exactly as prophesied?
6. What is the name of the library where Mrs. Saeki works?
(a) Chiba Library.
(b) Edamame Library.
(c) Komura Library.
(d) Makata Library.
7. What is Nakata's favorite food?
(a) Sea urchin.
(b) Frog legs.
8. What is the name of the city that Kafka runs away to?
9. Which of the following facts is NOT true about Nakata?
(a) He is illiterate.
(b) He is a good swimmer.
(c) He has no memory.
(d) He is very poor.
10. Which of the following characters claims to have been born with both female and male genitalia?
(d) Mrs. Saeki.
11. What did Mrs. Saeki's boyfriend's family sell for a living?
(d) Soy beans.
12. How long does Kafka spend unattended at Oshima's cottage?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three days.
13. What is Kafka's last name?
14. In which of the following establishments did Nakata invest all of his money?
(a) A condo development.
(b) The stock market.
(c) The local lottery.
(d) The Catholic church.
15. Which of the following characters says that, "Fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose photograph does Kafka take with him when he runs away from home?
2. How many cats does Johnny Walker kill before Nakata intervenes?
3. What word fills in the note that Oshima wrote in the margins of Kafka's book: "One must act responsibly for one's ________"?
4. Where has Oshima found a job for Kafka?
5. Which of the following words completes this phrase which Johnny Walker said to Nakata: "This is a war and you'll learn how to ___________"?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)