|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the doctors transport the unconscious children away from the site where they fell?
(a) By helicopter.
(b) On the back of a pickup.
(c) On stretchers.
(d) On bikes.
2. What does Sakura do for a living?
(a) She is a hairdresser.
(b) She is a model.
(c) She is an elementary school teacher.
(d) She is a librarian.
3. During what year did the children pass out in the woods?
4. In which Japanese city does Kafka live?
5. Which part of the paralyzed cats' bodies does Johnny Walker eat while Nakata looks on, horrified?
(a) Their brains.
(b) Their tongues.
(c) Their eyes.
(d) Their hearts.
6. On the day the children collapsed in the woods, how did the teacher describe her emotional state?
7. Which of the following books does Kafka read in the hotel room where he is sleeping?
(a) The Grapes of Wrath.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The Catcher in the Rye.
(d) The Arabian Nights.
8. What word fills in the note that Oshima wrote in the margins of Kafka's book: "One must act responsibly for one's ________"?
9. What does Oshima warn Kafka about the woods surrounding his cabin?
(a) It is full of bears.
(b) It gets very dark.
(c) He does not warn Kafka about the woods.
(d) It is very easy to get lost in them.
10. Where does Sakura's boyfriend live?
(a) In Vietnam.
(b) In Burma.
(c) In Japan.
(d) In China.
11. What does Natsume Soseki do for a living?
(a) He is a writer.
(b) He is a photographer.
(c) He is a painter.
(d) He is a sculptor.
12. Even though he is mentally challenged, what is Nakata extremely adept at finding?
(a) His way home.
(b) Hidden treasure.
(d) Lost keys.
13. Where is Sakura going when she boards the same bus as Kafka?
(a) She is heading back to college.
(b) She is going to a job interview.
(c) She is running away from home.
(d) She is going to visit family.
14. Where are women authors shelved in the public library?
(a) Mixed in with the male authors.
(b) Above male authors.
(c) Below male authors.
(d) The library carries only female authors.
15. What party does the political trucker align himself with?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Doctor Nakazawa first responded to the unconscious children, what did he think happened to them?
2. Where does Johnny Walker keep the severed heads of the cats he has sacrificed?
3. What complaint do the two stern women make about the staff at the public library?
4. How does the police officer react when Nakata admits to Johnny Walker's murder?
5. Which of the following activities is NOT a part of Kafka's daily routine?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)