|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mrs. Saeki's boyfriend's family sell for a living?
(c) Soy beans.
2. Which direction does Nakata want to travel on the Tomei Highway?
3. What type of animal is Goma?
(a) A fish.
(b) A cat.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dog.
4. Which of the following short stories by Franz Kafka does Kafka discuss with Oshima?
(c) In the Penal Colony.
(d) The Hunger Artists.
5. What does Sakura do for a living?
(a) She is a librarian.
(b) She is an elementary school teacher.
(c) She is a model.
(d) She is a hairdresser.
6. Which of the following facts is NOT true about Oshima's cabin in the woods?
(a) It has only one room.
(b) It does not have phone reception.
(c) It does not have a bathroom.
(d) It does not have electricity.
7. Whose photograph does Kafka take with him when he runs away from home?
(a) His sister's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His father's.
(d) His own.
8. Where was Mrs. Saeki's boyfriend killed?
(a) At a rock concert.
(b) At a birthday party.
(c) At a book sale.
(d) At a student protest.
9. Why does Crow make fun of Kafka while they are staying in Oshima's cottage?
(a) For being unable to swim.
(b) For sleeping too much.
(c) For being afraid.
(d) For being homesick.
10. Who does Nakata ask for help in purchasing a train ticket?
(a) Two school children.
(b) Two business women.
(c) A white tabby cat.
(d) An elderly black man.
11. Which of the following characters suggests that Nakata finds the other half of his soul?
12. How does Kafka repay Sakura for letting him sleep on her couch?
(a) He leaves a twenty dollar bill on the counter.
(b) He buys her a bouquet of flowers.
(c) He cleans her apartment.
(d) He has the oil changed in her car.
13. When Sakura leaves for work in the morning, what does the note that she leaves for Kafka say?
(a) It's supposed to rain today, make sure you have an umbrella.
(b) Your father is searching for you, be careful!
(c) Lovely to get to know you, please come again!
(d) There were no violent crimes reported in the neighborhood.
14. Which of the following organizations helps Kafka find a cheap hotel to stay in?
15. What does Kafka claim to be in order to get a discounted rate at his hotel?
(a) A runaway.
(b) A student.
(c) A millionaire.
(d) An orphan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the child who discovered the collection of bloody supplies the teacher had been using to clean herself up?
2. What type of fish falls from the sky, exactly as prophesied?
3. What is the first place Kafka visits when he has successfully run away from home?
4. Even though he is mentally challenged, what is Nakata extremely adept at finding?
5. Who prophesies that fish will fall from the sky?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)