|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which of the following establishments did Nakata invest all of his money?
(a) The Catholic church.
(b) The local lottery.
(c) The stock market.
(d) A condo development.
2. What career path made Adolf Eichmann famous?
(a) He was an anthropologist.
(b) He was an architect.
(c) He was a psychologist.
(d) He was a nazi.
3. What request does Johnny Walker make of Nakata?
(a) He asks Nakata to catch cats for him.
(b) He asks Nakata to kill him.
(c) He asks Nakata to turn him in to the police.
(d) He asks Nakata to pray for him.
4. Which of the following family members does Sakura share an apartment with?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her brother.
5. What does Kafka claim to be in order to get a discounted rate at his hotel?
(a) A student.
(b) An orphan.
(c) A runaway.
(d) A millionaire.
6. Who wrote the song "Kafka on the Shore"?
(c) Mrs. Saeki.
7. Where has Oshima found a job for Kafka?
(a) At the movie theater.
(b) At the library.
(c) At the elementary school.
(d) At the grocery store.
8. Which of Nakata's relatives lost all of his money to loan sharks, leaving Nakata destitute?
(a) His brother.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His nephew.
(d) His cousin.
9. Which of the following is Dr. Shigenori Tsukayama's specialty?
10. Which of the following adjectives best describes the man who calls himself Johnny Walker?
11. Even though he is mentally challenged, what is Nakata extremely adept at finding?
(b) Lost keys.
(c) His way home.
(d) Hidden treasure.
12. How old is Kafka when he decides to run away from home?
13. Where are women authors shelved in the public library?
(a) Above male authors.
(b) The library carries only female authors.
(c) Mixed in with the male authors.
(d) Below male authors.
14. Which of the following weather storms hits Kafka while he is wandering through the woods at Oshima's cottage?
15. When Kafka first meets Sakura, what does he wonder about her?
(a) If she is his girlfriend.
(b) If she is his aunt.
(c) If she is his sister.
(d) If she is his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woods where Oshima owns a cabin?
2. Which of the following facts is NOT true about Nakata?
3. What complaint do the two stern women make about the staff at the public library?
4. What word fills in the note that Oshima wrote in the margins of Kafka's book: "One must act responsibly for one's ________"?
5. Which of the following facts is true regarding Kafka's sister?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)