|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Myers want to drink when Stevenson and O'Connor spoke to him in Chapter 7?
2. How long after Ronda Morrison's murder was McMillian's truck converted to a low-rider?
3. In Chapter 12, where did Marsha Colbey and her husband go?
4. Where was Clarence Brantley from?
5. How old was Evan Miller when he began attempting to commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Marsha Colbey give her kids her heart?
2. What was Judge Norton's ruling on McMillian's appeal in Chapter 11?
3. Why did Stevenson's office in Atlanta sue Angola Prison?
4. What campaign was lead by Dorothea Dix and Reverend Louis Wright in the late nineteenth century?
5. Why was George Stinney executed?
6. Who was John Patterson?
7. What was Joe Sullivan indicted for and why?
8. Why was it so difficult to get money for wrongful imprisonment?
9. In Chapter 11, why was Stevenson optimistic about what evidence in the McMillian case might accomplish in the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals?
10. What was eventually discovered about the doctor who declared George Daniel sane to stand trial for murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stevenson noticed how history played a role in justice. How did Stevenson see the way that history influenced the American justice system? How did history continue to influence the justice system? How did that affect the cases that Stevenson worked on?
Essay Topic 2
Stevenson believed that immature brains and childhood experiences contributed to criminal behavior in juveniles. What cases led Stevenson to believe that immaturity and childhood experiences contributed to criminal behavior in juveniles? How were adolescent brains different from adults’ brains? How did that lead to criminal behavior? What were some examples of traumatic experiences from childhood that lead to criminal behavior? Why did Stevenson believe that being an adolescent and childhood experiences contributed to criminal behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Stevenson’s grandmother always told him to “Keep close.” What did his grandmother mean by that statement? How could keeping close help Stevenson in life and give him a proper perspective? How did that statement influence Stevenson?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)