|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Assistant Attoney General Don Valeska in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 7, how many years had it been since McMillian's trial?
3. In Chapter 13, how long had Sheriff Tate been sheriff continuously?
4. In Chapter 11, how long had McMillian been on death row?
5. In 1992, how many people were executed in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, why was Stevenson optimistic about what evidence in the McMillian case might accomplish in the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals?
2. What was Joe Sullivan indicted for and why?
3. What issues were there when Stevenson got to the courtroom on the second day of the Rule 32 Hearing?
4. Why did Stevenson's office in Atlanta sue Angola Prison?
5. What was solitary confinement like at Apalachee?
6. Why was Trina Garnett arrested for?
7. Why did McMillian have to quit his logging business?
8. What campaign was lead by Dorothea Dix and Reverend Louis Wright in the late nineteenth century?
9. What was Bernard Harcourt's background?
10. In Chapter 9, what did Judge Norton say about the length of the Rule 32 hearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the introduction, Stevenson discusses individual character. How does Stevenson define character and what it means for individuals? What does he believe affects one’s character? How does he feel that character can be measured?
Essay Topic 2
Stevenson saw power in hope. How long did it take Stevenson to realize the importance and power of hope? How was hope demonstrated by Stevenson and his clients? In what ways was hope a powerful tool for Stevenson, his staff, and his clients?
Essay Topic 3
Stevenson learned about mercy from his clients. What did Stevenson believe it meant to have mercy? How did his clients teach him about mercy? What did mercy and its role in life and justice mean to Stevenson?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)