|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, how many volumes were there of trial proceedings from Walter McMillian's trial?
2. In Chapter 6, how long had George lived with Charlie and his mother?
3. When did the State of Idaho ban interracial marriage?
4. What was the name of McMillian's older sister?
5. How much older was Walter McMilian than Stevenson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Horace Dunkins' execution make national news?
2. What was Myers's version of the murder of Ronda Morrison?
3. How did Stevenson describe his preparation to meet a condemned man in 1983?
4. Where was the SPDC located, and what were the working conditions like when Stevenson worked there?
5. What did McMillian's house look like?
6. Why did Michael Lindsey receive a death penalty instead of life imprisonment?
7. What obstacles did Stevenson face when he opened the nonprofit law center in Tuscaloosa in Chapter 4?
8. Why did Stevenson worry that he made the wrong choice when he began classes at Harvard?
9. As Stevenson spent time with McMillian, what did he learn about the man?
10. What type of business did Walter McMillian establish and how well did it prosper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Like his clients, Stevenson experienced racism. What was the incident Stevenson related where he experienced racism from the police? How did the experiences of racism that he had influence his desire to find justice for clients who had experienced racism?
Essay Topic 2
Stevenson felt like quitting. What made him feel like quitting? What motivated him to keep working in spite of the challenges and setbacks he faced?
Essay Topic 3
Stereotypes often lead to false charges. What were some instances where how a person was perceived or stereotyped a direct cause of their being falsely accused of a crime? How prevalent was stereotyping in the justice system? How did stereotyping lead to injustice?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)