|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between 1975 and 1988, how many executions had there been in Alabama?
2. How many people died by the end of the Attica standoff?
3. How long were Tony Pace and Mary Cox sentenced to prison for violating Alabama's racial integrity laws?
4. What did Stevenson study in college?
5. How much did Stevenson say that he made a year in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles did Stevenson face when he opened the nonprofit law center in Tuscaloosa in Chapter 4?
2. What was McMillians alibi for the time of the murder?
3. What did Stevenson study in college, and why did he decide to attend law school?
4. Where was the SPDC located, and what were the working conditions like when Stevenson worked there?
5. What did McMillian's house look like?
6. Why did Stevenson live with Steve Bright when he first worked in Atlanta?
7. Who was Steve Bright?
8. Why did Horace Dunkins' execution make national news?
9. What happened to Charlie after Stevenson got involved?
10. Where was McMillian's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stevenson began to realize that everyone is broken. In what ways did Stevenson see brokenness in people? How did Stevenson believe that brokenness could lead to hope, mercy, and compassion for one’s self and for others?
Essay Topic 2
Stevenson noticed how history played a role in justice. How did Stevenson see the way that history influenced the American justice system? How did history continue to influence the justice system? How did that affect the cases that Stevenson worked on?
Essay Topic 3
Stevenson believed that immature brains and childhood experiences contributed to criminal behavior in juveniles. What cases led Stevenson to believe that immaturity and childhood experiences contributed to criminal behavior in juveniles? How were adolescent brains different from adults’ brains? How did that lead to criminal behavior? What were some examples of traumatic experiences from childhood that lead to criminal behavior? Why did Stevenson believe that being an adolescent and childhood experiences contributed to criminal behavior?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)